PDA

View Full Version : Quentin Groves to OLB

Scott Wright
10-30-2007, 11:21 PM
Not sure if it's been posted yet but Auburn announced that Quentin Groves will predominantly play outside linebacker the rest of this season. I covered the move in my blog for tomorrow so check it out if you're interested:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/blog/wrightstuff.html

metafour
10-30-2007, 11:38 PM
This "move" is the effect of several different factors all meshing together at the same time:

1) Injury to starting LB Craig Stevens - AU has had a tough time regarding injuries at the LB spot this season, Stevens is the newest injury and isn't playing this week. The backup (due to injuries) is true freshman Bo Harris who isn't ready to handle starting. We're prepping for Georgia and dont want Harris to be thrown into the fire in a huge game.

2) Play of backup Antonio Coleman - Get used to hearing his name because he's a beast. He's a great threat to rush the passer (not far away from Groves) but plays the run significantly better. He leads the team with 6 sacks (and something like 14 tackles for loss) with only about 4 games as a starter this year. He's earned a starting spot.

3) Like Scott mentioned, the coaching staff's willingness to showcase Groves to NFL scouts in the position which he will eventually play. They've been talking about using Groves as a LB for a while now but its not something we've shown often. Now we can do that as it gives us a chance to put the best players on the field, while giving opposition a new "look" to worry about and at the same time showing Groves off to the NFL.

It should be mentioned that this has yet to be called a permanent move.

Scott Wright
10-31-2007, 12:33 AM
It should be mentioned that this has yet to be called a permanent move.

"The Tigers are moving Groves from defensive end to linebacker at least part-time entering the final three regular-season games of his college career, making way for the fast-rising Coleman.

"I've taken on a new role," Groves said Tuesday. "I'm a linebacker now. Different meeting room. Different set of film study."

Source: http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=297662

Don Vito
10-31-2007, 12:38 AM
During the Ole Miss game he spent the majority of the game as a linebacker and played very well. If he continues to play well in Auburn's defense as a LB that would boost his draft stock a great deal. Auburn linebackers thrive off of speed, tackling ability, and instincts - not neccesarily size. Groves is about 250 so if he proves that he can play more positions than tampa 2 DE and 3-4 OLB in the NFL than he will be a much more attractive prospect to many more teams. I know that he fits the bill for everything the Patriots look for in a LB (athleticism, size, versatility) and the Pats could have an early pick if SF continues to lose. He would be an ideal pick for us.

Freddy G
10-31-2007, 07:50 AM
Why!!!!

Now he will show just how beastly we can be and there will be absolutely no way for my Brownies to nab him. I was hoping for some question marks to be around him so he would fall.

In other words, i am pretty confident that he will be successful in the move.

aheineken
10-31-2007, 08:41 AM
Depending on his performance this could either hurt or help his draft stock. It gives him a chance to show what he can do at the position he'll most likely play in the NFL prior to the post season games and combine. If he performs well, 3-4 teams will definitely move him up their boards.

keylime_5
10-31-2007, 09:23 AM
Teams who run a 3-4 defense looking for an OLB probably love the Auburn coaching staff for this. Now at least they can get a sneak peak at how Groves handles the LB position and he can get an early start on learning coverages and things.

derza222
10-31-2007, 10:10 AM
As said, this could really improve his stock from the perspective of 3-4 teams. If the Jets (will have a high pick) and Patriots (could have a high pick) both decide he would be an ideal pick, it will be interesting to see how they maneuver to try and select him.

nvot9
10-31-2007, 01:44 PM
Fortunately the Jets are unfortunate enough to not need to maneuver, as they'll be a top 5 pick and will be able to nab him.

Mr. Stiller
10-31-2007, 06:39 PM
I'd like to see how he plays the run as an OLB now. He was horrendous as a DE against the run, if he's solid against the run as a OLB.. He could be top 10..

And I don't think it matters what system really..

Tampa2 SLB
4-3 Will/Sam
3-4 WOLB.

He could literally play OLB in any scheme.

etk
10-31-2007, 07:27 PM
So basically he's doing what Shawn Crable has already been doing his whole career. This should help him tremendously as a head start for the NFL. Those 2 should compete for 1st tweener selected at 3-4 OLB.

BucSappy
10-31-2007, 08:25 PM
Scott, do you think he can play as a SLB in the NFL in a 4-3 scheme?...the player David Pollack was supposed to be in Cincinnati?

Scott Wright
11-01-2007, 12:20 AM
Scott, do you think he can play as a SLB in the NFL in a 4-3 scheme?...the player David Pollack was supposed to be in Cincinnati?

I didn't and still don't think David Pollack is/was a linebacker in the pros. Groves on the other hand is absolutely an excellent 3-4 OLB prospect, kind of along the lines of Manny Lawson. He is really streaky though so he had better amaze in workouts like everyone is expecting.

Mr. Stiller
11-01-2007, 12:25 AM

If Groves understands Coverage assignments, he could literally Play Will with his speed. But he would be a much better Sam, more like Geathers, but faster.

Don Vito
11-01-2007, 01:58 PM
I'd like to see how he plays the run as an OLB now. He was horrendous as a DE against the run, if he's solid against the run as a OLB.. He could be top 10..

And I don't think it matters what system really..

Tampa2 SLB
4-3 Will/Sam
3-4 WOLB.

He could literally play OLB in any scheme.

Wouldn't you put him at RE in a tampa 2? He has experience at that very position in a scheme that is pretty similar when it comes to the DEs responsibilty.

Physically he has the numbers to play any LB position, but he needs to show that he can cover man to man, drop back in zone coverage, stop the run at the LOS (in the Ole Miss game most of his tackles came after a 5-6 yard run on a receiver running after the catch), and show that he has the instincts to play LB and not rush the passer every down.