PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Mock of the Season

Paranoidmoonduck
10-31-2007, 02:32 AM
1)Miami Dolphins: Glenn Dorsey, DT, Louisiana State
The Dolphins seeming lack of need at most of the positions you'd expect a team picking this high to be less than stocked at leads this pick. Although Dorsey has been playing inconsistent as of late, his physical tools and ability to be a disruptive force inside would motivate the Dolphins to find a way to utilize him in their 34 base defensive scheme.
2)New York Jets: Darren McFadden*, RB, Arkansas
If the Jets are committed to Kellen Clemens as their quarterback of the future, then they need to establish a strong running game behind him, and I don't think that Leon Washington alone is going to cut it. McFadden brings an explosive and powerful nature to a running game that's been hurting since Curtis Martin left.
3)Atlanta Falcons: Jake Long, OT, Michigan
Everyone seems to be predicting a quarterback for the Falcons, but I really think that Bobby Petrino's first goal for that team is to establish a power running game. With McFadden off the board, I have the Falcons picking up a man who can clear a path like few others. A mountain of an offensive tackle, it remains to be seen as to whether Long has a future as a blindside blocker in the NFL, but I think that the offense being built in Atlanta would be one of the more friendly schemes to Long.
4)St. Louis Rams: Kenny Phillips*, DB, Miami
After picking up Adam Carriker in the 1st round in this past draft, I have a hard time picturing the Rams investing top 5 money in another defensive lineman. However, I think that defense could use a playmaker, and in this case it comes in the form of a defensive back. Phillips has had his ups and downs this year, but he had a brilliant sophomore season and has impressive versatility.
5)Cincinnati Bengals: Chris Long, DE, Virginia
If Justin Smith leaves as expected in the coming offseason, it'd be hard to imagine a more suitable replacement than Long. Perhaps the most impressive defensive player in college football this year, Long has the lineage and work ethic to inspire this kind of selection despite some concerns about his overall athleticism.
6)Minnesota Vikings: Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky
While head coach Brad Childress seems to be committed to current starter Tavaris Jackson, most feel that the Vikings need a new franchise quarterback as soon as possible. Ultimately, this pick will be decided by whether Childress remains with the team past this season, but Woodson has all the tools and has been remarkably production his last two seasons of college football.
7)Oakland Raiders: Calais Campbell*, DE, Miami
Oakland defense has taken a significant step back this season, and although the run defense is the main culprit, the entire defensive line outside of Pro Bowler Derrick Burgess needs an overhaul. Campbell is solid against the run, but it's in his pass rushing ability that this 6-8 defensive end makes his name. He would bring a double digit sack threat opposite Burgess and add another facet to a defensive squad with potential.
New England Patriots (via San Francisco): Malcolm Jenkins*, DB, Ohio State
This hardly seems fair, doesn't it? The Patriots, having outscored their first eight opponents this season by a collective 331 points, manage to capitalize on the disappointing season by San Francisco and get a top 10 pick. Despite not having many holes, the Pats are not particularly young or deep in their defensive secondary. Jenkins, who is generally thought of as a cornerback, has been seeing some time this season as free safety, giving him and that Patriots secondary a ton of a versatility to work with. And no team values that more.
9)Chicago Bears: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
I had Ryan going to the Bears in my last mock, and I like the pick too much to change it. Despite playing less than stellar during the first fifty-seven or so minutes of the recent Virginia Tech game, Ryan showed us in the final three minutes why teams are going to be willing to take him this high. A bit of a risk-taker, Ryan has the arm to make it work even at the pro level, and has demonstrated remarkable toughness during his career at Boston College.
10) Buffalo Bills: Malcolm Kelly*, WR, Oklahoma
No matter who the QB of the future in Buffalo is, it has been rather apparent this year that Lee Evans cannot be expected (as I don't think any wideout can) to carry the entire receiving load. Although DeSean Jackson is generally considered the top wideout prospect, I think that Kelly is mere inches behind and at 6-4 215 and with a impressive set of hands, he offers a far better counterbalance to Evans.
11) Houston Texans: Sam Baker, OT, Southern California
Yet another pick I kept from my last mock. Houston may have paid a very tall price for Matt Schaub, but from what the kid has shown us this year, it was probably worth it. Now that Kubiak has his franchise quarterback, he needs to ensure that his franchise quarterback doesn't fall to the same pressures that ruined the last franchise quarterback the Texans had. Baker is a very nice fit in Kubiak's zone blocking scheme, plays with consistent technique, and has made a name for himself in passing situations.
12) Arizona Cardinals: Tyson Jackson*, DE, Louisiana State
The toughest part about switching your defensive scheme from a 43 to a 34 is finding and obtaining those players who appear to be perfectly suited for it. Although the Cards may be tempted to pursue an edge rusher for their defense like Quentin Groves or Vernon Gholston, I don't think that either will be impressive enough to keep this pick from happening. Jackson has the frame you look for to play defensive end in a 34 and should even be able to provide a bit of a pass rush out of that position.
13) New Orleans: Sedrick Ellis, DT, Southern California
I said in my last mock that the #8 spot seemed a bit high for Ellis, but with the way he's playing lately, this spot may be too low. Despite seeing time at nosetackle for the Trojans, I really do feel that he does his best work on the move in more of an undertackle role. Luckily, that's exactly what the Saints could use. Ellis' ability to disrupt the interior of the line will do wonders for freeing up that pair of stud defensive ends the Saints have.
14) Denver Broncos: Keith Rivers, LB, Southern California
There really isn't any doubt that the Broncos could use a promising linebacker on that team, nor is there any doubt (personally) that Rivers is the top 'backer in the upcoming draft. A move that would likely lock DJ Williams inside for the long term, Rivers is a sideline to sideline playmaker.
15) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: DeSean Jackson*, WR, California
Considering the lack of top notch talent in this draft and how much value Jackson represents as a return man, this could be way too low for the kid. That said, I didn't see a place to slot him in prior to this pick, and if he did fall to Tampa Bay you can bet they'd be ecstatic. Joey Galloway can't be their deep threat forever.
16) Philadelphia Eagles: Ryan Clady*, OT, Boise State
While I don't think that offensive tackle is necessarily going to be the biggest weakness for the Eagles to address come April, I do think that Clady is too good to pass up. A very large and very athletic player, Clady's ability to play both sides of the line would give him value even if Winston Justice somehow works out playing on the left side.
17) Dallas Cowboys (via Cleveland): Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State
With the signing of Tony Romo to a long term contract, the #1 priority of the Cowboys should be to give him quality targets to throw to. With Owens and Glenn growing older and Crayton far from a sure thing to return, it would seem that acting sooner rather than later would be in the 'Boys best interest. Bowman, the kind of physical talent that could come close to replacing the eventual hole Terrell Owens will leave, has been producing at a very high level all year.
1 Baltimore Ravens: Quentin Groves, DE/OLB, Auburn
Although slotting in Brian Brohm here is immensely tempting, I'm not sure I see it. If Baltimore looks for a quarterback, I'm not sure it'll be in the 1st round, and perhaps filling the hole that Adalius Thomas left or the potential hole that Terrell Suggs will leave in that defense is just as important. Groves, who has experience playing both on the defensive line and standing up, could provide an explosive threat to a team that relies heavily on its defense.
19) Seattle Seahawks: Jonathan Stewart*, RB, Oregon
I'm going to keep making this pick until either the Seahawk's pick and Stewart's stock don't match or until Shaun Alexander finds a time machine. Stewart could function very well in Holmgren's offense, was a local high school star, and the 'Hawks definitely need to sort out their backfield.
20) Carolina Panthers: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
I have no doubt that Brohm dropping this far will surprise some, but I really do feel that he has been less than impressive this season and is the most likely to get picked apart by scouts in the offseason. The Panthers are simply in desperate need of a promising signal caller.
21) Kansas City Chiefs: Ghosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College
By giving Larry Johnson the kind of extension they did prior to this season, the Chiefs committed themselves to a run oriented offense. This would be fine and dandy had practically all their quality offensive linemen recently retired or are on the verge of doing so. Despite some struggles in the past few weeks, Cherilus is a plowing run blocker who can play either side of the line and comes from a school that has produced quality offensive linemen at an impressive rate.
22) Tennessee Titans: Early Doucet, WR, Louisiana State
Vince Young's struggles passing the ball aren't purely based on the players around him, but his selection of targets could certainly use an upgrade. Doucet hasn't been as explosive this year as I was expecting, but he's still a reliable target with decent speed who can flat out go up and get the ball (something that is a plus when Young is throwing the ball).
23) Washington Redskins: Dre Moore, DT, Maryland
I've been expecting the Redskins to draft a defensive lineman with their first pick for what seems like three or four years now, but it hasn't happened. I think the key to that defense getting back to it's dominant old self is a real force inside to aid the suddenly resurgent Andre Carter. Moore has been propelling himself up boards this year and could even wind up in the top 20 with an impressive offseason showing.
24) Detroit Lions: Vernon Gholston*, DE, Ohio State
The Lions have been the surprise team of this NFL season, but that defense is still a bit suspect. The cornerstone of that Tampa 2 defensive scheme is disruptive defensive ends, and while DeWayne White has been impressive of late, they could still use that speed rusher. Gholston is an impressive specimen who could flourish a scheme where his main assignment would be to get after the quarterback.
25) New York Giants: Dan Connor, LB, Penn State
Although this defense seems to have its pass rush worked out, they could still use another consistent starter in that linebacking corps. Connor isn't guaranteed a 1st round selection anymore than former teammate Paul Posluszny was last year, but his solid play and versatility should make him an intriguing package for teams picking in this range.
26) San Diego Chargers: Reggie Smith*, DB, Oklahoma
The Chargers appear to be on track again as a team, but I still think that defense could use a little help in the secondary. With no obvious safety prospect here, the Bolts go for the closest thing there is in Reggie Smith, a versatile defensive back capable of providing a lift at either corner or safety.
27) Pittsburgh Steelers: Rey Maualuga*, LB, Southern California
Perhaps a bit low for a player very highly regarded by some, but with discipline issues both on and off the field, Maualuga doesn't have a sterling record and isn't having a particularly dominant season. A perfect fit the Steelers defense, Rey brings an intensity and a hitting power that would do wonders for an already good run defense.
2 Green Bay Packers: Aqib Talib*, CB, Kansas
Despite solid play from both Al Harris and Charles Woodson, the Packers are sorely lacking depth in their secondary. After getting burned on the Ahmad Carroll pick, I think the Packers opt for a more consistent cover man instead of opting for a small, speedy corner.
29) Jacksonville Jaguars: Derrick Harvey*, DE, Florida
The Jags could very well reach for a quarterback at this point if one or more of the possible candidates outside of the top three have particularly impressive offseasons. As of right now there is no quarterback I see being worth this pick, so Harvey it is. A pure speed rusher, Harvey would be lining up next to the best defensive tackle tandem in the NFL.
30) New England Patriots (forfeited due to league violations)
Bill Belichick is watching you as you read this.
31) San Francisco 49ers (via Indianapolis): Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
Although Limas Sweed has been making highlight reels for a few years now, I always felt that he needed to show a lot more consistency. However, in the year he was expected to put it all together, he gets injured and is expected to miss the entire season. That said, Sweed has a nice size/speed ratio, good hands, and would provide a nice, big target for Alex Smith.
32) Dallas Cowboys: Jack Ikegwuonu, CB, Wisconsin
The Cowboys need a young corner who would ultimately project to playing opposite Terrance Newman. There are a lot of potential corners who could sneak into this spot, including Tennessee St. star Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. However, I like the tough and talented Ikegwuono to be the man the 'Boys settle on.

Green Bay Scat
10-31-2007, 03:35 AM
This is just my personal, unknown prefernce

I believe that the Borncos need a Mike more than a WLB. DJ Williams plays SLB normally and hes quite good at. I wouldnt know who to put their at that position but considering Laurinitus(SP?) is big right now.

Also i think the chargers need more of a SS than a FS like Smith, he could play but Weddle is the future at FS, but Smith could play their i guess

this might just be me but i think the jags could go after a CB, as i dont really like Brian Williams as a starter(Average) and cousin is old. I could see them takin Ikegwuonu

neko4
10-31-2007, 04:46 AM
Great Packers pick

Crow
10-31-2007, 05:33 AM
Ellis > Campbell

Caddy
10-31-2007, 05:46 AM
Desean Jackson in Tampa? Damn right we would be ecstatic.

Bills2083
10-31-2007, 06:43 AM
I love that pick of Kelly. You are right. We really need another WR opposite of Evans.

Great pick :)

falconsrule
10-31-2007, 07:57 AM
Good Atlanta pick

Finsfan79
10-31-2007, 09:18 AM
The Dolphins seeming lack of need at most of the positions you'd expect a team picking this high to be less than stocked at leads this pick. Although Dorsey has been playing inconsistent as of late, his physical tools and ability to be a disruptive force inside would motivate the Dolphins to find a way to utilize him in their 34 base defensive scheme.
If the Jets are committed to Kellen Clemens as their quarterback of the future, then they need to establish a strong running game behind him, and I don't think that Leon Washington alone is going to cut it. McFadden brings an explosive and powerful nature to a running game that's been hurting since Curtis Martin left.
Everyone seems to be predicting a quarterback for the Falcons, but I really think that Bobby Petrino's first goal for that team is to establish a power running game. With McFadden off the board, I have the Falcons picking up a man who can clear a path like few others. A mountain of an offensive tackle, it remains to be seen as to whether Long has a future as a blindside blocker in the NFL, but I think that the offense being built in Atlanta would be one of the more friendly schemes to Long.

I think this would be the perfect situation for Miami to make a trade back. If you look at the possibilities here you have McFadden on the board, an Atlanta team that would love him to be their major impact force on offense. Something to remove the memory of Michael Vick and sell tickets he is the perfect guy in the draft for them.

A trade of a 1st, 2nd and next years 2nd easily could see them jumped to number 1 to take McFadden. Perhaps even less for the cost and would give Miami what they desire a chance for more picks in the depth of the draft for their many many hole filled team.

Just my two cents there, I have no problem with the Dorsey pick.

NIN1984
10-31-2007, 09:38 AM
I am starting to lean towards going O-line in round one. Barry Sims has to go, his time is up. If we want Russell to make it in the NFL we need to protect him. We need new talent on the O-line.

But I understand the Campbell pick.

thebow305
10-31-2007, 11:22 AM

I think this would be the perfect situation for Miami to make a trade back. If you look at the possibilities here you have McFadden on the board, an Atlanta team that would love him to be their major impact force on offense. Something to remove the memory of Michael Vick and sell tickets he is the perfect guy in the draft for them.

A trade of a 1st, 2nd and next years 2nd easily could see them jumped to number 1 to take McFadden. Perhaps even less for the cost and would give Miami what they desire a chance for more picks in the depth of the draft for their many many hole filled team.

Just my two cents there, I have no problem with the Dorsey pick.

We desperatly need a trade back! I hate taking Dorsey or Long or McFadden (him being projected to us is a freakin joke). We have way too many holes on this team to take a Right Tackle, a DT that doesn't fit our system all that well, or a RB when Ronnie is one of the best backs in the league.

Turtlepower
10-31-2007, 11:25 AM
We need a WILL right now and I don't see Connor being that. I actually see Connor playing inside in the NFL. With that being said, I would like the #2 CB/FS in the draft with Reggie Smith. That man is just an animal.

Hines
10-31-2007, 11:29 AM
i absolutely love the steelers pick =)

Scotty D
10-31-2007, 12:13 PM
To all the Miami fans calling for a trade back in the top 3. Good luck with that. Unless your GM takes less than he should it will be a difficult task. Nobody would make a serious offer for one of the best WR prospects ever last year.

Turtlepower
10-31-2007, 12:15 PM
9 times out of 10, a trade into the top 5 would be for a QB. This year, there is no QB that is truly "elite" so there is almost no way a trade would happen. The best bet is to trade up to the late first and snag someone good there.

CLong4Heisman
10-31-2007, 02:09 PM

Why no love for Thomas Jones? He had 16 carries against Buffalo, how are we going to split 16 carries a game?

Paranoidmoonduck
10-31-2007, 06:07 PM
Why no love for Thomas Jones? He had 16 carries against Buffalo, how are we going to split 16 carries a game?

Run the ball more?

I like Thomas Jones, but he's 29 and definitely isn't the long term answer for that team.

BigJohn98
10-31-2007, 06:25 PM
Great Jags pick. I'd poop my pants if we draft Harvey.

23trufant
10-31-2007, 08:32 PM
Great Seattle pick, wish we had him right now.

Canadian_kid16
10-31-2007, 08:49 PM
Desean Jackson in Tampa? Damn right we would be ecstatic.
I agree, he fills about 5 needs for our team

BaLLiN
10-31-2007, 09:01 PM
Connor could be a possibility for the giants

Chucky
10-31-2007, 10:21 PM
I think Desean Jackson would be the absolute ideal pick for the bucs, to be realistic, might even be one of the top 5 prospects I would take for the bucs

Travis 24
11-01-2007, 08:29 AM
I'd much rather see the Eagles address the secondary, with Reggie Smith or Aqib Talib in this one...they don't need a rookie offensive tackle to play next year, they will need some help in the secondary...bad.

T-RICH49
11-01-2007, 11:31 AM
after watching Cherilus the past few weeks I'd pass on him and go with the best CB available

fenikz
11-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Terrible Cardinals pick, we are set at 3-4 DE with Dockett and Smith who are both very young and very good, a 3-4 OLB is a big need, Berry & Chike are always hurt and although Pace has looked good who knows if he can keep it up or if he will even resign

Just give us Groves

brat316
11-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Eagles will go line,

Steelers will go line as well, i doubt the need a lb, if they do it is outside. The offensive line is a mess though.