PDA

View Full Version : Second Year Quarterbacks

no love
10-31-2007, 05:33 AM
This has been a maddening year with all of the younger qbs starting in the league this year. By next year, over 1/3 of the league may be starting a qb with less than 3 years of experience and these are just teams who already have their qb, not including those who might draft a qb.

I suppose you can call this parity...

Does anyone ever remember a time when there were this many young qbs starting in the league? And for those teams who are making the transition to a younger qb, is your offense a good mesh with his skill set or will there be some rebuilding to be done?

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-31-2007, 08:29 AM
is Eli still a young qb? He has yet to have a competent oc in his career.

stephenson86
10-31-2007, 08:33 AM
vince young is struggling, but hes not playing ball the way he did last year, hes trying to be a QB he is not, when the coaches and he figures out whats going on, he will be back

OzTitan
10-31-2007, 08:52 AM
vince young is struggling, but hes not playing ball the way he did last year, hes trying to be a QB he is not, when the coaches and he figures out whats going on, he will be back

I think he's trying to be a QB he has to become. He can't be a one read and the scramble QB his whole career, it was well known he would need to expand his game if he wanted to be a true dual threat.

It's not like he's taking on a full unrestricted offense right now either but his responsibilities have increased with more reads. Not many QB's have the luxury to make a single read and either fire it off or take off with it, most start where VY is right now from the get go with an emphasis on making more than one read before throwing it away/scrambling etc, so while last season was nice experience, this season is where he's starting to really start his passing game learning process. I think it has to be done, better sooner than later.

keylime_5
10-31-2007, 09:19 AM
I'd give Vince a free pass this year even if they weren't a favorite to be a wildcard team like they are. Afterall he's got the sophomore jinx and the madden jinx working against him. Give him a couple more years before we worry about his development.

bigbluedefense
10-31-2007, 11:03 AM
Let Vince grow. Its the only way he'll become the elite qb he wants to be.

By the way I <3 Jay Cutler.

Freddy G
10-31-2007, 11:36 AM
Derek Anderson is only 24 and second in the league in TDs (17).

Anyway, i think the startling point is how successful some of the younsters are. Palmer, Big Ben, Eli (sort of), Rivers etc... granted most of them have grade A teams around them.

ripdw27
10-31-2007, 05:35 PM
if were talking second year starters, id have to say cutler is the best. hes only had 12 starts but manages so well. He really only needs to shore up his vision and awareness of the field but that will come with experience. i love his mobility and arm stregth.

Out of the rookies, i like trent edwards the best. i saw him play against Dallas on monday night a few weeks ago and i thought he was pretty sharp then. i havent seen him play since then but that game really impressed me and if hes that calm and collected as a rookie he will be real good down the road.

3rd year qb - Derek Anderson, i saw he was 2nd in tds behind Tom Brady. your really cant even count tom brady he is playing possessed this year. anyway, anderson has got weapons around him but he knows how to use them (edwards and winslow). theyve bailed anderson out a few times but hes still a good qb.

DWilliams2IndyColts
10-31-2007, 06:04 PM
I remember when in Madden I used to play Derek Anderson instead of Kyle Boller and people would laugh.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-31-2007, 06:40 PM
if were talking second year starters, id have to say cutler is the best. hes only had 12 starts but manages so well. He really only needs to shore up his vision and awareness of the field but that will come with experience. i love his mobility and arm stregth.

Out of the rookies, i like trent edwards the best. i saw him play against Dallas on monday night a few weeks ago and i thought he was pretty sharp then. i havent seen him play since then but that game really impressed me and if hes that calm and collected as a rookie he will be real good down the road.

3rd year qb - Derek Anderson, i saw he was 2nd in tds behind Tom Brady. your really cant even count tom brady he is playing possessed this year. anyway, anderson has got weapons around him but he knows how to use them (edwards and winslow). theyve bailed anderson out a few times but hes still a good qb.

In terms of the 06 class, can anyone really make any argument anymore against Cutler? At least at this very moment as to who is better RIGHT NOW? I don't see it. Leinart sucks, VY is struggling(although he has the potential to surpass Cutler in the future), and Cutler is chugging along with solid numbers and is really one of our very few bright spots.

soybean
10-31-2007, 06:56 PM
quick question, has cutler EVER smiled? I don't think I've ever even seen his teeth let alone smile.

PACKmanN
10-31-2007, 07:00 PM
how about who has developed better so far Rodgers or Smith?

BrownsTown
10-31-2007, 07:02 PM
I would like to point out to all the Leinart haters that VY has a similar passer rating, and the same TD:INT ration. Haha.

Cutler is by far the best so far, but only because the other 2 are sucking something awful.

BroadwayJoe10
10-31-2007, 07:17 PM
We can throw another name into the list this weekend; Kellen Clemens. He will be only making his second career start this weekend against the 'skins and I think it'll be interesting to see what he does against a good secondary. I'll have to imagine after the pats game washington will be ready to show that game wasn't the norm. We'll see if we can put his name up their with cutler and young at the end of the season and theres more of a body of work to gauge.

bigbluedefense
10-31-2007, 07:21 PM
This is why i hate using #s as justification as to why a certain qb sucks or one is better than another.

Trust me, Ive been hearing that nonesense with the Eli Manning debates for 3 years now, and will continue to hear it in the future im sure.

Cutler's numbers aren't entirely impressive, but if you see him play, you see how good he really is. With the right pieces around him, he'll be a stud.

Thats why I never worried too much about Eli. You can see talent. Cutler has it. Young has it too, just let the kid grow. Leinart...not so sure yet. His footwork is horrible and he can't put zip on some throws. But Im not ready to crucify him yet.

BucSappy
10-31-2007, 08:13 PM
quick question, has cutler EVER smiled? I don't think I've ever even seen his teeth let alone smile.

Happens when you play your college ball at Vanderbilt.

KYballer
10-31-2007, 08:37 PM
What ever happened to Charlie Whitehurst

jkpigskin
10-31-2007, 08:37 PM
I remember when in Madden I used to play Derek Anderson instead of Kyle Boller and people would laugh.

*sigh...............
i have found that are alarmingly a lot of qb's who had incredible potential who fizzled....

for 2nd year qb's, i like cutler a lot, i think he will have the best career out of the 3 first round picks of last year....

Xenos
10-31-2007, 09:22 PM
What ever happened to Charlie Whitehurst

He's the third QB in San Diego: behind Billy Volek and Rivers. So yeah, unless something bad happens to both, he's not going to see the playing field. And usually that means that our season has gone down the drain.

PACKmanN
10-31-2007, 09:37 PM
He's the third QB in San Diego: behind Billy Volek and Rivers. So yeah, unless something bad happens to both, he's not going to see the playing field. And usually that means that our season has gone down the drain.

Volek is becoming a FA this offseason and I doubt you guys resign him which makes him the number 2.