PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Silva FS

Don Vito
10-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Jamie Silva has been a 3 year starter for BC at FS. He has played FS and SS, he is playing free for Boston College because almost all of our other safeties are more like linebackers. He likely projects better as a SS NFL. Silva is 5-11 205 and I do not know exactly what he runs, but the BC boards on rivals says he should go at about a 4.5-4.55 (he ran a 4.46 in the spring) and he officially ran a 4.62 out of high school.

Silva is known for his tackling ability, he lays down monster hits and has done a good job wrapping up and not missing tackles (was a problem his sophmore year). His knock before 2007 was coverage, but as of now he has done a great job aside from that interference call against Virginia Tech. He leads the ACC with 5 interceptions, which is also good for tied-4th in NCAA. He has also racked up 64 tackles thusfar, 39 of them solo. He was 2nd team All-ACC last season.

If anyone here as watched him play, please let me know what you think about him and who he reminds you of. Personally, he reminds me of a poor man's Ed Reed. He is great against the run, is a ballhawk, is a playmaker when he gets the ball in his hands, is a great leader, smart/instinctive player, and will not wow you with his measurables but will come out and play hard everyday. Some knocks on Silva could be that he occasionally loses focus and will get called for interference/unsportsmanlike, he is not very tall and will not wow anyone with his 40, and he will occasionally go for the big hit rather than square up and make a sure tackle.

In a relatively weak safety crop, I think Silva has a shot to see his stock go up quite a bit, especially if BC keeps winning. He has performed very well this season and has made it on to most mid-season all-american teams, but he is nowhere to be found on Scott's rankings. I do not see why he is not among the top 25 senior safeties. He may not be a freak but I believe that Silva is vastly underrated, I do not know if this is because he plays in the same secondary as DeJuan Tribble or has been cast under the media-made shadow of Matt Ryan like so many BC players. His play has warranted a 1st day grade in my book and probably most people who have watched some BC games will agree with me.

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1144/F328906.jpg

megansett56BC
10-31-2007, 10:33 AM
no i still think he's a day 2 guy... but he's going to stick on a team because he can become a special teams ace.
he is a ballhawk, but he gets to freelance a little more to get picks when he plays to the same side as dejuan tribble. i don't think he'll necessarily get to play the same way in the pros.

Don Vito
10-31-2007, 10:50 AM
no i still think he's a day 2 guy... but he's going to stick on a team because he can become a special teams ace.
he is a ballhawk, but he gets to freelance a little more to get picks when he plays to the same side as dejuan tribble. i don't think he'll necessarily get to play the same way in the pros.

Yea special teams will be big for him but I think he is a little undervalued. He is pretty complete and has done a lot of good things this year, and I think he helps out this defense, espcially Tribble, a lot more than you think. Tribble has gambled and jumped a lot of short routes this season, which results in a big play for us, but usually the opponents. I noticed that almost everytime he jumps these routes he has had Silva coming up from the 2 deep behind him, Tribble has rarely gambled with Paul Anderson behind him (and rightfully so).

Regardless, I definitely think Silva's stock is on the rise moreso than Tribble, Cherilus, or any BC guy not named Matt Ryan. Call me a homer but I think he is a top 10 senior safety in a weak crop of safeties.

moc182
10-31-2007, 12:35 PM
I think he's a borderline day one prospect. One of the better Senior safeties, which isn't exactly saying much, but he definitely has a very nice skillset.

DrEvil63
11-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Kind of like a poor-man's Troy Polamolu. Hitting and tackling ability. also a playmaker is coverage. Both are allowed to free-lance.