PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Offseason

truth393
11-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Ok guys we're halfway through the season. It that time of the year to scout toward the offseason. So here what I have come up with.

The 2008 FAs as of now:

Tatum Bell- Let Go He already was talking about leaving so I'm 100% sure that he won't be back.

T.J Duckett- Questionable I say we resign him, because he is a decent power back. Plus he looks pretty good went he get his touches.

Boss Bailey- Let Go He's better off with a different team. I don't see us resigning him. Plus with Karlos Dansby most likely hitting the market, and a bunch LB in this coming draft I see us parting ways.

Keith Smith, Stanley Wilson- Resign People might think I'm crazy about us resigning Wilson, but he still young and still learning the system. Coming into this season the coaching staff was thrill with the way Smith was performing in the offseason. He defiantly live up to the expectation of what the coaches expected of him. So I see us resigning him to a 3 year deal he might get a extension before the season end. Almost forgot Travis Fisher he won't be back next year.

Teddy Lehman- Let Go Same situation as Boss Bailey with a deep LB corp in this coming draft I see us parting ways.

Free Agents

1. Karlos Dansby- He will be an upgrade to are LB corp and he still young, and with experience.

2. Justin Fargas- I could see us signing him in the offseason. He will be a solid back-up for Kevin Jones.

3. Offensive Lineman- I say we take a look on the market for the best o-lineman, but if there isn't one that we like wait until the draft.

4. Domonique Foxworth- He will be a good corner on the market behind Asante Samuels. ( he cost to much for us he looking for N.Clement money) With some experience and learning from Champ Bailey under his belt I say we take a look at him. Plus Marnelli love speed and this kid has it.

NFL Draft

Round 1. James Laurinaitis or Malcolm Jenkins- I see us in the range to where one of the two will be available. So either or will be a good pick for us.

Round 2. OT, Terrell Thomas, or Vince Hall- Most likely a offensive lineman will slip to the second round, and if so we the take the best one. If not then we go Thomas or Hall depending on who we take with are first pick.

I can't really come up with the rest of the picks so I'll leave that up to you guy. Oh yeah I think we might end up trying to trade Kenoy Kennedy. I see us going with Gerald Alexender at FS and Daniel Bullock at SS (that the postion we drafted Bullock to play any way)

Scotty D
11-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Ahh this will be fun.

One direction

Free Agency
Let Boss Bailey walk
Re-sign Lehman - I don't think he will be that expensive
Re-sign Travis Fisher and Shaun McDonald to 1-2 year deals.
Re-sign Duckett to a 1-2 year deal.
I would also keep Foster around, but the season is long and I could change my mind from.
I would look at Simeon Rice depending on how his season goes. I'm still interested in him.
Tatum Bell should be released or let walk.
I would check on Al Wilson's health.

Trades
I would maybe dangle Shaun Rogers to see his value. Maybe talk to the Jets about Vilma.
Look for veteran CBs

Draft
1. Sam Baker , LT - I see him slipping.
2. Jonathon Goff , MLB
3. Charles Godfrey, CB

detroit4life
11-01-2007, 09:31 PM
with vilma going down ther jets are going to be able to see what they have in david harris. I would love to see us trade for vilma and get his ability and expierience at MLB. Depending on his health of course. I'd give up a second round plus another pick or a player for him. With his injury he could maybe come cheap. But he'd be a corner stoen for our defense if we got him back healthy

detroit4life
11-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Free Agents

1. Karlos Dansby- He will be an upgrade to are LB corp and he still young, and with experience.

2. Justin Fargas- I could see us signing him in the offseason. He will be a solid back-up for Kevin Jones.

3. Offensive Lineman- I say we take a look on the market for the best o-lineman, but if there isn't one that we like wait until the draft.

4. Domonique Foxworth- He will be a good corner on the market behind Asante Samuels. ( he cost to much for us he looking for N.Clement money) With some experience and learning from Champ Bailey under his belt I say we take a look at him. Plus Marnelli love speed and this kid has it.

any good offensive linemen will have way to high of a price tag for us so i'd forget about that unless he was really worth it. Same with Dansby. He'd be a grweat addition but probly looking for money that we wont want to pay. Im not sure our salary cap situation but it seems like a lot of players are getting inflated contracts on the open market. I could maybe see them opening their wallet for dansby but not for an average Olinemen looking for big money.

I'd take foxworth happily tho we need some depth there and if He fits the cover 2 i say we go after him.

truth393
11-02-2007, 09:40 AM
any good offensive linemen will have way to high of a price tag for us so i'd forget about that unless he was really worth it. Same with Dansby. He'd be a grweat addition but probly looking for money that we wont want to pay. Im not sure our salary cap situation but it seems like a lot of players are getting inflated contracts on the open market. I could maybe see them opening their wallet for dansby but not for an average Olinemen looking for big money.

I'd take foxworth happily tho we need some depth there and if He fits the cover 2 i say we go after him.

We have 16 million in dead money this year from Rogers/BMW, and with other off the books. We should have plenty of cap space.

TacticaLion
11-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Vilma is experiencing an injury that was documented before the 2004 NFL draft... which scares me. If it has a lasting effect on his play, I'd rather draft a stud and groom him in the system/Marinelli way.

Addict
11-02-2007, 04:28 PM
We have 16 million in dead money this year from Rogers/BMW, and with other off the books. We should have plenty of cap space.

YES! I'm so happy that money is now dead and not being spent on those <very nasty things, diseases and sexual stuff>

TacticaLion
11-02-2007, 04:33 PM
YES! I'm so happy that money is now dead and not being spent on those <very nasty things, diseases and sexual stuff>
"After all, someone has to pay for the, uh, lap dances for the big guy (Millen)."

Movie?

detroit4life
11-04-2007, 06:39 PM
wedding crashers

i didnt even realize we had all that money coming off the books. Thats amazing would is be possible for us to go after asante samuels with that money? just a dream but it would be sweet

Addict
11-05-2007, 04:09 AM
wedding crashers

i didnt even realize we had all that money coming off the books. Thats amazing would is be possible for us to go after asante samuels with that money? just a dream but it would be sweet

could be, does he want to come to detroit?

through FA getting Vilma and Samuel... that would be amazing.

LionSmack
11-05-2007, 07:18 AM
Vilma would have to be a trade. With the injury, it may be that his value would be less but I'm sure the Jets will be holding out for a 2nd rounder at the very least. I pray to Baby Jesus that we could get them to take Kalimba as a rush OLB and a 2nd day pick for him.

I know the Pats are known as "financially responsible" but they have shown they will pay the freight for key players, like Richard Seymour for example. I bet you Samuel never gets out of there.

There's still half a season left to go but I like the way Lehman is showing up a little more every game. I like his chances to come back. Bailey, I don't know, but if he leaves then Lehman could go back outside, so we could be in the market for either a SLB or MLB.

Keith Smith has definitely earned a contract, not so much with Stanley Wilson in my opinion.

One thing's for sure: our draft position is looking very different now than a few weeks ago. They will probably draft between 16-24 now, I'd be surprised if we could get Laurianitis or Jenkins there.

aaront22
11-05-2007, 11:32 PM
Ok guys we're halfway through the season. It that time of the year to scout toward the offseason. So here what I have come up with.

The 2008 FAs as of now:

Tatum Bell- Let Go He already was talking about leaving so I'm 100% sure that he won't be back.

T.J Duckett- Questionable I say we resign him, because he is a decent power back. Plus he looks pretty good went he get his touches.

Boss Bailey- Let Go He's better off with a different team. I don't see us resigning him. Plus with Karlos Dansby most likely hitting the market, and a bunch LB in this coming draft I see us parting ways.

Keith Smith, Stanley Wilson- Resign People might think I'm crazy about us resigning Wilson, but he still young and still learning the system. Coming into this season the coaching staff was thrill with the way Smith was performing in the offseason. He defiantly live up to the expectation of what the coaches expected of him. So I see us resigning him to a 3 year deal he might get a extension before the season end. Almost forgot Travis Fisher he won't be back next year.

Teddy Lehman- Let Go Same situation as Boss Bailey with a deep LB corp in this coming draft I see us parting ways.

Free Agents

NFL Draft

Round 1. James Laurinaitis or Malcolm Jenkins- I see us in the range to where one of the two will be available. So either or will be a good pick for us.

Round 2. OT, Terrell Thomas, or Vince Hall- Most likely a offensive lineman will slip to the second round, and if so we the take the best one. If not then we go Thomas or Hall depending on who we take with are first pick.

I can't really come up with the rest of the picks so I'll leave that up to you guy. Oh yeah I think we might end up trying to trade Kenoy Kennedy. I see us going with Gerald Alexender at FS and Daniel Bullock at SS (that the postion we drafted Bullock to play any way)

Truth you must be a mind reader because I have had those exact thoughts about all of our off season needs...with all of those same players in mind, I believe putting those pieces together would really improve this team a great deal.

Addict
11-06-2007, 01:05 PM
perfect offseason would be:

FA/trade: Dansby, Gross, Vilma

Draft: LB (for if vilma turns out to be useless) CB, OL (we still need guards and a tackle)

detroit4life
11-06-2007, 09:39 PM
perfect offseason would be:

FA/trade: Dansby, Gross, Vilma

Draft: LB (for if vilma turns out to be useless) CB, OL (we still need guards and a tackle)

do u rly think we need guards? seems like we have decent talent/depth at that position

Addict
11-07-2007, 01:28 AM
do u rly think we need guards? seems like we have decent talent/depth at that position

Woody is not as talented as his salary is big.

TacticaLion
11-07-2007, 04:47 AM
Woody is not as talented as his salary is big.

He restructured to stay with the team...

... but he's not worth a dime.

Bootland27
11-07-2007, 10:16 AM
I read somewhere that this is Woody's contract year.

detroit4life
11-07-2007, 01:53 PM
i wasnt talking about woody though. It seems like peterman has been playing well and we just signed mutilato. Also foster could be moved inside in we were to get a new OT or jon scott could go at RT

Bootland27
11-07-2007, 06:33 PM
i wasnt talking about woody though. It seems like peterman has been playing well and we just signed mutilato. Also foster could be moved inside in we were to get a new OT or jon scott could go at RT

I know... it was in response to tactica and addict. But I agree, we don't need more guards with guys like peterman, mulitalo and the drafting of Manny Ramirez

Scotty D
11-07-2007, 07:08 PM
I'd like to see Manny play, he is a perfect fit for our offense. I like Frank Davis also, he is usually lost in the shuffle.

detroit4life
11-07-2007, 10:04 PM
exactly it seems to me like we have a decent amount of talented guards i think the only position we should look at on our oline is to see if we can get an upgrade at LT and move backus over to RT.

TacticaLion
11-07-2007, 10:11 PM
exactly it seems to me like we have a decent amount of talented guards i think the only position we should look at on our oline is to see if we can get an upgrade at LT and move backus over to RT.

Agreed. I'm beginning not to care how much money we'll have invested in our OTs... lets solidify the left side and upgrade the right side with Backus. Money? This is the NFL. Win games and it'll pay for itself.

I like our guards, though.

detroit4life
11-08-2007, 04:45 PM
if we were able to upgrade our LT and move backus over we'd have a really great line

Scotty D
11-08-2007, 05:48 PM
if we were able to upgrade our LT and move backus over we'd have a really great line

The only thing is I don't Backus will move over for a rookie. Backus is bad but he will probably out perform a rookie unless we get a stud. It will only cause problems.

Pocket
11-08-2007, 07:25 PM
This offseason doesn't need to add some amazing player from FA to make me happy. Adding depth and experience in the defensive backfield and linebacker positions, along with adding a starter somewhere on defense in the draft or on the offensive line would satisfy me.

Adding Vilma, Dansby, Gross or Samuel wouldn't bother me at all.... :P

asmitty45
11-08-2007, 08:26 PM
I heard Vilma might be out for 2 years, he might need Microfracture surgery. Thought id throw that out there since I know I'd love to have him, but if he's injured id rather have Laurinitis.

Actually I think Laurinitis followed by Vince Hall should be our top 2 targets. And i think resigning keith smith is essential, he actually looks like starting CB this year.

Scotty D
11-08-2007, 08:28 PM
I heard Vilma might be out for 2 years, he might need Microfracture surgery. Thought id throw that out there since I know I'd love to have him, but if he's injured id rather have Laurinitis.

Actually I think Laurinitis followed by Vince Hall should be our top 2 targets. And i think resigning keith smith is essential, he actually looks like starting CB this year.

I agree we should just forget about Vilma. Laurinitis is an animal and I would welcome him to the team with open arms. Like you said about Keith Smith I actually like our CBs. There isn't really one I want to kick to the curb, I would just like to add a #1 or 2 to the group.

TacticaLion
11-08-2007, 10:56 PM
I agree we should just forget about Vilma. Laurinitis is an animal and I would welcome him to the team with open arms. Like you said about Keith Smith I actually like our CBs. There isn't really one I want to kick to the curb, I would just like to add a #1 or 2 to the group.

I wouldn't mind upgrading over Travis Fisher... but, I like Smith and Bryant and Wilson is solid. Imagine tossing a Leon Hall-type into that group...

A healthy Vilma is a perfect fit... but we don't need another injury concern. Lets draft a stud.

ironman4579
11-09-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm not as big on Laurinaitis as some are, but IMO he'd be perfect for our defense since he's very good in coverage. Although I actually think if you look at just the numbers, Dan Connor is a guy that could fall because of his(possibly perceived) lack of outstanding athleticism(although I think he will actually have a far better combine than Poz did), who I think could also be a pretty darn good fit as a MLB in our system. He's got 1 INT and 7 BrUps this year, to go along with something like 12 TFL's and 5 sacks, which is honestly more than you can say for Laurinaitis this year.

detroit4life
11-09-2007, 04:29 PM
personally id rather have a veteran be our MLB that a rookie and i think thats the midset of the coaches as well. I think they want that guy to be a leader on the defense and would be more comfortable with a veteran

TacticaLion
11-09-2007, 05:49 PM
personally id rather have a veteran be our MLB that a rookie and i think thats the midset of the coaches as well. I think they want that guy to be a leader on the defense and would be more comfortable with a veteran

Well... if we were to put a young stud on the other side, Lenon is probably "solid enough" to hold down the middle.

Scotty D
11-09-2007, 06:03 PM
I'd love to know who are the top SLB prospects that fit our scheme. Could Buster Davis play SLB?

TacticaLion
11-09-2007, 06:05 PM
I'd love to know who are the top SLB prospects that fit our scheme. Could Buster Davis play SLB?

I was thinking that when we grabbed him. Davis and Lewis should both be looked at to slide into the starting role for next year.

Scotty D
11-09-2007, 06:08 PM
I was thinking that when we grabbed him. Davis and Lewis should both be looked at to slide into the starting role for next year.

If Lewis and Lenon are starting next year I give up.

TacticaLion
11-09-2007, 06:10 PM
If Lewis and Lenon are starting next year I give up.

I'm not so sure.

I think Lewis can be a stud. He's fast, he works hard and makes plays. Lenon is solid... and, next to Sims, they *could* be a solid group.

I like Lewis. I think he needs more chances. I mean, come on... did you SEE that strip he made against Denver?! Made an impact with little playing time... it was impressive.

Scotty D
11-09-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm not so sure.

I think Lewis can be a stud. He's fast, he works hard and makes plays. Lenon is solid... and, next to Sims, they *could* be a solid group.

I like Lewis. I think he needs more chances. I mean, come on... did you SEE that strip he made against Denver?! Made an impact with little playing time... it was impressive.

Yeah they could potentially be ok. Well I just want a defensive playmaker in this draft. SLB,MLB, or CB.

TacticaLion
11-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Yeah they could potentially be ok. Well I just want a defensive playmaker in this draft. SLB,MLB, or CB.

I agree 100%... any position is fine.

P-L
11-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Buster Davis is way too small to play SLB in my opinion. He was a MLB in college and most people thought he was too small to play WLB in the pros. Shawn Crable is probably the top SLB available in the draft, although some 3-4 team will probably snatch him up early. Tavares Gooden would probably be the next best SLB available.

Bootland27
11-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Buster Davis is way too small to play SLB in my opinion. He was a MLB in college and most people thought he was too small to play WLB in the pros. Shawn Crable is probably the top SLB available in the draft, although some 3-4 team will probably snatch him up early. Tavares Gooden would probably be the next best SLB available.

Keith Rivers is easily the best SLB.

TacticaLion
11-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Keith Rivers is easily the best SLB.
Do we look to take a SLB or MLB in next year's draft? Would we rather start Lewis at SLB or Lenon at MLB?

detroit4life
11-11-2007, 10:55 AM
id rather start lewis at slb and get a new MLB

Xiomera
11-11-2007, 11:23 AM
id rather start lewis at slb and get a new MLB

There is obviously a reason that Lewis doesn't start over Boss right now . . . Lewis isn't a capable starter in the eyes of the coaches.

truth393
11-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I don't see Lewis as a starter.That why I see us going with a LB in the 1st round. James Lauranaitis or Dan Connor will be a good fit especially Connor with his ability to play OLB as well.

truth393
12-30-2007, 11:00 PM
where we stand now at pick 15th. I think are top 3 choice in the war room should be sam baker, james laurinistis, and Calais Campbell.