PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland Browns General Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11

JSimmsy21
04-18-2008, 11:16 AM
alright, first of all, I'm back, my internet was off for about a week b/c my AT&T card wasn't working.

secondly, HOLY CRAP, kinda beat this topic up. WHO CARES!!! it was four years ago and a stinking 4th rounder and a safety that was average at best. just so we're clear, crocker wouldn't have settled for a backup role, not at that point in his career. but he's no better or worse that what mike Adams is. we drafted Brodney Pool at the top of the second and he was slated to become the starting FS sooner or later. we already had Sean Jones on the roster who was also drafted at the top of the second. Then Brian Russel broke out so Pool sat another year. and Jones impressed in his first two year's(well year and a half)

not every pick pans out, and sowells could still develop. next topic.

we offered Al Wilson a contract a little higher then veterans minimum. he declined it, waiting to see what other offers he gets, which, currently, are none.

savage has said that with the fourth pick he'll probably go BPA regardless of position. then picks 5-7 will probably be defensive. he did say that they will add another CB whether it be through FA, UDFA, or a draft pick. we scouted CB's Antwaan Molden and Orlando Scandrick.

other positions of priority to the browns are OLB, ILB, TE, possibly OT, and in savage's words "don't rule out a safety, and only if a RB we have rated highly tumbles." he also said that WR is almost off the board, but we did scout Malcom Kelly's second pro day.

lastly, savage said in his PC that he would love to acquire a fifth pick. and also the only trade that might occur would be moving up in the fourth for a player we have rated pretty high thats just kinda "floating there."

*side not* on my forums at the OBR, some guy played golf with J. Ogden. said he's retiring. Ogden also said that JT was the next big time LT in the league, him and jason peters.

Cribbs>Hester
04-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks for ruining my hopes of Jalen Parmele and Pierre Garcon becoming Browns JSimmy21. Just so you know I'm going to hate your from now on and frown on everything you post hahaha.

As long as those two don't become Ratbirds of Squeerlers. I'd have to set some huge on fire if that ever happened.

RoyHall#1
04-18-2008, 03:43 PM
You'll hate him but never frown on anything he posts?

Savage said he'd love to have Garcon... as an UDFA... if he has a good enough workout...

Cribbs>Hester
04-18-2008, 04:09 PM
I refuse to believe Garcon is worth less than a 7th round pick. The guy had one of the best workouts at the combine and has ridiculous hands. He has all the tools to be a successful NFL WR. He's never going to be a #1 or even a dominate #2, but he is going to be a very good role player for some team in the NFL. He doesn't have the same value to the Browns because we already have a very nice group of recievers and guys who have return abilities, but some other team is going to draft Garcon. I refuse to believe a team in need of recievers is going to let him fall to UDFA.

Also Jalen Parmele is one of the most underrated backs in this draft. I don't believe he is anything worth than a draft pick either, but if he falls I hope Cleveland is all over him.

I was typing something else and deleted it to say soemthing different. Obviously I didn't hit the back space enough times, sorry.

RoyHall#1
04-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Garcon was invited to the combine?

Cribbs>Hester
04-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Garcon was invited to the combine?

Well there goes any credibility I thought you had.

RoyHall#1
04-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Well there goes any credibility I thought you had.

There's a lot of players in the combine. Pierre Garcon is not exactly a household name no matter how much you like him... I just didn't think that someone from Mount Union would get an invite.

DawgBone
04-20-2008, 12:45 PM
I played for Heidelberg against Garcon multiple times. If you think he is an NFL player your wrong. hes a track athlete that can catch a ball, not a football player in the NFL. Garcon was bullied at the Div.3 college level by CB's, and eventually was able to run past them. He wont do either at the pro level.

PS - his own teammates werent fans of him. most teams in the conference picked on him and he was known to falter to it late in games. NFL DB's would love to have this guy on the other teams offense I would imagine.

Cribbs>Hester
04-20-2008, 05:34 PM
I played for Heidelberg against Garcon multiple times. If you think he is an NFL player your wrong. hes a track athlete that can catch a ball, not a football player in the NFL. Garcon was bullied at the Div.3 college level by CB's, and eventually was able to run past them. He wont do either at the pro level.

PS - his own teammates werent fans of him. most teams in the conference picked on him and he was known to falter to it late in games. NFL DB's would love to have this guy on the other teams offense I would imagine.

again you have no clue what you are talking about and you are probably lying about even playing college ball. Garcon didn't falter late in games because HE WAS BENCHED FOR THE SECOND HALF JUST LIKE MOST OF THE STARTING LINE UP. They blew teams out so early he wasn't even playing midway through the 3rd in a lot of games. I live 15 minutes from Mount I've watched every home game since I was 7 years old. I guarentee I watch more small school football than this entire board combined and you're full of garbage.

j05son
04-20-2008, 06:56 PM
again you have no clue what you are talking about and you are probably lying about even playing college ball. Garcon didn't falter late in games because HE WAS BENCHED FOR THE SECOND HALF JUST LIKE MOST OF THE STARTING LINE UP. They blew teams out so early he wasn't even playing midway through the 3rd in a lot of games. I live 15 minutes from Mount I've watched every home game since I was 7 years old. I guarentee I watch more small school football than this entire board combined and you're full of garbage.

I live rather close to Mount as well...I'm from the Salem area in Columbiana county.

DawgBone
04-21-2008, 04:16 PM

Im lying about playing Div3 football? Anyone can walk on to Heidelberg and further their career. They dont exactly make cuts bro? There are over 10,000 college football players in america, if I dont agree with you I automatically have no clue?

You thinking that Cribbs > Hester is the one that has no clue. I love the Browns to but I dont say Wimbley > Merriman.

Cribbs>Hester
04-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Hahaha your perception of reality is warped by the patheticness that is Heidelberg. They were so talent depleated of coarse anyone could walk on and play D3 football. In the real world; however, Mount, Whitewater, St. Joes, BW, and even schools like Muskingum and Capital, John Carroll and Wilmington players don't just walk on and make the team. Even at pathetic Heidelberg guys were quitting all the time because they couldn't handle college football. Just become some of those guys who were on the team the last 5 year does not mean they were cut out to play college ball.

Merriman is better than Wimbley
Witten is better than Winslow
Randy Moss is better than Edwards

I can go on down the line all day pal, but the fact still remains that Cribbs is better than Hester, and there is not homerism about it.

kalbears13
04-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Quinn>Manning (But which one(s)?)

j05son
04-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Quinn>Manning (But which one(s)?)

Both?

P.S. I am a Quinn homer. Flame away.

kalbears13
04-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Both?

P.S. I am a Quinn homer. Flame away.

I was going to say Cooper and Archie...

And I always thought Quinn was going to be a great QB ever since his junior year at ND so I have your back.

I know Phil Savage said that Derek Anderson is the quarterback for the Cleveland Browns and that he won't trade him, what do you think are the chances he's telling the truth?

barry
04-22-2008, 06:40 PM
oddly enough, i believe savage now, though a month ago i thought he was laying down a smoke screen for a potential trade if a desired player fell far enough down the 1st round the way quinn did last year.

DA clearly has flaws but might actually correct some of them, like his touch on short & mid-range passes, but he's going to be in the favre mold and lose us some games by throwing picks. but our defense has the potential to be radically improved if the DL does its job and allows the LBs to pursue untouched by OLS. that should be enough to get us into the playoffs.

however, i don't expect DA *and* BQ to be on the roster at the start of the 2009 season.

The Dude Abides
04-22-2008, 07:30 PM
HE WAS BENCHED FOR THE SECOND HALF JUST LIKE MOST OF THE STARTING LINE UP.

As an ONU Polar Bear, I refuse to believe Mt. sits people that early because I've never seen it. Your team, players and especially your coach's collective douchebaggery will not allow you guys to not act like bush league jackoffs.

Cribbs>Hester
04-22-2008, 07:58 PM
As an ONU Polar Bear, I refuse to believe Mt. sits people that early because I've never seen it. Your team, players and especially your coach's collective douchebaggery will not allow you guys to not act like bush league jackoffs.

They don't sit all starters, but some certainly get pulled, and not in all games either. Mount pulled starters early against Averett, Wilmington, Musky, Heidelberg and Marietta. Most of the time if a team stays with in 6 touchdowns Mount Union will leave their starters in, but if it gets past that they start pulling and plaging in new younger players for experience which is one big reason they never fall off from year to year.

DawgBone
04-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Cribbs>Hester knows everything, dont quetion him. PS Cribbs is better than Hester.....wait?

kalbears13
04-23-2008, 08:30 PM
Cribbs>Hester knows everything, dont quetion him. PS Cribbs is better than Hester.....wait?

What was the purpose of this post? It did absolutely nothing. Now you're just trying to start something. If you want to get into a discussion about Cribbs and Hester then act like an adult and be intelligent about it. Don't be a ****.

JSimmsy21
05-03-2008, 06:18 PM
boards been kinda dead. heres some updates.

-Savage signed a 3-year contract extension

-after the first day of tryouts, here are some notes.
-crennel has pointed out that Bell has good movements and gets to the ball quick, but it's what he does with pads on the will matter
-crennel singled out DB's Darnell Terrell and Milvon James as players who got his attention
-Martin Rucker looks good in the routes that weave through the LBers. how good his blocking is wont be told untill the pads are on

keylime_5
05-13-2008, 06:27 PM
I am intrigued to see who ends up as the starting LILB next to Jackson. My money is on Leon Williams but Beau Bell might take it from him later in the year depending on how well he looks out there. All of our top 4 should see the field at ILB during the first half of the year, mostly the top 3 with Bell on special teams mostly and occasionally seeing a series or two at first until they ease him in. Whoever they put out there should be more than decent with Rogers, Williams, and the Smiths up front.

757Dawg
05-14-2008, 12:05 AM
If Bell can learn the system early in the going and manages to see some PT on D, I think it's going to be difficult to take him off the field.

We really don't have an "enforcer" in the middle. D'Qwell and Leon fit into that athletic ILB mold while Andra doesn't appear to be anything close to what he was a couple of years ago. Bell appears to the only inside 'backer capable of delivering that game changing hit. He's a physical defender who definitely will be hard to keep on the sidelines if he catches on quick.

To start the season though, I think it will be similar to last season. Andra will "start" alongside D'Qwell, but Leon will again see most of the PT.

RoyHall#1
06-30-2008, 03:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3465192&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos2

Nice article on Anderson and Quinn. Hope we find the money to get Law.

keylime_5
07-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Strong rumors that Joe Jurevicius is going to retire before the season starts b/c of surgery that didn't go that well. If he does, then we have to sign a guy like Eric Parker or somebody to play #3 WR for us.

RoyHall#1
07-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Damn... good thing we got Stallworth, eh?

j05son
07-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Strong rumors that Joe Jurevicius is going to retire before the season starts b/c of surgery that didn't go that well. If he does, then we have to sign a guy like Eric Parker or somebody to play #3 WR for us.

eh, Joe is one of my favs. I really hope we give him some type of coaching position, he is a class act and a damn good football player. Did all the little things for you.

I heard really good things about Wilson this year, but we won't go after another WR I don't think. They will be the 4th or even 5 option really in our offense.

k2, Edwards, Stallworth, and even Lewis out of the backfield before Wilson or someone else. Baring injury, our receiving corps is just fine. I would love to see Cribbs used more in the offense, like Pitt did with randel el and ward [trick play stance and the fact that we can use to to just stretch the field also].

kalbears13
07-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Maybe Hubbard can step up (earlier than expected) now that there's an open spot on the team.

D-Unit
07-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Heard Melila Purcell on the radio. He sounds pumped up to try to solidify a role with the team this year. He's at 6-5, 295 and says he's ready for war.

Iamcanadian
07-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Joey's injury is quite serious for the Browns. Edwards is going to get a lot of double and triple teaming until somebody steps forward to take Joey's job and proves he can be a very effective 2nd option. Hopefully, we can pick up a veteran receiver when teams make their cuts because right now we seriously lack a true 3rd option.

j05son
07-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Joey's injury is quite serious for the Browns. Edwards is going to get a lot of double and triple teaming until somebody steps forward to take Joey's job and proves he can be a very effective 2nd option. Hopefully, we can pick up a veteran receiver when teams make their cuts because right now we seriously lack a true 3rd option.

I really don't think we have to worry that much.

Edwards as first option, Winslow as second, and Stallworth as third.

Teams are going to have to play a Safety int he box with Lewis and our line.

We should have the same protection - so we should have a good running game and Anderson [ hopefully Quinn [= ] will have time.

I'm a big big fan of Joe, but I don't think it's going to hurt us that much. Maybe near the endzone which is where we utilized him most at.

JSimmsy21
07-13-2008, 08:12 PM
Joe J's injury isnt a big deal until third down. thats where he'll be missed. stallworth probably wont ever see a third down b/c he cant block if its third and short and he's not a dependable catcher. the upside of this situation might be that Rucker gets a chance. he's demonstrated excellent hands and good routes for a rookie thus far in OTA's. other than third down. its not an issue. plus Travis Wilson actually showed up and played at camp so far this year.

keylime_5
07-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Teams won't put a safety in the box this year as long as Stallworth is healthy. We're gonna use him a lot like Philly used him and that will keep the safeties back or else Edwards/Stallworth downfield will be killer. This is why I'm totally gonna draft Jamal Lewis in fantasy football - six and seven man fronts to beat behind an amazing offensive line with a great offensive coordinator on a team that should have some leads to run out the clock.

Having Joe hurt and missing some time will hurt our offense a little, it's always important to have as many good reliable hands receivers on third downs as you can. Edwards and Winslow and Stallworth are our top 3 targets, but it'd be much better to have Jurevicius in there on 3rd downs rather than Heiden or Rucker or WIlson. We still have an exciting offense without him but when he gets back it will be even better, especially at maintaining long drives.

skinzzfan25
07-17-2008, 11:14 PM
http://www.comcast.net/assets/02/02/04/01/05/asset-37172.jpg

LOL Kenny Wright. Sporting the G-Unit overalls I see...

It's okay, here in DC we've gotten a little love from Kenny Wrong as well.

kalbears13
07-19-2008, 09:28 AM
so who is left on NFLDC that's a Browns fan? It seems like we only get a post every once in a while. It would be nice to see who's left.

RoyHall#1
07-19-2008, 10:20 AM
I am here. And my avatar is almost as good as yours.

j05son
07-19-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm here daily.

ps my avy is better than all of yours.

keylime_5
07-19-2008, 05:11 PM
not much to post about in July before camp starts.
i like the avatar roy, like that movie too, but I think that movie's twist is a tad bit overated. I think they said it was voted #1 twist ever on imdb.

kalbears13
07-19-2008, 05:43 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MmK5M4DmPxo

Tim Couch performing...well?

JSimmsy21
07-21-2008, 12:52 PM
i check the site about once or twice a week. there's just nothing to talk about.

keylime_5
07-23-2008, 11:32 AM
All 5 picks signed last night right before camp starts. Will be an interesting battle for the LILB spot between Davis, Williams, and Bell.

Cribbs>Hester
07-28-2008, 10:55 AM
D-Unit. I can't wait to see Melila Purcell. He is one of a hand full of lesser known guys I am going to be watching closely this pre season and hope they can step up to provid us with some added depth or even rotational help.

Cribbs>Hester
07-28-2008, 10:56 AM
11 days until the first pre season game and our first look at the rooks as well as a chance to see who has improved going into year two. Who else is pumped???

kalbears13
07-28-2008, 08:03 PM
11 days until the first pre season game and our first look at the rooks as well as a chance to see who has improved going into year two. Who else is pumped???

I'm stoked but mostly I'm pumped to see Brady Quinn getting some PT and to show how much better he is than DA.

keylime_5
07-28-2008, 11:05 PM
I wanna see what Corey Williams and Shaun Rogers can do, and what they can let D'Qwell and Kamerion do mostly. It should be fun to see Beau Bell on the field for the first time too.

j05son
07-28-2008, 11:18 PM
I'm stoked but mostly I'm pumped to see Brady Quinn getting some PT and to show how much better he is than DA.

well said.

I'll +rep that.

Freddy G
07-30-2008, 11:27 PM
I still lurk occasionally, more or less for updates because I'm to lazy to look myself.

Yeah though, I am hoping for Williams to come out on top.

Cribbs>Hester
07-31-2008, 05:18 PM
Antwan Peek is out the rest of camp, so we are now stuck with Willie McWorthless for awhile. I never wish injury on anyone, but damn it it would be best for the team if that old fart broke a toe or something...

keylime_5
07-31-2008, 07:48 PM
c'mon now, McGinest is a team leader and can stop the run better than the rest of our OLBs. If Peek is out for a while it won't effect McGinest's playing time so much as it will effect Shantee Orr's. Also if Alex Hall can prove to be a steal and rush the passer some (unfair expectations for him) this year then that would be nice.

Iamcanadian
08-01-2008, 06:28 AM
c'mon now, McGinest is a team leader and can stop the run better than the rest of our OLBs. If Peek is out for a while it won't effect McGinest's playing time so much as it will effect Shantee Orr's. Also if Alex Hall can prove to be a steal and rush the passer some (unfair expectations for him) this year then that would be nice.

Glad to see someone has some football intellegence.

Ruken
08-02-2008, 04:39 AM
I cant wait till DA shuts all you BQ homers up.

I pray that rogers stays motivated because if so I think our D will surprise quite a few people

ChezPower4
08-02-2008, 11:58 AM
I cant wait till DA shuts all you BQ homers up.

I pray that rogers stays motivated because if so I think our D will surprise quite a few people

you'd better get used to Quinn because it's only a matter of time before his is the starter. There is no way that he Browns are going to continue to pay both Anderson and Quinn big money. Trade value for Anderson after this year will be high and that would be the best move for the Browns, to trade him. The Chargers went through basically the same thing with Brees and Rivers and they let Brees go and let Rivers take over the team. I see the same thing transpiring in Cleveland.

keylime_5
08-02-2008, 02:29 PM
I think DA will have another good year and we trade Quinn. Quinn is not making a high salary b/c his contract is incentive loaded, and afterall he was only the 22nd overall pick and is making a low salary for a QB. DA has looked good in camp so far and Quinn not so much...and barring injury Quinn won't play this year. I think Brady is odd man out not Derek. DA's game is perfect in our offense.

ChezPower4
08-02-2008, 03:28 PM
I think DA will have another good year and we trade Quinn. Quinn is not making a high salary b/c his contract is incentive loaded, and afterall he was only the 22nd overall pick and is making a low salary for a QB. DA has looked good in camp so far and Quinn not so much...and barring injury Quinn won't play this year. I think Brady is odd man out not Derek. DA's game is perfect in our offense.

Then trading those picks for Quinn was an utter waste. No team is going to give you even a first rounder for Quinn nor anything close to what Savage gave up to get him. No teams in the NFL are in dire need to trade draft picks for young unproven QBs.

keylime_5
08-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Considering how terrible the QB class is for the 2009 draft added with the fact that franchise QBs almost never hit the free agent market, I don't think that Savage's asking price of a first round pick would be out of the question for a team like Minnesota or Chicago as long as they don't pick in the top 10. Quinn is a fine prospect and lots of people think he can definitely be a franchise QB.

Lots of teams might want a QB next offseason like Chicago, Minnesota, Detroit, Carolina, Tampa Bay, the Jets, Chiefs, 49ers, and other wildcards like the Cardinals, Seahawks, Rams, Bills, and the like could join that group depending on this season. As long as we get something in the ballpark of the 22nd pick overall in value for one of our two young high profile QBs it won't be an utter waste, and I seriously doubt we trade one for anything less. Just keep both until we get a deal for them we like. You need two good QBs nowadays.

kalbears13
08-02-2008, 07:42 PM
I feel like even if Savage sees that Quinn is worse than Anderson, he'll trade Anderson because he would be worth wayyy more. (As long as the worseness isn't that much.)

Freddy G
08-03-2008, 06:12 AM
Even though Quinn is unproven, he is still by far a better prospect than any of the guys available in the next draft...so it wouldn't surprise if he did fetch a first rounder.

However, i am not sure it really matters cuz in the end Quinn will most likely be our QB unless Anderson really cements himself as our legit QB (ie: superbowl birth).

keylime_5
08-03-2008, 06:00 PM
DA was in his first year as a fulltime starter last year and in that system, so I think he should get better this year, otherwise he might be moved next offseason. If we have another year from him in the vicinity of 4000 yds. and 30 TDs then I think he becomes the clearcut franchise QB and Quinn will be moved.

I'm not that concerned with trade value considering lots of teams will need QBs next year and the market will be really crappy. Teams like Chicago or Minnesota could draft a rookie with the deck stacked against him in terms of being a good player, or they could have Grossman, Tarvaris Jackson, or JD Booty or the like instead of trading a first rounder for a high potential guy like Quinn or DA.

Iamcanadian
08-03-2008, 11:29 PM
you'd better get used to Quinn because it's only a matter of time before his is the starter. There is no way that he Browns are going to continue to pay both Anderson and Quinn big money. Trade value for Anderson after this year will be high and that would be the best move for the Browns, to trade him. The Chargers went through basically the same thing with Brees and Rivers and they let Brees go and let Rivers take over the team. I see the same thing transpiring in Cleveland.

If Anderson has another big year, Quinn will definitely be gone. In case you have forgotten Schaub fetched a high price based on potential. The San Diego example is a poor one to use. Brees was coming off a serve injury which made the choice of Rivers a lot easier.

Iamcanadian
08-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Then trading those picks for Quinn was an utter waste. No team is going to give you even a first rounder for Quinn nor anything close to what Savage gave up to get him. No teams in the NFL are in dire need to trade draft picks for young unproven QBs.

See Houston and they improved dramatically. QB's with potential are always in demand. If Quinn can get into a game either because of an injury to Anderson or late in a game and can show potential, he may well fetch more than Savage paid for him. Quinn will have 2 years of pro learning under his belt and that often impresses GM's a lot more than an unproven rookie.

Iamcanadian
08-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Considering how terrible the QB class is for the 2009 draft added with the fact that franchise QBs almost never hit the free agent market, I don't think that Savage's asking price of a first round pick would be out of the question for a team like Minnesota or Chicago as long as they don't pick in the top 10. Quinn is a fine prospect and lots of people think he can definitely be a franchise QB.

Lots of teams might want a QB next offseason like Chicago, Minnesota, Detroit, Carolina, Tampa Bay, the Jets, Chiefs, 49ers, and other wildcards like the Cardinals, Seahawks, Rams, Bills, and the like could join that group depending on this season. As long as we get something in the ballpark of the 22nd pick overall in value for one of our two young high profile QBs it won't be an utter waste, and I seriously doubt we trade one for anything less. Just keep both until we get a deal for them we like. You need two good QBs nowadays.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but I have to take exception to the idea that we can keep both. For sure one of the 2 will be traded by the next draft. The one who loses out will not be a happy camper.

ChezPower4
08-04-2008, 09:54 AM
See Houston and they improved dramatically. QB's with potential are always in demand. If Quinn can get into a game either because of an injury to Anderson or late in a game and can show potential, he may well fetch more than Savage paid for him. Quinn will have 2 years of pro learning under his belt and that often impresses GM's a lot more than an unproven rookie.

San Diego did know how good Brees was though. Even though the whole thing worked out for them ok because Rivers is a good QB. What I'm really getting at is that Savage is not going to get back what he gave up to get him in 2007. If your so so sure that the Browns are going to keep Anderson why didn't they give him a better deal to lock him up longer? If he's a franchise QB then Savage should have at least offered him a lucrative long term deal.

keylime_5
08-04-2008, 10:09 AM
I agree with a lot of what you are saying but I have to take exception to the idea that we can keep both. For sure one of the 2 will be traded by the next draft. The one who loses out will not be a happy camper.

I mean for one more year if we don't get good offers. I don't think us not getting good offers for either Quinn or DA is that likely of a scenario anyways, but if it does happen I think Savage would hold onto them both for the 2009 season too at least - unless Quinn really throws a bitchy fit.

Mr. Stiller
08-04-2008, 10:12 AM
I mean for one more year if we don't get good offers. I don't think us not getting good offers for either Quinn or DA is that likely of a scenario anyways, but if it does happen I think Savage would hold onto them both for the 2009 season too at least - unless Quinn really throws a bitchy fit.

why get rid of one?

With Quinn not playing he can't meet his escalators and DA isn't exactly expensive as far as QB's go.

Now if Quinn outplays and gets the starting spot, then I can see DA not being worth the $$$ to be on the bench.. but outside of that Quinns contract is probably around the same as a very good backup QB.

Mr. Stiller
08-04-2008, 10:13 AM

Schaub had also been battletested. Quinn has yet to make it into a meaningful game.

Crennel calling him "Erratic" isn't going to help either.

keylime_5
08-04-2008, 12:46 PM
keep in mind Quinn is playing with WRs and OLinemen who aren't gonna make the team for the most part, and has been playing mostly against the first team defense. That mixture makes any QB look not as good as he is, plus Quinn has never been a "practice" QB really. Quinn was a first round pick even if he isn't experienced, Schaub was a 3rd rounder and was in the league for like 3 years when he got traded.

Cribbs>Hester
08-04-2008, 01:49 PM
This arguement is so lame, old and annoying. Who cares people? Both sides are wrong. Brady Quinn supporters are wrong and Derek Anderson supporters are wrong. Why? Because as Cleveland Browns fans we(and I don't) give a crap who are starting QB is as long as he wins games for us. Why should it matter who was drafted where, who is making the most money, who is the fan favorite or who is the best looking??? I really don't care if we wasted 40 first round picks on Brady Quinn and he sits behind Derek Anderson as long as Anderson can win us 11 games a year and run us deep into the post season year in and year out with a chance at a Championship every post season. That my friends is the real correct answer in regards to who should be are quarterback.

ChezPower4
08-04-2008, 04:49 PM
This arguement is so lame, old and annoying. Who cares people? Both sides are wrong. Brady Quinn supporters are wrong and Derek Anderson supporters are wrong. Why? Because as Cleveland Browns fans we(and I don't) give a crap who are starting QB is as long as he wins games for us. Why should it matter who was drafted where, who is making the most money, who is the fan favorite or who is the best looking??? I really don't care if we wasted 40 first round picks on Brady Quinn and he sits behind Derek Anderson as long as Anderson can win us 11 games a year and run us deep into the post season year in and year out with a chance at a Championship every post season. That my friends is the real correct answer in regards to who should be are quarterback.

You should care about what you gave up to get him. Those picks could have been spent on other players that could be on the field improving your team.

Cribbs>Hester
08-04-2008, 11:25 PM
You should care about what you gave up to get him. Those picks could have been spent on other players that could be on the field improving your team.

No I don't. What if we didn't and Anderson still sucked? Maybe giving up those picks to get Brady motivated Anderson in a way that made him better? You all look at everything as if there has to be a negative no matter what. The only way you should look at it is the best player plays regardless of picks, status or money and that player will give this team the best chance to win regarless of any of those circumstances as well.

keylime_5
08-05-2008, 01:11 PM
We basically gave up a 3rd from 2007 and a 1st from 2008 to get Quinn (b/c we took Wright in round 2 last year and would've taken him in early round 2 just the same). Backup QBs are very important in this day an age of the NFL, and chances are we're gonna get at least most of the value back for him. Having a very good backup QB at the very least and then probably getting a first or a second and third for him is not a waste. It would have sucked if we gave up a top 10 pick in the past draft, but thankfully it only turned out to be a 22nd overall pick (and he was the 22nd overall pick last year).

barry
08-05-2008, 07:34 PM
We basically gave up a 3rd from 2007 and a 1st from 2008 to get Quinn (b/c we took Wright in round 2 last year and would've taken him in early round 2 just the same). Backup QBs are very important in this day an age of the NFL, and chances are we're gonna get at least most of the value back for him. Having a very good backup QB at the very least and then probably getting a first or a second and third for him is not a waste. It would have sucked if we gave up a top 10 pick in the past draft, but thankfully it only turned out to be a 22nd overall pick (and he was the 22nd overall pick last year).

to get quinn we gave up our 2nd round pick (at 36) in 2007 plus our 2008 1st round pick.

this year's pick could have been:

22 Dallas Jones, Felix RB
23 Pittsburgh Mendenhall, Rashard RB
24 Tennessee Johnson, Chris RB
25 Dallas Jenkins, Mike CB
26 Houston Brown, Duane OT
27 San Diego Cason, Antoine CB
28 Seattle Jackson, Lawrence DE
29 San Francisco Balmer, Kentwan DE
30 NY Jets Keller, Dustin TE
31 NY Giants Phillips, Kenny FS

at 36, you generally have the chance to snag a guy that slipped but was still a legit 1st round pick. for our needs, last year's 2nd round pick could have been a lamarr woodley or david harris either who'd look pretty good in place of peek or davis. would we have taken wright instead of either of those two LBs? maybe, but we still could have still gotten wright by giving up our 3rd, 4th & swapped 6th round picks.

plus with savage's acumen in drafting for value, those two picks could be two pro bowl players we won't have.

the bottom line is that it was a high price to pay, but no one could have foreseen DA's level of success.

Scotty D
08-05-2008, 07:37 PM
to get quinn we gave up our 2nd round pick (at 36) in 2007 plus our 2008 1st round pick.

at 36, you generally have the chance to snag a guy that slipped but was still a legit 1st round pick. for our needs, last year's 2nd round pick could have been a lamarr woodley or david harris either who'd look pretty good in place of peek or davis. would we have taken wright instead of either of those two LBs? maybe, but we still could have still gotten wright by giving up our 3rd, 4th & swapped 6th round picks.

plus with savage's acumen in drafting for value, those two picks could be two pro bowl players we won't have.

the bottom line is that it was a high price to pay, but no one could have foreseen DA's level of success.

Mike Jenkins, Cason, or Chris Johnson would have been very nice picks for the Browns.

keylime_5
08-05-2008, 07:40 PM
We would've taken Wright at 36 just the same. We wanted a CB and he was clearly higher on our board than any other CB left in round 2. We traded our 3rd to get back into the second to get him which was a good situation. Look at it this way: if Quinn turns out to be a good QB for us then it was worth the pick. If we get the value of that late first rounder back for Quinn it evens out. DA cost us no picks to acquire and we'll have him being a very good starting QB for us or him going elsewhere for picks. The fact that either DA or Quinn is gonna be good makes is a win/win situation. The only way it won't be is if we let Quinn's contract run out, trade him for nothing good, or if DA and Quinn both bomb.

It would have been nice to draft Mendenhall, Jenkins or whoever this year at 22, but if we can get a first in the future or something close to that (like what ATL got for Schaub let's say) then it won't matter that we didn't have a pick this year. It's not like we're not using Quinn at all anyways, you need a good backup and without him we'd have Frye is DA went down :(.

j05son
08-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Mike Jenkins, Cason, or Chris Johnson would have been very nice picks for the Browns.

Definitely would have been.

Still, it was the right decision to take Quinn and for whoever can't see that shouldn't voice their opinion. Quinn fell a lot and was arguably better than the QB the following year [Brian Brohm, Matt Ryan, Colt Brennon]. Anderson couldn't win the job in training camp and didn't show a glimpse of hope until Cincinnati game.

Anderson was a surprise, Quinn was the fall back option that at the time we so desperately needed. Quinn was a great choice and for us to grab him and Thomas was a great draft. We definitely can still use him for later draft picks or for the QB of the future.

Hindsight is 20/20 but even if we lose out on Quinn being drafted, it was still totally worth it as we have no idea that Anderson would emerge with that type of season and there are still questions if he can follow it up.

Savage definitely had the correct call.

Iamcanadian
08-06-2008, 01:05 AM

I agree, I don't care who ends up as our starter as long as he can produce victories and I have a lot of confidence in Savage and Crennel to make the right decisions.

Iamcanadian
08-06-2008, 01:14 AM

I agree, if we had given up a top 10 pick then you could possibly question the trade although DA was hardly a cinch at the time to even be our starting QB.
When we made the trade, we were desperate and now that DA has developed, we are in an excellent position to possibly get a top 10 pick in return for either DA or Quinn. DA could go down for a couple of games and if Quinn shows real potential we will be in a rather solid position to get real value for either one, quite possibly IMO, more than we paid to get Quinn in the 1st place.
I love what Savage did when he secured Quinn. He's looking more and more like a top 5 GM in this league and I don't for a moment question the soundness of the trade.

ChezPower4
08-06-2008, 03:52 PM

Mike Jenkins would've been a nice pick, since you guys traded Lee.

kalbears13
08-06-2008, 09:47 PM
We had to get Brady Quinn at 22. Our QB situation was horrible. It doesn't really matter who we could have gotten this year. Obviously there's going to be talent that has dropped a little in the first round. Trading Brady Quinn was a smart move and although it would have been nice to have had a first rounder, we now have a luxury at QB.

JSimmsy21
08-06-2008, 10:03 PM
neither QB is going anywhere until the browns have to make a decision. DA is the starter. Quinn will get time if DA gets hurt, if we're up by 27 in the 4th, or Da bombs. by the way, in TC so far, DA has been much better at his short passing game and has consistently put a tight spiral on the ball. something Quinn has been unable to do.

-Travis Wilson is doing sweet in camp. but is a ways away from solidifying himself as the #3 receiver.

-syndic steptoe and steve sanders have also improved vastly since last season.

-the CB and WR positions aren't that great of a concern. the only real concern with the positions if having veteran depth. there's plenty of talent. Damon Jenkins, Mil'von James, and A.J. Davis have all proved to be talented players. even Jereme Perry is playing well, as he is the leader in the pack for the #4/5 CB spot.

-depth along the DL is the biggest concern. all the young players have failed to step up so far. Atyba Rubin is being thrown off the line. Purcell and Pittman have problems getting off blocks. As does brian Shaffering. Leonard is inconsistent.

-Edwards is TEARING TC up.

-Alex Hall has shown considerable more progress than expected. may actually make the final roster.

-Hubbard has sucked so far.

-Bell doesn't know what he's doing yet.

-Rucker catches everything.

-IF ryan tucker makes it back for some preseason, he'll be the starter at RG.

-James Lee has been the only one to show the athleticism to be a LT. he may actually make the final roster as well.

kalbears13
08-06-2008, 10:12 PM
neither QB is going anywhere until the browns have to make a decision. DA is the starter. Quinn will get time if DA gets hurt, if we're up by 27 in the 4th, or Da bombs. by the way, in TC so far, DA has been much better at his short passing game and has consistently put a tight spiral on the ball. something Quinn has been unable to do.

-Travis Wilson is doing sweet in camp. but is a ways away from solidifying himself as the #3 receiver.

-syndic steptoe and steve sanders have also improved vastly since last season.

-the CB and WR positions aren't that great of a concern. the only real concern with the positions if having veteran depth. there's plenty of talent. Damon Jenkins, Mil'von James, and A.J. Davis have all proved to be talented players. even Jereme Perry is playing well, as he is the leader in the pack for the #4/5 CB spot.

-depth along the DL is the biggest concern. all the young players have failed to step up so far. Atyba Rubin is being thrown off the line. Purcell and Pittman have problems getting off blocks. As does brian Shaffering. Leonard is inconsistent.

-Edwards is TEARING TC up.

-Alex Hall has shown considerable more progress than expected. may actually make the final roster.

-Hubbard has sucked so far.

-Bell doesn't know what he's doing yet.

-Rucker catches everything.

-IF ryan tucker makes it back for some preseason, he'll be the starter at RG.

-James Lee has been the only one to show the athleticism to be a LT. he may actually make the final roster as well.

I like hearing good things about Hall and Rucker. It's nice knowing that late round draft picks are doing well (but I guess all our draft picks were late). I'm curious where you get this information from.

Iamcanadian
08-08-2008, 06:35 AM
Wake me up when we get to the 4th exhibition game. That's about when we will get a real idea of what we have. The 1st 3 exhibition games are no more than an extention of training camp. The 4th exhibition game begins the period where the starters actually play quite a bit after getting the rust out of their system and we begin to see how the starting lineup will unfold. Teams just pray they get out of the pre season without significant injuries.

RoyHall#1
08-08-2008, 09:55 AM
The 4th exhibition game we hardly play the starters at all I thought? Isn't is the third where they get a lot of time?

Cribbs>Hester
08-08-2008, 03:05 PM
The 4th exhibition game we hardly play the starters at all I thought? Isn't is the third where they get a lot of time?

You are correct. The 4th game is always the "throw away game" if you will. It is usually the game where all the scrubs get their final shot to show the coaches something so they might have a chance to make the final cut.

On a different note who were your Top performing young guns from week 1?

1. Travis Wilson - finally playing like a 3rd rounder should.
2. Martin Rucker - Impressive, but I'd like to see him in with the 2nd team at least. WTF is Romeo thinking yet again? I saw undrafted punks in before most of our draft picks
3. Louis Leonard - Had a heck of a game controlling the line of scrimmage and chasing down plays. He played mostly end if I'm not mistaking(anyone want to confirm that for me?) Certainly an upgrade from Simon Fraser and he continues to keep in shape and improve like he has he just may have a future with us.
4. Jerome Harrison - He completely destroyed anything Jason Wright did out there. It is still a joke how Romeo favors that scrub over Harrison each and every week.
5. Alex Hall - Again our defensive calls are seriously horrible. Our linebackers never got to blitz and when they did it was a 1 man blitz. Hall did fairly well giving his lack of oppurtunities.

Damon Jenkins - Horrible
A.J. Davis - Horrible
Milvon James - Horrible
Isaac Sowells - Bad
Melila Purcell - Regressed
James Lee - I saw a lot of guys come untouched from his side of the field and him just standing there. I thought he's been impressive???

kalbears13
08-08-2008, 06:29 PM
You are correct. The 4th game is always the "throw away game" if you will. It is usually the game where all the scrubs get their final shot to show the coaches something so they might have a chance to make the final cut.

2. Martin Rucker - Impressive, but I'd like to see him in with the 2nd team at least. WTF is Romeo thinking yet again? I saw undrafted punks in before most of our draft picks
3. Louis Leonard - Had a heck of a game controlling the line of scrimmage and chasing down plays. He played mostly end if I'm not mistaking(anyone want to confirm that for me?) Certainly an upgrade from Simon Fraser and he continues to keep in shape and improve like he has he just may have a future with us.
4. Jerome Harrison - He completely destroyed anything Jason Wright did out there. It is still a joke how Romeo favors that scrub over Harrison each and every week.
5. Alex Hall - Again our defensive calls are seriously horrible. Our linebackers never got to blitz and when they did it was a 1 man blitz. Hall did fairly well giving his lack of oppurtunities.

Damon Jenkins - Horrible
A.J. Davis - Horrible
Milvon James - Horrible
Isaac Sowells - Bad
James Lee - I saw a lot of guys come untouched from his side of the field and him just standing there. I thought he's been impressive???

Hubbard had that nice catch but that was about it for him.

JSimmsy21
08-09-2008, 01:31 PM

Damon Jenkins - Horrible
A.J. Davis - Horrible
Milvon James - Horrible
Isaac Sowells - Bad

totally agree.

Leonard played alot of DE for us. he did do pretty good seeing where the play was going. but that was against the jets scrubs. I'm sure this is b/c the rest of our DE's suck

our whole 3rd team secondary needs cut if they played like that again. sorenesen and cargile must not know what cover 2 means. seriously, they let both of those 70 yarders happen. yea davis and james lost their position, but cargile and sorensen are suposed to provide over the top help.

james lee will be a nice surprise for this team. i think i mentioned this a few days before the game.

dont pinpoint the defensive calls against Tucker. most D coordinators dont use their blitz packages in preseason. they only use the basics so that way it cant be veiwed on tape before week one.

btw, kalbears, i'm a member of the OBR. i believe keylime is as well. its a great site if you pay the money. www.browns.scout.com

Splat
08-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Browns terminate contract of S Baxter (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=txbrownsbaxter&prov=st&type=lgns)

Iamcanadian
08-09-2008, 09:38 PM

Your right, I should have said wake me up after the 1st 2 games. The 3rd game is the big one for the starters.

keylime_5
08-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Wright isn't a scrub, he's played very well in the regular season when called on. Last year especially, he made a few big plays for us as a situational back. Harrison is a bit quicker and I think as a runner he can get more yards than Wright even, but his pass blocking and between the tackles ability not being what Wright's is has kept him from being used as much as he should.

I love what I've seen of Rucker, we can have 2 great pass catchers at tight end to create mismatches and stretch the middle of the field to go with our perimeter threats in Edwards and Stallworth. Very dynamic potential on offense, we have very few deficiences on that side of the ball.

Cribbs>Hester
08-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Wright isn't a scrub, he's played very well in the regular season when called on. Last year especially, he made a few big plays for us as a situational back. Harrison is a bit quicker and I think as a runner he can get more yards than Wright even, but his pass blocking and between the tackles ability not being what Wright's is has kept him from being used as much as he should.

I love what I've seen of Rucker, we can have 2 great pass catchers at tight end to create mismatches and stretch the middle of the field to go with our perimeter threats in Edwards and Stallworth. Very dynamic potential on offense, we have very few deficiences on that side of the ball.

You're right about Wright being a better pass blocker, but you're dead wrong about him being better between the tackles. Also we have guys like Vickers, Ali, and Heiden for pass blocking extras. Jerome Harrison needs to get more running and pass catching chances this year and Jason Wright needs to loose those reps, not Jamal Lewis end of story.

1. Lewis
2. Harrison
3. Wright

this is what the depth chart should look like and if you disagree you're plain crazy.

barry
08-11-2008, 03:29 PM

wright's intangibles are part of makes him attractive to the browns' brain trust; he was pre-med at NU and allegedly quite intelligent. he's originally from the LA area where i live and he's a high character guy - the kind of guy you'd want for a neighbor or dating your sister or daughter which also lends itself to being a great influence in the clubhouse. but he and harrison have only about 4.8 40 speed so you shouldn't expect either to break off long runs when you've got some *linebackers*, much less DBs, capable of running them down from behind.

harrison is kinda like mike hart in terms of his college success being as much a result of the system he played in as physical talent. but since this year's offense is supposed to include some zone blocking on the part of the offensive line, this might give harrison more of a chance to be successful should he be able to get playing time - but yeah, he's got to show he can block/pick up the blitz.
-----
and to address someone who purposely seems to miss my point - a lot:

getting quiinn cost us more than this year's 1st round pick - both that 36th pick last year as well as this year's 1st round pick could have translated into picks that could start for us this season has we drafted a woodley or harris or possibly jenkins this year - two possible eventual PRO BOWL level players, given savage's ability to draft for value with his 1st day picks. *that's* the real value we gave up - not the arbitrary ~1300 draft pick value - there were valuable players available that also matched our needs.

but i don't fault savage for making the move - there was no way we could foresee DA's success.

overall, i'm extremely supportive of what savage has accomplished. savage obviously deserves credit for snatching DA off waivers - savage can add two more pro bowl players to his acquisition list that didn't cost the browns any draft picks at all in DA & cribbs. anyone who dings savage for his 2005 draft should note that 2005 was a weak year - there aren't too many 2005 2nd day picks in the league on *any* team.

RoyHall#1
08-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Woah... Harrison only has 4.8 speed? I thought he was really fast coming out of college?

kalbears13
08-11-2008, 11:57 PM
You're right about Wright being a better pass blocker, but you're dead wrong about him being better between the tackles. Also we have guys like Vickers, Ali, and Heiden for pass blocking extras. Jerome Harrison needs to get more running and pass catching chances this year and Jason Wright needs to loose those reps, not Jamal Lewis end of story.

1. Lewis
2. Harrison
3. Wright

this is what the depth chart should look like and if you disagree you're plain crazy.

So Romeo is crazy? That sorta makes sense.

j05son
08-12-2008, 01:16 AM
and to address someone who purposely seems to miss my point - a lot:

getting quiinn cost us more than this year's 1st round pick - both that 36th pick last year as well as this year's 1st round pick could have translated into picks that could start for us this season has we drafted a woodley or harris or possibly jenkins this year - two possible eventual PRO BOWL level players, given savage's ability to draft for value with his 1st day picks. *that's* the real value we gave up - not the arbitrary ~1300 draft pick value - there were valuable players available that also matched our needs.

but i don't fault savage for making the move - there was no way we could foresee DA's success.

overall, i'm extremely supportive of what savage has accomplished. savage obviously deserves credit for snatching DA off waivers - savage can add two more pro bowl players to his acquisition list that didn't cost the browns any draft picks at all in DA & cribbs. anyone who dings savage for his 2005 draft should note that 2005 was a weak year - there aren't too many 2005 2nd day picks in the league on *any* team.

Who exactly is this directed to?

I'm trying to figure out in this mess if your contradicting yourself or pointing out the obvious? I've gotten it down to two things; either

A) You feel we shouldn't have drafted Quinn and went for someone with the monetary 1300 pick value with Savage's ability would have been a potential Pro-Bowler or even HoFer by keeping the pick and then taking best player available in the draft. Except if this is the thought process, you totally contradict yourself with the "who knew DA was so good."

-or-

B) You feel that we should have drafted Quinn as our current starting QB was set to be Charlie Frye who beat Derek Anderson out in training camp for the starting job and we needed that guy that can be the new franchise QB for years to come but foresaw that we were going to need another position more in need than QB?

It's like reading; We could have passed on Quinn and gotten someone else but at the time it was the right thing as we had no QB and by week 1, both QB's looked like garbage - but I don't fault Savage's decision.

I'm sure every poster here realizes we could have gotten another player if we didn't trade for Quinn, but I'm also sure every poster here recognizes that our team was so broken during that draft, we need more pieces than there were puzzles.

Obviously we could have gotten someone else, but we didn't have a quarterback at the time worth a damn and we had the opportunity to draft a guy that was slated to go to us pick 3 anyways, and fall no later than round 9 fall to pick 22 due to only supply and demand which equals one of the best draft day opportunities yet [especially since we beat out division rival and ex Browns team - Baltimore Ravens - from almost nabbing him]. We got Quinn at the best possible Value which was one of the biggest and best moves on that day. This isn't Ms. Cleo **** saying it was a mistake years later after Anderson came out of nowhere during Cincinnati in week 2.

Lastly, Quinn may not be a bust or a player that gets later traded at all. Theres 16 games and Frye won the starter job last year and was traded before the next week. Anderson really slowed down at the end of the year against the quote "soft teams." Was it that game tape caught up to him, weather, etc. There's still many question marks that having both QB's right now is probably the best option we have [even though I would have loved and admitted of trading one for additional help elsewhere]..

Also, some writer who's name escapes me who predicted Giants - Pats Super Bowl in preseason last year stated Giants - Browns Super Bowl this year.

Woah... Harrison only has 4.8 speed? I thought he was really fast coming out of college?

It's because he was.

NFL Combine Stats: 40-yard dash - 4.47, 225 bench press - 19 reps, vertical jump - 34.5"

I'm pretty sure Berry was estimating or throwing numbers out with a decrease in performance over x amount of years or trying to time him with a stop watch on tv?

I've found multiple sites that list his 40 time [college leading up to combine] at 4.47 with the slowest being 4.59 with multiple sites stating 4.47 as his official time at the combine.

j05son
08-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Rucker suffered a torn meniscus in practice on Tuesday and will be out about six weeks after undergoing surgery, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

keylime_5
08-13-2008, 03:14 PM

1. Lewis
2. Harrison
3. Wright

Wright is great in pass pro and a great special teams player. He had a good year last year and is good at catching screens and wheel routes for big gains. Wright certainly deserves the #2 spot on the depth chart that he has locked up. Harrison has never come along as a pass protector which is why there were a lot of games last year and the year before in which Harrison did not even suit up. He's fast and quick with a lot of burst, but unless he's just a runner he doesn't have much purpose in the offense b/c he can't block.

Jerome's 40 time is somewhere around 4.5, but his straight line speed is not what he's about. He has tremendous burst and is very quick in space. He can move and make people miss.

Cribbs>Hester
08-18-2008, 04:23 AM
Do you think we are more likely to carry 10 linebackers and 5 corners or 9 linebackers and 6 corners this season?

I've fairly confident in the amount of players we'll carry at the other positions, but I can't decide if that final roster spot will go to a linebacker or a corner. Personally I'd rather keep the most talented linebackers, but how bad our corners 3-6 suck we may need to keep more around and rotate them to keep fresh or until one starts playing well enough.

keylime_5
08-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Without a doubt 5 corners. That's all we've ever carried for as long as I remember, and it's not like we have more than 3 guys who don't deserve to be cut. Wright, McDonald, and Cousin will make it, beyond them we have not one guy who would make the team if we had any kind of decent depth, which is why free safety Mike Adams will play a lot of nickel this year. At linebacker Peek and Beau Bell are recovering from leg injuries, I expect we keep ten for that reason.

My guess: LB-Wimbley, McGinest, Peek, Jackson, Davis, Williams, Griffin, Bell, Orr, Hall. CB-Wright, McDonald, Cousin, Perry, Davis. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a guy like Gerard Lawson beat out Perry or Davis at CB.

Cribbs>Hester
08-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Without a doubt 5 corners. That's all we've ever carried for as long as I remember, and it's not like we have more than 3 guys who don't deserve to be cut. Wright, McDonald, and Cousin will make it, beyond them we have not one guy who would make the team if we had any kind of decent depth, which is why free safety Mike Adams will play a lot of nickel this year. At linebacker Peek and Beau Bell are recovering from leg injuries, I expect we keep ten for that reason.

My guess: LB-Wimbley, McGinest, Peek, Jackson, Davis, Williams, Griffin, Bell, Orr, Hall. CB-Wright, McDonald, Cousin, Perry, Davis. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a guy like Gerard Lawson beat out Perry or Davis at CB.

Obviously you don't remember last year when we our opening day roster included 6 CB inwhich one couldn't even play the entire season and is now cut.

1. Leigh Bodden
2. Eric Wright
3. Daven Holly
4. Kenny Wright
5. Gary Baxter
6. Jeremy Perry

I actually could of sworn we had someone else too. I thought I remember being ticked we had 7 corners to start the season.

BRAVEHEART
08-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Brown pants today. How do you guys feel about it?

Cribbs>Hester
08-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Brown pants today. How do you guys feel about it?

They seem to be bad luck.

Hank Fraley is still far and away our worst offensive lineman.

Eric Wright better learn quick because he's been sucking for 2 pre seasons and a whole season now. Brandon McDonald is far superior.

Derek Anderson can't make a pass under 15 yards to save his life.

Jamal Lewis's fumble was just a preseason incident. He'll be fine

Sean Jones got his feet tangled on that TD he needs to get better too.

Minus Fraley, Wright and Anderson I think the team is still fine.

keylime_5
08-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Wright did have about 2 crappy plays there, hopefully he plays more like he did in the last 8 games of 2007 instead of tonight when we have live bullets. Just a totally ****** game all around though in the first 20 minutes or so. If we show like that in the real games it's gonna hurt us. Lots of good plays though, I like what I saw out of McDonald, Mike Adams, Steptoe, Quinn, Joe Thomas, Kellen, etc. Defense only really had that one bad play in the redzone, most of it was offensive and special teams mistakes and penalties. Not a big deal, only a preseason practice game.

keylime_5
08-18-2008, 10:02 PM
...In fact, the game didn't really bother me nearly as much as the announcers. Kornheiser and co. jumping to conclusions like we're not that good or we're pretenders b/c we had one bad quarter in a preseason game of all things. It's not like we had Edwards or Rogers or a gameplan or intricate blitz packages drawn up or anything either.

kalbears13
08-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Obviously you don't remember last year when we our opening day roster included 6 CB inwhich one couldn't even play the entire season and is now cut.

1. Leigh Bodden
2. Eric Wright
3. Daven Holly
4. Kenny Wright
5. Gary Baxter
6. Jeremy Perry

I actually could of sworn we had someone else too. I thought I remember being ticked we had 7 corners to start the season.

Brandon McDonald

I'm not a big fan of the Brown Pants with Brown Socks. Maybe the Brown Pants with white socks. I want them to bring back the Alternate Orange Jerseys.

One thing about the 3-4 is that you don't know where that extra rusher(s) is coming from and it's trickery. Also our offense seems to have a lot of plays in store for the regular season. I feel like the coaches are holding a lot back. It's not that part that bothers me it's the stupid things like getting beat deep because you think you have over the top help or a safety getting beat deep or not hitting the short pass or not being able to take a hand off or missed tackling. It doesn't matter what play is called, if you can't do these things you can't win.

I am also excited about our return game/Phil Dawson. On the other side though our kick coverage team looks horrible.

keylime_5
08-18-2008, 10:55 PM

1. Leigh Bodden
2. Eric Wright
3. Daven Holly
4. Kenny Wright
5. Gary Baxter
6. Jeremy Perry

I think Baxter was PUP. Plus we had injuries. If we have someone hurt this year we could be looking at 6 CBs on the roster in week one. But considering we have now 3 hurt LBs (Leon hurt his neck tonight), I don't see how we keep a scrub CB over a LB who has much much more upside.

Smooth Criminal
08-18-2008, 11:50 PM
Browns looked absolutley awful on most fronts but it is the preseason so not to much to worry about. Biggest issues are probably the injuries to Anderson, Poole, and Cribbs. All important parts to this team.

Cribbs>Hester
08-19-2008, 02:16 AM
I think Baxter was PUP. Plus we had injuries. If we have someone hurt this year we could be looking at 6 CBs on the roster in week one. But considering we have now 3 hurt LBs (Leon hurt his neck tonight), I don't see how we keep a scrub CB over a LB who has much much more upside.

Baxter made the opening day roster. He was ineligible for the PUP because he attempted to practice during training camps. We had 7 corners and only 3 safteys to open the sesaon last season.

I hope to God we carry 10 linebackers and 5 corners because those corners looked awful outside of A.J. Davis who may have a future as a dime or even nickel guy in this league. Meanwhile, the 8th, 9th and 10th linebackers would be Shantee Orr who is a much better inside blitzer than anyone on the team, Kris Griffin who is not much defensively but is a great special teamer, and finally Alex Hall who looks to have tremendous upside. Through one training camp and 2 pre season games he has shown more development than David McMillan has in 3 years.

The two who get cut: David McMillan and Chase Ortiz

1. Eric Wright
2. Brandon McDonald
3. Terry Cusin
4. A.J. Davis
5. Jeremy Perry

Cut: Gerard Lawson, Travis Key, Brandon Mitchell, Milvon James, Damon Jenkins

d34ng3l021
08-19-2008, 02:34 AM
Perfect timing for an injury to DA. If he doesnt get better, Brady Quinn will be playing 3 quarters as a starter, no?

Wait, did anything come out about DA's injury?

Cribbs>Hester
08-19-2008, 02:38 AM
1. Terrence McGee
2. Leodis McKlevin
3. Jabari Greer
4. William James
5. Reggie Corner
6. Ashton Youboty
7. Kenard Cox

At least one if not two of these corners will be cut from the Bills roster. Greer and James are vets with starting experience and Corner, Cox and Youboty all have more talent than any of our corners below McDonald and Wright. Lets hope we can get one. I'm sure there are other talented CB's from other teams who'll get the axe too. Hope Savage is scouting his a$$ off right now because we need help in the worst way.

keylime_5
08-20-2008, 10:54 AM
I think Buffalo wants to keep 6 corners this year b/c they lost all of them to injury last season and want to be prepared for that this time around. Cox will probably be the odd man out.

Davis and Perry seem like they should be #s 4 and 5, but Lawson could be the dark horse in that battle. Mike Adams has been very good in his role in camp and the games so far at nickel and backup safety, so he can play corner...but it would be nice still to add another veteran before the season. I've heard Andre Dyson's name mentioned before.

Cribbs>Hester
08-20-2008, 11:02 AM
I think Buffalo wants to keep 6 corners this year b/c they lost all of them to injury last season and want to be prepared for that this time around. Cox will probably be the odd man out.

Davis and Perry seem like they should be #s 4 and 5, but Lawson could be the dark horse in that battle. Mike Adams has been very good in his role in camp and the games so far at nickel and backup safety, so he can play corner...but it would be nice still to add another veteran before the season. I've heard Andre Dyson's name mentioned before.

OMG did you just say veteran? Finally another Browns fan who agrees with me. I spent all draft preaching against drafting another young CB...and Phil obviously agreed we had more pressing needs. Now I'm already been hearing how we need to draft a young corner high this year...and we don't. We need a capable veteran.

Jabari Greer will only be 27 next season and he'll be a free agent. With the drafting of McLevin and Corner I don't see Buffalo resigning him. He would be perfect for what we need in Cleveland allowing us to address the more pressing needs ala pass rushing OLB and interior lineman(McKinney, Friedman, Hadnot, Tucker are all free agents in the next 2 years and all but Hadnot are getting to that age when performance hits a hault). Also we still need a ILB or two. Orr, Davis and Griffin are all free agents next year and Davis probably wont be back. Not high though round 4 or 5 would work again.

Iamcanadian
08-20-2008, 03:04 PM
OMG did you just say veteran? Finally another Browns fan who agrees with me. I spent all draft preaching against drafting another young CB...and Phil obviously agreed we had more pressing needs. Now I'm already been hearing how we need to draft a young corner high this year...and we don't. We need a capable veteran.

Jabari Greer will only be 27 next season and he'll be a free agent. With the drafting of McLevin and Corner I don't see Buffalo resigning him. He would be perfect for what we need in Cleveland allowing us to address the more pressing needs ala pass rushing OLB and interior lineman(McKinney, Friedman, Hadnot, Tucker are all free agents in the next 2 years and all but Hadnot are getting to that age when performance hits a hault). Also we still need a ILB or two. Orr, Davis and Griffin are all free agents next year and Davis probably wont be back. Not high though round 4 or 5 would work again.

I disagree. We play a 3-4 defense which requires our CB to be shutdown CB's who have a lot of man to man coverage responsibilities. Teams that require shutdown CB's need to be always on the lookout for one in the draft if one is available. Depending on signing a decent FA's is a high gamble since your in a bidding war with 31 other teams and there is no guarantee you'll get a good one since few are available every year. It's easy to say sign so and so but the reality is that it is very difficult to grab a decent one no matter how hard you try.
Buffalo plays a Cover 2 defense where their CB's play 95% of the time in zone coverage with very little man to man responsibilities. Few if any Cover 2 CB's are very good in man to man coverage so there is no guarantee that Greer can be a solid shutdown CB.
The top priority positions on a 3-4 football team's defense is DE's, NT, OLB's and CB's in no particular order. Dallas and San Diego who play in a 3-4 defense have used very high picks on CB's so saying don't waste a #1 or even a high pick on a CB is ludicrous. When we draft, if a CB is the top talent left where we pick, we should definitely grab him without a second thought.
Saying Savage agreed with you this year is rather silly since we drafted very late and only had a few picks. He may very easily target a CB next year when he has some high picks to use.
I do agree that at this time we could use another veteran CB badly but finding a decent one this late is almost impossible.

keylime_5
08-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Did someone say veteran cornerback?

http://cle.scout.com/2/781371.html

Travis Daniels from Miami. Good enough to be a number three, more than good enough to be a number three on the Browns this year. Good enough to start in Miami possibly but they want Andre Goodman to start. Not a great player, but veteran depth who will help if we have injuries.

Cribbs>Hester
08-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Did someone say veteran cornerback?

http://cle.scout.com/2/781371.html

Travis Daniels from Miami. Good enough to be a number three, more than good enough to be a number three on the Browns this year. Good enough to start in Miami possibly but they want Andre Goodman to start. Not a great player, but veteran depth who will help if we have injuries.

Me Likey!!!!!!!!

Cribbs>Hester
08-21-2008, 11:05 PM
I disagree. We play a 3-4 defense which requires our CB to be shutdown CB's who have a lot of man to man coverage responsibilities.

Is that why New England has been winning championships with average at best corners then lost it with supposedly one of the best in the game(Asante Samuel)?

Front 7 comes before CB in a 34 anyday of the week including sundays.

I'll say it again; you don't draft nickle and dime backs in the first round period. McDonald and Wright are young and here to be our top 2 corners. It would be a completely different story, as you mentioned with Dallas, if we had aging veterans already ala Terrence Newman and Anthony Henry. Oh and San Diego drafted Cromartie high because Florence sucks and Jammer was not even close to playing like a Top 5 pick they didn't draft him to be a nickleback.

Oh and looks like Phil Savage agrees with me again. I'll say this one again too; we need veteran leadership in the secondary before another hot shot young gun who doesn't know a thing about the NFL again. Ya know as a Cleveland fan I'm at a loss as to why other Cleveland fans are still stuck in this draft and let them learn mode. We need guys who have already learned how to play in the NFL now. I don't want to be an up and coming young team forever. We need leadership, who is not over the hill(Fat Teddy and Slow Willie).

A pass rushing OLB and the interior offensive line need to be addressed in rounds 1 and 2 this year before corner. Jamal Lewis is younger than LT who everyone seems to think is still fine, and young backs have a quicker learning curve...we can wait on a back.

barry
08-22-2008, 02:28 AM
even if brodney pool steps up and provides some leadership in calling coverages, etc., i'd be a little concerned since the concussion he suffered this week is his third in four years.

JSimmsy21
08-22-2008, 11:33 PM
Is that why New England has been winning championships with average at best corners then lost it with supposedly one of the best in the game(Asante Samuel)?

Front 7 comes before CB in a 34 anyday of the week including sundays.

I'll say it again; you don't draft nickle and dime backs in the first round period. McDonald and Wright are young and here to be our top 2 corners. It would be a completely different story, as you mentioned with Dallas, if we had aging veterans already ala Terrence Newman and Anthony Henry. Oh and San Diego drafted Cromartie high because Florence sucks and Jammer was not even close to playing like a Top 5 pick they didn't draft him to be a nickleback.

Oh and looks like Phil Savage agrees with me again. I'll say this one again too; we need veteran leadership in the secondary before another hot shot young gun who doesn't know a thing about the NFL again. Ya know as a Cleveland fan I'm at a loss as to why other Cleveland fans are still stuck in this draft and let them learn mode. We need guys who have already learned how to play in the NFL now. I don't want to be an up and coming young team forever. We need leadership, who is not over the hill(Fat Teddy and Slow Willie).

A pass rushing OLB and the interior offensive line need to be addressed in rounds 1 and 2 this year before corner. Jamal Lewis is younger than LT who everyone seems to think is still fine, and young backs have a quicker learning curve...we can wait on a back.

agreed. front 7 is the most important. they stop the run and make the pass rush. if the front seven can do those two things, it makes the opposing offense one dimensional and also unable to find a groove, forcing bad and hurried passes. San Diego did it with an outstanding front 7. so has the steelers. New England won a super bowl with a WR playing in the secondary.

i was actually one of the people against drafting a corner high last year. but it worked out. i disagree slightly with what you think our needs are for rounds one an two next year. but its waaay to early to tell. my early predictions are a developing center. possibly a guard. if someone like duke Robinson was available at a good spot, i'm all for it. OLB looks like a big need now, but i'm willing to bet we don't address it. Alex hall is making way more progress than what the team expected. and maybe we can finally see was Peek is made of this year.

i'm all for a RB in round one or two next year. you say that LT is older than JLew, which is true, but only by two months. the big difference is that Lewis has a full other year in the league. but he did miss a full season with the broken leg or whatever it was, but thats all the more wear on him.

even if brodney pool steps up and provides some leadership in calling coverages, etc., i'd be a little concerned since the concussion he suffered this week is his third in four years.

this is a big concern for me as well. glad to see someone else noticed. he plays a lot like polomalu, but isn't around the ball as much bc of the coverage he plays in our D.

keylime_5
08-23-2008, 12:10 PM
I don't think we're counting on Hall to become more than a situational pass rusher, if he does then that's a huge bonus. OLB is definitely a possibility for round 1 or 2 next year even if Wimbley has a big year simply b/c Peek has never stayed healthy and McGinest is retiring. Corner is not as big a need in the draft as a lot of people make it out to be, especially those who make the mock drafts on the internet. We have 2 good young CB prospects, we just need a nickel and some veteran depth. Round 1 is not an ideal place to draft a nickelback, but if Wright and/or McDonald have a bad year individually this year (cross fingers) then a RD1 corner could definitely be a possibilty this year in order to have him be the #1 corner and have either Wright or McDonald be the nickel with the other being the #2 corner.

I really don't think we'll pick an interior offensive lineman on the first day of the draft. Savage has said before he likes to get guards and centers on day two or in free agency. Our offensive line is very good, we could get an heir apparent right guard and center in rounds 3-7 or just sign a guy who fits the system well in free agency.

Number 10
08-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Hey guys-

I had to fill out a report on the Browns and I thought you might be interested in reading some of what I came up with.

-Defensively, I don't think the Browns are quite there just yet. It's a new scheme for the most important piece to the puzzle (Rogers) and it's tough to assume he'll pick it up with ease. Considering he doesn't have to the best track record in the world when it comes to his work ethic and on-field motor, the Browns front seven may again struggle to vault the defense into a playoff caliber unit. Corey Williams is a guy I like, but he still looks uncomfortable on the outside. When the Browns put four down linemen on the field and he is back inside like he was in Green Bay, he looked like an entirely different player. If he can gain confidence as the season wears on, and I'm sure he will, the front seven will be that much better but if he is still looking awkward 8 weeks from now, it's going to be a long season for you guys.

-Why am I putting so much weight on the D-line's shoulders? Well from what I see, the 'backers need space to be effective. Andra Davis is the lone excpetion to this rule up up the middle because he plays the hit and shed role very well. He never has been and never will be a superstar, but he is the reliable, sure tackler all 3-4 teams need. D'Qwell Jackson however, tough guy to figure. I love the speed, the quickness, the tackling ability he has but I just don't think he is in the right scheme here. He struggles to take on blocks and will instead run around them, creating massive cutback lanes. There isn't a ton of speed on this defense and if this gaping holes are going to exist, teams will continue to run wild. The OLB trio of McGinest, Wimbley, and Orr is something I like. McGinest amazes me with how quick he is off the ball considering his age. Sure, he is limited when it comes to how he can be used, but with Orr spelling him and Wimbley on the other side, these guys can really make a difference. Speaking of Wimbley...I don't think he'll ever be a star but I like the progression I have seen over the course of his young career. He still lacks the balanced attack when rushing the passer but there are few in the game that get to the edge as fast as him.

-I came into the process expecting very little out of the Browns secondary. While they are going to be the weak unit of the Cleveland defense, there is promise for improvement this season. I'll start with the corners. Eric Wright is still too hands happy and will get penalized a ton all year if he keeps these ways. I like and appreciate how physical he is at the line but he needs to learn how to run downfield with his man without his hands draped all over him. He still has technique work to do but if and when he gets there, he could be a legit #1 cover man. His ability to defend the short and intermediate routes compares with the best I have seen outside of the obvious top 5-6 corners in the league. I REALLY like Brandon McDonald and his issues are pretty much the opposite of Wright, which are easier to work out. He can run downfield with anybody and has the ball skills to make a play on the pass time after time. He needs to get more physical with his press coverage but he has certainly improved from last year. The combination of Sean Jones and Brodney Pool gives this secondary some credibility, although Pool could be upgraded in the future. Jones reminds me a ton of Jets safety Kerry Rhodes. He plays in the box very well, which will be needed with Jackson in there. His coverage ability is a tad underrated from what I have heard people tell me in contrast to what I saw. He has tremendous athleticism and can change direction on a dime, which is what I like in a safety.

-The depth on the Cleveland defense is what would have me scared. The trade for Travis Daniels was needed as Terry Cousin and AJ Davis can be picked on with ease all day. The defensive line better stay healthy all year because there is not a body in that second unit I was impressed with. Shaun Smith gets tossed around too easily and and Ahtyba Rubin lacks the consistent leverage needed at that NT spot. None of your backups along that front three offer anything when it comes to disruption against the run or pass.

-The major key to how your defense will perform this year revolves around Shaun Rogers. Sure you can point to a few different important facets of the scheme and whatnot, but that NT in the 3-4 is so essential to the unit's success. If he can't free up Jackson behind him, teams will run those cutback and weakside plays all day and have plenty of success. The defense as a whole will be improved, but I'm not sure it will be to the point where it gives the Browns that needed extra push into postseason action.

-I'll give the offensive report when I have more time.

Iamcanadian
08-23-2008, 03:53 PM
I don't think we're counting on Hall to become more than a situational pass rusher, if he does then that's a huge bonus. OLB is definitely a possibility for round 1 or 2 next year even if Wimbley has a big year simply b/c Peek has never stayed healthy and McGinest is retiring. Corner is not as big a need in the draft as a lot of people make it out to be, especially those who make the mock drafts on the internet. We have 2 good young CB prospects, we just need a nickel and some veteran depth. Round 1 is not an ideal place to draft a nickelback, but if Wright and/or McDonald have a bad year individually this year (cross fingers) then a RD1 corner could definitely be a possibilty this year in order to have him be the #1 corner and have either Wright or McDonald be the nickel with the other being the #2 corner.

I really don't think we'll pick an interior offensive lineman on the first day of the draft. Savage has said before he likes to get guards and centers on day two or in free agency. Our offensive line is very good, we could get an heir apparent right guard and center in rounds 3-7 or just sign a guy who fits the system well in free agency.

I tend to agree with your assessment. If our CB's play really well then obviously we won't draft one with our 1st 2 picks but if either or both prove to be a liability then a #1 shutdown CB will be a top priority. At this point it is difficult to assess.
If we are lucky and both CB's play well then a pass rushing OLB could be our #1 priority. It's really a tough call since our defense sucked last year and we don't know how well it will perform this coming season. Nobody afterall, knows at this point how well our players will perform. There could be a whole lot of defensive positions that still need upgrading.

Cribbs>Hester
08-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Well Alex Hall is playing way better OLB than Eric Wright is playing CB. If Hall keeps playing well, earns playing time and proves he can be an effective player like he's been all day today then by all means Savage draft a 1st round corner because, as it looks now(this game is the same old same old) you obviously missed on this Eric Wright punk.

keylime_5
08-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Wright was solid last year as a rookie, and just inconsistent so far this preseason. Bright spots with a few mistakes, but the key word in the last sentence is preseason. Hall is a raw raw rookie OLB with the athletic ability who needs to figure out how to consistently get into the backfield before he can even get a role as a situational pass rusher.

Wright at CB covered Randy Moss pretty well as a rookie even though there was a safety in the neighborhood most of the time. You make it sound like Wright is on the path to being a bust, but that is not the case at all considering how much he improved week to week last year in his first year in the league. He does need to improve upon his ball skills running deep in man coverage, but his hips and footwork is fantastic for a guy that young. Mentally he will improve with experience which has really been where his only problems were.

TimD
08-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Hey guys I have Jamal Lewis as a RB for my fantasy team. Is his hamstring injury serious or should I pick up Wright just in case?

BrownsTown
08-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Wright was pretty damn good last year...Savage didn't "miss" on him because he's having a bad preseason.

TimD
08-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Wait I don't think you really answered my question.

BrownsTown
08-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Wait I don't think you really answered my question.

Wasn't responding to you...but Lewis should be ready to go for the season. Just watch for updates on his condition.

TimD
08-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Oh okay thanks. haha

kalbears13
08-25-2008, 01:24 AM
After Brady Quinn's horrible performance I think he should switch back to his Revolution helmet.

j05son
08-25-2008, 02:26 AM
After Brady Quinn's horrible performance I think he should switch back to his Revolution helmet.

=[

So disappointed with his performance. I was hoping a good game would lead to more of a debate of the starter, with Brady getting some more reps maybe in season; doubtful now.

Iamcanadian
08-25-2008, 09:10 AM
=[

So disappointed with his performance. I was hoping a good game would lead to more of a debate of the starter, with Brady getting some more reps maybe in season; doubtful now.

Really going to depend on how serious DA's concussion is. Quinn might start the season as our starter and may be OK. I don't care about his preseason game all that much. He obviously needs more work with the 1st team and still could be OK.
I didn't think he would automatically be an improvement over DA, that was just wishful thinking on some people's mind, but I also won't panic just because he had a poor exhibition game. He still has potential and hopefully he begins to show it if he has to start.

kalbears13
08-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Really going to depend on how serious DA's concussion is. Quinn might start the season as our starter and may be OK. I don't care about his preseason game all that much. He obviously needs more work with the 1st team and still could be OK.
I didn't think he would automatically be an improvement over DA, that was just wishful thinking on some people's mind, but I also won't panic just because he had a poor exhibition game. He still has potential and hopefully he begins to show it if he has to start.

It seemed like he just needed more work with the 1st team now that I think about it. A lot of the timing routes were off and he threw short a lot on deep routes.

Cribbs>Hester
08-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Brady Quinn has still shown more potential in less chances than Eric Wright has in 2 training camps and a regular season. I'm not ready to start questioning Brady Quinn's ability to play at a high level in the NFL. Eric Wright is starting to concern me though. He is in his second year now, so something better click for him before our bye week.

keylime_5
08-25-2008, 02:08 PM
I hear that LeCharles is taking a physical for the Rams. If they sign him I hope he does well.

Cribbs>Hester
08-25-2008, 07:19 PM
So what is the deal with Louis Leonard? He looked very impressive in game one, but I haven't even seen him on the field in the last two games. Did he get hurt or pi$$ of Romeo? What is the deal?

JSimmsy21
08-26-2008, 02:18 PM
So what is the deal with Louis Leonard? He looked very impressive in game one, but I haven't even seen him on the field in the last two games. Did he get hurt or pi$$ of Romeo? What is the deal?

he hurt his ankle, in practice i beleive, and it was a coaches desicion to hold him out. the staff is starting to think highly of him.

cuts today include Damon jenkins, Austin Scott, and brian Shaeffering*sp?*

aslo, JJ to the puppy, so he's out six weeks.

and finally Kevin Kasper to the injured/reserve list.

Cribbs>Hester
08-26-2008, 02:22 PM
he hurt his ankle, in practice i beleive, and it was a coaches desicion to hold him out. the staff is starting to think highly of him.

cuts today include Damon jenkins, Austin Scott, and brian Shaeffering*sp?*

aslo, JJ to the puppy, so he's out six weeks.

and finally Kevin Kasper to the injured/reserve list.

This move makes no sense to me. The guy is a watching injury and he's worthless to begin with. He is a very fast guy who can do a decent job returning kicks....thats all he has. Not to mention he's already getting up there in age. You just settle with a guy like this and say good luck to you pal.

JSimmsy21
08-26-2008, 04:55 PM
This move makes no sense to me. The guy is a watching injury and he's worthless to begin with. He is a very fast guy who can do a decent job returning kicks....thats all he has. Not to mention he's already getting up there in age. You just settle with a guy like this and say good luck to you pal.

aaactuuaallyy...Kasper was the front runner for the #3 WR spot before his hammy went nuts. he showed, hands down, thru mini camp and the begginning of training camp that he was good for that role.

and putting him on the IR does a few things.
-first, he doesn't count against the 53 man roster now, so we were able to keep one more younger player at that position.
-second, we already know what he can do in this system, and if we need more WR help next year, we already have him and don't have to worry about another team snatching him up.

overall, I'd have to say this was a VERY smart decision on the browns part.

Cribbs>Hester
08-26-2008, 09:18 PM
aaactuuaallyy...Kasper was the front runner for the #3 WR spot before his hammy went nuts. he showed, hands down, thru mini camp and the begginning of training camp that he was good for that role.

and putting him on the IR does a few things.
-first, he doesn't count against the 53 man roster now, so we were able to keep one more younger player at that position.
-second, we already know what he can do in this system, and if we need more WR help next year, we already have him and don't have to worry about another team snatching him up.

overall, I'd have to say this was a VERY smart decision on the browns part.

Younger??? He's 30 years old and still hasn't proven a thing in the NFL. He was only the favorite to win the #3 role because Romeo Crennel hates Travis Wilson and JJ was hurt. They're both better players as well as Syndric Steptoe.

I would have let this walking injury sign on with whoever he wanted to sign on with. He'll never make an impact in football.

JSimmsy21
08-28-2008, 02:14 PM
i think you misunderstood me. i meant that with Kasper being on IR, it lets us take a longer look at the other younger players on the roster, without having to cut them 4 days to soon. also letting us see one of them in one more preseason game.

*by the way* for anyone that lives in the board man area, me and a few friends of mine are going to bdubs to watch the game. PM if you might be able to make it out.

Cribbs>Hester
08-28-2008, 07:25 PM
i think you misunderstood me. i meant that with Kasper being on IR, it lets us take a longer look at the other younger players on the roster, without having to cut them 4 days to soon. also letting us see one of them in one more preseason game.

*by the way* for anyone that lives in the board man area, me and a few friends of mine are going to bdubs to watch the game. PM if you might be able to make it out.

Oh I see now, but still why would you place him on IR? that is what you do with a young injured player you'd like to see next year, not a broken vet.

Cribbs>Hester
08-28-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm sorry, but Jason Wright is so slow and stiff. He runs like a machine he doesn't have any fluidity at all. He is football smart and that is about it. He would make a great coach, but we have 2 better runners on the team than him right now.

JSimmsy21
08-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Reserve-Injured

OL Lennie Friedman

Waived

TE Brad Cieslak

DB A.J. Davis

WR Efrem Hill

TE Kolomona Kapanui

DB Travis Key

OL James Lee

WR Lance Leggett

LB David McMillan

DB Brandon Mitchell

LB Chase Ortiz

OL Jonathan Palmer

DB Jereme Perry

DL Melila Purcell

K Jason Reda

WR Steve Sanders

WR Travis Wilson

Terminated-Vested Veteran

LB Shantee Orr

Waived-Injured

OL Derrick Morse

OL Marvin Philip

DL Chase Pittman

RB Travis Thomas

i am not shocked by any of these moves. but i'm also taking into consideration that injuries have played a more than significant role in who made it and who didnt.

i think Dinkins will get cut as soon as Rucker is healthy. depends how much this team covets dinkins special teams play.

Griffin may be on the outs when Bell makes a full return. mabye.

our bottom three corners, cousin, daniels, and lawson, i think, all still have their jobs in jeopardy. these wont be the same set of corners that play Dallas.

the only reason Sowells is still on the roster is b/c he played RT reasonably well this preseason.

why dont we just cut Dorsey and make him a coach? nuts!

kalbears13
08-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Hubbard > Wilson?

Hines
08-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Honestly I think you guys did a bad job in releasing Wilson. Ya he has struggled, but beyond Edwards and Stallworth, who do you have? Cribbs is just a ST player, Steptoe is small and better for the slot IMO. I am concerned about your WR depth as well as your CB depth. You guys will still be good, but one injury to any of those areas and your season could be down the drain.

Cribbs>Hester
08-31-2008, 07:45 AM
Isaac Sowells and Nathan Bennett over James Lee???

Paul Hubbard over Travis Wilson???

I'm going to take a crap on Romeo Crennels front step. F that piece of garbage. I hope he gets hit by a bus, fat piece of garbage always keeps his kind around...fat out of shape lazy low life slobs like Washington and Sowells. I hope you choke on your next double cheese you fat slob.

Iamcanadian
08-31-2008, 02:07 PM
Honestly I think you guys did a bad job in releasing Wilson. Ya he has struggled, but beyond Edwards and Stallworth, who do you have? Cribbs is just a ST player, Steptoe is small and better for the slot IMO. I am concerned about your WR depth as well as your CB depth. You guys will still be good, but one injury to any of those areas and your season could be down the drain.

Depth certainly is a problem for our young team. It will probably be 1 more draft perhaps 2 before we begin to have the type of depth it takes to survive injuries.

keylime_5
08-31-2008, 10:10 PM
Griffin is a special teams ace, we're not gonna cut him this year Beau Bell or no Beau Bell. I get the same feeling with Dinkins, he had a great camp and has an important role on special teams, so they have 2 excuses to keep 4 TEs this year. I think they didn't see enough consistency from Wilson to keep him over a high upside guy like Hubbard. I don't think Wilson would've been active for a single game this year anyways just like last year. We only use about 3 WRs for a game and 3 TEs. Remember Tim Carter was our #3 last year and he barely saw the field.

James Lee got a lot of hype early on but faded and made a lot of mistakes late in camp, I think that's why they gave him the boot. Bennett was more consistent I think, and Sowells made the team b/c Friedman is on the IR now. Sowells can play OT or OG too.

But quite frankly, if we lose Wright or McDonald at CB or Edwards at WR to injury I will be worried.

keylime_5
08-31-2008, 10:12 PM
Depth certainly is a problem for our young team. It will probably be 1 more draft perhaps 2 before we begin to have the type of depth it takes to survive injuries.

yeah, but we certainly have come a long way. We have a very deep O-Line now and with the injuries to Tucker, Friedman, and now Hadnot that totally paid off already. DLine, LB, QB, RB, and TE look pretty deep by NFL standards anyways too. Phil needs to beef up the DB and WR units next offseason and get some more impact defenders before he's done making us where we should be to contend.

j05son
08-31-2008, 11:56 PM
I think they didn't see enough consistency from Wilson to keep him over a high upside guy like Hubbard. I don't think Wilson would've been active for a single game this year anyways just like last year. We only use about 3 WRs for a game and 3 TEs. Remember Tim Carter was our #3 last year and he barely saw the field.

Agreed. Remember that our #3 receiver caught 8 passes last year for a staggering .5 catches per game average.

Iamcanadian
09-01-2008, 12:54 AM
yeah, but we certainly have come a long way. We have a very deep O-Line now and with the injuries to Tucker, Friedman, and now Hadnot that totally paid off already. DLine, LB, QB, RB, and TE look pretty deep by NFL standards anyways too. Phil needs to beef up the DB and WR units next offseason and get some more impact defenders before he's done making us where we should be to contend.

I don't completely agree. I still think our OL needs a bit of an upgrade, certainly, we are done if Lewis goes down and WR is rather thin.
On defense, the DL is thin, LBer is OK but CB leaves me nervous even if our starters are healthy all year.
I still think this team has a ways to go before all the pieces are in place for any kind of a serious Super Bowl run, even the playoff aren't guaranteed. We've come a long way in a short time under Savage/Crennel but we still have aways to go before we'll be a truly solid team.

Cribbs>Hester
09-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Griffin is a special teams ace, we're not gonna cut him this year Beau Bell or no Beau Bell. I get the same feeling with Dinkins, he had a great camp and has an important role on special teams, so they have 2 excuses to keep 4 TEs this year. I think they didn't see enough consistency from Wilson to keep him over a high upside guy like Hubbard. I don't think Wilson would've been active for a single game this year anyways just like last year. We only use about 3 WRs for a game and 3 TEs. Remember Tim Carter was our #3 last year and he barely saw the field.

James Lee got a lot of hype early on but faded and made a lot of mistakes late in camp, I think that's why they gave him the boot. Bennett was more consistent I think, and Sowells made the team b/c Friedman is on the IR now. Sowells can play OT or OG too.

But quite frankly, if we lose Wright or McDonald at CB or Edwards at WR to injury I will be worried.

Kris Griffin is a must keep...obviously. No one disputes that roster move.

Hmm. Hubbard has more inconsistant hands than Travis Wilson plus he can't get off the jam to save his life. Syndric Steptoe has more upside than both Hubbard and Wilson anyway. I just don't know that he can do it this year yet.

Darnell Dinkins is not a special teams ace. He's a special teams flag machine. If he gets one more holding or clipping call I'd cut him and then cut his F***ing hands off.

James Lee played guard in college at a very high level. He can play LT something Isaac Sowells cannot do. Isaac Sowells is a flag machine as well. Not to mention he is a fat lazy pile of garbage with no work ethic. Nathan Bennett will never last. He's a scrub who will be gone right around the bye week.

Cribbs>Hester
09-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Haha well when you're right you're right. Nathan Bennett is already been wavied in favor of Scott Young who's been a reserve for Philadelphia the last three seasons. He has experience in the league and has played at a quality level. I like this pick up. Now for the love of God can we find someone to replace Paul Hubbard and Isaac Sowells.

keylime_5
09-01-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm glad to see Travis Key and Steve Sanders on the Practice Squad, they were both very impressive young players in the preseason games. Well very impressive for scrub standards anyway. I hope we sign one of those veteran DBs who got cut soon and ditch either Lawson or Cousin.

Cribbs>Hester
09-01-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm glad to see Travis Key and Steve Sanders on the Practice Squad, they were both very impressive young players in the preseason games. Well very impressive for scrub standards anyway. I hope we sign one of those veteran DBs who got cut soon and ditch either Lawson or Cousin.

I think for the time being we have to keep Lawson though. Cribbs has a high ankle sprain and Steptoe's shoulder is hurt. We have no one else with decent return skills other than McDonald and I don't know about you, but I don't want our starting corner returning kicks and punts, especially with our lack of depth at corner.

keylime_5
09-01-2008, 03:05 PM
yeah, that's why I would consider Cousin instead of Lawson. It would be pretty bad if we had to resort to a 3rd string KR/PR though.

Cribbs>Hester
09-04-2008, 10:41 AM
After all these years the injury bug still wont leave the Browns alone. Antwan Peek tore his patella tendon in practice on Wednesday. His season, and more likely than not career his over. Go figure, how many times have we said that since 1999?

The only good I see in this is that Alex Hall should get extended playing time. The coaches like him. We all knew he had the physical tools to be a great player. The coaches like his work ethic and quick learning abilities. Lets hope he can put it all together on the field and be a bookend for Kamerion Wimbley for a long time to come. Even if he can do that OLB just became our biggest need next offseason. We're going to need a #3 pass rusher badly even if Alex Hall does step up big time, and if he doesn't we're in an even worse situation and we're going to have to find Wimbley's bookend.

JSimmsy21
09-05-2008, 06:07 PM
here's a tidbit. looks like cribbs has a real good shot at playing sunday. yay!

same with Tucker. which is very good b/c he's much better at RG than anyone else.

actually the only two that are completely ruled out for sunday are Griffin and Rucker. Hadnot is doubtful. Pool is game time, but he's looking like a questionable.

keylime_5
09-05-2008, 06:08 PM
I hear Hadnot is definitely not gonna play even though they haven't said that out loud yet really. Pool probably won't play either. I think McKinney is gonna start at RG, not really a bad thing. yay for the OBR.

keylime_5
09-05-2008, 06:11 PM
After all these years the injury bug still wont leave the Browns alone. Antwan Peek tore his patella tendon in practice on Wednesday. His season, and more likely than not career his over. Go figure, how many times have we said that since 1999?

The only good I see in this is that Alex Hall should get extended playing time. The coaches like him. We all knew he had the physical tools to be a great player. The coaches like his work ethic and quick learning abilities. Lets hope he can put it all together on the field and be a bookend for Kamerion Wimbley for a long time to come. Even if he can do that OLB just became our biggest need next offseason. We're going to need a #3 pass rusher badly even if Alex Hall does step up big time, and if he doesn't we're in an even worse situation and we're going to have to find Wimbley's bookend.

With Willie retiring I think OLB was gonna be a huge need next year regardless. I don't think they expected Peek to be anything more than a 3rd down pass rusher. Looks like Alex Hall is the guy they're gonna try to develop as the 3rd down pass rusher for next year at least (hopefully this year too) and they're gonna try to sign/trade/draft a 2 or 3 down LOLB next year. I hope Orr and Hall get enough pass rush opposite KWimbley or else it's gonna be a long day for our DBs every week.

Iamcanadian
09-05-2008, 10:58 PM
With Willie retiring I think OLB was gonna be a huge need next year regardless. I don't think they expected Peek to be anything more than a 3rd down pass rusher. Looks like Alex Hall is the guy they're gonna try to develop as the 3rd down pass rusher for next year at least (hopefully this year too) and they're gonna try to sign/trade/draft a 2 or 3 down LOLB next year. I hope Orr and Hall get enough pass rush opposite KWimbley or else it's gonna be a long day for our DBs every week.

There is no doubt that we need another pass rusher from the OLB position.

Cribbs>Hester
09-06-2008, 01:34 AM

Its too early to tell, but there is no reason why Alex Hall can't become that 3 down linebacker we need opposite Wimbley. He played better against the run than he did rushing the passer in his two preseason starts and he has the skill set to cover guys as well. I wouldn't pencil him into our future plans as a future starter yet, but I wouldn't write him off just yet either.

keylime_5
09-06-2008, 02:14 PM
I mean that if Hall can't be the 3rd down pass rusher this year then at least they'll try to make him that next year. They need to bring in a guy to be the starter regardless of Peek. The only way they don't is if Hall has a monster year or if he's at least good enough to look like he can start next year and brings the pressure as a rookie.

barry
09-07-2008, 02:03 AM
hall seems to have the physical tools, but any more than chaun thompson? the point is that the physical tools are only part of the equation.

and they waived hubbard and signed sanders off the practice squad. there goes the 2009 5th round pick we gave up to draft hubbard.

Cribbs>Hester
09-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Cleveland needs

1.) A Saftey who can actually cover
2.) A replacement for D'Qwell Jackson who can actually cover
3.) A Pass rushing OLB
4.) A center who's not a *****
5.) A right guard who's not a *****
6.) A wide reciever who's not too pansie to play a games he's being payed to plan

keylime_5
09-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Dallas gets the Mulligan. We need to beat Pittsburgh next Sunday night when they come to town or else we ain't going to the postseason noway nohow. Crennel made Butch Davis look like Vince Lombardi as a gameday coach today. Braylon Edwards must have thought it was halloween b/c he was brickhands the first half and the invisible man the second half - not braylon edwards the pro bowl WR.

Cribbs>Hester
09-07-2008, 10:31 PM
What does our cap situation look like this coming up offseason?

We have far too many needs to help this team with just 2 picks on the first day and only 4 overall.

BrownsTown
09-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Cleveland needs

1.) A Saftey who can actually cover
2.) A replacement for D'Qwell Jackson who can actually cover
3.) A Pass rushing OLB
4.) A center who's not a *****
5.) A right guard who's not a *****
6.) A wide reciever who's not too pansie to play a games he's being payed to plan

Jones can cover.

Dqwell's bad because he can't cover WRs?

Agreed

Hank Fraley is great.

They have like 50 just plug one in.

Don't know who you're referring to there.

Cribbs>Hester
09-07-2008, 10:48 PM
You don't just plug guards in an expect to win football games. It all starts in the trenches and a guard is part of that game. Hank Fraley is a far lard who's always getting knocked back, maybe he's not that bad, but compared to the other 4 he is pathetic...the obvious weak link.

D'Qwell was toasted by Jason Witten more than once as well. All of our inside linebackers were playing flat footed and slow as always. Neither of them can cover and I wouldn't expect Beau Bell who is labled a thumper to be able to cover very well either.

Sean Jones is always getting beat so don't give me that garbage. He got toasted in the opener last season too and the first preseason game this year just off the top of my head. Thats alright though I can let that slide because he is a in-the-box type anyway. It's Brodney Pool and Mike Adams I'd like to replace.

Donte Stallworth??? The guy is a walking injury...afraid to take a hit and has gator arms at the worst possible times. I have no idea why we signed him to such a decent contract in the first place.

Oh and we need to get faster up front. We have far and away the largest Dline in the league with Smith, Williams and Rogers all three well over average for their positions. Its no wonder we can't get pressure. Well hell come to think of it the entire defense is just plain slow for the NFL.

BrownsTown
09-07-2008, 10:55 PM
You don't just plug guards in an expect to win football games. It all starts in the trenches and a guard is part of that game. Hank Fraley is a far lard who's always getting knocked back, maybe he's not that bad, but compared to the other 4 he is pathetic...the obvious weak link.

D'Qwell was toasted by Jason Witten more than once as well. All of our inside linebackers were playing flat footed and slow as always. Neither of them can cover and I wouldn't expect Beau Bell who is labled a thumper to be able to cover very well either.

Sean Jones is always getting beat so don't give me that garbage. He got toasted in the opener last season too and the first preseason game this year just off the top of my head. Thats alright though I can let that slide because he is a in-the-box type anyway. It's Brodney Pool and Mike Adams I'd like to replace.

Donte Stallworth??? The guy is a walking injury...afraid to take a hit and has gator arms at the worst possible times. I have no idea why we signed him to such a decent contract in the first place.

Oh and we need to get faster up front. We have far and away the largest Dline in the league with Smith, Williams and Rogers all three well over average for their positions. Its no wonder we can't get pressure. Well hell come to think of it the entire defense is just plain slow for the NFL.

Someone needs to calm down. It's 1 game.

Iamcanadian
09-07-2008, 11:12 PM
For me, it was pretty obvious that we need another real stud at OLB who can pressure the passer. Until we improve our pass rush, our defense just isn't going to be solid. Sure we could use some upgrades at some positions and another WR is a must but unless that pass rush improves, we aren't a playoff contender just yet.
Our offense had a real chance to be good today but when Edwards is dropping balls, we are always going to be in trouble. With Brady's injury and Manning not quite his old self, Dallas is probably the #1 team in the NFL so losing to them doesn't end our season.

Cribbs>Hester
09-07-2008, 11:18 PM
1 game are you kidding me?

Our inside linebackers have been sucking since the day we drafted them.

Donte Stallworth has always been a huge pansie.

This defense has been slow as long as I could remember.

Sean Jones has never been a great coverage saftey.

I guess the RG thing it is just one game because it was Seth McKinney. I know Ryan Tucker and Rex Hadnot are both better. I still don't like McKinney or Fraley. We should start Tucker(RG) and Hadnot(C) when they're both healthy. Romeo is too loyal for that to ever happen though.

Smooth Criminal
09-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Theres a reason Stallworth can't stick with any team. He is always hurt.

Your career isn't very impressive when you have played on 4 teams in 4 years.

keylime_5
09-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Jones is a field general so to speak and is great in the box and on passing plays in front of him. He's not the best in deep coverage or going towards the double team or against the tight end in coverage, but we can still be a great defense if we put pieces around Sean Jones, notably a ballhawking free safety. We have bigger fish to fry, Jones is a nice player.

Also regarding the center and right guard, that's not our strongest area on the team but our offensive line is not a question mark at all, it's one of our biggest strengths and even in yesterday's debacle they didn't play bad even with a couple mistakes (Thomas' false start and Fraley's bad snap). Tucker will solidify the spot for 2008 and in 2009 we'll either get a new guy or stick Hadnot/McKinney in there and move on.

Stallworth does worry me, not just his injuries but his tendency to not go 100% every down. We were supposed to have Stallworth and Jurevicius this year, right now we only have Stallworth some of the time. Not having JJ in there hurts Anderson's confidence big time.

Our linebackers are gonna be a headache all year....again. Andra Davis played well yesterday, Leon and D'Qwell and Kamerion did not. Willie played good for a 60 year old stiff veteran and is only a 1 or 2 down player this year. Savage is gonna have to give that unit a facelift next spring.

We have to beat Pittsburgh next sunday night at home, or else we aren't gonna do anything this year but disappoint and stay home in January.

Cribbs>Hester
09-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Do we have enough money or any chance at signing Terrell Suggs at all? I'm sure he wouldn't mind coming back to the 34 defense in which he flurished any easily played his best football. Savage has that conection, and we need another pass rusher badly...preferably someone with proven abilities. I also think Baltimore's management really erked him the wrong way last offseason, so I don't know that he'll want to return.

Isn't it a possibility the salary cap will be no more after the 2010 season?

JSimmsy21
09-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Do we have enough money or any chance at signing Terrell Suggs at all? I'm sure he wouldn't mind coming back to the 34 defense in which he flurished any easily played his best football. Savage has that conection, and we need another pass rusher badly...preferably someone with proven abilities. I also think Baltimore's management really erked him the wrong way last offseason, so I don't know that he'll want to return.

Isn't it a possibility the salary cap will be no more after the 2010 season?

our salary cap for next year should be in very good shape. remember a lot of Rogers and Anderson's money were front loaded.

there is a possibility of an uncapped year in 2010. there was another year back in the 90's that this happened, also. but the browns are in very good shape for that year as almost every single one of our starters are signed thru 2011 or later.

**Pittsburgh's schedule just got easier as Tom Brady is out for the year. this just makes Sunday nights game even more important. **

**i know someone that is going to be at the Pittsburgh/browns game. he sitting right i the middle of the dog pound in the fourth row. that d*ck. he'll be holding a poster that has brownie the elf stomping on the Pittsburgh logo.

keylime_5
09-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Our schedule looks harder now too with the Jets and Broncos looking good. And I know Pitt plays them as well but Philly on the road is gonna be a tough matchup too. Our offense needs to gel THIS week and our defense needs to improve with every game or else.

Cribbs>Hester
09-09-2008, 03:58 PM
I watched this game again lastnight just to watch our linebackers and D'Qwell Jackson should be benched. He's pathetic. Can't shed blockers, gets driven backwards, plays flat footed in his zones, and cannot cover a TE or back to save his life(Obviously we have to let TO beating him slide that was a coaching error). He has never once showed any flashes of being a good linebacker while Leon Williams has had 2 dominate games and several other very good games in the same amount of years. Leon Williams is also the far superior athlete, quicker and faster. He can run side line to side line better and he's better in coverage(I don't think he's very good either, but better).

Bench D'Qwell, and maybe it'll light a fire under him if it doesn't then stick it out this season with Leon Williams and see what he has to offer. He reminds me a lot of Donnie Edwards who wasn't a very good player until a few years down the road as well. Beau Bell could be our thumper and Leon Williams the side line to side line/coverage backer. If it doesn't workout then we draft someone else this year or next and let Jackson or Williams or both walk in 2010.

D'Qwell was hands down the worst linebacker of the game. Also, Kamerion Wimbley looked to me like he was thinking way too much. They have this kid so freaking coached full of garbage just let him pin his ears back and go after the QB and he'll get more pressure. He definitely needs to develope another pass rushing move though. If I see that same dip get defeated one more time I'm going to throw my remote through the TV.

Davis looked very good actually. He's just a little slower now and like the rest of our backers horrible in coverage.

Willie McGinest is just slower than old man time trying to run through a pool of syrup.

Alex Hall actually made two great plays forcing the runner to bounce it back inside and Andra Davis and Sean Jones were not where to be found. He's thinking too much as well, but that is to be expected out of any rookie let alone a 7th rounder forced into the lineup in week one.

The defense is pathetic, but it looks to me as though it is more so coaching than lack of talent. This defense is coached up to be soft. When you are letting the tightends get off the ball freely without any sort of chuck off the line it makes it much more difficult for the safties and inside linebackers to pick them up in coverage. It also makes it much easier for the QB to find a target much faster, so essentially we are defeating our pass rush. Another thing that is killing our pass rush is the soft cusions given to the recievers on the outside. Our coaching staff is so afraid of these young guys getting beat deep their playing them so far off the ball that the reciever simply has to stop and he becomes wide open. I'm 5'3 couldn't see over my offensive line and I could still make that read and throw. Until we start chucking tightends off the line and jamming wide recievers before they get off the ball you can count on a pointless pass rush and teams to pick the secondary apart.

This makes two defensive coordinators and a new make up of players with the same results. The common denominator is Romeo Crennel. He is suppose to be the leader of this team so he needs to step up and teach these players better. The reasons we are getting beat on defense are elementary and he is suppose to be a defensive genius?

BrownsTown
09-09-2008, 04:27 PM
I vote we cut Braylon Edwards. He had 1 bad game and we all know it's impossible to change from week to week as we all know. Brady Quinn should be cut as well, he did nothing.

Cribbs>Hester
09-09-2008, 04:45 PM
I vote we cut Braylon Edwards. He had 1 bad game and we all know it's impossible to change from week to week as we all know. Brady Quinn should be cut as well, he did nothing.

Pathetic attempt at making an excuse for one game.

ITS NOT JUST ONE GAME. Show me one time D'Qwell Jackson has ever been an effective linebacker, he's in his third year now, not his first game.

The coaching has always been pathetic. This is their 4th year now, not first game.

Kamerion Wimbley has always only had one pass rushing move. This isn't his first rodeo either.

If you would have actually got the point of my post you would have noticed that I said it was correctable. The not chucking TE's and jamming recievers point was to show that our defense could be a lot more effective if those corrections are made. It's up to Romeo and Tucker to actually make those adjustments. This is Tuckers first year, so he gets a break, but Romeo has been around forever and 4 years here now.

Romeo Crennel and D'Qwell Jackson are the two guys I'm pissed about. Everything else is easily fixable. Romeo and Jackson have both been here long enough to know better than what they're showing.

BrownsTown
09-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Pathetic attempt at making an excuse for one game.

ITS NOT JUST ONE GAME. Show me one time D'Qwell Jackson has ever been an effective linebacker, he's in his third year now, not his first game.

The coaching has always been pathetic. This is their 4th year now, not first game.

Kamerion Wimbley has always only had one pass rushing move. This isn't his first rodeo either.

If you would have actually got the point of my post you would have noticed that I said it was correctable. The not chucking TE's and jamming recievers point was to show that our defense could be a lot more effective if those corrections are made. It's up to Romeo and Tucker to actually make those adjustments. This is Tuckers first year, so he gets a break, but Romeo has been around forever and 4 years here now.

Romeo Crennel and D'Qwell Jackson are the two guys I'm pissed about. Everything else is easily fixable. Romeo and Jackson have both been here long enough to know better than what they're showing.

D'Qwell has had 2 fine seasons besides this game, which is why you look like an overreacting ***** at the moment.

Cribbs>Hester
09-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Wow. Someone just looks at stats doesn't he. All those tackles he's been making have been 5+ yards down field. He's never once made an impact play in his career. 0 Forced Fumbles, 1 Interception he didn't even make the play, and 1 sack.

Leon Williams was asked to contain Michael Vick of all people and completely destroyed him. Cleveland, thanks to Leon, control Vick better than any team except Carolina during Vicks days in the NFL. Not to mention his game against San Francisco when he was making life miserable for the QB time after time. He has show flashes of being a play maker in this league. D'Qwell Jackson has never done that and it's time to face up to it.

keylime_5
09-09-2008, 10:16 PM
D'Qwell has had 2 fine seasons besides this game, which is why you look like an overreacting ***** at the moment.

2 mediocre but "promising" seasons. He can be good but if sunday is any indication he's in trouble. He gets a mulligan for Dallas. They are probably the best team in the NFL and have an incredible OLine and skill position players. Their offense is like ours except better. He's better than Leon though. Leon has been very disappointing since 2007, he gets lost and takes wrong angles and misses gaps and doesn't read the plays right and so many other things. Well he's not as bad as that sounds but he is not better than jackson or davis right now, he's mediocre and decent for his role as the mike in our nickel D.

Smooth Criminal
09-10-2008, 11:33 AM
BROWNS’ SEAN JONES OUT SEVERAL WEEKS
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 10, 2008, 11:56 a.m. EDT
The Cleveland Browns’ secondary has taken a big hit.

Safety Sean Jones will have arthroscopic surgery on his right knee and miss several weeks, Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer is reporting. Coach Romeo Crennel said Jones will not be placed on injured reserve, and the team does think he’ll be back this year.

Jones, a 2004 second-round draft pick, has started every game since the beginning of the 2006 season. His absence will be especially difficult for the Browns to deal with if their other starting safety, Brodney Pool, can’t return this week from the concussion that kept him out Week 1.

Mike Adams and Nick Sorensen would be the starting safeties if both Jones and Pool are out. Crennel said the Browns might add a safety to the roster.

Ouch.

kalbears13
09-10-2008, 11:44 AM
We've had more injuries so far this year than we had all of last year...

keylime_5
09-10-2008, 12:11 PM
This means Pool and Adams at safety against Pittsburgh. Not good, Big Ben will test us deep several times with Holmes and Washington, ugh. This season is not setting up well at all for our players with all the injuries at key positions this early.

kalbears13
09-10-2008, 12:18 PM
This means Pool and Adams at safety against Pittsburgh. Not good, Big Ben will test us deep several times with Holmes and Washington, ugh. This season is not setting up well at all for our players with all the injuries at key positions this early.

Is Brodney going to be back?

JSimmsy21
09-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Pool should be back for Sunday.

Pittsburgh schedule got easier again now that Merriman is out for the year.

Cribbs>Hester
09-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Romeo just gave up on his team two weeks in a row. I hope Randy Lerner punches him in his fat lard of a face, shits on his chest and then burns his ******* house down using his damn contract to start the fire.

Hines
09-14-2008, 10:20 PM
You gave us a tough battle. If Romeo and DA didnt suck, you could have won.

j05son
09-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Romeo just gave up on his team two weeks in a row. I hope Randy Lerner punches him in his fat lard of a face, shits on his chest and then burns his ******* house down using his damn contract to start the fire.

4th and seven on an almost 8 minute drive. You HAVE to come out with points on it. You miss on 4th and 7 on an 8 minute drive and leave with 0 points, your offense won't be the same IF they get the ball back. You lose ALL MOMENTUM. Please, keep making calls from your couch, Romeo is one of the best things to happen to this team.

Cribbs>Hester
09-14-2008, 10:38 PM
- rep for being an idiot.

Learn something about the game before you come and try to post about it.

4th and seven on an almost 8 minute drive. You HAVE to come out with points on it. You miss on 4th and 7 on an 8 minute drive and leave with 0 points, your offense won't be the same IF they get the ball back. You lose ALL MOMENTUM. Please, keep making calls from your couch, Romeo is one of the best things to happen to this team.

You're just like every other Cleveland fan full of false hopes. Romeo has been riding the coat tails of Parcels and BB for years. He's failed badly every time he left and this time is no different. He's a bad coach plain and simple. Every good thing we've had happen to us has been a direct opposite of what Romeo decided on doing. He never has his team prepared to come out swinging and makes piss poor adjustments. He's a fat lard who needs to be fired.

j05son
09-14-2008, 11:49 PM
You're just like every other Cleveland fan full of false hopes. Romeo has been riding the coat tails of Parcels and BB for years. He's failed badly every time he left and this time is no different. He's a bad coach plain and simple. Every good thing we've had happen to us has been a direct opposite of what Romeo decided on doing. He never has his team prepared to come out swinging and makes piss poor adjustments. He's a fat lard who needs to be fired.

No, your like every Browns fan who thinks this is an overnight process.

Savage and Crennel have done wonders for this team.

You'll the one with false hopes thinking we're a Super Bowl team that shouldn't have lost to arguably the 2 best teams in the NFL.

Trade in your wishful thinking for some football knowledge or GTFO.

steelersfan43
09-15-2008, 03:46 AM
Good game, but shaun rodgers is a dirtbag. late hits, facemasks all over the place and the one hit where three seconds after the throw he headbutts roethlisberger in his hurt shoulder.

steelersfan43
09-15-2008, 03:50 AM
also, winslow looked like an idiot after he yelled at anderson that he was open on the pick to polamalu and comes out after halftime and dropes one right in his hands fifteen yards down field

JSimmsy21
09-15-2008, 06:38 AM
- rep for being an idiot.

Learn something about the game before you come and try to post about it.

i have to completely disagree with you. very bad decisions all night by crennel. we have pitt backed up on their own 1 yard line, we play it right on first down then on 2nd down blitz only four? really?

terrible clock management at the end of the game. just bad.

going for a field goal before the half, safe decision. bad one too. in a game where both teams were having a terrible time moving the football, there would be nothing wrong with an overtime game. by kicking that field goal, at the end of the game we needed a touchdown, and if we went for it but didnt get it, well, we still needed a TD. in know, hindsight and all that, but knowing pittsburgh was having a hard time moving the ball, going for it was just fine.

Good game, but shaun rodgers is a dirtbag. late hits, facemasks all over the place and the one hit where three seconds after the throw he headbutts roethlisberger in his hurt shoulder.

no, shaun rodgers is a manchild. complete beast that single handedly embarrased your OL, by himself. destroying double teams all night. and he didnt have any facemasks, he had a close one, and the "late hit", he was in momentum which makes it a legal hit, but i'm sure he didnt try and stop either :)

oh, and what about all the holding calls, or lack thereof on your LT on wimbley? i remember one play in particular, a pitch to the left for parker. wimbley was on path to bust it up, but for some reason couldn't run AWAY from the blocker.

also, winslow looked like an idiot after he yelled at anderson that he was open on the pick to polamalu and comes out after halftime and dropes one right in his hands fifteen yards down field

i think he was justified. anderson had all day to throw that pass. and for whatever reason he wasnt on the field for the last 2 plays of the game!! WTF?! there's no way that was chuds decision.

-more later, i have to go to work now

keylime_5
09-15-2008, 08:22 AM
That was probably the worst called game by a head coach I've ever seen. What a joke, Romeo made some of the stupidest mistakes in that game what the hell was he thinking? We played fairly well, but he didn't give us a chance to win it. Seriously, if you're down by a touchdown with 3 minutes left when you're offense is on a roll and it the strength of your team, you kick a field goal which means you need another TD anyways - but that involives putting faith in your worst unit (defense) and then hoping to have another drive (which takes more than 2 minutes) to score a touchdown (which hasn't happened yet this season for us). Crennel should be fired before the season ends. We're not gonna beat anyone but Cincy, Baltimore, and Houston at that rate.

Hines
09-15-2008, 08:44 AM

Rodgers is a beast. He actually wanted to play last night. He played well, even though I did not like the hit he put on Ben because it was a little late.

Bad calls all over the place last night for both teams. Its whatever though.

kalbears13
09-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Maybe if Jerome Harrison could pick up a fumble...

Robaire Smith may be out for the season...

We need to win our next 2 games.

JSimmsy21
09-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Robaire has officially been declared out for the season with a ruptured Achilles tendon.

keylime_5
09-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Rogers has looked good. So has Shaun Smith, at least most of the time. We are officially at the bottom of the barrell though with DTs, we have our 3 starters and a bunch of scrubs. Looks like Leonard might see the rotation a bit now.

We should beat Baltimore, no excuse not to no matter which venue it's at. They have a good defense but so did Pitt and Dallas and so will NYG, WAS, PHI, JAC, TEN, etc.

Cribbs>Hester
09-17-2008, 07:47 PM
It appears that Phil Savage and Romeo Crennel are not on the same page and in the midst of a tiff right now. That being the case then peace the **** out Romeo. You're and overrated flop you pathetic excuse of a coach. You have talent, but you never use it. Every team in the league uses depth fairly well except your team jackass. You don't use the 2nd best runner on the team. You don't rotate pass rushers in on obvious passing situation...instead you let an old busted down has been attempt to halfway get out of his stance before the ball is away. You're loyalty makes me puke you fat lard.

We'll find out where this franchise is heading at season end. If Randy Lerner chooses to keep Romeo over Savage then we are heading for the basement again. If he chooses Savage over Romeo and finds a quallity coach then we're not far from playoff competition year after year.

j05son
09-18-2008, 03:13 AM
That was probably the worst called game by a head coach I've ever seen. What a joke, Romeo made some of the stupidest mistakes in that game what the hell was he thinking? We played fairly well, but he didn't give us a chance to win it. Seriously, if you're down by a touchdown with 3 minutes left when you're offense is on a roll and it the strength of your team, you kick a field goal which means you need another TD anyways - but that involives putting faith in your worst unit (defense) and then hoping to have another drive (which takes more than 2 minutes) to score a touchdown (which hasn't happened yet this season for us). Crennel should be fired before the season ends. We're not gonna beat anyone but Cincy, Baltimore, and Houston at that rate.

Can you come up with any real football knowledge other than copy and pasting OBR. If you stray away from OBR you end up with the text above that shouts "i don't know anything about football."

1. "Romeo made the stupidest mistakes in the game:"
Romeo [or Chud] went for a quick TD or incompletion when there was 8 seconds left in the first half. It was a play called by Chud that didn't have everyone in the endzone and it was Anderson who tried to force it and got picked. I fail to see how that was Romeo's bad call.

Maybe you mean in the second half when we marched down to our own 20 and couldn't convert for the first down. You have 2 options: 1 - go for it, or 2 - go for the for sure points. When you waste that much clock, moving the ball for the first time, and then fading out, YOU HAVE TO PUT POINTS BACK ON THE SCOREBOARD. Plus he was giving the game back to [this brings up the next point as well]

2. "putting faith in our worst unit"
As we all know that the unit that looks the best on paper and from past seasons obviously is [/sarcasm]. The defense held Pittsburgh to 10 total points. If our offense is suppose to be so top notch that we have our QB missing easy throws [for an NFL QB] and making bad decision all game, if your stud WR is leading the league in dropped catches, our secondary WR's [JJ and Stallworth] are both injured, our offensive line can't open up anything for Lewis, how is our defense [again, 10 points held - all game] the worst unit on this football team. That would be the offense. It doesn't matter that we have multiple pro bowlers on O, if we're suppose to be this good on offense, with an OC who's deemed a quote "genius" and "future head coach" I would think that our all star packed O-Line could open a whole, or our all star packed offense could score a TD.

Crennel put the game with the unit that was doing the best. The defense was holding all game, he put the best percentage for guaranteed points up on the board, put the game in the unit that was at that time, playing better than our offense to win the game. Our defense had about 3 mins to hold, and it took a scramble by Roethlisberger and a 19 yard pass to Miller to break it wide open, force the Time Outs gone, and then holding onto the ball.

It's great that you can make Monday morning calls from your couch, Crennel made the best play by going for the quick TD and hoping to settle for a FG at worst in the first half [everyone knows that's how it's done in the NFL] and again in the second half getting points on the board, and playing to live another position, giving the game in the control of the unit doing the best with a tad over 3 minutes in game remaining.

I would consider just coping and pasting OBR reports...

Edit: if anyone would have told you in June or July that if we would score 11 points against the Steelers we would win the game, we would have circled that game for a win easy. Esp with how "good" our offense is.

p.s - I also fully expect our offense to get back on track, but that doesn't defeat the purpose that they are doing horrible and are no longer the best unit on this team currently and cost us the game Sunday. I also think it's funny that when you go to pinpoint lack of coaching, you solely placed this on Romeo alone. Always like Cleveland, using the coach for a scapegoat because you thought this was the year...

keylime_5
09-18-2008, 02:51 PM
I didn't even read anything on the OBR about that game, I watched the game, was disgusted, and that's what I think about it. Bad coaching and clock management, the field goal was ridiculous. No question we should have went for it. If we didn't get it then that gave Pittsburgh a longer field, we still would have had to stop them and get the ball back to score a TD....the only difference being that if we did score a TD it would've been tied instead of us having a 3 point lead. In a close game like that you go for it, we were in a rhythm with the passing game, something like 5 completions in a row on that drive, our OLine was picking up the blitz, it was rolling. We better get it turned around here or we're staring at a 5 or 6 win season right in the face.

Cribbs>Hester
09-18-2008, 09:52 PM
What does anyone know about Eric Young? Is his torn quad from last year the reason why he was on the injury list all summer, or did something else happen? Obviously the Browns think fairly high of him or we wouldn't have kept him around with an injury. Wonder were they had planned on him playing, back up LT(played there in college), depth for LG, or possible future replacement at RG or RT???

keylime_5
09-18-2008, 10:08 PM
versatile guy they liked, they apparently thought if not for the injury that Young would have been a 3rd or 4th round draft pick so they shelved him for 2009. Probably will get a good chance to compete for a roster spot next year and they'll see what happens from there.

JSimmsy21
09-19-2008, 03:54 PM
At Baltimore this week. They ran the ball some 48 times their first week. If we don't play a safety in the box that entire game except for obvious passing downs, ill be pissed

Cribbs>Hester
09-19-2008, 04:29 PM
At Baltimore this week. They ran the ball some 48 times their first week. If we don't play a safety in the box that entire game except for obvious passing downs, ill be pissed

Especially since they can't cover anyway. It would be like playing with 10 on the field if we left them in coverage because they always get burnt anyway....might as well use them to stop the run.

keylime_5
09-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Crennel would probably play a 3-3-5 the whole game knowing him and do that umbrella crap.....6 yards a rush.

On the bright side their leading rusher is their freakin' fullback, who is more of a blocker than a runner to start with. I think McGahee's back this week though. We should win this game I dont' care what city it's in, their offense shouldn't score more than 13 points tops, and we have to move the ball more than we have been.

RoyHall#1
09-21-2008, 06:01 PM
We should've traded him while we could still get something.

BrownsTown
09-21-2008, 06:39 PM
There's two questions that I'm going to ask before next week's game.

Is Romeo still the head coach?

Is Derek Anderson still starting?

If the answer to both of those are yes, I'm not going to watch because I'll already know the outcome.

Cribbs>Hester
09-21-2008, 06:42 PM
There's two questions that I'm going to ask before next week's game.

Is Romeo still the head coach?

Is Derek Anderson still starting?

If the answer to both of those are yes, I'm not going to watch because I'll already know the outcome.

Seriously?

I'm not calling you out just because you don't like me and we're having and arguement in another thread, and I could be wrong about this, but aren't you the one who was harping on me about jumping all over Romeo and Anderson? and now you're on the same wagon?

BrownsTown
09-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Seriously?

I'm not calling you out just because you don't like me and we're having and arguement in another thread, and I could be wrong about this, but aren't you the one who was harping on me about jumping all over Romeo and Anderson? and now you're on the same wagon?

Maybe you're thinking of someone else? I was sort of undecided, back and forth but I don't remember saying anything strongly for one way or the other.

j05son
09-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Look at this offense roll...

Cribbs>Hester
09-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Maybe you're thinking of someone else? I was sort of undecided, back and forth but I don't remember saying anything strongly for one way or the other.

Maybe it was someone else.

Cribbs>Hester
09-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Romeo Crennel ladies and gentlemen:

Record Against Winning Teams :: 5-15
Division Record :: 4-16

Cincinnati W 45-51
Cincinnati L 27-13
Cincinnati L 23-20
Cincinnati L 34-17
Cincinnati L 30-0
Cincinnati L 19-14

Baltimore W 30-33
Baltimore W 13-27
Baltimore W 16-20
Baltimore L 16-3
Baltimore L 27-17
Baltimore L 15-14
Baltimore L 28-10

Pittsburgh L 34-21
Pittsburgh L 41-0
Pittsburgh L 24-20
Pittsburgh L 27-7
Pittsburgh L 34-7
Pittsburgh L 31-28
Pittsburgh L 10-6

Average points for :: 16.4
Average points against :: 26.2

Points Breakdown:
Points For(328):
Cincinnati 115
Baltimore 124
Pittsburgh 89

Points Against(524):
Baltimore 145
Cincinnati 178
Pittsburgh 201

He's obvious;y failed in the Division. He obviously can't beat the team the divison runs through. He's clearly most pathetic against Pittsburgh. He can't beat decent teams. The guy was living on the coat tails of Parcels and Belichek for years. He has failed ever time he left their side and this time is no different. He's a joke. He wanted to keep Mo Carthon...obviously the bad decision. He was the one who wanted to start Frye...obviously the bad decision. The opposite of both those decisions is what made us better last year, yet somehow everyone credited Romeo for the good year???? I don't get Cleveland fans at all.

Fire the fat lard of garbage!

keylime_5
09-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Well that was a short season. Can't wait till next year when we have Quinn and some new defensive guys to improve our crappy team. I wonder who we'll draft...Maualuga? Wells? Jenkins? V.Davis? I think it'll be a miracle to win more than 5 games this year looking at the schedule.

j05son
09-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Romeo Crennel ladies and gentlemen:

Record Against Winning Teams :: 5-15
Division Record :: 4-16

Cincinnati W 45-51
Cincinnati L 27-13
Cincinnati L 23-20
Cincinnati L 34-17
Cincinnati L 30-0
Cincinnati L 19-14

Baltimore W 30-33
Baltimore W 13-27
Baltimore W 16-20
Baltimore L 16-3
Baltimore L 27-17
Baltimore L 15-14
Baltimore L 28-10

Pittsburgh L 34-21
Pittsburgh L 41-0
Pittsburgh L 24-20
Pittsburgh L 27-7
Pittsburgh L 34-7
Pittsburgh L 31-28
Pittsburgh L 10-6

Average points for :: 16.4
Average points against :: 26.2

Points Breakdown:
Points For(328):
Cincinnati 115
Baltimore 124
Pittsburgh 89

Points Against(524):
Baltimore 145
Cincinnati 178
Pittsburgh 201

He's obvious;y failed in the Division. He obviously can't beat the team the divison runs through. He's clearly most pathetic against Pittsburgh. He can't beat decent teams. The guy was living on the coat tails of Parcels and Belichek for years. He has failed ever time he left their side and this time is no different. He's a joke. He wanted to keep Mo Carthon...obviously the bad decision. He was the one who wanted to start Frye...obviously the bad decision. The opposite of both those decisions is what made us better last year, yet somehow everyone credited Romeo for the good year???? I don't get Cleveland fans at all.

Fire the fat lard of garbage!

Come on, look at our personal and what he started with. It was garbage, and it takes time, it's not an instant process like you seem to think it is.

He wanted to keep Mo Carthon as we have had some many cordinators in how many years? You can't have a new guy every year. I do agree that wasn't his best, but Chud has his MO moments as well [plus look how good this offense is rolling maaaaaan].

Romeo started Frye, you're right, however, you seem to leave out the fact that Anderson did so bad in training camp and preseason last year, that Frye WON the starting job. Stop being so incredibly ignorant and maybe think before you post something. "He put in Charlie Frye" and so would you if you remember how "well" Anderson was doing then. Anderson came out of nowhere in week 2 against Cincinnati [I fully remember as I was sitting in the DAWG POUND with JSIMMSY21]. Charlie Frye WON the starting QB job, hindsight is great, I'm so impressed you can make correct calls AFTER it's all said and done.

I don't get how "you don't get Cleveland fans" as your like all of them. Fire the headcoach when it's not going right. It's not like it's the team that's doing horrible. Use the coach as a scapegoat for a bad season even though his team is riddled with injuries and his playmakers are doing horrible. Sure he had questionable clock management last week, what did he do wrong this week, play edwards and anderson [>_>]. Let's just fire him, get a new guy who's going to rearrange everything, and then fire him in 2 years when we're sill drafting top 15.

Stability in the coaching staff will work wonders for this team. Wonders won't be seen immediately; Savage, Crennel, and RL all came together on a 5-7 year plan to turn this club around.

Your rep is fitting for your amount of football knowledge. Try thinking before you post.

keylime_5
09-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Defense is crap. Offense has talent, but is terrible. Crennel is a lousy coach...a weak schedule, a good offensive coordinator, healthy players, and some good offensive talent bailed him out last year. This year there are a few injuries, but the defense is as bad as ever and our offense is underperforming by a lot. Crennel sucks against good teams and against division foes. If he doesn't turn it around it is time we got a new coach. Romeo is good for some things, but he is not getting it done in the wins column.

Iamcanadian
09-22-2008, 12:30 AM
As I said previously, I don't think Crennel is a lousy HC but sometimes a scapegoat is needed before a team can continue to progress. Crennel lifted expectations based on Anderson's play last season and just maybe DA isn't going to pan out and we are in for a tough season.
I think we played over our heads last year and we just aren't as good as we hoped. In this atmosphere, Crennel could be fired as sometimes a teams goes stale for a HC and you need new blood to get the young players back on the right tract.
Teams always have to offer their fans hope in order to sell tickets and merchandise and a GM like Savage realizes he may have no choice but to replace Crennel even if he doesn't want to. When Crennel took this job he must have known that it would take a good 5 years to make up for the draft picks of the previous management team and he probably knew it would be difficult to survive that long.
A win next week would probably quiet fans for awhile but a another loss and Crennel may have to be sacrificed for the sake of the franchise even though it won't make us winners next year.
Remember, Tony Dungy was fired and Gruden got the Super Bowel win for Tampa. It didn't make Dungy a bad HC as he proved by winning his own Super Bowl but a change was probably necessary.
Heck, we fired BB and look what he's done in NE.

j05son
09-22-2008, 03:23 AM
As I said previously, I don't think Crennel is a lousy HC but sometimes a scapegoat is needed before a team can continue to progress. Crennel lifted expectations based on Anderson's play last season and just maybe DA isn't going to pan out and we are in for a tough season.
I think we played over our heads last year and we just aren't as good as we hoped. In this atmosphere, Crennel could be fired as sometimes a teams goes stale for a HC and you need new blood to get the young players back on the right tract.
Teams always have to offer their fans hope in order to sell tickets and merchandise and a GM like Savage realizes he may have no choice but to replace Crennel even if he doesn't want to. When Crennel took this job he must have known that it would take a good 5 years to make up for the draft picks of the previous management team and he probably knew it would be difficult to survive that long.
A win next week would probably quiet fans for awhile but a another loss and Crennel may have to be sacrificed for the sake of the franchise even though it won't make us winners next year.
Remember, Tony Dungy was fired and Gruden got the Super Bowel win for Tampa. It didn't make Dungy a bad HC as he proved by winning his own Super Bowl but a change was probably necessary.
Heck, we fired BB and look what he's done in NE.

I so very much thank you for this post.

=]

I think your absolutely right as well.

JSimmsy21
09-22-2008, 05:23 AM
AAARRRGGGHH!!!

here's all my tidbits

-It would be AWESOME if DA would throw the ball to someone OTHER than K2. he forced pass after pass into double and triple coverage just to get him the ball, and nearly killed.

-our DL got no push.

-if Alex Hall can continue progress, we no longer need a OLB next year. he's everywhere.

-this defense if much better than years past. so what you will. but when your defense is on the field the whole ******* game b/c the O goes 3 and out over and over, then has to be on the field for nearly 10 min straight, the D wont look good.

-nice job Eric Wright. **** you!

-McKinney sucks

-Chud is an idiot. i said it. Jamal was running hard and fast. why give up on the run so fast, as is every other time we come from behind. and if your going to pass every play, and your playing the most aggressive defense in the league, why leave Lewis in every play and not put harrison to set up the screen to counter the blitz.

-then again, harrison cant get the ball more if the offense never stays on the field, DA throws more passes towards the defense, and what passes he throws on target are usually to K2. even if he's not open.

-these penalties need to stop, now!

i'll add to this later when i get home from work. i got a bunch more

Cribbs>Hester
09-22-2008, 05:41 AM
Hindsite? Frye didn't win anything. Romeo Crennel flipped a freaking coin because he doesn't have the backbone to make a decision.

His play makers aren't making plays because the head coach doesn't hold anyone accountable for their mistakes. The false starts ect. are a lack of disipline and a reflection of bad coaching.

Quit backing the fat man. He's a failure every where he's been without Belichek and Parcels and this time is no different. He's a players coach, not a leader.

RoyHall#1
09-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Crennel didn't flip a coin to decide who would start the season.. he did that in preseason and they both got the same amount of playing time. Frye won the job to start the season. No coin flip.

j05son
09-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Crennel didn't flip a coin to decide who would start the season.. he did that in preseason and they both got the same amount of playing time. Frye won the job to start the season. No coin flip.

LOL,

Cribbs>Hester, still waiting for you to think before you post...Have you considered trying it yet instead of trolling the boards?

JSimmsy21
09-22-2008, 10:13 PM
AAARRRGGGHH!!!

here's all my tidbits

-It would be AWESOME if DA would throw the ball to someone OTHER than K2. he forced pass after pass into double and triple coverage just to get him the ball, and nearly killed.

-our DL got no push.

-if Alex Hall can continue progress, we no longer need a OLB next year. he's everywhere.

-this defense if much better than years past. so what you will. but when your defense is on the field the whole ******* game b/c the O goes 3 and out over and over, then has to be on the field for nearly 10 min straight, the D wont look good.

-nice job Eric Wright. **** you!

-McKinney sucks

-Chud is an idiot. i said it. Jamal was running hard and fast. why give up on the run so fast, as is every other time we come from behind. and if your going to pass every play, and your playing the most aggressive defense in the league, why leave Lewis in every play and not put harrison to set up the screen to counter the blitz.

-then again, harrison cant get the ball more if the offense never stays on the field, DA throws more passes towards the defense, and what passes he throws on target are usually to K2. even if he's not open.

-these penalties need to stop, now!

i'll add to this later when i get home from work. i got a bunch more

just adding to my mornings post...

-if wimbley continues to be invisible, OLB becomes a need again. he doesn't even have a TFL yet.

-i dont think Crennel did to much wrong in this game. Tucker is learning on the fly, i love how he puts the safeties in the box more. it would be more effective with a run stopping sean jones. Chud must hate harrison and jamal. he immediately gave up on the run starting the second half. you dont win games that way, unless your name is greise.

-Quinn is gettin more reps in practice this week.

-i'm very close to joining the Quinn chants after watchin so many passes get batted down. seriously, one play, the rat birds blitzed three. THREE!. and the pass was batted.

-i dont even know what else to say. i hated watching that game.

Cribbs>Hester
09-23-2008, 05:45 AM
Get real guys. You know just as well as I do if Derek Anderson won that coin toss he would have been the opening day starter as well simply because Romeo Crennel doesn't have the backbone to make changes.

Quit backing this overweight, fat, lazy, no heart and pathetic excuse of a leader. Cleveland will never win a championship in 1000 years with this lard at the helm.

Isn't he the oldest headcoach in the league anyway? Not that it has anything to do with it, but with his weight and age at least we can always hope for a medical problem where he has to take a leave to get it treated.

Cribbs>Hester
09-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Romeo Crennel once again proved why he is such a worthless tool. Althought I agree with the decision to start Derek Anderson over Brady Quinn this week the way Romeo refuses to give any reason as to why is pathetic because he simply doesn't ever have a reason. He can't make decisions. He's a worthless brain dead bafoon who is just a tool. A panel of Browns front office made this decision because Romeo doesn't know how, so it's time that front office stepped up and replaced the man with a real head coach that has balls and brains unlike this fat gutless chump.

Iamcanadian
09-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Romeo Crennel once again proved why he is such a worthless tool. Althought I agree with the decision to start Derek Anderson over Brady Quinn this week the way Romeo refuses to give any reason as to why is pathetic because he simply doesn't ever have a reason. He can't make decisions. He's a worthless brain dead bafoon who is just a tool. A panel of Browns front office made this decision because Romeo doesn't know how, so it's time that front office stepped up and replaced the man with a real head coach that has balls and brains unlike this fat gutless chump.

You know if you could get off your ridiculous assessment of our coaches, people might actually take you seriously.
You haven't a clue about how our front office works or how good/bad a HC Crennel is. You don't win 10 games in the NFL if you cannot coach and with our defensive personnel, 10 wins was a real surprise to me and indicates that Crennel gets the most out of our personnel.
Your clamoring for miracles all the time is just stupid. We are not a complete football team as our defense certainly isn't complete and our schedule is brutal this season and so far a number of players are not having good seasons and we have minimal depth to replace starters who are injured. Sure Crennel may have to go if he cannot turn the team around and start winning a few games but he is a far cry from your ridiculous description. Your not reaching anybody when you cannot get beyond calling people names instead of critiquing their bad decisions.
I can tell that you have never coached in any type of league because otherwise you'd know that sometimes you have to stick with a player through hard times so when he comes out of it, he will be a lot tougher the next time something goes badly. That's how you build a player's confidence, if you just yank players every time they play badly, they will never develop into solid starters who have confidence in how they play. But you wouldn't understand that since you obviously think your right about everything.

Cribbs>Hester
09-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Most out of his players? That is such hog wash. There is more talent on this team than they have shown for the last 4 years, yes even last year winning 10 games. A legit coach would have won more with that pathetic schedule. We have guys who can play that are not even seeing enough reps because he has his favorites.

His idea's are about a joke too. He says he's not blitzing to protect his young corners? Are you kidding me. The best protection they could ever have is a blitz. He's so worried about them getting beat deep he just lets them get destroyed underneath for 5-12 yards everytime.

He sounds like someone who rides the short bus anytime a reporter has an intellegent question. He gets all flusters and says well ya see then his fat lips mumble all over each other and he can never come up with a legit answer. He answers with a lower level of intellegence than the few local high school coaches I get to interview.

My view on Romeo Crennel has nothing to do with why people don't take me seriously. I talk plenty of football with plenty of football guys who know more about the sport than anyone on this board will ever know. People on this board don't take me seriously because I use this board as a place to vent. Ever dumb play, play call, transaction, interview, and anything else that annoys me about the Browns I get it out here. I can't do it where I work because its unprofessional, and although I'm sure some of the people I would with would get a kick out of it I would lose credibility. I can't take it out by yelling at the television like a lot of fans do because I have 2 little kids who are going to hear me. I have to do the mature thing there so they don't think its the right thing to do, and I leave the immature thing(ranting about it) for here where I don't care what anyone thinks. Everyone is intitled to some form of uncensored, no guidelines, get it all out venting and this message board is my place. Heck take out my name calling and cursing and you have Bruce Drennen who has a much better job than me and I'm sure off the air he's done his share of cusing and name calling.

keylime_5
09-25-2008, 10:40 PM
good ole bruce drennen. He's not in jail anymore is he?

Cribbs>Hester
09-25-2008, 10:48 PM
good ole bruce drennen. He's not in jail anymore is he?

Obviously not being that he has his own sports talk show. I don't know if you're trying to say anything because you seem pretty nice compared to that other guy, but not paying taxes and venting on a message board really don't go hand in hand. I'm pretty sure I'm safe with the law.

keylime_5
09-26-2008, 10:29 PM
yea i was just joking around. Don't get to see too much bruce drennen in south carolina except when I get the MLB extra innings free preview on directv the first couple weeks of baseball season when I watch the indians games broadcasted on STO.

keylime_5
09-28-2008, 04:11 PM
good news: we won
bad news: we suck. anderson sucks.

Cribbs>Hester
09-28-2008, 09:54 PM
good news: we won
bad news: we suck. anderson sucks.

even worse news: we plaed like garbage beating a garbage team with its backup QB and that is going to allow Anderson and Crennel to keep their jobs.

Ruken
09-29-2008, 12:26 AM
Give DA a break ok yea he has played absolutley terrible but the rest of the team has done nothing to help him. We won a game and now have a bye its a good time to get healthy and ready to go. Im hoping DA gets back on track I guess we'll see in two mondays

BengalMedic
09-29-2008, 07:32 AM
You know, I would love to come over here and say, "Great Game", but it wasn't. It was a pathetic showing by Ohio's two NFL teams. At least you guys won, but if we came out on top, I wouldn't be any more happy about it than I was going into the game due to the way these teams played yesterday.

Good luck the rest of the way and we will see you guys in Cleveland. Hopefully one of these teams can figure out what the hell they are doing...

keylime_5
09-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Give DA a break ok yea he has played absolutley terrible but the rest of the team has done nothing to help him. We won a game and now have a bye its a good time to get healthy and ready to go. Im hoping DA gets back on track I guess we'll see in two mondays

it's not all on DA, the WRs have been not too good and the offensive line is not as good as last year for a couple reasons...mostly injuries but they aren't being physical enough and Fraley is getting to be too far over the hill. If the rest of the offense would step up it would help a lot but Anderson is making bad decisions, bad reads, and his deficiencies in the short passing game are getting worse and not better. I think he can turn it around, but the remaining schedule won't help that.

Iamcanadian
09-30-2008, 11:06 PM
I like to think positive. We weren't a serious playoff team and winning 7 or 8 games wasn't going to be much help in the draft. We now stand an excellent chance to get a real impact player for our defense which should pay off come next season.

BengalMedic
10-01-2008, 06:54 AM
I like to think positive. We weren't a serious playoff team and winning 7 or 8 games wasn't going to be much help in the draft. We now stand an excellent chance to get a real impact player for our defense which should pay off come next season.

Funny, you are the ONLY Browns fans I have seen to make that comment. Most were thinking the Browns would be right there with the Steelers.

kalbears13
10-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Funny, you are the ONLY Browns fans I have seen to make that comment. Most were thinking the Browns would be right there with the Steelers.

C>H probably thinks the same thing.

I had a dream that Brady Quinn was starting the next game.

Cribbs>Hester
10-01-2008, 09:37 PM
C>H probably thinks the same thing.

I had a dream that Brady Quinn was starting the next game.

Well I did actually think we were a playoff team, but only because I think Pittsburgh is overrated. They get every break in the book. I counted on us being an 8-8 team and beating Pittsburgh for the Division...only reason a playoff team. But yes I was saying 6-8 wins this year, not the 10-12 like everyone else.

I took soo many neg rep hits for that too. Well I'm the one laughing now because I'd rather be right than have gobs of rep.

keylime_5
10-02-2008, 10:31 PM
If our offense wasn't so terrible to start this year we probably would've been a playoff team, but now I don't think we'll win more than 5 or 6. Bad formula to start the season on offense: Stallworth and Jurevicius out, injuries on the offensive line, Anderson making mistakes he didn't even make last year when he played poorly, etc. We are a set of linebackers away on defense I think though.

j05son
10-03-2008, 02:58 AM
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2008&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

top 10 defense guys............

JSimmsy21
10-03-2008, 08:40 PM
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2008&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

top 10 defense guys............

it'd be better if our O didnt blow.

keylime_5
10-03-2008, 09:08 PM
we're a good set of linebackers away from that ranking not being a fluke. We're close, but the offensive setbacks don't help.

BrownsTown
10-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Good set of linebackers = another outside rush guy? Andra Davis, Leon, D'Qwell isn't amazing but it's good. Then Kamerion is good and Alex...is a 7th round pick playing well but I wouldn't bank on him becoming a mainstay.

JSimmsy21
10-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Good set of linebackers = another outside rush guy? Andra Davis, Leon, D'Qwell isn't amazing but it's good. Then Kamerion is good and Alex...is a 7th round pick playing well but I wouldn't bank on him becoming a mainstay.

outside rushers in a 3-4 cant do anything if the NT and MLB's don't get a push, and right now only Rogers is doing anything. Jackson knows where the play is going, but he cannot get off blockers. Davis is slow. Williams is the most aggressive and the best at getting of blockers. good in coverage, but inconsistent.

i honestly think williams will be the best as he gains more experience. jackson just doesnt fit our system. and davis....well...we all know. he's good spot duty, but shouldn't be a starter.

its really hard to gage wimbley. his outside move really does work, almost every time. but 2 things have to happen.
(1) the secondary needs to cover better, longer.
(2) there needs to be more push in the middle.
Hall is promising. thats all. but he's shown a good burst, outside and bull rush move. especially for someone being as "lanky" as he is. should only get better with experience and 10-15 lbs. muscle.

we sorely need a ray lewis/james farrior type player. this upcoming draft thus far my draft board so far goes
1.Rey Mauluga
2.Tyson Jackson
3. Benie Wells

that is not considering what number draft pick and who all might declare.

keylime_5
10-05-2008, 12:34 PM

good set of LBs = two good ILBs and 2 good OLBs. Hall/Wimbley should be the weakside tandem not the starting left and right outside linebackers. No pass rush. We should have Wimbley on one side and a guy who can get 10 sacks on the other and Hall as the backup. Beau Bell might be one of the answers at ILB, but we need a difference maker and someone who can blitz up the middle at the other spot. Our defense would be pretty good if we had Dallas' linebackers.

kalbears13
10-05-2008, 06:48 PM
good set of LBs = two good ILBs and 2 good OLBs. Hall/Wimbley should be the weakside tandem not the starting left and right outside linebackers. No pass rush. We should have Wimbley on one side and a guy who can get 10 sacks on the other and Hall as the backup. Beau Bell might be one of the answers at ILB, but we need a difference maker and someone who can blitz up the middle at the other spot. Our defense would be pretty good if we had Dallas' linebackers.

When do Beau Bell and Martin Rucker get back from their injuries?

keylime_5
10-05-2008, 10:12 PM
I think they're practicing now, they should be back sometime soon. The missed time will hurt more than anything, it doesn't seem like they'll be a big part of the offense/defense until towards the end of the season at least. I wish we'd at least get Bell in there on defense asap, we need to see what he can do right now for next year's evaluations of the roster.

HUGH!
10-05-2008, 10:36 PM
browns monday night game next. I am so excited.