PDA

View Full Version : 3 TE Set

no love
11-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Teams routinely use a 2-TE set in the NFL. I was just wondering how effective you all think a base 3-TE set could be in the NFL with a couple of athletic TE's. Basically this is you jumbo package with a FB who doubles as an H-Back and can go on the line or with TEs who can split out wide.

Teams like the Colts, Redskins, 49ers, Bears, Patriots have multiple weapons at the TE position and will regularly employ two-TE sets to neutralize the possible of two-edge rushers or creating an extra gap for running at vs. the 3-4.

I have seen the Patriots use this to some success. I guess the principal is prettyt players who demand a lower salary cap number than elite WR's and are more ve simple, multiple TE sets give you the best opportunities to utilize players who can protect, block and catch. It gives you a lot of different ways to set your protection and bigger guys to block better in the run game. Not to mention TE's are the cheapesrsatile than your basic FB's.

I guess my question is whether it could be effective as a base package with a specific type of personnel say a really athletic TE such Vernon Davis, Greg Olsen, Ben Watson, etc. I don't see it enough to really know how well it works out on a consistent basis. Could a defense like the cover-2 just sit down on routes and make things really hard for the qb?

Moses
11-02-2007, 05:58 PM
With a 3 TE set, the defence would stack the box. One of the corners would shift in and a safety would likely creep into the box as well. Generally, you'd be better off going with 2 tight ends because most teams don't have 3 TEs worth having on the field.

Jakey
11-02-2007, 06:11 PM
See the Steelers...they've been doing it all year. Especially in the Red Zone, and the TE's have caught 8 touchdowns already. I'd say it works pretty well, when you've got guys 6'4", 6'5" and 6'7" in the redzone-your gonna get some mismatches! I like it.

Man_Of_Steel
11-02-2007, 06:24 PM
See the Steelers...they've been doing it all year. Especially in the Red Zone, and the TE's have caught 8 touchdowns already. I'd say it works pretty well, when you've got guys 6'4", 6'5" and 6'7" in the redzone-your gonna get some mismatches! I like it.

Yea its been working great thus far.

niel89
11-02-2007, 08:36 PM
the pats ran a lot of 3 TE last year. They had really good TEs but poor quality recievers.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-02-2007, 10:42 PM
... XOO[]OOX ....
.. O X Q O

Something like this formation? It all depends on how your creative with the formation... Depends on the defensive philosophy, and what how they play.. Factor in personnel, and this thing can get interesting..

Damn not aligning correctly..

Freddy G
11-03-2007, 09:46 AM
The Browns will line up with K2 and Heiden, then motion Vickers next to (but off the LOS) Heiden and put K2 in the slot next to Edwards.

I like it, but i couldn't give you any concrete stats on it success.

Anyway, i like the 3 TE sets in the redzone like Pitt does....just to many mismatches for the run stopping team. However, we have 6'3 Edwards, 6'5Jerivicious, and 6'4 K2 already, so we really don't need to do that.

bigbluedefense
11-03-2007, 02:22 PM
the 3 TE set is great at the goaline where you want big possession guys to get the ball in the endzone, but it won't work as a base offense.

Theres not enough speed to stretch the field out of that set, bringing 3 TEs will just have defenses jam the box and make it harder for the RB to find lanes to run through.

Again, it works great in shortyardage/goalline situations, but as a base defense, I just don't see it.

Also with 3 TEs, thats too much traffic in the middle of the field. The 2TE set is the best of both worlds.

ATLDirtyBirds
11-03-2007, 04:30 PM
If your TE's are K2, Veron Davis and Antonio Gates.

Mr. Stiller
11-03-2007, 09:04 PM
We've been running it on 2nd and short, and Goalline situations.

The Last 2 years:

Heath Miller avg's over the past 2 years.

36.5 Receptions, 426 yards, 5.5Td's 11.7 YPCavg.

Jerame Tuman over the last 2 years.

5 receptions, 65 yards, .5 Td's.

TE Avgs last 2 years:

41.5 Receptions, 491 yards, 6 TDS

This year:

Heath Miller: 7 games, 24 receptions, 333 yards, 4 tds 13.9 ypc avg
Matt Spaeth: 4 games, 4 receptions, 28 yards, 3 Tds, 7.0 Ypc avg
Jerame Tuman: 4 games, 1 receptions, 9 yards, 1 Tds, 9.0 Ypc avg

Total: 29 receptions, 470 yards, 8 Tds

With 9 games to go, I'd say we utilized the TE position quite a bit more..