shawn
11-03-2007, 03:47 PM
akili smith or dennis dixon

who was the better college qb, ignore smith's nfl career

Turtlepower
11-03-2007, 03:51 PM
akili smith or dennis dixon

who was the better college qb, ignore smith's nfl career

Easily Akili Smith. One of them was the #1 overall pick in the draft while another will be a 3rd round pick, at best.

TB_39
11-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Wasn't Akili the 3rd overall? But I may be wrong.

keylime_5
11-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Akili was 3rd overall to Cincy. McNabb was 2nd overall and couch was #1 overall. But Akili Smith was 2nd on Cleveland's draft board behind Couch.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
11-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Easily Akili Smith. One of them was the #1 overall pick in the draft while another will be a 3rd round pick, at best.

I think Dixon will be picked in the 2nd. And Smith wasn't the #1 overall.

shawn
11-04-2007, 10:01 AM
here is the main reason why i asked, there numbers are very close and i think dixon has turned the ball over less then smith.

so what makes smith a top 5 pick and dixon a late 2nd early 3rd rounder? what did smith have that dixon doesnt

Iamcanadian
11-04-2007, 10:13 AM
here is the main reason why i asked, there numbers are very close and i think dixon has turned the ball over less then smith.

so what makes smith a top 5 pick and dixon a late 2nd early 3rd rounder? what did smith have that dixon doesnt

He had a stroger arm and a very poor Cincy scouting department, one of the worst in the NFL selecting him. Dixon, depending on his arm strength and committment to pro football could still sneak into round 1.

sweetd20
11-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Except for a few teams and in those special types of QBs teams aren't being sold as much on the amazing athlete with potential at the QB position. The amount of money these kids sign for in the 1st round especially Top 10 is too much to risk. It's also hard to compare the two because Dixon is in a more wide open offense that gives him more room to make plays. But with that said I'd go with Dixon over Smith. He just has shown much better pocket awareness and game management skills than Smith.

Smith was the guy that was loaded with potential but if you sat and watched him he had a lot of work to do as far as having the ability to QB a NFL team. Dixon isn't a can't miss guy but if brought along for a few years he could be a solid NFL QB. When I see Dixon a thinner Randall Cunningham comes to mind. He doesn't have the arm that Cunningham had but everything else just reminds me of him. He has some of the Cunningham wiggle and outruns people eventhough when you watch him he doesn't look like he's running that fast.

BaLLiN
11-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Smith, but if Dixon had blossomed earlier in his career and actually had an elite WR then maybe it would be closer

duckseason
11-05-2007, 06:41 PM
I'll just say that I've never seen better play from the QB position since I've been watching Oregon football. That includes Joey Harrington and Kellen Clemens. He is the perfect fit for the offense we're running right now, and I don't think people realize that his numbers really aren't indicative of just how good he's been. His numbers are nearly flawless, but he's left a lot on the table with drops and injured/suspended WR's. He doesn't make mistakes, his mobility is deadly, and his pass accuracy has been on point all season.

Akili was very impressive as well, but he made far more mistakes than Dixon has this year, and he wasn't quite as good a threat on the ground. Akili had a cannon and was very tough to bring down, but Dixon is the better overall QB, imo.

I just hope we can retain Chip Kelly for the long haul and promote him to HC when the time is right. He deserves a ton of credit for our turnaround on offense and Dixon's success. Between he and Aliotti, I'm not sure there is a better OC/DC combination anywhere in the nation right now. This team has been decimated by injuries, yet we keep winning in convincing fashion against top competition.