PDA

View Full Version : How in McFadden in between the tackles?

d34ng3l021
11-03-2007, 11:07 PM
I know McFadden is very fast, but I am wondering how well he does between the tackles and running through arm tackles. Does he do alot of bouncing out to use his speed to his advantage or does he actually go through the middle and break arm tackles and such?

jballa838
11-03-2007, 11:09 PM
think Reggie Bush between the tackles.
he slashes a lot from what i've seen

cowboysforever
11-03-2007, 11:11 PM
He has more pop than Bush when he hits the pile. I think he is a much better RB prospect than Bush. But what do I know.

mchesnu
11-03-2007, 11:20 PM
think Reggie Bush between the tackles.
he slashes a lot from what i've seen

Disagree 100%. You won't stop him with arm tackles. He will lay a lick on you. In the wildcat/wildhot/whatever, he pretty much exclusively runs in between the tackles.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1FCfZoPGEFA

On this youtube clip, in the first and third run of the clip (probably his most famous runs), they are both between the tackles. Granted the second one is kind of a stretch play, yet it's still between the tackles.

jballa838
11-03-2007, 11:32 PM
Disagree 100%. You won't stop him with arm tackles. He will lay a lick on you. In the wildcat/wildhot/whatever, he pretty much exclusively runs in between the tackles.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1FCfZoPGEFA

On this youtube clip, in the first and third run of the clip (probably his most famous runs), they are both between the tackles. Granted the second one is kind of a stretch play, yet it's still between the tackles.
i havent seen much of him this season, but i'll take it.
but truthfully i could make a highlight tape of my little brother and make him look amazing.

mchesnu
11-03-2007, 11:35 PM
i havent seen much of him this season, but i'll take it.
but truthfully i could make a highlight tape of my little brother and make him look amazing.

I understand. Was merely trying to provide visual evidence, as opposed to empty rhetoric.

jballa838
11-03-2007, 11:40 PM
I understand. Was merely trying to provide visual evidence, as opposed to empty rhetoric.
thats is also true. it does showcase his physicalness, which is where he has an edge on bush.
I'll give bush the edge at Receiving, shiftyness, and Returning.
I'll give McFadden the edge between the tackles, breaking tackles, throwing, and being physical.
its a toss up based on your line and personell on who would go first if drafted now.
A team with a good reciving core would take McFadden, and a team in dire need of offense would take bush because he does more.

etk
11-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Give him any kind of a seam up the middle and he's gone for 30+. DMac will break arm tackles all day, you have to get him square.

BroadwayJoe10
11-04-2007, 01:13 AM
Give him any kind of a seam up the middle and he's gone for 30+. DMac will break arm tackles all day, you have to get him square.

and i've seen guys "get him square" before, only to have him make the slightest of moves so that their "hit em square" becomes an arm tackle, which Dmac breaks and then goes for 30+.

Now i want to be clear on this, I am definately NOT, i repeat NOT, saying he is the next barry sanders or saying he has had a better year (in my opinion barry sanders had the single greatest season in college football history, but that is a different argument altogether); the point I want to make is that like sanders, and many elite backs with a history of longetivty, he makes people miss ever so slightly to avoid the full brunt of the tackle. I am not saying he shies away from contact, because he can definately lower his shoulder and lay a hit. But, in order to reduce the amount of beating your body takes you have to have that shiftiness that makes tacklers barely get you. I just used barry as an example, because he was the master at it. Everytime i watched him play and it seemed as if he was gonna get drilled, he completely froze the would be tackler who wound up just tackling him at an angle, and thus reducing the pounding he sustained through his 10 amazing years.

edit: i just realized it went from a 'talking about dmac post' to a 'i have a guy crush on barry sanders post.' Although i am sure my sentiment towards barry is shared by most on here, or atleast should be.

M.O.T.H.
11-04-2007, 01:24 AM
wrong thread....

D-Unit
11-04-2007, 01:47 AM
The best in-between the tackle RB in the draft is Johnathan Stewart.

The best game breaking RB in the draft is DMAC.

no love
11-04-2007, 04:54 AM
Yah Stewart is a bruiser alright, but he going to have to learn how to not try an dish out hits like he is currently doing. Also he has to stop jumping...every game the guy tries to hurdle people like he is Brian Leonard or something, it's not pretty.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-04-2007, 08:34 AM
He's kinda a mix between Peterson and Bush, still inside the tackles he's decent but needs a head of steam going, I wouldn't use him as a goal line back if I had better options.

keylime_5
11-04-2007, 08:50 AM
McFadden runs behind his pads well. He'll be a decent between the tackles runner in the pros, but his money will be made outside the tackles, on draws, and on slash plays up the middle when there's a hole. The kid's got some wheels. Felix Jones was almost equally as impressive last night to me. I think Jones averaged about 15 ypc with 3 TDs.

Babylon
11-04-2007, 11:25 AM
So who goes first Stewart or DM? I liken Stewart a little to an Emmit Smith as far as strength and being able to run north and south, the pro game is more geared to that than runnning wide. Dont have a problem with either going first and expect both will be taken in the top half of round 1.

Flyboy
11-04-2007, 11:28 AM
So who goes first Stewart or DM?

All signs point to D-Mac.

Solomon
11-04-2007, 11:57 AM
All signs point to D-Mac.

I think that after the combine it will be very close to call. Stewart's blend of size/speed and power is reminiscent of Jamal Lewis.

bearsfan_51
11-04-2007, 12:04 PM
That's crazy talk. Stewart has done a lot to increase his stock, but he's still behind McFadden. McFadden is a mortal lock for the top 5, and should be a top 3 pick.

Saints-Tigers
11-04-2007, 12:56 PM
D-Mac will be fine, he's more than strong enough to break tackles in the NFL.

I also disagree about not using him as a goal line back.

Size=/=Goal line ability

Reggie Bush is a terrific goal line back, because he has a great nose for getting into the endzone, I'd expect McFadden to be as good as Bush around the endzone, at the very least.

No chance Stewart goes ahead of McFadden, unless there is some ridiculous injury, and it still may not happen. To much upside.

Babylon
11-04-2007, 01:38 PM
D-Mac will be fine, he's more than strong enough to break tackles in the NFL.

I also disagree about not using him as a goal line back.

Size=/=Goal line ability

Reggie Bush is a terrific goal line back, because he has a great nose for getting into the endzone, I'd expect McFadden to be as good as Bush around the endzone, at the very least.

No chance Stewart goes ahead of McFadden, unless there is some ridiculous injury, and it still may not happen. To much upside.

All i'm saying is if Stewart is Emmett Smith and McFadden is anything less it brings up the question.....

Geo
11-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Quite honestly, I find myself a bit lukewarm about McFadden as an elite prospect. He's an outstanding college player in an offense that's perfect for him. I've talked about how I wouldn't consider the QB prospects as elite, being stingy with the title ... right now, I'm not entirely sure I would label McFadden elite. I loved Bush coming out last year and absolutely loved AD this past April, and I like some things about McFadden, but I find myself just not completely sold for whatever reason. Still, he's a great player/prospect and the top runningback prospect in this Draft.

A Perfect Score
11-04-2007, 09:45 PM
i still dont see how people have him on the same level as reggie bush or adrian peterson...as far as im concerned, peterson is the best natural runner ive ever seen and bush was by far one of the most impressive college players ever, he had 500 yards of total offense in one game! thats ridiculous. Dmac, to me at least, doesnt have the same kind of ability that those two possess. Will he be a top 3 pick, yes, will he be a good NFL back, yes, but for some reason im still iffy on him in general

BuddyCHRIST
11-04-2007, 10:22 PM
I don't see how people doubt that McFadden is just as good as Peterson as a prospect. I think he'll be just as good in the pro's personally, he is absolutely flat out dominant and looks like he's playing with little kids out there, much the way Peterson did in college. And he's doing it against much tougher defenses with a worse O-Line and absolutely no passing game to take the pressure of him. Not to mention, outside of the Auburn game this year, he's been at his best against the best teams. He hits the hole with just as much nastiness and authority as anybody I've seen. I wouldn't doubt his inside running at all because he is always carrying tacklers. The whole McFadden/Stewart comparison even being a discussion seems a bit ridiculous imo, much the way the Lynch/Peterson talk looks foolish now.

PACKmanN
11-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Stewart reminds me of a quicker Frank Gore. After the season Oregon is having how high did Stewart raise his stock? top 10 to Houston?

thule
11-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Stewart hasn't locked anything...he is still playing in a spread offense. If he posts his 4.4 40 that people claim then we can start talking about him in the top of the first round. But right now he is a boarderline first rounder...hell he isn't even the second best back in this draft right now...Mendenhall/Slaton/Smith/Jones all have the ability depending on offseason workouts to test out higher than Stewart. All this top 10 talk is a little premature imo.

fenikz
11-04-2007, 10:43 PM
McFadden reminds me of Addai just more versitile

TankDogg
11-06-2007, 02:00 PM
McFadden is just as good as Adrian Peterson was in College and is more durable. He also has faced some very tough defenses. I mean what runningback breaks an 80 yard touchdown run against an LSU defense that had Glenn Dorsey and Laron Landry? This kid is special.

theogt
11-06-2007, 02:09 PM
McFadden reminds me of Addai just more versitileOh, and a completely different body style and running style.

BuddyCHRIST
11-06-2007, 04:04 PM
McFadden and Addai run so different its not even funny. That's like saying Vince Young and Byron Leftwich have similar releases.