PDA

View Full Version : Jamaal Charles stock

Solomon
11-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Where do people see Charles going if he comes out this year or should he stay in school another year? He started the season strong but hit a rut mid season, he's been fantastic over the last 2 games though and if he finishes the year strong I could see him possibly coming out. He's got decent size and should be one of the fastest players in the draft...

Cashmoney
11-04-2007, 04:16 PM
possibly the third or fourth best back if he comes out.

wakefan31
11-04-2007, 05:30 PM
I remember reading on another draft site, I think it was Draft Headquarters, that he was really thinking about coming out.

After his last two games, I don't see how his stock could be any higher?

Smokey Joe
11-04-2007, 05:35 PM
This RB Draft class could be one of the best ever if McFadden, Stewart, Jones, Slaton, Charles, Davis, Rice, Mendenhall, Smith, etc. all come out.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-04-2007, 06:32 PM
I have him just ranked slightly after Felix Jones to be honest, If I were a team like Denver, Indianapolis, Houston I'd take him in the 2nd.

NYGibril28
11-04-2007, 08:41 PM
3rd behind Run DMC and Stewart in my eyes.

Geo
11-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Speed isn't a concern obviously, but I still think he has a good deal of room to improve as a (complete) back. At least, as a runner, he can work on being more consistent by continuing to play well past the stellar two weeks he's had.

I have him just ranked slightly after Felix Jones to be honest, If I were a team like Denver, Indianapolis, Houston I'd take him in the 2nd.
I'd take him from the Colts perspective, on the hopes of molding him for the better while harnessing that natural speed. Speed which could be killer in the offense.

FinNasty
11-04-2007, 09:20 PM
I'm kinda skeptical about him. The games I've seen of him (including the one in person against UCF)... he is fast as hell. However, I'm not so sure he will translate as well to the NFL as some of the other RBs in the draft class. His speed wont be as much of a factor on the next level... and I havent seen much else out of him other than his speed.

D-Fence
11-04-2007, 10:24 PM
As a Texas fan, I think he needs another year...He's still got a TON of work to do running between the tackles...I don't see him in the 1st round this year, but think he'd be a lock next season if he stayed.

keylime_5
11-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Would love to have him, but I see him as more of a complimentary runner and not a primary every down back. He's more like what Bush, Dunn, and Westbrook are (though a little bit bigger than those guys), as opposed to what LT, AD, and Joseph Addai are.

DWilliams2IndyColts
11-06-2007, 02:31 PM
I say The Closer goes mid-late 2nd.

no love
11-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Would love to have him, but I see him as more of a complimentary runner and not a primary every down back. He's more like what Bush, Dunn, and Westbrook are (though a little bit bigger than those guys), as opposed to what LT, AD, and Joseph Addai are.

Are you saying that Dunn and Westbrook aren't every down/primary backs?

Both of those guys have gotten it done at every aspect of the game - inside, outside, and through the air. These guys are both like Tiki Barber (also came into the league as a complimentary 3rd down back) and have carved out VERY NICE careers.

And Jamaal Charles is not utilized as a receiver at all compared to those smaller guys you mentioned. So I don't quite get the comparison unless you are comparing only size, because then that makes a little bit more sense.

LonghornsLegend
11-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Seeing almost all of his games, he definately needs another year in college and I highly doubt he leaves after this season...Before vince left early it didnt happen too often at UT, ricky and benson both stayed 4 years and both were more NFL ready after 3 years...Charles still fumbles way too much right now, and needs another year to hit the weights and bulk up, especially if he wants to run in between the tackles without getting killed, one tackle by Haynesworth would end his career at the size he is at right now...

On that note, if he ends up going to a team with a zone blocking scheme like Houston, Atlanta, or Denver he will excell alot more and has a chance to use his speed and vision, he would also be perfect in Tennessee running that shotgun read with Vince, not sure how well he works out of the I formation all game though...but I really dont think he leaves early

evershot
11-07-2007, 02:09 AM
He reminds me of Michael Bennett, when he came out of college, great speed, but so far that's all he has shown.

P-L
11-07-2007, 06:53 AM
I think he's a bit overrated as a pro prospect. He would be foolish to come out this year. Then again, with he speed he could get drafted higher than he should.

Addict
11-07-2007, 07:24 AM
Lions will draft him in round one and move him to WR

MaxV
11-07-2007, 08:39 AM
I too would like the Colts to look at Charles if he comes out.

He reminds me of Leon Washington, with more power perhaps.

Gchu83
11-14-2007, 07:25 PM
He's ran for 644 yards and 7 TDs the past 2.5 games. I think this is what all UT fans have been expecting since he stepped on the 40 acres. If he didn't have that 5 game span where he didn't carry the ball a whole lot, he'd be real close 2000 yards for the season.

EvilMonkey
11-15-2007, 04:01 AM
as others have said, he just isnt ready right now. It is a different situation than Benson and Williams who both already had a ton of carries and didnt really need to stay. Charles has had a lot of carries but not the type of pounding carries as the other 2 and is no where near developed running in between the tackles.

I disagree with the poster who said his speed wont be a factor on the next level. His speed is real and if he gets in the open field he has good moves and will definately be a threat for the big run, he just has to get to the 2nd level and I dont think he'll be able to do that in the NFL quite yet mainly because of the issue of running in between the tackles.

That being said, if he does come out and get taken by a ZBS team, he could definately succeed right away. If Selvin Young can look as good as he has so far in Denver, it scares me what Charles could do in that offense.

Gchu83
11-15-2007, 10:49 AM
Jamaal announced yesterday that he'll be coming back next season.

bored of education
11-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Well next year he will be a 1st day pick, really going out on a limb!

Geo
11-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Jamaal announced yesterday that he'll be coming back next season.
Smart move. Hopefully he puts the work and study in to better his craft, as a complete back.

Charles reminds me of Clinton Portis some, a tad lighter back coming out of college with natural speed. Of course, Portis has developed into one of the best all-purpose backs in the league, well versed as a receiver and as a blocker even more so. Whereas another similar speedy back Denver drafted, Tatum Bell, hasn't developed as much.

From what I've seen of Charles, he definitely needs to work on his receiving game, in terms of realzing how to run routes as well as catching the ball. And as a pass protector, well, every back coming out of college can improve in that area.

LonghornsLegend
11-15-2007, 02:45 PM
I expected it, he really needs the extra year, he is so incredible in the open field, but id like to see him catch some more passes and get involved in the receiving game just to see a more complete game from him...

Im not sure on how well he would play in the NFL out of the I-formation all game or with a fullback, not a ZBS, but with his speed he can be a homerun threat any time he touches the ball...Like someone said, when you see how well Selvin Young is doing with Denver, its scary to imagine Charles in a system like that with alot better lateral and straight away speed