PDA

View Full Version : which LBs will slip??

Big_Pete
11-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Assuming that Larenaitis, Melualuga and Gholston declare, there are a alot of linebackers with the talent to be first round picks.

These guys are all likely good enough to be first round prospects, who do you think will actually be picked in the first round?

LB:

James Laurenaitis
Rey Melualuga
Dan Connor
Keith Rivers
Philip Wheeler
Ali Highsmith

3-4 OLBs:

Quentin Groves
Derrick Harvey
Shawn Crable
Vernon Gholston

Babylon
11-04-2007, 02:00 PM
1st round guys i would take would be;

James Lauranitis (ilb)
Dan Connor (ilb)
Brian Cushing (ilb/olb)
Keith Rivers (olb)
Shawn Crable (olb/de)

Team need would probably dictate which order these guys would go in.

foozball
11-04-2007, 03:20 PM
tavares gooden

perfect size and runs 4.55 and has shown he can be productive, but he's had injury problems in the past. probably a 2nd round talent that may go in the 3rd or possibly the 4th.

Big_Pete
11-04-2007, 04:31 PM
What about Sean Lee if he chose to declare??

Babylon
11-04-2007, 04:43 PM

Dont think he will declare, they wait their turn to be the main man there. If he did i think the best he could hope for is the 2nd round, just too many guys to jump over.

underscore
11-07-2007, 04:00 PM

He's already said he's returning.

toonsterwu
11-07-2007, 04:42 PM
A lot will "slip" because of the nature of the position in the draft. To be honest, I'm not sure I see an elite talent here. I figure maybe 1 or 2 LB's at best go before the bottom third of the first round, and probably in the teens at earliest.

Billingsley26
11-07-2007, 05:03 PM
For some reason I see Dan Connor slipping. This day and age people are so caught up with being flashy and out of the ordinary. Yet a guy like Connor who is probably the best LB technique-wise and the soundest LB in the draft, wont be the top pick. Just like Posluszny was last year.

P-L
11-07-2007, 06:11 PM
I agree that Dan Connor is going to slip. I'd be pretty surprised if he gets picked in the top 20 and think he's going to fall out of the 1st Round entirely.

11-07-2007, 06:16 PM
For some reason I see Dan Connor slipping. This day and age people are so caught up with being flashy and out of the ordinary. Yet a guy like Connor who is probably the best LB technique-wise and the soundest LB in the draft, wont be the top pick. Just like Posluszny was last year.

are you knocking patrick willis as the top selection at LB last year?? the draft is all about being out of the ordinary..its what separates average NFL players from great NFL players.

Race for the Heisman
11-07-2007, 07:01 PM
First round 'backers are three down 'backers, so I think Laurinaitis will be fine because he's shown himself to be good in coverage. Connor is, at least in my opinion, fine in coverage for the most part in my opinion. I haven't seen enough USC to really judge them this year. Needless to say triangle numbers will be important for seperation. For the rush guys, I think Gholston's ability to play the run will lock him up, and I'd probably have Groves as the second guy, although his performance in the coming weeks could hurt him if he struggles.

BamaFalcon59
11-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Vince Hall will be a steal for some team.

Babylon
11-07-2007, 07:11 PM
First round 'backers are three down 'backers, so I think Laurinaitis will be fine because he's shown himself to be good in coverage. Connor is, at least in my opinion, fine in coverage for the most part in my opinion. I haven't seen enough USC to really judge them this year. Needless to say triangle numbers will be important for seperation. For the rush guys, I think Gholston's ability to play the run will lock him up, and I'd probably have Groves as the second guy, although his performance in the coming weeks could hurt him if he struggles.

Good post, as for the USC guys Rivers is the only one that will be in the draft and its hard to say whether he can cover anyone because to me none of the trojans are good in coverage, but that may be their scheme there. Groves looks overrated to me.

Billingsley26
11-07-2007, 07:56 PM
are you knocking patrick willis as the top selection at LB last year?? the draft is all about being out of the ordinary..its what separates average NFL players from great NFL players.

Are you trying to compare Pos to Willis? Because at the point in which Pos was injured, he was outplaying just about every LB in the league. I dont care how athletic one person is, to play LB in the NFL and be successful you need a nack for football. Not saying Willis dosent have it, just not as good as Pos had it.

I agree that Dan Connor is going to slip. I'd be pretty surprised if he gets picked in the top 20 and think he's going to fall out of the 1st Round entirely.

And I think this is sad. Connor is the best pound-for-pound LB in the draft this year. Yet because of hype built up by some media or scouts, he will not be the top LB taken. And yea, Connor is very good in coverage. Probably the best LB this year in coverage skills.

HoopsDemon12
11-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Well im sure as most of you know i have a man crush on Dan Connor...

But ya he will probably slip out of the first round.. but some team is gonan get a hell of a great player when they take him..

PACKmanN
11-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Vince Hall will be a steal for some team.

He reminds me too much of Abdul Hodge. He not tall or quick to be a starter in the NFL.

BaLLiN
11-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Xavier Adibi and Vince Hall remind me of Prescott Burgess and David Harris for some reason

ironman4579
11-07-2007, 09:29 PM
Xavier Adibi and Vince Hall remind me of Prescott Burgess and David Harris for some reason

I don't know, just size wise, there's not much similiarity. Burgess is like 6-3, 240, and I think Harris is like 6-2, 243. Especially Adibi, who's listed as like 6-2, 218 or something by Scott. Hall's listed at 6-0, 238. That, and a guy like Adibi has actually been fairly productive and played up to his talent level, whereas Burgess really never played up to his potential at all IMO.

Borat
11-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Are you trying to compare Pos to Willis? Because at the point in which Pos was injured, he was outplaying just about every LB in the league. I dont care how athletic one person is, to play LB in the NFL and be successful you need a nack for football. Not saying Willis dosent have it, just not as good as Pos had it.

LMFAO (10)

Solomon
11-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Well im sure as most of you know i have a man crush on Dan Connor...

But ya he will probably slip out of the first round.. but some team is gonan get a hell of a great player when they take him..

I'm not sure why everyone in the thread keeps saying this. Pos didn't have great physical tools which is why he slipped despite being so solid. Connor on the other hand is expected to have better triangle numbers. He's more athletic, and should run a 4.6 40 or better. I don't think he'll fall out of the first unless something strange happens (personality problems, injury etc).

no love
11-08-2007, 12:00 AM

Well that is fine and dandy but Willis is outplaying most MLB's and its week 10. He leads the LEAGUE in tackles and has been one of the few bright spots on this team. Willis has drawn numerous comparisons to Ray Lewis, not because he is athletic as hell, but because he plays fundamentally sound and lays wood on every ball carrier he tackles.

Not to mention, Pos plays in the 4-3 with a team with much more talent on the D-Line is much better than who the Niners have.

Let compare stats through the first 3 games:

Willis: 26 tackles, 1 ff, 2 PD's - Not to mention injuring Bulger
Pos: 26 tackles

Billingsley26
11-08-2007, 12:58 AM
Well that is fine and dandy but Willis is outplaying most MLB's and its week 10. He leads the LEAGUE in tackles and has been one of the few bright spots on this team. Willis has drawn numerous comparisons to Ray Lewis, not because he is athletic as hell, but because he plays fundamentally sound and lays wood on every ball carrier he tackles.

Not to mention, Pos plays in the 4-3 with a team with much more talent on the D-Line is much better than who the Niners have.

Let compare stats through the first 3 games:

Willis: 26 tackles, 1 ff, 2 PD's - Not to mention injuring Bulger
Pos: 26 tackles

Its funny how everyone likes to ng on how bad Buffalo's DL is, yet when comparing Pos to someone else, in order to make them look better, they hype up Buffalo's DL. lol.

Willis had 26 tackles after 3 games. Pos had 22 tackles after 2 games, and had the next 4 in about 1 1/2 quarters, which is when he got hurt.

stephenson86
11-08-2007, 03:14 AM

it may also be because hes white...im white myself so please, no ban for racism

SuperKevin
11-08-2007, 03:17 AM

As a fellow Bills fan I have to tell you that you are crazy for thinking Paul Poz was playing as well as Patrick Willis was. Patrick Willis is a superior player to Paul Poz and while I love Poz in Buffalo, I would would be a lot happier with Patrick Willis.

Travis 24
11-08-2007, 07:21 AM

I'm sure thats what it is..every white player in the draft is considered less-athletic..lol

Solomon
11-08-2007, 09:57 AM

Being white didn't seem to affect AJ Hawk, David Pollack, Brian Urlacher, Keith Brooking etc...