PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Benson?

Smokey Joe
11-04-2007, 03:45 PM
What are your thoughts on Benson? On this one Bears message board I visit once in a while, according to them Benson is already a huge bust, but most of them are idiots on that board (for instance, some people want McFadden with our first pick and Dixon with our second), and they think Benson is the reason why our offense is so bad this season.

This topic hasn't been discussed much here however, and I'd like to hear the thoughts of some more well educated Bear fans.

Barbecue Bob
11-04-2007, 04:09 PM
I don't think the Bears should give up on him just yet, but this season has proved he does need a good O-line and QB in order to succeed. I think he can be great if you split up the carriers with another back, maybe one who can actually catch a ball. Just look at last year. He really thrived with Thomas Jones as his counterpart. Maybe if Peterson could get it together then all your problems could be solved.

dabears10
11-04-2007, 04:13 PM
While I'm not a more well educated bears Fan I think he will work real well in a two back system, but not a workhorse.

To be fair our line, imo, has not blocked well enough for many backs to do well this year. I think that Running Back is A need but not a primary need. We need O-line, Safety, QB more and is on the same level with linebacker(depending on briggs) and defensive tackle.

bearsfan_51
11-04-2007, 04:41 PM
I think untill he gets a good offensive line it's hard to judge him.

Is he special? No. But there are really only about 10 special backs in the NFL, so as long as he can not fumble and eat up yards he's worth keeping around.

bearfan
11-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Haha, the Bears board is funny. I do the same thing every once and a while.

But on Benson, right now he is looking like a bust just because he cant manage anything w/o an offensive line. I think to draft a player like that, you need to have one to begin with. But not only that, he doesnt play with any drive, he goes down on contact easy, not a great reciever, or blocker. I dont know even with a good offensive line that he would be any good just because he goes down so easily.

Would I be opposed to drafting DMC? no. I think the 2 back system would be good, but it would signal that Benson isnt who we thought that he was, and that he wont be around once his contract runs up unless he signs for less money.

I think priorities though would go somewhat in this order:
OL
QB/S
WR/RB

And I dont think that we need an OLB if Briggs ends up leaving. We have spent 2 3rd round draft picks on OLB in Okwo and Jamar Williams. I think we give them a shot before we give up on them.

VoteLynnSwan
11-04-2007, 09:40 PM
[Denny Green]HE WASN'T WHO WE THOUGHT HE WAS![/Denny Green]

bearsfan_51
11-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Don't get me wrong, if we had a chance to draft DMC I'd do it in a heartbeat and cut Benson's ass. Barring that, however, there really isn't a major upgrade available.

Barbecue Bob
11-04-2007, 09:48 PM

BUT WE TRADED AWAY THOMAS JONES SO THATS WHY HE'S ON THE DAMN FIELD!

bearfan
11-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Don't get me wrong, if we had a chance to draft DMC I'd do it in a heartbeat and cut Benson's ass. Barring that, however, there really isn't a major upgrade available.

I dont think there is any way to cut him. I read on Fox sports today that if we did its a 5million+ cap hit.

Bears would take big cap hit for cutting RB Benson
If the Bears cut Cedric Benson at the end of this season because they conclude he isn't the featured back they envisioned - a possibility - the remainder of his unaccounted for signing bonus will be an immediate salary-cap hit. Given the two years left on Benson's deal, according to a pro-rated bonus that would accelerate, that could count as much as $5.15 million against the salary cap if the Bears choose to get Benson off the books. Add that to the cost of buying another running back such as Turner, who won't be cheap, and you can see why the Bears need Benson to turn it on in the second half of the season. -- Chicago Tribune

And to the whole trading of TJ...I still love the trade. We essentially got 3 players who will be around chicago for 3-5 years (Okwo, Bauzin, and a 3rd this year) for the price of a guy who would have left after 1 year due to contract demands

Smokey Joe
11-04-2007, 10:00 PM
I dont think there is any way to cut him. I read on Fox sports today that if we did its a 5million+ cap hit.

And to the whole trading of TJ...I still love the trade. We essentially got 3 players who will be around chicago for 3-5 years (Okwo, Bauzin, and a 3rd this year) for the price of a guy who would have left after 1 year due to contract demands
4 actually, we got their 5th as well in 07 (Kevin Payne)

bearfan
11-04-2007, 10:27 PM
4 actually, we got their 5th as well in 07 (Kevin Payne)

Thank you for furthering my point lol

DaBears9654
11-04-2007, 10:30 PM
That's so great that it earned you a + rep from me.

Not only is that funny, but I would have to agree with it, hence the "real RB" part of my new sig.

k0ng
11-04-2007, 11:11 PM
Benson has the tools. It seems to be all mental with him. I think he'll get it going eventually. The o-line has really sucked and I don't care who you are, your not going to produce if you have no one blocking for you (see LT and LJ).

BTW, what the **** is going on with Wolfe?

bearsfan_51
11-04-2007, 11:53 PM
BTW, what the **** is going on with Wolfe?

He's a "change of pace" back. It's hard to get a change of pace when there's no pace being set in the first place.

Smokey Joe
11-05-2007, 07:00 AM
He's a "change of pace" back. It's hard to get a change of pace when there's no pace being set in the first place.
it doesn't help that he is pretty much the size of my little cousin.

pellepelle_10
11-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Haha, the Bears board is funny. I do the same thing every once and a while.

But on Benson, right now he is looking like a bust just because he cant manage anything w/o an offensive line. I think to draft a player like that, you need to have one to begin with. But not only that, he doesnt play with any drive, he goes down on contact easy, not a great reciever, or blocker. I dont know even with a good offensive line that he would be any good just because he goes down so easily.

Would I be opposed to drafting DMC? no. I think the 2 back system would be good, but it would signal that Benson isnt who we thought that he was, and that he wont be around once his contract runs up unless he signs for less money.

I think priorities though would go somewhat in this order:
OL
QB/S
WR/RB

And I dont think that we need an OLB if Briggs ends up leaving. We have spent 2 3rd round draft picks on OLB in Okwo and Jamar Williams. I think we give them a shot before we give up on them.

Bearfan..you hit some major points on the head with this. His attitude stinks. If he wants people off of his ass then he needs to start doing and stop talking. Again our offensive line is bad..its not the worst o-line i've ever seen. There are several runningbacks in this league that do well with marginal offensive lines. To hear him make laim excuses for his inability to run with fire under his ass is a bunch of crap. I've seen him run hard last year. He's not doing any of this now regardless of the offensive line. I personally am looking forward to an opportunity to see him wake up and smell the coffee or see someone else deserving of the position to replace him as runningback. JMO.

bearsfan_51
11-06-2007, 10:34 PM
What runningback can play without an offensive line?

evershot
11-07-2007, 02:03 AM

Walter Payton and Barry Sanders.

Smokey Joe
11-07-2007, 07:05 AM
He means running backs who aren't the best players to ever play their position. And you forgot Jim Brown.

Addict
11-07-2007, 07:15 AM
He means running backs who aren't the best players to ever play their position. And you forgot Jim Brown.

I guess, but the fact benson doesn't run well isn't just the O-line, he's just not that good.

DaBears9654
11-07-2007, 08:50 AM
There's a certain one in SoCal that I can think of. I think his first name's Ladanian. ;)

bearsfan_51
11-07-2007, 08:51 AM
I would agree that Benson is not at the level of Payton or Sanders. I'm glad we cleared that up. I'd still like to think there is some middle-room, however, between greatest of all time and absolutely worthless.

bearsfan_51
11-07-2007, 08:52 AM
There's a certain one in SoCal that I can think of. I think his first name's Ladanian. ;)
I would totally disagree with this actually. LT needs his offensive line very much to be an effective runner. That's why he often has games of 20-30 yards. He's dangerous once he gets to the second level but if you can meet him at the line he's really not that good.

dabears10
11-07-2007, 10:45 AM
I would agree that Benson is not at the level of Payton or Sanders. I'm glad we cleared that up. I'd still like to think there is some middle-room, however, between greatest of all time and absolutely worthless.

Nope, your either Sweetness or Curtis Enis. No other options.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
11-08-2007, 03:33 AM
I think there is a 60% chance he's gone next year if he continues to play the way he has been.

The OL is indeed terrible though.

brat316
11-08-2007, 03:45 AM
If they get him some O-line help, maybe he could produce. I guess being his first season where he is the work horse, with crap around him, qb and o-line, has made him look like crap. I think he is a back that needs to split carries, some backs have gotten it done with swiss cheese for o-line. But then again look at Edge James in AZ, with O-line help if he still does crap, then he has to go.

Smokey Joe
11-08-2007, 10:45 AM
I think there is a 60% chance he's gone next year if he continues to play the way he has been.

The OL is indeed terrible though.
he ain't going anywhere. His cap hit would still hurt this team a ton. Something like 5 million I think.

DaSuperfan
11-08-2007, 05:39 PM
We could draft another RB this year but the problem isn't the RB's, it's the person choosing these players. JA has a terrible eye for talent on the offensive side of the ball. He hasn't drafted one good offensive player outside of Greg Olsen, who looks like a keeper. The only other player on offense that he's drafted that has been worth anything is Berrian. But Berrian has played like crap this year, he hasn't been catching the ball and he looks lazy running his routes, not to mention that he doesn't really like to block.

So in all reality, if we ever want a good offense, JA has to step aside and let someone who knows how to evaluate talent on offense make the decisions. (which will never happen, so we should just hope for another GM)

Geo
11-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Anything less than 25 carries and 100 yards against the Raiders this weekend, and I'd be really concerned with Benson.

btw I love Olsen. What a great pick at #31. The next Tony Gonzalez imo.

Smokey Joe
11-08-2007, 06:00 PM
What we need is a great young offensive mind to be our OC.

bearfan
11-08-2007, 06:05 PM
So in all reality, if we ever want a good offense, JA has to step aside and let someone who knows how to evaluate talent on offense make the decisions. (which will never happen, so we should just hope for another GM)

But IMO JA has done a GREAT job. His eye for defensive talent is top notch, and if it means that we wont have a top 10 offense in the NFL...so be it.

bigbluedefense
11-08-2007, 06:17 PM
For what its worth, from a guy who's a Giants fan, and a Benson owner in Fantasy football, Benson reminds me of Ron Dayne.

Slow off the ball, not great vision, and for a guy who's supposed to be a pounder, he doesn't do alot of pounding.

However, I don't think he's as bad as people are painting him just yet. Give him a fair shake. In all likelihood, he'll be decent in a 1,2 RBC punch. I just don't think he'll be the workhorse he was supposed to be.

brat316
11-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Yeah he needs to split the carriers, but also he can't be working with a crap line. Even the Edge James can't do anything with crap line look at him now.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
11-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Im a longhorn fan, so I need to give my two cents...

I thought Benson was over hyped coming out of college, however I did think he was a sure-fire solid NFL running back.

I would say he has been disappointing. Not horrible, and it is not all his fault. But if his attitude was better, I would feel sorry for him.

As it stands now, he needs to shut the heck up.

Hurricane Ditka
11-12-2007, 02:16 AM
Benson's stats say he played terrible, and he did at times today, well yesterday, but overall he did alright. The offensive line was terrible, and he had a couple good runs. Benson's problems are fixable, if we sure up the offensive line and get a compentent number 2 running back. None of this Garrett Wolfe **** get the midget outta here, and let AP slide back to 3 and special teams.

brat316
11-12-2007, 03:28 AM
His stats where similar to White, White had 30 carries for 100 yards. Wolfe had 1 carry. White and Benson are similar, White has 4 ypc, but thats a bit inflated because of his few 100 yrd games. Benson has like 3, true dat that White is doing better on the goaline.

bearfan
11-12-2007, 06:24 AM
I think if JA wants to do his pick in Benson some justice, he should draft OL at least 2wice in the 1st three rounds. Benson has been bad, but he shows flashes every once in a while getting those 9 yarders. Even if he doesnt pan out, we will still have some young guys on the OL as the base. Its a win win

Addict
11-12-2007, 06:55 AM
But IMO JA has done a GREAT job. His eye for defensive talent is top notch, and if it means that we wont have a top 10 offense in the NFL...so be it.

Yes but if it means your offense, which isn't brilliant to begin with, is just getting worse over the years... And I hate to mention it, but your defense isn't playing that well either.

brat316
11-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Yeah, bear d is going down hill.

Moses
11-12-2007, 05:33 PM
His stats where similar to White, White had 30 carries for 100 yards. Wolfe had 1 carry. White and Benson are similar, White has 4 ypc, but thats a bit inflated because of his few 100 yrd games. Benson has like 3, true dat that White is doing better on the goaline.

How are White's stats inflated because he had a few 100 yard games?

bearfan
11-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Before, I was gung ho for ditching Benson. Now I am rethinking my thought process. Benson is a runner much like Alexander and LJ, needs a good line. When they have a good line, they not only are good, but they excel at a very high level. I think we need to give Benson that chance.

Moses
11-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Before, I was gung ho for ditching Benson. Now I am rethinking my thought process. Benson is a runner much like Alexander and LJ, needs a good line. When they have a good line, they not only are good, but they excel at a very high level. I think we need to give Benson that chance.

How have you came to that conclusion? Has Benson ever been successful in the NFL?

Geo
11-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Yes but if it means your offense, which isn't brilliant to begin with, is just getting worse over the years... And I hate to mention it, but your defense isn't playing that well either.
The offense is getting worse because the offensive line is getting worse. Struggling against the Raiders? Run the red flags.

The Bears definitely need to address offensive line in this upcoming Draft, as some posters have wisely noted already.

bearsfan_51
11-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Yeah, bear d is going down hill.

Actually our defense has improved considerably over the last 3 games. We've dealt with some issues this season but by and large the defense is young and talented. I'm not sure what 2008 will hold for the Bears, but I'm fairly certain we'll be back in the top 10 of defenses.

Offense may require another serious overhaul again though.

bearfan
11-12-2007, 09:13 PM
How have you came to that conclusion? Has Benson ever been successful in the NFL?

The same way you came to the Orton is garbage conclusion ;)

Last year he had some sucsess when the offensive line was playing well. You can also attribute that to the 1-2 punch, and an existing passing attack, but he still didnt play atrocious. According to Fox Sports, he was averaging 4.1ypc last year. Not amazing, but its around the average. Thats when the line is playing good in his second year.

And I came to that conclusion after I read it somewhere *dont ask me where*. I like the comparison, I am not saying that he is LJ or Alexander, but he has shown that he can get a good 5-10yrd run when there is a hole, a la offensive line. Like I said, build the line, see how he does, its a win win

Moses
11-12-2007, 09:17 PM
The same way you came to the Orton is garbage conclusion ;)

Last year he had some sucsess when the offensive line was playing well. You can also attribute that to the 1-2 punch, and an existing passing attack, but he still didnt play atrocious. According to Fox Sports, he was averaging 4.1ypc last year. Not amazing, but its around the average. Thats when the line is playing good in his second year.

And I came to that conclusion after I read it somewhere *dont ask me where*. I like the comparison, I am not saying that he is LJ or Alexander, but he has shown that he can get a good 5-10yrd run when there is a hole, a la offensive line. Like I said, build the line, see how he does, its a win win

I agree that runningback is far from the Bears main issue. I'm probably just thinking of Benson as the 5th overall pick instead of a runningback who could be solid but unspectacular. It's sometimes hard to separate a players draft position and what can be expected out of them a few years later.

brat316
11-12-2007, 09:21 PM
O-line and Qb.

toonsterwu
11-12-2007, 10:06 PM
I think they are going to bring him back for one more year. That said, I do expect them to add a back, whether it be through FA or the draft. Considering our glaring OT/QB concerns, along with other potential concerns at S and WR, amongst others, I think we'll look FA hard. Just not sure if we have the room to sign Burner, but we'll have to wait and see. Can't think of who else is a FA RB right now.

11-12-2007, 10:10 PM
they already have that scat back (garrett wolfe) that can compliment bensons game and bring some energy and change of pace to this bears O. why arent they using him more often?

Moses
11-12-2007, 10:43 PM
I think they are going to bring him back for one more year. That said, I do expect them to add a back, whether it be through FA or the draft. Considering our glaring OT/QB concerns, along with other potential concerns at S and WR, amongst others, I think we'll look FA hard. Just not sure if we have the room to sign Burner, but we'll have to wait and see. Can't think of who else is a FA RB right now.

A few of the big names:

Jamal Lewis
Fred Taylor
Chris Brown
Julius Jones

Julius Jones could be an interesting experiment in Chicago.

Hurricane Ditka
11-12-2007, 10:45 PM
they already have that scat back (garrett wolfe) that can compliment bensons game and bring some energy and change of pace to this bears O. why arent they using him more often?Because he's too small.

bearsfan_51
11-12-2007, 10:51 PM
A few of the big names:

Jamal Lewis
Fred Taylor
Chris Brown
Julius Jones

And Benson already has a great relationship with a Jones brother.

Oh wait.....

I'd like Chris Brown personally. We apparently kicked the tires on him this offseason but he signed with the Titans because he thought he'd get more opportunities.

Turtlepower
11-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Because he's too small.

And is a piece of garbage. =D

SFbear
11-12-2007, 10:52 PM

We could but Benson would have a temper tantrum. But then he would smoke some pot and things would be cool. Im all for Chris Brown. A lot will depend on what scheme the next offensive coordinator will bring in.

Turtlepower
11-12-2007, 10:53 PM
It all depends on how much the Bears are willing to spend. They could get Jamal Lewis...

brat316
11-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Its the O line and Qb, all they need is a good backup, to split the carries with, also Turner is available.

Moses
11-12-2007, 10:56 PM
And Benson already has a great relationship with a Jones brother.

Oh wait.....

I'd like Chris Brown personally. We apparently kicked the tires on him this offseason but he signed with the Titans because he thought he'd get more opportunities.

Haha, I forgot that they were brothers.

Smokey Joe
11-12-2007, 11:11 PM
Because he's too small.
and sucks.

Geo
11-12-2007, 11:13 PM
We could but Benson would have a temper tantrum. But then he would smoke some pot and things would be cool.
LOL

It was second-hand.

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Other then the fact that he sucks. Nothing else.
Sad to see how him,Cadillac, and Brown are doing.

Moses
11-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Other then the fact that he sucks. Nothing else.
Sad to see how him,Cadillac, and Brown are doing.

Ronnie Brown was playing great football until he got hurt.

Hurricane Ditka
11-12-2007, 11:29 PM
If he came cheap enough Jamal Lewis would be interesting. Chris Brown would be a nice pickup. Julius Jones would be interesting, he'd be a nice compliment to Benson, and both him and Benson thrive in a 2 back system. Whether or not the Jones family wants to deal with the Bears again is another story.

brat316
11-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Turner would be a good pick up

Hurricane Ditka
11-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Turner would be a good pick upMuch too expensive for the Bears tastes. We need to keep some of that money to sign our own guys.

pellepelle_10
11-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Benson's stats say he played terrible, and he did at times today, well yesterday, but overall he did alright. The offensive line was terrible, and he had a couple good runs. Benson's problems are fixable, if we sure up the offensive line and get a compentent number 2 running back. None of this Garrett Wolfe **** get the midget outta here, and let AP slide back to 3 and special teams.

Again I witnessed CB break a couple runs to get tackled by a safety, cb etc. This guy should be running these guys over. Its as if he says, "alright I got 6 yards..time to bag it in". Again our O-Line needs a lot of help but its not as bad as people are making it. If Anthony Thomas could muster 1000yds and 4.2 ypc with that crap O-Line or better yet offense we had in 2003 then Cedric Benson should with this one. Hell we even had Kordell Stewart as our starting qb with Marty Booker posting season ending stats comprable to Berrian of now. That team was disgusting.

pellepelle_10
11-13-2007, 10:44 AM
It all depends on how much the Bears are willing to spend. They could get Jamal Lewis...

Please dear God no. We had enough head cases. There's plenty of rookie runningbacks that could emerge as solid pro's. It doesn't have to be a 1st rnd pick either.

Jonathan Stewart is a very good back. The kid comes from a church background similar to Tommie Harris and he's focused on working hard. I had the chance to watch him rip people up in highschool and I have to say it was similar to seeing highschool clips of Corey Dillon. If he can keep a level head as he did in highschool he has a lot of promise in the pro's.

bearsfan_51
11-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Please dear God no. We had enough head cases. There's plenty of rookie runningbacks that could emerge as solid pro's. It doesn't have to be a 1st rnd pick either.

Jonathan Stewart is a very good back. The kid comes from a church background similar to Tommie Harris and he's focused on working hard. I had the chance to watch him rip people up in highschool and I have to say it was similar to seeing highschool clips of Corey Dillon. If he can keep a level head as he did in highschool he has a lot of promise in the pro's.
Stewart is a fine player, but he will clearly come at a 1st round price, which will require us once again to carry Benson as our backup or eat all of his salary, something that I don't think we could do if we wanted to. Not to mention that we would completely ignore our other needs. It's simply not going to happen.

And I could care less whether a player goes to church. Jefferey Dahmer was raised in a church family too.

pellepelle_10
11-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Stewart is a fine player, but he will clearly come at a 1st round price, which will require us once again to carry Benson as our backup or eat all of his salary, something that I don't think we could do if we wanted to. Not to mention that we would completely ignore our other needs. It's simply not going to happen.

And I could care less whether a player goes to church. Jefferey Dahmer was raised in a church family too.

My point was he shows himself to be a model citizen. (which could change given a few million in your pocket). The kid worked hard and stayed out of trouble. We all see he's a solid collegiate runningback. Now if he can carry this into the pro's he can make himself to be one hell of a NFL back. I'm not sure if he'll go in the 1st but I would definatelly look at snagging him if he remained until the 2nd. JMO

bearsfan_51
11-13-2007, 11:07 AM
My point was he shows himself to be a model citizen. (which could change given a few million in your pocket). The kid worked hard and stayed out of trouble. We all see he's a solid collegiate runningback. Now if he can carry this into the pro's he can make himself to be one hell of a NFL back. I'm not sure if he'll go in the 1st but I would definatelly look at snagging him if he remained until the 2nd. JMO
Stewart is a sure-fire 1st round back. Trust me.

Hurricane Ditka
11-13-2007, 12:34 PM
We have bigger needs to spend our first , second and third round picks on.

bigbluedefense
11-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Either get Turner or a RB in the draft. Ive never been a fan of used cars if you get what im saying.

DaSuperfan
11-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Felix Jones should be considered in the 2nd round at some point if he was available. The only RB I'd consider in the 1st round would be Darren McFadden, but we'll win too many games to even get a chance at him.

D-Unit
11-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Please take Julius Jones off our hands.

Smokey Joe
11-13-2007, 03:57 PM
Felix Jones should be considered in the 2nd round at some point if he was available. The only RB I'd consider in the 1st round would be Darren McFadden, but we'll win too many games to even get a chance at him.
Felix Jones is considered as a top 10 talent by some. I don't know what you are talking about, this junior RB class is loaded with great talent and a lot of them are already considered to be possible first rounders.

Geo
11-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Please take Julius Jones off our hands.
Julius Jones' current contract, which ends after this season, will see to that.

D-Unit
11-13-2007, 04:54 PM
I'd hate to see the Bears with Johnathan Stewart... I'll tell you that...

Smokey Joe
11-13-2007, 06:04 PM
I'd hate to see the Bears with Johnathan Stewart... I'll tell you that...

Any team that gets Jonathan Stewart is gonna get a good one...

however for us, we have much bigger needs.

DaSuperfan
11-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Felix Jones is considered as a top 10 talent by some. I don't know what you are talking about, this junior RB class is loaded with great talent and a lot of them are already considered to be possible first rounders.

Top 10 talent? I haven't read that anywhere. I've seen some people put Jones in at the end of the first round, but haven't seen him ranked as a top 10 talent in the 2008 draft.

All I'm saying is we should consider Felix Jones if we're looking for a RB. That's all I'm saying. I don't know where he's ranked right now, but we should be drafting somewhere in the middle of the first round. If we really wanted a RB, and he's as good as you say he is, he should be a definite possibility then.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
11-13-2007, 10:25 PM
I would absolutely love Rashard Mendenhall in the 2nd. I've been saying it for a while the kid is a freaking stud who's style screams NFL.

He would fit very nice into the offense - especially if he was a 3rd down back to start. He catches the ball very well out of the backfield & is a very good route runner.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
11-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Wow am I reading this right? Jamal Lewis? The guy sucks & is one of the worst RBs in the league.. Easily worse than Benson.. I couldn't imagine Lewis running behind this OL - he would probably barely gain 500 yards in 16 games.

Smokey Joe
11-13-2007, 10:41 PM
As an NU fan (Go Cats, Sutton rocks!), the Illini are pretty much my mortal enemy. However, I really like Mendenhall. I haven't watched him much, but I have seen some and liked what I saw. If he declares this year (which would be idiotic by him, IMO), I wouldn't mind him in the second at all. I say it would be stupid for him to come out because the Illini do have a shot at a big ten title next year, and I think Mendenhall could use another year and rise his stock. I think he can be a top 15 pick next year.

Since you have watched him a lot more then me, how's his blocking? I am tired of seeing Peterson and Benson having no idea how to pick up a blitz and when they do go for a block they do with no technique what-so-ever and lunge and fall on their face.

Also, who would you compare Mendenhall to? I want to say Thomas Jones. Similar body type, both good receivers, and both have good vision.

no love
11-14-2007, 01:45 AM
One guy the Bears might think of picking up in the 3rd round might be Justin Forsett. The guy backed up Lynch and got 999 yds with a 7.6 ypc. If you saw the game against USC you know what I mean, 145 rushing yards with 5.3 ypc and 45 more yards in receptions. He ran ALL OVER that USC def.

He is a big play threat but can be an every down back if he get 5-10 more pounds. A compact runner that can break tackles and is shifty. Plus he is a hard nosed runner who will just hit the hole hard. Maybe his north/south running style will make Benson think twice about being so tentative.

pellepelle_10
11-14-2007, 03:05 AM

I think this guy "could" do well in the pro's however he suffers from the same problem Caddilac Williams did. Not enough carries and he's not the largest player around. Can he take a full load? If so I'd be willing to pull the trigger. He's definatelly one hell of a back.

Hurricane Ditka
11-14-2007, 11:46 AM
I think this guy "could" do well in the pro's however he suffers from the same problem Caddilac Williams did. Not enough carries and he's not the largest player around. Can he take a full load? If so I'd be willing to pull the trigger. He's definatelly one hell of a back.We wouldn't be given him the full load. Benson's going to get more than half a season, and a season with an actual offensive line before he gets the shaft.

VoteLynnSwan
11-14-2007, 12:26 PM
our needs at OL, QB, S, even WR are far too pressing to afford drafting a RB in the 1st round, let alone round 2. We'd be much better off looking at trades/free agency for RBs and stick to OL, S, and QB (no particular order) in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

Hurricane Ditka
11-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Well we have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds. I'd say we must address QB, S, OL. Which leaves a spare pick that'll be determined by value. We could go OL again, DT depending on value, LB, WR, or RB again all depending on value.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
11-14-2007, 04:10 PM
As an NU fan (Go Cats, Sutton rocks!), the Illini are pretty much my mortal enemy. However, I really like Mendenhall. I haven't watched him much, but I have seen some and liked what I saw. If he declares this year (which would be idiotic by him, IMO), I wouldn't mind him in the second at all. I say it would be stupid for him to come out because the Illini do have a shot at a big ten title next year, and I think Mendenhall could use another year and rise his stock. I think he can be a top 15 pick next year.

Since you have watched him a lot more then me, how's his blocking? I am tired of seeing Peterson and Benson having no idea how to pick up a blitz and when they do go for a block they do with no technique what-so-ever and lunge and fall on their face.

Also, who would you compare Mendenhall to? I want to say Thomas Jones. Similar body type, both good receivers, and both have good vision.

I see Travis Henry honestly.. I know the measurables are a little off, because Mendenhall is a few inches taller, but that's who I see in Mendenhall. I'm not sure how good Henry is out of the backfield catching the ball, but Mendenhall is very good. But as a pure runner I see Travis Henry - some will probably disagree with that, but that's who I see.

As for his blocking he's really not back there much, because of the option & the offense, but when he is he has shown he knows how to pick up a blitz. He recognizes a blitz better than he is a blocker right now, but the kid is tough as nails and could definitely improve.

Here's some runs vs Wisconsin:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=27cxAs7mGSs

VoteLynnSwan
11-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Mendenhall really reminds me of Clinton Portis... his running style, his quickness, his vision, his body type, all similar to Portis in my opinion. If he comes out this year i could see a similar draft position as well, early round 2.

pellepelle_10
11-15-2007, 04:16 AM
Mendenhall really reminds me of Clinton Portis... his running style, his quickness, his vision, his body type, all similar to Portis in my opinion. If he comes out this year i could see a similar draft position as well, early round 2.

I wouldn't mind us using a top 3 pick on a rb. If many of these junior backs decide to go pro it could become very interesting.

Darren McFadden - Arkansas
Jonathan Stewart - Oregon
Kevin Smith - UCF
Jamaal Charles - Texas
Rashard Mendenhall - Illinois
Steve Slaton - West Virginia
Javon Ringer - Michigan State
Felix Jones - Arkansas
Ian Johnson - Boise State

If many of these guys decide to go pro this year it can add a lot of strength to a weak rb core this year. We'll see how this turns out.

DMBZeppelin
11-16-2007, 02:48 AM
If the Bears got Darren McFadden, I think I would weep tears of Joy.

What they should have done though is hired scouts who could have told them Benson sucked. Then traded Briggs to the Redskins for the No. 6 pick, and drafted Adrian Peterson since he went 7th to the Vikes. Keep a super star away from a division rival, and fix your biggest problem.

bearfan
11-16-2007, 06:27 AM

What they should have done though is hired scouts who could have told them Benson sucked. Then traded Briggs to the Redskins for the No. 6 pick, and drafted Adrian Peterson since he went 7th to the Vikes. Keep a super star away from a division rival, and fix your biggest problem.

Haha, I have thought about that, but we did have Benson who had showed some promise. And if DMC was avaliable, I would be tempted to take him, but there are quite a few RBs in this draft that we could pair up w/ Benson for a 1-2 punch. Right now my ideal 1st 3 rounds would be something like:
1: OL *Unless Woodson, Ryan or Philips (and DMC ;) ) are avaliable)
2: QB
3: S
3: OL/WR/RB

Hurricane Ditka
11-16-2007, 11:18 AM

Running back is not our biggest problem.

brat316
11-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Its the O-line and qb.

PACKmanN
11-17-2007, 03:14 PM
All I have to say is this if both Rashard Mendenhall and Jonathan Stewart are gone when we draft or we don't take one of them with our pick, I will be pissed. I wanted Marshawn Lynch or Greg Olsen last year and we didn't get one of them and now if one of these guys don't come to us I will snap.

Race for the Heisman
11-18-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm following the game on ESPN Gamecast because the game isn't airing on the east coast but Benson has 4 runs for 66 yards and a 43 yarder.

brat316
11-18-2007, 04:02 PM
All I have to say is this if both Rashard Mendenhall and Jonathan Stewart are gone when we draft or we don't take one of them with our pick, I will be pissed. I wanted Marshawn Lynch or Greg Olsen last year and we didn't get one of them and now if one of these guys don't come to us I will snap.

I thought the Bear did draft Olsen, maybe you should look at Bears roster or follow their first round pick

bearsfan_51
11-18-2007, 04:05 PM
He's a Packers fan. Why he's making random comments I'm not sure.

SFbear
11-18-2007, 04:06 PM
I thought the Bear did draft Olsen, maybe you should look at Bears roster or follow their first round pick

He's a Packer fan, hence the name PACKman.

brat316
11-18-2007, 04:16 PM
ohhh yeha didn't see that, I thought he was talking about Benson, and he knew that benson sucked from last year.

sweetness34
11-18-2007, 05:00 PM
Um Benson didn't suck last year. Maybe you should just stop posting in this thread and save yourself.

Cedric has a ton of talent, and I still think he can put up big numbers. He just needs to run with more purpose, and well an OL would help too.

bearsfan_51
11-18-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure how much talent Benson really has to be honest.

sweetness34
11-18-2007, 06:37 PM
I'm not sure how much talent Benson really has to be honest.

Give him an OL who can at least give him SOME holes and you'll see a different RB.