PDA

View Full Version : Which top junior runningbacks come out?

Smokey Joe
11-04-2007, 05:47 PM
Top Junior Runningbacks (in no specific order):

Darren McFadden, Arkansas
Jonathan Stewart, Oregon
Felix Jones, Arkansas
Steve Slaton, WVU
Ray Rice, Rutgers
Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois
Jamaal Charles, Texas
Keven Smith, CF
James Davis, Clemson
Ian Johnson, Boise St.

Which ones do you think will come out? There are so many good ones, it is unbelievable. I tried to list all the runs with 1st round potential and/or there has been rumors of them coming, but if you feel another junior RB should be named in this list, go ahead and add him. Anyway, some of them have to stay or else next year's class got a whole lot weaker.

bearsfan_51
11-04-2007, 05:51 PM
I'm not sure I'd consider Maurice Wells a top anything.

I think the top 4 on your list declare, the rest stay. Rice and Kevin Smith are the wildcards to me.

Tampa 2 4 life
11-04-2007, 05:53 PM
I'm not sure I'd consider Maurice Wells a top anything.

I think the top 4 on your list declare, the rest stay. Rice and Kevin Smith are the wildcards to me.

I think he'll leave, I dunno if he wants another year of 35 carries a game before the NFL.

scottyboy
11-04-2007, 05:58 PM
god, early on I was soooo sure Ray Ray would stay, but now, I'm not too sure. He loves RU and Schiano but his body is taking one helluva pounding with all the carriers he's getting. He's said he wants a big east title, but it kills me to say I'm just not sure right now

Smokey Joe
11-04-2007, 06:02 PM
My thoughts (should have just put this in my original post in retrospect):

I think McFadden, Stewart, Jones, and Slaton all leave. I think James Davis leaves as well since Spiller will likely take away a lot of his carries next season. Keven Smith and Ray Rice, I like how 51 listed them as wildcards. Ian Johnson, if he does enter he probably wouldn't be any better then 3rd round pick and would probably benefit with another season in college. As for Jamaal Charles and Rashard Mendenhall, it all depends on if they'd rather compete for a BCS game or just enter the NFL right away.

sodar21
11-04-2007, 06:04 PM
I think he'll leave, I dunno if he wants another year of 35 carries a game before the NFL.

Wrong guy.

BaLLiN
11-04-2007, 06:05 PM
My thoughts (should have just put this in my original post in retrospect):

I think McFadden, Stewart, Jones, and Slaton all leave. I think James Davis leaves as well since Spiller will likely take away a lot of his carries next season. Keven Smith and Ray Rice, I like how 51 listed them as wildcards. Ian Johnson and Maurice Wells, if they do enter they probably wouldn't be any better then 3rd round picks and would probably benefit another season in college. As for Jamaal Charles and Rashard Mendenhall, it all depends on if they'd rather compete for a BCS game or just enter the NFL right away.

I agree with that, but id like to see jones stay another year and show that he can be an elite back without having McFadden there too.

And Id like to see Charles come out because next year he will most likely be a top 20 pick.

FinNasty
11-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Unfortunately... I dont see Kevin Smith staying. I think he is gone...

Tampa 2 4 life
11-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Unfortunately... I dont see Kevin Smith staying. I think he is gone...

Nah, he'd be best to play in the senior bowl.

ironman4579
11-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Wrong guy.

Maybe I'm confused, but what?

FinNasty
11-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Nah, he'd be best to play in the senior bowl.

We run him a ton though. I'm not sure if it will be worth it to him to come back...

Plus, I am pretty sure he has a kid. He might need the $$$...

D-Fence
11-04-2007, 10:30 PM
People keep saying Jones should come back, but I don't see what he has to gain from it. He's already producing at an elite level. If he tests well, he's probably the third RB off the board, and possibly the second if he really blows someone away. I don't see how he falls out of the first this year should he declare, and I think another year at Arkansas would be a waste, because they're only going to get worse with McFadden and Monk walking about the door. The fact his legs don't have a ton of mileage on them has to be appealing to scouts. If you're not sure he can carry the load, why wouldn't a team like Dallas take him and use him in a two-back offense?

superfly69
11-04-2007, 10:51 PM
McFadden is sure to come out and be a top 5 pick. Stewart's stock rises with every Oregon win. Ray Rice could also come out and probably would go late in the 1st or early 2nd. I have a feeling Felix Jones and Slaton will go back to school, Slaton specificly is clearly a system RB and needs a big senior year to improve his stock.

Geo
11-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Ray Rice needs to come out, another season's ridiculous amount of carries isn't going to make him any faster, more explosive, or bigger. Get in the pros sooner and potentially get to free agency sooner, it's a young man's position relative to the pros.

NYGibril28
11-05-2007, 07:38 AM
Jonathan Stewart, Oregon
Felix Jones, Arkansas
Steve Slaton, WVU
Ray Rice, Rutgers
Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois
Jamaal Charles, Texas
Keven Smith, CF
James Davis, Clemson
Ian Johnson, Boise St.

Those......

Finsfan79
11-05-2007, 08:56 AM

number 1 overall pick

keylime_5
11-05-2007, 10:10 AM
McFadden, Jones, and Stewart for sure. I think Slaton, James Davis, and Mendenhall are gone too. That would be a sick RB class.

dabears10
11-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Keylime what makes you think Mendenhall is going to leave? Or is it just a gut feeling.

Geo
11-05-2007, 10:29 AM
I would love that runningback class, the best we've seen in years. I'm still a big fan of Slaton, his natural speed and vision are uncanny, and he's promising as a receiving option ... Mendenhall is an unknown beast, I love the guy, though I'd like to see him play another year to prove himself and probably be drafted higher in 09 ... and I've been big on James Davis for over two years now, he's a stud. Including Jonathan Stewart, there are some great/ideal blends os size, speed, power, and ability. And of course, there's the two burners from Arkansas who can potentially impact the game beyond just rushing the ball, most likely by returns.

Cashmoney
11-05-2007, 11:53 AM
i just dont see ian johnson coming out for some reason.

Man_Of_Steel
11-05-2007, 12:24 PM
I have a feeling Felix Jones and Slaton will go back to school, Slaton specificly is clearly a system RB and needs a big senior year to improve his stock.

Slaton is likley to leave. Hes not gonna take a chance on Devine stealing more carries when he is already projected as a first rounder.

P-L
11-05-2007, 02:09 PM
I think the underclassmen that declare are:

Darren McFadden, Arkansas - No explanation needed.

Felix Jones, Arkansas - I've always felt that McFadden and Jones have partially benefited from each other. Jones is probably a 1st Round pick and going back to school may not help him as much as some suggest.

James Davis, Clemson - He is one of the more underrated players in the nation. I have him as a 1st Round pick and probably the second best junior back out there.

Jonathan Stewart, Oregon - Excellent size/speed ratio who is getting better by the game. His 4.3 speed is probably a myth, but if he can bust out a 4.40-4.45 at the combine at his size, he could see the top half of the 1st Round.

Kevin Smith, Central Florida - He's had an excellent season and I think his stock could be at its highest after the season. He's a 1st Round talent that will probably fall to the 2nd Round because of the depth at RB ahead of him.

Guys who I think will stay for their senior year:

Steve Slaton, West Virginia - I like Slaton, but I don't love him. If he comes out this year I think he's only a 2nd or early 3rd Round pick. I think all of the guys who I have declaring are better and he'd best served to come back. If he's truly as good as advertised, he doesn't need to worry about Devine stealing carries.

Jamaal Charles, Texas - I'm not as high on him as most as a pro prospect and with all of the other RB prospects that should be rated higher, he could free fall to at least the 3rd Round. I heard he's considering coming out, but I think he makes the correct decision and stays.

Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois - I really like this guy, but I think he stays and competes with Beanie Wells (and maybe C.J. Spiller) for the first RB drafted in 2009. If this RB class wasn't so strong, I'd lean towards him coming out. However, he's probably best served to come back.

Ray Rice, Rutgers - I think he should come out, but I think he will stay. Rice is on pace for almost 1300 carries for his career should he stay. I think he stays because he is a good, but not great NFL prospect.

keylime_5
11-05-2007, 02:53 PM
2008 is a relatively weak draft class, so guys llke Slaton and Mendenhall will get a lot more money if they stay for their senior years. They'd probably be early second rounders this year but if they stay in college another year their almost certain top 20 picks. Beanie Wells should be a top 10 pick no question, but he's not eligible until next year so that's a different conversation.

Geo
11-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Excellent write-up, PL. I think Felix (the Cat, hehe) Jones might hurt himself coming then, as I'd gladly take McFadden/Davis/Stewart/Smith over him and that probably slides him down far into the 2nd round, at least for me. Whereas he could use his senior year in Arkansas as the main back to hopefully be mid-1st round pick in 09. Especially as current backs in the league get older, and a team will be enticed by his speed.

Travis 24
11-05-2007, 03:24 PM
As a Rutgers fan, I'd like to see Rice enter now...I love watching him in scarlet, but I really can't wait to see him compete at the highest level.

scottyboy
11-05-2007, 04:24 PM
As a Rutgers fan, I'd like to see Rice enter now...I love watching him in scarlet, but I really can't wait to see him compete at the highest level.

wow, thats absurd. As a rutgers fan you want him to stay because our other options at RB are a kid who was brought in as a CB/ATH and our starter would be coming off season ending surgery(pretty sure knee). of course i want to see him succeed at the pros, but the RU homer in me is screaming at him to stay

BaLLiN
11-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Ray Rice was originally brought in as a cornerback

Travis 24
11-05-2007, 05:18 PM
wow, thats absurd. As a rutgers fan you want him to stay because our other options at RB are a kid who was brought in as a CB/ATH and our starter would be coming off season ending surgery(pretty sure knee). of course i want to see him succeed at the pros, but the RU homer in me is screaming at him to stay

Is it absurd because its not what you want?

Mason Robinson nor Kordell Young needs to carry the load like Rice did...They both have more speed than Rice does. And the passing game should be a lot better next year..hopefully..

As a Ray Rice fan, I want to see him have success in the NFL..and not get hurt in college.

Travis 24
11-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Ray Rice was originally brought in as a cornerback

He played RB and CB in high school...some thought he'd move to CB because of guys like (Leonard, moved to FB)..Dimitri Linton and Davon Smart. Linton moved to CB..