PDA

View Full Version : My week nine opinions

BlindSite
11-05-2007, 02:09 AM
Rookie Watch

Adrian Peterson

Who else could I put here? On Sunday Adrian Peterson broke the NFL Single Game rushing record formerly held by Jamal Lewis by a single yard. Even more amazing is that both Peterson and Lewis achieved almost the exact same rushing total with exactly 30 carries each.

Should Petersonís body hold out within reach will not only be Jamal Lewisí mark of 2,066 yards but Erik Dickersonís NFL Record 2,105. Surprisingly, Peterson still averages under twenty carries per game, should the Vikings increase this number as they face opponents whoíre poor defensively another couple of big games could catapult Peterson into the record books ahead of a player who is considered one of the best of all time.

Best Performance

Drew Brees

Breesí 445 yards and three touchdowns facing the Jaguars helped push the rejuvenated Saints to another victory. This is a great performance from a player who just weeks ago was being criticized as a flash in the pan quarterback who was a product of the system and supporting cast in the San Diego and a hero due to circumstance in New Orleans. Brees this week has hopefully silenced his critics as heís not only helped him steam to a win, but has kick started a stagnant offense which will be needed in the coming weeks to help the Saints make a push for the NFC South crown.

The NFC South

Another week and more confusion in the NFC South. Tampa looked dominant facing Arizona and failing a case of dropsies from Alex Smith it wouldíve shown more clearly on the scoreboard. New Orleans looked red hot against the faltering Jaguars and seem to be hitting their stride offensively riding the Marques Colston and Drew Brees connection. Carolina continues to tumble from the top with David Carrís inept Quarterbacking and Atlanta just prolongs the inevitable with a hard fought win in San Francisco.

It appears this division will be a two horse race by week ten with Tampa and New Orleans slugging it out for the crown. My feeling is New Orleans wonít win the title simply because Tampa is playing too well right now. Garcia is exactly what that offense needed and their defense seems to be adjusting to a few key losses and an interesting mix of really old and really young across the board. Grudenís experience should win out here and should the slipshod running back stable keep up the pace the Buccs should keep alive the NFC Southís tradition of cellar dwellers returning to dominance the following year.

Rod Marinelli

Hired in 2006 and having an awful 2005 Marinelli has managed to completely turn a franchise around. After being the butt of endless jokes about Wide Receivers and pathetic players all over the team Detroit now looks like a potential playoff contender thanks in large part to the coachís efforts.
The team is young, plays hard and has emerging talent at most skill positions, though I think the Lions of this year are like the 49ers of last year, in that theyíre playing above their ability it shows the team is finally on the right track. With sound drafting this year and adding a young quarterback we might actually see the Lions become, dare I say it, a success?

Coaches Losing Sleep

Mike Shanahan

After losing his starting quarterback and having the offensive and defensive weaknesses exposed Shanahan has to be feeling slightly uncertain about his teamís future. Shanahanís two big fat rings will be enough to allow him a pass through a couple of losing seasons in Denver but it seems his team has lost its magic. Denver hasnít really had star studded offensive or defensive lines throughout the last few years, and the team has still made the playoffs nearly every year. This year the team is flat, unmotivated and handled every week by just about every opponent they face.

Something is very wrong in Denver and it doesnít seem to be just a personnel issue as the tough win against Pittsburgh and strong effort against Green bay show the team can play, when it wants to. Like with Carolina, Denver seems to be a team that plays ONLY when it wants to, and like with Carolina I sense big changes coming on both sides of the ball.

Players Losing Sleep

Steve Smith

Steve Smith has to be getting frustrated (more so than usual, as Smith is always frustrated). I cannot name too many guys who week in and week out strap on the pads and come to play with as much fire, enthusiasm and raw will to win as Steve Smith. Too bad heís got no quarterback trying to get him the ball. Smith runs every route, blocks every run play and fights for every ball he can to help Carolina to win games and when he receives the ball, his efforts are more than enough.

Jeff Davidson and John Fox collectively need to work with David Carr to ensure Smith gets more than three or four touches in a game. All he needs is eight or nine catches to break one for a score and put up over 100 yards on any defense in the NFL but still, heís ignored by David Carr and seemingly nothing is done to get him more involved.

Smith is a team first guy, but with his personality and ability he needs to be fed ball early and often or he will implode and turn his anger on those around him. Steve Smith is the best wide receiver in the game and heís far from being a Terrell Owens or Chad Johnson, but that doesnít mean he wonít get frustrated enough to make bigger waves if something doesnít change soon.

QB Thoughts

David Carr

If it wasnít official before, it damn sure is now, heís a B-U-S-T bust. To put it bluntly, David Carr is nowhere near being an effective signal caller in the NFL.

Quarterbacks are supposed to be leaders, but how can one lead when they donít show confidence in the players around them? He doesnít take shots down field, he never steps properly into the pocket and never goes through his progressions properly to find the best option.

I had some faith in Carr and to be honest I was happy when he was signed in the offseason to back up Jake but after seeing him play for an extended period I have to say Iím sorry we didnít get Harrington instead of Atlanta, hell, Iím sorry we didnít get ANYONE else.

The sooner Testaverde is back, the better.

JP Losman

He might not be Peyton Manning and he might not be putting up gawdy statistics but he is doing exactly what he needs to. Since 2004 Losman has shown a steady improvement in the way he both manages and more importantly, wins games. Though I feel his days in Buffalo are numbered, with Trent Edwards in town, I think whoever signs him following his release will gain a very talented young quarterback.

Losman has never had a lot of stability in his supporting cast or coaching staff and at times that is made abundantly clear, but in the right situation with the right coach and players around him he could be a very, very solid addition to many teams around the league.

Final Notes

Outside of Dallas there really doesnít appear to be a contender in the NFC. In fact, outside of Indianapolis and New England, thereís not really another contender in the AFC. Sure in the past some teams have come literally from nowhere to fight to and win the super bowl, but I donít really recall any teams being this far ahead of the pack, in recent history anyway.

Is this just me or is the NFLís parity really that extreme?

Caddy
11-05-2007, 02:56 AM
The Buccaneers defense is playing great this year and a lot of there success can be attributed to this. The D-Line actually played well against the Cardinals with over a dozen QB hurries. The LB corp of Ruud, Brooks and June has been ultra consistent, and the DB's have been unexpectedly stellar with Ronde and Phillip Buchanon dominating and Tanard Jackson and Jermaine Phillips shocking everyone with great play. Combined with the consistency of Garcia and the ageless wonders of Galloway and Hilliard, as well as workhorse Earny Graham, the offense is actually working quite well this year.

In saying that, the Saints scare me, and it is going to be a good battle for supremacy in the NFC South.

Seasonticketholder
11-05-2007, 11:57 AM
I don't know Blindsite about Tampa winning the NFC South. The Saints have found an identity and are beginning to click on all cylinders. Tampa has now looked as stout over the last four games at they did in the first four games of the season. A lot will depend, obviously, on how these teams finish down the road. I think the Saints control their destiny more than the Bucs. Both teams have a pretty easy schedule although Tampa still has to play a tough Washington team at home and the Saints on the road. It is that latter game that gives the Saints more of a control of their own destiny on paper since they will be at home. Of course, that does not mean anything if you don't win the game. Both teams must play well and avoid slip ups. Like, when Tampa travels to Atlanta, Houston and San Francisco (a game that looks easy on paper but gets difficult when you consider that Tampa has not played as well lately when traveling across country for a game). I believe the Saints can run the table as they appear to be getting better each week. But you never know. There are no gimmes in this league. The last two months of the season will prove to be very interesting.

Geo
11-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Losman stares down Lee Evans so much, it's crazy. He can't keep doing that once he plays better pass defenses than the Jets and Bengals.

neko4
11-05-2007, 12:02 PM
He stares em down because he has no other options

Flyboy
11-05-2007, 01:43 PM
The Saints shouldn't scare anyone. Nothing to see here, folks. Just an average .500 NFC team. Move along. No hype plz. kkthx

JPLUFF
11-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Hopefully Drew Stanton will be the young quaterback that will lead Detroit to success in the near future.

BlindSite
11-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Hopefully Drew Stanton will be the young quaterback that will lead Detroit to success in the near future.

Mental blank on that one, don't know how I forgot where one of my favourite prospects in the draft went.

mqtirishfan
11-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Final Notes

Outside of Dallas there really doesnít appear to be a contender in the NFC. In fact, outside of Indianapolis and New England, thereís not really another contender in the AFC. Sure in the past some teams have come literally from nowhere to fight to and win the super bowl, but I donít really recall any teams being this far ahead of the pack, in recent history anyway.

Is this just me or is the NFLís parity really that extreme?

Seriously, what do the Packers have to do for some respect? It's not like they're 7-1 or anything...

Bills2083
11-05-2007, 02:42 PM
It is impossible to bring Marshawn Lynch down with just one person. His legs keep pumping, and he always gains 3 or 4 extra yards, and falls forward. He's going to be a great RB in the NFL.

bearsfan_51
11-05-2007, 02:45 PM
The team is young, plays hard and has emerging talent at most skill positions, though I think the Lions of this year are like the 49ers of last year, in that they’re playing above their ability it shows the team is finally on the right track.
The Niners are on the right track?

bearsfan_51
11-05-2007, 02:47 PM
It is impossible to bring Marshawn Lynch down with just one person. His legs keep pumping, and he always gains 3 or 4 extra yards, and falls forward. He's going to be a great RB in the NFL.
Dude...what's with the Bills homers today? I'm pretty sure someone has brought Lynch down by themselves. There's probably one, maybe two, runningbacks you can say that about in the history of the NFL, Jim Brown and Earl Campbell. Lynch isn't even a powerful runner, exemplified by the fact that he's pretty mediocre in the redzone.

art vandelay
11-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Dude...what's with the Bills homers today? I'm pretty sure someone has brought Lynch down by themselves. There's probably one, maybe two, runningbacks you can say that about in the history of the NFL, Jim Brown and Earl Campbell. Lynch isn't even a powerful runner, exemplified by the fact that he's pretty mediocre in the redzone.

Lynch is a powerful runner...have you ever watched him? While I'm sure one person has brought him down before, it is a rare occurrence. He basically does exactly what Bills2083 says he does, keeps his legs pumping and rarely goes down on first contact.

Bills2083
11-05-2007, 02:52 PM
^This is my first post about the Bills today. Why's it such a big deal that I said something positive about the Bills?

Maybe talking about how great Adrian Peterson is, is a better idea.

A Perfect Score
11-05-2007, 02:55 PM

No matter what marshawn lynch does, he will forever be in the shadow of adrian peterson, who is head and shoulders above him. I cant believe some people said lynch was better. However, congrats to him for a real good day tomorrow.

And dont think i dont like lynch. I saw him in person earlier this year and he is a dynamic back. Just not on the same level as peterson, and they will always be compared.

bearsfan_51
11-05-2007, 02:56 PM
^This is my first post about the Bills today. Why's it such a big deal that I said something positive about the Bills?

Maybe talking about how great Adrian Peterson is, is a better idea.That's nice, did I say it was just you? As for praising Lynch, that would be fine, but perhaps you should say things that are true instead of talking out of your ass.

Bills2083
11-05-2007, 03:03 PM
^please explain how I'm talking out of my ass

Moses
11-05-2007, 03:10 PM
^please explain how I'm talking out of my ass

Saying he is never brought down one-on-one for one thing...

Bills2083
11-05-2007, 03:14 PM
^Is 'extremely difficult' better for everyone?

Geo
11-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Marshawn Lynch can't help being born on the dying planet Krypton and being sent to this planet as an infant, don't hate. Although with the amount of carries he's already logged, I'd be seriously concerned about him hitting the rookie wall and soon.

bearsfan_51
11-05-2007, 03:19 PM
No because that isn't true either. Lynch isn't a powerful between the tackle runner, he's a shifty runner with explosive potential.

I mean...honestly I'm not trying to call you out here, but when you make outlandish statements that don't even accurately reflect the players on your own team it brings down the discourse of the board in general.

Another example: "His legs keep pumping, and he always gains 3 or 4 extra yards, and falls forward".

You realize that he's averaging 3.9 ypc right? Are you honestly implying that he gets hit at the line of scrimmage on every single play? Do you realize what a ridiculous statement that is?

Bills2083
11-05-2007, 03:19 PM
delete this

BaLLiN
11-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Rookie watch:
Aaron Ross vs. Tony Romo

BufFan71
11-05-2007, 06:46 PM
No because that isn't true either. Lynch isn't a powerful between the tackle runner, he's a shifty runner with explosive potential.

I mean...honestly I'm not trying to call you out here, but when you make outlandish statements that don't even accurately reflect the players on your own team it brings down the discourse of the board in general.

Another example: "His legs keep pumping, and he always gains 3 or 4 extra yards, and falls forward".

You realize that he's averaging 3.9 ypc right? Are you honestly implying that he gets hit at the line of scrimmage on every single play? Do you realize what a ridiculous statement that is?

actually if u watch the bills play...
he DOES get hit at, or before the LOS almost every play

BlindSite
11-06-2007, 01:46 AM
The Niners are on the right track?

I think so, if they get some better talent on the offensive line and legitimate number one receiver they'll do some good.

Their defensive line would benefit from a nice big body as well, but that offense needs to take the pressure off frank gore and give Smith another outside weapon.

The 49ers could be a good team but losing Turner hurt immensely.

As for Greenbay, I like what the packers are doing and last week I sang them huge praises, but with their pass defense they'd get shredded by the almost any team with a decent set of receivers. They were pushed to their limit by a very poor denver team.

I see them as the second tier in the NFC.

NFL wise I've got

Pats
Colts
Cowboys

Pittsburgh
Greenbay

and so on and so fourth.

Moses
11-06-2007, 02:11 AM
I think so, if they get some better talent on the offensive line and legitimate number one receiver they'll do some good.

Their defensive line would benefit from a nice big body as well, but that offense needs to take the pressure off frank gore and give Smith another outside weapon.

The 49ers could be a good team but losing Turner hurt immensely.

As for Greenbay, I like what the packers are doing and last week I sang them huge praises, but with their pass defense they'd get shredded by the almost any team with a decent set of receivers. They were pushed to their limit by a very poor denver team.

I see them as the second tier in the NFC.

NFL wise I've got

Pats
Colts
Cowboys

Pittsburgh
Greenbay

and so on and so fourth.

The Packers pass defence is hardly a major weakness. They have trouble covering tight ends and Jarrett Bush (the nickelback) can be exposed in man coverage. Other than that, they have been great this season. Has a wide receiver even went for over 100 yards on them yet this season?

BlindSite
11-06-2007, 05:08 AM
20th ranked pass defense Bobby Wade had 80 yards.

Besides, do you really think that the three teams I mentioned as the top tier, don't have great 3 wide receiver or a good tight end, Indy has Harrison, Wayne and Gonzalez and Cowboys have Witten, Owens, and Crayton has been no slouch, NE doesn't really need an introduction as far is its receivers.

Moses
11-06-2007, 11:32 AM
20th ranked pass defense Bobby Wade had 80 yards.

Besides, do you really think that the three teams I mentioned as the top tier, don't have great 3 wide receiver or a good tight end, Indy has Harrison, Wayne and Gonzalez and Cowboys have Witten, Owens, and Crayton has been no slouch, NE doesn't really need an introduction as far is its receivers.

Maybe try watching some games instead of relying on statistics that mean little to nothing.

I'm not saying that the Packers are as good as the Colts or Patriots, they're not. However, pass defence has not been one of their major weaknesses this season, especially against wide receivers.

BlindSite
11-07-2007, 01:13 AM
Maybe try watching some games instead of relying on statistics that mean little to nothing.

I'm not saying that the Packers are as good as the Colts or Patriots, they're not. However, pass defence has not been one of their major weaknesses this season, especially against wide receivers.

I've seen three packers games this year...

Every single one of them I've seen pass defense as a major weakness. I like the Packers, but they're not a SB contender.

Tell me honestly, could you really see them beating the Cowboys, Pats or Colts?

Moses
11-07-2007, 01:19 AM
I've seen three packers games this year...

Every single one of them I've seen pass defense as a major weakness. I like the Packers, but they're not a SB contender.

Tell me honestly, could you really see them beating the Cowboys, Pats or Colts?

I could see them beating the Cowboys, yes. Obviously the top 2 AFC teams look a lot more competent than anything in the NFC.

What do the Cowboys have that the Packers don't? A run game? That's about it.

Ward
11-07-2007, 01:22 AM
I could see them beating the Cowboys, yes. Obviously the top 2 AFC teams look a lot more competent than anything in the NFC.

What do the Cowboys have that the Packers don't? A run game? That's about it.

QB - Cowboys
RB - Cowboys
WR/TE - Cowboys
OL - Cowboys

DL - Cowboys
LB - Cowboys
DB - Cowboys

ST - Cowboys

But yeah I can see how you'd think that would be an exciting game.

bearsfan_51
11-07-2007, 01:23 AM
QB - Cowboys
RB - Cowboys
WR/TE - Cowboys
OL - Cowboys

DL - Cowboys
LB - Cowboys
DB - Cowboys

ST - Cowboys

Now now...their D-line is better.

Moses
11-07-2007, 01:25 AM
QB - Cowboys
RB - Cowboys
WR/TE - Cowboys
OL - Cowboys

DL - Cowboys
LB - Cowboys
DB - Cowboys

ST - Cowboys

Are you kidding me?

Ward
11-07-2007, 01:26 AM
Now now...their D-line is better.

Kinda depends on what we're classifying as D-line, but I'll go ahead and concede. If our DL is Canty - Ratliff/Tank Johnson - Spears, then yes. However if our DL includes Ware, Ellis, and Spencer, no.

Moses
11-07-2007, 01:31 AM
I'll take the Packers defence over the Cowboys defence any day of the week.

Passing offences are similar and I think it's pretty close to a toss up. Rushing offence goes to the Cowboys in a landslide.

Nice try though Ward. I really like how you think the Cowboys are better at every position.

bearsfan_51
11-07-2007, 01:33 AM
I'll take the Packers defence over the Cowboys defence any day of the week.

Passing offences are similar and I think it's pretty close to a toss up. Rushing offence goes to the Cowboys in a landslide.

Nice try though Ward. I really like how you think the Cowboys are better at every position.
The Cowboys' passing offense is significantly better than the Packers'.

TO + Witten > Donald Driver + ?

Moses
11-07-2007, 01:36 AM
The Cowboys' passing offense is significantly better than the Packers'.

TO + Witten > Donald Driver + ?

Funny how the Packers have compiled more yards and are 2nd in the league in passing offence...

Driver, Jennings, and Jones have all shown to be great targets. Even Donald Lee has chipped in at TE and is a very solid target. Hell, how do you think the Packers have one of the top offence's in the league? The rushing attack?

Cowboys are 20th in scoring. 8th in yards. 17th in passing. 5th in rushing
Packers are 9th in points. 5th in yards. 2nd in passing. 32nd in rushing.

If anybody has the upperhand in the pass game, it has to be the Packers.

Addict
11-07-2007, 01:36 AM
Are you kidding me?

he's a cowboys fan, what did you expect?

Moses
11-07-2007, 01:39 AM
he's a cowboys fan, what did you expect?

Maybe some homerism but saying that the Cowboys are better at EVERY position and that the game wouldn't even be exciting?

bearsfan_51
11-07-2007, 01:41 AM
Funny how the Packers have compiled more yards and are 2nd in the league in passing offence...

Driver, Jennings, and Jones have all shown to be great targets. Even Donald Lee has chipped in at TE and is a very solid target. Hell, how do you think the Packers have one of the top offence's in the league? The rushing attack?

Cowboys are 20th in scoring. 8th in yards. 17th in passing. 5th in rushing
Packers are 9th in points. 5th in yards. 2nd in passing. 32nd in rushing.

If anybody has the upperhand in the pass game, it has to be the Packers.
Where in the world do you get that the Cowboys are 20th in scoring? Try 2nd.

They are 2nd in yards, 3rd in passing, and 10th in rushing.

You were looking at their defense.

Moses
11-07-2007, 01:43 AM
Where in the world do you get that the Cowboys are 20th in scoring? Try 2nd.

They are 2nd in yards, 3rd in passing, and 10th in rushing.

You were looking at their defense.

Whoops, misclicked. Still, it's basically the same premise. It's a toss up or Packers by a slim margin in terms of passing attack.

Offensively the Cowboys are more well-rounded but I think the Packers are both more talented and more productive on defence.

Burns336
11-07-2007, 02:33 AM
Whoops, misclicked. Still, it's basically the same premise. It's a toss up or Packers by a slim margin in terms of passing attack.

Offensively the Cowboys are more well-rounded but I think the Packers are both more talented and more productive on defence.

If the Cowboys had no run game like the packers I think it would be safe to say that they would "out stat" the packers by plenty when it comes to passing. Plus when you are blowing out about half the teams you play and killing the entire 4th quarter with Marion Barber instead of fighting into overtime or down to the last second like the packers are doing week in and week out, your passing numbers aren't going to be as gaudy.

Ehhh... Cowboys defense has been improving just about every week, and with stars like Ware and Newman surrounded by a bunch of other young and talented guys, especially at LB, I'm not quite sure where the more talented and more productive side of the packers comes in?

Either way, I just think a team with a non-existent running game such as the packers cannot be considered a top tier team. The cowboys have a well rounded offense that can play with just about anyone and the defense hasn't been nearly as susceptible to the deep ball as last year. In fact, outside of the first game of the season and the Pat's game they haven't given up many big plays on defense at all.

Moses
11-07-2007, 02:36 AM
Ehhh... Cowboys defense has been improving just about every week, and with stars like Ware and Newman surrounded by a bunch of other young and talented guys, especially at LB, I'm not quite sure where the more talented and more productive side of the packers comes in?

Either way, I just think a team with a non-existent running game such as the packers cannot be considered a top tier team. The cowboys have a well rounded offense that can play with just about anyone and the defense hasn't been nearly as susceptible to the deep ball as last year. In fact, outside of the first game of the season and the Pat's game they haven't given up many big plays on defense at all.

And the Packers have been improving every week as well. With stars like Woodson, Harris, Barnett, and Kampman. And they also have a consistent WCO that can move the chains through the air with quick passes and the receivers racking up the YAC. Plus, they can make the big play as they have shown consistently throughout the year.

But no, the Cowboys are on a completely different level with similar talent and the same record. They're going to cakewalk to the Super Bowl with not even a slight challenge from the Giants, Lions, or Packers.

Ward
11-07-2007, 10:20 AM
But no, the Cowboys are on a completely different level with similar talent and the same record. They're going to cakewalk to the Super Bowl with not even a slight challenge from the Giants, Lions, or Packers.

Now you're getting it. Also, do you think that the fact that maybe since we do have a balanced offense, our passing numbers would be less than Green Bay's? As someone already pointed out, if we had to (and we don't) we could throw the ball all day long as well. And I'll take TO, Crayton, and Witten any day over Donald Driver and ... supporting cast. But if you really think that my post was unreasonable, let's continue. I wasn't being a homer, I was making a point. The Cowboys are top to bottom (excluding D-Line) a better team. If you think our secondary with Newman, Henry and Hamlin is worse than Woodson, Harris and... Collins? then I'm not sure who the homer is. If you think that Hawk and Barnett are better than Ware/James/Ayodele/Spencer/Ellis/Carpenter/Burnett, then we have a much bigger argument here.

Moses
11-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Now you're getting it. Also, do you think that the fact that maybe since we do have a balanced offense, our passing numbers would be less than Green Bay's? As someone already pointed out, if we had to (and we don't) we could throw the ball all day long as well. And I'll take TO, Crayton, and Witten any day over Donald Driver and ... supporting cast. But if you really think that my post was unreasonable, let's continue. I wasn't being a homer, I was making a point. The Cowboys are top to bottom (excluding D-Line) a better team. If you think our secondary with Newman, Henry and Hamlin is worse than Woodson, Harris and... Collins? then I'm not sure who the homer is. If you think that Hawk and Barnett are better than Ware/James/Ayodele/Spencer/Ellis/Carpenter/Burnett, then we have a much bigger argument here.

Packers defence top to bottom, is better. This has been proven both statistically and by watching them play.

You can't compare a 3-4 defensive line to a 4-3 defensive line, and the same goes for the linebackers. From a talent perspective, I think both teams are similar.

From a passing perspective, the Packers have a higher completion rate. Disregarding how many attempts they have, they're still completing more passes. Also, they have thrown less interceptions. The passing games are very close which is why I think most would say it is a toss up or a slight Green Bay advantage.

These two teams are too close to call at this point. You saying that the game wouldn't even be exciting is idiotic Ward. Maybe the Cowboys come in and blow out the Packers. Maybe the Packers go in and blow out the Cowboys. Maybe it's a close game decided by a last-minute FG. I can tell you one thing, anybody who has either team ahead by a large margin doesn't know NFL football.

Jughead10
11-07-2007, 12:22 PM

I dunno about the WRs. Passing targets in general I take the Cowboys becuase of Witten. But without Glenn, I'll take the trio of Driver, Jennings, and Jones. Everyone keeps on saying Driver and ?. I guess people don't know who Greg Jennings is. He is better than every WR on the Cowboys except for TO.

Also the Packers LBers are closer than you think. Besides Ware who is great, none of the Cowboys LBers scream out at you. Barnett and Hawk are clearly better than anyone not named Ware in the core. Packers have the better defense in general right now. So they have to be better somewhere than the Cowboys.

Diehard
11-07-2007, 03:07 PM
This year the team is flat, unmotivated and handled every week by just about every opponent they face.

I agree. Motivation, intensity, guts... they're all MIA.

Something is very wrong in Denver and it doesnít seem to be just a personnel issue as the tough win against Pittsburgh and strong effort against Green bay show the team can play, when it wants to. Like with Carolina, Denver seems to be a team that plays ONLY when it wants to, and like with Carolina I sense big changes coming on both sides of the ball.

I can only hope that real changes will come in the offseason. This franchise is looking awfully stale. There are definitely some personnel issues - your comment about the lack of stars on the front lines was a direct hit. There was some pretty awful drafting a few years back that really hurt the talent level / depth. Shanny keeps patching the team, but the present mix of old geezers, out-of-position players and raw recruits isn't getting it done. Throw in an obvious lack of leadership and you've got an awful mess.

neko4
11-07-2007, 03:18 PM
And I'll take TO, Crayton, and Witten any day over Donald Driver and ... supporting cast.

Wow what ignorance
Name-Yards,Recc
TO- 730, 44
Witten- 617, 45
DD- 539, 44
Jennings- 454, 23 (Has missed 2 games)
Jones- 432, 32
Crayton- 400, 26
Lee- 382, 29

Do some research please
TO even begin to suggest that the cowboys have a far superior reciever core over the Green Bay "no-name" rcievers as you seem to think they are is ludacris. Jennings is clearly the best recivever out there not named TO or Donald Driver. Hell he may be better than Driver. I'll admit that with Glenn the cowboys have a better reciever core and they may have a slight edge now, but its not like GB doesnt have recievers. The two cores are in the top 5-7 in the NFL

Packers probably have the youngest team in the league

QB - Cowboys- I think this could go either way.
RB - Cowboys
WR/TE - Cowboys- Tie, without Glenn
OL - Cowboys

DL - Cowboys- I completly forgot that Kampman has like 9 or so sacks. Oh and Pickett has been a great run stuffer, the DT's constantly bat passes down at the line, and KGB and Jenkins have done well in the rotation.

LB - Cowboys- Both teams have some pretty underated LB's so i'd call it a tie.

DB - Cowboys- If Newman or Henry is out, Roy is a liability in coverage. Atari has way more upside, Collins doesnt have the stats but if he learned how to catch he would have 2-3 INTs by now. i'd say the CB's are even.

ST - Cowboys- Crosby usually gives us good field position, Ryan has a great leg and Koren Robinson is back and he is a threat in the return game.

neko4
11-07-2007, 03:27 PM
5 times more a game? in other words if they threw it 20 times we woulda thrown it 100+

neko4
11-07-2007, 03:35 PM
oh i thought you ment, 5X mores.
so that proves we cant run the ball
But we do pass more effectivly.
Higher completion % than DAL, lower YPA but 2 less INTS even though Dallas throws it less

VoteLynnSwan
11-07-2007, 03:35 PM
the packers defense is a terrible unit... not because they're not talented, but because they make so many penalties. They should have lost their last 4 games with the way that secondary has played, Woodson is good for two big PIs a game, and Bigby is probably averaging about 4 penalties a game in his last few... The packers are a team that will likely be a top seed in the playoffs, but will lose their first game in the playoffs by a decent margin.

neko4
11-07-2007, 03:37 PM
aside from the penalties the defense is solid. it has its weakness (TE's) but its been better than any team in the NFC Norths

neko4
11-07-2007, 03:44 PM
The packers scheme isnt built around the deep pass. Simple as that IMO

neko4
11-07-2007, 04:14 PM
No, ive mearly said GB's passing attack is more effective

neko4
11-07-2007, 04:49 PM
What about jennings' totals, they dont reflect the amount of attempts the packers have

Moses
11-07-2007, 05:17 PM
You can argue about who is the better passing team all day. The reality is that the Packers only pass the ball, they don't run it. Teams know this and compensate. Still, they move the ball as effectively as anybody in the league through the air (except for the Patriots obviously). Dallas also has a great passing offence. It is a toss up.

Both defences are good and there are legitimate arguments both ways. I think the Packers have the edge here as they have really clamped down and won some games for the Packers. Talent-wise, they're one of the elite units in the NFL and it shows on the field as they don't give up many points. Dallas is great as well. Who's better? I'd give it to the Packers from what I've seen thus far but again it's pretty close to a toss up.

This whole argument started because Ward said that the Cowboys are better at every position than the Packers and that the game wouldn't even be exciting. If you subscribe to that statement, you clearly have an agenda of some kind or are just a complete idiot.

The Cowboys, Giants, Packers, and Lions are the class of the NFC right now. Any of those teams could take the crown and it would not surprise me in the least to see any one of them end up as the #1 or #2 seed. The Packers aren't the Patriots or Colts, but guess what? Neither are the Cowboys.

mqtirishfan
11-07-2007, 07:11 PM
the packers defense is a terrible unit... not because they're not talented, but because they make so many penalties. They should have lost their last 4 games with the way that secondary has played, Woodson is good for two big PIs a game, and Bigby is probably averaging about 4 penalties a game in his last few... The packers are a team that will likely be a top seed in the playoffs, but will lose their first game in the playoffs by a decent margin.

7th in scoring defense.
11th in yardage defense.
7th in sacks.
2nd in defensive TDs.

Say what you will about the Green Bay Packers, but they are not a terrible unit defensively.

mqtirishfan
11-07-2007, 07:16 PM
QB - Cowboys
RB - Cowboys
WR/TE - Cowboys
OL - Cowboys

DL - Cowboys
LB - Cowboys
DB - Cowboys

ST - Cowboys

QB- Push
RB- Cowboys
WR/TE- I might give Dallas the edge, but the Packers have more depth at WR easily. Witten and Owens are just damn good.
OL- Cowboys, but it's close for pass blocking.

DL- Packers
LB- Push because I feel Pop brings down the LB unit in GB significantly.
DB- possibly a push, but Dallas has more consistency at the S position.

ST- Cowboys, but neither team is that good.

neko4
11-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Folk and Crosby have been great. Ryan is a good punter, i dont know who punts for dallas, and Koren Robinson does have a good history as a return man. I know im argueing about ST, pretty slow night

mqtirishfan
11-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Folk and Crosby have been great. Ryan is a good punter, i dont know who punts for dallas, and Koren Robinson does have a good history as a return man. I know im argueing about ST, pretty slow night

I don't respect Dallas' return game, and I think Ryan has some kind of physical handicap that makes him unable to land a punt inside the 20 without kicking it out the back of the endzone.

Boston
11-07-2007, 07:34 PM
7th in scoring defense.
11th in yardage defense.
7th in sacks.
2nd in defensive TDs.

Say what you will about the Green Bay Packers, but they are not a terrible unit defensively.

Just ignore him. Or, talk about the Bears defense. Or lack thereof...