PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Draft...Looking Back

NYGibril28
11-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Some people may not follow rookies much after the draft, so here's an update from a stats standpoint. For some rookies I added some of my own insight, just based on my thoughts on how they've played since arriving in the NFL.

Career stats through Week 9.

Mario Williams, DE, Texans: 27 games played, 27 games started, 70 tackles, 8.5 sacks,
Had a somewhat disappointing rookie campaign, and a nice start in 2007. I still think he'll prove to be a better pick over Reggie Bush.

Reggie Bush, RB, Saints: 268 carries, 999 yards, 3.7 YPC, 9 TDs, 138 receptions, 1,019 yards, 4 TDs
May not have had value as a RB, but he helped bring this franchise back to accountability. He and Brees were the face of the NFL last season and has been a great asset to the franchise. On field production not at it's best though.

Vince Young, QB, Titans: 22 games played, 20 games started, 277/508, 54.5%, 3,054 yards, 15 TD, 21 INT, 65.2 rating, 130 rushes, 717 yards, 4 TD
Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2006. Hasn't been especially productive passing the ball, but still has been an effective QB. 6-2 Titans, weren't expected to do anything this year.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Jets: Has started every game of his career. Has been solid since his arrival. Living up to his billing as franchise LT.

A.J. Hawk, LB, Packers: 24 games played and started. 171 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 3 INT's.
Has lived up to his "ballhawk" role thus far. Was dubbed as the biggest sure thing of the draft. So far, that holds evident.

Vernon Davis, TE, 49ers: 45 catches, 518 yards, 4 TD
Has been productive, but a bit injury-plagued for the early part of the year. So far, has warranted Top 6 selection as a TE. Still plenty of time and still has the potential.

Michael Huff, S, Raiders: 120 tackles, 1 Sack, 1 Safety, 6 passes defended
Hasn't made an interception yet, but has still been good. A key piece to that improving defense.

Donte Whitner, S, Bills: 159 tackles, 4 passes defended, 1 INT
I feel he was the best defensive player as a rookie in 2006. He and Ko Simpson have formed a great young duo.

Ernie Sims, LB, Lions: 195 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT
He's been a monster. Undersized, but overly fast. Really was a great pick by Matt Millen. Back-to-back for him with Sims and CJ.[/I

Matt Leinart, QB, Cardinals: 17 games played, 16 games started. 274/489, 56%, 3,194 yards, 13 TD, 16 INT, 33 rushes, 91 yards, 2 TD
[I]Has showed good poise and leadership, but numbers haven't been good yet. I still feel he'll be a great QB once he returns next year, hopefully with a better offensive line.

Jay Cutler, QB, Broncos: 13 games played, 13 games started, 222/356, 63.2, 2,691 yards, 17 TD, 13 INT. 31 rushes, 99 yards, 1 TD
Statistically has been the best QB of the class. That hasn't translated to team success though in 2007.

Haloti Ngata, DL, Ravens: 23 games played, 23 games started, 54 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 INT.
Has played DE in the 3-4 after being pegged as a NT prior to the draft. Good, but not spectacular.

Kamerion Wimbley, LB, Browns: 90 tackles, 14 sacks.
Has been the rush-backer for Romeo Crenell, and excelled in that role.

Broderick Bunkley, DT, Eagles: 25 tackles, 2 sacks
Didn't start as a rookie but has started every game this season and notched two sacks.

Tye Hill, CB, Rams: 67 tackles, 6 Passes defended, 3 INT

Jason Allen, DB, Dolphins: 29 tackles, 1 pass defended, 1 INT

Chad Greenway, LB, Vikings: 52 tackles
Sat out 2006 with injury. Started every game this year. Averagin 6.5 tackles per contest.

Bobby Carpenter, LB, Cowboys: 26 tackles, 1.5 sacks

Antonio Cromartie, CB, Chargers: 37 tackles, 12 passes defended, 4 INTs
Has stepped up this year. Also proven he's a threat with the ball in his hands.

Tamba Hali, DE, Chiefs: 78 tackles, 11 sacks, 1 INT

Laurence Maroney, RB, Patriots: 264 carries, 1,162 yards, 4.3 YPC, 6 TDs, 24 receptions, 231 yards, 1 TD

Manny Lawson, LB, 49ers: 68 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 1 INT

Davin Joseph, G, Buccaneers: Started every game, not sure, but he must be doing okay.

Santonio Holmes, WR, Steelers: 75 catches, 1,250 yards, 6 TD, 4 rushes, 25 yards

Johnathan Joseph, CB, Bengals: 81 tackles, 24 passes defended, 1 INT

John McCargo, DT, Bills: 18 tackles, 1 Sack

DeAngelo Williams, RB, Panthers: 185 carries, 819 yards, 4.5 YPC, 2 TD, 49 receptions, 402 yards, 2 TD
Still playing 2nd fiddle to Foster even though he's obviously the best back on the team.

Marcedes Lewis, TE, Jaguars: 33 receptions, 346 yards, 1 TD

Nick Mangold, C, Jets: Started every game. Playing very well.

Joseph Addai, RB, Colts: 375 rushes, 1,785 yards, 4.8 YPC, 14 TD, 63 receptions, 530 yards, 3 TD
Easily been the best pick of the 1st round thus far, statistically.

Kelly Jennings, CB, Seahawks: 73 tackles, 11 passes defended, 1 INT

Mathias Kiwanuka, DE/LB, Giants: 92 tackles, 8.5 sacks, 2 INT
Would be a great rush backer in a 3-4. Excelling on 3rd down for the Giants.

GermanSaint
11-05-2007, 09:54 AM
so the only two players that really disappointed (at least me )

were carpenter and jason allen ....

the others were ok at least.

what do you think ?

Number 10
11-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Going to end up as one of the better draft classes of all time. Said it back then and I still believe it.

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-05-2007, 10:06 AM
2nd round is good to.

Jakey
11-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Some awsome players in that draft...Still glad we took Santonio, he's gonna be a beast.

keylime_5
11-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Jason Allen, Bobby Carpenter, Marcedes Lewis, John McCargo, and Manny Lawson are on the high road to bust-dom if they don't get it going.

Addai, Whitner, Sims, Wimbley, Holmes, and Mangold are really great players. (although Wimbley and Mangold are not as productive as they were as rookies I think - sophomore slump maybe).

Moses
11-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Jason Allen, Bobby Carpenter, Marcedes Lewis, John McCargo, and Manny Lawson are on the high road to bust-dom if they don't get it going.

Addai, Whitner, Sims, Wimbley, Holmes, and Mangold are really great players. (although Wimbley and Mangold are not as productive as they were as rookies I think - sophomore slump maybe).

Manny Lawson? He played pretty well last year. He had a season-ending injury this year. Not really sure why you would label him on the road to being a bust.

bigbluedefense
11-05-2007, 10:41 AM
I think Bobby Carpenter needs a change of scenery. He's not a bad player by any means, he just has no role in this new defense.

Cleveland or the Jets (teams that run the BP 3-4) should give up a pick for him. If you get him for a 3rd, or even a 2nd, I think it might be a steal.

The Unseen
11-05-2007, 10:44 AM

I wouldn't say Marcedes is a bust...he was limited by an ankle injury his first year, and this year he's getting more catches. He's not a great pick, but he's becoming more productive.

gonzo1105
11-05-2007, 11:00 AM
I know most people dont care about Buffalo outside of Buffalo but John McCargo is turning into a beast and is no longer considered a bust in Bills eyes. He got hurt bad last year and missed his rookie season and got hurt again in training camp but he is a big reason why the Bills run D has gotten so much better over the last 5 weeks. McCargo is getting constant pressure in the backfield and pushing the line back on run plays. He is by no means a superstar but he has really turned the corner and become a solid player the Bills were hoping for ...just thought i'd give the rest of the country a heads up.

Billingsley26
11-05-2007, 11:39 AM
I know most people dont care about Buffalo outside of Buffalo but John McCargo is turning into a beast and is no longer considered a bust in Bills eyes. He got hurt bad last year and missed his rookie season and got hurt again in training camp but he is a big reason why the Bills run D has gotten so much better over the last 5 weeks. McCargo is getting constant pressure in the backfield and pushing the line back on run plays. He is by no means a superstar but he has really turned the corner and become a solid player the Bills were hoping for ...just thought i'd give the rest of the country a heads up.

YES"M! Agree 100%!

Watchman
11-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Davin Joseph has struggled a bit this year, I honestly expected him to be playing at a higher level than he is after a promising rooked year.

SenorGato
11-05-2007, 11:57 AM
D'Brick is going to be elite in a year or two.

He's gotten better like every game this season. I don't remember the last time I actually worried about someone beating him.

Now if only we could get a dominant G next to him. Clarke is killing us.

Nitschke-Hawk
11-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Just got the wonderful idea that the Packers could trade for Bobby Carpenter to play SAM in our 4-3 opposite his boy A.J. Hawk and Nick Barnett in the middle.

Geo
11-05-2007, 12:52 PM
I'd like to see Bobby Carpenter traded if he's not going to start in Dallas, it's just disappointing to see great talent have to sit on the bench and root on his teammates instead of playing on the field.

Splat
11-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Tamba Hail had a great rookie season he has been some what of a let down this year but he has been playing on a bad foot. That being said he has not sucked just not made the kinda plays he made last year and with Jared Allen getting doubled teammed so much I thought he would have done more.

Flyboy
11-05-2007, 01:40 PM
I'd like to see Bobby Carpenter traded if he's not going to start in Dallas, it's just disappointing to see great talent have to sit on the bench and root on his teammates instead of playing on the field.

We'll take him in NO since we have a thing for white LB's. *shrugs*

LonghornsLegend
11-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Some awsome players in that draft...Still glad we took Santonio, he's gonna be a beast.

I would of gladly took him over Carp, but that goes for alot of players, cromartie, lawson, or joseph

no love
11-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Manny Lawson? He played pretty well last year. He had a season-ending injury this year. Not really sure why you would label him on the road to being a bust.

All indications from his play in preseason and in the first two games was that the light finally turned on for Manny. And he didn't have a bad year by any stretch for a guy who was forced into a 4-3 OLB position for the first time when he was drafted to be a 3-4 OLB. Everyone was talking about how Manny and Patrick were going to be a force at the beginning of the season, at least one has been.

DChess
11-05-2007, 02:16 PM
wimbleys stats dont show how well he is playing this year, getting double teamed whenever he rushes, also forced to play DE sometimes because of our lack of depth but at the end of the baltimore game he was an absolute monster, really helped us win that one. he put some really impressive moves on their RT.

Michigan
11-05-2007, 02:17 PM
lol at the thought of mccargo being labeled a bust.

art vandelay
11-05-2007, 02:48 PM
lol at the thought of mccargo being labeled a bust.

I know, he has been getting consistent pressure all year for the Bills. Very far from a bust.

Bills2083
11-05-2007, 02:57 PM

There are only a few people outside of Buffalo that know how good McCargo is. He is constantly in the opponent's backfield, and making stops. He's made our defense A LOT better. He's a solid player, and only getting better

osi+ap=allshallperish
11-05-2007, 05:14 PM

McCarto's been arguably the bills best dlineman this year.

Geo
11-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Yeah, we slightly touched on that in the 17 earlier posts.

osi+ap=allshallperish
11-05-2007, 05:24 PM
I think Bobby Carpenter needs a change of scenery. He's not a bad player by any means, he just has no role in this new defense.

Cleveland or the Jets (teams that run the BP 3-4) should give up a pick for him. If you get him for a 3rd, or even a 2nd, I think it might be a steal.

I think carp would flourish as a bear if they go to a more aggressive d next year, he'd be beast attacking the line and has the agility to cover in zone. Still think he can be a stud with a team that puts him in the right position

BaLLiN
11-05-2007, 05:36 PM
If Kiwanuka were at DE all the time he would be considerably better stat-wise, he just doesnt know how to play linebacker yet

sodar21
11-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Mangold is the future pro bowler. D'Brick is playing well but he's not quite there as yet. McNeil and Thomas (rookie) have performed better so far.

yourfavestoner
11-05-2007, 07:06 PM
I personally haven't been that impressed with Ferguson and doubt if he'll ever be an elite LT in this league. From what I read, last year he played most of the season around 285 lbs. He gets pushed around way too much (in both the run and the pass game) and he has pretty much maxed his frame out. He's not going to be able to add much - if any - additional weight and power.

energizerbunny
11-05-2007, 07:24 PM
I personally haven't been that impressed with Ferguson and doubt if he'll ever be an elite LT in this league. From what I read, last year he played most of the season around 285 lbs. He gets pushed around way too much (in both the run and the pass game) and he has pretty much maxed his frame out. He's not going to be able to add much - if any - additional weight and power.

Funny how I was about to say the exact same thing. Whenever I've seen him play this year he seems to be getting tossed around alot by smaller Dlineman and he hasn't had nearly the success I thought he would have in the pass game, he gets beat alot more than he should.

etk
11-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Davin Joseph has struggled a bit this year, I honestly expected him to be playing at a higher level than he is after a promising rooked year.

He's arguably the most gifted guard in the league athletically, but penalties and mental lapses have plagued him over the past 2 years. I still think he will eventually be an All-Pro caliber guard, he just needs to improve his focus.

Basileus777
11-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Mangold is the future pro bowler. D'Brick is playing well but he's not quite there as yet. McNeil and Thomas (rookie) have performed better so far.

McNeil has not been good this year, while Brick has improved significantly. He is still a poor run blocker, but his pass protection is good.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
11-05-2007, 10:57 PM
I feel that the description doesn't give Ngata the credit i think he deserves. IMO he has been a very good player/pick and is someone people need to account for becuase he is so strong. Just my opinion though.

To much praise has been given to D'Brick also, but i hope it ends up being true

elcapitan
11-06-2007, 03:20 AM

Please excuse him, he was just randomly selecting players from the list. Much like what the Dolphins did this year in the first round.

marks01234
11-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Relative to where they were selected.

Mario Williams, DE, Texans: D+
Reggie Bush, RB, Saints: D
Vince Young, QB, Titans: C+
D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Jets: B
A.J. Hawk, LB, Packers: B
Vernon Davis, TE, 49ers: D+
Michael Huff, S, Raiders: C
Donte Whitner, S, Bills: B
Ernie Sims, LB, Lions: B+
Matt Leinart, QB, Cardinals: D
Jay Cutler, QB, Broncos: B-
Haloti Ngata, DL, Ravens: B-
Kamerion Wimbley, LB, Browns: A-
Broderick Bunkley, DT, Eagles: B-
Tye Hill, CB, Rams: B-
Jason Allen, DB, Dolphins: D-
Chad Greenway, LB, Vikings: C-
Bobby Carpenter, LB, Cowboys: F
Antonio Cromartie, CB, Chargers: B-
Tamba Hali, DE, Chiefs: A
Laurence Maroney, RB, Patriots: C+
Manny Lawson, LB, 49ers: C+
Davin Joseph, G, Buccaneers: C-
Santonio Holmes, WR, Steelers: B
Johnathan Joseph, CB, Bengals: C
John McCargo, DT, Bills: B
DeAngelo Williams, RB, Panthers: D
Marcedes Lewis, TE, Jaguars: D
Nick Mangold, C, Jets: B+
Joseph Addai, RB, Colts: A+
Kelly Jennings, CB, Seahawks: C-
Mathias Kiwanuka, DE/LB, Giants: A+

Brent
11-06-2007, 11:50 AM
I just cant get behind Vince Young. I kept an open mind about him coming into the league but I cannot believe people still think highly of Vince Young after he's posted a wonderful QB rating of 61.5 this year.

marks01234
11-06-2007, 12:03 PM
I just cant get behind Vince Young. I kept an open mind about him coming into the league but I cannot believe people still think highly of Vince Young after he's posted a wonderful QB rating of 61.5 this year.

I don't really feel his offense is setting him up to succeed as a passer.

He also brings the running game.

Lastly he is doing something that no other young QB from the previous three drafts has done - Leading his team to a level of play beyond their expectations.

no love
11-06-2007, 12:45 PM
When you take a qb like Vince, who comes from a spread offense there has to be a certain grace period where he can learn how to be a drop back passer, his numbers will surely improve once his fundamentals get a bit better. The important thing is that he has the confidence to not get rattled by poor play.

And his lack of numbers this year can be attributed to what his offense game plan is doing this year. I think Norm is trying to force Vince to be a better pocket qb so that he can learn the game better. Because of this, they don't have him running around all over the place where he can create mismatches because of his mobility. I think it will help him in the long run, but right now it's just killing his fantasy value.

Shiver
11-06-2007, 12:48 PM
I don't really feel his offense is setting him up to succeed as a passer.

He also brings the running game.

Lastly he is doing something that no other young QB from the previous three drafts has done - Leading his team to a level of play beyond their expectations.

The Titans are winning in spite of him right now. Attributing any of their 6-2 record to Vince Young is a slap in the face to the Titans' defense.

BrownsTown
11-06-2007, 12:59 PM
The Titans are winning in spite of him right now. Attributing any of their 6-2 record to Vince Young is a slap in the face to the Titans' defense.

Exactly. It gets to a point when maybe you don't give the credit to the QB who's playing at a level way below average. If it was, say, Tarvaris Jackson putting up the same stats people would be calling for his benching. He shouldn't get credit just because he's the only one on the team that people can name.

Oh and I don't really have anything against VY if my sig says otherwise, I just thought it was funny.

SenorGato
11-06-2007, 02:24 PM

We watching the same guy?

As a Jets fan who was formerly critical of D'Brick as a rookie (because of the size issues)...I'm very impressed by his play this year. The only guy who really beat him this year was Jarvis Green.

The poor play of Adrian Clarke is what's hurting our left side. D'Brick's been gold this year. I think he's a Pro Bowler within the next 2 years.

Ewing
11-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Relative to where they were selected.

Mario Williams, DE, Texans: D+
Reggie Bush, RB, Saints: D
Vince Young, QB, Titans: C+
D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Jets: B
A.J. Hawk, LB, Packers: B
Vernon Davis, TE, 49ers: D+
Michael Huff, S, Raiders: C
Donte Whitner, S, Bills: B
Ernie Sims, LB, Lions: B+
Matt Leinart, QB, Cardinals: D
Jay Cutler, QB, Broncos: B-
Haloti Ngata, DL, Ravens: B-
Kamerion Wimbley, LB, Browns: A-
Broderick Bunkley, DT, Eagles: B-
Tye Hill, CB, Rams: B-
Jason Allen, DB, Dolphins: D-
Chad Greenway, LB, Vikings: C-
Bobby Carpenter, LB, Cowboys: F
Antonio Cromartie, CB, Chargers: B-
Tamba Hali, DE, Chiefs: A
Laurence Maroney, RB, Patriots: C+
Manny Lawson, LB, 49ers: C+
Davin Joseph, G, Buccaneers: C-
Santonio Holmes, WR, Steelers: B
Johnathan Joseph, CB, Bengals: C
John McCargo, DT, Bills: B
DeAngelo Williams, RB, Panthers: D
Marcedes Lewis, TE, Jaguars: D
Nick Mangold, C, Jets: B+
Joseph Addai, RB, Colts: A+
Kelly Jennings, CB, Seahawks: C-
Mathias Kiwanuka, DE/LB, Giants: A+

I'm glad you think a guy who didn't start a game his rookie season is better than the reigning Rookie of the Year.

Ewing
11-06-2007, 05:51 PM

In spite of him? Have you even watched a Titans game or are you just talking out of your ass? He may not be putting up flashy numbers but without him the running game wouldn't been nearly as good.

Shiver
11-06-2007, 05:51 PM
I have watched three Titans' games. He is one of the league's worst Quarterbacks at this moment, upside aside.

Ewing
11-06-2007, 05:58 PM
I have watched three Titans' games. He is one of the league's worst Quarterbacks at this moment, upside aside.

If we're talking playing the pocket I would agree he's towards the bottom but overall quarterback play the guy is money. He's never going to put up sexy stats but he comes through at the right times. Anytime the team needs a big play or a comeback he's always there. Not to mention that without the threat of his speed our running game wouldn't be nearly as good. You think Chris Brown ran for 175 yards in week one because he's that good? No, it was because of the blocking up front and the defense scheming against Vince doing something.

SchizophrenicBatman
11-06-2007, 06:01 PM
The Titans would have beat the Panthers by 40 points last week if Vince Young hadn't thrown 2 interceptions in the end zone

The Titans still won by 13 points despite the fact that the Panthers got the ball off turnovers four times. Why? They scored none of the times off of turnovers thanks to the Titans defense

Ewing
11-06-2007, 06:09 PM
While I agree that Young needs to get better when it comes to interceptions he was facing a defense he had never seen before. He still shouldn't have been picked off but it's still very early in his career and I think he's only to get better with time. Cunningham didn't explode until his third year in the league and I expect the same from Vince. I think next year is the year he'll put it all together and become the quarterback many thought he could be.

bored of education
11-06-2007, 06:20 PM
TAMBA HALI IS A BEAST. Him and JAllen are awesome

marks01234
11-06-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm glad you think a guy who didn't start a game his rookie season is better than the reigning Rookie of the Year.

Notice I said relative to where they were drafted. I held Vince Young, Mario Williams and Reggie Bush to a much higher standard than Bunkley and the other selections.

bored of education
11-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Tamba in another year or two will be a force, he is still very raw. Only in his 4th year of playing football or 5th year

no love
11-06-2007, 07:11 PM
1a. Vernon Davis: C+/B- He has always showed flashes of amazing athleticism but he has been injured
1b. Manny Lawson: B- Play very solid in his first year and really looked like he was turning the corner, then got put on IR
3. Brandon Williams: F Did not contribute as a receiver and was not explosive as a returner, he was cut this year
4. Michael Robinson: C Developmental guy who has shown flashes but not much more, he get an average grade because of this position switch
5. Parys Haralson: D Was on IR all of last year and has not shown much this year
6. Delanie Walker: C- Has shown flashes of ability, but lacks as a blocker and has inconsistent hands
6. Marcus Hudson: B Has been playing well as a swing cornerback
6. Melvin Oliver: B+ Played solid last year but got hurt and is on IR this year
7. Vickiel Vaughn: F Special Teams player, got put on IR last year and was cut this year

So in the past two years we cut 2 players. And lost 3 to IR for at least one year. 6 players were switching positions so they are very developmental.

It seems that the strategy for this draft was to just increase the overall athleticism of the team, get some good character leaders and develop talent for the future (3-4 years down the road).