PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Chicago Bears General Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Smokey Joe
01-11-2009, 07:07 PM
seems like he preferred to be a DL coach over a DC. I'm ok with that. I'm glad one of the choices are off the map. This IMO is a good start to the offseason.

Just imposing another question for you guys. What would people think about making a move for a Braylon Edwards? I've been hearing there may be a possibility Cleveland puts him up as trade bait this offseason. Of course there is some concern with the validity of this rumor but I for one would prefer him over any other WR FA and he's young which is good.
I would be all for a move for Edwards. He was my preference in 05 if he fell to us, and so far he has been productive, but needs to work on his inconsistency. If all it cost was a second rounder, I think he'd be well worth the risk.

bearsfan_51
01-11-2009, 07:10 PM
I really can't see the Browns letting Braylon go for a 2nd. He's really not that big of a distraction, and while he does drop some passes, he's easily their best offensive player.

Smokey Joe
01-11-2009, 07:14 PM
I really can't see the Browns letting Braylon go for a 2nd. He's really not that big of a distraction, and while he does drop some passes, he's easily their best offensive player.
Yeah, I agree. Plus, he's a free agent after the year, so I think they'd be willing to give him 1 more year.

Also, I doubt we'd ever make a move like that in the first place.

Smokey Joe
01-11-2009, 07:52 PM
I was just thinking about something... Is the reason why we fired Wilkes because Herm Edwards is likely out the door in Kansas City, and we plan on aggressively going after Edwards to be our DB coach? He and Lovie are good friends as well, and perhaps Edwards, like Marinelli, would like to go back to coaching his old position.

I wouldn't like Edwards as DC because he is known for terrible game planning, and he's never been a DC before, but as an expensive DB coach, I'd be all for it.

BeerBaron
01-11-2009, 08:13 PM
I was just thinking about something... Is the reason why we fired Wilkes because Herm Edwards is likely out the door in Kansas City, and we plan on aggressively going after Edwards to be our DB coach? He and Lovie are good friends as well, and perhaps Edwards, like Marinelli, would like to go back to coaching his old position.

I wouldn't like Edwards as DC because he is known for terrible game planning, and he's never been a DC before, but as an expensive DB coach, I'd be all for it.

I think some other team could lull Herm into being a defensive coordinator. I think they'll see him as a fairly successful Head Coach even if he really wasn't because he comes off sounding pretty good. They'll overlook his lack of coordinating expereince because of it.

Smokey Joe
01-11-2009, 08:16 PM
I think some other team could lull Herm into being a defensive coordinator. I think they'll see him as a fairly successful Head Coach even if he really wasn't because he comes off sounding pretty good. They'll overlook his lack of coordinating expereince because of it.
How could he turn down an offer as DB coach and co-assistant HC!*!)!!?

bearsfan_51
01-11-2009, 09:32 PM
I think we fired Steve Wilks because he didn't do a very good job as our secondary coach.

I expect that we'll have our position coaches filled in the next few days, probably before the Chiefs' situation is known.

pellepelle_10
01-11-2009, 11:59 PM

Smokey,

As much as I would love to have Herm our db coach it would be a cold day before he settled for this type of position. I could see some team offering him an opportunity to stay a HC. I would be shocked if he ended up as a coordinator or position coach for anyone. JMO though.

SFbear
01-12-2009, 12:07 PM
I think we fired Steve Wilks because he didn't do a very good job as our secondary coach.

I expect that we'll have our position coaches filled in the next few days, probably before the Chiefs' situation is known.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2008/nfcnorth011009.htm

PFW says that the rumor is Wilks was let go for fighting with Babich. Who knows.

Gay Ork Wang
01-12-2009, 12:22 PM
**** babich, i want a DC that kinda lets us not be killed by kerry collins

regoob2
01-12-2009, 12:35 PM
I hope we starting jamming the WR at the line again next season. Not sure why we stopped doing that.

Gay Ork Wang
01-12-2009, 12:59 PM
We need to give the other team chances to beat us

bearsfan_51
01-12-2009, 01:34 PM
I hope we starting jamming the WR at the line again next season. Not sure why we stopped doing that.
Because we don't have a free safety on the entire team.

regoob2
01-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Because we don't have a free safety on the entire team.Seam Smith declared so lets hope he falls.

Gay Ork Wang
01-13-2009, 07:48 AM
btw, Chargers losing definitely gives us the #18 pick

BeerBaron
01-13-2009, 09:23 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1374412,CST-SPT-carol13.article

Brendan Ayanbadejo says he loved his time in Chicago but that we "lacked heart and soul."

And I seem to be in agreement.

Gay Ork Wang
01-13-2009, 09:32 AM
I loved Ayanbadeyo and i think we dont lack it, the players just sometimes tend to decide not to show it

regoob2
01-13-2009, 10:41 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1374412,CST-SPT-carol13.article

Brendan Ayanbadejo says he loved his time in Chicago but that we "lacked heart and soul."

And I seem to be in agreement.
I cant disagree with that.

SFbear
01-13-2009, 12:28 PM
John Hoke as DB coach

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=5525

Former Houston Texans DB coach.

Gay Ork Wang
01-13-2009, 12:31 PM
cause the houston texans secondary is so awesomely good...

bearsfan_51
01-13-2009, 12:38 PM
They also don't have any talent. Lordy you people gripe about a lot of stuff.

I think it's a good hire. He's still relatively young and has a lot of experience in the NFL and college ranks. He held onto his job through a coaching change in Houston, and Steve Spurrier thought enough of him to make him his defensive coordinator at Florida. Makes sense.

Gay Ork Wang
01-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Yea, we just have to see i guess.

Smokey Joe
01-13-2009, 02:31 PM
he's also an ex-bear...

Smokey Joe
01-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Also, in other news, Lovie announced he'll be taking over defensive play calling duties, and Babich will go back to coaching linebackers (but keeps the title of DC).

Gay Ork Wang
01-13-2009, 02:48 PM
lol so basically we have a HC/DC and a LB coach who gets paid like a DC?

Smokey Joe
01-13-2009, 03:23 PM
lol so basically we have a HC/DC and a LB coach who gets paid like a DC?
Well, our Dline coach is the 2nd highest paid coach on the team, behind only Lovie. And Babich is dirt cheap as far as DC's go.

regoob2
01-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Also, in other news, Lovie announced he'll be taking over defensive play calling duties, and Babich will go back to coaching linebackers (but keeps the title of DC).
Here's the Link. http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/01/lovie_to_call_the_defense_babi.html (http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/01/lovie_to_call_the_defense_babi.html)

awfullyquiet
01-13-2009, 03:46 PM
there needs to be better connotations with babich.

like 'life with babich' or 'babich and the bear'.
'you better watch your babich!'

Gay Ork Wang
01-13-2009, 03:53 PM
to babich: everyone knows sth/so. sucks but doesnt want to admit it altough its shown by certain gestures or actions

bearsfan_51
01-13-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm fine with the move. This will take power away from Babich and put it squarely on Lovie. If the defense/team fails next year, Lovie should be the next to go. If they don't, fantastic, job well done.

Smokey Joe
01-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Apparently after the superbowl, Tommie Harris is heading to Florida to work with Marinelli and Warren Sapp... giggity, giggity, goo!

Gay Ork Wang
01-14-2009, 10:34 AM
wow thats sounds awesome

regoob2
01-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Apparently after the superbowl, Tommie Harris is heading to Florida to work with Marinelli and Warren Sapp... giggity, giggity, goo!
That is the best news I've read in a while.

Edit: Where did you hear this?

SFbear
01-14-2009, 11:45 AM

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/01/sapp_plans_to_join_marinelli_i.html

"If you want to be in that class with me and those other two dudes, we're going to have to look each other in the eye and we're going to have to talk about this the right way and see what he's thinking. Because if he's not thinking about it the right way, with me and Rod, we're going to get some work out of Tommie"

Gay Ork Wang
01-14-2009, 06:10 PM
“But at the same time, there’s a good chance that [free agent-to-be] Rex Grossman won’t be with us next year. Rex has other options and things like that. I think as much as anything, Jerry was probably talking about that, of bringing in another quarterback. Just in general, you need so many quarterbacks in here.

YES ************!

BeerBaron
01-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Did anyone honestly see us seriously bringing Rexy back? He's been needing to leave for about 2 seasons now......

Gay Ork Wang
01-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Did anyone honestly see us seriously bringing Rexy back? He's been needing to leave for about 2 seasons now......
yes and thats why i was worried...he was supposed to leave so long ago already

MidwayMonster31
01-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Good thing Grossman is probably leaving, that way, fans can stop treating him like a convicted child molester. I also like that Harris is starting early in training with Marinelli and working with Warren Sapp. We could also bring in one more guy.

Race for the Heisman
01-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Bring back Sapp! Nah...

Smokey Joe
01-15-2009, 11:37 AM
There have some rumors/indications that we will make a hard push for a top free agent this offseason. No real indication who, but probably one of the FA dlinemen.

regoob2
01-15-2009, 11:43 AM
There have some rumors/indications that we will make a hard push for a top free agent this offseason. No real indication who, but probably one of the FA dlinemen.Where did you hear that?

pellepelle_10
01-15-2009, 12:21 PM

Check out the link Warren Sapp 1/14/2009 on this website. A lot of you will appreciate what he says here.

http://www.670thescore.com/pages/3596918.php

Gay Ork Wang
01-15-2009, 05:02 PM
lets pray that Marinelli is awesome and can teach mark anderson some things

regoob2
01-15-2009, 06:08 PM
lets pray that Marinelli is awesome and can teach mark anderson some things
If he and Sapp can get Harris going id be happy. Anderson would be a bonus.

pellepelle_10
01-15-2009, 09:53 PM
I don't know if many of you are pumped after hearing this but I sure am. Warren Sapp and Harris doing a one on one is going to be great. I just hope he lights some fire under his butt. We really need some fire on the D-Line next season. I also like how Sapp said by the time offenses felt the wrath of Marinelli and the D-Line and Lovie and the LB's it was a walk for Lynch and the db's. I agree that if the D-Line and LB's cause havoc it will lighten it up tremendously for the secondary.

regoob2
01-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Warren Sapp could be a great coach if he wanted too.

pellepelle_10
01-15-2009, 11:33 PM
A lot of people haven't mentioned this person but there is someone I think would really benefit from Marinelle.

I'm going out on a limb but I really REALLY think with Marinelli's presence Alex Brown could shock alot of people next season. The guy has the work ethic and has been one of the lines leaders. He's been one of the most passionate players defensively all season. I really think Marinelli can help him get over the hump with his coaching. I think all players will benefit but I think a guy like Brown who is very passionate about the game will take the most out of it. Can we see 10 sacks from Brown next season??

Gay Ork Wang
01-16-2009, 02:00 AM
i think Idonije could benefit the most

regoob2
01-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Idonije is a nice player. I dont think he'll ever be more than depth and a great ST player. He'd be better at the 5-tech imo.

shady00
01-17-2009, 06:07 PM
We were talking about Peppers in the draft forum so I though I'd move it in here.

Aren't we 20m under the cap? Aren't we desperately lacking pass rush? Does anybody think we've got a serious shot at getting Peppers? I think we should be going after him.

bearsfan_51
01-17-2009, 06:10 PM
I really wish people would chill on the Peppers/Suggs front.

There are 32 teams that are going to be interested in them, almost all of them will have a ton of cap money, there's no particular reason to believe they would come here than any other.

Let's focus on things that actually are going to happen, like the draft, than waste so much energy talking about signing players that aren't going to happen.

shady00
01-17-2009, 06:47 PM
I really wish people would chill on the Peppers/Suggs front.

There are 32 teams that are going to be interested in them, almost all of them will have a ton of cap money, there's no particular reason to believe they would come here than any other.

Let's focus on things that actually are going to happen, like the draft, than waste so much energy talking about signing players that aren't going to happen.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h88/viktorzd/prod.jpg

Smokey Joe
01-18-2009, 08:13 PM
We gotta sign Suggs in the offseason. It won't be cheap, but we will be about 25 million under the cap, and if we cut Ogunleye, that's clearing up almost 5 million right there.

Smokey Joe
01-19-2009, 09:45 AM
This was a pretty disgusting read: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-19-bears-jerry-angelo-chicagjan19,0,6072150.story

Jerry Angelo pretty much said that Mike Brown will not be back and Manning will be the FS. The only good thing he said is the Vasher has to earn his way back on to the team and starting lineup.

However, does it make too much sense to get a real FS, leave Manning at Nickel Corner (where he's actually played well at and improved, unlike at FS where he has consistently sucked), and have Brown and Payne rotate at SS?

BeerBaron
01-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Blegh. Dan Manning put where he needs to make some tackles makes me ill.

bearsfan_51
01-19-2009, 11:17 AM
You're reading a bit into that, but it could very well be. Considering how great our run defense was this year and how awful our pass defense was, I'd be willing to sacrifice a bit in the run game to get a safety that can actually cover half the field.

I don't love Manning at FS, but I will say this, Mike Brown at FS was a ******* joke this year. I'm glad Jerry realizes he has no value to us anymore.

Smokey Joe
01-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Mike Brown was an awful FS. That's why later on we put Brown at SS and Payne at FS. The only thing was that Payne was even worse at FS. Brown and Payne rotating at SS would be perfect. It'd keep both of them fresh, and Brown is a better SS then Payne.

MidwayMonster31
01-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Brown was much better in run-support as the SS. Unfortunately, he also got hurt that way. Manning is fast, but he doesn't play zone that well. He was just fine as the nickelback, and he blitzed well. We could use a coverage safety more than anything. Sherrod Martin or Sean Smith could work.

regoob2
01-19-2009, 02:52 PM
You're reading a bit into that, but it could very well be. Considering how great our run defense was this year and how awful our pass defense was, I'd be willing to sacrifice a bit in the run game to get a safety that can actually cover half the field.

I don't love Manning at FS, but I will say this, Mike Brown at FS was a ******* joke this year. I'm glad Jerry realizes he has no value to us anymore.Agreed.

Mike Brown was an awful FS. That's why later on we put Brown at SS and Payne at FS. The only thing was that Payne was even worse at FS. Brown and Payne rotating at SS would be perfect. It'd keep both of them fresh, and Brown is a better SS then Payne.There not RBs. You shouldnt need a breather at SS. We need to move on from Brown.

regoob2
01-19-2009, 02:55 PM
The main problem with Manning was that he was over agressive. He played well at times and he is probably our best FS.

Smokey Joe
01-19-2009, 02:57 PM
One, Brown, even with his severe injury concerns, is a much better player than Payne. Brown is also a leader on the team, and maybe having him play about half a game instead of a full game would help keep his body from breaking down.

Two, bringing back Brown would be very cheap. Brown and Payne would be a solid duo at SS, all we need is a FS. Also, if we wanted to, in obvious running situations, we could keep Brown in at SS and Payne in a FS. Having a rotation of 3 safeties would make a whole lot of sense in our situation.

Smokey Joe
01-19-2009, 03:02 PM
The main problem with Manning was that he was over agressive. He played well at times and he is probably our best FS.
Yeah, he is our best FS, but that's not saying much. He's a terrible FS, but made great strides at nickel, but now we're gonna move him again. We are doing basically what the Giants are doing to Kiwi by switching him from position to position. Was a DE in college and got shifted to LB. Then he got moved back DE, and now he might get moved back to LB when he finally started to progress as DE. With Manning, we moved him from CB to FS, back to CB, then back to FS, then to nickel back, and then back to FS. My god, it's obvious who's to blame for Manning's development, it's the coaching staff.

Manning is a very good nickel back and should stay there. If we get a FS, bring back Brown, and if Vasher gets his head out of his ass, we're looking at a pretty solid secondary.

CB: Tillman (McBride)
SS: Brown (Payne)
FS: Draftee/FA (Steltz)
CB: Vasher (Graham)
NICKEL: Manning (Bowman)

regoob2
01-19-2009, 03:03 PM
One, Brown, even with his severe injury concerns, is a much better player than Payne. Brown is also a leader on the team, and maybe having him play about half a game instead of a full game would help keep his body from breaking down.

Two, bringing back Brown would be very cheap. Brown and Payne would be a solid duo at SS, all we need is a FS. Also, if we wanted to, in obvious running situations, we could keep Brown in at SS and Payne in a FS. Having a rotation of 3 safeties would make a whole lot of sense in our situation.
I doubt Brown would want to split time. I wish him the best but I hope we dont resign him.

regoob2
01-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Yeah, he is our best FS, but that's not saying much. He's a terrible FS, but made great strides at nickel, but now we're gonna move him again. We are doing basically what the Giants are doing to Kiwi by switching him from position to position. Was a DE in college and got shifted to LB. Then he got moved back DE, and now he might get moved back to LB when he finally started to progress as DE. With Manning, we moved him from CB to FS, back to CB, then back to FS, then to nickel back, and then back to FS. My god, it's obvious who's to blame for Manning's development, it's the coaching staff.

Manning is a very good nickel back and should stay there. If we get a FS, bring back Brown, and if Vasher gets his head out of his ass, we're looking at a pretty solid secondary.

CB: Tillman (McBride)
SS: Brown (Payne)
FS: Draftee/FA (Steltz)
CB: Vasher (Graham)
NICKEL: Manning (Bowman)Id say hes slightly better at nickel than FS. He wasnt great in coverage at nickel. He was a good blitzer though. We need him at FS so that's where he should go. Id prefer Manning over a rookie.

Smokey Joe
01-19-2009, 03:26 PM
Id say hes slightly better at nickel than FS. He wasnt great in coverage at nickel. He was a good blitzer though. We need him at FS so that's where he should go. Id prefer Manning over a rookie.
Slightly? Have you not seen him play FS? He makes terrible reads at safety causing big plays, and is a terrible tackler. At nickel, it's a lot easier for him because he is a solid cover guy and doesn't have the same run-pass responsibilities like he does at safety. Also, like you said, he's an effective blitzer off the edge. IMO, it's not even close, Manning as Nickel >>>>> as FS.

Besides, playing nickel keeps him rested for kickoffs as well, as he wouldn't have to be on D as much as he would if were at FS.

regoob2
01-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Slightly? Have you not seen him play FS? He makes terrible reads at safety causing big plays, and is a terrible tackler. At nickel, it's a lot easier for him because he is a solid cover guy and doesn't have the same run-pass responsibilities like he does at safety. Also, like you said, he's an effective blitzer off the edge. IMO, it's not even close, Manning as Nickel >>>>> as FS.

Besides, playing nickel keeps him rested for kickoffs as well, as he wouldn't have to be on D as much as he would if were at FS.He doesnt have to support the run at nickel?

Smokey Joe
01-19-2009, 03:36 PM
He does, but not as much as at FS. At FS, you have to read pass or run right away. At corner or nickel, you read pass first all the time, and then play the run when you see it's a run.

regoob2
01-19-2009, 04:15 PM
He does, but not as much as at FS. At FS, you have to read pass or run right away. At corner or nickel, you read pass first all the time, and then play the run when you see it's a run.Id prefer our FS to read pass first everyplay.

Smokey Joe
01-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Id prefer our FS to read pass first everyplay.
lol, it doesn't work like that. A safety usually has to play the pass as much as the run. And Manning has shown that he can't do that.

BeerBaron
01-19-2009, 04:43 PM
lol, it doesn't work like that. A safety usually has to play the pass as much as the run. And Manning has shown that he can't do that.

Manning can't (and doesn't seem to try very hard to) tackle no matter where he is. I think he's better as a nickel back because he can just add a body to the "wash" and stuff up the runner that way.

Could you imagine if say, AP (the good one) broke through our front 7 and it were he and Manning 1 on 1......Manning dives half heartedly at his legs, AP jumps him....TD.

regoob2
01-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Ok, but his #1 job is over the top pass coverage. Not a lot of people knock Ed Reed for not coming up and supporting the run quick enough.

bearsfan_51
01-19-2009, 07:53 PM
I really don't prefer Brown over Payne at SS. Brown was often out of position this year, both in run and pass support. He's clearly on the decline, it would make no sense for a team that is unlikely to compete for a Superbowl to resign him. Payne is a solid starter in my mind, and considering this was his first year as a starter I expect him to continue to improve. Keep in mind that he came from a small college as well. I think the arrow is pointing up on the kid, and I'm glad they are keeping him where he is.

SFbear
01-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Pass rusher a low priority

While Smith didn't go into detail on what his defense will need, sources say the Bears won't be searching for a pass rusher in free agency because they are convinced new line coach Rod Marinelli can make the current group good enough to dominate without throwing big money at the position. But offensive coordinator Ron Turner didn't hesitate when asked what would make his group better.

''Obviously a receiver, and we need to continue to get depth on the offensive line,'' Turner said. ''Those are the biggest things. We'll explore everything and look at all avenues.''

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1388849,CST-SPT-mully21.article

Sounds like receiver or o-line in FA and DE in the draft(if at all). Honestly they're probably putting too much faith in Marinelli.

Smokey Joe
01-21-2009, 08:03 PM
Well, Mark Anderson his rookie season showed a wide variety of moves and was actually good not by fluke. But after we changed DLine coaches and fired Ron Turner, Mark Anderson decided to go strictly with the wide outside speed rush 99.9% of the time. Perhaps getting a competent DLine coach who has been able to turn around many DLinemen will be able to work his magic with Anderson and the rest of the DLine.

I also would not mind getting me some B.J. Raji in the first. Talk about the whole package at NT.

BeerBaron
01-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Pass rusher a low priority

While Smith didn't go into detail on what his defense will need, sources say the Bears won't be searching for a pass rusher in free agency because they are convinced new line coach Rod Marinelli can make the current group good enough to dominate without throwing big money at the position. But offensive coordinator Ron Turner didn't hesitate when asked what would make his group better.

''Obviously a receiver, and we need to continue to get depth on the offensive line,'' Turner said. ''Those are the biggest things. We'll explore everything and look at all avenues.''

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1388849,CST-SPT-mully21.article

Sounds like receiver or o-line in FA and DE in the draft(if at all). Honestly they're probably putting too much faith in Marinelli.

Hmm...well, hopefully we get a receiver who's not Maclin in the first (Orton can't hit the speedy deep threat we do have....blah...) and we draft some maulers at OG and RT after that.

And no Smokey, they don't have to be Herman Johnsons, but I'd like someone that we can be confident running behind and a line of Williams-Beekman-Kreutz-Garza-Tait does not provide anyone like that.

Geo
01-21-2009, 08:25 PM
I believe that story, in that the Bears won't go for a DE in free agency. The Draft though is a different story altogether, they need youth and speed. Marinelli will be coaching talented youngsters up in the span of their rookie contracts.

BeerBaron
01-21-2009, 08:34 PM
I believe that story, in that the Bears won't go for a DE in free agency. The Draft though is a different story altogether, they need youth and speed. Marinelli will be coaching talented youngsters up in the span of their rookie contracts.

You know, I've thought about this, and I think that if Marinelli has success and the Bears as a team are successful next year, we could lose him to someone else as a defensive coordinator.

I know we wouldn't have to allow him to leave except for a head coaching job but I doubt we'd hold him back from the opportunity.

Geo
01-21-2009, 09:17 PM
I don't think you to worry too too much, BB. Marinelli has never been a defensive coordinator in the pros, I don't know if he was in a previous job before joining the Tampa staff with Dungy, but definitely not in the pros. And I doubt he'll get hired for that position elsewhere, but as a DL coach, there will be interest.

In fact, this is only a feeling I have, but there seems to be almost a clear demarcation between defensive line coaches (even exceptional ones) and defensive coordinators. There just doesn't seem to be much overlap between the two, especially compared to linebacker coaches and secondary coaches, although this may be more of a recent development in the last decade or so.

If anything, a DL coach is much more likely to be head coach material in pros or college ... and I wouldn't worry about that with Marinelli. Not after how badly he bombed in Detroit.

BeerBaron
01-21-2009, 11:38 PM
I don't think you to worry too too much, BB. Marinelli has never been a defensive coordinator in the pros, I don't know if he was in a previous job before joining the Tampa staff with Dungy, but definitely not in the pros. And I doubt he'll get hired for that position elsewhere, but as a DL coach, there will be interest.

In fact, this is only a feeling I have, but there seems to be almost a clear demarcation between defensive line coaches (even exceptional ones) and defensive coordinators. There just doesn't seem to be much overlap between the two, especially compared to linebacker coaches and secondary coaches, although this may be more of a recent development in the last decade or so.

If anything, a DL coach is much more likely to be head coach material in pros or college ... and I wouldn't worry about that with Marinelli. Not after how badly he bombed in Detroit.

All true, but I think he certainly would have been a defensive coordinator already in his career if Tampa had allowed them. They, unlike a lot of teams, won't let their assistant coaches go become coordinators elsewhere. (The NFL says you only have to if its for a head coaching job and the guy is still under contract. Also why it took Mike Tomlin so long to get into coaching....he was trapped in Tampa)

So my thinking is that if some team needs a defensive coordinator next season and sees that Marinelli was being successful again as a d-line coach, they might try to grab him. And I don't see the Bears forcing him to stay since most people definitely view position coach to coordinator as a true promotion.

bearsfan_51
01-22-2009, 12:43 AM
Marinelli makes enough as assistant head coach to stay for the long term. The only way I see him leaving (outside of a Lovie firing) is to maybe take a head coaching job in the NFL, but he has been an NFL'er for a long time so even that seems unlikely.

SFbear
01-22-2009, 12:51 AM
But after we changed DLine coaches and fired Ron Turner...

Hmm. Wishful thinking?

I believe the Assistant HC title we gave Marinelli basically guarantees that no other team can hire him as anything other than a HC and we know that ain't happening. I think Marinelli is exactly where he wants to be doing what he does best.

Gay Ork Wang
01-22-2009, 06:20 AM
wasnt Lovie going to make him his DC when he first came?

BeerBaron
01-22-2009, 09:34 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-22-bears-chicagojan22,0,1730681.story

mehhh....Idonije went and hired Rosenhaus. That probably complicates extending him a bit for a reasonable price.

regoob2
01-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Idonije is overrated. Hes a great STer and thats it.

Gay Ork Wang
01-22-2009, 10:58 AM
yea, cause his impact this year was on STer

regoob2
01-22-2009, 11:44 AM
yea, cause his impact this year was on STerIt was. He got 3 sacks this year and thats his best season ever in the pros. He doesnt have any upside.

BeerBaron
01-22-2009, 12:41 PM
It was. He got 3 sacks this year and thats his best season ever in the pros. He doesnt have any upside.

Times I saw him on the d-line he was getting more pressure and drawing more blockers than anyone else on our suddenly crap d-line.

Gay Ork Wang
01-22-2009, 12:53 PM
together. He was playing hard. i dont want him to be a great player, but he is good no doubt

Smokey Joe
01-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Idonije is someone everyone would want on their team. He's a very good special teamer, and a really good situational pass rushing DT, or perhaps even sometimes a goalline DE.

We thought we wouldn't lose much when we let Ayanbadejo walk, but we were wrong. Special Teams is a LOT more important then what people give it credit for, and Idonije has turned into more then just a special teams player as well.

Plus, like I always say, if we ever switch to a 3-4, Idonije would be a good fit as a 5-tech.

Gay Ork Wang
01-23-2009, 11:47 AM
We play all 4 championship games

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-23-2009, 05:47 PM
FAIL

You must not watch this guy play

lol @ this guy negging me for the William Moore comment.

Welcome to reality.

BF51 - Has your stance changed on Moore yet?

bearsfan_51
01-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Are you talking about William Moore? If so, I've never been a fan. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

I don't like Moore on this team in particular, because he's a strong safety and we don't need one.

My point, which I do stand by, is that when I make mocks I could give a **** less what fans think of the value of a player, since that has no bearing on what will actually happen. Everything is still pointing to Moore in the 1st round, until the combine or something drastic happens I have seen nothing to change that. But I hope we don't take him.

tblain1
01-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Marinelli makes enough as assistant head coach to stay for the long term. The only way I see him leaving (outside of a Lovie firing) is to maybe take a head coaching job in the NFL, but he has been an NFL'er for a long time so even that seems unlikely.

I see very little risk in Marinelli becoming a HC or DC anytime soon.

1) If you believe in curses, try to find a Lions head coach who has coached anywhere after being fired or leaving the Lions.
2) Marinelli hasn't been a DC before. He came to Detroit as a DL coach and assistant.
3) As a defensive-minded head coach his team's defense was 32nd in the league the past TWO YEARs.

No matter how he does, I don't think he will get a 2nd chance from another team within the next 2 years to be anything more than a DL coach (and based on the job he took in Chicago I don't think he wants to for a while). He is safe in Chicago, and knowing Lovie's love for his guys, if Angelo fires Babich, Marinelli could be next in line anyway.

shady00
01-26-2009, 03:39 PM
It was. He got 3 sacks this year
Hmm, well that's about 70% of our sack production, I'll take it

Gay Ork Wang
01-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Wow, Matt Forte is tied for most First Downs by RB this season with Portis ( which is impressive since he missed time) and Turner

BeerBaron
01-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Wow, Matt Forte is tied for most First Downs by RB this season with Portis ( which is impressive since he missed time) and Turner

He did touch the ball on like, 5555% of our offensive plays. I just hope he doesn't break down next year like backs with that many touches sometimes do....he IS our offense.

DaBears0530
01-30-2009, 10:19 AM
I dont know about this...

Byron Leftwich should have some suitors this offseason, given the relative disorder within some teams' quarterbacking ranks, and he told a group of reporters on Thursday that he is back to being "hot" in the eyes of the national media, according to Vic Carucci of NFL.com.

Leftwich then tempered that statement, saying, "I'm warm, at least."

The former Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback's best game of the season came in Week 9, completing 7 of 10 passes for 129 yards and a touchdown against the washington Redskins. He also saw some action in the Week 17 blowout of the Cleveland Browns, going 7-for-12 for 80 yards.

Leftwich has previously told the Chicago Sun-Times that he'd be a good fit in Chicago, and he could also draw interest from the Minnesota Vikings, Kansas City Chiefs and San Francisco 49ers.

BeerBaron
01-30-2009, 10:49 AM
If we did bring in Leftwich, he wouldn't be any more than a veteran backup.

For better or for worse, barring something completely wild, Orton is going to be our starter next year.

He'll, for the first time in his career, be able to go through an offseason, training camp, and the preseason as the established starter. He won't have to split reps like he did last year with Rexy, and I want to see what he can do with a full offseason working fully with the first team under his belt.

Like I've said before, here's what I want us to do with the QB situation.

Let Orton be the starter and get all the first team reps. Sign a veteran backup (my favorite candidate is Charlie Batch.) And then maybe draft a late round guy with some potential to be developed. Chase Holbrook, Jason Boltus, Mike Teel, Tom Brandstater, etc come to mind. They have great size with potential but some serious flaws too that will make them available in the late rounds. Then we can also factor in Caleb Hanie.

Let Orton be starter, and then let the other 3 battle it out for the backup and #3 job. Cut the 3rd place loser.

See what Orton can do all season. If he's good, then great. If he were to get hurt, we could put the veteran backup in. If he outright sucks it up, we could let Hanie get some starting experience to see what he brings to the table.

regoob2
01-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Leftwich would be a bad fit. No thanks.

Gay Ork Wang
01-30-2009, 12:45 PM
why would he be a bad fit?

MidwayMonster31
01-30-2009, 12:58 PM
why would he be a bad fit?I don't know how good a fit Leftwich would be. The biggest concerns I have with him is mobility and timing. There aren't too many good quarterbacks out there. Maybe taking a flyer on Ryan Fitzpatrick or Leftwich would work.
PS: I know you've had that name for some time and I never could figure out why, did you lose a bet here or something?

BeerBaron
01-30-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm still a fan of Charlie Batch....just for the record.

regoob2
01-30-2009, 01:11 PM
why would he be a bad fit?
He failed in Jacksonville who runs a similar quick, short pass system. Leftwich sucks.

MidwayMonster31
01-30-2009, 02:14 PM
What do you guys think about trading for Kellen Clemens? The Jets like Brett Ratliff better. I also think that Clemens got a raw deal from Mangini. He has a good arm, even though he has not proven much. If we traded a 6th or 7th round pick for him would that work?

regoob2
01-30-2009, 03:18 PM
What do you guys think about trading for Kellen Clemens? The Jets like Brett Ratliff better. I also think that Clemens got a raw deal from Mangini. He has a good arm, even though he has not proven much. If we traded a 6th or 7th round pick for him would that work?
It really depends on what you mean by work. I dont think they'll trade him though.

Race for the Heisman
01-30-2009, 04:02 PM
It really depends on what you mean by work. I dont think they'll trade him though.

I agree. The limited starts he has combined with his potential (since it isn't clear what he might develop into) makes him quite valuable for a team with a lot of uncertainty at the quarterback position.

shady00
01-31-2009, 01:21 PM
What do you guys think about trading for Kellen Clemens?
I don't think he's worth giving anything up.

bearsfan_51
02-03-2009, 12:33 AM
The Bears are expected to try to re-sign free agent OT John St. Clair with the intention of starting him at right tackle.

St. Clair's pass protection woes would be less obvious on the strong side after he gave up a high volume of sacks on Kyle Orton's blind side last year. The Bears would likely have him battle it out with incumbent RT John Tait.
If this were true, I think you could assume the Bears just cut Tait, which would be a bold but likely smart move.

Then again, this article is based mostly on speculation.

BeerBaron
02-03-2009, 01:05 AM
If this were true, I think you could assume the Bears just cut Tait, which would be a bold but likely smart move.

Thats some good news. Probably Tait's time to go as it is....we don't need to keep him around a year longer than we should like we did Miller.

regoob2
02-03-2009, 10:12 AM

Id be ok with that. We should take a RT in the draft then. I hope we dont overpay on St Clair.

Gay Ork Wang
02-03-2009, 10:16 AM
thats one good thing, we dont shy away from cutting guys that underperformed.

Btw St.CLair gave up more sacks than Backus

regoob2
02-03-2009, 11:23 AM
thats one good thing, we dont shy away from cutting guys that underperformed.

Btw St.CLair gave up more sacks than Backus
He's a better fit at RT though. I think he can do better or at least as well as Tait for half the price and for a few more years.

Smokey Joe
02-03-2009, 01:07 PM

I saw this about a week ago. Resign St. Clair, and cut Tait to get back some of that money.

dabears10
02-03-2009, 03:23 PM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=5570

Just seems like QB depth. My family is excited as my mother plays softball with his stepmother and we go to the same church as his grandmother. Also, I remember once playing a game of pickup football with him. It was not pretty as I was like 4 years younger and 12 while he was 16.

BeerBaron
02-03-2009, 05:08 PM

Just seems like QB depth. My family is excited as my mother plays softball with his stepmother and we go to the same church as his grandmother. Also, I remember once playing a game of pickup football with him. It was not pretty as I was like 4 years younger and 12 while he was 16.

I liked him in college...I hoped he would do well for himself.

I doubt he sticks around beyond camp though.

Smokey Joe
02-03-2009, 06:39 PM

You live in Arlington Heights?

dabears10
02-03-2009, 08:24 PM
You live in Arlington Heights?

Yes sir. Action Heights represent. Zbikowski was also at that game and he was a real dick. Apparently since he's gotten in the pros he's chilled a lot. He goes to fox and hound in buffalo grove when he's in town apparently.

Smokey Joe
02-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Yes sir. Action Heights represent. Zbikowski was also at that game and he was a real dick. Apparently since he's gotten in the pros he's chilled a lot. He goes to fox and hound in buffalo grove when he's in town apparently.
Zbikowski came to speak to my high school football team last year right before the combine I think it was. He seemed like a really cool guy, but yeah, I could have seen him being a dick in his high school years.

However, since we're on the subject of Arlington Heights, St. Viator sucks...

dabears10
02-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Zbikowski came to speak to my high school football team last year right before the combine I think it was. He seemed like a really cool guy, but yeah, I could have seen him being a dick in his high school years.

However, since we're on the subject of Arlington Heights, St. Viator sucks...

There is no argument here.

shady00
02-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Can someone tell me about Basanez, what kind of arm he has.

Smokey Joe
02-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Can someone tell me about Basanez, what kind of arm he has.

From what I recall from his Wildcat days, he has decent arm strength, but good accuracy and a quick release. I might be wrong on this though.

DaBears0530
02-04-2009, 10:35 AM
A homecoming for Rice?
Simeon Rice | Colts | Interested: Bears? Cardinals?
Veteran defensive end Simeon Rice has indicated that he's attempting to make a comeback into the NFL, and Brad Biggs of the Chicago Sun-Times Inside the Bears blog has reason to believe it will be with the Chicago Bears.

Rice played football for Mount Carmel High School, an institution on Chicago's south side that also produced Donovan McNabb, before setting the Big Ten's sack record while at the University of Illinois. While Rice is No. 13 on the NFL's all-time career sacks list, his most productive period coincided with Bears defensive line coach Rod Marinelli's five-year stint as defensive line coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. During that time, Rice had 67.5 sacks, including 15.5 the year the Bucs won Super Bowl XXXVII.

In 2007, his last active season, Rice played in eight games combined for the Denver Broncos and Indianapolis Colts, finishing with nine tackles and one sack.

A previous report by the Arizona Republic's Dan Bickley had Rice expressing interest in a return to the Arizona Cardinals, the franchise that drafted him third overall in 1996. "I've already talked to (Cardinals General Manager) Rod Graves about it," Rice told Bickley. "He knows the score." This would be quite alarming to the team's fanbase, as he previously referred to the organization as the "armpit of the NFL" according to USA Today.

I dont know about this i think hes washed up.

Gay Ork Wang
02-04-2009, 10:39 AM
maybe he could teach someone something but yea washed up. was cut by the Denver Broncos...

but maybe he and Marinelli could do something

bearsfan_51
02-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Let him come into camp and compete. I really doubt we'd give him anything more than the vet minimum.

regoob2
02-04-2009, 02:05 PM
I doubt Rice would make the team. I assume he wont want to play on special teams. We'll see.

MidwayMonster31
02-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Rice probably won't be more than a camp invite. Maybe he could be a good D-Line coach for someone else down the road. But I don't see him doing much here.

Gay Ork Wang
02-05-2009, 09:35 AM
someone asked about Adrian peterson at FB. we'd obviously have to see about his run blocking and hed have to bulk up, but i dont think its that idea is that bad

VoteLynnSwan
02-05-2009, 09:41 AM
someone asked about Adrian peterson at FB. we'd obviously have to see about his run blocking and hed have to bulk up, but i dont think its that idea is that bad

having Peterson bulk up i think would hurt on special teams, where he is most effective.

Gay Ork Wang
02-05-2009, 09:42 AM
i dont think he even played that much on ST and Garrett Wolfe is replacing him nicely

regoob2
02-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Peterson looks maxed out at 210.

BeerBaron
02-05-2009, 04:02 PM
i dont think he even played that much on ST and Garrett Wolfe is replacing him nicely

Really? I remember him being out there quite a bit still....he got that penalty in I think the 2nd Vikings game that just added to us crashing there....

Gay Ork Wang
02-05-2009, 04:10 PM
he made one in the packers game, i just dont remember him being a big impact

regoob2
02-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Anyone know where I can get good pics of Bears players. Mainly Kevin Payne at the moment. Will +rep!

shady00
02-07-2009, 12:09 AM
ESPN - Wide receiver Anquan Boldin told ESPN that that chances of him staying with the Cardinals are "very slim."
Let's get him.

BeerBaron
02-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Anyone know where I can get good pics of Bears players. Mainly Kevin Payne at the moment. Will +rep!

http://www.chicagobears.com/photos/index.asp

Go there, and just type Kevin Payne into the search bar. There were like 7 of em.

Smokey Joe
02-07-2009, 12:41 AM
Like I said in the other thread... Boldin & Hester = epic. All that'd be missing is about 3 pieces on the OLine, a franchise QB, and a defense.

k0ng
02-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Ha...that's about right.

Would our 1st be enough to get Boldin? I wouldn't want us to give up anymore than that. Boldin and Hester would be beastly though.

Hines
02-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Ron Turner is getting interviewed for the Pitt Panthers offensive cordinator job. I think he gets it due to him and Wannstedt coaching together in the early 90's.

Smokey Joe
02-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Oakland is expected to cut Mike Huff. I would not mind giving him a shot as our FS.

Smokey Joe
02-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Ron Turner is getting interviewed for the Pitt Panthers offensive cordinator job. I think he gets it due to him and Wannstedt coaching together in the early 90's.
Is he really? One can only hope he excepts it, and we start a new regime on the offensive side of the ball, but it's HIGHLY unlikely. I don't see why he would go back down to the college ranks to be an offensive coordinator, maybe if for some reason he got offered a ridiculous amount of money, and Wanny offered him sexual favors.

iowatreat54
02-07-2009, 06:36 PM

This might make me happier than anything short of a Super Bowl in the upcoming season.

BeerBaron
02-07-2009, 06:36 PM

lol

Prepare Panthers fans for an offensive game plan that features exactly 3 plays:

1.) Run up the middle.
2.) WR Screen.
3.) Deep pass on a streak route.

Whether or not your have the right personnel for those plays be damed. Ol' Ron Turner is going to call them anyway!

Smokey Joe
02-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Don't forget about the FB dive.

In all honestly though, Ron Turner is a pretty good offensive mind, IMO, he's just way too inconsistent and tries to get way too cute at times.

Gay Ork Wang
02-07-2009, 06:50 PM
FB Dive, dont forget the FB Dive

Hines
02-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Here is what I got from it. It is from Rotoworld.

Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner has surfaced as a candidate to become the offensive coordinator as the University of Pittsburgh.

Turner has a history with Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt when they were together with the Bears in the mid-90s. Even with the Bears' underwhelming offensive talent, this would be a step down for Turner. Chiefs OC Chan Gailey is also considered a candidate for the position.

bearsfan_51
02-07-2009, 07:49 PM
No NFL coordinator is going to take a college coordinating job. Especially at a ****-hole like Pittsburgh.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Peppers just said he wanted to play in a 3-4 defense. I know it was unlikely we signed him, but damn.

He kinda backed off it at the end saying any situation that is right for him, but it definitely seems like he wants to play in a 3-4.

BeerBaron
02-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Peppers just said he wanted to play in a 3-4 defense. I know it was unlikely we signed him, but damn.

He kinda backed off it at the end saying any situation that is right for him, but it definitely seems like he wants to play in a 3-4.

When he says that, my question becomes as an end or an OLB?

He certainly has good size for an end....but i think that would detract from his pass rushing abilities. And while hes a great athlete, I think he would struggle as a rush backer as well.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-08-2009, 05:04 PM

He certainly has good size for an end....but i think that would detract from his pass rushing abilities. And while hes a great athlete, I think he would struggle as a rush backer as well.

OLB.. for sure.

bearsfan_51
02-08-2009, 05:49 PM

He's been saying that for weeks.

Smokey Joe
02-08-2009, 06:40 PM

His ego is hurt because he hasn't gotten the same attention as the 3-4 pass rushers have gotten. Peppers is a physical freak, but him as a 3-4 OLB would be a disaster, IMO.

BeerBaron
02-08-2009, 06:48 PM
His ego is hurt because he hasn't gotten the same attention as the 3-4 pass rushers have gotten. Peppers is a physical freak, but him as a 3-4 OLB would be a disaster, IMO.

Yeah, I'd hate to see him trying to cover a TE or Rb out of the backfield closely...

Thats one thing that makes guys like Harrison and Ware so much more dangerous at the position, they're more complete that just pass rushers.

BeerBaron
02-12-2009, 09:36 AM
"Does he have elite timed speed?" This is not the question that people should ask about WR propects. Just ask Peter Warrick, Jerome Mathis, Devin Hester, David Terrell and a slew of other speedy busts in the NFL.

I don't know how this guy got into the hall of fame saying ******** things like that...maybe he should like, witness a Bears game...before he says dumb things like that.

Steve Perry
02-13-2009, 01:46 PM
That's comical because Hester wasn't even drafted as a wide receiver. If Steve isn't mistaken, Hester's true position is corner.

BeerBaron
02-13-2009, 01:56 PM
That's comical because Hester wasn't even drafted as a wide receiver. If Steve isn't mistaken, Hester's true position is corner.

Hesters true position is WR. Where he's practiced, and played, and started games the past two seasons, making excellent strides while transitioning from his previous position of corner.

dabears10
02-13-2009, 02:40 PM
His True position is Returner. He played corner at Miami, poorly. He is playing well at the Wide Receiver position and getting better.

BeerBaron
02-13-2009, 02:44 PM
And next year will be his 3rd at WR. Traditionally, the 3rd year is when wideouts usually "break out" and start producing big. I'm hoping Hester can follow that trend.

regoob2
02-13-2009, 05:30 PM
We cut Marty Booker.

BeerBaron
02-13-2009, 05:30 PM
We cut Marty Booker.

I'm not surprised. Hopefully Rasheid isn't far behind......

Gay Ork Wang
02-13-2009, 07:19 PM
We cut Marty Booker.
thats a good start. he did nothing besides 1 TD vs the Vikes and 1 one handed grab

regoob2
02-13-2009, 07:35 PM
I heard Torry Holt just got cut. We have to get him. He's the smart sure handed WR we need. He's a rich mans Moose. I love Holt.

bearsfan_51
02-13-2009, 07:49 PM
We aren't going to cut Rashied. He's a versitile special teams player.

BeerBaron
02-13-2009, 07:54 PM
We aren't going to cut Rashied. He's a versitile special teams player.

If he sees a pass his direction on offense at all year it'll be a wasted roster spot....he's so terrible, he couldn't catch a cold at the end of the year...

shady00
02-13-2009, 11:56 PM
I'm on the Torry Holt bandwagon. The Rams will save 8mil by releasing him, and we could give him a starting role.

holt_bruce81
02-14-2009, 12:13 AM
I heard Torry Holt just got cut. We have to get him. He's the smart sure handed WR we need. He's a rich mans Moose. I love Holt.

No, he hasn't.

regoob2
02-14-2009, 01:01 AM
No, he hasn't.
I got some bad info on that one. That's what I get for being to lazy to read the article. :(

holt_bruce81
02-14-2009, 01:15 AM
I got some bad info on that one. That's what I get for being to lazy to read the article. :(

Ha, oh believe me your not the only one who has posted that. LOL I nearly had a heart attack when I first read that on another board.

Gay Ork Wang
02-14-2009, 04:58 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80ebbb31

sweet Bears are interested

k0ng
02-14-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm on the Torry Holt bandwagon. The Rams will save 8mil by releasing him, and we could give him a starting role.

It would be a great acquisition for us. Then add a early round receiver and we would be looking pretty good at WR for the next few years. Even though Holt is going to be 33, I think we could get 2-3 years of productivity out of him.

k0ng
02-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Or we could just trade our 1st rounder for Boldin.

Gay Ork Wang
02-14-2009, 10:13 AM
yea, he also could teach Bennett, the drafted WR and Hester some valueable things.

holt > booker

k0ng
02-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Tait to retire?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-14-bears-chicago,0,4083164.story

What would this do for us cap wise???

BeerBaron
02-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Tait to retire?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-14-bears-chicago,0,4083164.story

It would save us his base salary if he were to retire. Would also give us his rights so that he couldn't retire, then unretire to join another team.

regoob2
02-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Tait to retire?

I did not see that coming. He had a very good career.

Gay Ork Wang
02-14-2009, 11:00 AM
that would actually be better than us cutting him

bearsfan_51
02-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Actually I think it would be exactly the same cap-wise. He only had one year left on his deal regardless. I could see it, he's always been a bit different.

regoob2
02-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Players I think we should target who are a good fit for the team.

QB: Chris Simms, JP Losman.

RB: Lamont Jordan, JJ Arington, Maurice Morris, Ricky Williams.

FB: Leonard Weaver.

WR: T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Malcolm Floyd, Bryant Johnson, Shaun Mcdonald, Michael Clayton, Reggie Williams, Hank Baskett.

OT: Vernon Carey, Ray Willis, Max Starks, Stacey Andrews, Khalif Barnes, Marvel Smith.

OG: Jahri Evans, Jason Brown, Mike Goff, Harvey Dahl, Nick Cole.

DE: Bertrand Berry.

DT: none.

LB: none.

CB: DeAngelo Hall, Kelvin Hayden, Jabari Greer, Domonique Foxworth, Bryant McFadden.

S: Brian Dawkins, OJ Atogwe, Michael Huff, Sean Jones, Darren Sharper, James Sanders, Eugene Wilson.

BeerBaron
02-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Losman is just Grossman Light...

At backup QB, I want Charlie Batch.

Geo
02-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Losman is Grossman without most of the success.

regoob2
02-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Losman is just Grossman Light...

At backup QB, I want Charlie Batch.
Losman has potential. I think he's better than Grossman.

Geo
02-14-2009, 02:17 PM
I've seen Losman play the last few years, the guy is miserable.

I wouldn't sign him to the vet minimum.

k0ng
02-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Players I think we should target who are a good fit for the team.

QB: Chris Simms, JP Losman.

RB: Lamont Jordan, JJ Arington, Maurice Morris, Ricky Williams.

FB: Leonard Weaver.

WR: T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Malcolm Floyd, Bryant Johnson, Shaun Mcdonald, Michael Clayton, Reggie Williams, Hank Baskett.

OT: Vernon Carey, Ray Willis, Max Starks, Stacey Andrews, Khalif Barnes, Marvel Smith.

OG: Jahri Evans, Jason Brown, Mike Goff, Harvey Dahl, Nick Cole.

DE: Bertrand Berry.

DT: none.

LB: none.

CB: DeAngelo Hall, Kelvin Hayden, Jabari Greer, Domonique Foxworth, Bryant McFadden.

S: Brian Dawkins, OJ Atogwe, Michael Huff, Sean Jones, Darren Sharper, James Sanders, Eugene Wilson.

Otogwe, Huff, Carey, Johnson, Floyd, and Clayton are the only guys on that list that would be good for us. Speaking from an age and money perspective.

regoob2
02-14-2009, 02:51 PM
I've seen Losman play the last few years, the guy is miserable.

I wouldn't sign him to the vet minimum.Upside. It's all about the upside.

BeerBaron
02-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Upside. It's all about the upside.

Then we might as well just have Rexy back if all you want to look at is upside. He has perfect QB rating type upside when he's hot.

And we might as well just draft Josh Freeman and Michael Johnson too...they have great upside.

MidwayMonster31
02-14-2009, 04:06 PM
I hope we sign at least one of those offensive tackles mentioned. Morris should make a good backup for Forte. Signing a safety will also help us since it creates some competition. Atogwe would be the best fit for us.

regoob2
02-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Then we might as well just have Rexy back if all you want to look at is upside. He has perfect QB rating type upside when he's hot.

And we might as well just draft Josh Freeman and Michael Johnson too...they have great upside.Your god damn right we should. :D

BeerBaron
02-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Your god damn right we should. :D

No....no we should not. =:{

bearsfan_51
02-14-2009, 05:17 PM
**** Losman. The only backup quarterback I'm even remotely interested in is Byron Leftwich, and that's only a tepid interest.

regoob2
02-14-2009, 05:38 PM
**** Losman. The only backup quarterback I'm even remotely interested in is Byron Leftwich, and that's only a tepid interest.Didnt you say you'd trade a 4th or 5th for Losman at the beginning of the season?? Damn TREATED!!!! JK:D

bearsfan_51
02-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Didnt you say you'd trade a 4th or 5th for Losman at the beginning of the season?? Damn TREATED!!!! JK:D
I may have. If so, I was wrong.

The biggest thing that's turned me off to Losman is that it seems like he has a ****** attitude. You can't be a negative personality as a backup.

regoob2
02-14-2009, 06:04 PM
I may have. If so, I was wrong.

The biggest thing that's turned me off to Losman is that it seems like he has a ****** attitude. You can't be a negative personality as a backup.I didnt know that. That's why I dont want Leftwich. I can see him getting in the players ear about how he thinks he should be the starter. Losman is a definite backup with no chance to compete and that's kinda what I want. We've had enough QB controversy. [QUOTE]

BeerBaron
02-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Or, we sign Charlie Batch who's been a quiet and good backup for years now.

regoob2
02-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Or, we sign Charlie Batch who's been a quiet and good backup for years now.
Id be ok with that.

BeerBaron
02-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Problem is I don't think the Steelers will let both Batch and Leftwich walk...(Unless they really liked the development of Dennis Dixon...)

And I bet that Batch would be willing to resign there for less money than it would take to keep the starting job seeking Leftwich.

Gay Ork Wang
02-14-2009, 06:58 PM
i wonder how anyone would want someone like DeAngelo Hall in a cover 2 scheme

BeerBaron
02-14-2009, 07:03 PM

I still don't know if I'd want him period. He got badly exposed with the Raiders and had some serious attitude problems as well. What was it in that game? He drew personal fouls and pass interferences making up like 50 or more yards on one drive?

Asinine...

Smokey Joe
02-14-2009, 08:26 PM
My free agent wish list:

Byron Leftwich, Leonard Weaver, Jordan Gross, and Mike Huff. Also, Torry Holt, via. trade or free agency.

regoob2
02-15-2009, 11:54 AM
I believe Atl ran a cover 2 when he was there. I think he'd be a great fit. Bring some swagga to our D!!! Id love him on the cheap. It's obviously not going to happen though.

Gay Ork Wang
02-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Marvel Smith, John St. Clair, Derrick Ward, Brandon Lloyd, Leonard Weaver, Kenechi Udeze, Darren Sharper, and Michael Koenen.

The FAs i signed in the Forum mock. I think Sharper could be at least servicable and a veteran that could teach our young guys.

BeerBaron
02-16-2009, 04:38 PM
St. Clair, Ward, Lloyd, Weaver I like.

Udeze...I was trying to get him for the Jags. Former first rounder who missed a year with cancer...hopefully the potential is still there. Not awful.

Koenen was franchise tagged, a mistake by you and Ward I guess.

Sharper...so-so. A one year stop gap I guess.

Marvel...thats a questionable one I think. Unless you think he and St. Clair will compete for the RT spot and the loser moves to G. I'm very interested in seeing Chris Williams work with the first team in the offseason and see what he's made of.

Gay Ork Wang
02-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Koenen was franchise tagged in real life but not before the FA in the FFM i think

BeerBaron
02-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Koenen was franchise tagged in real life but not before the FA in the FFM i think

I think Bos posted a link to the thread he was tagged in. Not 100% sure but I'm fairly certain...

Gay Ork Wang
02-20-2009, 06:30 AM
what a horrible mock for the bears:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=09000d5d80ec895c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

we ******* pass on Everette Brown and Michael Oher for Tyson Jackson, who is prolly most suited for a 3-4? Whats with Tyson Jackson to the Bears anways?

also

The bears have opted to not resign Mike Brown. I feel like its an alright decision, im just scared of the Bears safetys :(

BeerBaron
02-20-2009, 12:04 PM
what a horrible mock for the bears:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=09000d5d80ec895c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

we ******* pass on Everette Brown and Michael Oher for Tyson Jackson, who is prolly most suited for a 3-4? Whats with Tyson Jackson to the Bears anways?

also

The bears have opted to not resign Mike Brown. I feel like its an alright decision, im just scared of the Bears safetys :(

I don't know wtf people think when they give us Tyson....

Geo
02-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Maybe they're just following Kiper's lead on that stupid pick.

BeerBaron
02-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Maybe they're just following Kiper's lead on that stupid pick.

Yeah...thats like, almost unbelievable that he did that to begin with.

He barely fits as a 4-3 end as it is, and his biggest weakness from that spot is his pass rushing which was our defense's biggest flaw all last year. He doesn't help at all.

You can't even buy the idea of him moving into UT because we have (supposedly) one of the best there is there with Harris, and Idonije is the backup/rotational guy at the spot and he looked like our best defensive lineman at times last year. And don't forget about Marcus Harrison who it seems like the team prefers at UT over NT, though he's played both last year.

It's just baffling from all angles.

Gay Ork Wang
02-20-2009, 04:29 PM
So in the forum mock i signed:

Marvel Smith, John St. Clair, Derrick Ward, Brandon Lloyd, Leonard Weaver, Kenechi Udeze, Darren Sharper, and Michael Koenen

Traded down from #18 (+our 4th and 6th) for #28 and #53 and drafted

Britt, Loadholt and Ayers. What would u guys think about that?

Race for the Heisman
02-20-2009, 06:58 PM
So in the forum mock i signed:

Marvel Smith, John St. Clair, Derrick Ward, Brandon Lloyd, Leonard Weaver, Kenechi Udeze, Darren Sharper, and Michael Koenen

Traded down from #18 (+our 4th and 6th) for #28 and #53 and drafted

Britt, Loadholt and Ayers. What would u guys think about that?

If that happened I would jizz in my pants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6CGmxKEGow

bearsfan_51
02-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Darren Sharper is too slow to play FS anymore, but the rest of it I like. Marvel Smith and St.Clair though? Does St. Clair play guard?

MidwayMonster31
02-21-2009, 12:12 AM
I think St. Clair can play guard, especially in our scheme that relies on the guards to pull. I hope they do resign him as a capable backup.

regoob2
02-21-2009, 12:18 AM
We absolutely need to resign St Clair.

BeerBaron
02-21-2009, 12:18 AM
I think St. Clair can play guard, especially in our scheme that relies on the guards to pull. I hope they do resign him as a capable backup.

I'm pretty sure St. Clair already did play G for a few games 2 years ago when Rueben Brown was crapping out.

And it would be good to have him as a backup tackle.

Gay Ork Wang
02-21-2009, 04:32 AM
Darren Sharper is too slow to play FS anymore, but the rest of it I like. Marvel Smith and St.Clair though? Does St. Clair play guard?
id think they compete for the Tackle position and the loser slids inside

k0ng
02-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Every worthwhile FA seems to have been tagged or signed. I wonder what we are going to do (and the rest of the league) with all our available cap room. Hopefully we don't overpay for like a Devery Henderson or something. Would be pissed.

DaBears0530
02-22-2009, 02:19 PM
John Tait is going to retire..

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=5610

now what do we do?

VoteLynnSwan
02-22-2009, 02:24 PM
well we resign St. Clair and draft a RT.

It doesn't really change anything... I think it was to be expected that Tait would only be with us for 1 more year max anyway, and that's only if we didn't cut him this offseason.

BeerBaron
02-22-2009, 03:19 PM
John Tait is going to retire..

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=5610

now what do we do?

Well, whatever few million bucks we save there, I say we put towards bringing back St. Clair.

In the current forum mock, Renji got us Loadholt in the 2nd and Urbik in the 3rd. That'd be a great draft for the future of the right side of our line. Then we let St. Clair compete with Beekman for the LG spot if Loadholt wins at RT, both positions St. Clair has played well in before. That'd be sweet if it worked out close to that in reality.

And I could justify spending a little more than we'd like to keep him because of that versatility, and also because he's not ancient. 31 isn't young, but he only has about 3.5 seasons of wear on his body, and lineman tend to stay effective longer than other positions.

bearsfan_51
02-22-2009, 03:24 PM
We save 4.8 million on the cap, which would have been Tait's base salary. I believe his cap charge will be slightly under 3 mil, which is the allocated signing bonus charge for 2009

pellepelle_10
02-22-2009, 03:52 PM
I really hope Gibril Wilson or Sean Jones get some attention from us. The Safety is in dire need of assistance and either one of these guys will provide a significant boost to the Safety position. We're 2 down right now. This would allow us to go elsewhere in the draft. I also wouldn't mind us looking at Stacy Andrews or Khalif Barnes as competitors to the RT position.

regoob2
02-22-2009, 04:57 PM
I would love Sean Jones.

bearsfan_51
02-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Sean Jones is more of a SS no?

regoob2
02-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Sean Jones is more of a SS no?He played SS in Cleveland but I believe he played FS at Georgia. He is good in coverage and would be good in a cover 2. 6-2 218lbs FS who runs a 4.50. He would be a great hard hitting FS.

princefielder28
02-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Sean Jones is more of a SS no?

That is correct

MidwayMonster31
02-22-2009, 05:43 PM
I think Wilson would fit in very nicely. An opportunistic ballhawk like him should do well in a cover-2.

regoob2
02-22-2009, 05:44 PM
That is correctWith his size he probably is best suited to play SS but he has the cover skills and speed to play FS in a cover 2. He's not a Ed Reed type but in a cover 2 he would be great.

Smokey Joe
02-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Bears offered a contract to St. Clair, 3 years between 15-18 million. It'd be nice to get him locked up.

Also, Brandon Moore, the started RG for the Jets got cut. Hopefully JA is all over him, and we can get him to replace Garza. Getting St. Clair and Moore would enable us to focus in other areas on draft day.

MidwayMonster31
02-23-2009, 11:42 PM
That's a reasonable price for him. Hopefully we can fortify the interior of the offensive line before the draft.

bearsfan_51
02-23-2009, 11:54 PM
We aren't going to replace Garza. I feel like I've been having this conversation for the last 3 years now.

That is a fair price for St. Clair, but I wonder if he feels like he can get a deal for 4-5 years.

corbi328
02-24-2009, 06:54 AM
Resigning St. Clair is a must. I thought he did a decent job at LT but will be even better as a RT and as a guy who provides depth at gaurd. I would go as high as 4 years/$20 million for him. I also think this Brandon Moore release is a gift from heaven. He is originally from northwest Indiana and played for Ron Turner at Illinois. I have got to think the Bears are at the top of his list as long as Angelo does not have a brain cramp. I do agree that Moore would not replace Garza but more than likely take Beekman's spot at LG. The Bears will want a veteran gaurd on that side if Williams is the starter at LT. Beekman could then become a valuable top backup at C and gaurd and would be groomed to take over for Kruetz at Center. If we make all these moves and then draft a tackle like Britton/Beatty in the first or Kropog/Loadholt in the second, I think we have the makings of a decent OL.

BeerBaron
02-24-2009, 09:16 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-24-haugh-onbears-chicagofeb24,0,985641.column

JA is setting up Lovie to take the fall next year if we suck. No surprise there.

regoob2
02-24-2009, 12:36 PM
That's a lot of money for St Clair. Are those numbers true all I heard was speculation.

Gay Ork Wang
02-24-2009, 12:51 PM
well he is prolly gonna get the same money on the open market

BeerBaron
02-24-2009, 12:53 PM
He wasn't great, but he was a capable starting LT and he could probably be a really good RT or maybe G in the right system.

Versatility and the ability to be a good stop-gap LT are going to make him valuable.

regoob2
02-24-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm ok with it if the guaranteed money is low, we can draft his replacement and then cut him next season.

regoob2
02-24-2009, 12:54 PM
He wasn't great, but he was a capable starting LT and he could probably be a really good RT or maybe G in the right system.

Versatility and the ability to be a good stop-gap LT are going to make him valuable.
What makes him valuable is that we have no other choice at the moment.

bearsfan_51
02-24-2009, 01:40 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-24-haugh-onbears-chicagofeb24,0,985641.column

JA is setting up Lovie to take the fall next year if we suck. No surprise there.

That's a stupid article, but no surprise considering it's by David Haugh. The man didn't know who Chris Johnson was in his draft special.

OMG! The general manager has expectations for the coaching staff!!

*rolls eyes*

BeerBaron
02-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Just to throw this out there, we had better not be thinking about picking up Marvin Harrison...

dabears10
02-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Just to throw this out there, we had better not be thinking about picking up Marvin Harrison...

I will take him at the vet min. However, besides that I will not want him. He could be positive for Hester showing how hard you have to work to be an elite talent and other things that BF51 does not think matters if you have good coaching.

VoteLynnSwan
02-24-2009, 05:43 PM
he certainly couldn't be worse than Marty Booker... Having a guy like him around certainly wouldn't hurt anything. If he comes on the cheap, then I'm all for it.

BeerBaron
02-24-2009, 07:34 PM
Ehh....with the way we tend to evaluate offensive players, our staff will probably think he's still some stud who can bounce back to form and be our #1 receiver.

We give a bunch of money to Harrison, draft someone ******** like Josh Freeman instead of someone awesome like Oher or Nicks.....and I die a little bit inside.

regoob2
02-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Ehh....with the way we tend to evaluate offensive players, our staff will probably think he's still some stud who can bounce back to form and be our #1 receiver.

We give a bunch of money to Harrison, draft someone ******** like Josh Freeman instead of someone awesome like Oher or Nicks.....and I die a little bit inside.
Nicks sucks.....:D lol.

BeerBaron
02-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Nicks sucks.....:D lol.

If theres no Oher, Everette or Orakpo, I'd take Nicks at 18 with no hesitation. I think he'd be the perfect compliment to Hester. He's gonna be a stud one day, you watch....hopefully it'll be for us.

BeerBaron
02-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Alright, it's 9:02....going to go with Foster the Texans. We all said RBs, and Foster is the highest ranked one left, seems reasonable to me.

And I have the Chargers pick from LTGiants as well. I'm gonna go make them both unless someone has a last minute objection.

shady00
02-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Jenkins may fall to us following the combine, but I think JA would rather find DB's later in the draft.

BeerBaron
02-25-2009, 12:29 AM
Jenkins may fall to us following the combine, but I think JA would rather find DB's later in the draft.

If we would stick him at FS I'd be for taking him. I think he could be a great one at that spot...

Gay Ork Wang
02-25-2009, 12:31 AM
Alright, it's 9:02....going to go with Foster the Texans. We all said RBs, and Foster is the highest ranked one left, seems reasonable to me.

And I have the Chargers pick from LTGiants as well. I'm gonna go make them both unless someone has a last minute objection.
hhahaha Wrong thread

BeerBaron
02-25-2009, 12:33 AM
hhahaha Wrong thread

Ohhhh man.....damn general discussion threads getting crossed...I wondered why no one had any response to that, lol

MidwayMonster31
02-25-2009, 12:55 AM
I was wondering where that came from.
With Larry English's performance at the senior bowl and the combine, he could actually be a steal at 18. He weighed in at 274 and didn't lose a step. The injuries that he had are still a concern. I think that we can find a good defensive back in the mid-rounds while using our early picks on the lines.

Race for the Heisman
02-25-2009, 11:54 AM
I was wondering where that came from.
With Larry English's performance at the senior bowl and the combine, he could actually be a steal at 18. He weighed in at 274 and didn't lose a step. The injuries that he had are still a concern. I think that we can find a good defensive back in the mid-rounds while using our early picks on the lines.

Scott has him listed officially at 255. I saw the 274 before as well but now I'm not so sure.

dabears10
02-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Who are you more scared of the bears signing: Marvin Harrison or Joey Galloway?