PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Chicago Bears General Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

BeerBaron
02-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Who are you more scared of the bears signing: Marvin Harrison or Joey Galloway?

Galloway. Well......idk. I'd rather just not mess with both at all. Harrison could at least still catch some short stuff and run some decent routes. Galloway's whole career has been about using speed to get deep and he hasn't been able to stay healthy enough to do that for oh.....3-4 seasons?

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-26-2009, 12:29 AM
Who are you more scared of the bears signing: Marvin Harrison or Joey Galloway?

Galloway. Well......idk. I'd rather just not mess with both at all. Harrison could at least still catch some short stuff and run some decent routes. Galloway's whole career has been about using speed to get deep and he hasn't been able to stay healthy enough to do that for oh.....3-4 seasons?

3 out of the last 4 seasons he's gained 1k yards.

I could live with a Galloway signing. He's been productive with the exception of last season's injury plagued year. Prior to that he had three straight 1k yard seasons. Not bad for a non explosive TB offense. And he is a decent vet to have around.

WR - Hakeem Nicks
WR - Devin Hester
WR - Joey Galloway
WR - Pat White?

Galloway isn't a big time difference maker, but he'd come cheap and is better than any of the trash Angelo brought in last year.

Harrison is definitely not coming here. He wants to revive his career and this is the last place to come to do that. He's from Philly, lives in Philly, and his former college QB is the QB of the Eagles. I'd be shocked if he didn't end up playing for the Eagles next year.

BeerBaron
02-26-2009, 12:35 AM
3 out of the last 4 seasons he's gained 1k yards.

I could live with a Galloway signing. He's been productive with the exception of last season's injury plagued year. Prior to that he had three straight 1k yard seasons. Not bad for a non explosive TB offense. And he is a decent vet to have around.

WR - Hakeem Nicks
WR - Devin Hester
WR - Joey Galloway
WR - Pat White?

Galloway isn't a big time difference maker, but he'd come cheap and is better than any of the trash Angelo brought in last year.

Harrison is definitely not coming here. He wants to revive his career and this is the last place to come to do that. He's from Philly, lives in Philly, and his former college QB is the QB of the Eagles. I'd be shocked if he didn't end up playing for the Eagles next year.

Oh, haha...just seems like it's been a while since Galloway was relevant.

And I'd love Hakeem Nicks. Perfect WR for us...

But Pat White will be taken long before I'd be willing to touch him. QB/receiver tweeners always seemed to get pushed up. (Matt Jones, Randel El, Isiah Stanbeck...etc.)

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-26-2009, 12:40 AM
Oh, haha...just seems like it's been a while since Galloway was relevant.

And I'd love Hakeem Nicks. Perfect WR for us...

But Pat White will be taken long before I'd be willing to touch him. QB/receiver tweeners always seemed to get pushed up. (Matt Jones, Randel El, Isiah Stanbeck...etc.)

Yeah, he's been kind of sneaky productive, haha. Those stats are pretty impressive. Especially considering the QB carousel Tampa has gone through recently under Gruden. Like I said though, if he comes cheap he's definitely better than any of the junk we brought in last year and wouldn't be a bad vet to have around. He would probably be a good guy for Hester to learn from.

I don't like Pat White as a QB either, but I like the intangibles and WR potential.

Race for the Heisman
02-26-2009, 08:33 AM
Galloway has received special veteran treatment from Gruden in Tampa (practicing very limitedly), which is part of the reason he's been good for so long. I don't know if Lovie could make an exception like that.

SFbear
02-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Galloway has received special veteran treatment from Gruden in Tampa (practicing very limitedly), which is part of the reason he's been good for so long. I don't know if Lovie could make an exception like that.

Lovie basically runs a health spa for veterans.

bearsfan_51
02-26-2009, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't count on Marvin Harrison to the Bears. So says Larry Mayer:

I don’t see the Bears trying to sign Marvin Harrison. I don’t want to take anything away from the former Colts star because he’s had a Hall of Fame career. But Harrison, who will turn 37 in August, clearly has lost a step. He didn’t appear to be the same player this past year, averaging a career-low 10.6 yards per reception while battling a knee injury. There are also character concerns related to a shooting last year in Philadelphia that involved a gun owned by Harrison. He was never charged for the incident, but given what occurred with Tank Johnson, I think that’s another reason why Harrison wouldn't be a good fit for the Bears.

It also sounds like they are pretty set on giving Earl Bennett the first crack at the other WR spot and honestly, I totally welcome that. This team isn't a Superbowl winner. Let the young kids play.

Gay Ork Wang
02-26-2009, 03:53 PM
im kinda confused about them looking at Hester as a #1.

BeerBaron
02-26-2009, 03:58 PM

Well, he's our #1...I doubt we can sign or draft anyone that would immediately be better.

But hopefully if we drafted a Nicks or Britt, they'd be the "#1" in a season or two and Hester could play 2nd fiddle.

Gay Ork Wang
02-26-2009, 04:12 PM
yea but they are saying: we are looking for a #2 next to Hester, as if Hester is a #1 WR.

SFbear
02-26-2009, 05:17 PM

Well they could be lowering expectations. If they say "We desparately need a #1 WR this offseason" and then strike out on any decent FA's and end up with a developmental rookie it's going to be hard for them to pretend they're confident in the current roster.

This way if they come up short, they can just write up fluff pieces about how excited they are about Bennett taking the number two spot. Oh wait...they're already doing that. Echoes of Bradley being the number one last year.

Remember that Ron Turner talked about needing an offensive weapon before Tait announced his retirement. OT is probably highest priority now and since FA pool is weak, they're probably expecting no better than a project WR who won't see much playing time. I could be wrong.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-26-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm interested in seeing if the Bears go after either Dockery or Brandon Moore.

Moore has a reputation for being good in the run game & he's a local product. Went to Illinois.. Grew up in the wonderful neighborhood that is Gary, Indiana.

regoob2
02-26-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm interested in seeing if the Bears go after either Dockery or Brandon Moore.

Moore has a reputation for being good in the run game & he's a local product. Went to Illinois.. Grew up in the wonderful neighborhood that is Gary, Indiana.
I think they should get a look see.

shady00
02-27-2009, 01:27 AM
I really wanted Bernard Scott, RB, Abilene Christian, in rounds 6-7, but he definitely raised his stock after the combine.

*edit* damn it, thought this was the draft topic

Hooligan
02-27-2009, 07:39 AM
Ok the Score guys were saying the Bears signed somebody but I had to go into the office before i could find out who... I can't find anything about it online but one of you are bound to know... hook a brotha up.

Monomach
02-27-2009, 08:02 AM
Ok the Score guys were saying the Bears signed somebody but I had to go into the office before i could find out who... I can't find anything about it online but one of you are bound to know... hook a brotha up.

Frank Omiyale. He's a nobody. Angelo must have heard someone say "that tackle from Carolina is great" and gotten confused as to which one.

bearsfan_51
02-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Assuming it's the minimum (and I can't for the life of me imagine that it's not), I think this is a fine signing. We need tackle depth after all.

Edit: Just saw that it's a 4 year deal for about 3 mil per. What the ****? He better have a damn high ceiling. I don't know how they could have targeted him in the first place.

bearsfan_51
02-27-2009, 08:06 AM
It’s obviously still a long way until September, but don’t be surprised if 2008 fourth-round pick Craig Steltz opens the 2009 season as the Bears’ starting free safety.

It doesn’t appear there will be many options in free agency or the draft that are better than Steltz, who impressed coaches with the progress he made during the second half of his rookie year.

Well, it's not Danieal Manning. I imagine a lot of people won't be pleased with this, but I'm for starting as many young players as we've got. We're aren't going to be very good next year I'm afraid.

Monomach
02-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Assuming it's the minimum (and I can't for the life of me imagine that it's not), I think this is a fine signing. We need tackle depth after all.
Rotoworld says 4 years with a maximum value of 14 million. Hopefully, he has to make a pro bowl for it to be worth anything close to that.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-27-2009, 08:10 AM

Try $14.5M, lol. I wonder what he has to do to get that.

He's started 1 game in his oh so brilliant career.

Monomach
02-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Oh, ****.

Omiyale's base deal (meaning before incentives) is 11.5 mil.

This guy's seen less playing time than the pre-2008 John St. Clair.

Oh, well. Beats the crap out of paying 6 mil a year for St. Clair.

Gay Ork Wang
02-27-2009, 08:55 AM
they prolly saw him opening big holes vs the Chiefs and didnt realize everyone does it

Smokey Joe
02-27-2009, 09:01 AM
He's like a cheaper, younger, but much less experience version of St. Clair. I don't hate this move, but I am certainly not a fan of it. I wonder what this guy has done to get a 4 year deal worth anywhere between 10-14.5 million. Appearantly we weren't the only team trying to get him, but this move is a bit confusing.

bearsfan_51
02-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Yeah, it's really hard to say because nobody outside of NFL front offices probably has any idea who he is. I asked a friend of mine who is a Panthers fan and he said he looked great when he filled in for Jordan Gross, but like GOW said, the competition was pretty lousy.

Just an odd move. I don't particularly care about the money so much. A few million isn't a big deal when you're 30 million under the cap....just odd.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-27-2009, 11:01 AM
It's kind of hard to be on board with this when Carolina gave up a future 1st rounder for Jeff Otah last year.

Instead of playing Omiyale for a year they wanted someone who could play right away which is kind of frightening.

I didn't want to go through another season of the clown show that is St. Clair, but man, this is a little weird. Especially, because the deal got done so quickly.

bearsfan_51
02-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Sounds like Omiyale is expected to start at RT, or at least provide depth/competition similar to St. Clair.

Unexpectedly ballsy decision to make. Looks like they are taking an almost complete unknown over a guy they've had under contract for 3 years. He is 6 years younger though, and if we're planning on starting guys like Earl Bennett and Craig Steltz next year, that's a pretty clear sign that we're trying to get younger across the board.

Geo
02-27-2009, 12:08 PM
I think it will be an okay, to potentially good, signing. If someone beats him out for a starting job down the line, at least it wasn't that much money invested or perhaps he moves inside to guard.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Sounds like Omiyale is expected to start at RT, or at least provide depth/competition similar to St. Clair.

Unexpectedly ballsy decision to make. Looks like they are taking an almost complete unknown over a guy they've had under contract for 3 years. He is 6 years younger though, and if we're planning on starting guys like Earl Bennett and Craig Steltz next year, that's a pretty clear sign that we're trying to get younger across the board.

I don't even think Bennett is a lock to make the team. I haven't been reading the puff pieces this offseason, but he didn't play last year for good reason. After mini camps last year the coaches were really down on him. I think the only way he sees the field is if the Bears do nothing to the WR core in the draft. To say Bennett is bad would be an understatement.

This could be a pretty big disaster if you think about it. It's likely that our starting tackles have one game of experience between them both. Combine that with the awful interior OL, bad receivers, and Kyle Orton.......

Geo
02-27-2009, 12:30 PM
To say Bennett is bad would be an understatement.
I think ignorant statement would be the more apt description, but to each his own.

Gay Ork Wang
02-27-2009, 12:37 PM
I don't even think Bennett is a lock to make the team. I haven't been reading the puff pieces this offseason, but he didn't play last year for good reason. After mini camps last year the coaches were really down on him. I think the only way he sees the field is if the Bears do nothing to the WR core in the draft. To say Bennett is bad would be an understatement.

This could be a pretty big disaster if you think about it. It's likely that our starting tackles have one game of experience between them both. Combine that with the awful interior OL, bad receivers, and Kyle Orton.......
sounds like last year

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-27-2009, 12:37 PM
I think ignorant statement would be the more apt description, but to each his own.

Brandon Lloyd
Rashied Davis
Marty Booker
Devin Hester

Those were the Bears receivers last season. Lloyd missed a few games with injuries & Bennett didn't even get a look.

The Bears scouts were saying at Mobile that their WR core is worse than an expansion team.

Like I said I don't think Bennett is a lock to make the team.

bearsfan_51
02-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Bennett was a rookie receiver. You really can't judge him off last season at all. We cut Booker and aren't resigning Lloyd, so he's already jumped those two in the minds of the coaching staff/front office.

Geo
02-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Which of those four guys was playing in his first NFL season?

Give the kid a chance, until his third NFL season at least.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Which of those four guys was playing in his first NFL season?

Give the kid a chance. Give him until his third NFL season at least.

Davis was signed out of the Arena league & was playing CB his rookie year. After he made the switch in 2005 he played.

Brandon Lloyd played his rookie season.

Devin Hester played his rookie season.

Marty Booker played his rookie season.

What is your point? The only decent receiver of the bunch was Booker and he's been finished for a couple years.

It's not so much I dislike Bennett - it's just that I know the staff doesn't feel good about him and hasn't since the first time they saw him in shorts.

Geo
02-27-2009, 12:53 PM
I should have phrased that better. The point I was trying to make was that Bennett was playing in the first professional season of his career, but those guys weren't. They had more experience.

And as much as I like Lovie, he doesn't always make the best roster decisions.

bearsfan_51
02-27-2009, 01:04 PM
They must feel a little good about him. They've been talking for weeks about him being a starter, they cut Booker, and they aren't re-signing Lloyd.

Your comments completely contradict each other.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-27-2009, 01:16 PM
They must feel a little good about him. They've been talking for weeks about him being a starter, they cut Booker, and they aren't re-signing Lloyd.

Your comments completely contradict each other.

Lloyd is going, because he's not liked in the locker room.

Marty Booker is awful.

Both can easily be replaced through the draft with second day picks.

You don't really believe Angelo when he says he believes Bennett is a starting caliber receiver do you? Bennett is a starter by default since the only receivers on the roster are Hester, Davis, & Bennett. That will change relatively soon.

I will not be surprised to see him not dress next year.

Hooligan
02-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Well I hope you are wrong.... the Bears need all the help they can get at WR.

Perhaps he will play better if/when he actually plays. I am not a football guru but an argument that makes sense to me is that some guys just perform better in games than in practice/drills.

Either way we need more talent hopefully we draft the right wide receiver(s) instead of another David Terrell

bearsfan_51
02-27-2009, 01:33 PM
I may not believe that Angelo is correct, but I believe that he means what he says. He's usually a pretty open book. If they say they are looking at Bennett to start, they are.

BeerBaron
02-27-2009, 02:08 PM
The Omiyale signing is a bit strange, but I'm still hoping that if we can get an Oher in the first round or someone like Loadholt in the 2nd/3rd, he'll kick inside to G.

I think he has better size for a G (6'4 310) as I like my RT's bigger mauling run blockers.

regoob2
02-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Well, it's not Danieal Manning. I imagine a lot of people won't be pleased with this, but I'm for starting as many young players as we've got. We're aren't going to be very good next year I'm afraid.
I like Steltz. I think he can be good.

regoob2
02-27-2009, 02:24 PM

So you think we'll go into next season with 2 WRs? Bennett has a better shot at starting than not making the team. :rolleyes:

bearsfan_51
02-27-2009, 02:26 PM
The Omiyale signing is a bit strange, but I'm still hoping that if we can get an Oher in the first round or someone like Loadholt in the 2nd/3rd, he'll kick inside to G.

I think he has better size for a G (6'4 310) as I like my RT's bigger mauling run blockers.
Ideally, I agree. Versatility is nice on the offensive line, and apparently the guy was heavily sought, which would explain the odd price tag. Being a versitile backup will get you 3-4 million a year in today's NFL, as bizzarre as that seems.

regoob2
02-27-2009, 02:27 PM
I dont know a thing about this guy so I'll just have to wait and see.

bearsfan_51
02-27-2009, 02:29 PM
I really don't either. I know that he's only 26, that he has great arm length and athleticism, and can play the blindside as well as kick inside.

On the other hand, I know that he's a former 5th round pick that was cut by the Falcons and has only played in 2 games.

That said, if there really were 10 teams interested in signing him on the 1st day, he must have been damn impressive in those rare appearances, either that or the Falcons gave up on a player with a lot more upside than they thought.

Or there are just a lot of stupid people during free agency.

MidwayMonster31
02-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Omiyale could be an intriguing player. He was drafted as more of a development pick, but I think he could do a lot for us.
As far as Bennett goes, they didn't think much of him last year. He supposedly had a lot of trouble with learning the playbook. I would rather see him as a #3/ slot receiver. I think that he could do a lot in that spot. I'm up for giving him a shot at #2 while someone else develops.

BeerBaron
02-27-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm sorry, but this Earl Bennett talk is getting a bit annoying. He was a first year rookie receiver. First year rookie receivers very, very rarely ever do anything.

Limas Sweed: 6 catches, 64 yards, 0 TDs, 11 games played, 0 starts
Devin Thomas: 15 catches, 120 yards, 0 TDs, 16 games played, 0 starts
Malcolm Kelly: 3 catches, 18 yards, 0 TDs, 5 games played, 0 starts

Are they all busts who suck too because they didn't have an immediate impact?

Come talk to me about Earl Bennett in 2 more years. God.

SFbear
02-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Jerry Angelo wants John St. Clair back; Omiyale at guard

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2009/02/jerry-angelo-wants-john-st-clair-back-omiyale-at-guard.html

Angelo said Omiyale's immediate future is at guard. The team is not pleased with the performance of right guard Robert Garza, so Omiyale might have a chance to compete for a starting role there. If St. Clair doesn't re-sign, Omiyale could find himself starting at right tackle.

I thought for sure Omiyale meant St. Clair was gone. Having a starting guard who could swing out to either tackle spot sounds like a good idea.

regoob2
02-27-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm sorry, but this Earl Bennett talk is getting a bit annoying. He was a first year rookie receiver. First year rookie receivers very, very rarely ever do anything.

Limas Sweed: 6 catches, 64 yards, 0 TDs, 11 games played, 0 starts
Devin Thomas: 15 catches, 120 yards, 0 TDs, 16 games played, 0 starts
Malcolm Kelly: 3 catches, 18 yards, 0 TDs, 5 games played, 0 starts

Are they all busts who suck too because they didn't have an immediate impact?

Come talk to me about Earl Bennett in 2 more years. God.
Get em!!!!! I like Bennett. I think he will be a good slot WR.

bearsfan_51
02-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Angelo said Omiyale's immediate future is at guard. The team is not pleased with the performance of right guard Robert Garza, so Omiyale might have a chance to compete for a starting role there. If St. Clair doesn't re-sign, Omiyale could find himself starting at right tackle.
That should make Smokey happy.

SFbear
02-27-2009, 07:47 PM

Orton too. Garza's pass protection has left a lot to be desired.

BeerBaron
02-27-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm always a fan of finding ways to get Garza out of there. I don't know if I've ever seen an offensive lineman spend that much time during plays on his ass....

.....since Fred Miller anyway.....

Smokey Joe
02-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Thats the truth. Garza sucks now, I think his knees are shot.

Monomach
02-28-2009, 01:48 AM
Jerry Angelo wants John St. Clair back; Omiyale at guard

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2009/02/jerry-angelo-wants-john-st-clair-back-omiyale-at-guard.html

I thought for sure Omiyale meant St. Clair was gone. Having a starting guard who could swing out to either tackle spot sounds like a good idea.
Ok, I like Omiyale as competition at Guard, but I hate chasing after John St. Clair as a starting tackle. The man can't run or pass block. He belongs as a backup.

regoob2
02-28-2009, 01:22 PM
I hope we resign St Clair. I'd dont see anything better in FA.

Smokey Joe
02-28-2009, 01:27 PM
i hope we dont. st. clair aint worth 15-18 mil, and signing him would eliminate us from being able to draft either Oher or Andre Smith. Omiyale can likely do what St. Clair did, but better.

regoob2
02-28-2009, 02:46 PM
i hope we dont. st. clair aint worth 15-18 mil, and signing him would eliminate us from being able to draft either Oher or Andre Smith. Omiyale can likely do what St. Clair did, but better.
I'd offer $4mil give or take a season. 3-4 yrs. St Clair knows our system and would do a lot better than Omiyale at RT.

bearsfan_51
02-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Money isn't even an issue. Relative to the market, what we're offering is a minor investment. Even if it's just as depth.

regoob2
02-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Money isn't even an issue. Relative to the market, what we're offering is a minor investment. Even if it's just as depth.For St Clair or Omiyale?

bearsfan_51
02-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Both.......

sweetness34
02-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Lloyd is going, because he's not liked in the locker room.

Marty Booker is awful.

Both can easily be replaced through the draft with second day picks.

You don't really believe Angelo when he says he believes Bennett is a starting caliber receiver do you? Bennett is a starter by default since the only receivers on the roster are Hester, Davis, & Bennett. That will change relatively soon.

I will not be surprised to see him not dress next year.

Rigghhhhttt....the Bears brass like Bennett, they praised him for the work he did after his rookie mini-camp. You don't think he's a lock for the team because he didn't do anything his rookie year? Is this a joke?

WR's take time to develop; you don't cut a 3rd round pick after one ******* season. Hell Airese Currie stayed on for what 3 years and did absolutely nothing. Bennett will get a chance to prove himself and will do well.

SFbear
02-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Rigghhhhttt....the Bears brass like Bennett, they praised him for the work he did after his rookie mini-camp. You don't think he's a lock for the team because he didn't do anything his rookie year? Is this a joke?

WR's take time to develop; you don't cut a 3rd round pick after one ******* season. Hell Airese Currie stayed on for what 3 years and did absolutely nothing. Bennett will get a chance to prove himself and will do well.

Well the reports were that Bennett despite having good hands ran around like he had cement shoes on and couldn't get past a jam at the line. They were just rumors though and hopefully he'll come in and light it up this year. Obviously you don't give up on a player after one year but it looks like Bennett might lack the physical skills to get open in the league hence his lack of playing time on a pretty unimpressive squad.

It just seems like every offseason they hype up some young reciever in training camp (Hester, Bradley, Davis, Currie) only to find out that it was just a cover for the fact that the Bears realize they've done a poor job addressing the position.

We still have the draft and if we can get Oline locked up in FA, WR looks like a good bet in the first.

bearsfan_51
02-28-2009, 05:42 PM
It just seems like every offseason they hype up some young reciever in training camp (Hester, Bradley, Davis, Currie) only to find out that it was just a cover for the fact that the Bears realize they've done a poor job addressing the position.

I don't think these two points contradict the other though. I am in NO way saying that Earl Bennett is the answer. What I am saying, is that if the Bears FO is saying Earl Bennett is the favorite to start, he probably is. Whether that's because they really like him or because the options are a dead fish and a hamster, it doesn't really matter.

BeerBaron
03-01-2009, 10:33 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1454959,CST-SPT-bear01.article

We're apparently interested in resigning Kevin Jones. It also says we're interested in using a two back system more than we did last year.

I mean...I guess it's alright. Jones didn't look the greatest last year though...Hopefully we at least made a call to Derrick Ward to see what his interests were first.

I think we can do a little better than Jones.

princefielder28
03-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Derrick Ward wouldn't go to Chicago unless they gave him a ton more money than anyone else. Ward wants to be "the guy" and in Chicago he wouldn't be that person due to the godly Matt Forte.

BeerBaron
03-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Derrick Ward wouldn't go to Chicago unless they gave him a ton more money than anyone else. Ward wants to be "the guy" and in Chicago he wouldn't be that person due to the godly Matt Forte.

Thats why I'm hoping we at least gave him a call to hear that from him specifically. He's 28 and there aren't all that many teams really in need of a "the guy." So maybe the money isn't as good and the opportunities aren't as great....

bearfan
03-01-2009, 11:27 AM
I know that we have a lot of other positions to adress, but I wouldnt be against us drafting a RB in the second or third round to play the complimentary back to Forte. With the talk of RBs falling, there may be a guy there in the second or third round that would be worth taking.

Say we draft OT in 1st round, our OL is Williams-Beekman-Kruetz-New Guy/St.Claire-Rookie

We have needs at WR, S, and DL, but I would put RB in the mix too. Forte cant get a million touches a year and not get hurt, we need someone to share with him, and if he gets hurt be able to come in a do well.

Would you guys put DL as a lower need now that we have Marinelli?

bearsfan_51
03-01-2009, 11:28 AM
No. The biggest issue on the d-line is that O-Gun is over 30 and is in the last year of his contract. He'll need to be replaced.

bearfan
03-01-2009, 11:32 AM
No. The biggest issue on the d-line is that O-Gun is over 30 and is in the last year of his contract. He'll need to be replaced.

Mark Anderson perhaps? Im not saying the organization should put its eggs in one basket, because he has not played well since his rookie year, but what if Marinelli turns something on in Anderson that his play improves.

MidwayMonster31
03-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Replacing Bazuin is also an issue. He had a bad knee injury and never came back from it. The good news is that defensive end is very deep, plus Angelo can find those guys from the second round on.

G08
03-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Angelo's on the record as saying that DEs can be found in later rounds due to the skillset required to play the position. Plus, for our scheme, we select guys that most teams would consider tweeners or too small to play DE, so naturally these guys will fall in the draft (see Mark Anderson).

That being said, Ogun is in his final season and I don't think we have his replacement on our roster as of yet. I'd expect us to take a DE at some point in the draft (hopefully Everette Brown if he falls to us at #18).

Otherwise, get me Hakeem Nicks.

Monomach
03-02-2009, 01:22 AM
Mark Anderson perhaps? Im not saying the organization should put its eggs in one basket, because he has not played well since his rookie year, but what if Marinelli turns something on in Anderson that his play improves.

Mark Anderson starting at Left End = giving up 200 yards on the ground every game.

iowatreat54
03-02-2009, 02:47 PM
The Bears should trade the farm for Cutler. That is all.

VoteLynnSwan
03-02-2009, 02:52 PM
the problem is we don't have anything to offer them... they wanted Matt Cassel because for whatever reason they think he's better than Cutler.

iowatreat54
03-02-2009, 03:17 PM
the problem is we don't have anything to offer them... they wanted Matt Cassel because for whatever reason they think he's better than Cutler.

I know, but I can dream.

VoteLynnSwan
03-02-2009, 03:55 PM
I know, but I can dream.

yea, I wish that we could swing a move for Cutler... or any other decent quarterback for that matter.

Although with our WR core, no one would look good.

BeerBaron
03-02-2009, 03:59 PM
yea, I wish that we could swing a move for Cutler... or any other decent quarterback for that matter.

Although with our WR core, no one would look good.

You know, people **** talk out WR corps a lot and most of it is deserved, but if we had a QB who could hit something further than 20 yards away, Hester would have looked real good last year. He frequently beat his man only to be severely over/under thrown by Orton....

Cutler would probably be able to help out with that a lot, lol. He's got a cannon and knows how to aim it too.

Monomach
03-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Hester would have looked real good last year. He frequently beat his man only to be severely over/under thrown by Orton....
He also frequently let the ball hit him somewhere in the hands, arms, shoulders, chest, or head and didn't manage to make the catch.

Too many people are claiming that Hester is an average receiver when he's not quite there. He can get open, but that's about the only WR tool he has. He doesn't beat people on jump balls. When thrown perfect balls in traffic, he either lets them get batted away or refuses to stretch the 18 inches to catch the ball thrown away from the coverage. He has sub-par hands. His route running is really limited. I wish he was Ted Ginn, and I don't even think Ted Ginn is going to be a #1 in his career.

There's a reason he was rarely used art receiver in college. The Bears aren't geniuses who thought of it when no one else did. Miami knew he could get open, but that isn't enough.

Hester is about half of a receiver and only looks good to fans because no one else on the team is even that much. He's Rashied Davis plus the ability to blow right by corners. The best way he could serve the Bears as a receiver is to scare opposing defenses into lightening the coverage on the real wideout across from him...as soon as Angelo bothers to get one, that is.

Hopefully, after this draft, Hester will serve his purpose by keeping Hakeem Nicks from being double teamed.

BeerBaron
03-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Hester is also entering his 3rd year at WR, a year that for most players at the position is make or break. It usually takes an average NFL WR that long to get adjusted, and I think he'll continue to improve.

He's not without his flaws, I didn't mean to make him seem that way with my earlier post, but he's definitely the best receiver on the team and I think some of his problems are correctable through experience and coaching.

G08
03-02-2009, 11:48 PM
I'm itching to see if Hanie gets some reps with the ones in the pre-season. I'm curious to see if he has the same touch on the deep ball that he had at Colorado State.

SFbear
03-04-2009, 07:31 PM
New interview with Angelo with good, straightforward answers
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=5631

"We have a nucleus of receivers that we feel good about in terms of twos, threes, fours and fives, and if we carried six, a sixth receiver. Part of that ties into special teams. What we’re looking at is the top of the wide receiver position. Where does that come from? It comes with a premium receiver in free agency if there’s one out there and/or in the draft. Yes, it’s a position that we are looking at."

So it looks like they're genuinely looking for a number one and no longer selling Hester as the top guy.

shady00
03-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Breaking News: T.O. released by Cowboys

I wouldn't take him and I don't think he'd want to come here anyway.

bearsfan_51
03-04-2009, 11:45 PM
I LOVE this new Jerry Angelo feature. If it had a vagina I'd **** it.

As for T.O. coming to the Bears, I think Stuart Scott is more likely to put on a Broadway production of King Lear by himself.

regoob2
03-04-2009, 11:47 PM
Well I think JA said what we all know. It's nice to hear it from him though.

BeerBaron
03-06-2009, 04:56 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/06/kevin-jones-stays-with-bears/

Dammit all.....we could have done better. Jones looked ******* awful last season. I think our team's goal is to be as mediocre as possible and hope the other teams in our division are just worse.

regoob2
03-06-2009, 05:34 PM
I like Jones. If he's healthy we'd have a great duo. Add a bit of Wolfe.

BeerBaron
03-06-2009, 05:39 PM
I like Jones. If he's healthy we'd have a great duo. Add a bit of Wolfe.

It seems like we've been trying all we can to NOT add a bit of Wolfe....

Bearsfan123
03-07-2009, 10:48 AM
if hes healthier than last year and the coaching staff is willing to use him, its a decent pickup although it kills my dream of actually having a homerun threat like Moore...

Smokey Joe
03-07-2009, 01:51 PM
I LOVE this new Jerry Angelo feature. If it had a vagina I'd **** it.

As for T.O. coming to the Bears, I think Stuart Scott is more likely to put on a Broadway production of King Lear by himself.
That's a little weird.

As for T.O. coming to the Bears, I agree, extremely unlikely. I'd love him on a 2 year deal, but I don't see how it would work out.

Smokey Joe
03-07-2009, 02:00 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/06/kevin-jones-stays-with-bears/

Dammit all.....we could have done better. Jones looked ******* awful last season. I think our team's goal is to be as mediocre as possible and hope the other teams in our division are just worse.
Calm down. He's a cheap option with good upside. I think it was pretty clear that he wasn't healthy at all last year, and that's why he wanted to come back with the Bears. If he was healthy last year, he'd see a lot more action.

Right now, we have much bigger needs then backup RB. Jones is a very good stop gap for now and if healthy, he might be better then expected.

I think this leads to a much lessened role for AP. I think AP will be the 4th RB, backup FB (seems like we're stuck w/ McKie for another year), and special teamer. Wolfe is nothing more then a scatback for a series or two a game and a special teamer. I think the backfield depth chart will be:

RB:
Forte
Jones
Wolfe
Peterson

FB:
McKie
Peterson

Also, I wouldn't be surprised is Angelo has soured on Lovie and not planing on bringing him back next year.

bearsfan_51
03-07-2009, 02:06 PM
That's a little weird..
A LITTLE weird!?!

bearsfan_51
03-07-2009, 02:07 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we cut AP actually. As a stricly special teams player (who made a lot of stupid decisions last season) it could go either way. He's in the last year of his contract is set to make about 760k as a base salary. Nothing that's going to hurt us, but about twice as much as the vet minimum.

On the other hand, he's a team leader on a team with very little vocal presence, so probably not.

Smokey Joe
03-07-2009, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we cut AP actually. As a stricly special teams player (who made a lot of stupid decisions last season) it could go either way. He's in the last year of his contract is set to make about 760k as a base salary. Nothing that's going to hurt us, but about twice as much as the vet minimum.

On the other hand, he's a team leader on a team with very little vocal presence, so probably not.
He's Lovie's guy, so I doubt it. But I have a really strong feeling this will be Lovie's last year, unless we somehow make it to the playoffs.

Basically, I see it as Jerry Angelo saying to Lovie, "we've sucked the past two years. There won't be many big additions to the club, just a few minor signings and the draft. If you can't turn this team into a playoff team while running the D, you're gone."

Personally, I think JA wants Lovie gone.

bearsfan_51
03-07-2009, 02:37 PM
I'm not sure what big signings would have done us much good anyway. I'd like to have signed a safety like Jermaine Phillips, but honestly that's about it.

Housch got a lot of money for a 32 year old player that isn't particularly great at any area.

I don't think there's any alterior motives here, there just weren't many deals to be made.

G08
03-07-2009, 06:58 PM
AP isn't going anywhere, he's too valuable on ST and as a backup RB.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-07-2009, 07:05 PM
AP isn't going anywhere, he's too valuable on ST and as a backup RB.

Adrian Peterson is irrelevant.

BeerBaron
03-08-2009, 12:27 AM
I'm not sure what big signings would have done us much good anyway. I'd like to have signed a safety like Jermaine Phillips, but honestly that's about it.

Housch got a lot of money for a 32 year old player that isn't particularly great at any area.

I don't think there's any alterior motives here, there just weren't many deals to be made.

Pretty much any kind of o-line help other than a G/undersized RT with one career start would have been nice. Jason Brown would have been a sweet addition......C/LG/something........

Khalif Barnes maybe even. He's had a troubled past but we could probably get him fairly cheap since he's been on the market this long with no real interest. He's an experienced LT we could plug in somewhere on the o-line.

Resigning St. Clair would also be halfway decent......No news on that front.

I'm glad we don't have a Dan Snyder mindset and throw money at anything, but at the same time, I wish we'd sign someone a little better than Kevin Jones.

bearsfan_51
03-08-2009, 12:31 AM
Khalif Barnes is ******* terrible. Jason Brown would have been pretty good, but there's also a question if he would be worth that money to play guard.

I wish we would have signed a FS, but we didn't. Other than that, there just wasn't much to be done.

BeerBaron
03-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Khalif Barnes is ******* terrible. Jason Brown would have been pretty good, but there's also a question if he would be worth that money to play guard.

I wish we would have signed a FS, but we didn't. Other than that, there just wasn't much to be done.

I don't think there were many worthwhile FS's out there. Dawkins was overpaid for an old man...I think I'd rather just bring back Mike Brown or go with Craig Steltz than that.

And is G really worth less than C? I've always kind of thought that with the OL, the further inside you go, the less worth the position carries. Some of the best centers around aren't athletic freaks....they just have a good head on their shoulders, double team guys with one of the guards, and maybe pick up the occasional blitzer. The only time where I'd think otherwise is in a division like the AFC North or AFC East where 3/4 of the team's run the 3-4 and your center has to constantly be taking on a massive NT.

bearsfan_51
03-08-2009, 12:38 AM
It's not a matter of centers being worth more than guards, it's a matter of Jason Brown's worth as a guard. We already have two guards that would be better off playing center. Getting a big guy like Omiyale makes more sense.

BeerBaron
03-08-2009, 12:44 AM
Omiyale is listed at 6'4 310, 26 years old
Jason Brown is listed at 6'3 320, 25 years old

At nfl.com anyway. Brown isn't crazy bigger, but he'd add some more punch/youth/size/versatility/etc to the interior of the line.

Omiyale isn't terrible, but 1 career start? That still has me just thrown off a little...

bearsfan_51
03-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Omiyale is listed at 6'4 310, 26 years old
Jason Brown is listed at 6'3 320, 25 years old

At nfl.com anyway. Brown isn't crazy bigger, but he'd add some more punch/youth/size/versatility/etc to the interior of the line.

Omiyale isn't terrible, but 1 career start? That still has me just thrown off a little...
Brown also got 38 million dollars. That's a lot of money to give a player and then ask him to switch positions.

BeerBaron
03-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Brown also got 38 million dollars. That's a lot of money to give a player and then ask him to switch positions.

He has played G before iirc. He played some RT and G in college, switched to C at the end out of necessity. Doesn't say for the Ravens but I remember him being listed at G in Madden a few years back if that means anything....

He's just a versatile guy. Not like it matters much anymore, but I think he would have been a nice pickup. It's not like we're hurting real bad for cap space and if you upgrade the OL, the rest of your offense typically improves as well.

I'm just hoping that we get back St. Clair to play RT, Omiyale does well as a RG, and maybe we draft some competition for LG. Should set us up for a few seasons at least.

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Being a Bears fan I thought I'd post here first. Look forward to talkin' with you all later.

Smokey Joe
03-08-2009, 05:48 PM
I hope we don't resign St. Clair. If we bring back St. Clair, that eliminates OL from the draft most likely. However, if we don't bring back St. Clair, and someone like Oher is there at 18, you have to take him.

MidwayMonster31
03-08-2009, 05:55 PM
I think that we could do better than St. Clair in the draft. I'm looking for a long-term starter.

bearsfan_51
03-08-2009, 05:59 PM
We have a lot of needs. We have no FS, we have no #1 receiver, we need a beter pass-rush etc. We can't just hope that Oher will be available at 18 and not re-sign St. Clair. He's a valuable and versatile player and should be resigned regardless. If we then draft a tackle in the draft, so be it.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-08-2009, 06:39 PM
We have a lot of needs. We have no FS, we have no #1 receiver, we need a beter pass-rush etc. We can't just hope that Oher will be available at 18 and not re-sign St. Clair. He's a valuable and versatile player and should be resigned regardless. If we then draft a tackle in the draft, so be it.

How likely is it that St. Clair is signed by another team before the draft? It doesn't look like he is getting much attention right now and I wonder if Jerry can stall this out until May.

There are still some decent veteran OL out there. I don't think it's out of the question that St. Clair is on the market on day 1 of the draft.

I agree that I wouldn't mind bringing St. Clair back, but if we do I hope that doesn't rule out Oher at #18.

Is Garza going to get cut?

LT - Chris Williams
LG - Frank O
C - Olin Kreutz
RG - John St. Clair
RT - Michael Oher

That's a nice OL with a lot of versatility. Oher can play either Tackle spot, St. Clair can play all over, Frank O can play all over, and Beekman can back up Kreutz and the guard spots assuming Garza is released.

BeerBaron
03-08-2009, 07:17 PM
LT - Chris Williams
LG - Frank O
C - Olin Kreutz
RG - John St. Clair
RT - Michael Oher

Those were my thoughts as well, only Omiyale and St. Clair would probably be switched in my mind. We could have signed just about anyone other than Gross or Carey and I still would have wanted Oher at 18 if he's there.

I think I'd rather have Oher than just about anyone in the draft, it's just so unrealistic that he'll be there.

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Personally I'd like to see us get Oher or A. Smith but it seems like the Bears will go WR. I know everyone has their favorite but if that was the case I hope the Bears get DHB.

BeerBaron
03-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Personally I'd like to see us get Oher or A. Smith but it seems like the Bears will go WR. I know everyone has their favorite but if that was the case I hope the Bears get DHB.

DHB sort of looks the part of what we need, but he's still a speedy deep threat finesse player. I'd love Hakeem Nicks.....I know 18 feels high for him and I'd love to trade back and still grab him....I just feel he's the best fit as long as Hester keeps developing.

bearsfan_51
03-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Someone will definately sign St. Clair before the draft if we don't. Free agency has been going for barely over a week. Chips have to fall before the market price can be set.

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-08-2009, 09:53 PM
DHB sort of looks the part of what we need, but he's still a speedy deep threat finesse player. I'd love Hakeem Nicks.....I know 18 feels high for him and I'd love to trade back and still grab him....I just feel he's the best fit as long as Hester keeps developing.

The thing is I keep hearing people knocking DHB calling him a speed guy. He was expected to run the 40-time he ran. He has the best combo of size, speed, and potential.I do like Nicks though, I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him or Britt even.

St. Clair is bad, we know this. Any of the top OT's in the draft should be able to outplay him. But if we can get him very cheap he is versatile and he can provide much needed depth.

Just joined the board obviously so I don't know what you guys think of getting Holt but I really hope the Bears make a play for him.

Smokey Joe
03-08-2009, 09:56 PM
I think DHB has a legit chance at the top 10. You just don't see many wideouts with that combo of size and speed.

BeerBaron
03-08-2009, 09:57 PM
I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd for him, and I'd want him to take quite the pay cut.

He's no longer the #1 we need but he'd at least give us a reliable set of hands and a good route runner.

bearsfan_51
03-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Holt has no incentive at all to take a pay cut.

BeerBaron
03-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Holt has no incentive at all to take a pay cut.

Then he'll probably be cut because no way do the Rams find a partner for an aging receiver with a fairly large contract.

G08
03-08-2009, 11:13 PM
I wouldn't mind having Holt here for a decent price... heck if TO is getting signed for 6.5 million Holt (if cut) shouldn't command more than that. Plus he's 32, not terribly old.

regoob2
03-09-2009, 12:03 AM
DHB is not a finesse player. He's the ******* messiah. He's willing to take a shot.

MidwayMonster31
03-09-2009, 12:27 AM
I'm more of a Britt guy because of how well he uses his size, his route running and his ability to adjust to the ball in the air. He also played in a pro-style offense, so the learning curve will be somewhat smaller. He doesn't necessarily have the big-play ability and sometimes catches the ball with his body.
DHB's upside is on a completely different level compared to Nicks or Britt. He has the size and speed and is not afraid of going over the middle. The main knock on him is how raw he is. One other issue that I see is that he can make big plays, then vanish for stretches in the game. I think that can be solved with better route running. I don't think his hands are as much of an issue as others make it out to be. I would be happy with him, Britt or Nicks.

G08
03-09-2009, 12:29 PM
DHB was actually just on the Hamp and Holmes show, pretty good interview. It's going to be posted up on 670thescore.com if anybody is interested. Basically the kid said his strength is being able to take a 5 yard hitch and turn it into a 90 yard touchdown, or taking an intermediate route and going the distance. He said his weakness is running routes and it's something he is continually working on as his football career has progressed. Hamp asked him if he was a primadonna or a grinder, and DHB said grinder because at one point in his collegiate career the head coach told him that he may just want to consider focusing on track. DHB also said that our coaching staff spent about 15 to 20 minutes with him in Indy talking to him and explaining how we are looking for a WR to help our team.

Seems like a good kid, good head on his shoulders. Said all the right things.

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-09-2009, 02:23 PM
DHB was actually just on the Hamp and Holmes show, pretty good interview. It's going to be posted up on 670thescore.com if anybody is interested. Basically the kid said his strength is being able to take a 5 yard hitch and turn it into a 90 yard touchdown, or taking an intermediate route and going the distance. He said his weakness is running routes and it's something he is continually working on as his football career has progressed. Hamp asked him if he was a primadonna or a grinder, and DHB said grinder because at one point in his collegiate career the head coach told him that he may just want to consider focusing on track. DHB also said that our coaching staff spent about 15 to 20 minutes with him in Indy talking to him and explaining how we are looking for a WR to help our team.

Seems like a good kid, good head on his shoulders. Said all the right things.

Good post. How's this sound..... Holt, Hester, Heyward-Bey.

BeerBaron
03-09-2009, 03:58 PM
So...DHB's greatest strength is catching short stuff and taking it far while one of his weaknesses is route running.

Damn...that sounds awfully familiar to another guy who's initials have a D and an H in them.....now who was that again? Hmm....

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-09-2009, 04:57 PM
So...DHB's greatest strength is catching short stuff and taking it far while one of his weaknesses is route running.

Damn...that sounds awfully familiar to another guy who's initials have a D and an H in them.....now who was that again? Hmm....

Actually I'd say Hester's greatest strength is/was returning but as a WR it's beating everyone deep. But yes both need to work on route running. It's kind of a myth that veteran recievers teach younger guys about things like that but hopefully if we got Holt he would do that.

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Scott's latest Mock has us taking DHB in the first and Duke Robinson in the second. That would be a great draft.

BeerBaron
03-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Actually I'd say Hester's greatest strength is/was returning but as a WR it's beating everyone deep. But yes both need to work on route running. It's kind of a myth that veteran recievers teach younger guys about things like that but hopefully if we got Holt he would do that.

Well, as receivers, both guys have speed as their greatest attribute, and right now, barring anything absurd happening in the meantime, Orton will be our QB headed into next year and with him, throwing anything further than 20 yards through the air is a real crap shoot.

I'm just a big fan of Nicks. I won't be overly upset if we draft DHB, I can see the sense in it...I just like Nicks.

pellepelle_10
03-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Well, as receivers, both guys have speed as their greatest attribute, and right now, barring anything absurd happening in the meantime, Orton will be our QB headed into next year and with him, throwing anything further than 20 yards through the air is a real crap shoot.

I'm just a big fan of Nicks. I won't be overly upset if we draft DHB, I can see the sense in it...I just like Nicks.

looks like we're on the same page as far as wr goes this year buddy. hehe

k0ng
03-09-2009, 08:07 PM
If we're able to trade for or sign Holt I'd be all for DHB. If not, I'd rather us draft Hicks or Britt.

BeerBaron
03-11-2009, 10:08 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1461794,CST-SPT-bear05.article

So, they're saying that rough economics are what is keeping us from spending anything major during free agency. That really kinda blows.....

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-11-2009, 11:30 AM

So, they're saying that rough economics are what is keeping us from spending anything major during free agency. That really kinda blows.....

I think another part of the issue is that we spent alot of money on the Defense last year and they would like to see something for that money.

k0ng
03-11-2009, 12:13 PM

I don't buy that at all. There are other teams in much smaller markets who are spending money. Me thinks the McCrapskeys are just using the recession as an excuse to be cheap.

Although, the only person I would like us to spend money on at this point is Torry Holt.

SFbear
03-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Metcalf is cut.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=5643

PFT also said we signed Josh Bullocks.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Metcalf is cut.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=5643

PFT also said we signed Josh Bullocks.

I like the Bullocks signing. He should be a nice ST player. I wanted the Bears to draft his brother a few years ago.

Metcalf getting snipped was inevitable.

shady00
03-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Josh Bullocks, really? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYJhqDm0L-A)

SFbear
03-11-2009, 07:23 PM

Obviously you could make a 'low'light clip to make any player look pretty terrible, but from what I heard Bullocks is pretty bad. We basically just scraped the bottom of the barrel for some competition at FS.

He was a 2nd rounder so maybe the team sees some upside with him in our system.

Heh. Just noticed him getting stiff armed by Thomas Jones in the NFC championship game.

Flyboy
03-12-2009, 05:26 PM

LOL.

Yeah, you guys have good luck with that one.

BeerBaron
03-12-2009, 08:31 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/12/bears-place-tait-on-reserveretired-list/

Interesting article I came across. Looks like we're really trying hard to bring St. Clair back and he is most interested in returning.

It does say that we're comfortable with Beekman at LG but not Garza at RG. I'm not really comfortable with either but I'm hoping that if we bring St. Clair back, Omiyale becomes at least one of the guards.

And then if we draft an Oher in the first or Loadholt in the 2nd or Topou in the 3rd....perhaps they can take over at RT and St. Clair could move inside.

Williams - St. Clair - Kreutz - Omiyale - Rookie

Wouldn't be too awfully bad...

Splat
03-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Bears move Tait to retired list (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bears-tait&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Kinda sad being a Chiefs fan and all.

BeerBaron
03-12-2009, 11:55 PM
Bears move Tait to retired list (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bears-tait&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Kinda sad being a Chiefs fan and all.

His play was really dropping off last year. He had a good run for both teams, but I would have expected him to be replaced this year whether he wanted to keep going or not.

regoob2
03-13-2009, 01:38 PM

Kinda sad being a Chiefs fan and all.He had a great career. I wish him the best.

BeerBaron
03-13-2009, 04:12 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/13/rams-cut-torry-holt/

Think we'll be interested? Even though he had a real down year by his standards last year, he was better than anything we had and with a worse supporting cast.

I wouldn't overpay for him, but if the price is right, he could at least be a reliable set of hands for us.

Smokey Joe
03-13-2009, 04:13 PM
We should be all over Holt. Vet presence and should at least be decent-good for the next 3 years or so.

regoob2
03-13-2009, 04:27 PM
We should but I dont think we'll out bid the other teams.

Smokey Joe
03-13-2009, 06:20 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/12/bears-place-tait-on-reserveretired-list/

Interesting article I came across. Looks like we're really trying hard to bring St. Clair back and he is most interested in returning.

It does say that we're comfortable with Beekman at LG but not Garza at RG. I'm not really comfortable with either but I'm hoping that if we bring St. Clair back, Omiyale becomes at least one of the guards.

And then if we draft an Oher in the first or Loadholt in the 2nd or Topou in the 3rd....perhaps they can take over at RT and St. Clair could move inside.

Williams - St. Clair - Kreutz - Omiyale - Rookie

Wouldn't be too awfully bad...
I think if we sign St. Clair, we are going to go a different route in the 1st than OLine unless nothing else is there. I could very well see the starting line next year be:

Williams - Beekman/Buenning - Kreutz - Omiyale - St. Clair

However, we still need to bring in a RT in the middle rounds if that's the case.

BeerBaron
03-13-2009, 06:30 PM
I think if we sign St. Clair, we are going to go a different route in the 1st than OLine unless nothing else is there. I could very well see the starting line next year be:

Williams - Beekman/Buenning - Kreutz - Omiyale - St. Clair

However, we still need to bring in a RT in the middle rounds if that's the case.

Even if we bring back St. Clair, I think Oher in 1, Loadholt in 2, or Topou in 3 shouldn't be thrown out as ideas. St. Clair is a good stop gap option but any one of those guys would be a more awesome long term option.

G08
03-13-2009, 09:45 PM
I think you might need a new jersey # for Nicks, seeing as how Dez Clark has the 88 and is rockin' the veteran status. I drafted/edited Nicks in Madden today and I went with 80 haha.

BeerBaron
03-14-2009, 12:09 PM
I think you might need a new jersey # for Nicks, seeing as how Dez Clark has the 88 and is rockin' the veteran status. I drafted/edited Nicks in Madden today and I went with 80 haha.

It's just easier for now so people recognize it, lol. I bet he gets a # in the teens. I always like receivers who wear 'stix' (aka #11.)

bearsfan_51
03-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Signing Holt would be very nice, but we can't forget that he's 33 years old. Considering T.O. got a 1 year-6.5 million dollar deal, Laverneus Coles got 4 years-28 million, and Nate Washington got 6 years-27 million, I'd offer Holt 3 years-18 million. Anything more than that is just too much.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-14-2009, 06:41 PM
I don't see Holt as a realistic possibility.

He's going to want to go to a place where he can win right away and be with a team that can rejuvenate his career.

Having a franchise QB is a great recruiting tool. Not many receivers, especially with Holt's resume are interesting in catching passes from Kyle Orton. It's probably tough for most to swallow, but it's true.

bearsfan_51
03-14-2009, 06:46 PM
T.O. went to Trent Edwards and the Buffalo Bills.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-14-2009, 06:47 PM
T.O. went to Trent Edwards and the Buffalo Bills.

Who else was interested?

bearsfan_51
03-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Hard to say. Probably at least 2-3 other teams. I don't think the market for Holt is going to be all that hot either. He's 33 and had 3 touchdowns and 60 some catches last year. For the vet minimum I'm sure everyone would love to have him. But for 6-7 mil? It's going to take a team that still needs a #1 guy and believes he can handle it.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Hard to say. Probably at least 2-3 other teams. I don't think the market for Holt is going to be all that hot either. He's 33 and had 3 touchdowns and 60 some catches last year. For the vet minimum I'm sure everyone would love to have him. But for 6-7 mil? It's going to take a team that still needs a #1 guy and believes he can handle it.

I think Bills were probably the only team willing to take a shot with TO right away. Who knows though.

It's just hard for me to picture Holt in a Bears uniform. I think the Eagles would be a really good fit for Holt.

We shall see.

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-14-2009, 11:16 PM
He's going to want to go to a place where he can win right away and be with a team that can rejuvenate his career.

The appealing thing about Chicago is that he would be our number 1 WR.

BeerBaron
03-15-2009, 09:29 AM
The appealing thing about Chicago is that he would be our number 1 WR.

It's also not like we're some garbage team either. We were one win away from making the playoffs and we're apparently going forward with a "win now" attitude from the sounds of things.

Smokey Joe
03-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Looks like we're shifting Idonije back outside to DE. I don't mind it as he's just okay at either, but when he was lighter, he was a beast ST player. I just hope all the switching around and weight gain and then weight loss doesn't screw him up.

bearsfan_51
03-16-2009, 09:43 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/03/cleveland_browns_visit_with_an.html

St. Clair meeting with the Browns. Hopefully this will set the market and we can move on one way or the other.

bearsfan_51
03-16-2009, 10:09 AM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=5653

Zack Bowman moving to free safety, Omiyale to play left guard.

BeerBaron
03-16-2009, 10:11 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/03/cleveland_browns_visit_with_an.html

St. Clair meeting with the Browns. Hopefully this will set the market and we can move on one way or the other.

Our options other than St. Clair look terrible:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/03/exploring_the_options_at_tackl.html

Out of that list, the only guy I'd really even consider is Pace if he came cheap and short term....yuck.

Please JA, just bring him back....nows not the time to be stingy.

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-16-2009, 12:11 PM
The Bears actually offered St. Clair a contract worth about 1.5 a year.

Any of the Top OT's in the draft would be better than St. Clair.

bearsfan_51
03-16-2009, 01:52 PM
I'd have to agree. St. Clair is a marginal starter. A guy that I would like to keep on the team for the deal Angelo offered (let's say even at an extra 750k per year) but nothing more. I don't want him starting for more than this year, so the rest of the deal is for a backup swing player, which we could draft pretty easily too. I can't imagine Cleveland offering him much more anyway though, since they aren't guaranteeing him a starting spot. I'd guess that he finds he can't get much more than Jerry offered, and if he does, I really don't care.

BeerBaron
03-16-2009, 01:54 PM
I'd have to agree. St. Clair is a marginal starter. A guy that I would like to keep on the team for the deal Angelo offered (let's say even at an extra 750k per year) but nothing more. I don't want him starting for more than this year, so the rest of the deal is for a backup swing player, which we could draft pretty easily too. I can't imagine Cleveland offering him much more anyway though, since they aren't guaranteeing him a starting spot. I'd guess that he finds he can't get much more than Jerry offered, and if he does, I really don't care.

At the stage of his career that he's in, if our offer is even close to Cleveland's hopefully he goes with us. We can guarantee him a starting spot this year in an offense system he's familiar with.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-16-2009, 05:28 PM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=5653

Zack Bowman moving to free safety, Omiyale to play left guard.

This is great news on both fronts, IMO.

I was a big fan of Bowman when we drafted him and liked the potential at FS. He could be good there. It's hard to ever see him staying healthy though.

awfullyquiet
03-17-2009, 05:17 AM
The Bears actually offered St. Clair a contract worth about 1.5 a year.

Any of the Top OT's in the draft would be better than St. Clair.

any top ot in the draft would also cost 40-60 times as much as st. clair.

Smokey Joe
03-17-2009, 07:32 AM
At the stage of his career that he's in, if our offer is even close to Cleveland's hopefully he goes with us. We can guarantee him a starting spot this year in an offense system he's familiar with.
We better not guarantee him a starting spot. We can guarantee him competition and and chance at starting. Guaranteeing anyone a starting spot is really stupid and I doubt any GM or coach would do that.

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-17-2009, 08:17 AM
any top ot in the draft would also cost 40-60 times as much as st. clair.

Honestly even a 3rd rounder could outplay St. Clair. So what your saying by pointing that out is that you don't want the best player possible, you just want the cheapest? And I really don't think it would be 40-60 times as much either....... I mean let's see if St. Clair is making 1.5 million a year 40x that would be?.......60 million a year, I think you over estimated that one.

BeerBaron
03-17-2009, 09:08 AM
We better not guarantee him a starting spot. We can guarantee him competition and and chance at starting. Guaranteeing anyone a starting spot is really stupid and I doubt any GM or coach would do that.

I know it'd be nice to draft a RT, but for right now, we could easily be like "Look, we have a hole at RT and could use upgrades at both G spots, you'll be starting here someplace next year." And maybe that would seal it...idk.

G08
03-17-2009, 10:20 AM
I know it'd be nice to draft a RT, but for right now, we could easily be like "Look, we have a hole at RT and could use upgrades at both G spots, you'll be starting here someplace next year." And maybe that would seal it...idk.

I think he's just looking to get any better contract, and then he's going to come back to us and ask us to match.

The guy was solid as a backup but I think he was a bit too much of a turnstyle last season at LT. Would he be better at RT? I don't know, probably. But this isn't like he's the next best thing at RT, he's a stop gap and should be paid as such, IMO.

awfullyquiet
03-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Honestly even a 3rd rounder could outplay St. Clair. So what your saying by pointing that out is that you don't want the best player possible, you just want the cheapest? And I really don't think it would be 40-60 times as much either....... I mean let's see if St. Clair is making 1.5 million a year 40x that would be?.......60 million a year, I think you over estimated that one.

Well, considering contracts have been going up considerably... and the dolphins DID sign jake long for 57 million...

SFbear
03-17-2009, 05:06 PM
http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/03/st_clair_bolts_for_browns.html

St. Clair signs with the Browns.

BeerBaron
03-17-2009, 05:07 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/17/st-clair-lands-in-cleveland/

St. Clair signed with Cleveland....

I suppose it's not huge loss, but ****....we still only have 1 real tackle on the roster.

Edit: bah....beat to it.

SFbear
03-17-2009, 05:11 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/17/st-clair-lands-in-cleveland/

St. Clair signed with Cleveland....

I suppose it's not huge loss, but ****....we still only have 1 real tackle on the roster.

Edit: bah....beat to it.

Well on the plus side our team is getting a lot younger whether we want to or not.

BeerBaron
03-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Well on the plus side our team is getting a lot younger whether we want to or not.

It's true. I bet we pull a Jacksonville and bring in a stop gap veteran though. Someone like Pace or Runyan or someone like that....I posted a link to a big list of FA RT options a few days ago.

Even if they're old, i'll take one cheap just to serve as a stop-gap if we don't get another, younger guy through the draft.

bearsfan_51
03-17-2009, 05:25 PM
I'd rather just draft someone in the first three rounds and start them right away.

I agree on the age thing though. Demond Clark is the oldest guy on the team (not counting special teams) and he's 31.

Cerni88
03-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Tough situation now. I think drafting a guard within the first 3 rounds is over now. We need a vet presence at T. Our currents starting tackles were rookies last year and 0 career starts. I guess it depends on how good they feel about Cody. Hopefully they have a good idea and not playing another guessing game if this guy can come in perform now.

SFbear
03-17-2009, 05:54 PM
I'd rather just draft someone in the first three rounds and start them right away.

I agree on the age thing though. Demond Clark is the oldest guy on the team (not counting special teams) and he's 31.

It feels like were rebuilding since everywhere we seem to be taking youth with upside over a solid vet presence. But can Lovie and Turner really afford a year of rebuilding? They need to win now.

bearsfan_51
03-17-2009, 05:56 PM
It feels like were rebuilding since everywhere we seem to be taking youth with upside over a solid vet presence. But can Lovie and Turner really afford a year of rebuilding? They need to win now.
As much as we'd like to think that they do, I don't think so.

Dave Wansteadt got 6 years. Think about that.

BeerBaron
03-17-2009, 06:07 PM

So would I, but there's a chance the best guys available in each round go before us.

I doubt Oher or Andre Smith are there at 18. Loadholt could go before our 2nd rounder, and Topou could go before our pick in the 3rd.

And those guys are some of my ideal RT options.

Thats why I think we might just try and bring in a cheap veteran stop gap for worst case scenario.

Smokey Joe
03-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Eben Britton would be a good fit as well. We need a RT, and we can't sit around and hope one falls to us, even if that means we have to reach a bit.

As for the interior, we're set for right now. We signed Omiyale with every intention of moving him inside. It looks as if LG is Omiyale's job to lose. As for RG, it will likely be a competition of Garza and Buenning. Beekman will probably compete for LG but will likely be the backup LG and C if Omiyale does win the job. If anything, we'll bring in a late round pick for a comp body and competiton.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-17-2009, 08:26 PM
So would I, but there's a chance the best guys available in each round go before us.

I doubt Oher or Andre Smith are there at 18. Loadholt could go before our 2nd rounder, and Topou could go before our pick in the 3rd.

And those guys are some of my ideal RT options.

Thats why I think we might just try and bring in a cheap veteran stop gap for worst case scenario.

Loadholt is like a 4th rounder.

No way any team takes him before the Bears pick in the second round. I highly doubt the Bears would draft a stiff like him. And if they did it wouldn't be with the idea of starting him his rookie year.

pellepelle_10
03-17-2009, 09:33 PM
For those Hakeem Nicks fans: Here's something to crack a little smile over

Bears | Nicks to go through private workouts
Mon, 16 Mar 2009 23:49:58 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Chicago Bears will put North Carolina WR Hakeem Nicks through a private workout.

pellepelle_10
03-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Nevermind...I'm late to the show..lol

shady00
03-18-2009, 12:22 AM
Put Omiyale at RT and draft Herman Johnson in the 2nd?

Or draft Loadholt in the 2nd and keep Omiyale at LG

Monomach
03-18-2009, 02:26 AM
Loadholt is like a 4th rounder.

No way any team takes him before the Bears pick in the second round. I highly doubt the Bears would draft a stiff like him. And if they did it wouldn't be with the idea of starting him his rookie year.

This is wrong.

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Well, considering contracts have been going up considerably... and the dolphins DID sign jake long for 57 million...

57 MILLION A YEAR!!!!!??????

Why do I even try.

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-18-2009, 09:03 AM
St. Clair being gone changes nothing. He was horrible and I am glad he's gone. OT has been our top priority at the 18th pick and still is.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-19-2009, 12:26 AM
This is wrong.

Ill sig bet this

regoob2
03-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Ill sig bet thisI'll take that bet. That Loadholt wont last until the 4th.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-19-2009, 02:50 PM
I'll take that bet. That Loadholt wont last until the 4th.

How long on the sig?

I don't think he will go in the top 96.

Let me know.

regoob2
03-19-2009, 10:46 PM
How long on the sig?

I don't think he will go in the top 96.

Let me know.2 weeks. I have another one with Shady. We on? I am!

BeerBaron
03-19-2009, 10:57 PM
2 weeks. I have another one with Shady. We on? I am!

Your going to want to kill yourself if the early part of the draft goes according to my sig, heh....

regoob2
03-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Your going to want to kill yourself if the early part of the draft goes according to my sig, heh....Well Id win one and lose one.

regoob2
03-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Your going to want to kill yourself if the early part of the draft goes according to my sig, heh....Well Id win one and lose one. Id be extremely happy if our day 1 went like that.

BeerBaron
03-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Well Id win one and lose one.

Oh, yeah, right. I thought you were the anti-Loadholt one for a second there.

Well...I don't see Loadholt lasting until the 4th. 3rd maybe...but he's going to be a monster RT for someone imo.

regoob2
03-19-2009, 11:06 PM
Oh, yeah, right. I thought you were the anti-Loadholt one for a second there.

Well...I don't see Loadholt lasting until the 4th. 3rd maybe...but he's going to be a monster RT for someone imo.
Id be a hell of a hypocrite with Loadholt as the 2nd pick in my sig. ;)

BeerBaron
03-20-2009, 11:38 AM
http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/03/napervilles_earl_could_be_sign.html

We might sign S Glenn Earl. Another mediocre "depth at best" type safety, just what we need.

bearsfan_51
03-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Earl was actually a good, starting NFL safety when he was healthy. Not that I would expect you to know that.

The biggest issue with Earl is that he's more of a box safety, and we already have two of those. That said, he could give Payne and Steltz a run for their money.

BeerBaron
03-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Earl was actually a good, starting NFL safety when he was healthy. Not that I would expect you to know that.

The biggest issue with Earl is that he's more of a box safety, and we already have two of those. That said, he could give Payne and Steltz a run for their money.

Two years out of football typically causes some issues. Since I doubt we're going to draft a worthwhile safety high, it doesn't bother me too much as long its a vet minimum one year deal type of thing.

That way if they don't do well and fail out, they can be cleaned out next year with no repercussions. And then maybe we can grab someone like Antonie Bethea in free agency or, if we really suck, draft one high like Eric Berry.

regoob2
03-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Two years out of football typically causes some issues. Since I doubt we're going to draft a worthwhile safety high, it doesn't bother me too much as long its a vet minimum one year deal type of thing.

That way if they don't do well and fail out, they can be cleaned out next year with no repercussions. And then maybe we can grab someone like Antonie Bethea in free agency or, if we really suck, draft one high like Eric Berry.
I hope we dont lose that much next season to where Berry is an option.

shady00
03-20-2009, 03:23 PM
I hope we dont lose that much next season to where Berry is an option.
I'd lose for Taylor Mays.

Cerni88
03-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Isnt Earl the safety that Benson injured in preseason? Back when it was Cedric Bonecrusher Benson

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-20-2009, 04:16 PM
I'd lose for Taylor Mays.

Berry is way better than Mays..

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Berry is way better than Mays..

He's way better? Don't know about that one.

BeerBaron
03-20-2009, 05:57 PM
I'd never intentionally lose for anyone, no matter what. But if we did suck, Berry would be an awesome Ed Reed-esque free safety for us. He's badass.

Oh, and this:

http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2009/03/weaver_agrees_to_terms_with_ea.html

Weaver off the market.....I'd have loved to bring him in. Combo power running back and full back....would have been nice. Instead we keep bringing in mediocre safeties and o-lineman with 1 career start.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-20-2009, 06:50 PM
He's way better? Don't know about that one.

Berry is going to be arguably a better safety prospect than Sean Taylor was when he came out.

It's not even close.

http://3rdsaturdayinblogtober.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/berry2.gif

Smokey Joe
03-20-2009, 09:06 PM
I see us picking in the top 10 next year... so there should/would be a lot of options for us.

bearsfan_51
03-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Isnt Earl the safety that Benson injured in preseason? Back when it was Cedric Bonecrusher Benson
Yeah it was. Like I said, Earl is known for being an in the box, hard-hitting safety. Benson definitely got the better of him on that play though.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Yeah it was. Like I said, Earl is known for being an in the box, hard-hitting safety. Benson definitely got the better of him on that play though.

Well, that is certainly an understatement, lol.

That was a nice run by Benson. It's a shame about Cedric. I always really liked him and didn't mind his personality. He's going to make a decent living as a complement back. Forte & Benson could have been really good last year. Ugh.

I thought during the SB year Benson was awesome and really helped TJ out a lot more than he got credit for.

If he never got hurt in that San Francisco game I think things would have been a lot different.

I see us picking in the top 10 next year... so there should/would be a lot of options for us.

I thought the same thing this year. I still think with the division the way it is we will stay just out of the top 10, as usual.

pellepelle_10
03-20-2009, 10:25 PM

That was a nice run by Benson. It's a shame about Cedric. I always really liked him and didn't mind his personality. He's going to make a decent living as a complement back. Forte & Benson could have been really good last year. Ugh.

I thought during the SB year Benson was awesome and really helped TJ out a lot more than he got credit for.

If he never got hurt in that San Francisco game I think things would have been a lot different.

I thought the same thing this year. I still think with the division the way it is we will stay just out of the top 10, as usual.

I think either way you look at it he would have been a cancer. It wasn't his play ability that ruined him. It was that piss poor attitude of his. It was bound to occur regardless. I think him being cut from Chicago and sitting a large majority of the season "could" have provided a reality check for him. I hope it has.

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Berry is going to be arguably a better safety prospect than Sean Taylor was when he came out.

It's not even close.

I would rather have Mays.

I basically could not disagree more with everything you say.

MidwayMonster31
03-21-2009, 05:40 PM
The only real factor in Benson's undoing was his attitude. Holding out long into camp is one of the worst things that a rookie can do for his career. He did not show much desire when he was in Chicago, getting cut was his wake-up call. I think that he would've had the same problems if he stayed in Chicago.

Smokey Joe
03-21-2009, 08:07 PM
The Vikings and Packers are only getting better and the Lions are the Lions.

And besides, last year I thought we'd be decent, and we were. We aren't getting much better while the teams we are competing with are. I think we are almost a lock for the top 10, but I'll reserve final judgment until after the draft and FA is done.

bearsfan_51
03-21-2009, 08:25 PM
I don't think the Packers are any better. The switch to the 3-4 is going to take some time.

The Vikings are about the same as they were last year, just a year older.

I thought we'd finish 4-12 last year, I think we're in better shape now than I did then.

Smokey Joe
03-21-2009, 09:44 PM
I don't think the Packers are any better. The switch to the 3-4 is going to take some time.

The Vikings are about the same as they were last year, just a year older.

I thought we'd finish 4-12 last year, I think we're in better shape now than I did then.
I don't see how we will be in any better shape. We've got a pretty terrible safety duo as of now, our DLine will hopefully be improved under the guidance of Marinelli, but who knows, and our Offense won't really be any improved. We have a ton of needs right now and I see us being worse.

The Vikings have Sage Rosenfalls to compete at QB with Tavaris Jackson, and I firmly believe both are A LOT better than Ferrerote. They will be a year older, but considering they aren't all that old to begin with, they will be more experienced and with the draft, they can only improve. They have a clear edge.

As for the Packers, they could really cause a lot of problems with their D. There are only 2-3 other 3-4 teams in the conference and the NFC North has rarely faced a 3-4 team in the past 2 years. Also, their offense will likely be very potent again, and probably better. Aaron Rodgers showed he is a pro-bowl caliber QB. I think they can be back to that form they were 2 years ago. I think last year for them had more to do with the Favre fiasco and not everyone on the same page.

I really don't see how we can compete with either of those teams.

bearsfan_51
03-21-2009, 11:24 PM
That's just stupid dude. The Vikings and Packers have done NOTHING more to improve themselves than we have. All of the things you listed were issues last year too and we went 9-7.

Tarvaris Jackson? Sage Rosenfels? Are you ******* serious?

As for the Packers, a big reason they lost a lot last year is because their defense is trash and couldn't stop anyone in the run game. Switching to a 3-4 isn't going to change that in one offseason.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-22-2009, 04:27 AM
I just noticed Ronald Curry is still a FA.

I wouldn't mind giving him a look.

He's often injured, but a really good athlete and can play a bit. He had a horrendous season, though.

Smokey Joe
03-22-2009, 09:08 AM
That's just stupid dude. The Vikings and Packers have done NOTHING more to improve themselves than we have. All of the things you listed were issues last year too and we went 9-7.

Tarvaris Jackson? Sage Rosenfels? Are you ******* serious?

As for the Packers, a big reason they lost a lot last year is because their defense is trash and couldn't stop anyone in the run game. Switching to a 3-4 isn't going to change that in one offseason.
They haven't done anything more than us, but they have far less holes then us and they can gain more from the draft than we can. The Packers and Vikings are both better than us, and I guarantee you they will be 1 and 2 in the North. We need upgrades at about 10 positions, which is almost half of the starters. We might be decent, but we are in worse shape than last year.

bearsfan_51
03-22-2009, 09:39 AM
That argument might hold water if it wasn't for the fact that we won 3 more games than the Packers last year.

Like I said, I thought we'd win 4 games last year, so I was never that sold on the greatness of this team. However, the Packers were an awful team last year. To chalk that up to Brett Favre is just dumb. Their defense is sucks.

BeerBaron
03-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Their defense was pretty terrible, and Ryan Grant just wasn't the same either. If anything, they only won 6 games because Rodgers was decent.

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Opening game is at Green Bay.

I HATE THE PACKERS.

BeerBaron
03-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Woo. I like it when our games are on primetime. No having to go through backwater sites to get them.

pellepelle_10
03-23-2009, 06:35 PM
Woo. I like it when our games are on primetime. No having to go through backwater sites to get them.

DirecTV and NFL Ticket. It's the best x-mas gift a guy can get. I highly HIGHLY recommend it.

BeerBaron
03-23-2009, 06:55 PM
DirecTV and NFL Ticket. It's the best x-mas gift a guy can get. I highly HIGHLY recommend it.

Well, I don't get DirecTV at school, and most apartments don't let you put in dishes....so I'm stuck with Comcast here...

And I've also heard that with Sunday ticket, you still can sometimes not get all of the games.

Smokey Joe
03-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Apparently the Cards are shopping Boldin and the asking price is a mid 1st... JA is hopefully all over this.

BeerBaron
03-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Apparently the Cards are shopping Boldin and the asking price is a mid 1st... JA is hopefully all over this.

I would be. a Mid first? seriously? That'd be badass if thats all it cost us....

bearsfan_51
03-23-2009, 08:22 PM
What's the source?

Smokey Joe
03-23-2009, 08:26 PM
670 the score. I didn't hear, but someone on a different board I frequent heard it.

VoteLynnSwan
03-24-2009, 12:28 AM
Getting a proven WR who's better than any of the guys who'd be available at that position ever will be would be amazing. Money will be an issue though, i think that alone would prevent it from happening.

I think the Cards would be looking for another pick or two though.

sweetness34
03-24-2009, 01:04 AM
I would rather have Mays.

I basically could not disagree more with everything you say.

Then disagree with it by stating your opinion on how the hell you think Taylor Mays is better than Eric Berry as a prospect. Berry as a prospect is in the same league as Sean Taylor, or close to it.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-24-2009, 01:08 AM
Berry would probably go #5 overall to the Browns if he was in this years draft.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-24-2009, 01:12 AM
The 2007 game where Adrian Peterson skull fked our defense is on NFL Network right now.

It's pretty hard to watch.

Archuleta got benched (lol), McGowan looks like a dog, and Danieal Manning was just dreadful.

Brian Griese at the helm.. LoL.

Hester's return in this game makes me wonder what we were watching last season with him.

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-24-2009, 08:02 AM
Then disagree with it by stating your opinion on how the hell you think Taylor Mays is better than Eric Berry as a prospect. Berry as a prospect is in the same league as Sean Taylor, or close to it.

You sound exactly like the other guy. Doesn't give you alot of credit to me and dropping Sean Taylor's name doesn't do alot either.

BTW....

Sean Taylor 6'2" 212
Taylor Mays 6'3" 230
Eric Berry 5'11" 203

Sorry if I would rather have the bigger more physical player in Mays. If Mays came out this year he prob. would have been a top ten pick, so what. Why do I need to do anything? Show me how Berry is the most sure thing at safety ever, which is what you sure seem to think.

BeerBaron
03-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Hester's return in this game makes me wonder what we were watching last season with him.

If you look in front of him, you probably see Brenden Ayanbadejo blocking for him. Didn't have that this year...

regoob2
03-24-2009, 11:35 AM
670 the score. I didn't hear, but someone on a different board I frequent heard it.Sorry but this Boldin trade **** has been going on forever. Until the Cards come out and say it I dont care.

You sound exactly like the other guy. Doesn't give you alot of credit to me and dropping Sean Taylor's name doesn't do alot either.

BTW....

Sean Taylor 6'2" 212
Taylor Mays 6'3" 230
Eric Berry 5'11" 203

Sorry if I would rather have the bigger more physical player in Mays. If Mays came out this year he prob. would have been a top ten pick, so what. Why do I need to do anything? Show me how Berry is the most sure thing at safety ever, which is what you sure seem to think.
Wasnt Sean 232lbs?

shady00
03-24-2009, 03:23 PM
I prefer Mays over Berry. If I was a receiver I would think twice before going over the middle knowing Mays is just waiting to take my head off.

BeerBaron
03-24-2009, 05:20 PM
I prefer Mays over Berry. If I was a receiver I would think twice before going over the middle knowing Mays is just waiting to take my head off.

If I was a QB trying to throw the ball, I'd think twice about throwing to the side of the field that Berry is lurking on.

Neither would I be upset with, but I think Berry is closest to the roaming, ballhawking Ed Reed type that we need out of the two.

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Wasnt Sean 232lbs?

I got the height/weight from NFL.com

They could be wrong though.

MidwayMonster31
03-24-2009, 10:25 PM
If we stink next year, give me Jevan Snead and Deunta Williams, even though they're both underclassmen. Berry and Mays are terrific, but I would prefer Snead, if he's there.

pellepelle_10
03-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Well, I don't get DirecTV at school, and most apartments don't let you put in dishes....so I'm stuck with Comcast here...

And I've also heard that with Sunday ticket, you still can sometimes not get all of the games.

That blows man. Hopefully Comcast will buck up and get it. I dont know why they don't. DirecTV has made a killing off of it.

The only time you don't get the games is if its nationally televised. Other than that you'll get them. I've had NFL Sunday ticket for 5yrs and counting. I haven't miss a single Bears game since.

BeerBaron
03-24-2009, 11:28 PM
If we stink next year, give me Jevan Snead and Deunta Williams, even though they're both underclassmen. Berry and Mays are terrific, but I would prefer Snead, if he's there.

What if Orton actually plays well and it's our pass defense that kills us game after game?

Unlikely, sure, but hey, people were talking about a new FS and Berry is the best that will be around next year.

That blows man. Hopefully Comcast will buck up and get it. I dont know why they don't. DirecTV has made a killing off of it.

The only time you don't get the games is if its nationally televised. Other than that you'll get them. I've had NFL Sunday ticket for 5yrs and counting. I haven't miss a single Bears game since.

Hmm, I guess I've heard some untrue things about it then.

But yeah, until Comcast picks it up I think I'm just screwed, lol

G08
03-24-2009, 11:40 PM
What if Orton actually plays well and it's our pass defense that kills us game after game?

Unlikely, sure, but hey, people were talking about a new FS and Berry is the best that will be around next year.

Hmm, I guess I've heard some untrue things about it then.

But yeah, until Comcast picks it up I think I'm just screwed, lol

Why don't you go to a sports bar or find a feed on the internet? I've been stuck in Boston for the past four years, and every Sunday I'd be over at one of two sports bars watching the beloved.

BeerBaron
03-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Why don't you go to a sports bar or find a feed on the internet? I've been stuck in Boston for the past four years, and every Sunday I'd be over at one of two sports bars watching the beloved.

Oh, I have been finding feeds on the internet. The sites only seem to last a few weeks though......not exactly the most legal of places it seems.

Thats why they're hard to find. I was alright last season for the most part....I could usually come up with one before each game.

sweetness34
03-24-2009, 11:51 PM
Re-reading my post it appears that I was comparing Berry to Taylor and that was not my intention.

What I had meant to say was that he's the best safety prospect since Taylor, but he definitely is more in the Ed Reed mold.

VoteLynnSwan
03-25-2009, 12:47 AM
It's not even worth talking about next year's draft at this point. Too much will change between now and then, hell, we haven't even seen this year's draft yet.

BeerBaron
03-25-2009, 02:49 PM
It's not even worth talking about next year's draft at this point. Too much will change between now and then, hell, we haven't even seen this year's draft yet.

I think it just got brought up because we're really only placing quick fixes on the FS spot this year. Enough that means we likely won't draft an immediate impact guy at the position, but not enough to where we'll still need to look for one next year.

shady00
03-25-2009, 03:33 PM
We scheduled a workout with Britt

BeerBaron
03-25-2009, 03:47 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/25/bears-browns-complete-de-facto-tackle-swap/

I had a sneaking feeling that we would sign some sort of stop gap RT just in the off chance we can't draft someone.

Doesn't say monetary value but I sure as hell hope we didn't pay Shaffer more than we offered St. Clair or this 'swap' would be just ********.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-25-2009, 03:59 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/25/bears-browns-complete-de-facto-tackle-swap/

I had a sneaking feeling that we would sign some sort of stop gap RT just in the off chance we can't draft someone.

Doesn't say monetary value but I sure as hell hope we didn't pay Shaffer more than we offered St. Clair or this 'swap' would be just ********.

I really hope this doesn't mean we would pass on Michael Oher.

I haven't watched the Browns at all recently. I remember when Shaffer came over from the Falcons during that huge Browns spending spree how ever long ago that was. There was some hype behind him being a good player.

B51 is an Ohio guy (I think) maybe he has seen the Browns and Shaffer.

I don't really know what to think of this, but I really want Omiyale at guard and not RT.

Geo
03-25-2009, 04:00 PM
I think Shaffer will be a competent starter, good signing for the Bears.

BeerBaron
03-25-2009, 04:00 PM
I really hope this doesn't mean we would pass on Michael Oher.

I haven't watched the Browns at all recently. I remember when Shaffer came over from the Falcons during that huge Browns spending spree how ever long ago that was. There was some hype behind him being a good player.

B51 is an Ohio guy (I think) maybe he has seen the Browns and Shaffer.

I don't really know what to think, but I really want Omiyale at guard and not RT.

Well, they cut Shaffer for St. Clair....so I doubt he's any sort of upgrade.

Like I said, hopefully a stop gap only....Plan B in case we can't draft one early.