PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Chicago Bears General Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Cerni88
03-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Very very nice. No experience at both T spots could've meant disaster. I had a feeling this was coming before the draft. He is only 29 years old. That can definately be more than a stop gap. And i didnt know he was a Tulsa boy like Lovie.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Well, they cut Shaffer for St. Clair....so I doubt he's any sort of upgrade.

Like I said, hopefully a stop gap only....Plan B in case we can't draft one early.

Shaffer had a decent sized contract didn't he? It probably was more financial.

I really hope it's a dirt cheap deal so it won't alter the draft plans.

BeerBaron
03-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Very very nice. No experience at both T spots could've meant disaster. I had a feeling this was coming before the draft. He is only 29 years old. That can definately be more than a stop gap. And i didnt know he was a Tulsa boy like Lovie.

It doesn't mean we should pass on an Oher or someone though. Like 51 was saying a few days back, it's real easy to stick a college tackle into guard and have him succeed still.

Then if injuries, age or ineffectiveness start taking their toll, he can be slid back out easy.

A line of:

Williams - Oher/Omiyale - Kreutz - Oher/Omiyale - Shaffer

Might not be too awful.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-25-2009, 04:15 PM
It doesn't mean we should pass on an Oher or someone though. Like 51 was saying a few days back, it's real easy to stick a college tackle into guard and have him succeed still.

Then if injuries, age or ineffectiveness start taking their toll, he can be slid back out easy.

A line of:

Williams - Oher/Omiyale - Kreutz - Oher/Omiyale - Shaffer

Might not be too awful.

I wonder if Shaffer can play guard. It says his strength is in the run game. He's got a big guard type body at 6'5 315.

BeerBaron
03-25-2009, 04:18 PM
I wonder if Shaffer can play guard. It says his strength is in the run game. He's got a big guard type body at 6'5 315.

Versatility is never a bad thing. I could have sworn though that early in his career, Shaffer was a little ZBS type tackle around 300 pounds which scared me a little with us signing him. But I guess he's bulked up.

SFbear
03-25-2009, 04:19 PM
I feel good about the Shaffer signing since it gives a lot more freedom with our first pick. I feel better about using the first to grab a top notch WR prospect or trade for Boldin, Edwards, Cutler or Quinn.

And now for some Cutler rumor mongering:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AloanOjHHvYenSO1ltxvYReE2bYF?slug=cr-cutler032509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

"At some point in the process, the Detroit Lions and Chicago Bears also expressed interest in Cutler. The depth of that interest is unknown, but both teams are still thought to be in play if Cutler once again becomes available."

Good to hear were trying though I don't think we have much of a shot of outbidding the other teams.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-25-2009, 04:22 PM
Looks like Shaffer only gave up 4.5 sacks last year in 15 starts.. That is not bad at all. He's probably better than most of us think, lol.

The more I think about this signing the more I like it depending on the money.

I'd love to see us draft Oher stick him at guard and then move him to RT in the offseason. And if Shaffer is still around move him to guard in 2010.

The OL is definitely in much better shape if Williams pans out.

bearsfan_51
03-25-2009, 04:22 PM
I moved to Minneapolis a few years ago so I don't watch the Browns anymore.

I've seen a bit of Schaffer. I'd rather have him than St. Clair so in that regard I'm ok with the signing.

BeerBaron
03-25-2009, 04:24 PM
I came up with a totally unrealistic way we could make our offense awesome. Totally unrealistic though. And now a little outdated by this signing I guess.

Firstly, trade our first straight up for Boldin.

Next, trade our 2nd, Urlacher and maybe some future picks or Orton to get Cutler. Urlacher's been slowing down and if it gets us a great QB, I'd trade him. He has good size and ability for the 3-4 ILB.

Then trade our 3rd and 5th and maybe some future picks to Buffalo for Jason Peters to play RT.

Be expensive and it would never, ever happen, but that would be like a one offseason shot to our offense for damn sure, lol.

regoob2
03-25-2009, 04:31 PM
He's a much better run blocker and he gave us less than half as many sacks. Also 3 years younger. Sounds like an upgrade to me.

Cerni88
03-25-2009, 04:31 PM
I hate when Bears fans want to trade Urlacher. 2 years ago he was the reason Briggs was a pro bowler now 2 down years for the team as a whole and Urlacher is nose diving. He still plays at a high level.

I doubt Peters can be had for a 3rd and a 5th.

If we aquire Boldin for a first, this team is in serious contention for the NFC.

MidwayMonster31
03-25-2009, 04:32 PM
This helps. I would still like to see them draft a tackle. At least we don't have to pick a tackle because we have to. Reaching for Britton is not necessary anymore. We still have options.

BeerBaron
03-25-2009, 04:34 PM
I hate when Bears fans want to trade Urlacher. 2 years ago he was the reason Briggs was a pro bowler now 2 down years for the team as a whole and Urlacher is nose diving. He still plays at a high level.

If we aquire Boldin for a first, this team is in serious contention for the NFC.

Haha, I know, it's totally unrealistic. Wasn't meant to be serious.

And I'm against trading Urlacher in most cases. Still one of the league's better linebackers, well respected by the team, sees the field well and diagnoses the situations.

But if it got us Cutler, I'd sent him out in a heartbeat. Move Briggs inside, move Jamar Williams up the depth chart, draft a guy mid-late for depth.

Not gonna happen though.

This helps. I would still like to see them draft a tackle. At least we don't have to pick a tackle because we have to. Reaching for Britton is not necessary anymore. We still have options.

I'll have to update my sig next time I rip off a new mock draft.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-25-2009, 04:38 PM

Lance Briggs was a pro bowler, because he is a great player and was tailor made to play WLB in the NFL.

Brian Urlacher wasn't the reason Briggs was meeting RBs in the hole one on one and stopping them right in their tracks and racking up huge tackle numbers.

Urlacher's play has been significantly dropping, but, I agree we need to ride him out, because he is a very important piece to the defense. Lovie Smith will be fired before he can find another LBer that could play the center field position at LB like Urlacher has over the years.

I'd trade up in the draft for Sanchez if the team is sold on Shaffer at RT. I don't see Cutler as a realistic possibility.

BeerBaron
03-25-2009, 04:43 PM
I'd trade up in the draft for Sanchez if the team is sold on Shaffer at RT. I don't see Cutler as a realistic possibility.

I don't see why not. The Bronco's would probably jump on our first rounder and like a 3rd (probably exactly what we'd use to trade up for an unproven rookie as your saying.)

If we do think Shaffer can be our RT for a little while, I'd give them whatever picks they'd want for Cutler.

bearsfan_51
03-25-2009, 05:40 PM
I'd easily trade Urlacher for a late 1st or a 2nd and a 3rd, but nobody would offer that.

rhamby8181
03-25-2009, 05:44 PM
According to the scouting report on Shaffer, his athletic ability was exposed at LT, but performed admirably at RT since he didn't have to face elite speed-rushers. He's a hard worker that is not very nimble or fluid. Has trouble with his pad level and lacks the ability to consistently play the game low. Has very good power and pushes defensive linemen backwards as a power blocker. He is a thumper who plays to the whistle and is bright enough to get the most out of his physical abilities. Not much upside, but is good enough to win with, especially with an elite talent on the other side. According to ESPN he scores out at 66 compared to St. Clair's 62.

Sounds like an upgrade, and hopefully this allows us to not have to reach for a 2nd round RT with our 1st round pick. At the very least it allows us to wait until our 2nd or 3rd and use our 1st on the WR we really need (DHB, Nicks, or Britt).

bearsfan_51
03-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Shaffer receives $2 million guaranteed in the first year of the contract, according to an NFL source. The contract could be worth up to $8 million. He is due to make $2.75 million for the 2009 season.

By comparison, St. Clair signed a three-year, $9.1 million deal with the Browns that included $1.25 million guaranteed.

BeerBaron
03-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Shaffer receives $2 million guaranteed in the first year of the contract, according to an NFL source. The contract could be worth up to $8 million. He is due to make $2.75 million for the 2009 season.

By comparison, St. Clair signed a three-year, $9.1 million deal with the Browns that included $1.25 million guaranteed.

So St. Clair could max out with more, but gets less guaranteed.

Not too shabby.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-25-2009, 06:53 PM
I don't see why not. The Bronco's would probably jump on our first rounder and like a 3rd (probably exactly what we'd use to trade up for an unproven rookie as your saying.)

If we do think Shaffer can be our RT for a little while, I'd give them whatever picks they'd want for Cutler.

I think they would ask for more than a 1st, 3rd.

If they trade him I think it's a 3 team trade with them getting Brady Quinn in return.

Jerry rarely gives up draft picks and I just can't see him agreeing to give up what Denver would be asking.

Cerni88
03-25-2009, 07:05 PM
I'd easily trade Urlacher for a late 1st or a 2nd and a 3rd, but nobody would offer that.

Ya, i might in madden too.

The only way id trade Urlacher is if we got Cutler.

bearsfan_51
03-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Ya, i might in madden too.

The only way id trade Urlacher is if we got Cutler.
Then you're a dope. He's not that good anymore and is making close to 10 million a year.

BeerBaron
03-25-2009, 07:07 PM
I think they would ask for more than a 1st, 3rd.

If they trade him I think it's a 3 team trade with them getting Brady Quinn in return.

Jerry rarely gives up draft picks and I just can't see him agreeing to give up what Denver would be asking.

A first, third and Urlacher then. Cutler would upgrade the team more than anyone we could select in this draft.

I'd be all over it...and if I couldn't get him, I'd ship something to Arizona for Boldin.

Cerni88
03-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Then you're a dope. He's not that good anymore and is making close to 10 million a year.

Ok well i'll list my excuses for him.

1. He played at LOS in mug up look

2. Inconsistent D line play.

3. Lb's werent our problems, unless they involve Hillenmeyer in pass coverage

4. DB's just not performing well, keeping him on the field. Especially third and long.

declining yes, but the Defense as a whole declined as well.

Lets not forget they said the same about Ray Lewis.

shady00
03-25-2009, 10:02 PM
You don't just trade guys like Urlacher, he's done too much for us.

pellepelle_10
03-25-2009, 10:07 PM
I like the signing of Shaffer. I think we needed someone to add depth to a withering offensive line.

With this addition do many of you see the 1st round pick changing any?

This question is for you Beer or anyone else who wants to give an opinion. In your previous mock you had Loadholt going 2nd to us. Would you swap it for Duke Robinson now? Just curious.

IMO I'd be fine with either. I think Shaffer would make a solid lineman. He's still 29 so some youth may be a need. I don't know if the 2nd round would be best but you cannot pass up on a talent like Loadholt or Robinson personally. I think either would add much needed help to this Line.

BeerBaron
03-25-2009, 10:25 PM
I like the signing of Shaffer. I think we needed someone to add depth to a withering offensive line.

With this addition do many of you see the 1st round pick changing any?

This question is for you Beer or anyone else who wants to give an opinion. In your previous mock you had Loadholt going 2nd to us. Would you swap it for Duke Robinson now? Just curious.

IMO I'd be fine with either. I think Shaffer would make a solid lineman. He's still 29 so some youth may be a need. I don't know if the 2nd round would be best but you cannot pass up on a talent like Loadholt or Robinson personally. I think either would add much needed help to this Line.

Well, with the immediate need for a RT lessened, I definitely think looking more at guards is an option. Especially guards with possible future RT potential like Robinson might be, or Kraig Urbik a little later.

Even if we drafted Loadholt, we could play him at G for a little bit. Or, perhaps even move Shaffer into G and let a rookie take RT.

bearsfan_51
03-25-2009, 10:31 PM
You don't just trade guys like Urlacher, he's done too much for us.
I don't mean to sound unappreciative, but who cares? Dick Butkus did a lot of things for us too, should we sign him to a contract?

Brown Leader
03-25-2009, 10:40 PM
HI-HO
Versatility is never a bad thing. I could have sworn though that early in his career, Shaffer was a little ZBS type tackle around 300 pounds which scared me a little with us signing him. But I guess he's bulked up.

That's basically still right imo. After watching him since he came to Cleveland he's usually a reliable pass blocker that lacks power in the run game. IDK about the other eval I read but his weakness looked to me to be strength-occasionally beat by the bull rush-less so by speed and still essentially a zone guy. His release seemed more financial than performance but a little a both-as in he wasn't earning his paycheck. justmythoughts.

shady00
03-25-2009, 10:41 PM
I don't mean to sound unappreciative, but who cares? Dick Butkus did a lot of things for us too, should we sign him to a contract?
If I'm the gm, I'm not looking to trade Urlacher. The best you could get for him would be a 3rd, and even if you could get a 2nd it's not worth trading away a leader and fan favorite that deserves respect. The only way I trade him is if he starts slacking (which won't happen) or if he asks and we send him to a contender.

I just hate all the speculative trade proposals involving Urlacher and Hester and what we can get for them, these guys are Bears.

bearsfan_51
03-25-2009, 10:53 PM
If I'm the gm, I'm not looking to trade Urlacher. The best you could get for him would be a 3rd, and even if you could get a 2nd it's not worth trading away a leader and fan favorite that deserves respect. The only way I trade him is if he starts slacking (which won't happen) or if he asks and we send him to a contender.

I just hate all the speculative trade proposals involving Urlacher and Hester and what we can get for them, these guys are Bears.

Every player is a Bear until they are traded. Under your premise we'd never trade or cut anyone.

Regardless, I said it would take a late 1st or a 2nd and a 3rd for me to make the deal. You are correct to note that wouldn't happen though.

pellepelle_10
03-26-2009, 12:14 AM
HI-HO

That's basically still right imo. After watching him since he came to Cleveland he's usually a reliable pass blocker that lacks power in the run game. IDK about the other eval I read but his weakness looked to me to be strength-occasionally beat by the bull rush-less so by speed and still essentially a zone guy. His release seemed more financial than performance but a little a both-as in he wasn't earning his paycheck. justmythoughts.

Good review Brown Leader. Much appreciated.

pellepelle_10
03-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Well, with the immediate need for a RT lessened, I definitely think looking more at guards is an option. Especially guards with possible future RT potential like Robinson might be, or Kraig Urbik a little later.

Even if we drafted Loadholt, we could play him at G for a little bit. Or, perhaps even move Shaffer into G and let a rookie take RT.

That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't mind either of these guys in the 2nd round. I honestly wish there was a way we could end up with both. lol.. I am happy we got him though. This allows us to go a number of ways in the draft. I still hope WR is one of them.

BeerBaron
03-28-2009, 06:14 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/28/lovie-smith-supports-vicks-return/

Vick?

bearsfan_51
03-28-2009, 08:42 PM
If we let Mike Vick on the team I would never cheer for the Bears again.

BeerBaron
03-28-2009, 10:57 PM

Maybe it'd be best if Lovie goes then, heh.....

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-29-2009, 01:25 AM

Interesting.

Gay Ork Wang
03-29-2009, 06:03 AM
With all the Urlacher trade talk to denver, am i the only one who believe that he would suck ass as an ILB in a 3-4? His forte is that he is fast, good in coverage and he can diagnose the play well. He sucks at shedding blocks. In a 3-4 wouldnt he have to take on blockers a lot more? imo Urlacher would really be bad in a 3-4

Smokey Joe
03-29-2009, 06:29 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/28/lovie-smith-supports-vicks-return/

Vick?
I don't want to start a political arguement, but I have a feeling Lovie's sympathy for Vick stems from the fact they have the same skin color.

Race for the Heisman
03-29-2009, 12:31 PM
I don't want to start a political arguement, but I have a feeling Lovie's sympathy for Vick stems from the fact they have the same skin color.

Nothing wrong with that. Historically minorities look out for their own because they are the minority. Granted there are complications if you consider the greater population or the NFL specifically, but let's just say I agree with you to some extent.

As far as Vick is concerned, I wouldn't be opposed to the move. As long as Orton is still given his chance to be the guy the extra attention wouldn't hurt the franchise and maybe the hate could create an 'us against the world' vibe, which has historically been well-used to successful ends.

VoteLynnSwan
03-29-2009, 01:18 PM

could be that... or maybe Lovie fights dogs.

ChezPower4
03-29-2009, 02:43 PM
could be that... or maybe Lovie fights dogs.

Wouldn't that be some thing..... People in Chicago would be happy, because He'd get fired. I have met 3 people in Chicago who like Lovie all other talk mad ****!!! In all seriousness......unlikely

SFbear
03-30-2009, 03:54 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/30/pace-to-meet-with-bears/

Not sure why were looking at Pace after the Shaffer signing. Either Angelo must really not want to draft a tackle or we're creating a lot competition for training camp.

BeerBaron
03-30-2009, 04:11 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/30/pace-to-meet-with-bears/

Not sure why were looking at Pace after the Shaffer signing. Either Angelo must really not want to draft a tackle or we're creating a lot competition for training camp.

Lack of confidence in Chris Williams? I sure hope not.....

BeerBaron
03-30-2009, 05:42 PM
You know if we did sign Pace, we could always slide he or Shaffer inside to G. We could still use some help there....

pellepelle_10
03-30-2009, 07:45 PM

Why's that? Just curious.

BeerBaron
03-30-2009, 07:54 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/30/bears-check-out-ken-lucas/

We're looking at Ken Lucas.

Gotta say....in about a week we went from having no real movement whatsoever in free agency to bringing in a few guys. I don't think Shaffer, Pace and Lucas (the latter two just potentially) are quite the game changers I would have liked....but there wasn't all that many available.

I do think, if they all come cheap enough, I'd like the moves.

Smokey Joe
03-30-2009, 08:48 PM
Lack of confidence in Chris Williams? I sure hope not.....
how about lack of depth? Behind Chris Williams, who do we have that can play LT? Omiyale, who we like better at G, Shaffer who is a decent RT, Cody Balogh???

I'd love it if we signed Pace (and his teammate Holt for that matter as well). Hell, I'd even consider putting Pace at LT and Williams inside at guard. Afterall, Pace only allowed 2 sacks last year in 14 games. I would not mind a line of:

LT - Pace
LG - Williams
C - Kreutz
RG - Omiyale
RT - Shaffer

That's a pretty solid line right there. Not great, but solid.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-30-2009, 09:12 PM
how about lack of depth? Behind Chris Williams, who do we have that can play LT? Omiyale, who we like better at G, Shaffer who is a decent RT, Cody Balogh???

I'd love it if we signed Pace (and his teammate Holt for that matter as well). Hell, I'd even consider putting Pace at LT and Williams inside at guard. Afterall, Pace only allowed 2 sacks last year in 14 games. I would not mind a line of:

LT - Pace
LG - Williams
C - Kreutz
RG - Omiyale
RT - Shaffer

Williams is going to play LT. He's way better suited there.

LT - Williams
LG - Omiyale
C - Olin Kreutz
RG - Shaffer
RT - Pace

If Pace was signed to start.

BeerBaron
03-30-2009, 09:15 PM
LT - Pace
LG - Williams
C - Kreutz
RG - Omiyale
RT - Shaffer

I think we'd have some issues getting a push up the middle in run blocking with that though.

Smokey Joe
03-30-2009, 09:57 PM
I think we'd have some issues getting a push up the middle in run blocking with that though.
true, but how much worse could it be than Beekman and Garza in the middle? If anything, it's most likely an improvement.

shady00
03-30-2009, 10:27 PM
I'd take Pace for the sole sake of mentoring Williams. That would be an awesome signing, I hope Baltimore doesn't steal him.

BeerBaron
03-30-2009, 10:29 PM
I'd take Pace for the sole sake of mentoring Williams. That would be an awesome signing, I hope Baltimore doesn't steal him.

He already left them with an offer on the table...probably wasn't to his liking I'd assume.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Is Pace still a good player? I have not seen him play in a long time..

BeerBaron
03-30-2009, 11:10 PM

I didn't know this before today but it's been thrown around that apparently he only allowed 2 sacks in 14 games last year.

Race for the Heisman
03-30-2009, 11:19 PM

I've gotten the impression that the games he plays in he will be good. The problem will be that he'll probably play in less than half of the games.

bearsfan_51
03-30-2009, 11:23 PM
Looks like we brought Ken Lucas in too. I'm not sure I want him starting, but as competition for Vasher and Graham I would like it at a low investment.

pellepelle_10
03-31-2009, 12:16 AM
Looks like we brought Ken Lucas in too. I'm not sure I want him starting, but as competition for Vasher and Graham I would like it at a low investment.

If Vasher plays anything like last year I'd take Ken Lucas in a heartbeat over him. IMO I think this would be great for us to get him. He has a lil age to him but I think he'd be great for us in Chicago. I think he'd definitely push Vasher for the starting position. Maybe this would be a wakeup call for Vasher to get off his fat can and lose some weight so he can be a little more elusive.

sweetness34
03-31-2009, 12:43 AM

Oh stop it, you said the same thing about posting on this board when Scott switched from the old one and here you are still.

If you stop cheering for the Bears if we sign Michael Vick I will kick you in the nuts.

shady00
03-31-2009, 02:12 AM
If we get Mike Vick I will cheer when he gets a wildcat TD and remain a bears fan.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-31-2009, 02:13 AM
I didn't know this before today but it's been thrown around that apparently he only allowed 2 sacks in 14 games last year.

http://open.salon.com/files/jawdrop1236883259.jpg

I am officially on board with Pace. Get it done Jerry!

We have had good luck with OL nearing the end of their career. Ruben Brown, etc.

regoob2
03-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Lack of confidence in Chris Williams? I sure hope not.....That's what I was thinking.

k0ng
03-31-2009, 12:52 PM

Interesting...Lucas at FS maybe?? Or maybe we are trying to package Vasher in a trade for Boldin or Cutler? Lots of possibilities here...

BeerBaron
03-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Interesting...Lucas at FS maybe?? Or maybe we are trying to package Vasher in a trade for Boldin or Cutler? Lots of possibilities here...

If we were to bring in Boldin or Cutler, I'd seriously just throw down a copy of the roster and let them have just about anyone but Forte or Briggs if it sealed the deal.

I doubt either of them really wants Vasher though.

k0ng
03-31-2009, 04:47 PM
If we were to bring in Boldin or Cutler, I'd seriously just throw down a copy of the roster and let them have just about anyone but Forte or Briggs if it sealed the deal.

I doubt either of them really wants Vasher though.

I could see our 1st rounder + Vasher for Boldin as a possibility. If not, oh well. I hope Ken Lucas can play FS then. He seems to have the have the size for it.

BeerBaron
03-31-2009, 08:29 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/31/bowlen-says-broncos-will-trade-cutler/

Gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme.

1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and any couple of players not named Forte or Briggs. Do it JA.

MidwayMonster31
03-31-2009, 08:40 PM
What the hell. Give up our whole damn draft for him.
Seriously though, one I thought of was: Our 2009 and 2010 first round picks, 2009 second round pick, 2010 third round pick and Caleb Hanie. Josh McDaniels is such a damn genius, he can prove it by turning Hanie into a good quarterback. Even though this is a lot, when and where will this kind of opportunity ever come up again?

dabears10
03-31-2009, 08:43 PM
What the hell. Give up our whole damn draft for him.
Seriously though, one I thought of was: Our 2009 and 2010 first round pick, 2009 second round pick, 2010 third round pick and Caleb Hanie. Josh McDaniels is such a damn genius, he can prove it by turning Hanie into a good quarterback. Even though this is a lot, when and where will this kind of opportunity ever come up again?

I would rather not give so many picks. While Cutler will be excellent I do not think we have near the line or enough of a team for him to be as good with us if we give up that many picks. I say Orton, Urlacher, and this year's first.

MidwayMonster31
03-31-2009, 08:58 PM
I would rather not give so many picks. While Cutler will be excellent I do not think we have near the line or enough of a team for him to be as good with us if we give up that many picks. I say Orton, Urlacher, and this year's first.It is true that my speculation is offering a ton for him. Personally I would rather give up players, but we don't have those guys. They want to play a 3-4 and our Tampa 2 players would not work very well there. Hopefully, we would only have to give up a few picks if we manage to get him, because Denver is constantly losing leverage. This is only going to end badly for them.

shady00
03-31-2009, 09:11 PM
I don't want to trade for Cutler if we have to give up that much. We have a lot of other needs.

IrishX (aka bornbear)
03-31-2009, 09:15 PM
Don't forget Jay Cutler is a fan of the Bears!

BeerBaron
03-31-2009, 09:22 PM
I don't think you realize how much of an upgrade Cutler would be.

Our o-line is semi-set....we could still add Pace to it as well if it would make you all feel better.

Use our 2nd rounder on the best WR available. Theres a small chance Nicks still falls, or we could go for someone like Robiskie or Barden....

You guys kind of sound like the fans of teams who need QBs high but throw every argument against taking one out that they can think of.

I would give up exactly what I said above for Cutler. All of our odd picks in the draft plus a few players. Remember, a good rest of the offense can make a mediocre QB look good, and it works in reverse too. (See Marino, Dan.)

dabears10
03-31-2009, 09:27 PM
I don't think you realize how much of an upgrade Cutler would be.

Our o-line is semi-set....we could still add Pace to it as well if it would make you all feel better.

Use our 2nd rounder on the best WR available. Theres a small chance Nicks still falls, or we could go for someone like Robiskie or Barden....

You guys kind of sound like the fans of teams who need QBs high but throw every argument against taking one out that they can think of.

I would give up exactly what I said above for Cutler. All of our odd picks in the draft plus a few players. Remember, a good rest of the offense can make a mediocre QB look good, and it works in reverse too. (See Marino, Dan.)

You say our O-line is semi-set but it is still old. We do not have the team with or without cutler set to make a run deep in the playoffs or super bowl. That is the ultimate goal in my mind and I do not believe trading many picks will make our team any younger.

We argued earlier in the year whether we need to draft DE, S, OT, or WR yet now if we get a very good QB those needs are serviced?

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-31-2009, 09:28 PM
I'd give up two first round picks.

#18, 2010 1st, 2010 5th.

BeerBaron
03-31-2009, 09:29 PM
You say our O-line is semi-set but it is still old. We do not have the team with or without cutler set to make a run deep in the playoffs or super bowl. That is the ultimate goal in my mind and I do not believe trading many picks will make our team any younger.

We argued earlier in the year whether we need to draft DE, S, OT, or WR yet now if we get a very good QB those needs are serviced?

There will be more chances in the future to draft a mid-first round WR or 2nd/3rd round DE/OL depth.

A pro bowl, franchise QB with an elite arm doesn't become available very often.

I think you'd be surprised how good our o-line would look with a capable QB behind it.

btw:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/31/six-teams-and-counting-interested-in-cutler/

Get if ******* done JA. Whatever it takes.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-31-2009, 09:33 PM
LT - Chris Williams / Orlando Pace
LG - Frank Omiyale / Beekman
C - Olin Kreutz / Beekman
RG - Kevin Shaffer / Beekman
RT - Orlando Pace / Kevin Shaffer

QB - Jay Cutler / Caleb Hanie / Draft pick
RB - Matt Forte / Kevin Jones / Peterson/Wolfe/Draft pick
WRs - Hester, Robiskie (2nd round pick), Bennett, Davis.

BeerBaron
03-31-2009, 09:34 PM
LT - Chris Williams / Orlando Pace
LG - Frank Omiyale / Beekman
C - Olin Kreutz / Beekman
RG - Kevin Shaffer / Beekman
RT - Orlando Pace / Kevin Shaffer

QB - Jay Cutler / Caleb Hanie / Draft pick
RB - Matt Forte / Kevin Jones / Peterson/Wolfe/Draft pick

O-line would look solid in the short term imho.

And with Cutler's arm, if Hester can haul in even half the deep balls thrown his way, we'd have a semblance of a deep passing game.......

<dreams>

Geo
03-31-2009, 09:40 PM
I'd give up two first round picks.

#18, 2010 1st, 2010 5th.
A little while back I was wondering what it would take for the Bears to get Cutler from Denver, would agree that this and next years' 1sts would likely be included in some fashion or another.

Although I specifically wondered about a package consisting of this year's 1st, next year's 1st, and Brian Urlacher.

shady00
03-31-2009, 09:41 PM
I couldn't give two first-rounders for Cutler. This entire off-season has been filled with his drama, and I know the Broncos defense is pathetic, however he never led them to a winning record.

I would love Cutler on this team, but for the right price. Give them this year's 1st, 3rd, and Kyle and I'm all in. But two first rounders? No way.

Start Kyle and keep the picks.

BeerBaron
03-31-2009, 09:42 PM
A little while back I was wondering what it would take for the Bears to get Cutler from Denver, would agree that this and next years' 1sts would likely be included in some fashion or another.

Although I specifically wondered about this year's 1st, next year's 1st, and Brian Urlacher.

We discussed Urlacher a few pages back. I wouldn't mind moving him if it meant bringing Cutler....yeah, it'd have consequences. He's a leader, a captain, a general on the field, a fan favorite....

I'd still do it though. Gotta wonder about his fit in the 3-4 though...that was another question.

BeerBaron
03-31-2009, 09:43 PM
I couldn't give two first-rounders for Cutler. This entire off-season has been filled with his drama, and I know the Broncos defense is pathetic, however he never led them to a winning record.

I would love Cutler on this team, but for the right price. Give them this year's 1st, 3rd, and Kyle and I'm all in. But two first rounders? No way.

I'd offer 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and a few players, but if it came right down to it, I'd go 2 1sts.

Keep telling yourself this:

Pro Bowl QB.

That alone should be awesomeness to Bears fans ears.

But with Cutler, you get to add to it:

Pro Bowl QB in his mid 20's with a huge arm.

Boo yah.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-31-2009, 09:44 PM

If Orton plays like he did this season next season we will be looking for a new QB.

Most likely using a first round pick on a quarterback. Paying a QB big money in the first round that is unproven and a total gamble.

Yes, two first rounders is steep, but he's a probowler and he is a for sure thing.

It's a no brainer in my opinion. Drafting a QB in the first round that busts sets you back 3-4 years. Losing 2 first round picks is nothing in comparison.

shady00
03-31-2009, 09:46 PM
If the Orton plays like he did this season next season we will be looking for a new QB.

I really liked what he showed before the ankle, enough where I would reconsider before trading two 1st's to upgrade him.

princefielder28
03-31-2009, 09:51 PM
If I were a Bears fan I wouldn't hesitate at all if the Broncos asked for this year's and next year's 1st round selections. You get to add a franchise QB and have stability at the position instead of hoping that Kyle Orton can manage the game and make a play every once in awhile. Like someone mentioned, you can add a solid WR in round 2, like a Brian Robiksie. The offense would become more dynamic and the running game could improve even more with the improvements up-front and a capable QB. Plus Greg Olsen has a better chance to hit his potential as passing catching TE with a QB like Cutler.

BeerBaron
03-31-2009, 09:52 PM
If I were a Bears fan I wouldn't hesitate at all if the Broncos asked for this year's and next year's 1st round selections. You get to add a franchise QB and have stability at the position instead of hoping that Kyle Orton can manage the game and make a play every once in awhile. Like someone mentioned, you can add a solid WR in round 2, like a Brian Robiksie. The offense would become more dynamic and the running game could improve even more with the improvements up-front and a capable QB. Plus Greg Olsen has a better chance to hit his potential as passing catching TE with a QB like Cutler.

Spot on, spot on.....

Smokey Joe
03-31-2009, 09:59 PM
What I'd offer:

Our 1st and 3rd round pick this year, Kyle Orton, Corey Graham, and a conditional pick in 2010 that is for sure a 2nd rounder that can become a 1st rounder depending on how Cutler does.

Hefty price, sure, but you're talking about a franchise and pro bowler QB here!!!

dabears10
03-31-2009, 10:14 PM
I would rather give up this and next years first than 4 picks this year. That may not make sense I guess but I rarely do.

shady00
03-31-2009, 10:26 PM
What I'd offer:

Our 1st and 3rd round pick this year, Kyle Orton, Corey Graham, and a conditional pick in 2010 that is for sure a 2nd rounder that can become a 1st rounder depending on how Cutler does.

Hefty price, sure, but you're talking about a franchise and pro bowler QB here!!!
Jay Cutler had Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal / We have Devin Hester, Earl Bennett, and potentially a 2nd-rounder.

Jay Culter had an elite offensive line / We have an unproven, injured rookie and Kevin Shaffer.

If Tillman doesn't recover to old shape or if Vash is what he was last year we'd get burned deep even worse then before because our ends still can't get to the quarterback. And I almost forgot, Josh Bullocks is our safety, along with Craig Steltz and an injured Kevin Payne....

Trading away picks is a recipe for disaster, especially when you have needs like us.

BeerBaron
03-31-2009, 11:17 PM
Jay Cutler had Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal / We have Devin Hester, Earl Bennett, and potentially a 2nd-rounder.

Jay Culter had an elite offensive line / We have an unproven, injured rookie and Kevin Shaffer.

If Tillman doesn't recover to old shape or if Vash is what he was last year we'd get burned deep even worse then before because our ends still can't get to the quarterback. And I almost forgot, Josh Bullocks is our safety, along with Craig Steltz and an injured Kevin Payne....

Trading away picks is a recipe for disaster, especially when you have needs like us.

There are teams worse off. And the Bronco's line wasn't even close to elite. Clady was the only great thing they had going there.

And good QBs always make their receivers better. Look at what Marino did with the average at best talent the Dolphins surrounded him with. (OJ McDuffie? Seriously?)

There isn't a spot on this roster that we could at least patch for a year while we trade picks for Cutler.

pellepelle_10
04-01-2009, 12:16 AM
IMO I think this should be a no-brainer for us. Should we give up 2 1st rounders. I wouldn't want to but if it came down to it I'd say do it. Lets be honest. The guy is proven and extremely young. What else could we ask for? qb's like this are hard finds especially with our luck at draft picks. I agree with most who mentioned snagging Robiskie in the 2nd. IMO this would be a solid selection to add with Cutler at the helm.

shady00
04-01-2009, 12:21 AM
Robiskie is not falling to 49. The WR drop-off after him is considerable.

regoob2
04-01-2009, 12:29 AM
Nicks could be there. :D

BeerBaron
04-01-2009, 12:52 AM

Doesn't matter. Take Barden or go Gibson in the 3rd.....

Hell, to me, if we got Cutler, it wouldn't even matter if we got a shorter range, more physical target. We'd suddenly have a guy who could throw accurately deep down the field.

MidwayMonster31
04-01-2009, 01:27 AM
Personally, I'm not as sold on Robiskie as some of the others are. I see a taller, slower Steve Smith (Giants). Smith is a solid receiver, but that's it. I think Robiskie will do the same. I don't know what Robiskie can do that Bennett (assuming he can learn the playbook) cannot.

Cerni88
04-01-2009, 04:10 AM
Pace and Lucas dont really make sense to me. Could it be that JA wants to trade a pick away!!??

Geo
04-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Pace makes sense. Chris Williams hasn't played a full season yet, and unless I'm mistaken, there isn't anyone else on the roster who can play LT (competently).

At this point in his career and his durability, Pace can't start all 16 games, but he could be a quality back-up.

Gay Ork Wang
04-01-2009, 12:55 PM
According to the Chicago Tribune, the Bears are trying to close a deal for free-agent OT Orlando Pace, who reportedly also has an offer from the Ravens.

The Bears would like to start Pace at left tackle and move Chris Williams to the right side. Pace, a seven-time Pro Bowler who was cut by the Rams last month, battled injuries in 2006 and 2007, but he returned to start 14 games last season.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/01/bears-trying-to-work-deal-for-pace/

dabears10
04-01-2009, 01:04 PM
I don't understand moving Williams to RT. His best skills are pass blocking. Pace also has slowed and would probably benefit from being at RT.

Gay Ork Wang
04-01-2009, 01:13 PM
i think they want to ease him in at the position

SFbear
04-01-2009, 01:57 PM
i think they want to ease him in at the position

But the whole point of drafting him over Otah and Albert was that he was ready to start at day 1 on the left side. That was his only real selling point. He even got a red shirt to learn the system.

Gay Ork Wang
04-01-2009, 02:18 PM
LM: It appeared at the start of the offseason that offensive tackle and safety were two big needs. But after signing offensive linemen Frank Omiyale and Kevin Shaffer and free safety Josh Bullocks in free agency, how much flexibility does that give the Bears in the draft?

JA: It obviously gives us more than what we would have had, but that doesn't mean that we wouldn't take an offensive tackle if we felt he was the best player on the board. Now we don't have to fixate on that one position. When you go into any draft, you have needs and those needs in all likelihood have to be filled through the draft. That's why you commonly hear teams criticized for taking players too high. So, if you can go into a draft without being a hostage to a position, you put yourself in a much better situation of taking the best players available, which we've helped ourselves to do by signing those three players.
Sounds like we will go BPA

Geo
04-01-2009, 02:20 PM
The guy writing the Chicago Tribune article is saying the Orlando Pace would start at LT and Williams would move to RT. Maybe the Chicago media and/or this guy is pretty tied in, I don't know, but I say who gives a **** what he says.

Cerni88
04-01-2009, 02:29 PM
I was more so speculating that JA wants to trade a pick. Pace can start at LT for us. I would definately like CW on the left though, he needs reps.

And as for Lucas, well Mcbride and Hamilton arent quality starters. Vasher is hurt and may not be a starter in the league anymore. Tillman has been getting hurt. D Manning is in a contract year and this is his last chance to prove he can play smart. And Corey Graham is an excellent STer, but we really dont know if he can hang with the big boys.

It just seems like these needs could have been filled through draft. But if we signed both of them. We knock CB and T off of early - mid round needs.

Gay Ork Wang
04-01-2009, 02:33 PM
may Hamilton rot in hell

Geo
04-01-2009, 02:36 PM
I don't buy Pace being looked at as a starter. More like an experienced vet who can step in at the drop of a hat and maybe also teach the youngster a few things.

Baltimore brought him in earlier, and I would think for the same reason.

Gay Ork Wang
04-01-2009, 02:37 PM
i could see that being the reason for not signing in baltimore

princefielder28
04-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Personally, I'm not as sold on Robiskie as some of the others are. I see a taller, slower Steve Smith (Giants). Smith is a solid receiver, but that's it. I think Robiskie will do the same. I don't know what Robiskie can do that Bennett (assuming he can learn the playbook) cannot.

Robiskie would be a damn near perfect fit for the Bears. He's a big target and a terrific route runner. He's never gonna be a vertical threat or #1 WR, but with Hester and Olsen on the roster the team needs that type of wideout. Plus, Earl Bennett has great chemistry with Cutler and if he catches on this year then the sky is the limit for him.

Gay Ork Wang
04-01-2009, 02:40 PM
How long did Earl Bennett play with Cutler in College?

princefielder28
04-01-2009, 02:44 PM
How long did Earl Bennett play with Cutler in College?

I am pretty sure it was 2 years

Gay Ork Wang
04-01-2009, 02:58 PM
I am pretty sure it was 2 years
maybe thats one more reason to persuade him...and we do have experience with cumslingers and we have a running game

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-01-2009, 03:15 PM
But the whole point of drafting him over Otah and Albert was that he was ready to start at day 1 on the left side. That was his only real selling point. He even got a red shirt to learn the system.

It would have been really nice to have Brandon Albert instead of Williams last year. This team would have been in the playoffs.

Albert is a stud and to think he fell to #14 and we let him slip by makes me a sad panda

This Pace thing is a bit puzzling. Williams isn't stout enough IMO to open up holes at RT.

We will see though..

BeerBaron
04-01-2009, 04:05 PM
The guy writing the Chicago Tribune article is saying the Orlando Pace would start at LT and Williams would move to RT. Maybe the Chicago media and/or this guy is pretty tied in, I don't know, but I say who gives a **** what he says.

Williams at RT would make me want to cry.... His biggest weakness is being physical with run blocking and thats what most teams value most in their RT's.

I think if we signed Pace as a starter, he would be at RT and Shaffer would move inside.

LT - Williams
LG - Omiyale
C - Kreutz
RG - Shaffer
RT - Pace

regoob2
04-01-2009, 06:16 PM
I don't buy Pace being looked at as a starter. More like an experienced vet who can step in at the step of a hat and maybe also teach the youngster a few things.

Baltimore brought him in earlier, and I would think for the same reason.
I do. There's got to be a reason why Williams didnt start over St Clair at the end of last season. I could see Pace and Shaffer as the starters.

bearsfan_51
04-01-2009, 06:38 PM
There's got to be a reason why Williams didnt start over St Clair at the end of last season.
Cause he missed training camp, preseason, the first half the season, was a rookie, and had dengenerate back problems?

regoob2
04-01-2009, 06:41 PM
It would have been really nice to have Brandon Albert instead of Williams last year. This team would have been in the playoffs.

Albert is a stud and to think he fell to #14 and we let him slip by makes me a sad panda

This Pace thing is a bit puzzling. Williams isn't stout enough IMO to open up holes at RT.

We will see though..
I dont think Albert was much better if better at all. Williams was the right choice.

regoob2
04-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Cause he missed training camp, preseason, the first half the season, was a rookie, and had dengenerate back problems?
Which is why I could see him not starting this upcoming season.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-01-2009, 06:56 PM
I dont think Albert was much better if better at all. Williams was the right choice.

How was Albert not better? He was playing LT and doing it more than well while Williams was only getting on the field for goal line and field goal attempts.

Albert battled injuries during most of camp, missed 1 game on the season, and only gave up 4.5 sacks on the year. For a rookie LT who didn't even play LT in college his junior season it was a great year.

Lets not forget the only time we saw Chris Williams lined up at LT last year Aaron Kampman was running around him for a what should have been a sack.

Almost everyone had Albert ranked higher than Chris Williams. And I think everyone here would trade Williams for Albert.

regoob2
04-01-2009, 07:18 PM
How was Albert not better? He was playing LT and doing it more than well while Williams was only getting on the field for goal line and field goal attempts.

Albert battled injuries during most of camp, missed 1 game on the season, and only gave up 4.5 sacks on the year. For a rookie LT who didn't even play LT in college his junior season it was a great year.

Lets not forget the only time we saw Chris Williams lined up at LT last year Aaron Kampman was running around him for a what should have been a sack.

Almost everyone had Albert ranked higher than Chris Williams. And I think everyone here would trade Williams for Albert.As a prospect.

Geo
04-01-2009, 07:22 PM
I loved Chris Williams as a prospect (more than Michael Oher this year for sure), and still think he'll make for an excellent pick by the Bears assuming he stays healthy.

BeerBaron
04-01-2009, 07:35 PM
At the time, Williams over Albert made perfect sense. Let him see the field before everyone goes and declares him a huge bust and the pick stupid.

Smokey Joe
04-01-2009, 10:36 PM
My dream offseason:

Sign Pace, Lucas, AND Holt.

Trade our 1st and 3rd this year, a conditional 3rd next year (which can become a 1st), Orton, and Denver's choice of Vasher/McBride/Graham for Cutler.

DRAFT:

2) FS Rashad Johnson, Alabama
3-COMP) OL T.J. Lang, Eastern Michigan
BPA For the rest of the way

Starting lineup:

WR: Holt
TE: Clark
RT: Shaffer
RG: Omiyale
C: Kreutz
LG: Williams
LT: Pace
QB: Cutler
RB: Forte
H-Back (TE/WR/FB): Olsen
WR: Hester

D would be pretty much the same.

Also, with that line, it'd be wise to do a lot of ZBS.

regoob2
04-01-2009, 10:42 PM
^Chris Williams needs to focus on OT. I wouldnt move him inside.

bearsfan_51
04-01-2009, 10:59 PM
I agree. I'm 100% against moving Williams.

I also really doubt we'll have the cap room for the remaining 3 players (not that it matters because it's not going to happen anyway) and have enough cash leftover for the rookies and emergency cash.

bearsfan_51
04-01-2009, 11:23 PM
According to the Chicago Tribune, the Bears are trying to close a deal for free-agent OT Orlando Pace, who reportedly also has an offer from the Ravens.

The Bears would like to start Pace at left tackle and move Chris Williams to the right side. Pace, a seven-time Pro Bowler who was cut by the Rams last month, battled injuries in 2006 and 2007, but he returned to start 14 games last season.
I wouldn't be as against this, although I'd rather have Pace on the right side. Of the three tackles I think it makes the most sense to move Schaffer to guard.

BeerBaron
04-01-2009, 11:28 PM
I wouldn't be as against this, although I'd rather have Pace on the right side. Of the three tackles I think it makes the most sense to move Schaffer to guard.

Aye....why Williams on the right side? That seems back asswards to me from his strengths and weaknesses.

awfullyquiet
04-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Aye....why Williams on the right side? That seems back asswards to me from his strengths and weaknesses.

maybe he'd learn to be more physical?
wishful thinking?

BeerBaron
04-02-2009, 11:35 AM
maybe he'd learn to be more physical?
wishful thinking?

Maybe....I mean, I'm sure that most LT's in the league could be switched to RT just fine. I just prefer to have my RT be a more physical mauler since he typically doesn't have to face elite pass rusher and we'll be running behind him more often.

But if it's Pace on the left side and he stays healthy, then maybe itll work out.

awfullyquiet
04-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Maybe....I mean, I'm sure that most LT's in the league could be switched to RT just fine. I just prefer to have my RT be a more physical mauler since he typically doesn't have to face elite pass rusher and we'll be running behind him more often.

But if it's Pace on the left side and he stays healthy, then maybe itll work out.

that and he won't be left
on a boat

considering we do play with a TE set most of the time.

Whistler6
04-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Congrads... Jay Cutler has just been traded to your team. I am watching Around the Horn, and it scrolled across the bottom

Breaking News: Broncos agree to trade Cutler to Bears - Sportcenter at 5 et

awfullyquiet
04-02-2009, 04:27 PM
holy.

god.

holy god.

Geo
04-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Big move! And a great one.

Celebrate, fellas.

Edit: Glazer (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9409280/Sources:-Cutler-dealt-to-Bears-for-2-picks,-Orton)

Sources: Cutler dealt to Bears for 2 picks, Orton
by Jay Glazer

Updated: April 2, 2009, 4:32 PM EST

Jay Cutler told FOXSports.com Wednesday night that he thought he would be traded to an NFC team. He was right. However, it was not the team to which everyone had him linked.

Cutler has been traded to the Chicago Bears for two first-round picks, a third-round pick and quarterback Kyle Orton, FOXSports.com has learned. Denver will receive Chicago's first- and third-round pick in this year's draft, and Chicago's first-round pick in 2010, along with Orton. The Bears get Cutler and the Broncos' fifth-round pick this year.

MORE TO COME

Cerni88
04-02-2009, 04:38 PM
WOW, I dont just like it. I F'n love it.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Very good move for Chicago.

1st this year, next year and Orton gone but it very well could be worth it.

Lions get Stafford hopefully along with Rodgers in GB and we might have some QBs in the North for once.

regoob2
04-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Holy **** did this really just happen??

regoob2
04-02-2009, 04:41 PM
holy.

god.

holy god.Yep!!!!!!!

Geo
04-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Devin Hester is a deep threat again!

SFbear
04-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Im still in shock. Did this really happen? I kept reading articles about it was already a done deal with the Redskins. Sounds like we outbid them at the last second.

P.S. Its my birthday today. Awesome.

sweetness34
04-02-2009, 04:49 PM
I think it's a good move for both sides actually. Orton's not a bad QB and he's going to have some WR's in Denver to work with and two first rounders as well. We get Cutler who is a top 10 NFL QB right now and a 3rd rounder.

I just like that we were actually aggressive for once in getting a player like this. I tip my cap to Angelo, Cutler is definitely a franchise QB.

My big worry is our success rate with QB's, especially young ones and the fact that we still don't have many weapons at WR right now. That area needs to be addressed.

Geo
That's a pretty good birthday present.

You guys (other than bf51) should give Angelo more credit.

85ers
Wow, I am in shock! A very good shock though.

Happy B-Day SFbear!

dabears10
04-02-2009, 04:50 PM
I just got back from CLASSSSSS.
CUTTTTTTTTTTTLERRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

shady00
04-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Stunned. If I'm the GM I'm keeping my draft picks, but since JA is making the picks I'm feeling good about this now. Even though I'll miss those 1st-rounders, I have to give it to JA for growing some stones.

k0ng
04-02-2009, 04:55 PM
So we got Cutler and have 4 picks in rounds 2 and 3 still??? lol. Good job JA. Losing the 1st rounder next year sucks though...hopefully its the 32nd pick!!!

Cerni88
04-02-2009, 04:58 PM
It was a no brainer. Angelo isnt exactly the best 1st rounder picker. What if orton didnt succeed this year? We would have Caleb Hanie. And no doubt be spending a first next year on a QB. THis guy is young and proven. He threw 600 passes last year and had like 15 picks. Thats pretty damn good. Imagine if we asked Kyle to pass 600 times

sweetness34
04-02-2009, 04:58 PM
One of my buddies (Packer fan) said that we gave up Briggs as well. I don't see that being reported anywhere and if we did I would be pissed if we gave up him plus Orton and 2 firsts.

ChefMike
04-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Briggs was not part of the deal...

I still think you gave up a lot though...2 1st rd picks and Kyle Orton?! Thats quite a bit for Cutler and a 3rd rd pick. But hey if it works out good job pulling that off before Detroit or Tampa could step in and make you hate yourselves for letting him go !!

awfullyquiet
04-02-2009, 05:08 PM
So we got Cutler and have 4 picks in rounds 2 and 3 still??? lol. Good job JA. Losing the 1st rounder next year sucks though...hopefully its the 32nd pick!!!

comp pick in 3rd. losing the regular 3rd.

VoteLynnSwan
04-02-2009, 05:12 PM
so did we trade a 3rd round pick or did we get a 3rd round pick? there's conflicting information, but i guess that'll be resolved shortly.

It is definitely a lot to give up if we traded the 3rd rounder, but i think it'll end up being well worth it.

Geo
04-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Bears give Orton, 09 1st, 09 3rd, 10 1st.

Broncos give Cutler and 09 5th.

princefielder28
04-02-2009, 05:18 PM
How excited must Earl Bennett be?

VoteLynnSwan
04-02-2009, 05:19 PM

it is pretty awesome that we have 3 guys from Vanderbilt on our offense. I don't know if that's a positive or a negative though.

Prowler
04-02-2009, 05:21 PM
congrats, i thought the price was little steep but factor in orlando pace and compensatory third rounder and it looks great.

shady00
04-02-2009, 05:22 PM
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h88/viktorzd/jay-cutler-bears.jpg
I threw together a little preview

Cerni88
04-02-2009, 05:23 PM
And we got Pace. Top 10 O??

rhamby8181
04-02-2009, 05:28 PM
I can't wait to hear Lovie say..."Jay is our Quarterback."

The price was a bit steep, but considering 50% of 1st round picks don't pan out, it isn't too bad. I don't like tossing out the 3rd but we still have our comp pick.

Just heard we agreed to a deal with Pace today.

Great day for Chicago

VoteLynnSwan
04-02-2009, 05:29 PM
And we got Pace. Top 10 O??

we still need a capable WR, but an offense of...

QB: Jay Cutler
RB: Matt Forte
WR: Devin Hester
WR: (drafted WR/Earl Bennet/Rashied Davis)
TE: Greg Olsen
TE: Desmond Clark
LT: Chris Williams
LG: Frank Omiyale
C: Olin Kruetz
RG: Kevin Shaffer
RT: Orlando Pace

could certainly score some points. The best thing about this offense is we have a QB who can throw into the wind, can utilize Hester's deep threat abilities, a good running game, and TEs who can be solid red zone threats.

regoob2
04-02-2009, 05:32 PM
^^Kevin Shaffer.

BeerBaron
04-02-2009, 05:32 PM
I just got back from the woods and am hearing about it now for the first time....

I'm so pumped. HELLLLLLZZZZ YES!

Automatically the best QB the Bears have had in my lifetime and he hasn't played a snap for us. Zomg yes.

You have no idea. This is so wonderful.

rhamby8181
04-02-2009, 05:33 PM
I can't wait to see how Cutler works with Clark and Olsen. Even though the line is a bit long in the touth, just look at what we had last week. This offense can actually help make the D look better, last week we couuldn't say that.

VoteLynnSwan
04-02-2009, 05:35 PM
^^Kevin Shaffer.

i was clearly thinking of someone else named Aaron Schaefer...

SimonRath
04-02-2009, 05:39 PM

god i love Earl Bennett.
I bet he does good/great this year

awfullyquiet
04-02-2009, 05:41 PM
How excited must Matt Forte be?

FIFY

really. if ron turner can dream it, we can do it i think.
i'm just cryin for torry holt. right now. torry holt, devin hester, olsen, clark, and matt forte... that sounds like a legitimate non-sucky offense....

bearfan
04-02-2009, 05:41 PM
I am so estatic right now. I think the trade was good value, and I hope that Orton proves that he can be a solid QB in the league.

BeerBaron
04-02-2009, 05:45 PM
FIFY

really. if ron turner can dream it, we can do it i think.
i'm just cryin for torry holt. right now. torry holt, devin hester, olsen, clark, and matt forte... that sounds like a legitimate non-sucky offense....

Holt would be a nice pickup, especially now. We can make a run right now if this offense meshes and the defense is at least decent.

Hester on one side, Holt on the other, Bennett and the TEs switching out in the slot..........beautiful.

I don't think we've had an offense to get excited about in my two plus decades on the planet.

BeerBaron
04-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Some idiot on ESPNews right now doesn't think we have enough "pieces" to win the NFC North.

Who the **** is better than us? The Vikes with Rosenfels? The Packers and their lack of a defense? The L.....

haha, I almost said the Lions.......

princefielder28
04-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Some idiot on ESPNews right now doesn't think we have enough "pieces" to win the NFC North.

Who the **** is better than us? The Vikes with Rosenfels? The Packers and their lack of a defense? The L.....

haha, I almost said the Lions.......

The Vikings and Bears are 1A and 1B in the North right now with the Packers sitting at 3. The Bears have a more proven QB and the Vikes have a better defense. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

CT Bronco Fan
04-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Congratulations Bears fans.

Can you please suck this year though so we get a good pick in the draft next year? After that you can win superbowls.

BeerBaron
04-02-2009, 05:50 PM
The Vikings and Bears are 1A and 1B in the North right now with the Packers sitting at 3. The Bears have a more proven QB and the Vikes have a better defense. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Well, with the Vikings, yeah AP thrashes us but we split the series with them last year and if we can do that again, plus our other improvements since then, I think we can push ahead of them.

diabsoule
04-02-2009, 06:18 PM
If the Bears can get Torry Holt, watch out.

rhamby8181
04-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Congratulations Bears fans.

Can you please suck this year though so we get a good pick in the draft next year? After that you can win superbowls.

I am not going as far as putting the Bears in the Super Bowl right now, but you better be ready for that pick to be between 25-32. We lost 3 games by 3 or fewer points last season all against the NFC South and this year we play the NFC West. 9-7 last year, I will be real pissed with anything less than 11-5 this year.

regoob2
04-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Now lets trade our 2011 first rounder for Boldin!!! WOOOOOOHHHHHH!!

Brent
04-02-2009, 06:27 PM
You lucky bastards.

BeerBaron
04-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Ok, I have to turn off ESPN. These talking heads are pissing me off about how we paid too much or some other ******** ****.

Lets say we kept 18 and drafted DHB.

Current offense plus Orton and DHB <<<<<<< Current offense plus Cutler. **** it.

Titans10
04-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Earl Bennett just nutted in his pants

Congrats Bears fans, you got one hell of a quarterback, can't wait to root for Chicago as my second favorite team for many years to come

MidwayMonster31
04-02-2009, 07:31 PM
You don't get a quarterback like this very often, let's hope that he is as advertised. Our offense just got a whole lot better in one fell swoop.

regoob2
04-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Ok, I have to turn off ESPN. These talking heads are pissing me off about how we paid too much or some other ******** ****.

Current offense plus Orton and DHB <<<<<<< Current offense plus Cutler. **** it.
As the biggest DHB supporter here Id take Cutler and Earl Bennett all day over Orton and DHB.

Geo
04-02-2009, 07:57 PM
I had DHB pegged to the Bears in the mock I'm working on, but I like the Cutler trade so much more for them.

pellepelle_10
04-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Man..talk about one of the best days as a Bear fan. I can't put to words how good this feels. *sigh* I need some drinks right now. lol

Egd584
04-02-2009, 08:01 PM

Totally agree. ESPN is just having their "experts" pimp the draft some more so more people will watch in a few weeks.

BeerBaron
04-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Totally agree. ESPN is just having their "experts" pimp the draft some more so more people will watch in a few weeks.

My thoughts exactly. They just have to have a few dissenting opinions to keep it interesting. If they were saying "Oh wow, awesome by the Bears to trade some picks to pick up a potential franchise QB" then it wouldn't be as interesting to watch.

BaLLiN
04-02-2009, 08:54 PM
BB im happy for you, i didnt really feel like any player was worth your pick in the position you wanted, Cutler just needs one decent tall reciever and your offense will be very nicely balanced.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-02-2009, 09:18 PM
The good news: We got a ******* stud of a QB!

The bad news: The draft is going to be a bore for us for a while. Our offseason is going to be brutal if this team underachieves.

Donno
04-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Man if I lived in Chicago I would pop the boner of a lifetime, Cutler and Orlando Pace **** man. Great job by Angelo.

pellepelle_10
04-02-2009, 10:07 PM
My thoughts exactly. They just have to have a few dissenting opinions to keep it interesting. If they were saying "Oh wow, awesome by the Bears to trade some picks to pick up a potential franchise QB" then it wouldn't be as interesting to watch.

Anybody watch Mike Mayocks commentary on this whole ordeal? Man he's running Denvers management through the cleaners. He called Denvers offense a fine tuned Ferrari whose just lost its premier piece. In addition he states how it makes no sense for them to replace a franchise quarterback when they may very well trade up with these 2 picks to get an unproven one.

Mayock has been going to town on this...lol..he's all worked up about Denver letting Cutler go. I'm hoping this is good for us.

Buckeyes
04-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Whose Jay gonna throw to?? Earl Bennett...clutch, let me tell you, clutch

Smokey Joe
04-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Oh man, talk about a jizz worthy day...

Now if we get Holt (Lucas to if JA wants, I don't care), talk about a ******* awesome offseason.

regoob2
04-02-2009, 10:34 PM
I really hope we sign Lucas and cut Vasher. That would be great. Im ok if we dont go after Holt.

Titans10
04-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Cutler and Bennett are both having the same dream tonight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-2yd_EPqB8

Smokey Joe
04-02-2009, 11:02 PM
anyone know when the press conference is when we introduce Cutler (and probably Pace)? I wanna watch that.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-02-2009, 11:06 PM
anyone know when the press conference is when we introduce Cutler (and probably Pace)? I wanna watch that.

5pm central

bearsfan_51
04-02-2009, 11:15 PM
It's funny because I love Jerry Angelo and I'm actually not nutty about the trade. I'm happy and excited because we made a HUGE move and we can finally stop worrying about the quarterback position, but it came at the cost of a lot of value.

The upside is that Cutler is 25. Which means we'll probably get a good 10 years out of him, making the long term benefits much more cost effective. It's a move we had to make, but I'm a little nervous about how much we've invested.

LonghornsLegend
04-02-2009, 11:22 PM
I think JA made a ballsy move but it's not all that bad, you lose the 1st this year but still have plenty of picks after it...Next year your cross that 1st off but for the price of hitting with Cutler I don't think it was too much at all, you weren't going to get a QB like this for a bargain price.

Only way I'd say the price was too steep was for a team like Washington with no picks to begin with, you guys will still come away with some solid players from this draft.

BeerBaron
04-03-2009, 01:16 AM
Yeahhhhhhh I drank to celebrate!!! Woo! We got a franchise freaking quarterback!!!

This still feeels like, so unreall. I dot even know.

shady00
04-03-2009, 01:24 AM
Cutler and Pace. We are truly spoiled.

Gay Ork Wang
04-03-2009, 05:18 AM
im one day out drinking and the world turns upside down o.O

seriously am i still drunk?

xspikex
04-03-2009, 05:30 AM
I'm really really nervous, that was a hefty price for a young guy with alot of upside.
I for one loved what Orton showed us last year, and think he will do great in Denvers system.
Is he as talented as Cutler? Not even close, and Cutler fits our system alot better, but still, thats alot of picks..
It shows JA is ready to take a chance, let's just hope it turns out well.

If it fails I'm welcoming Mike Shanahan next year! :)

Monomach
04-03-2009, 06:03 AM
Anybody watch Mike Mayocks commentary on this whole ordeal? Man he's running Denvers management through the cleaners. He called Denvers offense a fine tuned Ferrari whose just lost its premier piece. In addition he states how it makes no sense for them to replace a franchise quarterback when they may very well trade up with these 2 picks to get an unproven one.

Mayock has been going to town on this...lol..he's all worked up about Denver letting Cutler go. I'm hoping this is good for us.

He's seriously underestimating how well that system and supporting cast will play to Orton's strengths. Denver's offense won't be nearly as good as it would have been with Cutler, but it will be above average.

What he does next season will get him paid.

ChezPower4
04-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Cutler and Pace. We are truly spoiled.

I'd bet money that Pace will get hurt this year. It's kinda his thing now...

BeerBaron
04-03-2009, 10:53 AM
I'd bet money that Pace will get hurt this year. It's kinda his thing now...

You know, everyone keeps saying that as if it was him we gave up all these picks for. I'm tired of hearing it.

I mean ****, if Williams and Shaffer impress, he might not even be starting. I don't want to hear it anymore. We didn't pay him some huge blockbuster deal and we would probably have been ok without signing him.

We added to our depth with him at least and if he does end up hurt, then **** it, lots of people end up hurt and no one's expecting him to be a pro bowler or anything.

Bearsfan123
04-03-2009, 11:04 AM
So with Pace and Schaffer what is our starting line looking like right now? Is Pace our LT or will Williams be our guy still? Right now I am happy about the trade but am worried about our O-line and receiving corps. I hope we go after a young RT with that comp 3rd. and I pray that some good receiver falls into the 2nd or a safety. ^_^

BeerBaron
04-03-2009, 11:31 AM
So with Pace and Schaffer what is our starting line looking like right now? Is Pace our LT or will Williams be our guy still? Right now I am happy about the trade but am worried about our O-line and receiving corps. I hope we go after a young RT with that comp 3rd. and I pray that some good receiver falls into the 2nd or a safety. ^_^

From the sounds of things recently:

LT - Pace
LG - Omiyale
C - Kreutz
RG - Shaffer
RT - Willliams

I'd personally like to see Pace and Williams switch as I like my RT to be more physical and that was one of William's weaknesses coming in.

Gay Ork Wang
04-03-2009, 11:41 AM
apparently Mayock says Williams at RT wouldnt be a big problem because it was something he was projected to be anyways cause of his armlenght

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-03-2009, 11:57 AM
From the sounds of things recently:

LT - Pace
LG - Omiyale
C - Kreutz
RG - Shaffer
RT - Willliams

I'd personally like to see Pace and Williams switch as I like my RT to be more physical and that was one of William's weaknesses coming in.

4 new starters on the OL. It's awesome, because there is a lot of talent there, but I hope they can get on the same page right away. They are mostly vets so I bet they do.

I really hope Omiyale & Chris Williams are as good as we think they can be.

I mean, look at last years OL compared to that. That is mind numbing. We had 2 bad guards, John St. Clair, & John Tait.

Gay Ork Wang
04-03-2009, 12:22 PM
again guys, did we really trade for Cutler? o.o its like a dream i guess

bored of education
04-03-2009, 12:23 PM
again guys, did we really trade for Cutler? o.o its like a dream i guess

/me mounts RENJI!

Gay Ork Wang
04-03-2009, 12:24 PM
/me mounts RENJI!
boe u are stalking me!

but

/me mounts boe

touchdownmaker
04-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Congratulations boys. Its about time you guys got a Quarterback. Now Lovie can focus on the defense which is his strong point. The NFL Norse just got a lot more intersting.

SFbear
04-03-2009, 12:28 PM
I guess add this to the long list of reasons Ron Turner probably should have been fired.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/03/cutler-ron-turner-have-rocky-history/#respond

Its probably not a big deal but you can't really say that Cutler doesn't hold grudges.

FlyingElvis
04-03-2009, 12:40 PM
^ That seems more worthy of a grudge than the Cassel trade talks, imo.

So are you Bears fans hoping for a WR in round 2 now? Someone like Robisikie to make it to 49 maybe?

SFbear
04-03-2009, 12:50 PM

So are you Bears fans hoping for a WR in round 2 now? Someone like Robisikie to make it to 49 maybe?

Theres some discussion about it in the draft thread. Robiskie looks to the favorite so far.

Geo
04-03-2009, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't count on Robiskie falling that far.

FlyingElvis
04-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Probably not. I would hope he doesn't make it past 47 if he's there.

I'm still shocked by Cutler being moved. You guys must be ecstatic!

BeerBaron
04-03-2009, 02:38 PM

A WR would be nice but I don't count on anyone who would be worth it being there.

My smart money goes towards someone like Sidbury or maybe Kruger. The o-line has been stocked up with vets and so has the FS spot. Out of the crop of guys we have we'll have some starters emerge I'm sure.

Now DE, Wale will be a free agent after next year, Mark Anderson hasn't been worthwhile since he was a rookie and Alex Brown is Alex Brown.....so I could see us moving back towards the DE route and a small school guy like Sidbury is like guys our GM has targeted in years past.

sweetness34
04-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Cutler press conference in an hour and a half. Wonder what number he chooses. ;)

One thing I do hope is that he stays away from talking about the Denver situation too much, but I don't think he'll be able to help that once the questions start. So if he is asked about what happened I hope he just speaks in generalities and doesn't sling mud. He's a Chicago Bear now and the only thing I want on his mind is getting us some Super Bowls! :D

Gay Ork Wang
04-03-2009, 03:33 PM
he shall be the Cumslinger v.2.0 the upgraded version

dabears10
04-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Jay Cutler gets me hot.

http://www.bearsgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/jay-cutler.jpg

sweetness34
04-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Pretty much what I hoped for...didn't talk about Denver much and when he did it was positive.

I hope he wasn't serious when he said he liked the weapons we have on this team. I understand not wanting to throw your teammates under the bus but I would assume he sees that we need to upgrade our WR's.

dabears10
04-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Pretty much what I hoped for...didn't talk about Denver much and when he did it was positive.

I hope he wasn't serious when he said he liked the weapons we have on this team. I understand not wanting to throw your teammates under the bus but I would assume he sees that we need to upgrade our WR's.

I believe he was being very PC. You can't go to a new team and say "These Receivers are not very good." Also, the fact that one of the receivers, Earl Bennett, is probably a friend.

sweetness34
04-03-2009, 05:29 PM
I like Bennett and Hester's potential, I think they can be good WR's in this league. But we need more, and we need it very soon.

I know he was being PC but I truly hope that he realizes we need upgrades.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
04-04-2009, 01:31 AM
Wow, I didnt see this coming. Not that I think it was a bad trade, but didnt hear Chicago mentioned much...

Gay Ork Wang
04-04-2009, 06:10 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f9926d

"Im not gonna hash more about Denver"
me likey

regoob2
04-04-2009, 08:28 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f9926d

"Im not gonna hash more about Denver"
me likeyWatch the Marshall on Cutler. Marshall sounds mad. Takes kind of a shot at Cutler.

Smokey Joe
04-04-2009, 04:47 PM
apparently Mayock says Williams at RT wouldnt be a big problem because it was something he was projected to be anyways cause of his armlenght
Don't put too much stock into what Mayock says. He's an idiot. He also said Branden Albert was looked at as only a G or RT coming out. WRONG. He was looked at as being either a G or LT. He could play RT, but not one team was gonna put him there unless they were set at both LT and LG.

Also, BeerBaron, you gotta stop with this crap about not liking Williams on the right side because he isn't what you look for in a RT. If you can play LT, you can play RT, and quite frankly, I'd much rather see what is practically a rookie in Chris Williams start right away at RT then move to LT in a year or two. Plus, none of us have ever actually seen him play.

Gay Ork Wang
04-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Mayock >>>>>>>>>>>> any other Draft expert

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Don't put too much stock into what Mayock says. He's an idiot. He also said Branden Albert was looked at as only a G or RT coming out. WRONG. He was looked at as being either a G or LT. He could play RT, but not one team was gonna put him there unless they were set at both LT and LG.

Also, BeerBaron, you gotta stop with this crap about not liking Williams on the right side because he isn't what you look for in a RT. If you can play LT, you can play RT, and quite frankly, I'd much rather see what is practically a rookie in Chris Williams start right away at RT then move to LT in a year or two. Plus, none of us have ever actually seen him play.

I don't think Mayock was wrong when he said Albert was looked at as a G or RT. I saw the show last night and I think his point as that Albert was viewed as a RT/G by most teams and if they drafted Monroe he would just slide into RT and be perfectly fine. Mayock was the first one last year to say Albert was a high first round pick. Mayock said all last year that Albert was athletic enough to play LT. I think if other teams viewed him as a LT prospect he would have went earlier. Teams were probably worried about taking him and trying to plug him in at tackle since he hadn't played the position in a while.

Mayock is pretty well respected by the league since he is a former player.

Gay Ork Wang
04-04-2009, 09:14 PM
i still remember when he had Matt Ryan his #1 ranked player and everyone bashed him for that

regoob2
04-04-2009, 09:20 PM
i still remember when he had Matt Ryan his #1 ranked player and everyone bashed him for that
I remember when I wanted us to trade up to get Ryan if he started to fall and everyone bashed me for it.

Smokey Joe
04-04-2009, 09:20 PM
I don't think Mayock was wrong when he said Albert was looked at as a G or RT. I saw the show last night and I think his point as that Albert was viewed as a RT/G by most teams and if they drafted Monroe he would just slide into RT and be perfectly fine. Mayock was the first one last year to say Albert was a high first round pick. Mayock said all last year that Albert was athletic enough to play LT. I think if other teams viewed him as a LT prospect he would have went earlier. Teams were probably worried about taking him and trying to plug him in at tackle since he hadn't played the position in a while.

Mayock is pretty well respected by the league since he is a former player.
There were plenty of people on here who were saying all that stuff about Albert long before Mayock.

Smokey Joe
04-04-2009, 09:21 PM
I remember when I wanted us to trade up to get Ryan if he started to fall and everyone bashed me for it.
And rightfully so... if we got him, we wouldn't have lord Cutler right now.

Gay Ork Wang
04-04-2009, 09:22 PM
true. Jay Cutler >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Matt Ryan

SFbear
04-04-2009, 09:22 PM

Or when he said Jay Cutler >>> Vince Young and Matt Leinart

regoob2
04-04-2009, 09:24 PM
And rightfully so... if we got him, we wouldn't have lord Cutler right now.
I dont think we wouldnt have taken Ryan because we knew a year later we'd be able to trade for Cutler.

Gay Ork Wang
04-04-2009, 09:26 PM
I dont think we wouldnt have taken Ryan because we knew a year later we'd be able to trade for Cutler.
we might have had to give up our 2nd round pick too. We got the better Matt anyways

regoob2
04-04-2009, 09:41 PM
we might have had to give up our 2nd round pick too. We got the better Matt anyways
Id take Cutler and Forte all day but if Ryan was available I would go after him.

Gay Ork Wang
04-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Id take Cutler and Forte all day but if Ryan was available I would go after him.
i still think Matt Ryan wouldve failed

regoob2
04-04-2009, 10:08 PM
i still think Matt Ryan wouldve failedBut he didnt. That's why your wrong!! :p

Gay Ork Wang
04-04-2009, 10:10 PM
wouldve failed in chicago is what i meant. no dome!

BeerBaron
04-05-2009, 11:13 AM
We had every reason to believe Ryan would fail.....especially as a Bear. 19 picks? Come on......

regoob2
04-05-2009, 11:58 AM
We had every reason to believe Ryan would fail.....especially as a Bear. 19 picks? Come on......
No we didnt.

Smokey Joe
04-05-2009, 01:10 PM
I personally think Ryan will still fail. I mean, I think he'll be a solid QB, but I don't see him being one of the league's elite QB's in the future. He's a solid player who benefited greatly of being in the perfect situation in Atlanta. Pretty much, I view him as a good, solid, reliable player, but not a great player. Definitely someone you can have as your franchise QB though, but not an elite guy.

BeerBaron
04-05-2009, 01:16 PM
I personally think Ryan will still fail. I mean, I think he'll be a solid QB, but I don't see him being one of the league's elite QB's in the future. He's a solid player who benefited greatly of being in the perfect situation in Atlanta. Pretty much, I view him as a good, solid, reliable player, but not a great player. Definitely someone you can have as your franchise QB though, but not an elite guy.

So he will fail, but be a reliable franchise QB.... I think that's a bit contradictory.

Even if he's never elite, most teams would kill for a guy who simply fits their system and protects the ball. Like a Matt Hasselbeck or Marc Bulger a few years ago.

I didn't like him coming out and i think he would have been a major failure if we took him. I think he'll do alright in Atlanta.

regoob2
04-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Very nice sig. I do think Ryan was a bit overrated last season. He played well but definitely not great.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Very nice sig. I do think Ryan was a bit overrated last season. He played well but definitely not great.

That throw Matt Ryan made against the Bears to put the Falcons into position to kick the last second field goal was incredible. I think he and Cutler are the two best young QBs in the league. 2005-2008 drafts.

Jerry might be doing it again:

And on the subject of the Bears, don't count them out of draft-day dealing. General manager Jerry Angelo says the team already is discussing scenarios in which it can move up from its 17th spot in the second round to acquire a "bubble first-rounder" early in the second round. Angelo also is open to the possibility of moving down if the round does not break right.

Smokey Joe
04-05-2009, 01:45 PM
That's pretty much what I was talking about the other day. If Nicks or Britt are there around 34-37, it's a no brainer to trade up. But if we can't trade up/their not there at 49, why not trade down and pick up an extra mid round pick. Basically throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

MidwayMonster31
04-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Jerry might be doing it again:It will be interesting to see what he will be targeting if that's the case. If I had to guess, it would be getting Cutler a nice wide receiver to throw to. Cutler to Britt would sound nice.

Monomach
04-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Cutler to Britt would sound nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4

Smokey Joe
04-05-2009, 02:47 PM
the rumored asking price for Braylon Edwards is a 2nd and a 5th. Why the hell not just do that? I suppose money would be an issue, but Edwards would be a great pickup.

Monomach
04-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Some folks may call me crazy, but those folks aren't Charger fans. I'm just going to throw this out there:

Malcolm Floyd has soft hands, decent speed, can jump really high, and is a giant. He turned the corner this season. Can we beat that with #49?

Poison pill?

Monomach
04-05-2009, 03:05 PM
the rumored asking price for Braylon Edwards is a 2nd and a 5th. Why the hell not just do that? I suppose money would be an issue, but Edwards would be a great pickup.Edwards strikes me as the kind of guy who is going to rape someone contract-wise.

Oh, and I heard the Giants offered a second, a fifth, and Manningham, but were turned down.

bearsfan_51
04-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Money would definately be an issue. See the salary cap thread, we're pretty close to the wall.