PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Chicago Bears General Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

MidwayMonster31
06-16-2009, 12:35 AM
Marshall will probably want a deal in place with his new team before he gets traded. He can unofficially agree to a new deal before the trade becomes official. He can tell Denver that he agreed to a new deal with the Bears, then Denver can get whatever draft pick out of Chicago. This has been done before with players that have held out for a new contract.

the decider13
06-16-2009, 12:40 AM
on the other hand, the Bears might be the #1 option for marshall

He has never expressed having a friendship with Cutler, so I don't get why it is assumed that he is interested in the Bears in anyway.

Just wondering what is with the leaps to conclusions.

Gay Ork Wang
06-16-2009, 04:45 AM
He has never expressed having a friendship with Cutler, so I don't get why it is assumed that he is interested in the Bears in anyway.

Just wondering what is with the leaps to conclusions.
He did, there was that one interview were he said he was really unhappy that Cutler left, and he bought both of them a picture of their first touchdown and how he was looking forward to a bunch of more TDs.

SFbear
06-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Bears | Have placed call to Burress

Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:30:30 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Chicago Bears have placed a call to the agent for free-agent WR Plaxico Burress (Giants), Drew Rosenhaus.

regoob2
06-16-2009, 01:53 PM

Just wondering what is with the leaps to conclusions.If Marshall wants to put up big time numbers having Orton as your QB wont help.

the decider13
06-16-2009, 02:21 PM
If Marshall wants to put up big time numbers having Orton as your QB wont help.

I understand that...but the bears aren't the only team with a QB that can throw the ball.

I'm gonna have to say that there is no way Marshall ends up a Bear. Book it. I could see him going almost anywhere except the bears. The only places that are less likely are AFC west teams.

bearfan
06-16-2009, 03:18 PM
If Marshall wants to put up big time numbers having Orton as your QB wont help.

I disagree, I think Orton can be as good or better than Cassell in McDaniels offense. He had just a few less touchdowns, and a few more turnovers overall, but besides yards they were pretty close in the things that count.

BeerBaron
06-16-2009, 03:21 PM
I think we're 100x more likely to be getting Plax than Marshall. I think the only major advantages Marshall would bring over him would be experience with Cutler and he would likely be longer term help.

Gay Ork Wang
06-16-2009, 04:58 PM
how is longer term help an ONLY

BeerBaron
06-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Beefeater dry gin shot.......

BUSTKUNTLAWL
06-17-2009, 10:29 PM
http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/06/lovie_happy_with_roster_as_it.html

"Smith said the Bears have had no discussions about Brandon Marshall, who announced earlier this week that he would like to be traded out of Denver like former teammate Jay Cutler was."

Lovie Smith said the Bears have not ruled out pursuing free-agent wide receiver Plaxico Burress, but he believes the team can win with what it has right now.

regoob2
06-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Beefeater dry gin shot.......They arent tasty.

regoob2
06-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Steve is not going to incriminate himself. But, you are reaching here good sir. Although, being able to listen to Mr. Angelo lay down the hammer via the cell phone would be an intriguing listen.

As for Plaxico - Steve expects it to happen, but isn't sure on a time table. Hester, Cutler, Pace, and others have been angling for him here already and Lovie & Angelo are under pressure to win now. Steve does know that Plaxico would love to catch passes from Cutler and has expressed that to Rosenhaus. Rosenhaus and Angelo have a pretty decent relationship which could also come into play. (minus the Briggs disaster which worked out nicely in the end)

Onto Brandon Marshall - Steve doesn't even see Jerry Angelo making more than one phone call about this guy. Marshall has beaten his girlfriend more times than Steve has gotten blumpkin's.

1) You would have to give up a decent amount of compensation for him. Can the Bears even top other teams offers? Steve doubts it. Tampa makes some sense since they have some coin to spend and need another big time receiver.

2) You would have to pay this guy a decent amount of coin. Top 5ish receiver money most likely and he is one beefeater dry gin shot away from coming home and beating his new girlfriend and being suspended for a long time.

On an ironic note Steve was watching an old Soprano's episode last night and it happened to be the one where Ralphy beats to death his 20 year old stripper girlfriend.

Steve's favorite wife beater of all time would have to be Bobby Cox:

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/lang_whitaker/08/01/the.links/p1_cox.jpg

Until next time..

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2007/news/070625/steve_perry2.jpg
It depends what Burress wants. Does he want a quick pay day before his possible jail time or a chance to win another title. My guess is money. Tampa and the Jets will offer more imo.

BeerBaron
06-18-2009, 07:08 PM
They arent tasty.

I'd imagine not. That just sounds awful......I picture a mix between gin and beef jerky, which would be pretty awful.

It depends what Burress wants. Does he want a quick pay day before his possible jail time or a chance to win another title. My guess is money. Tampa and the Jets will offer more imo.

Both of those teams will likely be breaking in very young QBs at least by mid-season, and it's not like we're right up against the cap. If we sign him to a big 1 year deal with what we have left under the cap, it's not going to hurt us in a year.

Meanwhile, he really could help us in that year.

awfullyquiet
06-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Beefeater dry gin shot.......

it taste like pine needles. lots of them. and firewater.

Onto Brandon Marshall - Steve doesn't even see Jerry Angelo making more than one phone call about this guy. Marshall has beaten his girlfriend more times than Steve has gotten blumpkin's.

Ew. Blumpkin.

awfullyquiet
06-18-2009, 10:17 PM
secondly.

as much as one would hate lovie...

he does have a pretty good record for his tenure in chicago

regoob2
06-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Edit: That seemed funnier at the time. :p

Gay Ork Wang
06-25-2009, 03:13 PM
i ******* hate the offseason

Smokey Joe
06-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Maybe the offseason hates you....

dabears10
06-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Maybe the offseason hates you....

I thought that was in Soviet Russia...

SFbear
07-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Cheer up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73dW4740ILE

regoob2
07-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Cheer up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73dW4740ILE
lol. I love that play.

BeerBaron
07-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Griese was cut by Tampa today. I know everyone seems to love Hanie, but I'd personally see if Griese was interested in the backup job for the veteran minimum.

Like, he could be the veteran backup who goes in the game if Cutler gets hurt (god forbid) and then if Cutler is out for a little bit, then maybe we could move Hanie up and let him be the starter after a week to prepare.

I've heard of other teams taking that approach, and I'd consider it.

regoob2
07-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Griese was cut by Tampa today. I know everyone seems to love Hanie, but I'd personally see if Griese was interested in the backup job for the veteran minimum.

Like, he could be the veteran backup who goes in the game if Cutler gets hurt (god forbid) and then if Cutler is out for a little bit, then maybe we could move Hanie up and let him be the starter after a week to prepare.

I've heard of other teams taking that approach, and I'd consider it.
I dont see the need. Im fine with Hanie.

Gay Ork Wang
07-15-2009, 07:17 AM
ive just put the Eagles Bears game on. Adams cant get to the QB at all

BeerBaron
07-15-2009, 10:21 AM
ive just put the Eagles Bears game on. Adams cant get to the QB at all

Well, he's a NT. I know that's less of an excuse in the 4-3 but if he's tying up two blockers, then he's doing his job. It's then up to the other guys to beat their 1v1s to get there.

Gay Ork Wang
07-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Well, he's a NT. I know that's less of an excuse in the 4-3 but if he's tying up two blockers, then he's doing his job. It's then up to the other guys to beat their 1v1s to get there.
he did have 1v1s and didnt do **** so i was kinda wondering what he was doing. he was next to Dusty i believe. couldve been Idonjie who got the double

BeerBaron
07-15-2009, 01:31 PM
he did have 1v1s and didnt do **** so i was kinda wondering what he was doing. he was next to Dusty i believe. couldve been Idonjie who got the double

Idonije did get a lot of doubles that I saw last year.....beast.

regoob2
07-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Anyone else think we should make an offer for Jarmon? I would give up a 6th for him. Even a 5th depending on how we feel Ogun and Melton have looked.

Gay Ork Wang
07-19-2009, 08:42 AM
According to Football Outsiders, the Bears' defense was No. 1 in the league in yards after the catch (3.9), and he credits Brown for much of that saying he was in the right place to prevent the Bears from giving up the deep ball. If he just could have found a way to stop the 115 slant passes the Bears gave up combined vs. Tampa Bay and Tennessee.
******* Slants.

bearfan
07-19-2009, 10:10 AM
I think the slants have been our biggest weakness for a while. Even when our defense was top 5 in the league the slant would murder us. For example the Tampa Bay game where Bryant missed the field goal at the end; I believe Simms was the QB and just marched downfield with slants and short passes which were only effective because of the prevention of the deep ball.

awfullyquiet
07-20-2009, 08:36 AM
******* Slants.

thats due to bad defensive planning.
not the inability of our players.

SFbear
07-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Well when your CBs are playing 10 yds off the line of scrimmage and your MLB and WLB linebackers are rushing up the middle in a predictable blitz package only to get stuffed at the line of scrimmage, its apparent where the gaping hole in your defense will be.

In Babich's defense, he had to blitz the linebackers because the front four weren't getting it done. The CB thing though has been a Lovie Smith signature and still pisses me off. I understand on 3rd and long but on 3rd and short what do you expect is going to happen if you give the WRs all that space.

Gay Ork Wang
07-23-2009, 08:15 AM
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/sports/1678297,CST-SPT-bear22.article

Apparently Garza is pretty good

bearsfan_51
07-23-2009, 10:31 AM
No way, Garza is going to get beat out by Dan Buenning. Just ask Smokey.

sweetness34
07-23-2009, 12:22 PM
This was the same guy who has been trashing Cutler and saying he will remind us of Rex Grossman. KC Joyner can lick my nuts, but if he's right about Garza then that's very surprising as I thought he didn't have that great of a season last year.

Gay Ork Wang
07-24-2009, 07:30 AM
when was the last time a bears rookie was holding out? i think we are really spoiled with how fast we sign them, although we didnt have a 1st or 2nd round pick this year

DaBear89
07-24-2009, 08:40 AM
when was the last time a bears rookie was holding out? i think we are really spoiled with how fast we sign them, although we didnt have a 1st or 2nd round pick this year

i believe that would be a certain #32...

Gay Ork Wang
07-24-2009, 08:46 AM
before that. Like a player that was actually good

MidwayMonster31
07-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Normally, we're very good with signing our rookies. Benson is really the only one that I remember. Personally, I think holding out is stupid for rookies. A lot of them ruin their season before it even starts.

BeerBaron
07-24-2009, 01:27 PM
Normally, we're very good with signing our rookies. Benson is really the only one that I remember. Personally, I think holding out is stupid for rookies. A lot of them ruin their season before it even starts.

And it can even set them back in their careers. Ask Quinn and Russell who seem a good half season behind at least because of their holdouts...

BeerBaron
07-27-2009, 08:54 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/27/back-surgery-for-charles-tillman/

Ah....well that's bad news. I hope he doesn't go the way of Azumah and his neck with that back.

TitleTown088
07-27-2009, 10:17 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/27/back-surgery-for-charles-tillman/

Ah....well that's bad news. I hope he doesn't go the way of Azumah and his neck with that back.

If he dosen't get healthy before the regular season. That could be real bad news for the bears facing a passing team in week one.

BeerBaron
07-27-2009, 10:20 PM
If he dosen't get healthy before the regular season. That could be real bad news for the bears facing a passing team in week one.

According to that time table, he should be back. Might be rusty though missing that much of camp and the preseason....

It'll put our depth to the test for sure. Hopefully Vasher can return to pro bowl form and our young guys step it up.

TitleTown088
07-27-2009, 11:27 PM
According to that time table, he should be back.

Perhaps not....

According to the Associated Press, Bears CB Charles Tillman's back surgery could keep him sidelined up to 10 weeks.
The negative end of the 4-10 week timeline would put Peanut out until the Bears' Week 5 bye. With three interdivision games in the first four weeks, that would be a crippling loss. Tillman will be placed on the camp/PUP list Friday. There appears to be an outside chance that he'll stay there into the season.

Uh o?

bearsfan_51
07-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Injuries happen. If he missed 2-3 games then he does. That's certainly not "crippling" by any stretch of the imagination. Cutler going down is crippling. There isn't another player on the team we can't win without, particularly just for a handful of games.

Stop reaching for straws just because your defense is made out of butter.

Gay Ork Wang
07-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Injuries happen. If he missed 2-3 games then he does. That's certainly not "crippling" by any stretch of the imagination. Cutler going down is crippling. There isn't another player on the team we can't win without, particularly just for a handful of games.

If forte was down, we'd be pretty ****** too

TitleTown088
07-28-2009, 11:34 AM

I'm not sure if you're refering to me?

I said, "uh o?" because you may be without a starting CB for 3 divisional games, I didn't say he couldn't be replaced or the it was " crippling". Not to mention I used a question mark with it to insinuate the question of whether or not it was a big deal.

Lighten up.

bearsfan_51
07-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Lighten up.
NO YoU LIGHTEN UP!!!

TitleTown088
07-28-2009, 05:04 PM
NO YoU LIGHTEN UP!!!

YOU FORGOT ONE CAP LOCK.

BTW 2009 packers D> 2009 bears D. ;)

Gay Ork Wang
07-28-2009, 05:34 PM
if the > is indicating yards allowed, then absolutely

awfullyquiet
07-29-2009, 11:54 AM
packers... defense made of butter?

i like that.

if tillman comes back healthy... the extra 5 weeks i think will do him well for rest...

we'll have some reserves who turn out to be our next hope... and danieal manning as the n-back... lame.

SFbear
07-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Manning will be starting training camp at free safety.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=5951

Graham was moved back to CB and I have to assume Steltz just really sucks. I can't decide what position has been consistently the worst in Lovie's tenure. QB, WR, or FS.

Also I feel the media is going to love making a big deal out of this http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/29/bobby-wade-says-urlacher-thinks-cutlers-a-*****/

Well the link wont work because of the censors but basically Bobby Wade says that Urlacher thinks Cutler is a *****.

MidwayMonster31
07-29-2009, 12:30 PM
From what I hear, Bowman will get the first shot at replacing Peanut. The coaches say that he earned it based on how well he did at OTAs. If he can somehow stay healthy, he could be the future at cornerback.

Gay Ork Wang
07-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Manning will be starting training camp at free safety.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=5951

Graham was moved back to CB and I have to assume Steltz just really sucks. I can't decide what position has been consistently the worst in Lovie's tenure. QB, WR, or FS.

Also I feel the media is going to love making a big deal out of this http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/29/bobby-wade-says-urlacher-thinks-cutlers-a-*****/

Well the lonk wont work because of the censors but basically Bobby Wade says that Urlacher thinks Cutler is a *****.

Bobby Wade just wants to take the attention off of the viqueens

TitleTown088
07-29-2009, 02:26 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/29/tommie-harris-jumps-into-urlacher-cutler-fray/

Tommy Harris no likey.

TitleTown088
07-29-2009, 03:49 PM
The score 670 said that Urlacher and Cutler got into a fight. You guys hear anything about it?

SFbear
07-29-2009, 04:08 PM
The score 670 said that Urlacher and Cutler got into a fight. You guys hear anything about it?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-30-bears-urlacher-jul30,0,5380020.story

Urlacher also was humored by aWSCR-AM report that he had to be restrained from going after Cutler during organized team activities.

``I didn't even practice," Urlacher said, referring to a minor groin injury that limited his participation. ``If anything, I called him a few names for zipping balls by my head with that cannon he has. Me having to be restrained? That's funny."

TitleTown088
07-29-2009, 04:14 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-30-bears-urlacher-jul30,0,5380020.story

Urlacher also was humored by aWSCR-AM report that he had to be restrained from going after Cutler during organized team activities.

``I didn't even practice," Urlacher said, referring to a minor groin injury that limited his participation. ``If anything, I called him a few names for zipping balls by my head with that cannon he has. Me having to be restrained? That's funny."Ha.PFT starting beef.

bearsfan_51
07-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Of course he's a *****, he's a quarterback. Who cares?

Gay Ork Wang
07-30-2009, 10:24 AM
im not a big fan of moving Daniel Manning again. He did fine as a nickelback and kickoff returner

edit: http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1692358,CST-SPT-mac30.article

oh god, one of the worst articles i have read.

bearsfan_51
07-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Manning will still play nickel back. They'll put Steltz at FS in nickel and dime situations.

bearsfan_51
07-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Also, I buy the article. It's speculation, but it makes sense. Urlacher has shown nothing since he's been in Chicago to prove that he's not a piece of **** human being. Great player, hard worker, but he's always come off as a white trash punk.

I just don't really care if he called Cutler a *****. I doubt Cutler cares either. He's going to be getting paid either way, and it's not like he's throwing the ball to Urlacher.

SFbear
07-30-2009, 12:57 PM
http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog?post=4365136&name=dickerson

Were talking to Matt Jones's agent. I'm conflicted about bringing him in.

BeerBaron
07-30-2009, 01:39 PM

Were talking to Matt Jones's agent. I'm conflicted about bringing him in.

Well, I think he's coming off of his best year in Jacksonville, and his most recent legal trouble was a bit overblown I think as it didn't actually violate anything court-related but it did some program he was in...I can't remember how it all actually went down now. I heard him talking about it on First Take a few weeks ago.

Can't be any worse than Plaxico....not as good of player obviously, but no looming suspensions and he'd be cheaper.

awfullyquiet
07-31-2009, 11:30 AM
1) Boers and Bernstein are colossal dbags. listening to the score is ********. especially in that timeslot... i also don't believe most of their speculation garbage.
2) We'll see when the bears play the viqueens if there's a nice big hit for wade.
3) BF is correct... it's really pointless one way or another.
4) Matt Jones would be a fantastic addition. Definitely a solid receiver to compete on a lackluster squad...

regoob2
07-31-2009, 06:04 PM

Were talking to Matt Jones's agent. I'm conflicted about bringing him in.Id be all for it. Jones is a good WR has has do it all potential.

Gay Ork Wang
08-02-2009, 04:17 AM
I heard a rumor that the Bears are one of a handful of teams interested in receiver Matt Jones. Is that true?

Henry K.
San Jose, California

While I heard that Matt Jones’ representatives may have contacted the Bears, the Bears are not interested in signing the former Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver at this time.

Larry Mayer from Chicagobears.com

BeerBaron
08-02-2009, 09:56 AM
We must think that Earl Bennett is the next incarnation of Christ and that Rashied Davis will somehow suddenly not suck.....

sweetness34
08-02-2009, 10:05 AM
We must think that Earl Bennett is the next incarnation of Christ and that Rashied Davis will somehow suddenly not suck.....

I can tell your right now that Bennett looks like a different player than he did last year. Whether or not that means anything I have no idea but from the reports I've read and what I saw last night he looks good.

Angelo doesn't like to roll the dice on guys with "character issues," especially after the Tank Johnson fiasco so I don't blame him for passing on Jones. He has a lot of talent but he's also a dumbass and Angelo isn't one to take a chance on players like that.

We must have some plans with moving Forte and Olsen into the slot because there is no way we are going into the season with Davis and a bunch of rookies as our 3rd WR options. Davis dropped 3 passes last night, one of which was a WR screen in passing drills. I like Knox but he's a rookie and Iglesias had some trouble catching the ball last night as well. That leaves Rideau and Kinder, um yea. I think one of the most overlooked commodities of this season is Kevin Jones. It's been reported that he's fully healthy and he looked damn good last night, much more fluid and explosive than when I saw him last year. With Forte and Olsen's versatility I wouldn't doubt that in packages that require more than 2 WR's we move one of those two outside and bring in Jones.

bearsfan_51
08-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Or maybe just that Matt Jones sucks, is a drug addict, and couldn't get a job with any of the other 31 teams.

Gay Ork Wang
08-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Or maybe just that Matt Jones sucks, is a drug addict, and couldn't get a job with any of the other 31 teams.
But dude, he was a first round pick!

regoob2
08-02-2009, 03:08 PM
For some sick reason I think both could surprise a lot of people.

regoob2
08-02-2009, 03:09 PM
There is no proof that he is "addicted" to drugs. Other than wanting to do coke so bad that he would sit in a car in plain view of the public and do it......

regoob2
08-02-2009, 03:10 PM
But dude, he was a first round pick!That and he has shown the ability to be a solid NFL WR. Something that we could use.

BeerBaron
08-02-2009, 03:15 PM
And the coke charges were dropped, and he's not facing any further suspensions from the NFL.

regoob2
08-02-2009, 04:07 PM
And the coke charges were dropped, and he's not facing any further suspensions from the NFL.
If its true that Rideau is being looked at as our potential #3 WR then we should be begging Jones to come here.

TitleTown088
08-03-2009, 07:15 PM

Good thing he hasn't exhibited behavior to do anything like that again.

Gay Ork Wang
08-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Good thing he hasn't exhibited behavior to do anything like that again.
damn matt jones even drops coke chargers

D-Unit
08-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Realistic #s for Bennett this year?

BeerBaron
08-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Realistic #s for Bennett this year?

Hopefully a decent #2 receiver year. My conservative homer (I think they cancel out but who gives...) estimate is 55 catches, 800 yards and a handful of scores.

That's after Hester and Olsen have 1000 yard seasons too :) :) :)

regoob2
08-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Realistic #s for Bennett this year?40 for 500. 2 TDs.

Gay Ork Wang
08-11-2009, 12:04 PM
id say 3-4 TDs

Gay Ork Wang
08-11-2009, 06:39 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-training-camps/09000d5d811d305e/All-Access-Greg-Olsen

Greg's GF or wife is hot

dabears10
08-11-2009, 07:16 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-training-camps/09000d5d811d305e/All-Access-Greg-Olsen

Greg's GF or wife is hot

Wife I'm pretty sure and I agree.

VoteLynnSwan
08-11-2009, 08:48 PM

Greg's GF or wife is hot

ugh stupid 294 construction... I drive that **** everyday. It sucks.

SFbear
08-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Depth Chart is up.

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/depthchart.asp

Rideau and Aromashodu are climbing while Knox is at the bottom of the WRs. How many WRs are we going to keep this year?

Beekman is beating out Omiyale at LG.

Idonije is still listed at DT.

Afalava might make the team and Steltz is third string FS.

BeerBaron
08-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Depth Chart is up.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-28-bears-charles-tillman-chicagojul28,0,5877777.story

Rideau and Aromashodu are climbing while Knox is at the bottom of the WRs. How many WRs are we going to keep this year?

Beekman is beating out Omiyale at LG.

Idonije is still listed at DT.

Afalava might make the team and Steltz is third string FS.

I don't see a depth chart there....just an article about the CBs...

That'd be strange for Knox to be on the bottom. I had read that he had been looking the best out of the 3 drafted rookie receivers.

And if Beekman is starting again, then I hope he's improved on getting a push in the run game. I thought that was a pretty big weakness for him.

SFbear
08-11-2009, 10:25 PM
I don't see a depth chart there....just an article about the CBs...

That'd be strange for Knox to be on the bottom. I had read that he had been looking the best out of the 3 drafted rookie receivers.

And if Beekman is starting again, then I hope he's improved on getting a push in the run game. I thought that was a pretty big weakness for him.

Fixed it. Thanks. Here it is again http://www.chicagobears.com/team/depthchart.asp

BeerBaron
08-11-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm guessing the ones separated by slashes are competitions or rotations?

Kind of funny to see Lance Louis as our backup LT. I'm guessing if Pace went down, we'd switch Williams and plug in Shaffer.

sweetness34
08-11-2009, 10:51 PM
It's the first depth chart, I don't see any reason to worry at all. All these guys will get opportunities to prove themselves before the first game, especially the WR's. Rideau, D.A., and Knox's performances have not gone unnoticed but I'm sure Lovie and the staff are guardedly optimistic about them as well. They need to keep up the consistency.

Cutler has already gone to bat for D.A. asking the coaches to give him more chances and I know he's got a nice rapport going on with Rideau as well.

Only way to really judge these guys is this Saturday against Buffalo though.

BeerBaron
08-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Yeah, I'm not worried or anything. Still a lot of camp and 4 preseason games to determine things. Guys will step up and there will almost certainly be injuries that affect things (hopefully nothing serious.)

sweetness34
08-11-2009, 11:33 PM
I've been to TC twice already and I can tell you that Davis and Peterman have been the weak links of the WR core. The rest of the guys from what I saw looked better than those two. Davis does add special teams ability which is why I think Lovie still values his services but if the guy can't consistently catch passes on Sunday's, I don't think he deserves a spot over guys like Knox, Iglesias, Rideau, and D.A., ones that haven't had an opportunity yet to prove themselves. I'd rather take a chance with a young guy, we already know what we have in Davis and it would be nice to let the younger guys get an opportunity.

This is all assuming though that they keep performing at a high level both in practices and in the preseason games. Rideau looks like a player though, so hopefully he keeps it up. It would be nice to find a WR with some size to go along with Bennett and Hester.

bearfan
08-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Went to training camp the last two days, they just did a lot of drills but I agree with what Sweetness says: Rashied is looking like the weak link. He had a few drops today that he could have had. Peterman will not make the roster. I saw that Omiyale was working with the 1st team today over Beekman, as well as yesterday. Olson is being featured more, they have him and Cutler working a lot together.

Gay Ork Wang
08-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Any news on Kinder?

MicktheGreat
08-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Quick question for Bears' homers...

How do you see Devin Hester and Earl Bennett doing this season???

I just drafted Hester in my FF league and was wondering what some Bears' fans think about his chances this year. I'm a Titans' homer, so I don't get to check out many Bears' games. With the circus surrounding Cutler's arrival in Chicago, it's been tough to get any clear news on what to expect from the Bears' WRs this year.

I'm interested in Bennett's progress just because I have a soft spot in my heart for Vandy (grew up in northern TN watching Vandy when they were TERRIBLE) and got to see Bennett play a lot in college and hoping he succeeds in the NFL.

BeerBaron
08-13-2009, 02:39 PM
As for Bennett, another guy asked on the last page and we gave some responses. I'm hoping for good #2 recevier kind of numbers, like 750 yards and a handful of TDs. 500 yards is probably the more conservative thought though.

As for Hester, I'm hoping for 1000 yards. He's pretty clearly the top target on offense and is entering his 3rd year as a WR, which is one where they typically break out, and he has easily the best QB he's had in any year so far. 1000+ yards and maybe 6 or 7 TDs would be hella nice for him.

Gay Ork Wang
08-13-2009, 05:21 PM
i think we get 2006 Berrianish stats for hester, maybe a lil better

Gay Ork Wang
08-15-2009, 06:49 AM
Damn Olsen Forte and Cutler are funny. Especially Cutler and Olsen sound like friends. And they make fun of Gingers.

Fortes fantasy team is Optimus Prime! :D

fischbowl
08-15-2009, 12:45 PM
You all are going ******* down tonight! Yeah! Talking **** before a preseason game!

JK all, however Dusty is sleeping at my house tonight. Can't wait no longa

regoob2
08-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Cutler looked like ****.

fischbowl
08-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Y'all got sexed tonight. That is all

Gay Ork Wang
08-16-2009, 05:23 AM
With only Hester, everyone would struggle.

A few things:

Lets hope:
-our 2nd string OLine never plays
-Brett Basanez never plays
- Olsen and Forte stay healthy.

A few guys that did good: i think Steltz did pretty fine, so did Afalaya. Alex Brown looked okay.

Wavy77
08-17-2009, 01:51 AM
This wasn't a game. It was a day in the lab.

Dvoracek and Anderson need to go. I can't see any of them fitting on the roster.

BeerBaron
08-18-2009, 10:29 AM
So...I feel like our chances in the division actually got better with the Vikes getting Favre. He looked awful at the end of the year with the Jets, and, this next part may sound weird, but I think it might be true.

With Sage or Tarvaris, the Vikings were going to run, lots, with AP. I think with Favre in there, they'll be a bit more compelled to throw it. Like they just said on ESPN, he's not being brought in to hand it off 40 times. Either of the other guys could have done that without being paid what Favre is probably getting and without the possible disruption of team chemistry.

So go Bears! woo

fischbowl
08-18-2009, 10:40 AM
This wasn't a game. It was a day in the lab.

Dvoracek and Anderson need to go. I can't see any of them fitting on the roster.

I'll take them both

pellepelle_10
08-19-2009, 12:57 AM
I think Lovie needs to ask himself why players who get dropped by Chicago end up going to other teams and having better careers than guys who we consider better. WR has consistenly departed players who end up having career seasons. This makes absolutely no sense at all.

My guess is our ability to analyze talent is one of the worst or the coaching staffs we have in place s_cks ba_ls.

Darryl Drake anyone?

Bob Babich anyone?

I really do hope this year comes turns for the best.

Gay Ork Wang
08-19-2009, 04:30 AM
to be fair, we havent had a great QB. Combined with the winds up in Chicago it is just not a place for them to flourish. Look at Berrian when we had Good Rex. It certainly isnt lack of talent analyzation as of not having the setting for them to show their skills

BeerBaron
08-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Other than Berrian, who the Vikings gave more money than he was probably worth, none of the other receivers are anything special. Gage, Wade and Bradley have been average at best starters with their new teams.

Race for the Heisman
08-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Other than Berrian, who the Vikings gave more money than he was probably worth, none of the other receivers are anything special. Gage, Wade and Bradley have been average at best starters with their new teams.

Yes, but they were worse than that with us, and I don't think you can blame that all on wind/quarterback quality. I think what shows the difference best is we moan about these guys while they're on our roster, whereas other fans (on here) seem happy with what they got when these players are slotted into their line-ups (Gage and Bradley, less so Wade). This is not just true for wide receivers, but other positions as well with Chris Harris and Alfonso Boone, who were solid starters with the Panthers and Chiefs, respectively (IIRC).

BeerBaron
08-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Yes, but they were worse than that with us, and I don't think you can blame that all on wind/quarterback quality. I think what shows the difference best is we moan about these guys while they're on our roster, whereas other fans (on here) seem happy with what they got when these players are slotted into their line-ups (Gage and Bradley, less so Wade). This is not just true for wide receivers, but other positions as well with Chris Harris and Alfonso Boone, who were solid starters with the Panthers and Chiefs, respectively (IIRC).

Well, Chris Harris made sense at the time to trade I think. We have, and have had, a glut of decent SS for a while...if only one of them could cover and fix out FS problem too.

sweetness34
08-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Wade and Bradley are better now than when they were with us? Really?

Gage had **** QB's throwing to him, he was always a promising player but no one could get him the ball. I hardly put blame on the coaches for that.

Bradley was injury prone but flashed potential when he was healthy. Again don't see how that is on the Bears.

Wade was inconsistent and fumbled more than Rashan Salaam when he was here and hasn't been **** in Minnesota, what is he now like 4th on the depth chart?

Harris was traded because we had a log jam at SS, he was a good player for us and is a good player for Carolina. And you're really bringing up Alfonso Boone? What's next Ian Scott?

I will agree that I think Drake is overrated as a WR's coach but you put out some pretty bad examples. A lot can be attributed to bad QB Play as well. And Babich may have been a bad DC but he's a pretty damn good LB's coach. We have had one of the strongest LB units in the league the past 5 years and he was the one working with them.

bearfan
08-19-2009, 09:58 PM
I think that its fair to blame the coaches for WRs of ours having better careers in other cities. IMO the coaches dont give the time or have the patience for these guys to develop and the only one who they have let develop and progress into a good reciever was Berrian. Wade is a decent slot guy once he leaves, Gage is a decent #1 for the Titans and Bradley has been decent (but I agree with you on him sweetness, he was too injured for us to keep high hopes on).

More on Gage because I think he is the best example. In the two seasons he has had w/ the titans he has had 1400 yards and 8tds. Not spectacular numbers but considering his QBs I would say its respectable.

To me it seems like we're always drafting Wrs, we have an abundance of young guys who all have potential. My problem with that is that not all of them will get the chance to improve...maybe causing another reciever to go to a different team and have a good run. So yes, I put it on the coaches for not developing the WRs we have that well. When we do we let them walk.

Gay Ork Wang
08-20-2009, 03:41 AM
Gage is a decent #1? Why is everyone saying the TItans WR Corps is crap and everyone says they need better WRs?

sweetness34
08-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Gage is not a #1 WR. He's a #1 WR on a team with crap WR's. He's a solid target who has put up some nice numbers with the QB's that have thrown to him but there is no way in hell you can call him a legit #1 WR.

bearsfan_51
08-20-2009, 04:01 PM
People need to relax. If we're talking about firing people because of Justin Gage I think we've overreacting.

bearfan
08-21-2009, 08:06 AM
Gage is not a #1 WR. He's a #1 WR on a team with crap WR's. He's a solid target who has put up some nice numbers with the QB's that have thrown to him but there is no way in hell you can call him a legit #1 WR.

Did I call him a legit number one? Im only saying that he can play in the role and while he doesnt have "legit #1" ability or numbers he has filled in that role for his team and has been decent.

And 51, Im not talking about firing coaches if thats what you're getting from me. I think they need to be a bit more patient, thats all.

Gay Ork Wang
08-22-2009, 07:49 PM
i think i jizzed in my pants a couple of times already

bearsfan_51
08-22-2009, 09:27 PM
This Cutler guy suks. Let bring back Sexy Rexy.

dabears10
08-23-2009, 12:40 PM
I am most psyched for the O-line and their play. That Forte TD run was just so, so great.

BeerBaron
08-24-2009, 10:32 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/24/four-years-four-season-ending-injuries-for-dvoracek/

Ohh Dusty.....

princefielder28
08-24-2009, 12:32 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/24/four-years-four-season-ending-injuries-for-dvoracek/

Ohh Dusty.....

That's too bad for him but fortunately for the Bears they're used to this from him.

Gay Ork Wang
08-24-2009, 01:10 PM
well good bye Dusty, we never thought he would make a difference this year so thats unfortunate but not a big blow

MidwayMonster31
08-24-2009, 02:39 PM
That sucks for Dusty. At least we have our share of depth at the tackles. This means that Gilbert will have to do more this year. We also need Harrison to be able to start.

regoob2
08-24-2009, 06:26 PM
That sucks for Dusty. At least we have our share of depth at the tackles. This means that Gilbert will have to do more this year. We also need Harrison to be able to start.
Our depth at NT is ****. I loved Dusty too.

bearsfan_51
08-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Anthony Adams will start over Harrison for now. Harrison needs to prove he's a viable and consistant player against the run. Great talent but the motor has to be there.

I don't really see it making a big difference for Gilbert either way. I don't think he's big enough to do much at NT except on obvious passing downs.

That said, I never expected Dusty to make the team so this is no difference to me. The unfortunate thing for the Bears is now they have to pay him for the full year. Good for Dusty though, might be the last NFL paycheck he ever sees.

awfullyquiet
08-25-2009, 07:28 AM
anyone surprised about the marvin harrison to the bears rumors?

surprised not as in we need a wideout. but surprised that... well. it hasn't happened yet?

fyi. good for dusty. he gets his pension now iirc.

sweetness34
08-25-2009, 02:02 PM
anyone surprised about the marvin harrison to the bears rumors?

What rumors? The one where Dungy was talking about how Lovie should sign him or is there some smoke out there that we are making a move?

bearsfan_51
08-25-2009, 03:19 PM
If the legal issues are still there I'm not interested.

D-Unit
08-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Anthony Adams will start over Harrison for now. Harrison needs to prove he's a viable and consistant player against the run. Great talent but the motor has to be there.

I don't really see it making a big difference for Gilbert either way. I don't think he's big enough to do much at NT except on obvious passing downs.

That said, I never expected Dusty to make the team so this is no difference to me. The unfortunate thing for the Bears is now they have to pay him for the full year. Good for Dusty though, might be the last NFL paycheck he ever sees.
Speaking of Gilbert, how has he looked so far? You guys burned me bad on draft day.

dabears10
08-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Speaking of Gilbert, how has he looked so far? You guys burned me bad on draft day.

He looks like an athlete not a football player. He has shown flashes and looks to be good down the road.

sweetness34
08-28-2009, 05:13 PM
He looks like an athlete not a football player. He has shown flashes and looks to be good down the road.

Gilbert + Marinelli = Sexiness in about 2 years. If Jarron is willing to work on his game and listen to Rod, he could be a helluva player for us a couple seasons.

Gay Ork Wang
08-31-2009, 03:47 AM
im impressed how good Jay plays under pressure

bearsfan_51
08-31-2009, 04:43 AM
I really hope we don't cut Adrian Peterson so we can keep another crappy receiver.

Gay Ork Wang
08-31-2009, 04:50 AM
I really hope we don't cut Adrian Peterson so we can keep another crappy receiver.
i rather keep him then michael gaines

SFbear
08-31-2009, 05:28 PM
http://twitter.com/BradBiggs
Bears cut roster to 75: Dvoracek, waived/injured, waived are WR John Broussard, P Richmond McGee and LS JJ Milan

...and there goes Dusty.

BeerBaron
08-31-2009, 07:18 PM

This:

i rather keep him then michael gaines

Or Rashied Davis.....maybe even both.

SFbear
08-31-2009, 10:04 PM
Yay secondary help.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/31/bears-to-sign-rod-hood/

MidwayMonster31
08-31-2009, 10:14 PM
Couldn't hurt.

SFbear
09-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Sports Illustrated picked us to win the NFC. We're ******. =(

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/01/main/index.html?eref=sihpT1

BeerBaron
09-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Sports Illustrated picked us to win the NFC. We're ******. =(

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/01/main/index.html?eref=sihpT1

Nooooooo!!

Now I have to hear about us on TMQ every week....sigh.

iowatreat54
09-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Kevin Jones is done for the season. Dude is seriously made of glass.

Good work jumping for no reason and hurting yourself though, Kevin.

BeerBaron
09-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Kevin Jones is done for the season. Dude is seriously made of glass.

Good work jumping for no reason and hurting yourself though, Kevin.

Pray that Forte keeps rolling. I'm not sure a Wolfe/AP tandem is going to go so well....

BeerBaron
09-05-2009, 04:08 PM
So Brohm and Booty were both cut today. If we keep a 3rd QB, which we have been doing, I'd rather have either of those guys than Basenez. Both still have more potential imo.

dabears10
09-05-2009, 06:12 PM
http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2009/9/5/1017452/bears-make-53

Roster Announced.

awfullyquiet
09-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Pray that Forte keeps rolling. I'm not sure a Wolfe/AP tandem is going to go so well....

AP/Wolfe?

your guess is as good as mine.

GB12
09-05-2009, 08:57 PM
So Brohm and Booty were both cut today. If we keep a 3rd QB, which we have been doing, I'd rather have either of those guys than Basenez. Both still have more potential imo.

I think the Bears should sign a different Packers cut, Ruvell Martin. There Bears having Brohm on their roster makes as much sense as the Packers having Brohm on their roster.

BeerBaron
09-06-2009, 09:15 AM
I think the Bears should sign a different Packers cut, Ruvell Martin. There Bears having Brohm on their roster makes as much sense as the Packers having Brohm on their roster.

He did something at one point in his life to be worthwhile...more than Basenez (who we did cut.)

bigbluedefense
09-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Hows my boy Jaron Gilbert looking? I was a huge fan of his coming out, I wanted the Giants to nab him.

And I think a penetrating 4-3 dline scheme is the perfect fit for him too. Is he meeting expectations?

BeerBaron
09-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Hows my boy Jaron Gilbert looking? I was a huge fan of his coming out, I wanted the Giants to nab him.

And I think a penetrating 4-3 dline scheme is the perfect fit for him too. Is he meeting expectations?

I've heard he's looked more like an athlete than a football player, I think some guys here have even said that.

But the guy is a freakish athlete, and it's easier to coach someone up on being a football player than it is to get them bigger, faster and stronger.

Give him this year as a developmental year and I think he'll look damn good for the future.

bigbluedefense
09-06-2009, 12:23 PM
I've heard he's looked more like an athlete than a football player, I think some guys here have even said that.

But the guy is a freakish athlete, and it's easier to coach someone up on being a football player than it is to get them bigger, faster and stronger.

Give him this year as a developmental year and I think he'll look damn good for the future.

Has he shown any promise in games, or has he been stood up and dominated thus far?

What weight did he come in at? I was thinking he could be good depth for Tommie Harris this year. And the way Harris has been recently, you could use good depth behind him.

Geo
09-06-2009, 12:24 PM
The guy is a workout warrior, nothing about that is surprising.

bigbluedefense
09-06-2009, 12:27 PM

a workout warrior is a guy who has great triangle numbers, but lacks production at the college level to back it up.

Gilbert was a very productive player in college, and was great during the Senior Bowl (im not sure if it was the Senior Bowl or some other game he played in).

I wouldn't consider him a workout warrior.

Geo
09-06-2009, 12:32 PM
No, no, he was not at the Senior Bowl. He was at the East-West Shrine Game.

He wasn't as good in college (at San Jose State) or as good a player as you think he is, BBD.

bigbluedefense
09-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Youre wrong Geo! Youre wrong </3.

Jarron Gilbert is gonna be the **** <333.

regoob2
09-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Gilbert has looked good. He has beat his guy a few times and forced the QB out of the pocket.

sweetness34
09-06-2009, 02:21 PM

He's also got the best DL coach in the game to develop him. Jarron needs coaching, and Marinelli can certainly do that with the best of them. Give Gilbert a few years under his tutelage and I think you will see a damn good football player.

bigbluedefense
09-06-2009, 02:33 PM
He's also got the best DL coach in the game to develop him. Jarron needs coaching, and Marinelli can certainly do that with the best of them. Give Gilbert a few years under his tutelage and I think you will see a damn good football player.

Mike Wauffle of the Giants is the best dline coach in the business. Marinelli is still damn good though.

Pepper Johnson of the Patriots is also another guy that comes to mind.

DoughBoy
09-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Can any of you tell me anything about Mike Rivera?

regoob2
09-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Can any of you tell me anything about Mike Rivera?
Not an NFL player.

DoughBoy
09-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Well..... dammit. I saw his size and had high hopes. LOL.

regoob2
09-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Well..... dammit. I saw his size and had high hopes. LOL.
Dont. He was one of our better 3rd/4th string guys but thats all he'll ever be.

DoughBoy
09-07-2009, 04:39 PM
1 more question. Did Reshard Langford make the team?

regoob2
09-07-2009, 04:39 PM
1 more question. Did Reshard Langford make the team?
No. dsfghdfg 10

DoughBoy
09-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Dammit to hell....O well good luck this year Vandy U!

awfullyquiet
09-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Mike Wauffle of the Giants is the best dline coach in the business. Marinelli is still damn good though.

Pepper Johnson of the Patriots is also another guy that comes to mind.

*cough* take the homer out to the trash plz.

i wanna see how the giants d-line does with an injury riddled year.

bigbluedefense
09-08-2009, 01:17 PM
*cough* take the homer out to the trash plz.

i wanna see how the giants d-line does with an injury riddled year.

Theres nothing homer in that statement. He is the best.

-He took a raw pass rusher and molded him into Osi Umenyiora.

-He ressurrected Fred Robbins career and molded him from a bumb on the Vikings who was cut into a solid UT. Borderline PBer in 07.

-He took a 3-4 DE in college in Coffield, and molded him into a stoute NT.

-He took the NT we had before him (I even forgot his name), who was a 3rd string NT for the Steelers, got him playing at a productive level, and once he left the Giants, wound up being doodoo again which shows what the program meant to his production with us.

-He took a bumb in Tollefson and turned him into a decent backup.

I can go on and on. The guy has done wonders with our dline. Its not just the DEs, the impressive part is what he's done with our mediocre DTs.

You wanna see what the Giants dline does with an injury riddle year? Check 06, when we lost Osi, Strahan and Tuck. And had to run 3 mediocre DTs and a rookie in Kiwi for the season, and still made the playoffs. Our dline still carried our defense.

So yeah, try again.

drowe
09-09-2009, 09:33 AM
so, which one of you spineless chumps would like to make an avy bet with me for the game on sunday?

Gay Ork Wang
09-09-2009, 09:49 AM
so, which one of you spineless chumps would like to make an avy bet with me for the game on sunday?
i will. ill try to make one already ;)

drowe
09-09-2009, 09:59 AM
i will. ill try to make one already ;)

allright, it's on. i was thinking just the standard packer or bear avitar that can be found in the 'getting started' thread....length of....i dunno. a month...?

Gay Ork Wang
09-09-2009, 10:02 AM
allright, it's on. i was thinking just the standard packer or bear avitar that can be found in the 'getting started' thread....length of....i dunno. a month...?
sure why not

TitleTown088
09-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Can I get down on this action?

awfullyquiet
09-09-2009, 01:40 PM
no.
not allowed.

TitleTown088
09-09-2009, 01:48 PM
no.
not allowed.

Someone scrd?

awfullyquiet
09-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Someone scrd?

no. i'd just prefer to take the money from my packer-y friends.

my friend gave me 10 points... if i win he gives me 100, if he wins i give him 250.

i like that.

dabears10
09-13-2009, 10:48 PM
Lost from two rookies making dumb plays. Cutler put us in a bad position. Well Pittsburgh is next week. I thought our defense played very well for what it's worth.

Gay Ork Wang
09-13-2009, 10:48 PM
The OLine sucked a lot

dabears10
09-13-2009, 10:59 PM
The OLine sucked a lot

Omiyale and Barbre were seeing who could look like they are throwing the game the most.

TitleTown088
09-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Good game fellas( and AQ, Where was Olsen BTW?). Sorry to do it so soon, but I gotta...

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1737867&#post1737867

:)

BeerBaron
09-13-2009, 11:45 PM
So, that ******* sucked.

And just a heads up, living where I do exposes me to a lot of the Steelers, and I'm about 90% sure that we're going to get our asses beat next week too if we play like we did tonight. Too much stupid, bone-headed decisions by just about everyone, including the freaking longsnapper....dammit.

awfullyquiet
09-14-2009, 08:37 AM
It really was pathetic. And no, I don't know where Greg Olsen was... But, if Boneheaded Clark and Cutler on the same page... That'd actually be production out of the TE spot like i was saying... Everything was misthrown or badly ran.

Shame.

Really, I wouldn't be that pessimistic BB about it... I think GB's defense looked better than the Steelers.. No Polamalu... I'd actually venture to bet it's winnable.

dabears10
09-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Vaughn McClure is saying Urlacher out for the Year.

MidwayMonster31
09-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Our prized acquisition looked like ****, our running game was nonexistent, our receivers and tight ends don't know what finishing a route is, our offensive line couldn't block anything, we give up a big play in the secondary and our leader is out for the year.
The good news? That's about it for the bad news.

dabears10
09-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Our prized acquisition looked like ****, our running game was nonexistent, our receivers and tight ends don't know what finishing a route is, our offensive line couldn't block anything, we give up a big play in the secondary and our leader is out for the year.
The good news? That's about it for the bad news.

The good news was even with bad play we still had the lead with under 2 minutes to go.

awfullyquiet
09-14-2009, 11:27 AM
The good news was even with bad play we still had the lead with under 2 minutes to go.

which means our defense actually was good against the vaulted GB offense (sans Vasher)

BeerBaron
09-14-2009, 02:30 PM

I think that says more about the Packers than us....

Word is we're talking to Derrick Brooks. I'd be alright with it....I want to see Briggs inside like the last time we lost Urlacher and have Jamar Williams in at WLB where the coaching staff supposedly loved him when we thought we were losing Briggs.

******* Sports Illustrated.

Mr. Goosemahn
09-14-2009, 03:17 PM
I think GB's defense looked better than the Steelers...

You, sir, are delirious.

sweetness34
09-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Our prized acquisition looked like ****.

I'm not going to give Cutler a free pass on his interceptions but his pass protection last night was garbage. Rarely did he have a chance to set his feet and throw. I doubt many QB's would have had a good performance last night under those circumstances.

I will say though that a sack is better than an INT. I'd rather punt than turn the ball over. Also, Jim Miller said that Cutler wasn't prepared for Green Bay's blitzes and pressure. My prediction on Ron Turner growing a brain isn't looking to good right now if that is the case. Our offense did not look prepared at all last night.

D-Unit
09-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Earl Bennett finishing with a team leading 7 receptions.... More of that to come?

BeerBaron
09-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Earl Bennett finishing with a team leading 7 receptions.... More of that to come?

Kinda looked like it...He was Cutler's favorite safety valve last night. Orton's was Forte, and we (I anyway) assumed Cutler's would be Olsen...but he looked for Bennett seemingly all the time.

Gay Ork Wang
09-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Kinda looked like it...He was Cutler's favorite safety valve last night. Orton's was Forte, and we (I anyway) assumed Cutler's would be Olsen...but he looked for Bennett seemingly all the time.
Olsen was his first read a couple of times, but he was basically double covered all day

BeerBaron
09-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Olsen was his first read a couple of times, but he was basically double covered all day

Probably not the last time we'll see that either.

awfullyquiet
09-15-2009, 07:58 AM
Probably not the last time we'll see that either.

Hey. That's a double edge sword in a great way.

Unfortunately we weren't able to take care of the play-action WHATSOEVER to exploit the possible coverage lapse on olsen

MidwayMonster31
09-15-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm not going to give Cutler a free pass on his interceptions but his pass protection last night was garbage. Rarely did he have a chance to set his feet and throw. I doubt many QB's would have had a good performance last night under those circumstances.

I will say though that a sack is better than an INT. I'd rather punt than turn the ball over. Also, Jim Miller said that Cutler wasn't prepared for Green Bay's blitzes and pressure. My prediction on Ron Turner growing a brain isn't looking to good right now if that is the case. Our offense did not look prepared at all last night.Yeah, the whole team looked way off on offense. The offensive line was getting beat all the time, the whole offense looked like they were getting blindsided by every blitz that the Packers brought. It's hard to complete a pass when you've got guys chasing you on every play, except a few. The receivers and tight ends stopped instead of running to the ball, which cost us a touchdown in the 2nd quarter and could've prevented some of those interceptions.
The things that Cutler will have to improve upon is in seeing the whole field (assuming he has time) and being willing to take the easier throw, or just throw it away. He is an emotional guy, which can be a problem sometimes.
Edit: Until somebody else proves that they can get open consistently, Olsen will get double-teamed all year.

SFbear
09-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Bears waive Trumaine McBride; claim CB DeAngelo Smith

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/09/bears_waive_trumaine_mcbride_c.html#more

I was surprised we didn't upgrade Woodney from the practice squad.

Gay Ork Wang
09-18-2009, 04:47 AM
kinda surprised to see Trumaine waived

also we tried to claim turk mcbride

Gay Ork Wang
09-20-2009, 06:16 PM
nice we won. The Offense looked good, we need a better ground attack though

coordinator0
09-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Thank you Bears!

awfullyquiet
09-20-2009, 06:21 PM
nice we won. The Offense looked good, we need a better ground attack though

Preliminary thought.

Beekman > Omiyale.

MidwayMonster31
09-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Yay for simplifying the offense and for blitzing. Everything looked better for the offense, but we still need to run more. We had trouble at the end against the run, but that should be expected with Urlacher hurt. The defense came through when it had to. It's always good to get a win like this.

bearsfan_51
09-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Huh...I really wanted us to draft Deangelo Smith, so that's cool.

Also, winning is nice.

SFbear
09-20-2009, 06:38 PM
I hope Alex Brown isn't hurt too bad. I don't trust Anderson starting.

sweetness34
09-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Yay for simplifying the offense and for blitzing. Everything looked better for the offense, but we still need to run more. We had trouble at the end against the run, but that should be expected with Urlacher hurt. The defense came through when it had to. It's always good to get a win like this.

It's hard to stay with the run game when you aren't getting any production. The offensive line has been a major disappointment so far in the first two games. Our pass blocking is shaky and we can't open any holes for our guys to run through.

Teams are also stacking the box against us. Hopefully the threat of Jay's passing ability will back them off so we can establish a balanced offense.

Keep in mind too that we played a damn good defense, Polamalu or not that I believe was first in run defense last year.

Gay Ork Wang
09-22-2009, 01:33 PM
I was thinking...could Knox be our Eddie Royal?

BeerBaron
09-22-2009, 03:11 PM

Check da sig. If I were somewhat richer, I'd be getting my hands on a Knox jersey.

SFbear
09-22-2009, 03:30 PM
I picked him up in fantasy on the chance it could happen. Then again Bennet looked like he was going to be Cutler's favorite target after the first game so it could be a new guy getting the attention next week. Maybe things open up for Hester or Olsen against Seattle. If he does win the number 2 spot were really going to be lacking size at WR but the speed should be fun to watch.

Bills2083
09-22-2009, 05:28 PM
The Bills picked up Marcus Freeman today.
I remember reading some negative things about him from Bears fans on here, I just can't remember where I saw them.

So, why didn't he stick with Chicago?

sweetness34
09-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Freeman didn't make enough plays to stay on the roster. He has some talent but I think the staff as well as the fans were fairly disappointed in his performance.

Linebacker is also the deepest position on our team so he was fighting an uphill battle against Hillenmeyer, Roach, and Williams for the reserve spot.

sweetness34
09-23-2009, 11:49 AM

It's hard to say through two games but he certainly looks like he has the potential to be the same type of player.

If Knox can replicate his play from the Green Bay and Pittsburgh games, defenses will have to start game planning against him and hopefully that opens up things for Hester, Bennett, Olsen, and Forte.

Knox has very good hands, he's got some serious speed, he knows how to run routes, and most importantly he's a football player. He knows how to get himself open even if a play breaks down.

I think we do have to realize that it has only been two games and there is a lot of season left. He does look promising though.

MidwayMonster31
09-26-2009, 07:08 PM
It's important that one of the other guys steps up in order to free things for Forte and Olsen. Right now, the plan is to stack the box on Forte and double team Olsen. As the young guys improve, so will the offense.

awfullyquiet
09-26-2009, 09:19 PM
It's important that one of the other guys steps up in order to free things for Forte and Olsen. Right now, the plan is to stack the box on Forte and double team Olsen. As the young guys improve, so will the offense.

see above.

really, hester needs to do things. pretty much if you throw in some play action early, you might walk away having them have to quit stacking the box.

been pretty ineffective with the PA thusfar

dabears10
09-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Receivers played real well. Forte not running the ball great but much better than the previous 2 games. Turner needs to run more. Cutler played well.

Gay Ork Wang
09-27-2009, 07:34 PM
we need better run blocking

sweetness34
09-27-2009, 07:48 PM
we need better run blocking

We need better OL play across the board. The pass blocking so far has been abysmal as well. I can count on one hand how many clean pockets Jay had to throw out of today.

Cutler took some shots from their defense and that is not a very good sign. I was pretty amazed at some of the throws he made today under the circumstances.

Winning is nice but it sure wasn't pretty today.

awfullyquiet
09-28-2009, 11:36 AM
We need better OL play across the board. The pass blocking so far has been abysmal as well. I can count on one hand how many clean pockets Jay had to throw out of today.

Clean Pocket or not, he's at least aware enough of the pocket to still throw out of it, and has enough strength to push it.

I'm under the impression if they start getting the push on the run blocking, the pass blocking will improve by respecting the run, not being able to drop the safety down a few, keep the LB's further from the line and get something better than 3.3 YPC.

I still don't think teams are scared of Cutler and our rag-tag crew of WRs. I'd give it a few more weeks of development before people actually toss some respect.

I also think I'm one of the only who are comfortable where we're developing on wide receivers. Our passing game hasn't been hindered by it as much as anyone thought it would.

Gay Ork Wang
09-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Knox Bennett and Hester form a good receiving corps so far. All are very young and are promising

Hurricanes25
09-29-2009, 03:57 PM
The Bears have just made my day. They signed LB Darrell McClover.

awfullyquiet
09-29-2009, 06:06 PM
The Bears have just made my day. They signed LB Darrell McClover.

Again.

Yeah.

Gay Ork Wang
10-05-2009, 03:12 AM
Someone get Dave Toub a medal

awfullyquiet
10-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Someone get Dave Toub a medal

Really. I don't get the fine nuances of ST's, but I see the results of hard work.

That and give Robbie a medal too for ending the amount of seasons one can say 'he's never hit a 50 yarder before', and give Maynard a medal too for just kicking ass.

BeerBaron
10-05-2009, 02:27 PM
We sure have been pretty quiet here as a fanbase for how well we've been doing....I think we like to complain when we suck or something more, lol

sweetness34
10-05-2009, 03:58 PM
I think we are playing pretty decent football right now but there is certainly room for improvement (OL, run game, and offensive play calling).

Gay Ork Wang
10-05-2009, 05:41 PM
the play calling has been gettin better but only because Bennett has great hands and Cutler is awesome.

Monomach
10-06-2009, 06:28 AM
We sure have been pretty quiet here as a fanbase for how well we've been doing....I think we like to complain when we suck or something more, lol

Ok, ok...

1. Our OL is putrid...even worse than last year. The only thing keeping Cutler alive is his mobility.
2. Ron Turner calls nothing but Trent Dilfer plays for Jay Cutler (probably a result of #1)
3. Matt Forte's ypc is still horrible (again, see #1).
4. Greg Olsen is letting a surprising number of balls bounce off of his hands.
5. Our Defense is super inconsistent.
6. We're obviously a tier beneath the Vikings this year. This isn't going to change unless the O line suddenly "gets it" and Cutler/Forte get the opportunity to do what they are capable of.
7. FREE JOSH BEEKMAN.

See what you made me do?

dabears10
10-06-2009, 09:40 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Scheme-session-the-zone-blitz.html

A pretty good read on the Lovie Smith Zone Blitz.

Gay Ork Wang
10-06-2009, 11:07 AM
btw, we gave up about 100 yards to CJ in the first half, in the second half Tillman was assigend to stick to him all game. Combined with the pass rush we got, he had like only 20 yards receiving.
Bowman is fine, but you cant let him try to cover CJ 1v1. Thats just asking to get killed

Monomach
10-06-2009, 03:32 PM
btw, we gave up about 100 yards to CJ in the first half, in the second half Tillman was assigend to stick to him all game. Combined with the pass rush we got, he had like only 20 yards receiving.
Bowman is fine, but you cant let him try to cover CJ 1v1. Thats just asking to get killed

Megatron was on the sideline for much of the second half being looked at by trainers. As much as I'd like to say it was Tillman, I think it was that.

Gay Ork Wang
10-06-2009, 04:37 PM
he was out only like a couple of plays though, and it was his shoulder, he didnt get that much separation i think that was the problem

awfullyquiet
10-07-2009, 11:07 AM
he was out only like a couple of plays though, and it was his shoulder, he didnt get that much separation i think that was the problem

Wasn't Bowman supposed to be a better Tillman?

QTF.

Gay Ork Wang
10-07-2009, 04:03 PM
what is qtf?

awfullyquiet
10-07-2009, 04:07 PM
what is qtf?

what the ****.

Gay Ork Wang
10-07-2009, 04:30 PM
ah yea, i think he needs more experience. Especially corner and wider receivers are position that benefit a lot from tendencies and experience. He doesnt look half bad, our defense didnt give up a lot of really big plays that resulted in touchdowns beside that GB TD, at least through the air.

sweetness34
10-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Bowman has sick potential, but he's built like a glass house. The past two games he's had to be walked off the field and we all know about his injury in training camp (plus his injury last year).

If he can find a way to steal healthy he'll be a helluva player for us.

MidwayMonster31
10-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Bowman could have been a first round pick if it wasn't for injuries. He was a 5th round pick because of injuries, but the stuff is there. The main problem with our secondary is that we're too injury prone and too young. We are going to take our lumps in the secondary. We have to hope it doesn't cost us too much.

Gay Ork Wang
10-08-2009, 07:43 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/chicago-bears/09000d5d8133a198/NFL-Weekly-Countdown-4-Kickoff-return-touchdowns

haha Knox let the ball go before he crossed the line. A Desean jackson move. Luckily they didnt challenge

VoteLynnSwan
10-08-2009, 03:20 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/chicago-bears/09000d5d8133a198/NFL-Weekly-Countdown-4-Kickoff-return-touchdowns

haha Knox let the ball go before he crossed the line. A Desean jackson move. Luckily they didnt challenge

I noticed that when i was watching it... Really dumb move.

regoob2
10-16-2009, 08:17 PM
We just traded a 2nd rounder for Gaines Adams!

WOW!

princefielder28
10-16-2009, 08:22 PM
We just traded a 2nd rounder for Gaines Adams!

WOW!

With Rod coaching him up I think that could be one hell of a deal for you guys

regoob2
10-16-2009, 08:27 PM
With Rod coaching him up I think that could be one hell of a deal for you guys
Underachieving but on a better DL he can be great for years to come. DE was far and away our biggest need and there wasnt going to be a guy of his caliber where we were picking in round 2. I like it!

Falcon<3
10-16-2009, 08:28 PM
That was a big pickup for you guys, too bad it's too little too late for this Sunday.

Gay Ork Wang
10-16-2009, 08:28 PM
we need to get some OL

SFbear
10-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Not a big fan of the trade. Seems like too much for a player that was on the verge of being benched on a team with almost no talent behind him.

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/5943/

JA must have lost all confidence in his ability to draft on the first day.

BeerBaron
10-16-2009, 09:15 PM
I like it. I don't think it's so much a move for this year, but we can use him situationally and then when Wale hits FA after the season and gets overpaid, we have his replacement ready to go.

Not many 2nd round picks with the potential of Adams...we'll just have to see what we can get out of him.

Gay Ork Wang
10-17-2009, 04:20 AM
it seems like most of the others know jackshit about the bears

SFbear
10-17-2009, 08:09 AM
I guess I'm alone in not liking the trade. It all seems predicated on Marinelli's supposed golden touch.

Although I think the D line is improved, I don't think Marinelli is the miracle worker he is portrayed to be.

The Bears have played against infamously bad pass blocking Olines in the Packers, Steelers, Lions and still have had to blitz DBs and Linebackers in order to get pressure. I can't help but feel that our schedule and Lovie's playcalling/blitzing are making our Dline look better than they actually are. He is a great D-line coach no doubt, but I feel like the Bears are deluding themselves into thinking he can turn crap into gold. He's gotten our already proven vets to play a little bit harder but thats about it.

Why hasn't Mark Anderson turned the corner after an offseason with Marinelli? As far as I can tell he's still getting owned one on one on third and long with only 1 sack through 4 games. Maybe u guys have seen more from him than I have. Isn't the case for Gaines Adams the same as Anderson? Two underachieving undersized pass rush specialists who just need better coaching.

I hope I'm wrong cuz Gaines really did have an immense amount of potential coming out of the draft but he hasn't even had any flashes over the last couple years.

Falcon<3
10-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Oh I think Gaines is going to have a great few years in Chicago, for real. I think him being used as not a full time starter, but a heavy rotation guy is going to improve your already good pass rush. You don't have the best pass rush, but you just jumped up a level from good to very good if not great. The problem I see for the Bears isn't your defense though, it's not as good as it used to be, but you can't expect defense like that every year. I see Gaines giving you something you couldn't have possibly gotten in the 2nd round, in fact I think you guys torched Tampa in the trade, because I anticipate you guys picking in the mid-late part of the rounds anyway. I don't know if you guys are a playoff team right now, just because your division is putting Minnesota in, and Green Bay is a very good team along with you, you 2 will be in a dog fight for a wild card spot imo.

I think the Bears with Cutler don't have to worry AS much about OL he's really good at moving inside and even better moving outside the pocket. He's a great athlete who can really hurt teams with his feet as well as his cannon arm. You do need some run blocking to improve though because even though Forte is an above average NFL back who has the skillset to become one of the top 10 backs in the league for a long time, he's not Barry Sanders (then again who is?) and can do it all without an offensive line. He's more like an Emmitt Smith type, where if the OL gives him a hole, he's not going to miss it, but if they don't give him one, he can't consistently create them alone. Not knocking him, that's just not his style (we have a similar issue in Atlanta with Turner)

The only concern I have with Gaines is that insanely long neck, and it getting popped the wrong way in the trenches and really causing him a serious injury, I've always worried about that, it's prolly totally irrational, but the guy is as close to a giraffe as humans come.

D-Unit
10-17-2009, 11:52 AM
How has Jarron Gilbert been coming along? I wanted him badly in the draft.

bearsfan_51
10-17-2009, 11:55 AM
I don't think he's even been active.

bigbluedefense
10-17-2009, 11:56 AM
How has Jarron Gilbert been coming along? I wanted him badly in the draft.

i asked this question before, as you know i had a mancrush on the guy too.

supposedly he's more athlete than football player right now, but has potential of growing into a player with some development.

BeerBaron
10-17-2009, 12:24 PM
I think Gilbert will be our next Idonije, who I think leaves as a FA pretty soon. (If not this season, then next.)

Both are big DE/UT tweeners so if/when Gilbert gets his football legs under him, he'll take over that role.