PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Chicago Bears General Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

MidwayMonster31
01-24-2010, 03:46 PM
It sure is. It's like their playing lets see how fast we can ruin Jay Cutler.At this rate, they're going to win before 2012.
With free agency the way it is this year and our draft picks, I have a hard time seeing us win more than 4 games next year. Hopefully I'm wrong.

BeerBaron
01-24-2010, 06:06 PM
At this rate, they're going to win before 2012.
With free agency the way it is this year and our draft picks, I have a hard time seeing us win more than 4 games next year. Hopefully I'm wrong.

We somehow won 7 this year. Without Cutler though, we would have been as bad as the Lions. No doubt in my mind.....

regoob2
01-24-2010, 06:37 PM
We somehow won 7 this year. Without Cutler though, we would have been as bad as the Lions. No doubt in my mind.....
It comes down to would you trade Maclin and Sam Bradford for Cutler. I still would.

BeerBaron
01-24-2010, 07:49 PM
It comes down to would you trade Maclin and Sam Bradford for Cutler. I still would.

I don't really like Bradford.....and you have to throw in Knox too in the discussion. I think he can give us what we'd get from Maclin.

And I like to pretend that we would have taken Oher had we kept last year's first rounder.

And I also don't think Bradford will be there where we would have picked in the first. He and Clausen are going to go in the top 10 I feel, and we would have the 10th pick if we would have kept it.

regoob2
01-24-2010, 08:01 PM
I don't really like Bradford.....and you have to throw in Knox too in the discussion. I think he can give us what we'd get from Maclin.

And I like to pretend that we would have taken Oher had we kept last year's first rounder.

And I also don't think Bradford will be there where we would have picked in the first. He and Clausen are going to go in the top 10 I feel, and we would have the 10th pick if we would have kept it.
I highly doubt we would have picked Oher. We just signed Pace and Shaffer. In hindsight he would have been the perfect pick but I doubt it would have happened. I would have picked Everette Brown who I was/am very high on.

Monomach
01-24-2010, 10:36 PM
The way I look at it, is the only reason I would like what we have to call "compensation" is because the trade itself seems voided. Not because he died, but because he had a pre-existing medical condition, and as we all know, you can not trade an injured player.

He passed the Bears' physical. You can't place blame on anyone but the Bears after that.

The Bears declared him healthy. End of story.

Monomach
01-24-2010, 10:36 PM

I have no idea why you would want Sam Bradford.

He might as well have "bust" tattooed on his forehead.

Hurricane Ditka
01-26-2010, 09:42 AM
This just keeps getting better and better.

Mr. X
01-26-2010, 02:05 PM
We lost an OC candidate to the Raiders? Ahahaha.

So what options do we have now:

A) re-hire Turner
B) hire some lower level offensive staff member and hope that they can do something (though this seems to be a really bad idea, along with the reports of Cutler not being someone who works well with those he doesn't respect)
C) Admit defeat and give Cowher whatever he wants in the hopes that he can make something out of the very little we have going in the Draft? This would probably mean that Lovie would be gone and Angelo not far behind.

Monomach
01-26-2010, 03:46 PM
We lost an OC candidate to the Raiders? Ahahaha.

So what options do we have now:

A) re-hire Turner
B) hire some lower level offensive staff member and hope that they can do something (though this seems to be a really bad idea, along with the reports of Cutler not being someone who works well with those he doesn't respect)
C) Admit defeat and give Cowher whatever he wants in the hopes that he can make something out of the very little we have going in the Draft? This would probably mean that Lovie would be gone and Angelo not far behind.

I don't think C is an option at this point.

I'd rehire Turner just to limit the number of schemes Cutler has pounded into his head. I'd rather not have him learn a new one this year just to learn yet another new one a year later.

Unfortunately (can't believe I just said that), I don't think Turner would come back.

Prediction: either Martz or Tice are named OC within a week after the Super Bowl.

BeerBaron
01-26-2010, 04:09 PM
C may not be so far out of the realm of possibility.....it's the coaches job to hire and supervise the coordinators, no?

It's doubtful but it's not so far out there as an idea I don't think.

Mr. X
01-26-2010, 04:09 PM
I don't expect us to get Cowher, so that option was a very small one that would probably be the best solution for right now... but not long term.

I'm trying to remain optimistic that we are using this time to evaluate a potential replacement GM who will hire the right position coaches for us to have success from 2011 and on. Though, this also is probably a pipe dream considering who runs things right now.

A guy I talk to has been throwing around the idea of us getting Joe Lombardi, whom I don't know much about as a coach. Though that would mean Lombardi would have to become our OC as I doubt he'd leave the Saints while maintaining the same position for the Bears.

Hurricane Ditka
01-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Maybe Jerry and Lovie planned on hiring assistant coaches who went to the Super Bowl, no matter what teams made it there, just for the sake of saying they hired coaches from the Super Bowl.

SFbear
01-26-2010, 04:27 PM
Maybe Jerry and Lovie planned on hiring assistant coaches who went to the Super Bowl, no matter what teams made it there, just for the sake of saying they hired coaches from the Super Bowl.

It wouldn't surprise me if we were targeting someone from the Colts defensive staff for DC seeing as they are the premier Tampa 2 team in the league and they have added some wrinkles this year to keep the scheme relevant. They've also been very disciplined and solid with their tackling this year in the playoffs.

Hurricane Ditka
01-26-2010, 04:31 PM
If we could pry both Alan Williams and Clyde Christensen away we'd be in pretty good shape,

Mr. X
01-29-2010, 03:14 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/2018995,mike-martz-chicago-bears-012910.article

Martz is interviewing today for the OC job.

BeerBaron
01-29-2010, 03:50 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/2018995,mike-martz-chicago-bears-012910.article

Martz is interviewing today for the OC job.

There are a whole lot of reasons that I think this is a dumb move...

Hurricane Ditka
01-29-2010, 04:51 PM
If he was their guy they should have done this 3 weeks ago.

Monomach
01-29-2010, 04:58 PM
I hope Caleb Hanie is named starter. In fact, I hope they just give Cutler the year off and never make him learn the new playbook.

We are so ******.

BeerBaron
01-29-2010, 05:12 PM
I hope Caleb Hanie is named starter. In fact, I hope they just give Cutler the year off and never make him learn the new playbook.

We are so ******.

I sort of feel the same way. We have one of Martz' former bosses on the defensive side in Marinelli and I don't think he would give Martz a glowing review...Lovie used to work for Martz so I could see some authority issues there.

Martz' last two stops were utter disasters. He was asking o-lines just as bad as ours to hold for 5 and 7 step drops and he got the QBs beat up....

His playbook is supposedly an ungodly tome that takes several seasons to fully master.

He talked **** on Jay Cutler during the season: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/15/why-do-lovies-buddies-keep-piling-on-cutler/

This is setting up for complete and total disaster. I can fully understand why no one wants the job. You succeed right away with a questionable group of players or you get fired right away next year with the rest of the staff and front office.

I'm not in favor of bringing back Ron Turner, but at this point, I'd rather bring back Pep Hamilton or something...keep the same playbook, just try to call based on Cutler's strengths. His former position coach would be good for that I think. Let Tice work the rest of the offense, like the o-line and TEs.

That would be the best case scenario anymore in my mind.

sweetness34
01-30-2010, 03:46 PM
There are a whole lot of reasons that I think this is a dumb move...

Edit...post will be up in a few minutes.

sweetness34
01-30-2010, 03:52 PM
I sort of feel the same way. We have one of Martz' former bosses on the defensive side in Marinelli and I don't think he would give Martz a glowing review...Lovie used to work for Martz so I could see some authority issues there.

Martz' last two stops were utter disasters. He was asking o-lines just as bad as ours to hold for 5 and 7 step drops and he got the QBs beat up....

His playbook is supposedly an ungodly tome that takes several seasons to fully master.

He talked **** on Jay Cutler during the season: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/15/why-do-lovies-buddies-keep-piling-on-cutler/

This is setting up for complete and total disaster. I can fully understand why no one wants the job. You succeed right away with a questionable group of players or you get fired right away next year with the rest of the staff and front office.

I'm not in favor of bringing back Ron Turner, but at this point, I'd rather bring back Pep Hamilton or something...keep the same playbook, just try to call based on Cutler's strengths. His former position coach would be good for that I think. Let Tice work the rest of the offense, like the o-line and TEs.

That would be the best case scenario anymore in my mind.

Next year is a wash. We are a .500 team at best IMO with Lovie running the show on defense and no OL. I understand your point about not having the OL to pull off his offense and your point about the size of his playbook. But I also believe that even though Martz talked **** about Cutler and his immaturity earlier in the year, he really wants to work with him.

Martz said, "Cutler is the best QB I have ever graded," a few weeks ago (I'll find the link). Martz is the type of coach that will get into Cutler's face and correct his mistakes and I think Jay will listen.

Does Martz have some negatives? Sure he does, but I feel that he's the best option right now. Martz has never had a QB with Jay's talent before and if somehow we can solidify an average OL this might work. We certainly have some interesting weapons on offense for Martz to use. Olsen, Forte, DA, Hester, Bennett and Davis have talent.

I say what the hell and take a shot with Martz. It's not like we're going anywhere next year. We're a .500 club that maybe pushes for a playoff spot if the defense can become somewhat consistent.

sweetness34
01-30-2010, 03:57 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/01/martz-wants-bears-offensive-coordinator-post.html

"Cutler has more talent than anybody I've ever seen," Martz said. "When he came out I gave him the best grade of any quarterback I've ever graded. But I don't know him. Until you sit down and work with a guy, you don't really know him."

regoob2
01-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Would Cutler respect Martz? Would Cutler respect anyone who isnt Shannahan? I hope so.... :(

sweetness34
01-30-2010, 07:39 PM
According to the Chicago Suntimes Martz traveled to Tennessee to meet with Cutler. I don't know if this was before or after his interview with the Bears though.

regoob2
01-30-2010, 08:39 PM
According to the Chicago Suntimes Martz traveled to Tennessee to meet with Cutler. I don't know if this was before or after his interview with the Bears though.
I believe after. Wasnt Cutler going to be present for the OC interviews?

BeerBaron
01-31-2010, 02:36 AM
I believe after. Wasnt Cutler going to be present for the OC interviews?

He was supposedly going to have some say in the matter....idk.

sweetness34
01-31-2010, 12:04 PM
He was supposedly going to have some say in the matter....idk.

I'm perfectly fine with them involving Jay in these interviews. If the OC and Cutler aren't on the same page, we're back to square one with a Ron Turner situation.

I think Jay should have some input on the hiring but he should not be the one who approves or disapproves of the hiring either.

We have a lot invested in Jay and I think at least keeping him in the loop and communicating is a good thing.

I also believe Martz has the ability to do wonders for Jay as an individual. Our offense still might suck next year but Jay may become a better player under his wing.

BeerBaron
01-31-2010, 12:07 PM
Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with letting Cutler be part of the search. He totally should be.

I just wasnt in a good state to be posting things at 3am last night...

bearsfan_51
01-31-2010, 01:20 PM
Mike Martz! Clap clap clap!!

Monomach
01-31-2010, 04:19 PM

Speaking of the clap, we can add that to the list of things that would be better for the Bears than Mike Martz. :(

regoob2
01-31-2010, 04:38 PM
Speaking of the clap, we can add that to the list of things that would be better for the Bears than Mike Martz. :(
Thanks for adding Reputation to this user. May you be lucky enough to receive the same Reputation back in turn. :D

Hurricane Ditka
02-01-2010, 10:04 AM

Could be a recipe for success or disaster, but it's sure to be entertaining. Hopefully with someone who knows offense in the braintrust Martz will lobby for the missing pieces we'll need to run his offense effectively. Which is a pass blocking right tackle and a true #1 WR

cvv84
02-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Mike Martz hired as Bears OC (https://twitter.com/BradBiggs)

Hurricane Ditka
02-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Let's here the spin. I wonder who he'll bring in as Qb coach.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Pretty goofy "search." I like Martz though.

Based off of his history, we'll either win the Super Bowl, or have a Top 5 pick next year. I cant not like those options.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-01-2010, 03:43 PM
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Good or bad.

Off the top of my head, other than Calvin Johnson, I cant think of a WR that played for Martz that wasnt taller than 6'1. Theyve all been shorter, quicker, faster guys. We have a roster full of those (plus DA). Forte is obviously a great pass catcher like Faulk was. We wont need a FB, we dont have one :/ And a great QB-check.

detknowitall
02-01-2010, 03:55 PM
WOW Rod Marinelli, and Mike Martz. You guys hiring Millen too?

Seriously though your passing game is about to go through the roof. And your running game is into the ground.

Monomach
02-01-2010, 03:58 PM
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Good or bad.

Off the top of my head, other than Calvin Johnson, I cant think of a WR that played for Martz that wasnt taller than 6'1. Theyve all been shorter, quicker, faster guys. We have a roster full of those (plus DA). Forte is obviously a great pass catcher like Faulk was. We wont need a FB, we dont have one :/ And a great QB-check.

The only receivers he had when he had a successful offense were very precise route runners. They had to be because a lot of the time Warner had to chuck it downfield long before they were anywhere near the spot. Otherwise, he'd have been hit even more.

We don't have a single receiver that I'd call a great route runner.

Anyway, say goodbye to Greg Olsen. Unless he's just converted into a giant wideout.

When Martz gets Cutler killed on his 60th sack of the season, we can draft Jake Locker next year. Yay?

BeerBaron
02-01-2010, 04:51 PM
When Martz gets Cutler killed on his 60th sack of the season, we can draft Jake Locker next year. Yay?

This. It just seems like Martz refuses to adjust his scheme to reflect the players he has to work with. In his successful years in St. Louis, he had a great o-line and an all-world LT in Pace. We...and the previous places he worked...don't have that.

I expect a lot of sacks of Cutler, and mistakes based off of that pressure.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-01-2010, 06:17 PM
I am an unashamed fan. I expect greatness.

regoob2
02-01-2010, 07:52 PM
I know Isaac Bruce wanted to be a WR coach for the Rams. Maybe he'll be willing to coach here with Martz. Id be all for him.

Gay Ork Wang
02-02-2010, 05:51 AM
Lets sign Kitna and go 0-16

TitleTown088
02-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Yeah, Martz and co better get that Oline fixed up if they want Cutler to do well in his scheme.

lod01
02-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Well, looks like I need to start scouting a backup TE for my fantasy team. Martz is so stupid he doesn't have the skill to use Vernon Davis properly. Greg Olsen's career is in jeopardy. Pretty sad when you are out OC'ed by Jimmy Raye. The good thing is that the odds favor a house cleaning after this coming year's failure and Olsen will just have one year in the toilet.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Mike Debord hired as TE Coach. He looks as boring as that sentence reads too.

Gay Ork Wang
02-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Well, looks like I need to start scouting a backup TE for my fantasy team. Martz is so stupid he doesn't have the skill to use Vernon Davis properly. Greg Olsen's career is in jeopardy. Pretty sad when you are out OC'ed by Jimmy Raye. The good thing is that the odds favor a house cleaning after this coming year's failure and Olsen will just have one year in the toilet.
It took the samurai to get some life into Vernon. It really wasnt all Martz's fault

Monomach
02-02-2010, 11:36 PM
It took the samurai to get some life into Vernon. It really wasnt all Martz's fault

I'd say he gets a big heaping helping of it, though. I mean, the guy was thrown at 48 times all year. That's pretty bad.

Monomach
02-04-2010, 05:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSAOGNVfX4M

Mike Martz sez that the Bears have ****** receivers and a bad O line. :D

sweetness34
02-04-2010, 10:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSAOGNVfX4M

Mike Martz sez that the Bears have ****** receivers and a bad O line. :D

I still stand by my opinion that our WR's are not that bad. DA, Knox, Bennett and Hester is a solid young group of guys. Olsen, Davis and Clark (if we re-sign him) are a solid group of TE's and especially with Olsen we can create match-up problems. Forte is solid out of the backfield and can line up at the WR spot. And who knows how he'll try and use Hester.

It's definitely an interesting hire and I really am eager to see what Martz does with our personnel. But first things first, we have to correct our offensive line or Cutler is going to get killed this year.

Jerry Angelo, you're on the clock. We need a home run in the draft and in F/A. Screw skill position guys, we need lineman. Although I wouldn't blame him if a game breaker fell to the 3rd round. :D

sweetness34
02-04-2010, 10:14 AM
I'd say he gets a big heaping helping of it, though. I mean, the guy was thrown at 48 times all year. That's pretty bad.

I really hope we use Kellen Davis more this year so we can split Olsen out-wide more often. Kellen has proven he can make plays when called upon. I don't think he dropped a pass all year and had a couple touchdowns.

Gay Ork Wang
02-04-2010, 10:55 AM
thing is, if your TE is having a bad attitude and drops balls, u wont throw it his way. U guy pretend as if Vernon Davis was the **** before Martz got there. Davis was just as productive the years before as i recall

MidwayMonster31
02-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Antonio Gates, Jason Witten and Tony Gonzalez wouldn't have been productive with Just Turnovers O'Sullivan (Walt's joke, not mine) as the quarterback for the first 8 games that season.
That said, Martz has to put Olsen in good spots to make plays, I don't have very much faith in that happening. I would rather have them play in 2 tight end sets for better protection and production, but that probably won't happen with Martz. One of the positives that I can think of for Martz is that he will work with Cutler and make him a better quarterback, for making reads and decision making. Cutler and the rest of the receivers will have trouble with that playbook though.
Our offensive line needs to play a lot better than last year. I would rather draft interior line with our early picks this year and at least set some kind of foundation there. I just hope Cutler survives the season.

sweetness34
02-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Cutler and the rest of the receivers will have trouble with that playbook though.
Our offensive line needs to play a lot better than last year. I would rather draft interior line with our early picks this year and at least set some kind of foundation there. I just hope Cutler survives the season.

You need to read this article my friend;

http://www.csnchicago.com/02/03/10/Mullin-Receivers-Will-Love-Martz-System/landing.html?blockID=174566&feedID=626

Granted I'm not the biggest fan of Mullin and his journalism but I think he's on point with this. There seemed to be a lot of confusion on routes this year with the receivers and hopefully that is corrected with the numbering system Martz will be employing.

MidwayMonster31
02-05-2010, 01:10 PM
You need to read this article my friend;

http://www.csnchicago.com/02/03/10/Mullin-Receivers-Will-Love-Martz-System/landing.html?blockID=174566&feedID=626

Granted I'm not the biggest fan of Mullin and his journalism but I think he's on point with this. There seemed to be a lot of confusion on routes this year with the receivers and hopefully that is corrected with the numbering system Martz will be employing.I'm glad he's simplifying it for the young guys. This could work out pretty well for them.
The way the Bears handled their receivers with Turner's offense was horrendous. They asked Bennett to learn 3 different positions his rookie season and did the same thing with Iglesias this year. Cutler even said many times that he and the receivers were not on the same page, he was right.

SFbear
02-05-2010, 03:17 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/05/bears-hire-shane-day-to-coach-qbs/

Bears hire Shane Day to coach QBs

Also http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=6534

The Bears on Friday finalized their coaching staff by naming Rod Marinelli defensive coordinator.

Personally I think Marinelli to DC will be an absolute distaster. We'll see I guess.

regoob2
02-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Were such a joke. Nobody wants anything to do with this team and Lovie as a coach. Just firing Lovie would have been so much easier.

BeerBaron
02-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Were such a joke. Nobody wants anything to do with this team and Lovie as a coach. Just firing Lovie would have been so much easier.

Agreed...but there's nothing we can do now but hope for the best.

This makes 3 former Head Coaches on the staff as assistants. Martz, Marinelli and Mike Tice as OL coach. I'm not sure how to feel abotu that....heh

SFbear
02-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Marinelli didn't even want the job a month ago. He thought it would inhibit his ability to work with the Dline, which is the only thing he has ever been successful at coaching. What has changed since then?

After all this time waiting why not wait a couple more days so you can interview the Colt's DB coach who has expressed an interest in the job.

bigbluedefense
02-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Marinelli didn't even want the job a month ago. He thought it would inhibit his ability to work with the Dline, which is the only thing he has ever been successful at coaching. What has changed since then?

After all this time waiting why not wait a couple more days so you can interview the Colt's DB coach who has expressed an interest in the job.

Simple. Money. He'll make more being a DC.

And failing at DC will have no effect on his status as a dline coach. So he can easily cash out as a DC, make more money, and if he fails, just find another dline job somewhere else in no time.

And if he's successful at DC, then he gets to get paid more for a longer time.

It makes sense to take the job, even if he knows he'll fail.

Monomach
02-05-2010, 09:21 PM

We don't really know whether he wanted the job when we heard that before. That may have just been Bears spin. Suppose he wanted it, but they didn't want to give it to him? They wouldn't be candid about that in the press. It's conceivable that they'd just say "Oh, Rod didn't want it."

It could be that he wanted it all along and that they finally gave up and let him have it.

detknowitall
02-06-2010, 10:37 AM

HA HA! Yes soon all will be complete. Jim Colletto will be brought in to run your O-line and the Devious plan that began 2 years ago to move all Detroit coaches to Chicago come to fruition. You guys interested in trading for Ernie Sims and Gosder Cherilus too? You already got Kevin Jones...its only a matter of time...

Admit it you secretly have Millen on as a "advisor" dont you.

Gay Ork Wang
02-06-2010, 05:37 PM
HA HA! Yes soon all will be complete. Jim Colletto will be brought in to run your O-line and the Devious plan that began 2 years ago to move all Detroit coaches to Chicago come to fruition. You guys interested in trading for Ernie Sims and Gosder Cherilus too? You already got Kevin Jones...its only a matter of time...

Admit it you secretly have Millen on as a "advisor" dont you.
it seems like it.

we still draft better than the Lions

detknowitall
02-07-2010, 02:55 PM

Thats not really saying much

Monomach
02-07-2010, 04:06 PM
it seems like it.

Since our Super Bowl drubbing:
Greg Olsen
Chris Williams
Matt Forte
Earl Bennett
Zack Bowman
Johnny Knox
and a bunch of garbage

Lions in that time:
The Almighty Megatron
Kevin Smith
Cliff Avril
Matt Stafford
Brandon Pettigrew
Louis Delmas
DeAndre Levy
and a bunch of garbage

I think mebbe the Lions have us beat there.

BeerBaron
02-07-2010, 04:24 PM

More than half of the guys you listed for the Lions were just from last year...I wouldn't count them just yet.

Monomach
02-10-2010, 04:00 AM
More than half of the guys you listed for the Lions were just from last year...I wouldn't count them just yet.I'd take any of them other than Stafford on our team, though. :(

Monomach
02-10-2010, 05:07 AM
Hoping to see a couple of these guys with our first two picks:

WR
Demaryius Thomas
Eric Decker
Dezmon Briscoe
Danario Alexander
Mike Williams
Riley Cooper

OL
Jon Asamoah
Kyle Calloway
Ciron Black
John Jerry
Jared Veldheer
J.D. Walton

S
Major Wright
Kendrick Lewis
Reshad Jones
Darrell Stuckey
Larry Asante

DE
Brandon Graham
Jerry Hughes
Lindsey Witten

LB
Brandon Spikes (Yeah, I know he won't be there. I saw someone mock him to us in the third. A guy can dream.)

Gay Ork Wang
02-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Since our Super Bowl drubbing:
Greg Olsen
Chris Williams
Matt Forte
Earl Bennett
Zack Bowman
Johnny Knox
and a bunch of garbage

Lions in that time:
The Almighty Megatron
Kevin Smith
Cliff Avril
Matt Stafford
Brandon Pettigrew
Louis Delmas
DeAndre Levy
and a bunch of garbage

we had like 2 first round picks and 2 2nd rounders, they had 4 first rounders alone

SFbear
02-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Here's Ron Jaworski breaking down all of Cutler's picks this year. Not very flattering for Cutler. Hopefully coaching will help his decision making skills.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/-1,jay-cutler-picks-11.photogallery?index=2

brat316
02-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Any chance the Bears go after Holt? Gives Cutler a better WR, and he is already familiar with the Martz system.

BeerBaron
02-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Any chance the Bears go after Holt? Gives Cutler a better WR, and he is already familiar with the Martz system.

If he was so good he wouldn't have been cut by the also WR hungry Jags....I'd rather go with what we have than add another retread or mid-round pick who won't contribute right away.

Brothgar
02-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Can always trade that mid round for Mike Furry just saying...

sweetness34
02-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Here's Ron Jaworski breaking down all of Cutler's picks this year. Not very flattering for Cutler. Hopefully coaching will help his decision making skills.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/-1,jay-cutler-picks-11.photogallery?index=2

It's not very flattering and the numbers don't look very good at all. But when you consider what he had around him (horrid OL, young WR's and no run game), it's hard to blame him for throwing so many. Cutler was really our only weapon on offense this year since we couldn't run the damn ball.

Give Cutler a solid OL, a solid run game and some receivers and I think you'll see what kind of QB he can be.

BeerBaron
02-13-2010, 06:34 PM
It's not very flattering and the numbers don't look very good at all. But when you consider what he had around him (horrid OL, young WR's and no run game), it's hard to blame him for throwing so many. Cutler was really our only weapon on offense this year since we couldn't run the damn ball.

Give Cutler a solid OL, a solid run game and some receivers and I think you'll see what kind of QB he can be.

When people start talking about Cutler as a bust, that is what I usually point out. As bad as he was at times, he was the reason we won the games we did win. The only difference between us and say, the Lions or Rams, was Cutler.

Monomach
02-14-2010, 12:59 AM
I wanted Matt Jones. :(

regoob2
02-14-2010, 09:03 AM
I wanted Matt Jones. :(
As did I. He made to much sense. He should do well in Cincy.

sweetness34
02-15-2010, 11:14 AM
When people start talking about Cutler as a bust, that is what I usually point out. As bad as he was at times, he was the reason we won the games we did win. The only difference between us and say, the Lions or Rams, was Cutler.

Forte was averaging under 3ypc in most of the games this year. Cutler had to throw the ball to a bunch of inexperienced WR's without a good offensive line.

He made some really bad passes and lost us a couple games but he also beat Pittsburgh, Seattle, Minnesota and Detroit. It's not his fault either that the defense decided to **** down their pants against Cincinatti, Baltimore and Arizona, which forced him to make big plays to try and stay in the game.

It was just an all around bad season on both sides of the ball but blaming Cutler for our record is asinine. He had a hand in it but so did the other 53 guys on the roster. It's very hard to produce as a QB when you don't have a run game or an offensive line. Especially with Cutler's gunslinger mentaliity.

When he was on though, some of the throws he made were incredible. I don't see much upside next year as far as our team record goes but the one thing I do hope is that Martz can mold him into a better QB. Jay has all the physical tools (he's probably the most physically gifted QB in the league outside of Russell), but it's the mental part he needs work on and hopefully Martz can help him with that.

BeerBaron
02-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Forte was averaging under 3ypc in most of the games this year. Cutler had to throw the ball to a bunch of inexperienced WR's without a good offensive line.

He made some really bad passes and lost us a couple games but he also beat Pittsburgh, Seattle, Minnesota and Detroit. It's not his fault either that the defense decided to **** down their pants against Cincinatti, Baltimore and Arizona, which forced him to make big plays to try and stay in the game.

It was just an all around bad season on both sides of the ball but blaming Cutler for our record is asinine. He had a hand in it but so did the other 53 guys on the roster. It's very hard to produce as a QB when you don't have a run game or an offensive line. Especially with Cutler's gunslinger mentaliity.

When he was on though, some of the throws he made were incredible. I don't see much upside next year as far as our team record goes but the one thing I do hope is that Martz can mold him into a better QB. Jay has all the physical tools (he's probably the most physically gifted QB in the league outside of Russell), but it's the mental part he needs work on and hopefully Martz can help him with that.

I was agreeing with you...I think. My point was that without Cutler, we would have been lucky to win 3 games. Winning what we did given the circumstances is all thanks to Cutler.

Gay Ork Wang
02-16-2010, 06:13 AM
We fired pro personnel director DePaul

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816686b8&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

sweetness34
02-16-2010, 08:49 AM
I was agreeing with you...I think. My point was that without Cutler, we would have been lucky to win 3 games. Winning what we did given the circumstances is all thanks to Cutler.

I was agreeing with you as well, just thought I'd add on some more of my thoughts. Sorry for the confusion.

SFbear
02-16-2010, 01:53 PM
We fired pro personnel director DePaul

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816686b8&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/16/report-gabriel-bream-could-be-next-to-go-in-chicago/

Greg Gabriel, Tim Bream could be also be on the way out. PFT has also been reporting that were probably going to bring in former Seattle GM Tim Ruskell.

Not sure what to think about the firings. Seems like the timing is poor considering FA is a less than two weeks away. Although Larry Mayer has been hinting that we won't be big players in FA this year anyway.

Monomach
02-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Although Larry Mayer has been hinting that we won't be big players in FA this year anyway.

Well, duh. Everyone knows that the best thing to do when you have twenty holes with no draft picks is to ignore free agency and hope everyone just gets better.

BeerBaron
02-16-2010, 03:22 PM
You'd think that with....pretty much everyone's....job on the line, we would try to be players in free agency to try and scrape together a playoff run.

Hell, even if we didn't go out and get some of the high quality free agents, a few borderline starters along the lines to compete and add depth would be a big plus. I'd honestly like to see us try to bring back Ogunleye and then another DE like Kampman or Vanden Bosch....also try to find just someone to go into the o-line and compete. Chris Williams at LT is the only set spot in my opinion, at least make the other guys compete to actually win their jobs.

SFbear
02-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Well, duh. Everyone knows that the best thing to do when you have twenty holes with no draft picks is to ignore free agency and hope everyone just gets better.

I think its going to be "We're going to coach ourselves out of this mess" part 2 on defense. Probably with similar results unless we really just did miss Urlacher that much. I'd be a big fan of picking up Kampman or Vanden Bosch though.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-16-2010, 10:39 PM
A report out saying how we're "high on OGs Asiata and Louis"...as in the ones already on our team. I never thought we'd go Guard in the 3rd but I guess we might not be taking any at all.

Leave some hope for a juicey 3rd rounder I guess.

BeerBaron
02-16-2010, 10:57 PM
A report out saying how we're "high on OGs Asiata and Louis"...as in the ones already on our team. I never thought we'd go Guard in the 3rd but I guess we might not be taking any at all.

Leave some hope for a juicey 3rd rounder I guess.

"Juicy" as in some mid round WR or FS who probably won't contribute much next year? And then we'll probably pass the next year on a true #1 WR or top FS because we just invested in so and so and blah blah blah...

I hope like hell not but, alas....

Hurricane Ditka
02-16-2010, 11:58 PM
Old trends might not hold up. It sounds like more changes are coming in the front office, with a new scouting department finding players that can contribute right away might be a priority.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Yes, "juicey" like Major Wright or, God willing, Morgan Burnett. Id be happy with a Tackle like Jared Veldheer, too. Great Guards are invaluable and boring as hell.

Monomach
02-17-2010, 03:30 PM
"Juicy" as in some mid round WR or FS who probably won't contribute much next year? And then we'll probably pass the next year on a true #1 WR or top FS because we just invested in so and so and blah blah blah...

I hope like hell not but, alas....

There are going to be some good WRs in the third this year. It's a deep class. Of course, the Bears may refuse to use them, but I think some of them could be really useful as rookie starters if used right.

I'd much rather have a lineman, but I'm sure not gonna cry if we grab someone like Eric Decker...

Gay Ork Wang
02-17-2010, 03:54 PM
idk. I want to see Devin Aromashodu on the field. Also bennet was quite nice and should do well in the slot. Knox and Hester for #3 and #4? We still have iglesias and i dont see us giving up on him without seeing what he can do.
With that said, i just dont see us bringing in another young WR in the draft, especially not with our highest pick. I can see a veteran WR. Not a young one

BeerBaron
02-17-2010, 04:26 PM
There are going to be some good WRs in the third this year. It's a deep class. Of course, the Bears may refuse to use them, but I think some of them could be really useful as rookie starters if used right.

I'd much rather have a lineman, but I'm sure not gonna cry if we grab someone like Eric Decker...

GoW's post right above me lays out my thoughts too. We have a lot of young guys at the position who've all shown flashes of their potential. Martz has already said that he's excited to use Hester and thinks he can be used like the Rams used Az-Hakim out of the slot.

Aromoshadu looked way too good in those last couple of games to not get a shot to start next year. He's probably going to be our top WR headed forward.

Bennett put together a decent year very quietly. I think he probably starts opposite Aromashadu.

Knox will probably be worked into certain packages and will get out there in any 4 WR sets we use, so I like him.

And like GoW said with Iglesias, we're probably not going to give up on him after just one year.

So, unless someone with crazy potential takes a total nose-dive and is somehow there with out pick, I don't see us going that way. Someone like Decker or Shipley doesn't add a whole lot imo.

I'm starting to gather that we may just go BPA, all but regardless of position. Maybe we snag up a talented LB or CB that falls, or add an o-lineman who can compete, or maybe even a RB to compliment/pair with Forte.

I'd love to find someone who can help us out right away, and I'm sure the team would as well, but it's hard to do with a 3rd round pick as your highest. So reallly....I don't know what we'll end up doing. I just don't think a WR is the best use of the pick.

regoob2
02-17-2010, 05:38 PM
DE is still probably our #1 need. Dont sleep on Greg Hardy, he could likely be there.

MidwayMonster31
02-17-2010, 05:38 PM
We already have plenty of young receivers. There really is no benefit to adding another 3rd round guy, unless Dez Bryant gets hurt or something. The Bears mishandled Iglesias the same way that they did with Bennett, hopefully Iglesias contributes next year.
I think safety is realistic in the 3rd round, Darrell Stuckey or Larry Asante should be there. Either one can pair up with Al or Kevin Payne.
I would wait until next year to draft a middle linebacker. The main reason being that, we don't know who the coach is going to be next year and if he wants to play 4-3 or 3-4. There are also plenty of good middle linebackers next year.
Right tackle is realistic in the mid-rounds, if they are out there. I would rather sign a running back this offseason, but I'm expecting a lot of salary slashing this year with no cap.
w00t, 1000.

Monomach
02-18-2010, 12:30 AM
You're all nuts. We have one real receiver and a bunch of guys that should only be used in the slot.

dabears10
02-18-2010, 12:44 AM
You're all nuts. We have one real receiver and a bunch of guys that should only be used in the slot.

Almost all 3rd round receivers will be similar to the 'guys that should only be used in the slot'. So I am fine looking elsewhere.

Monomach
02-18-2010, 01:20 AM
Almost all 3rd round receivers will be similar to the 'guys that should only be used in the slot'. So I am fine looking elsewhere.

This is ridiculously untrue. Slot receivers go from the first round to the seventh. The same is true of real wideouts. A third round receiver who is 6'4" and 220 lbs is probably not going to be a slot receiver...and yet they're there every year.

Gay Ork Wang
02-18-2010, 02:59 AM
the thing is: who are u going to sit?

The Team is not gonna sit Bennett, Hester and Knox for the good year they had.

Monomach
02-18-2010, 03:33 AM

Good year? Most of the year, we had guys quitting on their routes and dropping balls. None of these guys looked like someone Cutler was comfortable with as a go-to guy. The only guy that Cutler showed that with was Aromashodu.

The one that should go is Hester. Three years as a receiver, almost no progress as a route runner. He can still run only one route correctly. Knox already does everything Hester does, but with slightly better hands.

In fact, I'd be trying desperately to trade him for whatever I could get right away. The amount he's going to be paid this year is just stupid: almost 6 million.

I'd definitely drop him off the depth chart for someone like Eric Decker, Demaryius Thomas, Dezmon Briscoe, or Danario Alexander. Cutler's said over and over that he likes big guys. We should get him one (or at least someone who plays like one).

Monomach
02-18-2010, 03:37 AM

Good year? Most of the year, we had guys quitting on their routes and dropping balls. None of these guys looked like someone Cutler was comfortable with as a go-to guy. The only guy that Cutler showed that with was Aromashodu.

The one that should go is Hester. Three years as a receiver, almost no progress as a route runner. He can still run one route correctly. Knox already does everything Hester does, but with better hands.

In fact, I'd be trying desperately to trade him for whatever I could get right away. The amount he's going to be paid this year is just stupid: almost 6 million.

I'd definitely drop him off the depth chart for someone like Eric Decker, Demaryius Thomas, Dezmon Briscoe, or Danario Alexander. Cutler's said over and over that he likes big guys. We should get him one (or at least someone who plays like one). Then we could have Aromashodu at flanker, the other fellow at split end (Decker or Thomas would be a particularly good fit for this), and have the two smaller guys in Bennett and Knox work the middle of the field against linebackers/safeties.

regoob2
02-18-2010, 09:18 PM
You're all nuts. We have one real receiver and a bunch of guys that should only be used in the slot.Who's the real one?

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-18-2010, 10:06 PM
uugghh. We have good young receivers. Why people who've watched this team constantly disrupt player development would want to continue to draft WRs is beyond me. It really is. The only guy Id apreciate taking is Danario Alexander but ONLY in the 7th round.

3rd.Major Wright
4th. Jared Veldheer
5th. Brandon Lang

Would be pimp.

BeerBaron
02-18-2010, 11:29 PM
Our free agents to be per PFT:

Restricted:
DE Mark Anderson
DB Daniel Manning
LB Nick Roach
LB Jamar Williams
DT Dusty Dvoracek

Unrestricted:
DE Adewale Ogunleye
RB Adrian Peterson
LB Pisa Tinoisamoa
LB Darrell McClover

Gay Ork Wang
02-19-2010, 10:23 AM
With 27 touchdown passes and 20 interceptions, Jim Miller had the best ratio over the past 10 years.

this is so incredibly sad.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-20-2010, 05:55 PM
uugghh. We have good young receivers. Why people who've watched this team constantly disrupt player development would want to continue to draft WRs is beyond me. It really is. The only guy Id apreciate taking is Danario Alexander but ONLY in the 7th round.

3rd.Major Wright
4th. Jared Veldheer
5th. Brandon Lang

Would be pimp.

Wow, what a draft! This guy really knows what hes talkin about. Maybe add some guys like Crezdon Butler and Lonyae Miller and we'd be playoff bound.

Gay Ork Wang
02-20-2010, 07:16 PM
it isnt funny

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-21-2010, 04:26 PM
It wasnt really meant to be. And yeah huh.

Hurricane Ditka
02-22-2010, 10:41 AM
If Antrel Rolle gets cut we should be on that **** like a fat kid on cake.

BeerBaron
02-22-2010, 01:35 PM
If Antrel Rolle gets cut we should be on that **** like a fat kid on cake.

I was thinking that too as soon as I heard about it. FS issue solved.

Gay Ork Wang
02-22-2010, 04:50 PM
He is the ball hawk we need.

regoob2
02-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Id overpay for Rolle. He'd be a great fit.

BeerBaron
02-22-2010, 05:51 PM
He is the ball hawk we need.

Id overpay for Rolle. He'd be a great fit.

Agreed and agreed. I'm really hoping that with pretty much everyone's job on the line, we'll be a little more active than usual.

Now, I don't want us to be stupid and spend wildly on ****** stop gap players, but someone like Rolle could be a really good FS for quite a few years, and would definitely sure up what I think has been the biggest hole in our defense for a few seasons now.

Hurricane Ditka
02-22-2010, 08:47 PM
That would free us up to go any number of directions in the draft.

BeerBaron
02-22-2010, 09:38 PM
That would free us up to go any number of directions in the draft.

Well...the odds of us finding an immediate impact guy at any position in the 3rd round are pretty slim. I wasn't counting on it anyway.

I'm really kind of hoping we just go BPA all but regardless of position with the pick. If we find someone who can step in and contribute quickly, great, if not....hopefully he'll be useful to the next staff.

SFbear
02-23-2010, 07:37 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/23/bears-hire-tim-ruskell/

This has been rumored for a while but the more I read about this guy, the more I hate this hire. This is the guy who let Hutchinson go and gave Shaun Alexander a huge deal. He gave a first round pick for Deion Branch and has had some pretty terrible drafts that have left the Seahawks struggling since their Superbowl loss.

Also http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8168c92c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Despite rumors of a frugal FA period for us, were going after Juilius Peppers. Super risky but makes sense for a desperate team like us. Kampman is also mentioned.

BeerBaron
02-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Just read the article and came here to post it up.

I'd much rather go for Kampman, who would likely be considerably cheaper and is known for having a great motor, which Peppers does not...or at least he chooses not to use it much.

Risky risky. I'd almost rather sign two of Kampman, Ogunleye and Vanden Bosch for probably the same money it would take to get Peppers...and then we get two above-average players.

regoob2
02-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Just read the article and came here to post it up.

I'd much rather go for Kampman, who would likely be considerably cheaper and is known for having a great motor, which Peppers does not...or at least he chooses not to use it much.

Risky risky. I'd almost rather sign two of Kampman, Ogunleye and Vanden Bosch for probably the same money it would take to get Peppers...and then we get two above-average players.
If this is true they're only doing it to "prove" to the fan base that they made the effort. We'll likely offer him half what he'll get any where else.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-23-2010, 11:06 PM
LaConfora says hes looking for a Haynsworth deal. I dont see us giving him 40million dollars. Itd be cool, might turn out bad, but will not happen.

Gay Ork Wang
02-24-2010, 03:59 AM
I want Kampman. He could give some insight into the packers defense maybe. at least slightly

Hurricane Ditka
02-24-2010, 09:37 AM
Kampman and Rolle would bring this defense back to form.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Who is everyone looking forward too seeing at the Combine? Veldheer for me.

BeerBaron
02-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Kampman and Rolle would bring this defense back to form.

Agreed. Especially Rolle....we need a true FS so bad.

Who is everyone looking forward too seeing at the Combine? Veldheer for me.

Idk....nobody in particular. I've pretty much set my mind to wanting the BPA, all but regardless of position. This is a mega-deep draft and someone great is sure to fall through the first two and a half rounds. Some awesome RB to pair with Forte, anyone on the o-line, probably anyone on d-line (except maybe another UT,) a linebacker, a DB......

My money out of those positions would be a good RB or LB. Not the biggest positions of need, but they are positions that regularly fall and we could use a little help at either. I really don't think a typical 3rd round DE or FS is going to make an impact next year anyway, so why not go with a guy who might be able to help out sooner. With the entire staff on the hot seat, I hope that's how they're thinking too.

BeerBaron
02-26-2010, 12:54 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/26/bears-could-target-antrel-rolle/

Me like. Rolle plus at least 1 FA DE would really help our defense I feel. And like I've said before, it's not like Rolle is just some stop-gap we overpay and thrust in, he could be a darn good FS for years for us.

Gay Ork Wang
02-26-2010, 02:13 PM
I like it.

regoob2
02-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Rolle and Peppers?

That would be insane!

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Do we have a spot for Dorin Dickerson? I remember liking himat the Senior Bowl but wow 4.4 flat. RB/FB/H-B/TE Dallas Clark clone to me.

regoob2
02-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Do we have a spot for Dorin Dickerson? I remember liking himat the Senior Bowl but wow 4.4 flat. RB/FB/H-B/TE Dallas Clark clone to me.
We can make one. He's got a great build too.

BeerBaron
02-27-2010, 10:54 PM
We can make one. He's got a great build too.

Ran well today, great production in college...

TE is probably our deepest position though, and least important in terms of the way Martz has used TEs in the past.

So I'm not sure...

regoob2
02-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Ran well today, great production in college...

TE is probably our deepest position though, and least important in terms of the way Martz has used TEs in the past.

So I'm not sure...
He'd be a FB/H-back/STer.

bearsfan_51
02-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Yeah, we won't use that in our offense.

BeerBaron
02-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Yeah, we won't use that in our offense.

Yep.

And this just seems ******** to me with Olsen, Clark and Davis already here. TE really isn't a spot where we should waste any more time, money or roster spots.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/28/martz-wants-manumaleuna-in-chicago/

bearsfan_51
02-28-2010, 12:09 PM
It wouldn't shock me to see us cut Clark.

Gay Ork Wang
02-28-2010, 12:32 PM
please trade him

regoob2
02-28-2010, 02:26 PM
please trade him
For a ham sandwich?

BeerBaron
02-28-2010, 05:30 PM
I hate blocking TEs. I'd rather take a guy who can catch and run and just try to teach him to be as good of blocker as you can.

If you're going to put in a blocking TE, I'd just say "**** it" and go jumbo package with an extra tackle. That's practically what Manumalauna is anyway pushing 300 pounds.

regoob2
02-28-2010, 05:59 PM
I hate blocking TEs. I'd rather take a guy who can catch and run and just try to teach him to be as good of blocker as you can.

If you're going to put in a blocking TE, I'd just say "**** it" and go jumbo package with an extra tackle. That's practically what Manumalauna is anyway pushing 300 pounds.
Hopefully that's what Kellen Davis can be.

bearsfan_51
02-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Right. I don't really see the need to sign someone else when we have Davis, but I could see us cutting Clark either way.

Mr. X
03-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Pace is gone.

EDIT: So are Fontel Mines and Tyler Reed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=4957834

regoob2
03-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Pace is gone.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=4957834
No surprise.

If there will be no cap hit for cutting players I wouldnt be upset with cutting Tommie Harris. Best case scenario he's still a shell of his former self. Worst case he could be out of the NFL sooner then later. He could use a fresh start somewhere else and we could invest the money we save to sign Peppers AND Rolle.

bearsfan_51
03-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Tommie actually had a good year if you look at more than just the stat sheet. When healthy he is still a great DT.

regoob2
03-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Tommie actually had a good year if you look at more than just the stat sheet. When healthy he is still a great DT.
Great? No way. Good? Still no way. His job is to blow through his gap and put pressure on the QB consistently. He cant do that anymore.

Mr. X
03-01-2010, 09:32 PM
I think we should remain open to trading anyone (except Cutler) on our roster, if only to get a feel for what the rest of the league has our guys valued at.

And I'd love for Angelo to be aggressive towards getting Benn, but I'm afraid to move up the draft we'd have to trade one of our elite defensemen to do so.

regoob2
03-01-2010, 09:33 PM
I think we should remain open to trading anyone (except Cutler) on our roster, if only to get a feel for what the rest of the league has our guys valued at.

And I'd love for Angelo to be aggressive towards getting Benn, but I'm afraid to move up the draft we'd have to trade one of our elite defensemen to do so.
We're not going to trade Briggs who is our only elite defensive player.

Gay Ork Wang
03-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Olsen apparently wants a trade.

We are ****** forever

bearsfan_51
03-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Briggs wanted a trade at some point too, who cares?

Mr. X
03-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Olsen apparently wants a trade.

We are ****** forever

If we can trade him for a 2nd rounder/early 3rd I'd say it might not be as big of a blow, and instead could help out our very shaky OL.

SFbear
03-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Tenders

* Anderson: second-round pick
* Bullocks: Original tender (3rd)
* Manning: Original tender
* Roach: second-round pick
* Williams: fourth-round pick

I'm surprised Jamar Williams is that low and I could see some team extend him an offer.

LonghornsLegend
03-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Great? No way. Good? Still no way. His job is to blow through his gap and put pressure on the QB consistently. He cant do that anymore.

What the hell happened to him? He was one of the league's best UT's not that long ago it seems like, then he got a few injuries and I haven't noticed him the same. Is it nagging injuries, lack of work ethic, or what? If he's been that bad why not put him on the block and see if you can get someone to overpay for him.

regoob2
03-03-2010, 08:54 PM
What the hell happened to him? He was one of the league's best UT's not that long ago it seems like, then he got a few injuries and I haven't noticed him the same. Is it nagging injuries, lack of work ethic, or what? If he's been that bad why not put him on the block and see if you can get someone to overpay for him.
If a team offered a 7th he'd be traded. No doubt about it. No one will pick up his contract for maybe one hurry a game.

SFbear
03-03-2010, 09:40 PM

Its a combination of injuries and work ethic apparently. He has admitted before that he almost considered retiring after 2005 because he didn't care about playing football anymore. But he came back in 2006 and had a monster year until getting knocked out from a pretty serious hamstring injury. He has flashes here and there but doesn't seem to be the same impact player he once was.

MidwayMonster31
03-03-2010, 09:53 PM
That injury in 2006 was a really serious injury. His hamstring tore off of his pelvis. You don't come back the same player you were after that. He's also had all sorts of knee issues because of it. He's really not the same player he was, and it wouldn't surprise me if he goes by 2011.

Gay Ork Wang
03-04-2010, 02:09 AM
Boldin for a third. ******* DO IT NOW!

Monomach
03-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Boldin for a third. ******* DO IT NOW!

If he goes for a third to anyone that's not us, I'm going to burn Halas Hall down. No joke.

I doubt that rumor, though. Seems like they'd be able to at least get a mid-second at this point.

regoob2
03-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Id still rather have Antonio Bryant and keep our 3rd.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
03-04-2010, 01:23 PM
I think our WRs are fine...

regoob2
03-04-2010, 03:34 PM
I think our WRs are fine...

Just as fine as our OL, DEs and FS.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
03-04-2010, 04:24 PM
No! I cant believe you wou-oh. I see what you did there.

Do we really sign Peppers tonight?

BeerBaron
03-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Just as fine as our OL, DEs and FS.

Thing is, we actually have a lot of talent at the spot, but it's all very young, inexperienced talent.

OL, DE and FS have some ****** players,

regoob2
03-04-2010, 06:19 PM
No! I cant believe you wou-oh. I see what you did there.

Do we really sign Peppers tonight?

I'll be here all night. Don't forget to tip your waitress!

LonghornsLegend
03-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Looks like you guys might have a legit shot at signing Rolle and Peppers, I like the aggressive approach. I'd probably still look at signing a WR or trading for one also. I like the development guys showed but a true #1 guy could make everyone else that much better.

BeerBaron
03-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Looks like you guys might have a legit shot at signing Rolle and Peppers, I like the aggressive approach. I'd probably still look at signing a WR or trading for one also. I like the development guys showed but a true #1 guy could make everyone else that much better.

Yes, I'm loving the very unusual, aggressive approach we're taking this year.

If I could only take one, I'd rather take Rolle than Peppers, since that FS spot has been just as big of a void in our defense as DE has been, and there are a lot fewer possible difference making FS candidates on the market than DE ones. I'd be just as happy signing Kampman or Vanden Bosch, or even bringing back Ogunleye as I would getting Peppers. The first 3 guys would probably come cheaper and with a better FS, it buys a little more time for the pass rushers to get to the QB...even split seconds could make a difference between a TD pass and a sack, fumble, bat-down, hurry, etc.

As for the WR front, I have it a little lower on my list than FS, DE and OL in terms of needs, just because we actually do have some young talent there whereas we have much less at those other 3 spots.

I doubt a draft pick would land us anyone better than we currently have, so unless we can somehow swing a trade (mortgage the future some more?) for Boldin or Marshall, I don't think we look for another WR.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
03-04-2010, 09:36 PM
This is crazy. Its being said that were already in contract negotiations with Rolle.

regoob2
03-04-2010, 09:39 PM
This is crazy. Its being said that were already in contract negotiations with Rolle.
He was cut so its not tampering.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
03-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Yeah, Im sorry, I meant its crazy that were making these bold FA moves. Its a new feeling..I like it.

dabears10
03-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Scott Tweeted that he has heard Peppers to the Redskins.

BeerBaron
03-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Scott Tweeted that he has heard Peppers to the Redskins.

I'm alright with that....focus on Rolle then get Kampman, Vanden Bosch or something.

dabears10
03-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Adam Schefter reports from his twitter:
Bears will be busy Friday - visits from DE Julius Peppers and RB Chester Taylor.

I would love Chester Taylor. I wish that Rolle would be visiting. The Bears would rope me in with faith they can be in the playoffs.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
03-05-2010, 12:00 AM
I like proven DEs and young Safeties. Peppers and Wright ror Jones or maybe Burnett if it shakes out that way would be great.

dabears10
03-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Manumaleuna is now also reportedly visiting. Olsen trade more likely?

BeerBaron
03-05-2010, 12:29 AM

I'd shoot someone if we traded Olsen to bring in some fat **** blocking TE. The entire concept of blocking TEs just pisses me off to begin with and this would just deepen that wound...

regoob2
03-05-2010, 07:55 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/bears-bag-brandon-manumaleuna/

Looks like he's all but signed.

Gay Ork Wang
03-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Looks like 5 years

Hurricane Ditka
03-05-2010, 09:51 AM
I dig it. He's basically a 3rd tackle. He'll definitely improve our pass protection.

Gay Ork Wang
03-05-2010, 11:56 AM
we are not in the race for Rolle anymore

Gay Ork Wang
03-05-2010, 12:59 PM
We signed Chester Taylor, which i like.

Apparently Pepper is next. Not a big fan

Monomach
03-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Rotoworld says we signed Peppers for 6 years. 40 mil over the first three years. Those first three years are pretty reasonable for what we're getting.

I'm sure the contract is worked out in a way where all the guaranteed money is frontloaded so he can be cut when he gets old and worn down.

shady00
03-05-2010, 03:07 PM
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h88/viktorzd/prod.jpg

ha i posted this on 1-17-09

bearfan
03-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Well the signing of Taylor ruins my dream of drafting a guy like Montario Hardesty in the 3rd or 4th.

Hurricane Ditka
03-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Peppers will throw some bills at Gilbert to get number 90.

Hopefully we bring in a safety too, allowing us to pick up some players on the Oline.

SFbear
03-05-2010, 05:55 PM
If we keep making big FA moves like this, Peter King is going to pick us to go to the Superbowl again. =(

I like all the signings today even though I think Peppers probably will not live up to expectations. We desperately needed more talent on the Dline. I wonder if this along with the rumors of us possibly cutting Tommie means that Gilbert will be moving back inside to UT.

FS still seems to be a glaring need and I hope OJ Atogwe is on our radar since the Rams low balled him with a no compensation tender. Then again the Rams are probably just looking to match any offer in order to get market price for him.

k0ng
03-05-2010, 06:11 PM
If we keep making big FA moves like this, Peter King is going to pick us to go to the Superbowl again. =(

I like all the signings today even though I think Peppers probably will not live up to expectations. We desperately needed more talent on the Dline. I wonder if this along with the rumors of us possibly cutting Tommie means that Gilbert will be moving back inside to UT.

FS still seems to be a glaring need and I hope OJ Atogwe is on our radar since the Rams low balled him with a no compensation tender. Then again the Rams are probably just looking to match any offer in order to get market price for him.

I doubt Tommie is going anywhere. His name was mentioned several times in the press conference and I think he has this year to prove himself. As for Otogwe, I really do hope we go after him. After that I still think we need to look at OG, SS, and WR. If we have to trade Greg Olsen for picks to fill those holes, then so be it. I'd rather see Hester traded though.

Gay Ork Wang
03-05-2010, 06:12 PM
isnt Marcus Harrison a lot better at UT?

also i dont really think we need to draft anymore WRs, not with the holes we have.

Right now we have Bennett, Aro, Hester, Knox, Iglesias with Aro Knox, all very very young guys. Aro can somewhat be our #1 guy i hope. I just dont see the use in bringing in another rookie that would prolly just sit around all year again

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
03-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Would you have us sign a FS or draft one? Cuz Id like one from this draft class. Id be thrilled with Burnett, Jones, or Wright.

And if we do sign one, who the hell do we draft? Oline every round?

Hurricane Ditka
03-07-2010, 12:21 AM
I think after the Peppers signing, we become a likely destination for Darren Sharper. He's on a mission to get another ring, and we just brought in premiere pass rusher.

If we don't sign a safety I'd imagine it's cause they think that the improved pass rush will cover the safety play up a little.

They Taylor and Manumalaeuna signings means Martz is gonna get what he wants. I wouldn't be surprising if he hits the tape and hands picks a late round receiver to throw in the fire. Him and Tice should also be looking for some late round lineman.

We have to draft Tony Washington don't we. ACU LT, fits the athletic mold Martz wants from his RT

BeerBaron
03-07-2010, 12:55 AM
I don't think any safety we can draft this year will make an impact this year. I think we hope our pass rush improves and makes the safeties we do trot out look better like HD said.

I've also heard rumors that the Rams may cut Alex Barron. If so, look for us to sign him. He was a hand-picked Martz-ian there as an athletic RT. No guarantee it actually happens though.

regoob2
03-07-2010, 11:45 AM
I still think OJ Atogwe could be looked at. I know its VERY wishful thinking but Lovie said he wants a FS through FA. Sharper would be a great fit as well for a stop gap. We'd still have to draft a FS though which I would be fine with.

Also I wonder if Martz is going to want his massive OL? I hope so.

So far so good with this offseason. We filled some needs and only broke the bank really on Peppers. TE and Chester Taylor werent huge contracts. I assumed Taylor would have made a lot more.

k0ng
03-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Hey, do you guys think it would be possible to trade our 2011 1st rounder for a couple of picks in this years draft? I think it would be a good idea, considering how loaded this draft is.

Gay Ork Wang
03-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Hey, do you guys think it would be possible to trade our 2011 1st rounder for a couple of picks in this years draft? I think it would be a good idea, considering how loaded this draft is.
nope. we cant destroy our future even more.

regoob2
03-08-2010, 08:44 PM
God I hope we dont do that.

Monomach
03-08-2010, 09:49 PM

Then we wouldn't be able to draft Julio Jones!

Hurricane Ditka
03-09-2010, 01:08 AM
Well I'm bored so after our big free agency moves, assuming we're done. Since there probably won't be a safety that we want to pay for. So that leaves our needs going into the draft at S, OL, WR, and DE. Our 2 offensive signings mean that Martz is going to get what he wants, and I think he'll find some guys that will be in our range he likes, and he'll insert them into the line-up right away.

Anyways here it goes:

3rd-Andre Roberts, WR, The Citadel. He doesn't have the size everyone wants in a #1 receiver, but he's been cited as the best route runner in the draft. We need a guy who can run the whole three digit tree. His route running would give him the edge in a Martz system, and he would provide another solid option for Cutler.

4th-Marshall Newhouse, OT, TCU. College LT. They say in the Martz offense you want a RT who can play LT, while Newhouse projects to guard, he could fit as a Martz RT. I think in an open competition he would beat out Garza or Omiyale for one of the guard spots. Williams, Newhouse, Kreutz, Garza, Omiyale, Manumaleuna would be a very formidable line in this offense.

5th-Robert Johnson, FS Utah. Like it or not Lovie thinks with a good pass rush he can insert any safety into his system. And he might be right. Johnson had a nose for the ball in Utah. During Lovie's tenure we have lived and tied by the turnover, so it could never hurt to a natural.

6th-Clifton Geathers, DE, South Carolina. Turn what was a weakness into a strength, add another 6-7 DE and hope he can learn something from him. Or at least cause some match-up problems. Worth a shot

7th-Nate Collins, DT, Virgina, Explosive DT who able to play nose in Al Groh's 3-4 at 290. You can never have too many able bodied defensive lineman.

regoob2
03-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Andre Roberts would be the ultimate head scratcher. Would he even be a lock to make the roster?

Dont think Geathers has the speed to fit our system.

Hurricane Ditka
03-09-2010, 09:59 AM
If Martz like his route running he would. This offense is predicated on throwing to a spot depending the coverage. The receiver has to run crisp and perfect routes, something nobody on our team does right now.

Substitute Danny Batten for Geathers.

Hurricane Ditka
03-09-2010, 10:02 AM
We should let the market die down and sign Antonio Bryant.

That is all

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
03-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Wow, I hope not...

[edit] I was refering to the mock but I dont think Bryant is the answer either. At this moment 3rd round should be Burnett, Wright, Jones, or Jason Fox.

bearsfan_51
03-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Earl Bennett runs good routes.

BeerBaron
03-09-2010, 12:19 PM
I'd really prefer we didn't draft a WR with out 3rd rounder...or 4th for that matter.

Unlike most of our other trouble areas where we have older, shitter players, we have 5 young, inexperienced guys at WR who are all very talented. Adding yet another young, inexperienced guy would just be stupid imo. Hell, we have a 3rd rounder from last year in Iglesias who didn't see the field and between him, Aromashadu, Hester, Knox and Bennett, Martz will have plenty to work with.

Hurricane Ditka
03-09-2010, 01:02 PM
I don't think Martz is going to agree with you on that one. He's said that WR will be pretty an open competition to let the guys define themselves, never hurts to add more talent at the position. I'd prefer we take offensive lineman early and often, but I've been saying that since 2004. They've made it clear they want to give the coaching staff the tools to succeed, Martz being Martz and the only eye for offensive talent in that building is going to want more to work with. I like our young group and since we're committed to WR by committee we might as well have as many talented players at the position as we can.

Gay Ork Wang
03-09-2010, 03:53 PM
I don't think Martz is going to agree with you on that one. He's said that WR will be pretty an open competition to let the guys define themselves, never hurts to add more talent at the position. I'd prefer we take offensive lineman early and often, but I've been saying that since 2004. They've made it clear they want to give the coaching staff the tools to succeed, Martz being Martz and the only eye for offensive talent in that building is going to want more to work with. I like our young group and since we're committed to WR by committee we might as well have as many talented players at the position as we can.
Hell everyone wants more talent. We have no room to add more talent at a position that already has enough talent and with the holes we have quite frankly id be really pissed if we draft a WR in the 3rd.

BeerBaron
03-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Hell everyone wants more talent. We have no room to add more talent at a position that already has enough talent and with the holes we have quite frankly id be really pissed if we draft a WR in the 3rd.

Agreed. We simply don't have the roster space and we have too many other needs to spend our highest pick on another WR.

Bearsfan123
03-09-2010, 07:19 PM
What does everyone feel about Ciron Black OT? As I understand it Martz loves big athletic O-lineman and he seems to fit the bill.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
03-10-2010, 12:56 PM
I dont see Ciron Black playing Tackle in the NFL. A great RG in the 6th round though.

regoob2
03-10-2010, 05:23 PM
I dont see Ciron Black playing Tackle in the NFL. A great RG in the 6th round though.
I dont see him available that late. I think he can play RT. OG is likely a better spot for him though. I like what he brings to the table. Experience and experience against top competition. Size, strength.

BeerBaron
03-10-2010, 05:49 PM
I agree that he could be a RT in certain schemes, maybe like a heavy rushing one.

I don't really like him as a fit for us there though. If he were available in maybe the 5th round though, I might look at him as a RG option if we haven't drafted one

Morton
03-10-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm not a Bears fan, but I have a question:

You guys have Orlando Pace on the roster, one of the greatest LTs to play the game in the past decade. Why exactly does everyone keep saying that the Bears need to improve their O-Line or get a LT?

regoob2
03-10-2010, 07:03 PM

You guys have Orlando Pace on the roster, one of the greatest LTs to play the game in the past decade. Why exactly does everyone keep saying that the Bears need to improve their O-Line or get a LT?
Pace is no longer on the team. He is retiring.

BeerBaron
03-10-2010, 07:17 PM
And he was awful for most of last year. No longer the HoF caliber player he once was.

regoob2
03-10-2010, 07:22 PM
And he was awful for most of last year. No longer the HoF caliber player he once was.No longer an NFL caliber player.

Monomach
03-10-2010, 10:25 PM

He's been cut because he sucks balls.

By this logic, we should just go out and sign Derrick Brooks.

Hurricane Ditka
03-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Rankings are from NFL Draft Scout

Round 3 Pick 75-Jared Velderheer OT, Hillsdale. Rated #76. Pair him with Williams and our bookends are set.

Round 4 Pick 106-Kam Chancellor, S, Virgina. Rated #121. Big physical S with the range to play FS.

Round 5 Pick 137-Jeremy Williams, WR. Tulane. I refuse to accept that we will go into the season with out upgrading our WR corps. Williams impressed at the Senior Bowl, and runs crisp routes. Our 5th Round WR contributed last year. Williams could do the same. In this offense you can never have too many pass catchers.

Round 6 Aprox-170-DANIEL TE’O-NESHEIM DE, Washington. Rated #181. High motor pass rusher who can get after the passer with his hand on the ground or from a LBer spot.

Round 7 Aprox-200- Jeff Byers, C, USC. Rated #250. Take a flier on a guy who can back up all 3 interior line spots. Could develop into a contributor at G or C.

Hit all the major needs. The first 4 picks could contribute right away.

BeerBaron
03-16-2010, 01:25 AM
Kam Chancellor....the same Kam Chancellor who has been talked about being moved to LB Kam Chancellor....and range? RANGE? In the same sentence?

Mmk.

Hurricane Ditka
03-16-2010, 09:51 AM
EAST-WEST SHRINE RISERS: FS Kam Chancellor, Virginia Tech: Physically imposing at 6-3, 232 pounds, Chancellor looks the part of a potential starting free safety. There will be inevitable comparisons to former Hokie safety Aaron Rouse, a third-round pick of the Green Bay Packers and current starter for the Giants. Chancellor was willing to be physical this week and showed the range to close on out routes. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, *************.com

His words not mine.

Gay Ork Wang
03-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Aaron Rouse was released

BeerBaron
03-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Aaron Rouse started for the Giants? Man....they must have been desperate this year.

Hurricane Ditka
03-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Aaron Rouse started for the Giants? Man....they must have been desperate this year.

They did just make Antrel Rolle the highest paid safety ever didn't they? That one kind of answers itself.

BeerBaron
03-16-2010, 03:46 PM
They did just make Antrel Rolle the highest paid safety ever didn't they? That one kind of answers itself.

Yeah...Phillips got hurt and CC Brown was a FA bust and a half. Rolle will help at FS and if Phillips gets healthy, i think they'll be good at SS too.

But Rouse was listed as a SS for them:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/newyorkgiants/depthchart?team=NYG

I'm wondering if this scout guy is mixing up what the safeties do in a conventional defense....230 pound safeties that run 4.6's usually don't get called "rangy" or get projected as a FS. Just odd...

Wavy77
03-16-2010, 03:58 PM
I havenīt seen Chancellor a whole lot, but most places Iīve read he seems to have question marks at FS due to lack of speed, even though some guys think thatīs a good fit for him.

I think weīve experimented enough with players who can play both free and strong safety, and I think itīs time to take someone with solid coverage skills who wonīt be beat deep.

Hurricane Ditka
03-16-2010, 04:20 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/03/bears-bid-farewell-to-fullback-jason-mckie.html

Today is a happy day.

regoob2
03-16-2010, 05:33 PM
I watched the shrine game and several VT games. Kam can not play FS. His stocked plummeted when he moved from rover to FS. Afalava type lack of ball skills with 4.6 speed. At best a SS but more of a OLB/SS tweener.

Rouse ran a faster 40 as well.

BeerBaron
03-16-2010, 08:43 PM
About time McKie got cut....I'm tired of seeing him awkwardly catching passing, getting stuffed on the goal line, and not lead blocking so well.....good riddance.

Hurricane Ditka
03-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Substitute Robert Johnson for Kam Chancellor and that's as solid a Bears draft we could hope for.

BeerBaron
03-17-2010, 02:18 AM
Substitute Robert Johnson for Kam Chancellor and that's as solid a Bears draft we could hope for.

I can't say I know much about the guy but I'd rather we not spend our 4th rounder on Scott's currenty 26th ranked safety.

regoob2
03-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Darrell Stuckey reminds me a LOT of Mike Brown. With him running his 40 in the 4.4s he might not last til the 4th. He could be an option with our 3rd.

Hurricane Ditka
03-17-2010, 02:14 PM
From Zaidman's twitter:

Bears release Nathan Vasher

Today is again a happy day.

dabears10
03-17-2010, 02:17 PM
From Zaidman's twitter:

Bears release Nathan Vasher

Today is again a happy day.

Who is psyched for more 5th round CB's????

Hurricane Ditka
03-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Who is psyched for more 5th round CB's????

I wouldn't mind a third round CB

pellepelle_10
03-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Darrell Stuckey reminds me a LOT of Mike Brown. With him running his 40 in the 4.4s he might not last til the 4th. He could be an option with our 3rd.

I'm hoping for John Jerry and him as our 4th if we're lucky. I would be extremely excited to get these 2 guys in the draft.

MidwayMonster31
03-18-2010, 01:43 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the Colts picked Stuckey at the end of the 3rd round. He could be a starter once Sanders gets hurt. If not, I would love for the Bears to get Stuckey. We might have to pick Stuckey in the 3rd round though.
One scenario I would be okay with is Stuckey in the 3rd round and Mike Johnson from Alabama in the 4th round.

Hurricane Ditka
03-18-2010, 02:10 PM
I'm all for Stuckey in the third and best available o-lineman in the third. I think we're gonna be looking more at tackles than guards though. Zane Beadles, Marshall Newhouse and Johny Jerry would all be good picks.

Although I'm not hopping of the we need another WR train, a guy like Carlton Mitchell from South Florida would be a nice addition.

From NFP

Scouting Report:
Carlton Mitchell: No. 2, WR, 6-4, 212

Mitchell is a big, long-armed wideout with a supreme athletic skill set for his size. He showcases an impressive initial burst off the ball with the straight-line speed to consistently run by corners and stretch the field vertically. He's a powerful route runner who's tough to knock off balance and bring down after the catch. But he isn't the most natural receiver and is still learning how to break down and cleanly get out of his breaks. He has a tendency to round off his routes when changing directions and struggles to gather himself in jump-ball situations. Mitchell isn't a natural plucker and will struggle to adjust and come up with the grab. Still, he possesses an immense upside and looks like he could develop into a legit No. 1 wideout at the next level.

Grade: 6.5

He possesses a different skill set than any of our current recievers and I'm sure Martz and Cutler would find ways to utilize his talents.

regoob2
03-18-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm hoping for John Jerry and him as our 4th if we're lucky. I would be extremely excited to get these 2 guys in the draft.
That's my exact first 2 picks in my mock.

regoob2
03-18-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm all for Stuckey in the third and best available o-lineman in the third. I think we're gonna be looking more at tackles than guards though. Zane Beadles, Marshall Newhouse and Johny Jerry would all be good picks.

Although I'm not hopping of the we need another WR train, a guy like Carlton Mitchell from South Florida would be a nice addition.

From NFP

Scouting Report:

Mitchell is a big, long-armed wideout with a supreme athletic skill set for his size. He showcases an impressive initial burst off the ball with the straight-line speed to consistently run by corners and stretch the field vertically. He's a powerful route runner who's tough to knock off balance and bring down after the catch. But he isn't the most natural receiver and is still learning how to break down and cleanly get out of his breaks. He has a tendency to round off his routes when changing directions and struggles to gather himself in jump-ball situations. Mitchell isn't a natural plucker and will struggle to adjust and come up with the grab. Still, he possesses an immense upside and looks like he could develop into a legit No. 1 wideout at the next level.

He possesses a different skill set than any of our current recievers and I'm sure Martz and Cutler would find ways to utilize his talents.Ive always liked Mitchell but I dont see him being a go to guy. He's very similar to Aromashadu. Good height and speed but he isnt really physical and is far from finished.

Hurricane Ditka
03-18-2010, 11:59 PM
He's a little thicker than Aromashadu, and probably a shade taller. In this offense he wouldn't have to be a go to guy, but Cutler likes receivers with that skillset.

pellepelle_10
03-21-2010, 10:24 PM
That's my exact first 2 picks in my mock.

I'm right behind you on that one regoob2. I've been following these guys for awhile now. I think Stuckey's football speed is much better than his times show. He's tracked down guys much faster than 4.4.

Jerry has done nothing but improve from Senior Bowl on. He's lost weight and shown a good work ethic. I'm a little scared to be honest that he ends up going earlier than many expect. He was once a 4th rounder and now he may not even be a 3rd rounder. Time will tell.

pellepelle_10
03-21-2010, 10:32 PM

From NFP

Scouting Report:

He possesses a different skill set than any of our current recievers and I'm sure Martz and Cutler would find ways to utilize his talents.

I wouldn't mind Mitchell but the WR group isn't great and the quality of O-Lineman/DB's available I'd rather have these positions addressed first. Now if for some crazy reason Demaryius Tomas dropped to the 3rd then I'd hope they would consider it. Other than him I think OG and FS should be key positions to address in the 1st 2 rnds.

Hurricane Ditka
03-21-2010, 10:53 PM
If Demaryius Thomas slipped into the second half on the second the Bears should make a move. Our receiving corp would be nasty. That's why I want the position the addressed, yeah there a good group but if we could add another more physical pla ymaker we could cause defense's problems.

Although I agree, we need to address the offensive line. I like John Jerry as well, he'd be a force on the inside. But I think it'll either be a G/C or a guy who played left tackle. If we address safety before the draft I think we could see back to back picks on the O-Line. JD Walton in the third and Zane Beadles, Sam Young or Marhall Newhouse in the fourth.

If we draft right the talent is there to take some big steps in rebuilding this offensive line.

This Year:

Williams Walton Kreutz Garza Omiyale

Next Year:

Williams Louis Walton Bealdes Omiyale

Hurricane Ditka
03-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Also in our search for better blockers we should add a big athletic HB-type, one who can pass block as well catch the ball a little.

regoob2
03-22-2010, 08:04 AM
Also in our search for better blockers we should add a big athletic HB-type, one who can pass block as well catch the ball a little.
That's Matt Forte.

Hurricane Ditka
03-22-2010, 10:00 AM
That's Matt Forte.

No, it's not. I don't mean half back or tail back.

Monomach
03-23-2010, 12:31 AM
No, it's not. I don't mean half back or tail back.

We already signed an H-back.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-reid/released-by-redskins-eddie-wil.html

BeerBaron
03-23-2010, 12:46 AM
We already signed an H-back.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-reid/released-by-redskins-eddie-wil.html

Most of the nobodies cut by other teams prior to or at the very start of FA who get picked up by another team usually don't make it through camp...and that's if they make it to camp. Teams just like having a few extra bodies for offseason stuff I think.

We may keep him...who knows, hopefully he's better than McKie.

Monomach
03-23-2010, 12:58 AM
Most of the nobodies cut by other teams prior to or at the very start of FA who get picked up by another team usually don't make it through camp...and that's if they make it to camp. Teams just like having a few extra bodies for offseason stuff I think.

We may keep him...who knows, hopefully he's better than McKie.

All H-backs are nobodies who went undrafted, went in the 7th round, or got cut by someone.

They're H-backs...It's even easier to be an H-back than a fullback.

Hurricane Ditka
03-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Well according to Lovie, we drafted ours in the first round of 2007.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
03-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Well according to Lovie, we drafted ours in the first round of 2007.

I lold. Not hard, but lold none the less.

dabears10
03-26-2010, 09:50 AM
The Bears are shopping Alex Brown. I am not sure why, but they are.

regoob2
03-26-2010, 11:15 AM
The Bears are shopping Alex Brown. I am not sure why, but they are.

Link? If true it's because he's not very good. I'd be fine with it.

Hurricane Ditka
03-26-2010, 12:16 PM
If we can get a half decent draft pick for him I'm all for it. Brown's never been a world beater, but he's been solid. Looks like they decided we have too much money at DE. I wonder if this means Peppers wants to play RE.

Hopefully with another mid round pick we can package some of them to hop into the second and get a impact player at S/OL/WR

Gay Ork Wang
03-26-2010, 12:44 PM
this is an idiotic move

Hurricane Ditka
03-26-2010, 01:02 PM
this is an idiotic move

Cold? Cheap? Yes, but I wouldn't call it idiotic just quite yet. Depends on what we get in return. It looks like there trying to free up salary and get some more mid round draft picks. If Brown's departure allows us to get another starter or 2 out of this years draft it's a win. We'd also have more ammunition to move up and have a higher chance of getting an impact player.

BeerBaron
03-26-2010, 01:22 PM
I don't think it would be too bad either. He could be displaced by Peppers, and, for the 80th time, we're trying to make Idonije a full time DE. Anderson and Melton will also hopefully get some time on pass rushing downs and in rotation.

I wouldn't mind it if we get at least a 4th or so out of him.

Hurricane Ditka
03-26-2010, 01:37 PM
That 4th could be used as leverage to jump into the second and snag Nate Allen or a higher tier offensive lineman.