PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Chicago Bears General Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
03-26-2010, 02:11 PM
I love Alex Brown, but you think he is still worth a 4th rounder? Id be shocked so I beleive he'll be released. Then Ill be sad.

Anyone else notice we're getting bigger up front? Gilbert, Peppers, now Idonje a full time DE. Does that mean anything?

MidwayMonster31
03-27-2010, 01:25 AM
I think that Alex Brown for a 4th rounder is realistic. There aren't too many contending 4-3 teams that need a defensive end. I would try and trade him to New Orleans for their 3rd, but it might end up being a 4th.
It will be interesting to see what Melton can do. He showed some flashes in the preseason and hopefully learned some new moves.

BeerBaron
03-27-2010, 01:29 AM
Even if we can get a 5th out of it, it's probably worth it. Otherwise, like has been mentioned already, we might just cut him and get nothing.

Gay Ork Wang
03-27-2010, 04:08 AM
This is just like cutting Thomas Jones for Benson.
I want to see what Peppers can do for our team before i get rid of the most consistent player. He isnt great, but compared to everyone else, he is prolly the 2nd-3rd best player. It wont be good in the locker room. We will get what, a 4th rounder at best? The guy will never contribute as much as Brown does. Idonjie is nice, but i wouldnt put my eggs in his basket. I mean ffs, we havent even seen Peppers play and they already want to get rid everyone. **** its not like he makes some mad money with a huge contract.

Hurricane Ditka
03-28-2010, 12:27 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0328-bears-chicago--20100327,0,5519790.story

Now that's a trade I could get behind. Simms fills that massive hole we've had at LG since Ruben Brown's departure.

BeerBaron
03-28-2010, 02:31 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0328-bears-chicago--20100327,0,5519790.story

Now that's a trade I could get behind. Simms fills that massive hole we've had at LG since Ruben Brown's departure.

I read it on PFT earlier and I liked it too. I hope it actually happens.

Cerni88
03-28-2010, 05:55 AM
I like AB too, but well he cant play LE, atleast not better than Idonije ( so they say). Theres so many scenarios that could happen if we can trade him. No speculation but if we managed two thirds, I would like our options in the draft.

This move might mean we want sharper. I think he is suppose to be visiting teams again soon.

BeerBaron
03-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Well, per PFT, the Seahawks don't want his contract. We're probably just going to cut him I'm afraid...

Hurricane Ditka
03-28-2010, 05:20 PM
I don't we'll release him, they'd just have to agree on a new deal once he's traded for. They could easily extend him for a year or two and turn some of his salary into a signing bonus and make him cheaper in the long run.

Or we could just sign Sims to an offer and move Alex elsewhere. I doubt we'll actually release him. We could sign Sims to an offer sheet, and then on draft day package Alex to move up into the second and grab a S.

pellepelle_10
03-30-2010, 03:20 AM
I don't know if I'll be the only one but the day Alex Brown is cut will be a sad one in Chicago. The guy may not be all world but I think he deserves to stay. The guy is a motivational leader and many of our defensive guys could learn from his dedication to the game. I would think a guy like Marinelli would love to have him around but I guess I'm wrong. *shrugs*

Hurricane Ditka
03-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Where did his motivational leadership get us since we lost the Super Bowl. We asked for a shakeup, Brown is the odd man out. I think they'll get something for him. If the Seahawks won't take him, hopefully we can land an extra fourth so we can get Rob Sims.

bearfan
03-30-2010, 10:42 AM
I think Brown is our most underrated player. He does not put up gaudy numbers, but he is solid and consistent. He generally does a good job pressuring the QB and has been our best run defending DE for a while. I'll not be too happy when he is gone.

Gay Ork Wang
03-30-2010, 01:32 PM
I think Brown is our most underrated player. He does not put up gaudy numbers, but he is solid and consistent. He generally does a good job pressuring the QB and has been our best run defending DE for a while. I'll not be too happy when he is gone.
the same for me

regoob2
03-30-2010, 04:06 PM
I don't know if I'll be the only one but the day Alex Brown is cut will be a sad one in Chicago. The guy may not be all world but I think he deserves to stay. The guy is a motivational leader and many of our defensive guys could learn from his dedication to the game. I would think a guy like Marinelli would love to have him around but I guess I'm wrong. *shrugs*

Nice guys don't win championships. I like him as much as the next player but his below average play is one of the reasons we haven't made the playoffs for 3 straight seasons.

BeerBaron
03-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Nice guys don't win championships. I like him as much as the next player but his below average play is one of the reasons we haven't made the playoffs for 3 straight seasons.

Yeah, as pass happy as the league is becoming anymore, your DE's in a 4-3 absolutely have to be pass rushers first and Brown just isn't. Above average against the run I'd say, but he just doesn't get pressure on the QB like we need.

I'm predicting Peppers and Idonije as the starters with Idonije maybe sliding in and allowing Anderson or Melton to come in on passing downs.

Peppers - Harris/Gilbert - Idonije/Gilbert - Melton/Anderson has the potential to get some heat on opposing QBs if all comes together right...

Huge "if" though.

regoob2
03-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Yeah, as pass happy as the league is becoming anymore, your DE's in a 4-3 absolutely have to be pass rushers first and Brown just isn't. Above average against the run I'd say, but he just doesn't get pressure on the QB like we need.

I'm predicting Peppers and Idonije as the starters with Idonije maybe sliding in and allowing Anderson or Melton to come in on passing downs.

Peppers - Harris/Gilbert - Idonije/Gilbert - Melton/Anderson has the potential to get some heat on opposing QBs if all comes together right...

Huge "if" though.
We didnt have an if before though. We absolutely knew we werent going to get to the QB. I'll take the if.

BeerBaron
03-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Not Bears related, but I just wanted your opinions since you're a group I mostly trust.

I'm the Rams GM in the current forum mock, and I feel like I'm just getting ripped right and left for the moves I'm making.

I traded for McNabb, a 2nd rounder and a mediocre DT (because I could replace him with Suh) is what I gave up. Now, that seems like a lot but when the trade was first agreed to, it was the asking price being reported in the media. (The whole top 42 pick thing...)

Now, I wouldn't have made that trade in real life without McNabb first agreeing to a contract extension first. No way I'd give up that for a one year guy on an otherwise lackluster team. But apparently "MelKiper" and "RichEisen" hate the move, and the whole one year thing was part of the reasoning.......ugh.

And, like I always do when I'm a different team in the forum mock, I go to that team's subforum and ask for some ideas and opinions. Well NGSeiler, who I know is a pretty good poster and knowledgeable on the Rams, wrote me up a big outline of the team with position breakdowns and everything...really nice. And it seems like to him, the cupboards aren't totally bare on either side of the ball. Obviously Stephen Jackson, Jason Smith, Jason Brown, Donnie Avery a bit....good guys. Some other workable guys like Jacob Bell and Alex Barron, Brandon Gibson and Danny Amendola showed promise as young receivers last year....not bad. But they needed a new TE and a running back to compliment Jackson.

So I took Gronkowsi with the first pick of the 3rd round, and Joe McKnight with the first pick of the 4th round (I wanted McCluster but he went waaay earlier than either of those picks...) I thought I did well, apparently not....

I just don't know....anyone have any decent thoughts to make me feel a little better about this?

Hurricane Ditka
03-31-2010, 12:09 AM
I think our defensive line will be able to survive the loss of Brown. Peppers knows he has to continue to play a high level to earn the rest of his guaranteed money, and I think an elite player like Peppers can do more to motivate guys like Tommie Harris than Brown ever could.

I have nothing against Alex Brown, and given our cities sports history I understand the upheaval. As a city we love the willing participant, the guys who go out and try hard and give you as much as you can. But when you pay big money to guy who does every he thing does, better and he does more, the willing participant has to fall by the wayside. Especially when money factors into it. This is all a part of the massive change we all asked for.

This also represents the first small subtle change in defensive philosophy. With Brown out of the picture, Peppers is going to play RE, usually in this defense it's your better all around end, while your best pass rusher on the other side. But Peppers isn't your average all around end, he's an Elite player at the RE position. So with our elite player at RE, we can't sacrifice pass rush at LE. And this is why Brown is out of the picture. Lots of people says DE is more about sacks, but in today's NFL, and in this defense of all defenses it is about getting sacks. Sacks lead to fumbles, constant pressure leads to bad decisions and INTs. The DE we play on the left side has to have that first upfield move that Brown lacks.

Brown's departure also opens the doors for Henry Melton and Jarron Gilbert. Both oozing with speed and athleticism and have a had a year to sit and learn with Rod Marnelli. With Rod as DC i think we'll be using our defensive line personell in as many ways as possible.

I think our starting line will look like this

Indonji Harris Adams Peppers

with Anderson in a situational pass rushing role.

3 and Forever

Anderson Harris Melton Peppers

Rod could get real creative.

Gay Ork Wang
03-31-2010, 04:54 AM
we need to drop ******* Tommie Harris before we drop Alex Brown.

Cerni88
03-31-2010, 04:57 AM
First off. I know **** about the Rams as a team. Mccoy is my #1, so yea i think he should go before Suh. From the hearsay i know is Chris long plays RE and hes not exactly a 8+ sack guy. If they got Mcnabb, with a 4yr+ its a no brainer to me. If they like their o coordinator, he should be able to bring a guy in that he can work with maybe not this year, but if not next then its prly time to get a knew one.

Cerni88
03-31-2010, 05:18 AM
If we release AB here is no doubt we are a worse defense, everyone knws that. But if his release means a signing of say sharper well i cant argue with it.

Gilbert and Melton are not serious thoughts to me. I'm not putting any weight on players that have shown nothing.

as for Anderson I believe he is versatile enough to come in on passing downs at LE and he could line up at RE, (we have done it before, even had him as a starter, till AB showed him how you have to be an all around DE)

Idonije - well hes awesome. Mr. Versatility. I think he can fit O-gun role easily. I mean ****, no one was saying o gun was quick off the edge. I see him being as productive as ogun at LE.

All in all, If peppers and idonije are the ends. I believe it helps our blitz package in a huge way. They both have a natural ability to block the ball. Maybe eliminate some of those quick slants. both have great size to play the run.

And Tommie Harris makes this D run, show some respect.

Hurricane Ditka
03-31-2010, 09:51 AM
we need to drop ******* Tommie Harris before we drop Alex Brown.

While Harris is due a decent sized bonus week to week his salary is more manageable than Browns.

Gay Ork Wang
03-31-2010, 06:41 PM
But Alex brown at least does a damn. I know he isnt a top pass rusher or a top DE. But he is above average. Idonjie and MA might get the production Brown has. MIGHT. Why would we risk that? I dont want to put my whole eggs into the basket of Peppers before he played.

Like i said, this just reminds me of the Thomas Jones situation

bearsfan_51
03-31-2010, 06:57 PM
Alex Brown is average. I've been saying it for years. I don't think Idonjie would be much better, but he wouldn't be worse.

The idea that Brown is harder to replace than Tommie is silly. Let's leave emotions out of this.

bearsfan_51
03-31-2010, 06:58 PM
Also, I can't say I really miss Thomas Jones.

Gay Ork Wang
03-31-2010, 07:08 PM
i have no emotions whatsoever for the guy. Also Tommie harris has done crap since 06.

What i meant with Thomas Jones is showing way too much commitment to a guy who has shown jackshit.

bearsfan_51
03-31-2010, 07:12 PM
Ok, so you could care less that Alex Brown is cut but also want us to cut Tommie as well?

Gay Ork Wang
03-31-2010, 07:15 PM
no, im saying that cutting Alex Brown does us no good. Id rather cut Tommie than Alex Brown.

bearsfan_51
03-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Cutting Brown gives us the opportunity to let other guys play. You don't keep an older, mediocre, expensive guy around when you have younger guys who will be just as productive and have a higher upside.

Gay Ork Wang
03-31-2010, 07:45 PM
Cutting Brown gives us the opportunity to let other guys play. You don't keep an older, mediocre, expensive guy around when you have younger guys who will be just as productive and have a higher upside.
u mean Mark Anderson who has done nothing to prove he can hold the starting position they gave him 2 years ago and Idonijie who is one year younger?

bearsfan_51
03-31-2010, 08:07 PM
Alex Brown has done nothing to prove he can hold the starting spot either. He's always been a weak spot on the team, regardless of what the media might think.

There's a reason they've been trying to replace him for years.

regoob2
03-31-2010, 08:26 PM
Dont Forget Alex Brown' best years are behind him. Scary thought......

Gay Ork Wang
03-31-2010, 08:28 PM
im not saying he is good. But he is consistant. saying he is the weak spot in this defense is a joke.

Hurricane Ditka
03-31-2010, 09:08 PM
Anderson, Izzy, Gilbert and Melton all have a higher ceiling than Alex Brown. We have to let them play. Redistribute the funds we were gonna pay Alex into a veteran safety or an offensive lineman.

Gay Ork Wang
03-31-2010, 09:10 PM
id rather ease them in then just to drop players and put too much faith into 2 guys that havent even played on defense, 1 horrible starting DE and a serviceable rotational guy

Hurricane Ditka
03-31-2010, 09:19 PM
We're not replacing Brown with Anderson and Indojie. We're replacing Brown with Peppers. The LE must first and foremost be a pass rusher. And that's not Alex Brown.

bearsfan_51
03-31-2010, 09:23 PM
I said he's been a weak spot, not the weak spot.

Gay Ork Wang
03-31-2010, 09:51 PM
I said he's been a weak spot, not the weak spot.
well the whole defense is a weak spot

also:

We're not replacing Brown with Anderson and Indojie. We're replacing Brown with Peppers. The LE must first and foremost be a pass rusher. And that's not Alex Brown.
Why not replace the worse player? Id rather have Brown and Peppers than Anderson and Peppers

regoob2
04-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Our defense was good when we could hide Brown. When he was the 8th/9th best player on the D.

Mr. X
04-05-2010, 06:52 PM
So what are the odds that we sign Bulger, now that the Rams released him?

Gay Ork Wang
04-05-2010, 07:00 PM
i hope we dont

BeerBaron
04-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Actually, I have to think the odds are pretty good of use signing him.

I just read a PFT probably about week ago saying that we'd like to have a veteran backup who has some experience in a Martz offense to help Cutler and Hanie pick it up.

Bulger is probably better than some of the other options who might become available like O'Sullivan, Shaun Hill or Drew Stanton.

wicket
04-10-2010, 05:20 AM
how do you guys think brown projects as a RE (well the end opposed to the RT) as he comes from the other side if im not mistaking. He will not be the primary pass rusher for the saints so id be happy if he'd get like 6-7 sacks as long as he plays solid against the run.
I havent watched enough of brown in recent seasons to know this exactly, i think he'll be a decent stopgap who fits well into the system of Williams and I think he is an upgrade over Charles Grant but how decent do you guys think he'll be. Should the saints still draft a DE somewhere in the first two days?

Gay Ork Wang
04-10-2010, 05:22 AM
i dont think he is an upgrade. but he will play solid maybe above average. He will get those 6-7 Sacks maybe even 8-9 and will be a solid runstopper.

wicket
04-10-2010, 06:15 AM
i dont think he is an upgrade. but he will play solid maybe above average. He will get those 6-7 Sacks maybe even 8-9 and will be a solid runstopper.

that is a big upgrade over charles grant iyam more sacks + actual solid performance against the run = big upgrade :)

bearsfan_51
04-10-2010, 11:25 AM
The Saints definitely should not alter their draft strategy because they picked up Alex Brown. He's average, at best, and he's 31 years old.

BeerBaron
04-10-2010, 12:19 PM
The Saints definitely should not alter their draft strategy because they picked up Alex Brown. He's average, at best, and he's 31 years old.

This is something that I pointed out to some Saints fans in the random draft thread.

Like I said there, it might make it less dire of a need, but they should still be looking for a DE to develop in the first 3 rounds or so. Brown will probably be an ok, short-term starter but that's all he'll really be.

BeerBaron
04-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Schedule leak shows us hosting the Lions to kick off the season. Hopefully we crush them and it starts us on a roll.....hopefully....

MidwayMonster31
04-20-2010, 06:18 PM
November/ December are not going to be fun.

regoob2
04-24-2010, 11:33 AM
I think we have to make a run at Alan Faneca. LG is a huge need especially with Omiyale moving to RT.

Hurricane Ditka
04-24-2010, 01:15 PM
We need to sign Faneca

Mr. X
04-24-2010, 01:27 PM
So, how likely is it that we finish 4th in the division with Suh being a Lion and still no movement to improve the OL?

BeerBaron
04-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Oh, woe is us! Doomsday because we're wasting 5th and 6th round picks!!!!

Like I said in the draft thread, point out the guys available with these picks who would have pushed us into the playoffs.

Mr. X
04-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Where has anyone been talking about the playoffs? I'll be damn glad if we can finish above .500 and keep Culter under 30 sacks.

JA should have came into the draft looking to move up to the 2nd round to grab an interior lineman that we desperately need, instead of drafting a fringe starting safety and a DE who is coming off a knee injury, after we already have a boatload of DEs who are still sitting around doing very little.

I would have been ecstatic for us to make the move to grab Asamoah, but it seems like moving UP in a draft that you don't have many picks in is somehow a very bad thing.

SFbear
04-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Hmmm...How does this look?

Williams LeFevour Kreutz Garza Omiyale

Gay Ork Wang
04-24-2010, 05:10 PM
ZOMG OUR 6th ROUNDERS SUCKZZZZ

bearfan
04-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Oh, woe is us! Doomsday because we're wasting 5th and 6th round picks!!!!

Like I said in the draft thread, point out the guys available with these picks who would have pushed us into the playoffs.

Not this year, I don't expect a 5th/6th/7th rounder to start but I expect them to get a chance to develop into a contributing part of the team and I felt like Jerry Angelo ignored one of the biggest holes that could use some of those developing guys (OL) especially with some talented players on the board.

Gay Ork Wang
04-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Not this year, I don't expect a 5th/6th/7th rounder to start but I expect them to get a chance to develop into a contributing part of the team and I felt like Jerry Angelo ignored one of the biggest holes that could use some of those developing guys (OL) especially with some talented players on the board.
id rather to let the team go BPA in their minds in the 5-7th than cry because we didnt fill a need. If he had a 1st and 2nd and we didnt draft a Lineman, then id be pretty angry. but we did address needs with the 3rd and 4th pick, everything else can be disregarded

BeerBaron
04-24-2010, 05:40 PM
id rather to let the team go BPA in their minds in the 5-7th than cry because we didnt fill a need. If he had a 1st and 2nd and we didnt draft a Lineman, then id be pretty angry. but we did address needs with the 3rd and 4th pick, everything else can be disregarded

Agreed on all fronts. I've always been an advocate of taking BPA from the 5th round on anyway. Your very unlikely to find anyone who can help you fill an immediate need after the 4th round, and it can even be tricky to do in the 3rd and 4th sometimes anyway.

This year was a little bit of an exception in that we didn't have a lot of picks, and I felt like we did address the FS spot with Wright, time will tell if he can be the guy or not. And Wooten was good value where he was....talk about a guy who, even if he can't help this year, will help the team somehow in the future regardless of the coaching staff.

All this said, and even with the knocks I've been hearing on him, I hope like hell we go after Faneca. Chris Williams is set at LT, and Kreutz will hopefully hold up another year at C, but Faneca is better than anyone else we have on the line imo.

MidwayMonster31
04-24-2010, 06:14 PM
I think we can catch lightning in a bottle with Webb. The luster was really lost on this draft after Adams passed away. Overall, we did okay.

princefielder28
04-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Congrats on adding Dan to your team!

BeerBaron
04-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Congrats on adding Dan to your team!

I was waiting to hear from you, lol. Probably the last place you wanted him to land though having to root against him and all now....

princefielder28
04-24-2010, 06:23 PM
I was waiting to hear from you, lol. Probably the last place you wanted him to land though having to root against him and all now....

only four times a year...twice against the Packers and twice against Brett Favre :)

Gay Ork Wang
04-25-2010, 02:52 AM
Bears UDFA
Juice Williams, QB, Illinois (Tryout)
Greg Mathews, WR, Michigan
Quentin Scott, S, UNI
Freddie Barnes, WR, Bowling Green
Desi Cullen, P, UConn (Tryout)
Mike Mayberry, LB, Indiana
Cornelius Brown, CB, UTEP
Brandon Minor, RB, Michigan
Lawrence Wilson, DE, OSU
Levi Horn, OT, Montana
Antonio Robinson, WR, Nicholls State
Barry Turner, DE, Nebraska
Tim Walter, C, CSU

Hurricane Ditka
04-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Could Webb be the darkhorse left guard? He's tall for a guard but it's not unheard of. If Tice really likes him that much he should at least be in the conversation.

85BearFan
04-26-2010, 12:01 PM
I really liked the draft except for the 5th rounder. Was hoping for Selvish Capers, (who scott had pegged as a 2/3 rndr) thinking with his size had decent OG potential. He did fall to the 7th though...

I'd also like to hear opinions on Quentin Scott. Didn't see him ranked here, but on scout.com was 16th of all safeties (Major - 7th). @ 6'4, 224 4.4 40 - do you see some WR potential if not at FS?

Monomach
04-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Bears UDFA
Juice Williams, QB, Illinois (Tryout)

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Bearsfan123
04-26-2010, 03:59 PM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

My thoughts exactly....Im an Illini fan and he was atrocious....

MidwayMonster31
04-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Chris Harris might be coming back.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/27/chris-harris-says-hes-headed-back-to-the-bears/
I think we gave up on him too quickly. He can at least crack the rotation now.

Hurricane Ditka
04-27-2010, 12:54 PM
I wonder what the terms are. Our safeties now are infinitely better than were Thursday that's for sure. Harris and Wright gives us best safety combination since Harris and Mike Brown.

Hurricane Ditka
04-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Our defense could very well be respectable again.

Idonji/Wootton Harris Adams Peppers using Anderson situationally

Briggs Urlacher Pisa

Bowman Harris Wright Tillman. With Daniel Manning as the primary nickel back.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Id like to go

Idonije/Wootton--Harris--Henderson--Peppers

but what do I know.

ShutDwn
04-27-2010, 03:22 PM
I feel like we swap players all the time...

Ricky Manning Jr.
Moose x2
Chris Harris x2
Julius Peppers
Jamar Williams

I'd be shocked if there was another pair of teams exchanging players that often.

What can you guys tell me about Jamar Williams who you guys are apparently giving us for Harris? He sounds decent, in which case James Anderson, Dan Connor and Williams are going to have a hell of a fight for that third spot.

I'm going to miss Harris a lot, he was huge for our young players on defense and was a leader for sure. Even if he wasn't going to start he is the type of guy I will always want on my team. My guess is Sherrod Martin and Godfrey are both too young and physically talented not to start.

BeerBaron
04-27-2010, 04:04 PM
I remember that when we thought we were losing Briggs, the coach staff was really pimping Jamar as being more than capable taking over the WILL spot.

Briggs stayed, Jamar didn't really fit anywhere else, so he played backup and special teams.

Should be decent for you...never really had extended playing time, so I don't really know for sure.

Also, glad to have Harris back. I hope that he and Wright win the starting jobs.....It doesn't matter what other combination of guys we trot out, they've all sucked. Steltz, Afalava, Payne.....meh. Average backup SSs, should not be starting for us now that we have Wright, who should be the closest thing to a real FS we've had in a while, and Harris should lock down the SS job from day 1.

MURPHMAN
04-27-2010, 04:09 PM

Ricky Manning Jr.
Moose x2
Chris Harris x2
Julius Peppers
Jamar Williams

I'd be shocked if there was another pair of teams exchanging players that often.

Dante Wesley x2

BeerBaron
04-27-2010, 04:12 PM
I'm pretty sure you guys had Basenez before we did too.

Cerni88
04-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Tim Shaw was drafted by Carolina.

I really like the trade. If our Linebackers stay healthy, Williams wasn't going to get much play time.

regoob2
04-27-2010, 05:53 PM

Ricky Manning Jr.
Moose x2
Chris Harris x2
Julius Peppers
Jamar Williams

What can you guys tell me about Jamar Williams who you guys are apparently giving us for Harris? He sounds decent, in which case James Anderson, Dan Connor and Williams are going to have a hell of a fight for that third spot.

I'm going to miss Harris a lot, he was huge for our young players on defense and was a leader for sure. Even if he wasn't going to start he is the type of guy I will always want on my team. My guess is Sherrod Martin and Godfrey are both too young and physically talented not to start.
Williams is a good fit at WLB. Briggs resigning made him expendable.

Williams is strong, physical and a good tackler. Not as athletic as you'd prefer from a WLB but still some what athletic. He was considered a player capable of starting. Seems like a fair trade.

dabears10
04-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Kevin Payne traded to the Rams for an undisclosed 2011 draft pick. from Chicago Bears.com twitter

ChicagoBears.com
Kevin Payne has been traded to the St. Louis Rams. The Bears acquire an undisclosed draft pick in 2011. ChicagoBears.com will have more.

sweetness34
04-28-2010, 05:07 PM
At least we received something for him, although it'll likely be a 6th or 7th round pick.

MidwayMonster31
04-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Payne will help them out as a backup or on special teams. Bringing back Harris meant that one of the safeties had to go. Better Payne than Afalava.

Hurricane Ditka
04-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Per Kffl

Cardinals | Deuce Lutui could be on way out
Comment (0)
Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:30:05 -0400
Arizona Cardinals OG Deuce Lutui could be the odd man out after the signing of OG Alan Faneca, according to Darren Urban, of AZCardinals.com. Faneca will be penciled into the Cardinals' starting lineup. Lutui hasn't signed his tender as a restricted free agent and it is possible the Cardinals could now pull the offer off the table.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=1#ixzz0mSPY7osC

Come on Jerry, one more piece.

Monomach
04-29-2010, 05:25 AM
Payne will help them out as a backup or on special teams. Bringing back Harris meant that one of the safeties had to go. Better Payne than Afalava.

2009 Bears safeties (minimum 25% of team's snaps)
Al Afalava 123.6 QB Rating against
Danieal Manning 91.1 QB rating sgainst
Kevin Payne 58.1 QB rating against

Al Afalava can eat an unwashed ****, get superaids, and burn in hell for eternity. He's truly horrible. He makes Dan Manning look like a pro bowler in coverage.

Unfortunately, the guys in the booth and Lovie Smith constantly fellated him all year, so people think he's good. I wish we'd traded him so that we'd be safe from the possibility of him ever playing again. As for Payne...he was actually good. Typical ****** Bears personnel move. Lovie Smith has a raging hard-on for big hits. That's why we have nothing but guys better suited to be strong safeties on our roster right now.

regoob2
04-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Per Kffl

Come on Jerry, one more piece.
Definitely a better player and younger than Garza. Martz likes his big Olineman.

regoob2
04-29-2010, 08:41 AM
2009 Bears safeties (minimum 25% of team's snaps)
Al Afalava 123.6 QB Rating against
Danieal Manning 91.1 QB rating sgainst
Kevin Payne 58.1 QB rating against

Al Afalava can eat an unwashed ****, get superaids, and burn in hell for eternity. He's truly horrible. He makes Dan Manning look like a pro bowler in coverage.

Unfortunately, the guys in the booth and Lovie Smith constantly fellated him all year, so people think he's good. I wish we'd traded him so that we'd be safe from the possibility of him ever playing again. As for Payne...he was actually good. Typical ****** Bears personnel move. Lovie Smith has a raging hard-on for big hits. That's why we have nothing but guys better suited to be strong safeties on our roster right now.
Afalava has much better upside. Better on STs and can contribute in situational goalline package. Payne' contract is also ending sooner. Neither one will play with Chris Harris here and neither will beat out Wright or Manning for FS.

Hurricane Ditka
04-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Definitely a better player and younger than Garza. Martz likes his big Olineman.

Better than any of the candidates for left guard.

regoob2
04-29-2010, 06:26 PM
Better than any of the candidates for left guard.
or RG. (10)

MidwayMonster31
04-29-2010, 08:07 PM
One thing I hated about Angelo during his time here, is his ignoring of the offensive line through the draft. After 2002, he spent one round 1-3 pick on a lineman, which was Chris Williams. By getting late-round, development lineman, or crappy free agents, our offensive line is a mess. I expect more of the same this year.

BeerBaron
04-29-2010, 08:22 PM
One thing I hated about Angelo during his time here, is his ignoring of the offensive line through the draft. After 2002, he spent one round 1-3 pick on a lineman, which was Chris Williams. By getting late-round, development lineman, or crappy free agents, our offensive line is a mess. I expect more of the same this year.

Or worse. The reason Martz failed out of San Fran and Detroit was because his offense calls for 5 and 7 step drops, and receivers running deeper routes, and they just didn't have the o-line to pass block for that long. A lot of his success with the Rams was an o-line that featured an all time great LT and at least above-average guys on the rest of it.

It'll be interesting to see what happens....Next year is either going to be very good or very bad. There won't be any in between. We'll be picking top 5 or in the playoffs. I hope the latter but I fear the former...

At least we'd have the pick this year and 2011 is a top heavy class...whereas this one was really deep but only hand a couple elite players, next years looks to have a lot of studs at the top but perhaps not the same depth.

BeerBaron
05-10-2010, 09:19 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/10/otogwe-wont-sign-tender-with-rams/

In the unlikely event he actually does hit UFA after June 1, we need to be on him. Fast.

Hurricane Ditka
05-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Jerry doesn't have the funds, if there is anything left in the coffers it's got to spent on a OG. Chester Pitts is still out there.

regoob2
05-12-2010, 07:43 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/10/otogwe-wont-sign-tender-with-rams/

In the unlikely event he actually does hit UFA after June 1, we need to be on him. Fast.
I just couldnt see how that could happen no that we drafted Wright and traded for Harris.

BeerBaron
05-12-2010, 11:28 AM
I just couldnt see how that could happen no that we drafted Wright and traded for Harris.

Drafting Wright shouldn't play into it....he may have been our first pick, but he was still a 3rd rounder, and very few 3rd rounders ever immediately alter a teams plans when something better comes a long.

Plus, JA wants to keep his job. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Monomach
05-12-2010, 09:59 PM

Those guys are both really strong safeties. Atogwe isn't.

Hurricane Ditka
05-13-2010, 03:30 PM
We're not going to sign Atogwe, that just isn't going to happen.

regoob2
05-13-2010, 05:53 PM
We're not going to sign Atogwe, that just isn't going to happen.
^^^^^^^^^^

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
05-23-2010, 12:11 PM
So El Matador Manning at SS...and Chris Harris at FS. My hands shake while typing this. How does the Players Association let this happen? I get that its May and maybe it wont last but WTF. Why screw around like this?

Harris, Steltz, Afalava at SS Wright, Bullocks, Scott at FS

Manning at KR...

Monomach
05-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Doesn't matter. The roster doesn't have a single true free safety. Even Wright is just another guy who should be playing SS. Might as well stick anyone there.

If Angelo had a brain, he'd stop drafting SSs, draft more CBs, and just convert them into safeties until one sticks.

You know...or just draft a real one for once. Lovie has to get some blame, too. He has such a hard-on for hard hitters with no ball/cover skills.

It's hilarious that the best performer at free safety last year is the one they gave away.

BeerBaron
05-24-2010, 08:48 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mulligan/2308124,CST-SPT-mully24.article

The only summation I'm going to give is:

/facepalm/

Don Vito
05-24-2010, 08:50 AM
That would be hilarious, if he gets hit one more time he is going to break. Why would you guys add another QB anyways?

BeerBaron
05-24-2010, 09:20 AM
That would be hilarious, if he gets hit one more time he is going to break. Why would you guys add another QB anyways?

With the win-or-die situation everyone below the owner is in, Martz needs to focus on getting Cutler to learn the offense, and there aren't enough reps to get Hanie up to speed as well.

So word is that Martz wants a veteran backup who already knows his system so he won't need to rob reps from Cutler.

Martz really wants Bulger, but JA and Lovie don't because if Cutler were to struggle, there might be a push for Bulger to start and if Cutler looks like a failure, the might be out of jobs anyway, especially JA.

So enter Trent Green...who is so old and injured that Cutler would have to be on his death bed for Green to get playing time. There wouldn't be any pressure to insert someone like Green if Cutler were to struggle.

Politics, politics, politics.

Don Vito
05-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Not a fun situation

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
05-24-2010, 01:21 PM
I dont laugh at my teams. But that is hilarious, that theyre down to Trent ******* Green. lol Just let it go.

Monomach
05-24-2010, 01:39 PM
This is a lot more entertaining than cleaning house and hiring Shanny would have been.

Not better; just more entertaining.

bearsfan_51
05-24-2010, 04:03 PM
If Cutler gets hurt we're ****** no matter who the backup is. Marc Bulger sucks too.

MidwayMonster31
05-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Marc Bulger, Trent Green. Two broken down veterans who know the offense, but can't run the offense well. If you can get them into training camp, that would work, but this isn't baseball, where you can give spring training invites to other guys.
BF51 is right, if Cutler gets hurt, we are ******, and with the line and scheme the way they are, it is possible. The more things I hear, the less this season excites me.

BeerBaron
05-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Well if Cutler gets hurt nothing matters anyway.

The reason we're keeping Bulger out is the fear that if Cutler struggles, and Bulger is able to do sometihng, JA and/or Lovie will be gone anyway since Cutler failed.

The coaches and such can't just accept that if Cutler goes down, they lose no matter what.....can't blame them for wanting a better backup option.

bearsfan_51
05-24-2010, 07:28 PM
The reason we're keeping Bulger out is the fear that if Cutler struggles, and Bulger is able to do sometihng, JA and/or Lovie will be gone anyway since Cutler failed.
Do you have any sources for this?

BeerBaron
05-24-2010, 07:41 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-04-09/marc-bulger-could-bring-headaches-chicago-bears

That ones a bit older, but I know I've read it more recently as well.

ow that the Bears have followed up a disappointing season by increasing expectations via a misguided free-agency splurge, a slow start from the team generally and Cutler specifically would spark widespread clamoring for Bulger to get a shot to turn things around. Within the walls of Halas Hall, Martz likewise would be cajoling good friend Lovie Smith to make the switch to Bulger, in the hopes of saving the season — and everyone's jobs.

At that point, things would get very interesting. General manager Jerry Angelo made the decision to trade for Cutler. Benching Cutler less than two seasons into the experiment that cost two first-round draft picks (and a long-term contract) would constitute an admission by Angelo that he screwed up, and that would put Angelo squarely in line for termination if Bulger doesn't take the team to the postseason.

For that reason, look for Angelo to resist stubbornly any flirtation with Bulger

bearsfan_51
05-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Haha....Mike Florio. That man has made a career out of making **** up.

I was hoping it would at least be a real journalist speculating. Waste of time.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
05-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Jay Cutler wont get hurt. Caleb Hanie (whom I really like) and Bret freakin Basanez were the back ups last year. I understand its a different offense but he got beat up last season.

Blind faith. Its being a fan.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Is there much to know about Brian Iwuh?

J-Mike88
05-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Hey Bears Den,

I was arguing with a Viking fan friend today over the phone about many things (I hate the Vikings as much as anyone does), but one thing I wondered is how you guys feel about Devin Hester and if you all have had any discussions about this.

As a Packer fan, I am much much more worried about Hester is a return wizard than I am as a WR. He might have potential to be a reliable WR, but I know for a fact he's a game-changing superstar return stud.

I do like the prospects of Devin A at WR. He opened my eyes late last year, starting when he burnt Charles Woodson a few times. Who knows what with Martz, but that guy has talent. I also liked what I saw of Johnny Knox last year, and I still expect Earl Bennett to get better. If I was the Bears coach, I'd want to keep Hester as the stud return specialist that scares the hell out of opposing teams, and would focus my WRs on those other guys.

What are y'alls thoughts on this? You can PM me, or make it a discussion here. I'm curious what you guys think on Devin Hester, an All-Pro kick returner.

Monomach
05-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Hey Bears Den,

I was arguing with a Viking fan friend today over the phone about many things (I hate the Vikings as much as anyone does), but one thing I wondered is how you guys feel about Devin Hester and if you all have had any discussions about this.

As a Packer fan, I am much much more worried about Hester is a return wizard than I am as a WR. He might have potential to be a reliable WR, but I know for a fact he's a game-changing superstar return stud.

I do like the prospects of Devin A at WR. He opened my eyes late last year, starting when he burnt Charles Woodson a few times. Who knows what with Martz, but that guy has talent. I also liked what I saw of Johnny Knox last year, and I still expect Earl Bennett to get better. If I was the Bears coach, I'd want to keep Hester as the stud return specialist that scares the hell out of opposing teams, and would focus my WRs on those other guys.

What are y'alls thoughts on this? You can PM me, or make it a discussion here. I'm curious what you guys think on Devin Hester, an All-Pro kick returner.
Devin Hester is not Devin Hester without Brendan Ayanbedejo. He's nothing scary as a returner now. In fact, Danieal Manning looks a lot better than him. He owes his entire new contract to Ayanbedejo.

As a receiver, he's a one trick pony. If he just sprints down the field, that's ok. As for running actual routes...cutting in the wrong direction happens. Giving up happens. Falling down happens. Casuing interceptions happens.

Anyway, I'm sure someone who's hit the kool-aid (i.e. Mike Martz) will come along shortly and tell you about how Devin Hester is ******* amazing and will make the pro bowl next year.

Is there much to know about Brian Iwuh?Special teams guy. Not going to be playing defense.

Gay Ork Wang
05-25-2010, 12:02 PM
so everyone who disagrees with you is someone is just someone who hits the kool aid?

Hester is definitely not as bad as u make him out to be. He is not amazing. He is prolly a lil above average. But him making mistakes are things i think are totally natural. I mean it was his 3rd year at WR but unlike other WRs he didnt have the same reps and practices the others had in college playing the position. Its not like he was totally lost on the field. Id rather take a look at him and see how he does in this new system with one year more bonding with Cutler then say he is useless.

On Returning: He needs some blockers. He is a different kind of returner than Daniel Manning who lives on relying on 1 or 2 great blocks and just cutting there. Daniel Manning seems much more like a straigh ahead attack while hester likes to run all over the field. He relies alot more on blocking, so without someone like Ayanbadeyo who was amazing at ST, he isnt as good as Manning e.g.

BeerBaron
05-25-2010, 12:08 PM
I like to think of our WR situation much like the Giants situation was before last season. They lose Plax and suddenly everyone viewed it as the greatest weakness on the team.....tons of potential, very little proven.

What happened? Their young guys showed flashes of what they could do in the league while Steve Smith became a legit weapon. Their run game and defense, supposedly their best units going into last season, faltered however, leading to a down year.

If the 2010 Bears crash and burn, I guarantee that it isn't going to be the fault of our WRs. Honestly, I think it might be our most talented unit. Speed in Hester and Knox, sure-handed route running from Bennett....DA....little bit of it all, probably closest to a #1 we have.

I expected Bears franchise passing records to fall this season. Whether or not the rest of the team does much of anything will determine the fate of the team though.

BeerBaron
06-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Man....it's been a month since anyone posted anything in here...

So....what do you think our starting o-line is going to look like?

Bearsfan123
06-25-2010, 08:26 PM
It's going to look bad.....

MidwayMonster31
06-25-2010, 08:33 PM
I'm hoping the young guys (Lance Louis, Asiata, Webb) really step up this year, but I'm not counting on any miracles.

BeerBaron
06-25-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm hoping the young guys (Lance Louis, Asiata, Webb) really step up this year, but I'm not counting on any miracles.

Let's see....Martz offense, Lovie and JA needing vets like Omiyele to look good, and none of those young guys very high draft picks....

Leads me to believe we won't be seeing much of them, though it may help the next coaching staff out if they got some playing time.

J-Mike88
07-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Don't know if there's anyone in this forum here, but thought you guys should see this.

eSdMqnmj5T8

Bearsfan123
07-14-2010, 08:20 PM
What is our predictions for the year? I think 9-7 is very real.

BeerBaron
07-14-2010, 08:26 PM
What is our predictions for the year? I think 9-7 is very real.

7-9 is my projection. If we get a few things to go right, I could see it maybe swing up by 2 more games.

If thing go especially wrong though......watch out.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
07-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Superbowl.

A lot has happened this offseason so Ill recap: Turner out, Martz in; Tice fixing the Oline up; Urlacher back, McKie gone; Peppers, Chris Harris, Manumaleuna, and Chester Taylor all in; Pisa and Forte all healed up.

Any combination of those would be good but, all together is awesome. Knox with a full offseason, Kruetz without bone spurs ( well, it cant not help) I mean cmon, 7-9?

BeerBaron
07-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Superbowl.

A lot has happened this offseason so Ill recap: Turner out, Martz in; Tice fixing the Oline up; Urlacher back, McKie gone; Peppers, Chris Harris, Manumaleuna, and Chester Taylor all in; Pisa and Forte all healed up.

Any combination of those would be good but, all together is awesome. Knox with a full offseason, Kruetz without bone spurs ( well, it cant not help) I mean cmon, 7-9?

If every single one of those things you mentioned works out in the positive, then playoffs and beyond is possble.

Common sense tellls me that every single one of those things happening isn't going to happen.....and it's going to take more than a few to fix this team up.

Our safety situation is still a mess, and our o-line is ****** as all hell. If they stay the achilles heels of both sides of the ball, then it won't matter much what else goes right.

princefielder28
07-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Superbowl.

Add : Dan LeFevour

BeerBaron
07-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Unga for a 7th rounder. I'll take it. Should make for a decent short yardage bruiser to put behind Forte and Taylor.

YAYareaRB
07-15-2010, 04:41 PM
I can't wait to see my boy Harvey in a Chicago jersey. Just another reason to tune into Bears games.

BeerBaron
07-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Anyone else have a problem with the Lions being considered the better team by many over the Bears? I think it's a big joke...

Cutler > Stafford. Cutler threw lots of picks, yes, but he carried us in most of our victories too. Stafford is still a 2nd year player while Cutler is a former pro bowler...

Forte/Taylor > Best/Smith. Best could be a good one....could be. But Forte and Taylor really fit the Martz offense imo and have done more in their careers than Detroit's two. Plus Smith is coming off of a fairly serious injury late in the season.

CJ > Our receivers > the rest of their receivers. Calvin blows everything we have away, yeah, but then I'd argue that we have the next 4 best...who do they have to compete? Burleson? Ha. Bryant Johnson? Northcutt?? Derrick Williams? Pure **** that other teams threw away.

Our o-line > theirs. I mean, there aren't many lines that I like less than ours, but theirs has been just as horrendous in recent years. Still starting Jeff Backus at LT...at least Chris Williams looked decent at the end of the year. And the rest is all a wash...they both suck really.

Our D > their D. The only spot they have us is at S with Delmas. Everywhere else.......blegh. Peppers is better than anything they have, as is Briggs, and Tillman too. Healthy Urlacher is still a better defensive leader than anything they have too.

Don't know if that qualifies as a rant, but /rant.

regoob2
07-19-2010, 07:51 PM
I would say we're slightly better but I cant say that the Lions wont be better then us at the end of the season. We have talent but so do they. They're much better after this offseason.

Gay Ork Wang
07-19-2010, 11:12 PM
i just think everyone expect their moves to work out, but ours to blow up.

DrunkenLament
07-20-2010, 12:36 AM
Anyone else have a problem with the Lions being considered the better team by many over the Bears? I think it's a big joke...

Cutler > Stafford. Cutler threw lots of picks, yes, but he carried us in most of our victories too. Stafford is still a 2nd year player while Cutler is a former pro bowler...

Forte/Taylor > Best/Smith. Best could be a good one....could be. But Forte and Taylor really fit the Martz offense imo and have done more in their careers than Detroit's two. Plus Smith is coming off of a fairly serious injury late in the season.

CJ > Our receivers > the rest of their receivers. Calvin blows everything we have away, yeah, but then I'd argue that we have the next 4 best...who do they have to compete? Burleson? Ha. Bryant Johnson? Northcutt?? Derrick Williams? Pure **** that other teams threw away.

Our o-line > theirs. I mean, there aren't many lines that I like less than ours, but theirs has been just as horrendous in recent years. Still starting Jeff Backus at LT...at least Chris Williams looked decent at the end of the year. And the rest is all a wash...they both suck really.

Our D > their D. The only spot they have us is at S with Delmas. Everywhere else.......blegh. Peppers is better than anything they have, as is Briggs, and Tillman too. Healthy Urlacher is still a better defensive leader than anything they have too.

Don't know if that qualifies as a rant, but /rant.

OH HAI; Bored Lions fan here

QB- While I agree Cutler is the safer bet, it was Cutlers 2nd year in the league that he excelled.

RB - At this point, HUGE advantage to the Lions. If Martz wasn't your OC I'd agree with saying the Bears have the advantage but unfortunately thats not the case. Martz refuses to run the ball with any consistency and thats going to hurt.

WR - Our options are tremendously better at this point, CJ and Burleson blow away Devin Aromashodu and Johnny Knox. And TE is worthless in Martz offense so advantage Lions at both.

O-line - I'd call it a tie at this point

Defense - You guys better have the advantage here (for the obvious reasons you've already mentioned.

Now I'd like to think my options are relatively unbiased but I think its feasible that the Lions could be the better team. Chicago has had a horrible history of injuries to key members of your defense which could really benefit the Lions chances this year!!

dabears10
07-20-2010, 12:39 AM
OH HAI; Bored Lions fan here

QB- While I agree Cutler is the safer bet, it was Cutlers 2nd year in the league that he excelled.

RB - At this point, HUGE advantage to the Lions. If Martz wasn't your OC I'd agree with saying the Bears have the advantage but unfortunately thats not the case. Martz refuses to run the ball with any consistency and thats going to hurt.

WR - Our options are tremendously better at this point, CJ and Burleson blow away Devin Aromashodu and Johnny Knox. And TE is worthless in Martz offense so advantage Lions at both.

O-line - I'd call it a tie at this point

Defense - You guys better have the advantage here (for the obvious reasons you've already mentioned.

Now I'd like to think my options are relatively unbiased but I think its feasible that the Lions could be the better team. Chicago has had a horrible history of injuries to key members of your defense which could really benefit the Lions chances this year!!

I love your username, but your analysis is a bit simplistic and based mostly on hatred of Mike Martz, which makes sense, but it is too central to how the advantages play.

BeerBaron
07-20-2010, 01:13 AM
Burleson being better than anything we have is a joke. He couldn't even be a decent receiver when the Seahawks were contending.

And while Martz has a history in San Fran and Detroit of failing to use the run game, rushing the ball isn't all he asked his runners to do in order to succeed. Forte and Taylor have both proven to be very good receiving threats as well.

DrunkenLament
07-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Burleson being better than anything we have is a joke. He couldn't even be a decent receiver when the Seahawks were contending.

And while Martz has a history in San Fran and Detroit of failing to use the run game, rushing the ball isn't all he asked his runners to do in order to succeed. Forte and Taylor have both proven to be very good receiving threats as well.

Its a great asset to have IF your quarterback is willing to throw the ball to the rb instead of always looking down field. And if you want to compare Burlesons statistics to the rest of Chicago, in all honesty he fits right in with the rest of your receiving core.
----------G-Rec-yrds
Burleson 13-63-812
Knoxx 15-45-527
Hester 13-57-757
Bennett 16-54-717
*Now obviously Cutler spread the ball around a lot more and statistics don't tell the whole story, but I would say hes at least on par with the guys mentioned above.

I love your username, but your analysis is a bit simplistic and based mostly on hatred of Mike Martz, which makes sense, but it is too central to how the advantages play.

There's no hatred for Martz, at least from me, he just runs a flawed system that requires a perfect compliment of players to be effective in the NFL. And I apologize for my analysis, I didn't intent to "talk" about each point you brought up just the first three.

Gay Ork Wang
07-21-2010, 07:49 PM
After we heard Cutler is talking to Warner:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/07/19/hester-learning-from-former-wr-bruce/

Hester is talking to Isaac Bruce.

I like it a lot

dannyz
07-23-2010, 12:56 AM
If The Bears do BAD and Lovie gets Fired, Who would be the new Head Coach?

Gay Ork Wang
07-23-2010, 12:59 AM
Zimmer from the bengals?

dannyz
07-23-2010, 01:09 AM
What about Jim Harbaugh?

BeerBaron
07-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Gruden. And hopefully the Rams fire Spags so he can become our D coordinator.

MidwayMonster31
07-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Mike Heimerdinger from Tennessee. He knows how to coach quarterbacks, is an Illinois native, already is close with Cutler and runs a sensible offense.
And if Carolina is dumb enough to fire John Fox, he would make a good defensive coordinator.

SFbear
07-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Umm...Mike Martz?

DrunkenLament
07-24-2010, 01:48 AM
Umm...Mike Martz?

I think Rod Marinelli would be a good candidate for another head coaching job!

dannyz
07-24-2010, 01:59 AM
Nick Saban :) I think there is only one College Coach would be an Option and that would be Jim Harbaugh. Zimmer would not be bad. Leslie Frazier could be an Option too.

Hurricane Ditka
07-25-2010, 01:49 PM
If the Bears have any level of offensive success and fail for defensive reasons I'd like to see Martz run the show.

bearfan
07-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Just saw in the paper (NW herald anyone?) we signed Mike Teel to a 2 year contract.

Not huge news but it just adds another young QB to our roster. And I may be a week late on this too lol.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
07-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Happy 1st Day of Traing Camp everyone!

Some notes if you werent following, TEs put on a show (no mention of Kellen Davis) with apperently some remarkable catches. Dez Clark having the best day of that group. Great day for Knox and Hester who had the catch of the day, also caught one and beat Bowman to the endzone. Bowman had some incredible Cutler int. Steltz and Tim Jennings had one each as well.

I have a feeling Martz purposely dialed up as many TE plays as he could for day one...

dannyz
08-01-2010, 02:58 AM
I hope Bowman breaks out this year.

SFbear
08-09-2010, 06:09 PM
1st draft of the depth chart is out
http://www.chicagobears.com/team/depthchart.asp

Tice has been talking up Lance Louis for RG but didn't expect Garza at LG. Probably want someone experienced next to Williams.

Starting Oline
LT Wlliams
LG Garza
C Kreutz
RG Louis
RT Omiyale

MidwayMonster31
08-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Yay for Lance Louis, but looking at that depresses me. We need Williams to become at least a good left tackle.

bearfan
08-12-2010, 07:59 AM
I'm starting to think that we could potentially have a decent offensive line within the next few years. Not only have they been talking up Lance Louis, but also this Asista fellow has gotten some looks as well. Our 7th round draft pick Webb is also looking to make the team, so in a perfect world where everyone pans out our OL could look like this in 2 years:
Williams-Asista-Beekman-Louis-Webb

CameronCropper
08-12-2010, 01:13 PM
The Bears offense will never reach it's potential with Frank Omiyale on the field. The man is a liability, I don't know how many times he has to get blown up or false start before the Bears wise up and cut his ass.

bearfan
08-15-2010, 01:27 AM
Anyone else pissed that Cutler was only out there for 1 series? I understand it is preseason game 1, but all we have heard is how hard Martz's offense is and that Cutler is doing well in it. Ok...great, but let him attempt more than 2 passes before you pull him out. Romo played more series than Cutler did and it was the HOF game. He has had the same offensive coordinator for a few years. Cutler needs to practice at game speed if they want to see what more needs to be worked on.

edit: im still enraged.

And LeFavour was awful.

BeerBaron
08-15-2010, 10:12 AM
With the way the middle of our o-line looked, I'm glad Cutler wasn't out too long. Don't need him getting killed in preseason game 1.

Also, I think Hanie looked pretty good. Moved around nicely and made some good throws. Looked like Cutler-light imo. He does need to take some zip off of his shorter passes though.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
08-15-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm starting to think that we could potentially have a decent offensive line within the next few years. Not only have they been talking up Lance Louis, but also this Asista fellow has gotten some looks as well. Our 7th round draft pick Webb is also looking to make the team, so in a perfect world where everyone pans out our OL could look like this in 2 years:
Williams-Asista-Beekman-Louis-Webb

I will cry if that is the OL in 2 years. We will be lucky for one of Asista/Louis/Webb to become a decent NFL starter.

- Beekman is absolutely woeful. I will be shocked, SHOCKED, if he's around when Kreutz finally decides to hang it up. (which hopefully is rather soon -- like next season)

- Webb is very intriguing on the right side. Snagging him so late was a great pick. However, these type of projects usually take quite a bit of time and it's something this team desperately doesn't have. I just get the feeling he is either going to get rushed into the lineup too quickly or if the season goes bad the Bears will just draft an OT in the first round. He's way too tall to play inside.

- And anyone complaining about Cutler only being in there for one series -- Rivera was blitzing on every play and Cutler was hit 3x on what? 8 snaps? He came very close to being murdered on the other plays as well.

- I thought the interior OL was brutal last night. Same stuff as last season. The Bears are not going to being able to run the ball this season. Combine that with an offensive coordinator notorious for abandoning the run -- expect a TON of ugly 3 and outs next season.

- I thought Major Wright looked pretty damn good yesterday.

- Chris Harris + Bowman got burnt on the TD pass to the Jamaican looking fella. I hate to sound ridiculousy pessimistic, but does anyone else get the feeling we are going to hate Chris Harris by week 5 or so? He was slow before, but my god, he had the reaction time of a moose last night and when he turned his hips and ran towards the endzone looked like he was carrying something on his back.

- Knox should be pretty damn good fantasy wise. Definitely going to draft him. Ideal fit in Martz system.

BeerBaron
08-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Even if we took Harris out...who would we put in? He's just like every other safety we've tried to stick out there the last 2 years. An in the box SS that we're trying to drop into coverage way too much.....maybe Lovie is still looking for another John Lynch who could do both, but guys like that are few and far between.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
08-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Even if we took Harris out...who would we put in? He's just like every other safety we've tried to stick out there the last 2 years. An in the box SS that we're trying to drop into coverage way too much.....maybe Lovie is still looking for another John Lynch who could do both, but guys like that are few and far between.

Yup. Might as well put the two best athletes out there.

SS - Wright
FS - Manning

I don't know. I am just saying Chris Harris was slow when we drafted him and he looked slower last night. I am keeping my fingers crossed, but keep in mind, Carolina gave him away. Carolina is a team that knows how to evaluate talent pretty well. It's just odd that Carolina would do that and then watching him last night... I just would not be surprised to see many calling for his head awfully soon.

BeerBaron
08-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Manning is "The Matador." When he's out there, we are hoping that we can stop them with only 10 guys who can make the tackle. That's scary for a whole different reason...

Last thing I want to see is say, Adrian Peterson take a swing pass, buck a tackle, and then have the only player between him and the end zone be Dan freaking Manning......terrifying.

MidwayMonster31
08-15-2010, 10:48 PM
I think Manning will make the team, but only because of his returning ability. Harris always was below-average (at best) in coverage, I don't know if his recognition is not that good or what. Fortunately, Wright looked like he can stabilize one of those safety positions. On the whole, the other safeties had a pretty lousy night yesterday.

BeerBaron
08-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Oh, I don't doubt that Manning will make the team, he's not bad in coverage and has been a solid nickel corner iirc, but the dude just sucks as a tackler.

bearfan
08-15-2010, 11:17 PM
I thought Webb needed to hold his ground more. Once he decided to stop backing up he was able to hold off the defender pretty well IMO.

@Bustkunklawl on Cutler -
Yeah he may have been being blitzed...he needs to see these kinds of things during game time with a new offense. He throws a pick in preseaon bc of pressure...whatever. Get it out of his system. Just new offense I feel he should be out there more. He ranks 90th in attempted passes (which i know backups are being in) so I'll put it like this...ranked 30th (game tomorrow) in passes attempted.

MidwayMonster31
08-16-2010, 12:27 AM
I thought Webb needed to hold his ground more. Once he decided to stop backing up he was able to hold off the defender pretty well IMO.

@Bustkunklawl on Cutler -
Yeah he may have been being blitzed...he needs to see these kinds of things during game time with a new offense. He throws a pick in preseaon bc of pressure...whatever. Get it out of his system. Just new offense I feel he should be out there more. He ranks 90th in attempted passes (which i know backups are being in) so I'll put it like this...ranked 30th (game tomorrow) in passes attempted.Webb is a really strong guy. If he can improve his hand punch, he'll be a very effective tackle. Also, his footwork will need to improve in order to be in a position where he can get good leverage and use his raw strength. If he makes it, I think it will take 3 years.
As far as Cutler needing to see more snaps, there are 3 more preseason games to go (granted that he won't play more than 1 series in the 4th). Let's wait for someone who isn't going to blitz a lot and let's wait for the offensive line to mesh a little better. Cutler will see a lot of blitzes this season, but that's what studying the film is for.

Bearsfan123
08-16-2010, 05:17 PM
I disagree, Cutler needs as much time as he can get. This is a new offensive system. He needs live snaps and reads. The defense needs live snaps to learn how to tackle. Lovie Smith is a moron plain and simple, I once thought he was a good coach that needed to learn game day decisions. I retract and apologize for said statement and wish that he is told to take a permanent vacation from our organization.

MidwayMonster31
08-18-2010, 12:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=5473514
Meh. At least he's a big guy so he might be able to take a hit.

BeerBaron
08-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Be prepared to see a whole lot of LeFevour then? No way he's ready in less than a week to be able to play.

dabears10
08-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Be prepared to see a whole lot of LeFevour then? No way he's ready in less than a week to be able to play.

Possibly work on the running game a lot more.

ericzedwards
08-22-2010, 12:36 AM
I think that it's time for Jerry Angelo to go. Never mind the fact that I feel like I can't remember the last time we had a draft pick early enough for me to get excited about, because I loved the gutsy move to go get Cutler. And we made a good splash in free-agency this year too, obviously. But aside from those two moves, recently the Bears have completely ignored a deficiency in talent in favor of hiring bigger-name coaches.

We couldn't get any pressure with the front four, so we brought in Marinelli. We couldn't block last season, so we brought in Tice. Both of these men are extremely respected coaches and I applauded both hirings at the time. But it's the players that play the game. Mike Tice can't turn Frank Omiyale into anything more than the joke of an NFL starter that he is. We left the offensive line completely unaddressed this offseason, and instead are relying on a single coach to suddenly turn a bunch of seventh round picks into legitimate football players.

We couldn't spend free-agency money on the o-line because we had to get Peppers to cover the mistake made the year before in counting on Rod Marinelli to teach older defensive ends how to run like they're 23 again. The results of these moves do not look promising yet. I know it's the preseason and I'm usually a fairly optimistic person at this time of the year. But I just watched my franchise quarterback get murdered by Kamerion Wimbley. Jerry Angelo must go.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
08-22-2010, 01:05 AM
I don't even know why Frank Omiyale's name is getting mentioned negatively tonight.

You want to hammer the OL's play? Start with none other than Chris Williams. That was absolutely god awful. He got murdered by Wimbley, a Cleveland Brown run off, who while talented does not make any above average starting LT look like that. Williams was embarrassed tonight. The scary part is everyone knows Chris can't handle really strong DE's who use power moves. But, for him to get murdered by a pure speed rusher?

I am honestly thinking we could be looking for 5 new starters on this offensive line sooner rather than later. If you were sold on Williams before this game (I don't know why you would be) It's safe to say you are re-evaluating.

BeerBaron
08-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Williams was our best lineman in real games at the end of last season, including holding Jared Allen to nothing in that Vikings game we won. It may not be saying much, but he's still better than anyone else on our line.

I missed most of the first half of the game, so I can't speak for every Wimbley sack, but one I saw came when he spun back inside and got Williams bunched on the guard/DE.

Regardless, thank god for Cutler's mobility.

regoob2
08-22-2010, 04:18 PM
We suck. My 6-10 prediction might be a bit to optimistic. I went to the Raiders game. I truly feel bad for Cutler. Our OL is garbage.

On a positive note:

Forte looked good. Briggs and Peppers are gonna be monsters. Idonije should start at LE. Izzy is far more consistent.

Also why is Gilbert dropping more weight? I dont get that. He needed to bulk up to be an UT.

BeerBaron
08-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Maybe with Melton playing a lot inside, we've decided to put Gilbert in Idonije's old role as a part time DE/UT?

And like I said above, thank god for Cutler's mobility. He's going to be running for his life a lot....

Paranoidmoonduck
08-22-2010, 06:56 PM
I missed most of the first half of the game, so I can't speak for every Wimbley sack, but one I saw came when he spun back inside and got Williams bunched on the guard/DE.

Wimbley got one of his other sacks (the last one, I think) by streaking deep and then coming back into the pocket to sack Cutler as he was beginning to scramble, so you could maybe call that one a coverage sack.

The other two were just Wimbley just beating Williams around the edge, something that happened quite a few times (including on that TD by Cutler).

MidwayMonster31
08-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Wimbley beating people around the edge is what made him a first round pick in the first place and it is what keeps him in the league. That said, Williams can do a lot better and he knows it. Being able to read misdirections is something else Williams will learn with experience.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
08-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Wimbley beating people around the edge is what made him a first round pick in the first place and it is what keeps him in the league. That said, Williams can do a lot better and he knows it. Being able to read misdirections is something else Williams will learn with experience.

I actually have always liked Wimbley, but still, that was unacceptable.

Looking forward (kind of) to the game tonight..

BeerBaron
08-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Our 3rd down defense is absolutely ******* terrible. Had to be said.

MidwayMonster31
08-28-2010, 11:47 PM
Chris Harris definitely reminded me why I hated him the first time he was here.

fenikz
08-29-2010, 04:56 AM
Didn't get to see the game today, did Leinart and Anderson look as good as their stats do? and Stephen Williams is a god.

btw coming here because there are no Cardinals fans

Gay Ork Wang
08-29-2010, 06:09 AM
well Anderson didnt look bad, he was pressured a lot and still completed a bunch of passes. might be cause our LBs are still playing as if our Line was not capable of doing anything

Bosanac01
08-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Didn't get to see the game today, did Leinart and Anderson look as good as their stats do? and Stephen Williams is a god.

btw coming here because there are no Cardinals fans

I'm a cardinals fans silly. Leinart sucks.

fenikz
08-29-2010, 06:52 PM
he has 3 incompletions in 3 games, not exactly sucking

Bosanac01
08-29-2010, 07:07 PM
he has 3 incompletions in 3 games, not exactly sucking

He may not be sucking, but he sucks.

MidwayMonster31
08-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Leinart completed shorter passes. Several of them were inside slants that the corners kept giving them. It also helps when the checkdown passes on third downs turn into huge gains, because the Bears can't make a tackle.

BeerBaron
08-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Leinart completed shorter passes. Several of them were inside slants that the corners kept giving them. It also helps when the checkdown passes on third downs turn into huge gains, because the Bears can't make a tackle.

I said about it in the main forum discussion.....this is us on a 3rd down and long:

Bears blitz
QB dumps off to RB just before he gets hit
RB runs for 10 yards before a Bear even appears on screen

We are so predictably ****** on defense that it isn't even funny...

Shiver
08-30-2010, 08:32 AM
Bears fans: why is Hester starting over Aromashadu? That doesn't make sense.

regoob2
08-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Bears fans: why is Hester starting over Aromashadu? That doesn't make sense.
Why is Hester starting.

BeerBaron
08-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Everything I've read says that Hester and Knox have been phenomenal in picking up and running Martz' offense this offseason, and have been the clear top 2 receivers.

We'll probably use 3 and even 4 receivers a lot though, and with Bennett having been out injured, Aromashadu will definitely be the 3rd option I think.

bigbluedefense
08-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Question:

I should avoid Matt Forte in fantasy football at all costs right? I'm still traumatized from him burning me so bad last year. I took him #2 overall. I hate you Matt Forte. Eat a dick you **********.

Bosanac01
08-30-2010, 09:56 AM
whoa you took him #2? Ouch.

I think if you're gonna pick a bear, Aromashadu will be a good option. steal.

bigbluedefense
08-30-2010, 09:59 AM
whoa you took him #2? Ouch.

I think if you're gonna pick a bear, Aromashadu will be a good option. steal.

I took him #2 overall last year. I have my fantasy draft tomorrow, and I see Forte falling to round 3 in most mocks. So I was considering taking him, but then I remembered how he burned me and looked so awful last year, that I'm thinking I'm just going to avoid him this year.

Will Aro start though? He's actually going higher than you think in a lot of drafts.

CJ Spiller and Ahmad Bradshaw are steals I think. Spiller is going in round 3 on average, and Bradshaw in round 4. Jerome Harrison is going round 5/6. He's another steal.

Bosanac01
08-30-2010, 10:13 AM
I guess I don't play fantasy enough. Seems like most people think Aro will start at some point this year and produce nicely. Even as the #3 option he should get a lot of balls thrown his way.

C.J Spiller in definitely a guy I'd target early.

BeerBaron
08-30-2010, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't take Aro before Knox or Hester.

And Forte looks 1000x better than he did last year where he was dealing with injuries. He burned a lot of people though. And Chester Taylor is going to get decent touches....

I'd make him my 3rd option at RB if I could.

regoob2
08-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Knox is going to be our clear cut #1 WR.

1. Knox
2. Aromashadu
3. Bennett
4. Hester

I dont see what's so great about Hester as a WR.

MidwayMonster31
08-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Forte looks a lot better this year than he did last year. That said, if you're in a PPR league, he could be useful since he's a very good backfield receiver. The problem is that Taylor is just as good of a backfield receiver and the Bears may not run a lot in this offense.
If there are a lot of people on auto-pick, expect massive runs on positions.

BeerBaron
08-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Knox is going to be our clear cut #1 WR.

1. Knox
2. Aromashadu
3. Bennett
4. Hester

I dont see what's so great about Hester as a WR.

Everything I've read says he's been great in camp, and signs are pointing to he and Knox starting. Bennett's been hurt too, so I think his chances of getting ahead of the other 3 aren't good.

Rosebud
08-30-2010, 02:40 PM
So I have to ask, what's it looking like for Matt Mayberry, did he show anything worth keeping him around? I have to ask because I went to high school with him and he came up in a conversation, so I now I need to settle my curiosity.

BeerBaron
08-30-2010, 03:13 PM
So I have to ask, what's it looking like for Matt Mayberry, did he show anything worth keeping him around? I have to ask because I went to high school with him and he came up in a conversation, so I now I need to settle my curiosity.

I read up on them a lot, but I haven't even heard him mentioned. Probably doesn't bode well for him....maybe Practice Squad?

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
08-30-2010, 03:20 PM
We cut him after the 1st pre season game.

BeerBaron
08-30-2010, 03:24 PM

Or that....

Rosebud
08-30-2010, 03:50 PM

Did he get any PT? He's a moron and not the quickest laterally, but the dude's tough, really strong and can get going pretty fast. It'd just be nice to rip on a real NFL player for what a tard he was in bio, and not have the highest anyone I knew from high school get be Tony Pape who was a 7th round pick and spent a year or two on the Phins' practice squad.

BeerBaron
08-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Did he get any PT? He's a moron and not the quickest laterally, but the dude's tough, really strong and can get going pretty fast. It'd just be nice to rip on a real NFL player for what a tard he was in bio, and not have the highest anyone I knew from high school get be Tony Pape who was a 7th round pick and spent a year or two on the Phins' practice squad.

I went to a small rural high school and no one has ever gone pro in anything to my knowledge.....our best football player my senior year had a scout from Penn State come to watch. He was a great RB and LB, and he was being scouted as a linebacker...the scout watched him for one defensive series and turned to leave. One coach stopped him and asked him what he though, and the scout bluntly said he was too slow for D-1 football and left.

But hey, our neighboring school is where Mike Mussina went.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
08-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Played in the 4th quarter and got run over on the goal line, one on one. Got cut to make room for Matt Gutierrez the next day.

So feel free to bust his balls at your 10 year reunion.

princefielder28
08-30-2010, 06:42 PM
i'm surprised no one brought up how Dan LeFevour onwed bitches the other night...if Cutler goes down, then maybe we can start talking Super Bowl with you guys

Bosanac01
08-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Yea in a couple of years Bears will be trading Cutler to the Raiders because Lefevour will be ready.

BeerBaron
09-01-2010, 03:44 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/01/matt-leinart-isnt-the-only-cardinal-on-the-trade-block/

Reggie Wells is apparently available via trade. I wouldn't mind sending a late rounder out for him. He's a serviceable player, which is more you can say about the other guards currently on our team, and he went to the same college as I did, so....that's a win right there.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
09-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Suntimes says Olsen is still available. Wells (whoever that is) + a late round pick depending on how well Olsen plays this year?

Idk who Reggie Wells is but Id make that trade in half a heartbeat.

BeerBaron
09-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Suntimes says Olsen is still available. Wells (whoever that is) + a late round pick depending on how well Olsen plays this year?

Idk who Reggie Wells is but Id make that trade in half a heartbeat.

He's a guard for the Cardinals...starter the last couple of years including their Superbowl year but he dropped on the depth chart when the brought Faneca in.

If we're not going to use Olsen, I wouldn't mind trading him....get something now before his trade value really drops after another year.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
09-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Google says he 29...Id still do it. Other than moderate trade value, Olsen provides nothing Des and Kellen dont. I hate him.

And we need to free up #82 before Jon Baldwin gets here ;)

dabears10
09-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Man, the chargers got Patrick Crayton, I really think he coulda been an asset for the Bears.

regoob2
09-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Man, the chargers got Patrick Crayton, I really think he coulda been an asset for the Bears.
He wants a new contract. He most likely wont be worth it.

regoob2
09-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Google says he 29...Id still do it. Other than moderate trade value, Olsen provides nothing Des and Kellen dont. I hate him.

And we need to free up #82 before Jon Baldwin gets here ;)
Dez Clarks career is over. I like Kellen Davis. He has a ton of potential. I dont see why we would trade Olsen though. If it's not for a decent pick then we shouldnt do it.

Giantsfan1080
09-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Is Kevin Malast going to make the team?

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
09-03-2010, 06:12 PM
We cut him. Hopefully lands on the PS.

Mr. X
09-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Is Kevin Malast going to make the team?

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=5527978

He was cut earlier today.

I'm really not feeling too good about this season, we've got a pretty hard schedule except for the second quarter and our secondary is still suspect. I'm thinking 5-11 is probably more accurate unless the defense holds strong and our OL clicks soon.

BeerBaron
09-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Crayton wouldn't have added much. I'm excited about Knox-Hester-Aro 1-2-3 deep.

As for record....I'll stick with 7-9. Cutler and the offense win us a few.....Cutler and the o-line lose us a few....the defense lets us down again.

Gruden for Head Coach in 2011.

regoob2
09-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Crayton wouldn't have added much. I'm excited about Knox-Hester-Aro 1-2-3 deep.

As for record....I'll stick with 7-9. Cutler and the offense win us a few.....Cutler and the o-line lose us a few....the defense lets us down again.

Gruden for Head Coach in 2011.
Replace Hester with Housh......

Mr. X
09-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Since I'm in a giving mood, here is a Forbes article about the Bears finances. Thought it was a pretty interesting read.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2010/0913/nfl-values-10-bears-chicago-football-money-midgets-midway.html

EDIT:

regoob - As soon as I heard the news about Housh my immediate thought was "It would be nice if we signed him and moved Hester back to KRs while also bringing in him as our #4 in certain situations."

regoob2
09-03-2010, 06:44 PM
I didnt want Housh for $40mil but I'll take him for a few mil.

BeerBaron
09-03-2010, 07:17 PM
I don't even want him for that. Let's go with the young speed we have...I don't need any old vets slowing it down.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
09-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Iglesias was cut. He never seemed into it to me, I never got the feeling he was goin balls out. Always seemed defeated.

BeerBaron
09-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Iglesias was cut. He never seemed into it to me, I never got the feeling he was goin balls out. Always seemed defeated.

We waste more 2nd and 3rd round picks than any other team I think I know of. Remember Dan Bazuin? Garrett Wolfe in the 3rd round as a special teamer? Michael Okwo? I even heard Gilbert might be cut.....sigh.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
09-03-2010, 09:54 PM
It hurts. I always feel bad for the player and sad for the team. But it bugged me when our where Hester and Bennett and we go and draft Iglesias and Knox. Huh? Almost exact clones of the two questionable guys we already had. I loved Johnny before the draft and hes done nothing make me stop but thats not how you build a team.

Infact, we do the same thing with SS, UTs, and WLBs.

BeerBaron
09-03-2010, 09:59 PM
It hurts. I always feel bad for the player and sad for the team. But it bugged me when our where Hester and Bennett and we go and draft Iglesias and Knox. Huh? Almost exact clones of the two questionable guys we already had. I loved Johnny before the draft and hes done nothing make me stop but thats not how you build a team.

Infact, we do the same thing with SS, UTs, and WLBs.

"This square peg doesn't fit in this round hole......get me a new square peg!"

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
09-03-2010, 10:30 PM
haha Sidenote: I cant let that go, I said "where" when I meant "were." And never said "wide receivers." Thanks for not being a douche about it. It was typed with passion.

regoob2
09-04-2010, 06:47 AM
Im ok with letting Iglesias go. He has a bad attitude.

Housh is definitely worth a look.

If we cut Gilbert, need to get rid of our entire coaching staff first. This kid showed his true position. DT. So we decide to make him lose weight to play DE?? Why is he not trying to gain strength to be a full time DT? Because were stupid, that's why.

CameronCropper
09-04-2010, 10:03 AM
I'd hate it if we traded G-Reg, I really would.

I understand we still might be able to get something in return for him, but I think he was rarely used to the best of his abilities under Ron Turner. He gets a lot of stick for not being tough enough, not running through guys etc. but I think he made some strides in that respect last season.

I love Dez, don't get me wrong, but the guy is on his last legs.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
09-04-2010, 12:01 PM
We cut Josh Beekman. Didnt see that one coming.

BeerBaron
09-04-2010, 12:14 PM
We cut Josh Beekman. Didnt see that one coming.

He was pretty awful last season....

PFT, per Brad Biggs, is saying that Gilbert will be cut. ****. So ******* wasteful. This organization needs complete gutting.

regoob2
09-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Beekman! WOW. That's by far the biggest shocker.

Him and Gilbert will start somewhere else. I dont doubt that at all.

MidwayMonster31
09-04-2010, 04:47 PM
I always thought Gilbert was better off as a 3-4 end. Also, it looked like Melton was doing better than him on the D line.
Beekman was awful in the preseason. With Asiata and Louis doing better at guard and Beekman bringing nothing to the table at center contributed to getting cut. He might catch on somewhere else as a backup, but that might be it. We'll need to draft a center next year. Whoever the new guys are (not that I have a whole lot of faith in the McCaskey's decision making) will have some work to do.

ChiFan24
09-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Chargers should sign Gilbert, I always thought he'd be a great fit for them at end.

Also, I thought Gilbert looked pretty good at LE against Minnesota last year. Really disappointed we let him go.

BeerBaron
09-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Yeah, we had no business drafting Gilbert. He was a pure 3-4 end all the way. And we already had a similar type UT-DE tweener in Idonije who I think has been one of, if not our best, d-lineman the last few seasons.

princefielder28
09-04-2010, 07:59 PM
the Bears will be forever cursed for cutting Dan LeFevour...how dare you!

SFbear
09-05-2010, 12:29 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0905-cuts-bears-chicago--20100904,0,4361954.story

"Gilbert wasn't the team's target at No. 68 overall, the fourth pick of the third round. After trading out of the 49th pick, the Bears badly wanted Purdue defensive tackle Alex Magee, according to a source close to the situation. Scouts warned Angelo about him but the GM and line coach Rod Marinelli were set until the Chiefs took him at No. 67. It sent the draft room into a scramble that ended with Gilbert, who was on the field for 35 defensive snaps last season and will leave with his lasting memory being his YouTube stunt of jumping out of a swimming pool."

I guess the implication here is that Gilbert was a sloppy pick due to a unprepared draft room but I'm not sure thats fair. We know Dallas would have picked him up the very next pick so Gilbert wasn't a reach but I do get the impression that Gilbert may not have been a guy that Marinelli was very high on. He always seemed like a guy who just screamed 3-4 DE to me. Iglesias is more of a victim of the scheme change on offense.

GB12
09-05-2010, 12:46 AM
How the hell is a front office so unprepared that one player being picked sent them into a scramble? They should know exactly who they're picking if their first choice is gone.

regoob2
09-05-2010, 08:03 AM
How the hell is a front office so unprepared that one player being picked sent them into a scramble? They should know exactly who they're picking if their first choice is gone.
Maybe in GB but not here. We like to be as unprepared as possible.

BeerBaron
09-05-2010, 10:02 AM
McGee wouldn't have been much better....another guy better suited for the 3-4 who we were going to cram as another UT.

Stupid. Stupid stupid stupid.

regoob2
09-05-2010, 11:06 AM
McGee wouldn't have been much better....another guy better suited for the 3-4 who we were going to cram as another UT.

Stupid. Stupid stupid stupid.
Michael Johnson would have been nice. Having him across from Peppers would be sick.

BeerBaron
09-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Michael Johnson would have been nice. Having him across from Peppers would be sick.

He's looking good for the Bengals as a LB. Everyone knew how much talent he had, he was just loaded with it, but the effort was soooo lacking....in the 3rd round though, especially since I now know Gilbert isn't worth **** (on this team,) I'd take him.

Alas.

regoob2
09-05-2010, 11:25 AM
He's looking good for the Bengals as a LB. Everyone knew how much talent he had, he was just loaded with it, but the effort was soooo lacking....in the 3rd round though, especially since I now know Gilbert isn't worth **** (on this team,) I'd take him.

Alas.Gilbert was a strange pick. I didnt think DT was that big of a need at that point. Especially one that needed work like Gilbert. To move him to DE was just stupid. He showed in college we wasnt a great DE.

I just dont understand some of our picks.

SFbear
09-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Practice Squad
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=7037

"The group includes wide receivers Juaquin Iglesias and Greg Mathews, fullback Eddie Williams, center/guard Edwin Williams, tackles James Marten and Levi Horn and defensive end Barry Turner."

There was one spot left which I'm guessing was for LeFevour but he got picked up by the Bengals.

BeerBaron
09-05-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm glad Iglesias wasn't a complete waste.....still, a 2nd year player picked in the 3rd round has no business being on a practice squad.

We'll probably pick up some other QB to fill that spot. I'm rather miffed about Lefevour...he wasn't great, but he was just another wasted pick, for us at least.

Gay Ork Wang
09-08-2010, 06:03 AM
Pray to your gods or science that we dont lose to the lions

regoob2
09-08-2010, 07:27 AM
I'm glad Iglesias wasn't a complete waste.....still, a 2nd year player picked in the 3rd round has no business being on a practice squad.

We'll probably pick up some other QB to fill that spot. I'm rather miffed about Lefevour...he wasn't great, but he was just another wasted pick, for us at least.
Id rather waste a 6th then the 2nds and 3rds we've also been wasting.

regoob2
09-08-2010, 07:28 AM
Pray to your gods or science that we dont lose to the lions
We need to tear this team down to build it back up. Maybe a loss would do that. I'll never root against the Bears but whatever it takes to make us better in the future.

bearfan
09-08-2010, 05:21 PM
We need to tear this team down to build it back up. Maybe a loss would do that. I'll never root against the Bears but whatever it takes to make us better in the future.

QFT

The whole team has a lot of potential, but not enough solidarity. We have a lot of question marks. If we were to tear down and build up, I would hope it was a Pete Carrol-esque tear down.

BeerBaron
09-08-2010, 05:24 PM
A tear down of everyone but Cutler I'd say. (Key player wise anyway.) We're not going to find a more talented QB short of having a top 5 pick, and I'd hope that whoever comes in next would be able to realize that.

dabears10
09-09-2010, 04:34 PM
So, while I was driving home from work I was thinking what the Bears would have to do to transform into the 3-4 defense. The big things that would be missing is a still a play making safety and a NT.

Wright Manning

Peppers-Briggs-Urlacher-Anderson

Tillman Idonje-Adams???-Harris Bowman

BeerBaron
09-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Tommie Harris would get manhandled as a 3-4 end against guard/tackle combos. Idonije would probably be solid on one side though.

I truly hope we don't do it though. So many teams are converting and the once plentiful "tweener" players are becoming more and more valuable, and need to be drafted higher to in order to get them.

regoob2
09-10-2010, 07:54 AM
We'd need all the important stuff to switch to a 3-4. The entire DL, pass rush LB and a new CB. Tillman would have to move to safety.

BeerBaron
09-10-2010, 10:12 AM
We'd need all the important stuff to switch to a 3-4. The entire DL, pass rush LB and a new CB. Tillman would have to move to safety.

I was thinking some more about it last night, and I think that nearly half the league runs some form of it at least part of the time. I'm going to stick with the hope that we don't switch to it.