PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Chicago Bears General Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26

Sportsfan486
01-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Mad respect for you guys coming out and playing ******* hard.

Classic rivalry game there, defensive slugfest. Gotta love it. Hope we see you fools in the championship game.

Gay Ork Wang
01-02-2011, 06:30 PM
i dont think neither team played hard but i really liked that they at least played the whole game.

the two things i saw from this game was:

The defense played great and besides the 2 big plays it was solid. if you hold your opponent to 10 points you have done your job.

The offense struggled for which the reason was the play calling. getting 6.1 ypc and only having 15 carries with 4 or so coming in the last drive is not good. i hope they learn from the tape. the other thing id say is that we missed Bennett. Cutler seemed to have focused in getting the ball to the slot player. when rashied davis can get that many catches and yards, imagine what bennett wouldve done with all his YAC.

Still no injuries and enough tape to evaluate. not the brightest hour but really not that much of a deal

bearsfan_51
01-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Playcalling was poor, but Cutler had a bad game too. If he wants to carry the offense, he needs to be more consistent.

CameronCropper
01-02-2011, 07:06 PM
I know a lot of people think that the fate of the Bears lies soley on Jay Cutler's shoulders but I'm starting to think Matt Forte is going to be the real key to any success we have in the playoffs.

We need to feed him the ball, both on the ground and through the air, because it's no coincidence that when Forte gets rolling so does the rest of the offense.

Sportsfan486
01-02-2011, 07:43 PM
I know a lot of people think that the fate of the Bears lies soley on Jay Cutler's shoulders but I'm starting to think Matt Forte is going to be the real key to any success we have in the playoffs.

We need to feed him the ball, both on the ground and through the air, because it's no coincidence that when Forte gets rolling so does the rest of the offense.

Why, then, did you guys score 3 points on a night when Forte was busting us up pretty well? Your playcallers need to call more runs, though, I agree. Cutler is mini-Favre; he'll make boneheaded plays but some very good ones.

Your first game is going against the Saints (unless they somehow blow a game to the NFC West crapper) and it'll be interesting. Win that, and we'll see you in the NFCCG.

bearsfan_51
01-02-2011, 07:57 PM
You barely beat a team that had nothing to play for, I wouldn't take the Eagles game for granted.

Gay Ork Wang
01-02-2011, 08:00 PM
You barely beat a team that had nothing to play for, I wouldn't take the Eagles game for granted.
and after that the falcons too

CameronCropper
01-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Why, then, did you guys score 3 points on a night when Forte was busting us up pretty well? Your playcallers need to call more runs, though, I agree. Cutler is mini-Favre; he'll make boneheaded plays but some very good ones.

Your first game is going against the Saints (unless they somehow blow a game to the NFC West crapper) and it'll be interesting. Win that, and we'll see you in the NFCCG.

Kind of answered your own question there.

Despite it leaving a slightly bitter taste in my mouth losing to the Packers was probably better for our playoff chances in the long run.

Drew Brees has never done particularly well in cold weather (or against cover 2) and the Bears seem to have had his number over the past couple of seasons.

bearsfan_51
01-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Mike Vick sucks against us too. Honestly, I think our 2nd round matchup is pretty nice regardless if it's Eagles, Saints, or (fingers crossed) Rams/Seahawks.

MidwayMonster31
01-02-2011, 09:32 PM
I really don't want anything to do with the Saints at this point. Even though they lost today, there was a difference in intensity. Brees and co. are a very tough matchup for anyone. Their defense is starting to come together after several injuries. I would rather take my chances with Philly. They are a big play team which can be prevented by the Bears D and they are chronic underachievers in the playoffs (2001 not withstanding).

BloodBrother
01-03-2011, 06:11 AM

nothing to play for but still played like they wanted to win. I was shocked that they kept their starters in the entire game, especially after the beating Jay was taking. Then to see them trying to get the TD at the end

it was a classic black and blue division game, a defensive struggle. Both teams have elite D's and they stepped up today. Bears were playing for division supremacy and to also rid the bad taste out of their mouth's of the last few games(defensive wise)

sweetness34
01-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Nothing says 'winning culture' like laying down for your divisional rivals in a game where you can potentially earn #1 seed in the division.

LOL wut?

Potentially earn the #1 seed in the division? We already had the #1 seed wrapped up. We were potentially playing for the #1 seed, but Atlanta won so that went out the window.

There are/were bigger things than beating Green Bay. Like um, staying healthy and making a run in the playoffs.

I'm still skeptical about this team and how good we actually are, but that game was quite meaningless. Green Bay had something to play for. We really didn't other than pride. We kept it close in a defensive struggle and had a last minute drive to tie it up. Not sure what else you wanted out of this game.

I was just happy to see our defense step up and play well. There is no way in hell that Cutler is going to be able to carry us every game in the playoffs. He's going to need some help in the other 2 phases (Hester included). I still don't trust our OL, our run game has be a tad worried and our defense has been fairly inconsistent the 2nd Half of the season.

I want Lovie fired as much as the next person, but certainly not after this year unless we **** our pants in two weeks.

BeerBaron
01-03-2011, 11:46 AM
I want Lovie fired as much as the next person, but certainly not after this year unless we **** our pants in two weeks.

I go back to what I said after his useless timeout that cost us a first down. Get rid of him, let Marinielli, Martz and Toub all coach their units, and I volunteer to simply hold the challenge flags and try to look less dumb on the sidelines.

CameronCropper
01-03-2011, 11:46 AM
LOL wut?

Potentially earn the #1 seed in the division? We already had the #1 seed wrapped up. We were potentially playing for the #1 seed, but Atlanta won so that went out the window.

There are/were bigger things than beating Green Bay. Like um, staying healthy and making a run in the playoffs.

I'm still skeptical about this team and how good we actually are, but that game was quite meaningless. Green Bay had something to play for. We really didn't other than pride. We kept it close in a defensive struggle and had a last minute drive to tie it up. Not sure what else you wanted out of this game.

I was just happy to see our defense step up and play well. There is no way in hell that Cutler is going to be able to carry us every game in the playoffs. He's going to need some help in the other 2 phases (Hester included). I still don't trust our OL, our run game has be a tad worried and our defense has been fairly inconsistent the 2nd Half of the season.

I posted that before any games were played and everything was pointing towards Lovie Smith sitting the starters.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-03-2011, 02:08 PM
I don't mind Lovie with the assistant coaches we have. I think Rod hasn't gotten enough credit for how the defense has performed.

And I have zero problems and actually enjoyed the Bears going out there to try and end the Packers season.

I would love a new GM however.

Monomach
01-03-2011, 02:28 PM
1. Fire everyone.
2. Hire Eric DeCosta as GM.
3. Hire Ron Rivera for coach.
4. Hire whatever flunky Ron wants for D coordinator.
5. Hire Kubiak for O coordinator.

Cutler's happy, defensive players are happy, I'm happy, everyone's happy. Well, everyone but Ravens fans. They're going to be miserable.

yo123
01-07-2011, 02:19 AM
I keep clicking on this thread because I'm used to seeing NFC North Champion and clicking on it. I die a little inside every time.

bearsfan_51
01-07-2011, 02:20 AM
I keep clicking on this thread because I'm used to seeing NFC North Champion and clicking on it. I die a little inside every time.
Buck up. Because you've got....the....um.......Timber....umm......

yo123
01-07-2011, 02:23 AM
Goldy Gopher basketball! But yeah really nothing else. Just beat the hell out of the Packers if it comes to that please.

Monomach
01-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Goldy Gopher basketball! But yeah really nothing else. Just beat the hell out of the Packers if it comes to that please.

Well, there's also the Twins. You know, as long as the starters go 9 innings every game next season.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Seattle @ home for a trip to the NFC Championship.. LOL!

Unbelievable.

BeerBaron
01-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Seattle @ home for a trip to the NFC Championship.. LOL!

Unbelievable.

Hmm.....Seattle at home. The last time didn't go so well.....

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Hmm.....Seattle at home. The last time didn't go so well.....

I think it will be a bit different this time.

I may have spoken too soon.

However, this is the dream scenario.

Surely, you didn't want the Eagles, right?

BeerBaron
01-09-2011, 06:21 PM
I think it will be a bit different this time.

I may have spoken too soon.

However, this is the dream scenario.

Surely, you didn't want the Eagles, right?

I would LOVE the Eagles because A.) The Packers would be out of the playoffs and B.) We've already beaten them and played damn good in process.

regoob2
01-09-2011, 07:31 PM
I would rather haved played the Eagles as well. They're extremely overrated. The Packers scare me to much.

Even though we lost to the Seahawks I definitely think we'll be the favorites in this game. We played probably our worst game of the season outside of the Giants disaster. We didnt convert a single 3rd down last time. Our OL has played much better since the last time we played them. At least against 4-3 teams.

BeerBaron
01-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Aye, we're a totally different team than at that point.

And I think we should all give some support to the Falcons this week. I would 1000x rather play them in the Georgia Dome than.....well....the other option is just unspeakable at this point.

iowatreat54
01-09-2011, 08:08 PM

And I think we should all give some support to the Falcons this week. I would 1000x rather play them in the Georgia Dome than.....well....the other option is just unspeakable at this point.

Who would have ever thought that facing the #1 seed in a dome was preferred over facing the #6 wild card team at home..?

I find my self shaking my head at this team so much...

bearsfan_51
01-09-2011, 11:51 PM
We are the luckiest team in the NFL.

gpngc
01-09-2011, 11:56 PM
Oh hey guys.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-10-2011, 12:23 AM

Bears are 10 point favorites.

Seriously.

LOL.

Atlanta is -1.5 vs GB.

bearfan
01-10-2011, 09:21 AM
I'm the biggest ATL fan this weekend. I was hoping for the Eagles, the Packers at this point are such a good team that I would have taken the Eagles over the Seahawks just to get the pack out of the playoffs. I think we've got a better chance against ATL than the Packers, especially in a dome.

Monomach
01-10-2011, 10:27 AM

I don't want to play any games at home. Our team is the opposite of a team built for Soldier Field.

bearsfan_51
01-10-2011, 11:43 AM
**** that. Bring on the Packers.

Morton
01-11-2011, 10:22 AM

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Seattle could easily come away with the upset here (they already won in Chicago in the regular season), and then, boy, would their be egg on Lovie's face - one-and-done to a 7-9 playoff team.

regoob2
01-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Seattle could easily come away with the upset here (they already won in Chicago in the regular season), and then, boy, would their be egg on Lovie's face - one-and-done to a 7-9 playoff team.
Is there an egg on the Saints coaches face?

Morton
01-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Is there an egg on the Saints coaches face?

Winning the Super Bowl the year prior kind of gives you a little bit of a pass the following year.

Lovie does not have the benefit of such a pass.

Monomach
01-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Winning the Super Bowl the year prior kind of gives you a little bit of a pass the following year.

Lovie does not have the benefit of such a pass.

Trolling here about Lovie Smith not being so great isn't going to get much of a reaction, chief. It would be like you went to the Vikings board in October and started talking about how much Childress sucked. No one would have given a ****.

In related news, Lovie thinks your post looked a little sketchy, but he was out of challenges, so he can't really do anything about it.

BeerBaron
01-12-2011, 02:41 PM
In related news, Lovie thinks your post looked a little sketchy, but he was out of challenges, so he can't really do anything about it.

How the Bears have been winning games in the Lovie Smith era prior to 2010 (and sometimes in 2010):

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/59/590561.jpg

"That scoreboard can't be accurate...I'm running the same defense we've been running for years. I don't remember them scoring 3 touchdowns....that simply can't be possible. I'm going to challenge the accuracy of the scoreboard."

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-bears-fire-lovie-smith/lovie%20challenge.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gZ18TgcVF2w/RyCRsmEz0mI/AAAAAAAAA78/CoII5zicgYA/s400/NFL+ref.bmp

"After further review, the score on the scoreboard stands. The Bears will be charged with their first team timeout."

http://www.techbanyan.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/lovie_smith.jpg

"How did he throw a TD pass on us? That cover 2 coverage was perfect. They must have been holding the 4 pass rushers we sent...I'm going to challenge that they should have called holding on all 4 of our mediocre pass rushers."

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-bears-fire-lovie-smith/lovie%20challenge.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gZ18TgcVF2w/RyCRsmEz0mI/AAAAAAAAA78/CoII5zicgYA/s400/NFL+ref.bmp

"After further review, it has been confirmed that the Bears simply suck on defense and have questionable defensive playcalling, and cannot adjust for the life of them. The Bears will be charged with their final timeout and are out of challenges for the remainder of regulation."

http://www.kingsrowe.com/blog/sites/default/files/devin-hester.jpg

DEVIN HESTER WITH A RETURN TOUCHDOWN TO WIN THE GAME!!

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2004/writers/peter_king/09/20/mmqb/p3_lovie_all.jpg

Idiot non-Bears fans: "Lovie Smith deserves coach of the year consideration."

Bears fans:

http://arthropoda.southernfriedscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/facepalm.jpg

gpngc
01-12-2011, 02:58 PM
^LOL. Good. Good.

BeerBaron
01-12-2011, 03:05 PM
In 2010, the defense has been better (Peppers and Urlacher,) and the playcalling and adjustments have been better (Marinelli,) but the past 2-3 years where Lovie and Babich were calling defense......it was annoyingly bad.

Monomach
01-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Read this today at Rotoworld:

Chester Taylor is the first running back since the 1970 NFL merger to average less than 2.4 yards per carry with a minimum of 100 carries.

I vote for some Kahlil Bell smashmouthness in the playoffs.

Change of pace physical back > Exact same kind of back as starter, only slower.

BeerBaron
01-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Read this today at Rotoworld:

I vote for some Kahlil Bell smashmouthness in the playoffs.

Change of pace physical back > Exact same kind of back as starter, only slower.

Chester's pass catching and blocking > Kahlil's smashmouthness

Monomach
01-12-2011, 05:50 PM
^LOL. Good. Good.

I'm sure you remember this fondly:

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/3376/2010mattsdbledot.jpg
"Well, that drive sucked. Time to get to the locker room to get ready for overtime."

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/1181/lovierunningtimeout.jpg
"Let's see here...two seconds left, tied game, fourth down, other team's offense heading to the locker room...TIMEOUT, TIMEOUT, OH MY GOD, REF GIMME A TIMEOUT!"

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3765/matthasselbeck201025484.jpg
"Did that gibbering idiot really just give us a free Hail Mary? It's the playoffs!"

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/7674/ddddddes.jpg
"They're passing? Wait a minute...WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN-"

Monomach
01-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Chester's pass catching and blocking > Kahlil's smashmouthness

The guy's caught 20 passes all year for the lowest YPC average of his career. He's the least important target our passing game has. His blocking hasn't been anything special. People still call Greg Olsen a ****** blocker, but he's blown both Taylor and Manumaleuna out of the water this year. Chester and Manumaleuna are both living off of reputations they no longer deserve. All they're missing is an Olin-Kreutz style undeserved pro bowl nod.

I still vote that the backup spot goes to the guy who hits the line like he means it, rather than the guy who has been historically bad. Next year, I think Harvey Unga will make it an easy choice for the coaching staff.

VoteLynnSwan
01-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Manumaleuna has been absolutely terrible. Chester Taylor has been even worse.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Manu has been terrible but only because we put him one-on-one with defensive ends and rush backers. Or maybe because our tackles **** up and he gets left with the D ends and rush backers, Idk. But hes not my least favorite player.

BeerBaron
01-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Manu has been terrible but only because we put him one-on-one with defensive ends and rush backers. Or maybe because our tackles **** up and he gets left with the D ends and rush backers, Idk. But hes not my least favorite player.

I just hate blocking TEs and the idea of blocking TEs to begin with. Almost as much as I hate the prevent defense.

Honestly....and team waste draft picks on them as well. I'd 100x rather take an athletic pass catcher and teach him to block a little than waste draft picks, money and a roster spot on a "blocking" TE.

If I wanted to run a package where I needed an extra blocker, I'd go jumbo and bring in an extra tackle. And if I didn't want to check him in as eligible every time, I'd just keep my best o-lineman who normally would be cut after camp and give him a # in the 80s....he's now my "blocking" TE.

Monomach
01-12-2011, 06:59 PM

Manu is bigger than most DEs and every LB in the league. He' terrible because he's a sack of worthless crap. Him having to block people 30-50 lbs lighter than him is not a good excuse for suckitude.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2010-09/56463055.jpg

Size comparison.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-12-2011, 09:07 PM
I wasn't saying that, so we agree, that wouldn't make sense... Tight ends hardly ever get asked to block one-on-one. If they do its almost always the backside of the play. They're there to help, meaning to chip and go finish a route or double team a specific player.

We expect Bandon Manumaleuna to neutralize some of our opponents best players. Tight ends are not athletic enough to so. If they are, they're usually not big/stout enough to. Thats where good tackles come in.

Monomach
01-12-2011, 09:16 PM
I wasn't saying that, so we agree, that wouldn't make sense... Tight ends hardly ever get asked to block one-on-one. If they do its almost always the backside of the play. They're there to help, meaning to chip and go finish a route or double team a specific player.

We expect Bandon Manumaleuna to neutralize some of our opponents best players. Tight ends are not athletic enough to so. If they are, they're usually not big/stout enough to. Thats where good tackles come in.

Manumaleuna is not a tight end. He is a guard. He just happens to be listed as a tight end. If his 300 lb ass gets brute forced out of the way by 250 lb linebackers (and it does), then he needs to be cut. Linemen who can't block linebackers need to be in the arena league.

sweetness34
01-13-2011, 11:57 AM
So, I guess Pete Carroll said he was going to kick to Hester. Dumb ************. Take a lesson from the Colts who said they could cover him in the Super Bowl. ****, take a lesson from the earlier meeting this year.

Kick the ball out of bounds and make our offense beat you.

VoteLynnSwan
01-13-2011, 12:15 PM
So, I guess Pete Carroll said he was going to kick to Hester. Dumb ************. Take a lesson from the Colts who said they could cover him in the Super Bowl. ****, take a lesson from the earlier meeting this year.

Kick the ball out of bounds and make our offense beat you.

hey... calm down with this "make our offense beat you" business... Feel free to kick to Devin... he probably won't run one back right!?

Obviously this is a stupid decision on Carroll's part.

That being said... I'm more than happy to take any free points Carroll is willing to provide.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-13-2011, 01:45 PM
I don't understand why people think he will. Cuz he said it? Everyone has always said they won't and then they do. Guess my prediction...

sweetness34
01-13-2011, 03:36 PM
hey... calm down with this "make our offense beat you" business... Feel free to kick to Devin... he probably won't run one back right!?

Obviously this is a stupid decision on Carroll's part.

That being said... I'm more than happy to take any free points Carroll is willing to provide.

From our perspective it's a fantastic idea. From an objective perspective it's a mind-numbing idea.

Kicking to Hester though may entail pinning him on the sidelines. Not that it'll make much difference because he's proven he can still take one back.

Obviously I'm a little bias here, but they should make a rule where it's a penalty to punt it out of bounds if it doesn't land inside the 20. Take the kickoff rule and make it punts as well. That way we get all Hester all the time.

BeerBaron
01-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Obviously I'm a little bias here, but they should make a rule where it's a penalty to punt it out of bounds if it doesn't land inside the 20. Take the kickoff rule and make it punts as well. That way we get all Hester all the time.

You and Bill Polian would get along great....let's change the rules to benefit our own team directly!

Monomach
01-13-2011, 05:26 PM
You and Bill Polian would get along great....let's change the rules to benefit our own team directly!

Slant routes are now a 15 yard penalty kthxbai.

Monomach
01-14-2011, 11:19 AM
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/9610/thisairtasteslikeair.jpg

You know he posed like that on purpose just so haters could hate.

BeerBaron
01-15-2011, 08:41 PM
We're going to have to be the ones to beat Green Bay then, aren't we?

CameronCropper
01-16-2011, 04:23 AM
We're going to have to be the ones to beat Green Bay then, aren't we?

We still have to get past Seattle first,

A few times this season we've raced out to leads and then took our foot off the gas on offense, our defense goes into prevent mode and slowly but surely the other team starts to creep back into it. I'm wary of us looking past them like New Orleans did and paying the price for it.

Bearsfan123
01-16-2011, 10:12 AM
"It's time to nut up or shut up."

Sportsfan486
01-16-2011, 05:22 PM
As much **** as Bears and Packers fans talk to each other.. this is a dream for us both. NFC North represent!

One of us is going to be whining like hell for the next year and the other will be gloating for the next year.

I can't see this being a blowout. Going to have to see which QB steps up in the 4th and if Hester destroys us.

VoteLynnSwan
01-16-2011, 05:30 PM
You won't see Bears fans whining about a loss... The Bears aren't a great team. We all know that. It would suck to lose to the Packers because we'd have to hear about it.

But my god I want to see the Packers lose just to see what excuses the fans would come up with for it.

BeerBaron
01-16-2011, 05:32 PM
But my god I want to see the Packers lose just to see what excuses the fans would come up with for it.

You make up a situation for a possible way we could win and I can tell you exactly what they'd say about it.

The fact that we're even this far into the playoffs comes as a surprise to anyone here I think. I don't want to hear the **** from this board all year should the Packers win, but I feel like we're playing with house money a little bit. No one, not even us, expected us to be here. Winning would just be the most awesome layer of icing on top of the cake to beat the Packers.

Gay Ork Wang
01-16-2011, 05:35 PM
oh god, i dont want to lose this game. losing this is not only kicking us out it also gives the packers a chance at the superbowl. that would be the worst loss ive witnessed. worse than the SB Loss

VoteLynnSwan
01-16-2011, 06:02 PM
IF the Bears make it to the Superbowl... and IF this Jets/NE score holds up... the Bears actually have a shot at winning it all.

There's no way the Bears would ever beat the Patriots... but the Steelers isn't a horrible matchup, and the Jets are a great matchup for us.

BeerBaron
01-16-2011, 06:28 PM
IF the Bears make it to the Superbowl... and IF this Jets/NE score holds up... the Bears actually have a shot at winning it all.

There's no way the Bears would ever beat the Patriots... but the Steelers isn't a horrible matchup, and the Jets are a great matchup for us.

Agreed. And i could piss a lot of people off wearing my Bears jersey around if it's Bears/Steelers, lol

VoteLynnSwan
01-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Come to think of it... Julius Peppers would murder the Steelers OL on that field in Dallas.

Gay Ork Wang
01-16-2011, 07:07 PM
apparently everyone thinks we are the worst team still in it

Sportsfan486
01-16-2011, 08:02 PM
You won't see Bears fans whining about a loss... The Bears aren't a great team. We all know that. It would suck to lose to the Packers because we'd have to hear about it.

HAHAHAHA. Already making excuses and the game hasn't been played? You're right. You got a bye 'cuz your team isn't really any good, so if you lose it's not really indicative of anything but if you win it just shows how much you own us or something.

You are a higher seed. If we win, it's the upset. Don't make excuses before the game is even played, wait until after we kick your butt.

That Bears defense at home scares me. Hester terrifies me. Anything can happen when the Pack goes to Soldier.

VoteLynnSwan
01-16-2011, 09:22 PM
HAHAHAHA. Already making excuses and the game hasn't been played? You're right. You got a bye 'cuz your team isn't really any good, so if you lose it's not really indicative of anything but if you win it just shows how much you own us or something.

You are a higher seed. If we win, it's the upset. Don't make excuses before the game is even played, wait until after we kick your butt.

That Bears defense at home scares me. Hester terrifies me. Anything can happen when the Pack goes to Soldier.

It's not an excuse. The Bears are a wildly inconsistent team. Sometimes they look unstoppable, sometimes they lose to the Seahawks.

The Bears can beat anybody... they can also lose to anybody. I've been saying that all season long.

It's completely irrelevant how good either team is, as we've all seen in this rivalry over the years.

My whole point was that I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears lost... I also wouldn't be at all surprised if they won.

bearsfan_51
01-16-2011, 10:00 PM
47% of America currently thinks the Packers will win the Superbowl, 11% thinks the Bears will. We're not the favorites.

VoteLynnSwan
01-17-2011, 12:01 AM
47% of America currently thinks the Packers will win the Superbowl, 11% thinks the Bears will. We're not the favorites.

Packer fans are the only ones who vote on stupid crap like that.

yo123
01-17-2011, 06:16 AM
It really pains me to see you guys talking **** about Chester.

Gay Ork Wang
01-17-2011, 08:25 AM
he needs better inside blocking. Forte gets most of his yards on teh outside and cause he makes people miss or breaks tackles. Id think Chester would do much better running inside.

VoteLynnSwan
01-17-2011, 11:46 AM

I loved the signing, and I liked him as a player... but he's been THE worst runningback in the league.

Although he did have a great game against the Seahawks. He looked better than he's looked all year.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
01-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Let's go Bears! Been on the wagon since the PO's started, well actually since we gave you guys Jay. So here's to the Bears winning and us all trolling the **** out of Pack fans when it happens. Let's see what Rodgers does against an actual defense in the playoffs.

SDE
01-17-2011, 05:34 PM
apparently everyone thinks we are the worst team still in it

You are. :D

BeerBaron
01-17-2011, 05:51 PM
You are. :D

If you don't have anything intelligent to add, stick to your own forum.

tjsunstein
01-18-2011, 07:30 AM
Good luck Bears fans. I'm not going to waste my time talking **** or getting into a back and forth over what happened in previous games between the two. This game is on a completely different level for these teams, so what happened in the past is irrelevant. Stats don't matter. Wins/losses don't matter. Then again, when have they ever in this rivalry?

Like I said, Best of Luck.

Gay Ork Wang
01-18-2011, 07:39 AM
Good luck Bears fans. I'm not going to waste my time talking **** or getting into a back and forth over what happened in previous games between the two. This game is on a completely different level for these teams, so what happened in the past is irrelevant. Stats don't matter. Wins/losses don't matter. Then again, when have they ever in this rivalry?

Like I said, Best of Luck.
finally someone who is sensible. there is a high chance we lose. i just dont understand people who dont also see that there is also a high chance of winning. for me, this is a 50-50 game

Monomach
01-18-2011, 09:40 AM
My "general discussion" point is something that been gnawing at me for a while. The Mike Martz bandwagon seems to be cruising along at full force and I don't understand why.

2009 offense: 33 touchdowns
2010 offense: 33 touchdowns

2009: 5169 passing + rushing yards
2010: 5013 passing + rushing yards

The team scored a total of 7 points more than last season. The difference? We had one additional TD from special teams.

Now it's possible that we'd be better if Martz had the line he needed to run his 7 step drop plays. But wouldn't we have been better had Ron Turner had a better line allowing more time for WRs to get open, too? Maybe Cutler will develop a little in his second year with Martz. But wouldn't he have done that with Turner, too? I just can't help but wish that we'd thrown a ridiculous amount of money at Jeremy Bates and told him off the record that he'd have a shot at the head coach job after a year if he could get our offense looking like the Cutler-led Broncos.

Now we kind of have to keep Martz despite the offense not really improving. We can't just go and change schemes on Cutler again. We'd turn him into Alex Smith.

Oh, well. Hopefully Angelo's token 6th round O lineman pick turns out to be golden and Martz gets to run his system and Soldier field gets turf and Hester/Knox stop falling down/giving up on routes and Martz learns something from theis year and changes his playbook to more running/quicker passes and it rains gumdrops and everyone loves one another and the Bears score 50 TDs next year but my mom got scared, and said, "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air." I whistled for a cab and when it came near The license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cab was rare, but I thought, "Nah, forget it. Yo, holmes to Bel-Air!" I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 and I yelled to the cabbie, "Yo homes smell ya later!" Looked at my kingdom I was finally there, to sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Air. I'm not counting on it, but hoping for it is pretty much the only option right now. The schemes we have are set in stone as the schemes for next year.

VoteLynnSwan
01-18-2011, 11:09 AM
The Bears should bring in Mike Singletary to coach the linebackers. Just to increase the number of former head coaches on the staff.

iowatreat54
01-18-2011, 11:16 AM
The Bears should bring in Mike Singletary to coach the linebackers. Just to increase the number of former head coaches on the staff.

Agreed.

The more HCs on the staff, the less HC Lovie has/gets to do.

Aboooo Samurai Mike is going to the Vikes to be LB coach/Assistant HC.

Gay Ork Wang
01-19-2011, 05:14 AM
I just had the worst nightmare: We lost to the Vikes in a game between the NFCCG and the Divisional Playoffs by 2 points cause Gould missed a FG from 20 yards out. That automatically disqualified us from the NFCCG and the Vikings played instead. WORST DREAM EVER

regoob2
01-19-2011, 04:20 PM
My "general discussion" point is something that been gnawing at me for a while. The Mike Martz bandwagon seems to be cruising along at full force and I don't understand why.

The team scored a total of 7 points more than last season. The difference? We had one additional TD from special teams.

Now it's possible that we'd be better if Martz had the line he needed to run his 7 step drop plays. But wouldn't we have been better had Ron Turner had a better line allowing more time for WRs to get open, too? Maybe Cutler will develop a little in his second year with Martz. But wouldn't he have done that with Turner, too? I just can't help but wish that we'd thrown a ridiculous amount of money at Jeremy Bates and told him off the record that he'd have a shot at the head coach job after a year if he could get our offense looking like the Cutler-led Broncos.

Now we kind of have to keep Martz despite the offense not really improving. We can't just go and change schemes on Cutler again. We'd turn him into Alex Smith.

Oh, well. Hopefully Angelo's token 6th round O lineman pick turns out to be golden and Martz gets to run his system and Soldier field gets turf and Hester/Knox stop falling down/giving up on routes and Martz learns something from theis year and changes his playbook to more running/quicker passes and it rains gumdrops and everyone loves one another and the Bears score 50 TDs next year but my mom got scared, and said, "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air." I whistled for a cab and when it came near The license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cab was rare, but I thought, "Nah, forget it. Yo, holmes to Bel-Air!" I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 and I yelled to the cabbie, "Yo homes smell ya later!" Looked at my kingdom I was finally there, to sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Air. I'm not counting on it, but hoping for it is pretty much the only option right now. The schemes we have are set in stone as the schemes for next year.

Wow that's crazy. Cutler already knows Bates O so I wouldn't see that being a setback for him.

VoteLynnSwan
01-19-2011, 04:24 PM

The passing numbers simply don't quantify how much more in control Jay has looked this season, and how much better our offense is.

I'm not as concerned about passing TDs and passing yards as I am total offense and points per game, which without actually looking at the numbers, I'm sure are significantly better than last year.

Edit-Well I'd be interested to see the difference between completion percentage and QB rating between the two years, which is really where the major differences will be.

Monomach
01-19-2011, 04:53 PM
The passing numbers simply don't quantify how much more in control Jay has looked this season, and how much better our offense is.

I'm not as concerned about passing TDs and passing yards as I am total offense and points per game, which without actually looking at the numbers, I'm sure are significantly better than last year.The numbers I posted weren't passing touchdowns or yards. They were TOTAL touchdowns and yards. As you can see, the offensive output is virtually identical. Not only were the points scored and the points per game by the offense any better, they were the same. As I said, the sole difference was Hester getting us one extra TD on special teams.

Edit-Well I'd be interested to see the difference between completion percentage and QB rating between the two years, which is really where the major differences will be.
Not sure why these matter. If your QB's completion rate is 100% with a 158.3 rating, it's the same as your QB's completion rating being 10% with a rating of 40 as long as you score the same number of points. In fact, the guy with the worse numbers in that case is actually better for you because all those extra plays he made ate up clock, lol.

In any case, ask and ye shall receive:
Completion %
09: 60.5
10: 60.4

Rating
09: 76.8
10: 86.3

Something even more damning...The offense had a starting position nine yards better than last year following opponent's punts. They just didn't do any more with it than last year's team.

So, yeah. Basically, Mike Martz is not measurably better than Ron Turner with the personnel we have.

BeerBaron
01-19-2011, 04:57 PM
But pretty much everyone will take what we've gotten in Martz over what Ron did. Statistics be damned.

Monomach
01-19-2011, 05:00 PM
But pretty much everyone will take what we've gotten in Martz over what Ron did. Statistics be damned.

That's the thing. All he did is provide the same number of points. Why is that preferable in any way?

Mike Martz hasn't done anything but ride the defense into the hearts of Bears fans. It gives me a big sad.

BeerBaron
01-19-2011, 05:04 PM
That's the thing. All he did is provide the same number of points. Why is that preferable in any way?

Mike Martz hasn't done anything but ride the defense into the hearts of Bears fans. It gives me a big sad.

Cutler's picks are way down. His offense seems to be more explosive. Martz has kept one of the best balances in the league.

Reasons I can think of.

Bearsfan123
01-19-2011, 05:25 PM
What was the difference in TOP?

Monomach
01-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Cutler's picks are way down. His offense seems to be more explosive. Martz has kept one of the best balances in the league.

Reasons I can think of.

Is there any reason to attribute a drop in picks to Martz, though? He put Cutler under greater pressure, even. I'd give credit for learning how to throw it away to Cutler.

Again, exact same number of points...and wouldn't a less explosive offense be 1000x preferable to an explosive offense if they score the same number of points? One keeps your defense off the field. The other shoots its wad and goes to the bench.

...and again, all of the balance in the world means nothing if you don't score more points.

The guy is being overrated because the defense is winning, and he's failed to outproduce the guy we (rightly) bagged on for years. This is how very bad things happen. Things like extensions. Things like promotions to head coach spots.

What was the difference in TOP?
A minute and a half. 19th in the league this year. Still under half of the game. Given the drop in interceptions and vastly better defense, that's kind of pathetic.

regoob2
01-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Does anyone think we would fire Martz after he helped take us to the NFCC/SB?

Monomach
01-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Does anyone think we would fire Martz after he helped take us to the NFCC/SB?

Of course he's not getting fired. Every bad coach/GM affiliated with the team is staying.

The question here is did he help us get here or did he ride the defense? It's looking like he helped us get to the playoffs the same way Rex Grossman "led" the team to the Superb Owl.

VoteLynnSwan
01-19-2011, 07:03 PM
You make valid arguments... but I think the best thing for Jay Cutler is to keep some consistency with his offensive coordinator. Has he ever had 2 straight years under the same guy?

GB12
01-19-2011, 07:05 PM
You make valid arguments... but I think the best thing for Jay Cutler is to keep some consistency with his offensive coordinator. Has he ever had 2 straight years under the same guy?

Rick Dennison was the offensive coordinator of the Broncos the whole time Cutler was in Denver.

VoteLynnSwan
01-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Rick Dennison was the offensive coordinator of the Broncos the whole time Cutler was in Denver.

I should start looking things up or something. That's too much work.

bearsfan_51
01-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Martz has a scheme that has been a proven success. Ron Turner does not. That, as well as the wins, are your difference.

Monomach
01-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Martz has a scheme that has been a proven success. Ron Turner does not. That, as well as the wins, are your difference.

Proven success? With one of his four teams. That's a bad average.

Wins?

2009 defense: 375 points
2010 defense: 286 points

2009 offense: 327 points
2010 offense: 327 points

Do you really want to attribute the 4-win swing to the offense after looking at that?

Ready to have your mind blown? Ron Turner's 2009 offense was 19th in points. Mike Martz's 2010 offense is...21st. It's pretty evident that Mike Martz and Ron Turner both suck.

bearsfan_51
01-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I saw those stats when you posted them the first time.

I'm just saying why most people support Martz.

Monomach
01-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Yeah, I saw those stats when you posted them the first time.

I'm just saying why most people support Martz.

My bad. I mistakenly thought you were on board the Martz train. Sorry.

CameronCropper
01-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Whilst I understand that the city holds the 1985 Super Bowl team in it's hearts, I can't be the only one that gets fed up of former players (not exclusive to Super Bowl XX winning Bears either, Gale Sayers for example) popping up out of nowhere to hate on their former team.

Obviously they're more than entitled to have their own opinions, but I don't get why some of them are so damn salty.

iowatreat54
01-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Meh, I have no problem with what Sayers said. His original comments back in May were spot on and coming into this season I felt the same. I expected the Bears to be 8-8 at best, but realistically was thinking 6-10. They out performed pretty much everyone's predictions.

I would never have thought that this team coming into the 2010 season would be in the NFCCG. I think that's all Sayers is saying.

regoob2
01-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Has he said something recently?

iowatreat54
01-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Has he said something recently?

Yesterday or something he came out and said he was surprised how well the Bears have done. And then restated that he was just telling it like he felt it was back in May, which was pretty accurate.

He really wasn't ragging on the Bears.

bearsfan_51
01-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Gayle Sayers was really nice to me in person. It's completely anecdotal, but it's more than I can say for some of the other pro athletes I've met.

Monomach
01-23-2011, 04:23 AM
I don't even want the win for the Bears' sake anymore. Now I just want it to shut up the "WE ARE UNSTOPPABLEZZ" Packer fans that have come out in force since beating Atlanta.

Gay Ork Wang
01-23-2011, 05:38 AM
after morton left, i hardly have any reason to cheer for the bears at all if it werent for the packers fan

MidwayMonster31
01-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Straight and to the point:
Let's kick the **** out of them.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Over/under a million points today?

For Ditka.

BeerBaron
01-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Gentleman,

I have no good parting words. Nothing to say that hasn't already been said. All I can tell you....

Go Bears. Go Bears.

Hurricane Ditka
01-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Will this game get here already? God damn.

Bear Down.

CameronCropper
01-23-2011, 11:41 AM
The day of all days is upon us.

regoob2
01-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Bear Down!!

01-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Uh oh. Greg Jennings is puttin da team on his back do.

BeerBaron
01-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Get Chris Harris the **** out of the game. All 3 big passes right in front of him.

bearsfan_51
01-23-2011, 02:36 PM
This is a curb stomping so far.

BeerBaron
01-23-2011, 04:15 PM
I will never forgive Jay for this. Never.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-23-2011, 04:17 PM
Onto the draft..

FU Cutler & Todd Collins.

I am proud of the defense.. 14 points through basically 3 quarters so far. They came to play today.

Gay Ork Wang
01-23-2011, 04:39 PM
if we win, im gonna go apeshit

CameronCropper
01-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Looks like I'll be changing my avatar and signature in the forseeable future.

BeerBaron
01-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Well, Hanie's run was fun while it lasted. Go AFC team in the Superbowl.

LizardState
01-23-2011, 05:03 PM
I realize ya'll are beating your heads against he walls now, but don't lose sight of the obvious: if you want to fire somebody it's not Cutler.

It's Jerry Angelo.

regoob2
01-23-2011, 05:19 PM
I realize ya'll are beating your heads against he walls now, but don't lose sight of the obvious: if you want to fire somebody it's not Cutler.

It's Jerry Angelo.
We dont need to fire anyone. He had a great season.

CameronCropper
This can't be life.

Gay Ork Wang
im gonna blame this loss on Lovie and Martz. that was the most pathetic way to end thsi game

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-23-2011, 05:21 PM
- Proud of the defense.
- Proud of Forte.

Disgusted with most of the offense / coaching / play calling.

It was really a great season all things considered. We need a good FA class again and some impact draft players.

Sportsfan486
01-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Mad credit to you guys for coming out and fighting hard. Defense played lights out.

regoob2
01-23-2011, 05:22 PM
im gonna blame this loss on Lovie and Martz. that was the most pathetic way to end thsi game
Why? We lost 21-14 to a far more talented team, minus our best offensive player and QB?

What I want to know is why isnt Cutler playing in the shotgun in obvious passing plays like Hanie was.

MidwayMonster31
01-23-2011, 05:26 PM
****. The main thing I'm going to blame the offense for is not moving the pocket, when you're getting beat up front.

BeerBaron
01-23-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm surprising calmer right now than I thought I would be.....

Had we just outright lost the game with our full compliment of players, I'd be pissed. But......seeing Hanie give it all he's got and the defense playing like animals late and Forte running like he's Adrian Peterson........

I'm proud of most of this team. The coaching and Cutler no......but the rest of the team....good year guys.

regoob2
01-23-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm surprising calmer right now than I thought I would be.....

Had we just outright lost the game with our full compliment of players, I'd be pissed. But......seeing Hanie give it all he's got and the defense playing like animals late and Forte running like he's Adrian Peterson........

I'm proud of most of this team. The coaching and Cutler no......but the rest of the team....good year guys.
You're proud of our OL for getting our QB knocked out of the game?

BeerBaron
01-23-2011, 05:29 PM
You're proud of our OL for getting our QB knocked out of the game?

Forte, Hanie and the defense then.

Hurricane Ditka
01-23-2011, 05:32 PM
I really hope there isn't a lockout. If this the last taste of Bears we get in 2011 it was not a good one. We to fix the offensive line and a big time receiver. At least we made it a game.

Gay Ork Wang
01-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Why? We lost 21-14 to a far more talented team, minus our best offensive player and QB?

What I want to know is why isnt Cutler playing in the shotgun in obvious passing plays like Hanie was.
i blame the dumb decisions. Im fine with losing if we gave our best. but damn we called a ******* WR return. on 3rd and 3. We called an idiotic timeout for no reason. We put the balls not into fortes hand, but into Earl bennett on a running play, after we showed them we gonna run the ball.

CameronCropper
01-23-2011, 05:36 PM
U-jzYMSiNHQ

I don't see how anything other than a fatal injury could stop someone who grew up a Bears fan from playing in one of if not the single biggest playoff game in the franchise's history.

Monomach
01-23-2011, 05:43 PM
U-jzYMSiNHQ

I don't see how anything other than a fatal injury could stop someone who grew up a Bears fan from playing in one of if not the single biggest playoff game in the franchise's history.

If our line were to carry Cutler down the field, they'd fumble him onto his head, resulting in a concussion..

Anyway, I think the obvious move is to fire Angelo for not addressing the line. Of course, that's not happening. He gets to ruin another draft.

VoteLynnSwan
01-23-2011, 05:46 PM
I really can't believe that was the play call in such a crucial situation.

Clearly the offensive line needs a ton of help.

The defense is unstoppable when they get a bit of momentum. This team looks pretty good for next year as long as we can fix the offensive line issues.

Forte is a beast, and should have been the one running the ball on 3rd and 3.

Todd Collins is the worst Bear quarterback ever.

BeerBaron
01-23-2011, 05:49 PM
I really can't believe that was the play call in such a crucial situation.

Clearly the offensive line needs a ton of help.

The defense is unstoppable when they get a bit of momentum. This team looks pretty good for next year as long as we can fix the offensive line issues.

Forte is a beast, and should have been the one running the ball on 3rd and 3.

It looked like they were going to hand it to him (or Taylor, whichever was in) before the egregious timeout.

That's two straight Packers games with an asinine timeout call by our coaches.

VoteLynnSwan
01-23-2011, 05:52 PM
It looked like they were going to hand it to him (or Taylor, whichever was in) before the egregious timeout.

That's two straight Packers games with an asinine timeout call by our coaches.

It was Forte on a cutback, that looked to be wide open.

I don't care if you just showed them the play... put the damn ball in Forte's hands.

Monomach
01-23-2011, 05:56 PM
That was a stupid play. After showing them run before the timeout, I'd have followed with anything other than what we did. A screen? A designed QB run? Anything.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Assuming Tommie Harris is not brought back.

We should have some $$ to spend, correct? I know the CBA is up in the air, but..

I wouldn't mind signing Colledge to play OG. Hurts the Packers and improves our interior.

BeerBaron
01-23-2011, 06:50 PM

We should have some $$ to spend, correct? I know the CBA is up in the air, but..

I wouldn't mind signing Colledge to play OG. Hurts the Packers and improves our interior.

I think there are better guards available. Mankins of the Pats and Nicks of the Saints come to mind. I believe both with be UFAs.

GB12
01-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Plus Davin Joseph. I want to sign any of the three to replace Colledge. Of course there's next to no chance of that happening, so Colledge will be re-signed.

BeerBaron
01-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Plus Davin Joseph. I want to sign any of the three to replace Colledge. Of course there's next to no chance of that happening, so Colledge will be re-signed.

Plus you probably don't want to use your once a decade big free agent signing budget on a guard.

Hurricane Ditka
01-23-2011, 07:04 PM
We need to extend Matt Forte, spend at least one high draft pick on the offensive line, and get a wide out that will fight for the ball.

Monomach
01-23-2011, 07:13 PM
We need to extend Matt Forte, spend at least one high draft pick on the offensive line, and get a wide out that will fight for the ball.

I'm a lot more worried about Manning than Forte. We have another year before we have to worry with Forte.

TimmG6376
01-23-2011, 07:30 PM

Sorry but I don't think there are many Packer fans that would shed a tear if Colledge were signed away. And if he is an improvement to your interior line that says a lot about the current state of your interior linemen.

Monomach
01-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Sorry but I don't think there are many Packer fans that would shed a tear if Colledge were signed away. And if he is an improvement to your interior line that says a lot about the current state of your interior linemen.

He'd be our best interior lineman, so yeah...

Midon
01-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Hey guys, good luck next year when your defensive core begins to look like a nursing home and Cutler is still proving to be a waste of some perfectly good first round picks.

Maybe Lovie will even get extended and continue to screw up the Bears' chances of ever being a championship winning team again? Cool!

Monomach
01-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Hey guys, good luck next year when your defensive core begins to look like a nursing home and Cutler is still proving to be a waste of some perfectly good first round picks.

Maybe Lovie will even get extended and continue to screw up the Bears' chances of ever being a championship winning team again? Cool!

Hi, Morton. I missed you, too.

tjsunstein
01-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Good season fellas. Like that we were the ones to end it as it adds to an already great rivalry but you guys deserved to be there. Best of luck net year. Nothing but respect.

iowatreat54
01-24-2011, 11:09 AM
I was pretty hammered during the game, so that helped numb the hurt but I will say that I hope Martz and Lovie die. Not really, but I'm beyond angry at them and Martz did exactly what I thought he'd do...big stage, and he reverts to doing whatever he wants aka throwing the ball 90% of the time and running ******** plays like 3rd and 3 end arounds.

I know it was just his first season as OC, but congrats Mike Martz, you just ran an offense that was essentially equal in production to a Ron Turner ran offense in 2009!

And I don't know if anyone saw but pregame on BSPN, they had a thing pop up that said, "Extension coming for Lovie." I couldn't hear what was discussed, but I swear to god I hope they were just talking about if he should be extended, and not reporting that he will be...

EDIT: http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=6054665

So who wants to partake in some violent stabbing of a certain Bears GM with me?

BeerBaron
01-24-2011, 03:04 PM
After a night to sleep on it and let the wild emotions subside, I've come up with some thoughts headed into the offeseason:

1.) I'm done talking about anything Cutler related. He's going to remain our QB for the foreseeable future and in order to keep rooting for the Bears, we need to root for him too. So be it.

2.) Matt Forte is a freaking beast and a half. If he was wearing a #28 Vikings jersey yesterday, people really may have thought he was AP. He was running hard, breaking tackles, rarely going down at first contact and he had a couple nice stiff arms too. He was playing like a man possessed late in the game...add to it his receiving abilities and he's going to really go off next year if we add some more talent to the o-line.

3.) Speaking of the o-line, I was worried for a while that the decision makers would see that it was playing better recently and put off addressing it for a while...now I don't think it will happen after getting our finally getting our QB hurt. Kreutz needs to go sooner rather than later...I don't care about his leadership and experience. It means nothing if he can't hold up physically. Garza is another who needs to go. Interior lineman are must this offseason imo, and given our position late in the first round, we could probably justify taking one without it being too much of a reach.

4.) Our defense can still get it done...for now. The Packers ripped off to a fast start, but didn't score an offensive point in the 2nd half. But we still need some youth and depth, particularly in the secondary. I know many here keep saying that we can't justify a high pick on a corner given our scheme, but we really need help at the position. Draft a DT isn't going to help us with our biggest weakness: the quick passing game. When the QB, like Rodgers, releases the ball in .000561 seconds, the corners need to be there to, if not break up the pass, at least bring the guy down right away. Catch and runs on quick slants that pick up first downs can be limited to shorter gains if we had more athletic corners.

5.) Dave Toub is the man when it comes to the special teams, and Robbie Gould and Hester still kick ass. But Brad Maynard is getting shakier...if not this offseason,then perhaps next, but we need to think about getting a new punter.

Monomach
01-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Can't believe we're extending Lovie Smith. Can't believe it. Can't believe that Jerry Angelo is in a position to negotiate said extension.

Only the Bears.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-24-2011, 08:56 PM
63-49 reg season. 3-3 in the playoffs. Whole lotta meh if you ask me.

I really feel we need a Dungy-to-Gruden Tampa makeover.

Hurricane Ditka
01-24-2011, 09:20 PM
3 division titles in 3 years. All 3 playoffs appearances come with a bye. 1 trip to the Superbowl, another trip to the NFC Championship, and more important than anything else he has the players respect. Bringing in a new regime would set this team back. Lovie gives us our best chance to win. Nobody thought we'd have the season we had this year, and with another draft and hopefully a free agent period theres no reason this team can't be completive next year.

iowatreat54
01-24-2011, 11:33 PM
3 division titles in 3 years....what?

He has 3 titles, but in 04, 05 and 10. And the seasons other than that they haven't been competitive. He's made the playoffs in less than half the seasons he's been coach...

Btw, a bunch of the talking heads are saying Collins was on the team/played over Hanie because Martz wanted a veteran that would run his system, and didn't like that Hanie wouldn't run the plays exactly how he wanted and would improvise if things went wrong. God, I really never thought I'd hate an OC more than Ron Turner...

Hurricane Ditka
01-25-2011, 12:42 AM
brainfart. I meant 7. Thought 7, just didn't type 7.

VoteLynnSwan
01-25-2011, 08:22 AM
3 division titles in 3 years....what?

He has 3 titles, but in 04, 05 and 10. And the seasons other than that they haven't been competitive. He's made the playoffs in less than half the seasons he's been coach...

Btw, a bunch of the talking heads are saying Collins was on the team/played over Hanie because Martz wanted a veteran that would run his system, and didn't like that Hanie wouldn't run the plays exactly how he wanted and would improvise if things went wrong. God, I really never thought I'd hate an OC more than Ron Turner...

Well if that's the case regarding Collins... then Martz needs to stop drawing up plays where Collins throws the ball in the DB's gut.

regoob2
01-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Lovie is a defensive coach and our D is playing great. Once we revamp our OL were looking very good.

Monomach
01-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Lovie is a defensive coach and our D is playing great. Once we revamp our OL were looking very good.

He's a D coach who sucked so badly at D coaching that his playcalling duties were stripped. I think the D will be good again, though. I just think it won't have much to do with Lovie. Angelo is probably going to spend a first round pick on an UT. That's how he rolls. If we're lucky and he isn't a bust, the line should be crazy.

BeerBaron
01-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Another thing to keep in mind....we got insanely lucky avoiding injuries this year. We lost basically no one important, and often (except the Packers,) the teams still alive in the end aren't so much the "best" as the "healthiest."

I'm not counting on that kind of luck again.

VoteLynnSwan
01-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Another thing to keep in mind....we got insanely lucky avoiding injuries this year. We lost basically no one important, and often (except the Packers,) the teams still alive in the end aren't so much the "best" as the "healthiest."

I'm not counting on that kind of luck again.

As far as injuries are concerned... you're right. We have no depth. Offense or Defense. To lose Peppers or Urlacher (or Cutler) for an extended period would make this a 5-7 win team.

Regarding the draft... As far as I'm concerned... this is a win now situation for the Bears. With Urlacher, Briggs, and Tillman all aging... We need to be in championship form within 1-2 years, otherwise their play cannot be guaranteed. I'd love to draft OL early... but our first pick needs to be an immediate difference maker. I'm not sure I see the OTs available at the end of the first round as immediate contributors... well Lovie probably wouldn't start them at least.

So where does that leave us? An interior lineman would probably be able to start right away... A defense lineman would be able rotate in nicely.

I'm more or less expecting an UT with the first pick if Tommie Harris isn't resigned.

BeerBaron
01-25-2011, 11:42 AM
As far as injuries are concerned... you're right. We have no depth. Offense or Defense. To lose Peppers or Urlacher (or Cutler) for an extended period would make this a 5-7 win team.

Regarding the draft... As far as I'm concerned... this is a win now situation for the Bears. With Urlacher, Briggs, and Tillman all aging... We need to be in championship form within 1-2 years, otherwise their play cannot be guaranteed. I'd love to draft OL early... but our first pick needs to be an immediate difference maker. I'm not sure I see the OTs available at the end of the first round as immediate contributors... well Lovie probably wouldn't start them at least.

So where does that leave us? An interior lineman would probably be able to start right away... A defense lineman would be able rotate in nicely.

I'm more or less expecting an UT with the first pick if Tommie Harris isn't resigned.

Well, Harris' contract isn't up...so it's not resigning that's the issue. It's whether we want to pay him a $2.5 million bonus this offseason for a limited role player. I doubt we do.

Anthony Adams IS a free agent, and given that we already resigned Toeiana, I'm not sure we bring him back since they basically have the same role. We've also been developing Melton...not sure if he's starter material or not, but he definitely gets in on the rotation quite a bit.

I don't doubt that we may go DT in the first. It looks like there will be decent value there as well.

I've said before that, while I know "our system," I'd like to see us get a more athletic corner early in the draft. It would help us from constantly getting beaten on those quick passes that eat us up right now. Adding to the pass rush doesn't do much when the QB is releasing the ball in a fraction of a second on a quick slant. We need corners who can man up a little closer and stick better.

Monomach
01-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Well, Harris' contract isn't up...so it's not resigning that's the issue. It's whether we want to pay him a $2.5 million bonus this offseason for a limited role player. I doubt we do.

Anthony Adams IS a free agent, and given that we already resigned Toeiana, I'm not sure we bring him back since they basically have the same role. We've also been developing Melton...not sure if he's starter material or not, but he definitely gets in on the rotation quite a bit.

I don't doubt that we may go DT in the first. It looks like there will be decent value there as well.

I've said before that, while I know "our system," I'd like to see us get a more athletic corner early in the draft. It would help us from constantly getting beaten on those quick passes that eat us up right now. Adding to the pass rush doesn't do much when the QB is releasing the ball in a fraction of a second on a quick slant. We need corners who can man up a little closer and stick better.
I'm pretty sure Lovie wouldn't let the corners line up any closer if they were Revis and Scrabble.

Monomach
01-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Speaking of Scrabble, it's probably time for us to start arguing about free agents.

I get the impression that we're going to go after one or two really notable guys. Keep in mind, I said "notable" rather than "good."

Trying to be reasonable as far as money goes, I'd be targeting James Jones at WR and Ryan Kalil at C followed by looking at OT, OG, CB, DT in the draft.

Unfortunately, Alan Branch, Braylon Edwards, Matt Light is my prediction for Angelo's free agent "haul." Branch is starting to come on, so that may turn out well. Braylon is....ugh. Light is done, done, done and right up JA's alley.

bearsfan_51
01-25-2011, 12:55 PM
If we go FA, I can only picture an offensive lineman or a backup QB.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-25-2011, 01:47 PM
The only backup QB Id go after is Caleb ************* Hanie.

sweetness34
01-25-2011, 03:46 PM

Lovie is a great 'rah-rah' guy. He has the respect of his team and his personnel skills are fantastic. He is however a liability in play calling, has no idea about offensive schemes and his game management skills are pretty pathetic.

He hired good coaches to cover up his weaknesses. If all Lovie did was talk to our guys in pre-game and determine stay with personnel issues I'd be okay.

Some look at this season as a success because of where we were and where people thought we'd be. I look at this season as an enigma and a mirage. I believe next year we'll see how good we really are (assuming health isn't much of an issue). The ball bounced our way a lot this year and we took advantage of it.

Gay Ork Wang
01-31-2011, 06:32 AM
VP Tim McCaskey died

TitleTown088
01-31-2011, 09:51 PM
I feel like this board's old school packer-bear rivalry isn't what it used to be, especially after a game like that.

All Bear fans have syphilis.

Kudos to those who have been around long enough to remember that debacle.

BeerBaron
01-31-2011, 09:57 PM
What are we supposed to do? Challenge the result? Try to make any point to a Packers fan base which is the most insulated in sports and would rather die than admit any minor issue with their team?

TitleTown088
01-31-2011, 09:59 PM
What are we supposed to do? Challenge the result? Try to make any point to a Packers fan base which is the most insulated in sports and would rather die than admit any minor issue with their team?

Now we're talking.

Monomach
02-01-2011, 01:10 AM

You can't talk. YOUR TEAM ISN'T IN TEH SUPER BOWLZ!

TitleTown088
02-01-2011, 07:56 AM
You can't talk. YOUR TEAM ISN'T IN TEH SUPER BOWLZ!

Feels good man.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_i9Bhk-3mVDE/TIP34fuc2FI/AAAAAAAAAB8/_RSiDSdFnNo/S220/Hank+Smoking.jpg

regoob2
02-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Is it bad that I'm rooting for the Packers.....

iowatreat54
02-02-2011, 04:44 PM

Did vikes steal your soul or something?

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-02-2011, 06:09 PM

O.o ...yeah.

regoob2
02-02-2011, 06:17 PM
I dislike more players on the Steelers then the Packers.

Gay Ork Wang
02-02-2011, 06:18 PM
there is no reason ever to root for the packers in the playoffs. ever.

BeerBaron
02-02-2011, 06:25 PM
there is no reason ever to root for the packers in the playoffs. ever.

Hmm...I don't want Peyton to ever win any more rings because I don't want him more than a marginal option for the GOAT QB discussion.....so I might have to root for the Packers if they ever played in a Superbowl. (God willing that will never, ever happen....)

I'd also probably have to root for them if they were to play a Donovan McNabb led team in an important game. Can't let that guy anywhere near the HOF or it will cheapen the memory of the REAL HOF QBs......

Those are the only 2 snowball chance in hell instances I would consider doing it.

bearsfan_51
02-02-2011, 07:26 PM
I dislike more players on the Steelers then the Packers.
But......you're a Bears fan?

GB12
02-02-2011, 11:13 PM
There's only way I'd ever root for the Bears in the playoffs is if they were playing the Vikings.

02-02-2011, 11:27 PM
The only way I would ever root for the Steelers is if they were playing the Packers. AYOOOOOO

UePtoxDhJSw

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Andyzz Fantuzz!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Fantuz

MidwayMonster31
02-04-2011, 04:58 PM
http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca/officialgallery/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/fantuz.jpg
Good bye Aromashodu.

Monomach
02-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Oh, wow. I've been checking the news every day to see whether we signed him. Wish we'd gotten Arceneaux instead, but this is good, too.

Fantuz is old and slow, but he's supposed to have out of this world hands.

BeerBaron
02-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Oh, wow. I've been checking the news every day to see whether we signed him. Wish we'd gotten Arceneaux instead, but this is good, too.

Fantuz is old and slow, but he's supposed to have out of this world hands.

White guy WR with good hands...#83...hmmmm....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_bQ0SqifjNcg/TA3KSFVVCcI/AAAAAAAAVwA/plw8W_UCGGE/s400/joe-jurevicius-tattoo.jpg
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kvowxzAgvb1qavcgg.jpg

Nice...nice.

Monomach
02-04-2011, 05:33 PM
White guy WR with good hands...#83...hmmmm....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_bQ0SqifjNcg/TA3KSFVVCcI/AAAAAAAAVwA/plw8W_UCGGE/s400/joe-jurevicius-tattoo.jpg
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kvowxzAgvb1qavcgg.jpg

Nice...nice.

Yeah, but...he's SLLLOOWWWWWWW. Supposedly he timed at 4.5, but f you watch him play he's a lot slower. He looks like a 4.7 guy. He is good at using that big body to keep DBs away from the ball, and he's not afraid to fight for a ball in the air, though.

Maybe we run him across the middle to abuse linebackers. You know, like we should have done with Olsen all year.

Bearsfan123
02-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Sweet! Tommy Waddle V2!!!!!!!!

regoob2
02-06-2011, 05:40 PM
But......you're a Bears fan?
Now that the games started Im rooting for the Steelers. haha

Gay Ork Wang
02-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Worst season ever

MidwayMonster31
02-06-2011, 09:29 PM
******* hell

bearsfan_51
02-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Was there a football game yesterday or something?

02-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Just focus on the future, guys. You have Andy ************* Fantuz.

dabears10
02-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Just focus on the future, guys. You have Andy ************* Fantuz.

Do you have a review? Will he be anything more than a slot receiver in the NFL?

regoob2
02-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Do you have a review? Will he be anything more than a slot receiver in the NFL?
6-4 220. No speed. Camp body.

regoob2
02-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Who's for bringing in Mankins/Joseph/Nicks?

With another potential capless season, the extra income we brought in from 2 home playoff games and the fact we have no money invested in our OL I can see us doing it.

BeerBaron
02-07-2011, 09:01 PM

With another potential capless season, the extra income we brought in from 2 home playoff games and the fact we have no money invested in our OL I can see us doing it.

Any of the 3 would be awesome. Then draft Wis in the first round...mmmmm nice. Until I hear otherwise, I'm going to remain on the "JA has JA guys at the tackle spots, he won't do anything there."

So upgrading the interior is about the best we can hope for right now.

regoob2
02-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Any of the 3 would be awesome. Then draft Wis in the first round...mmmmm nice. Until I hear otherwise, I'm going to remain on the "JA has JA guys at the tackle spots, he won't do anything there."

So upgrading the interior is about the best we can hope for right now.
I dont like Wis in a power system. He'd be a much better fit in a ZBS. Also from your sig Lee Ziemba sucks. I wouldnt draft him.

BeerBaron
02-07-2011, 09:59 PM
I dont like Wis in a power system. He'd be a much better fit in a ZBS. Also from your sig Lee Ziemba sucks. I wouldnt draft him.

He wouldn't be bad for a backup swing tackle and potential future starter at RT.

Also, I don't exactly think we're a power system....Tice might want us to be, but if Martz gets his way and ends up with decent protection, we'll be doing a lot more finesse type stuff I think.

Wis is basically young Kreutz reincarnated. A bit bigger even. He might not have the nastiness of Kreutz but he's at least on par in every other way I think.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-08-2011, 03:25 AM

I'd love it. And I'd rank them like this:

1 - Joseph
2 - Nicks
3 - Mankins

Davin Joseph is awesome. I really do not see him getting out of Tampa Bay however. But, would absolutely love it.

Nicks is a really mean **** kicker as well.

Mankins is the most likely to leave, but may get a bit overpaid.

With Chester Taylor being cut + Tommie Harris likely not being back. $$ seems to be opening up.

regoob2
02-08-2011, 06:55 AM
Taylor is only due $1.275 mil next season.

Monomach
02-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Taylor is only due $1.275 mil next season.

We have two guys on the roster already who make the minimum and could provide the same or better production. Most seventh rounders could provide the same or better production. Most UDFAs could provide the same or better production. Even when he got a rare hole, he looked slow and weak. He had a historically bad season. He set a record with his badness. Bad bad bad.

The Bears are rumored to be cutting him, and it's the right choice. JA'd gain a lot of good will with me if he did that, cut Manumaleuna, re-signed Manning, and drafted at least two O linemen in the first three rounds.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-08-2011, 12:21 PM
I understand the validity of the rumor but I think I'd be pretty surprised if we cut Chuck Taylor. And I'd be shocked as all hell if we cut Manu too. Not because neither deserve it, they probably do, but because they were part of what was intended to be a 3-man free agent face-saving extravaganza.

We're not big on admitting **** ups.

bearsfan_51
02-08-2011, 12:38 PM
I think it would be odd to cut him before camp, simply because, as someone else mentioned, there isn't much of a financial incentive to do so. Most of his money was up-front, his contract is reasonable now.

If he gets to camp and still sucks, sure, cut him, but I don't see the point now.

And I never liked the signing.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-08-2011, 02:33 PM
I think it would be odd to cut him before camp, simply because, as someone else mentioned, there isn't much of a financial incentive to do so. Most of his money was up-front, his contract is reasonable now.

If he gets to camp and still sucks, sure, cut him, but I don't see the point now.

And I never liked the signing.

I wonder if it has to do with his personality in the locker room.

I know he's been known as a real good teammate, but something seemed off last year.

Most likely due to his poor season, but his interviews just seemed a bit.. off? Like he clearly was not happy about the offense & Martz. I don't know maybe I am way off. I just got that vibe.

critesy
02-08-2011, 03:51 PM
andy fantuzz!! is sooo slooow. would be surprised to see him make it out of camp.

Gay Ork Wang
02-09-2011, 01:03 PM
bears are already being picked to be not going to the playoffs next year

BeerBaron
02-09-2011, 02:43 PM
bears are already being picked to be not going to the playoffs next year

It'll be another year of hearing how the Packers will be the greatest team ever and how the Lions will win a Wildcard spot.....

I'm willing to admit that we got helped out by a bit of luck this year. No major injuries, the ball seemed to bounce our way more often than not.....similar to the Bengals of last year.

I think we played like a .500 team that got lucky a few times.

On the plus side though, we're not really losing anyone major to free agency and we'll actually have first and second round picks for the first time in years. And our coaching staff will retain totally in tact for better or for worse....

And HOPEFULLY Cutler goes out to prove the haters wrong...shows some fire, passion and HEART.

BeerBaron
02-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Anyone wanna bet that we make a bee line to pick up St. Clair? He was cut by the Browns...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/09/report-shaun-rogers-among-browns-cuts/

Monomach
02-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Anyone wanna bet that we make a bee line to pick up St. Clair? He was cut by the Browns...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/09/report-shaun-rogers-among-browns-cuts/

I'd go choking infants.

When Jordan Black was released, the first thing I said was "Oh, yeah. That's a Jerry Angelo signing."

BeerBaron
02-09-2011, 05:25 PM
We tried to keep St. Clair iirc when the Browns just outbid us. JA will probably take a look and think "swing tackle" and pull the trigger.

sweetness34
02-10-2011, 04:46 PM
I think we played like a .500 team that got lucky a few times.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I have no problem with people picking us to finish out of the playoffs next year because I felt we were maddeningly inconsistent this year. Also, like you said we had a lot of luck go our way.

Unless we significantly upgrade this team in need areas (offensive line specifically) I see us out of the money next year.

I do not believe in Lovie Smith at all. If he proves me wrong again like he did year then I'll be happy to have my serving of crow, but he makes me want to punt babies.

The talk of extending his contract past 2012 about gave me an aneurysm.

tjsunstein
02-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Bears won't use franchise tag.

Monomach
02-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Bears won't use franchise tag.
That one was obvious. The only free agent of significance is Danieal Manning. He had a great year, but can't pay the guy top 10 money based on one year.

Gay Ork Wang
02-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Mankins is prolly going to get tagged

Gay Ork Wang
02-15-2011, 09:15 AM
JCut is going to marry Kristin Cavallari. Thats a pretty good...

http://www.chicitysports.com/2011/02/10/marshall-faulk-criticizes-bears-wr-johnny-knox-comments-on-cutler/

Also Faulk comments on Knox and Cutler

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 01:43 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/15/tyson-clabo-wont-get-franchise-tag/

The Falcons have the type of line I would like to see us build. A group of mean and nasty SOBs. If none of the 3 UFAs are franchised and they let any of them go, I'd glady take any one of them.

MidwayMonster31
02-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Bears sign Richmond McGee to (probably) be the new punter.
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/02/source-bears-will-sign-punter-richmond-mcgee.html

VoteLynnSwan
02-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Take a chance on Bob Sanders? I think so.

regoob2
02-19-2011, 11:53 AM
I hope we let Manning walk so Sanders (who is a good fit) can be a rotation guy at SS. Harris can rotate with Wright at FS and Sanders at SS. Id only want Sanders on a 1 yr min contract though.

bearsfan_51
02-19-2011, 12:08 PM
There are more desperate teams who will give Sanders more than one year, I'd bet.

I'd rather give Major Wright a chance if we don't resign Manning.

BeerBaron
02-19-2011, 12:56 PM

You and the fans of 30 other franchises all are saying this.

I say nay. I'd like to resign Manning and have Wright replace Chris Harris (hopefully sooner rather than than later) as our safeties.

SimonRath
02-19-2011, 01:02 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/15/tyson-clabo-wont-get-franchise-tag/

The Falcons have the type of line I would like to see us build. A group of mean and nasty SOBs. If none of the 3 UFAs are franchised and they let any of them go, I'd glady take any one of them.

love it! :D

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Hmm, I was kind of expecting 3 pages on OJ Atogwe. Whats up?

Monomach
02-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Hmm, I was kind of expecting 3 pages on OJ Atogwe. Whats up?

He's better than Harris. I'd be down.

I just don't expect him to sign with anyone but the Rams. They're not really cutting him. They just didn't want to pay him 8 million. 8 million is crazy for a safety.

regoob2
02-20-2011, 06:50 PM
He's better than Harris. I'd be down.

I just don't expect him to sign with anyone but the Rams. They're not really cutting him. They just didn't want to pay him 8 million. 8 million is crazy for a safety.

Harris was by far our best safety. Harris isn't going anywhere. Wright will get his shot to start. We have bigger needs so we can't afford Atogwe. I'm ok with resigning Manning but he won't have hi starting spot handed to him like it has been. He's a min contract guy who wants more. Let someone else overpay for his return ability.

BeerBaron
02-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Harris was by far our best safety. Harris isn't going anywhere. Wright will get his shot to start. We have bigger needs so we can't afford Atogwe. I'm ok with resigning Manning but he won't have hi starting spot handed to him like it has been. He's a min contract guy who wants more. Let someone else overpay for his return ability.

Harris was never fast, and he isn't getting any faster. I give him one more year tops before he becomes nothing more than a liability.

Even if Major Wright proves to be capable, unless we resign Manning, we'll need another starting safety sooner rather than later.

bearsfan_51
02-20-2011, 09:31 PM
It seems like a lot of Bears fans were upset that we ever let Harris go, although maybe those were different fans.

regoob2
02-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Harris was never fast, and he isn't getting any faster. I give him one more year tops before he becomes nothing more than a liability.

Even if Major Wright proves to be capable, unless we resign Manning, we'll need another starting safety sooner rather than later.

Just because Manning is faster doesn't mean he's better. Harris is athletic and more than enough range. He's also a far better football player and is light years better at everythig except returning kicks.

BeerBaron
02-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Just because Manning is faster doesn't mean he's better. Harris is athletic and more than enough range. He's also a far better football player and is light years better at everythig except returning kicks.

I'm not comparing his speed to Manning's, I'm comparing his speed to overall football speed. He was never a burner and was noticeably slower last year than in his original stint with us, where he also was never a burner.

I'm not suggestion you have to have elite speed, but I think Harris' ceiling is rather limited, and I wouldn't mind seeing him replaced in another year or two.

bearsfan_51
02-21-2011, 02:38 PM
All things being equal, I'd rather have Manning than Harris.

BeerBaron
02-21-2011, 03:04 PM
All things being equal, I'd rather have Manning than Harris.

Agreed. Younger, more athletic, higher ceiling...greatly improved last year.

I think someone else will overpay for him though. There were a lot of bad secondaries in the league last year and an athletic safety with that much starting experience is going to command some cash.

Monomach
02-21-2011, 09:07 PM

Whaaaaa? I don't even...

Manning had a MUCH better season than Harris. Manning was crazy good. Manning is not a min contract guy. He's the one free agent we'd better not let go this offseason as long as he doesn't cost 6 million a year or whatever. I'd say he was one of the most underrated players in the league last year. If you don't believe me, PFF graded him as the sixth best safety in the league last season. Their fancy stats show him missing 3 tackles all year and allowing a total of zero touchdowns. They had Chris Harris as middle of the pack, which is understandable considering that he was out of position.

It seems like a lot of Bears fans were upset that we ever let Harris go, although maybe those were different fans.I was one of those fans. Of course, 24-year old strong safety Chris Harris is very different from 29-year old free safety Chris Harris. Atogwe also wasn't an option at that time (not that he really is this time).

Just because Manning is faster doesn't mean he's better. Harris is athletic and more than enough range. He's also a far better football player and is light years better at everythig except returning kicks.This is not even close to the reality, man. Manning was better against the run and the pass last season. Hell, I'd even say that he hit harder than Harris, and that was Harris' single biggest selling point. I'm just shocked that you didn't notice it. He had to have been the single most improved player on the team.

Gay Ork Wang
02-22-2011, 01:40 AM
Vikings tagged Greenway, Rice is going to be a FA. Who wants him?

bearsfan_51
02-22-2011, 01:44 AM
If we're going to spend money, I'd rather we fix our atrocious line.

Gay Ork Wang
02-23-2011, 03:52 PM
If we're going to spend money, I'd rather we fix our atrocious line.
Who is available so far?

BeerBaron
02-23-2011, 03:54 PM
Who is available so far?

Handful of Falcons (Clabo, Dahl and Blalock) I wouldn't mind.

Helpful list:
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/fa/ol.html

bearsfan_51
02-23-2011, 04:00 PM
I like Clabo but I think he'll be too expensive after making the pro-bowl.

Give me Marshall Yanda at RT or RG.

BeerBaron
02-23-2011, 04:02 PM
I like Clabo but I think he'll be too expensive after making the pro-bowl.

Give me Marshall Yanda at RT or RG.

Yanda probably won't come too cheaply either, plus he'll be better at G than T.

If we want a RT with some potential who won't be too expensive, I'd look into Ryan Harris. He's been good when healthy but does have the injury concerns....probably wouldn't be too expensive making him a lower risk, high reward type guy.

bearfan
02-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Per PFT, Lovie extended through 2013

dabears10
02-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Per PFT, Lovie extended through 2013

I think that is fair. Everybody's contract is up in 2013 right?

Monomach
02-25-2011, 10:34 AM
I think that is fair. Everybody's contract is up in 2013 right?

His in-game coaching actively hurts his team. That's not fair. What would making him play out his contract hurt?

This is horrible. Bears management is ******* inept. They're only one step above Mike Brown...and that's because they at least have a GM and scouts, even if they are bad at their jobs.

Monomach
02-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Zach Zaidman's twitter feed has some interesting stuff on it.

-When asked whether next season was a "must-win" season, Lovie replied "not really." How inspiring! I really want a coach who says something like "Well, duh. Every season is of the must-win variety."

-When asked about Chris Williams, Lovie said that he's a part of the Bears future, but would not say at which position.

-Bears talked to suburban boy Anthony Castonzo yesterday. Castonzo said that he grew up a Bears fan and if we drafted him, "That would mean that I get to continue being a Bears fan."

-Jerry said "It's a good draft for linemen, particularly on the defensive side." So, yeah. He noticed. Might as well pencil in a D-lineman in the first couple of rounds.

-Ron Rivera is wearing his 1985 super bowl ring at the combine. Not sure why that was newsworthy. If I were him, I'd wear mine and show it off to the kids to get them fired up about playing for me. Said that when he wasn't brought back by the Bears he learned "it's always about business."

prock
02-25-2011, 11:14 AM
I am not gonna lie, I laughed quite hard when I heard this news.

bearfan
02-25-2011, 07:52 PM
I dont mind the extension, it's obvious that the players like to play for him and if he can get them to overachieve like they have this season then more power to him.

He has surrounded himself with good coaching, so outside of management, his only other job is to get the guys to play. Which he does.

I'll take the 2013, and if no forward progression, fire his ass. Hell bc its only 2 years, they can do it after next season and not have lost that much.

iowatreat54
02-26-2011, 01:49 PM
I dont mind the extension, it's obvious that the players like to play for him and if he can get them to overachieve like they have this season then more power to him.

He has surrounded himself with good coaching, so outside of management, his only other job is to get the guys to play. Which he does.

I'll take the 2013, and if no forward progression, fire his ass. Hell bc its only 2 years, they can do it after next season and not have lost that much.

He singed a 2 year extension to his one that ends after '11, so he's signed through the end of '13 = 3 years.

Most likely we will go 6-10 in '11, 7-9 in '12, and then 11-5 in '13 and he and JA will be given raises and signed through 2016.

bearfan
02-26-2011, 02:04 PM
He singed a 2 year extension to his one that ends after '11, so he's signed through the end of '13 = 3 years.

Most likely we will go 6-10 in '11, 7-9 in '12, and then 11-5 in '13 and he and JA will be given raises and signed through 2016.

More of what I meant that it is only a 2 year extension. You are right which gives us 3 more years of Lovie, but it could have been a 4-5 yr extension. My point is that bc it is only 2 extra years, the cost of him being fired would be much less after a season or 2 than a 4-5 year extension. Of course with Virginia at the helm, one cannot expect Lovie not to play out his contract...

My bad for not clarifying what I meant.