PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Chicago Bears General Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

BeerBaron
03-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Well the question is: why didnt they saw it comin earlier??

yay Post 1000

aw....you got it cause they took it away from me....

anywho, guys like miller and brown served their purpose. you can even throw moose in there too. they were brought together for a run at the SB, got 2 good playoff years in a row, and....that was it. i would like to see them avoid doing that anymore and instead get a good group of players we can contend with for years.

easier said than done of course

bearsfan_51
03-01-2008, 04:10 PM
aw....you got it cause they took it away from me....
http://www.seomoz.org/images/upload/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Geo
03-01-2008, 04:17 PM
bf is cold-blooded, hah.

1K posts, zomg the database.

BeerBaron
03-01-2008, 04:20 PM
we're still behind the lions by a good 2700...lets get a move on here people, we dont get to millen bash for filler posts over here

Gay Ork Wang
03-01-2008, 04:42 PM
But they have alot more to complain about, mainly millen

MidwayMonster31
03-01-2008, 06:04 PM
I would hope they at least sign a guard and all the receivers are going quickly. The offense might be a mess before the draft.

Geo
03-01-2008, 06:10 PM
I hope Briggs re-signs with the Bears. It will be weird to see the Bears without the All-Pro next to franchise mainstay Urlacher.

BeerBaron
03-01-2008, 06:13 PM
I would hope they at least sign a guard and all the receivers are going quickly. The offense might be a mess before the draft.

might be a mess after if they really botch things there....

now i know this is a time of year full of BS and smokescreens, but from i keep reading, teh falcons dont seem likely to take matt ryan. figures, the one team worse off than us at QB knows enough not to take that future bust.

i cant stand how many people go crazy for ryan....i saw a few BC games this year and in all but the final 4 minutes of the VT one, he was nothing better than average. plus, HE THREW 19 picks. 19 picks is unacceptable. especially in college and especially for a guy people call the top QB of a draft class....

god i dont want him on the board when we pick....please atlanta change your minds or baltimore.....baltimore could save us too...

i dont even want ryan to be an afterthought for us at our pick

bearsfan_51
03-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Who do you read that from? Everyone seems to think Ryan is a lock to the Falcons (I don't, but most do).

Either way, he's not falling past the Ravens.

regoob2
03-01-2008, 06:45 PM
I hope we bring back Briggs now. It's obvious were rebuilding and he's still young. Our O is looking pathetic.

Smokey Joe
03-01-2008, 07:29 PM
hopefully we sign Bryant Johnson and perhaps add another speed receiver, maybe Andre Caldwell (if we're lucky) in the 4th.

EDIT: actually, looking through the rankings, I forgot about one player who has slipped a lot since the season... D.J. Hall. His game is very similar to Berrian's, IMO, and it is looking like he will be there in the 4th for us due to some character concerns. I wouldn't mind Hall in the 4th at all.

Geo
03-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Screw Berrian, the best linebacker in the league is back with the Monsters of the Midway (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/821409,briggs030208.article), boys. 6 years, $36M.

toonsterwu
03-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Very shocked Briggs came back. That said, sounds like he really overplayed his hand, and we had money to burn, which matched us. Well, that's one position off the needs list.

Positions we don't need: LB/CB/DE/TE

And BeerBaron, I don't think you have to worry. I wouldn't be surprised if Matt Ryan is the first overall pick.

Smokey Joe
03-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Great deal... everyone and their mother thought Briggs would be making at least an average of 7 million a year. Kinda crazy to think that Berrian is making more then Briggs.

BeerBaron
03-01-2008, 10:06 PM
holy jesus did anyone see the berrian deal numbers? who would have though bernard freaking berrian was worth that much.....wow

hopefully your all right on the ryan front. i truly truly do.

and as for briggs, certainly not a bad consolation prize after losing berrian. ill take him back.

and geo? best linebacker in the league? he gets to play next to the best linebacker in the league, lol...

awfullyquiet
03-01-2008, 10:31 PM
WOW. holy hell.

I like that briggs is back. That just made my minute.

pellepelle_10
03-01-2008, 10:35 PM
hopefully we sign Bryant Johnson and perhaps add another speed receiver, maybe Andre Caldwell (if we're lucky) in the 4th.

EDIT: actually, looking through the rankings, I forgot about one player who has slipped a lot since the season... D.J. Hall. His game is very similar to Berrian's, IMO, and it is looking like he will be there in the 4th for us due to some character concerns. I wouldn't mind Hall in the 4th at all.

I have to say Bryant Johnson would definatelly put a smile on my face. As much as I think Bradley could be WAY better I have yet to see him stay healthy. I think Johnson is a must have right now and If we can bring in Turner this will allow for us to expand a great deal in the draft as far as O-Line and an additional WR is concerned. C'mon Bears..lets start getting the ball rolling!

pellepelle_10
03-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Very shocked Briggs came back. That said, sounds like he really overplayed his hand, and we had money to burn, which matched us. Well, that's one position off the needs list.

Positions we don't need: LB/CB/DE/TE

And BeerBaron, I don't think you have to worry. I wouldn't be surprised if Matt Ryan is the first overall pick.

I'd truly hope so but I still think we can add another to the LB core personaly. I do on the other end think TE, DE are pretty much scratched out positions. CB could use depth and LB can as well. We do have more pressing needs now that a main cog on defense has been resigned..talk about a breath of fresh air.

awfullyquiet
03-01-2008, 10:46 PM
I'd truly hope so but I still think we can add another to the LB core personaly. I do on the other end think TE, DE are pretty much scratched out positions. CB could use depth and LB can as well. We do have more pressing needs now that a main cog on defense has been resigned..talk about a breath of fresh air.

LB and CB really? We have Okwo and Williams. D. Manning et al.

This year we can really focus on the offense in the draft. Seriously, we we don't spend 4 top picks on offense. I'll be really kinda sad.

I really just want to say, We draft 2 lineman first/second round and we'll have a competitive team. I wouldn't hesitate to think that the bears will move up if they find decent linemen in the second round.

pellepelle_10
03-01-2008, 10:54 PM
LB and CB really? We have Okwo and Williams. D. Manning et al.

This year we can really focus on the offense in the draft. Seriously, we we don't spend 4 top picks on offense. I'll be really kinda sad.

I really just want to say, We draft 2 lineman first/second round and we'll have a competitive team. I wouldn't hesitate to think that the bears will move up if they find decent linemen in the second round.

I said we do have more pressing needs. I do think LB is a player away from being a problem..which is why we were so desperatelly looking for a replacement of Briggs if he had signed elsewhere. If we had depth it wouldn't have been such a big deal. I do think CB is an issue but again none of these positions take precedence over O-Line, RB, Wr, Safety, or DT at this point.

BeerBaron
03-01-2008, 11:11 PM
I said we do have more pressing needs. I do think LB is a player away from being a problem..which is why we were so desperatelly looking for a replacement of Briggs if he had signed elsewhere. If we had depth it wouldn't have been such a big deal. I do think CB is an issue but again none of these positions take precedence over O-Line, RB, Wr, Safety, or DT at this point.

so desperately? things ive read say the staff is high on jamar williams and would have been fine with him in briggses spot...

and corner...not really a need in teh top....6.....rounds either. i like what we have there too

Smokey Joe
03-02-2008, 12:48 AM
I am starting to jump on the Mendenhall bandwagon @ 14... if he's there. My ideal rest of free agency would be Jacob Bell for LG and Bryant Johnson as our new no. 1 receiver. Then via draft get Mendenhall @ 14, trade up using our two 3rds and a future 2nd to move up to the Jets spot in the 2nd and get Gosder Cherilus, and with our other 2nd rounder get Joe Flacco.

I know most of this is wishful thinking, but that would be a very successful offseason, IMO.

Smokey Joe
03-02-2008, 12:49 AM
How in god's green earth is CB an issue? We have our two starters in Vasher and Tillman. Manning Jr. is the nickle back, McBride has shown he is good enough to start and would be the dime, and Graham has showed some signs of development last season. CB is arguably our strongest position.

Bearsfan123
03-02-2008, 01:03 AM
I am starting to jump on the Mendenhall bandwagon @ 14... if he's there. My ideal rest of free agency would be Jacob Bell for LG and Bryant Johnson as our new no. 1 receiver. Then via draft get Mendenhall @ 14, trade up using our two 3rds and a future 2nd to move up to the Jets spot in the 2nd and get Gosder Cherilus, and with our other 2nd rounder get Joe Flacco.

I know most of this is wishful thinking, but that would be a very successful offseason, IMO.

if we're gonna go with wishful thinking heres mine:

14 trade down to 19 and pick up another 3rd rder :Jeff Otah OT
Trade up our 2nd and 3rd rders with a 6th to move up to the 28th pick to reach for Kenny Phillips S
3rd rder:Josh Johnson QB
3rd rder:Kerry Brown G or Adarius Bowman WR

With signing Michael Turner and Bryant Johnson. *pops bubble* or we sign Julius Jones and Bryant Johnson. That seems plausible at least.

Smokey Joe
03-02-2008, 01:11 AM
I've been thinking about it, and Ray Rice in the 3rd would be a good fit, if he's there. He's small, but unlike Wolfe, he has some bulk and is powerful.

bearsfan_51
03-02-2008, 02:36 AM
This from the NFL forum:

I saw this on the ticker at the bar and stood up and starting cheering, a bit odd at a Minneapolis bar.

I'm not suprised, but I'm happy. In this market that's a great deal. 7 million less than what Berrian got from the Vikings.

Welcome home Lance. It feels nice and warm.

http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/fortyniners/2006/10/25/BILLS_BEARS_FOOTBALL_CXB107350x276.jpg

http://kdfblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/celebrate1.jpg

http://bp2.blogger.com/_FCMwSaYG4pw/R3KS8upsK0I/AAAAAAAAAtk/Tr24fLYuVE8/s320/ral.jpg

bearsfan_51
03-02-2008, 02:36 AM
As for who thought Berrian was worth that much. Umm....me.

awfullyquiet
03-02-2008, 02:56 AM
As for who thought Berrian was worth that much. Umm....me.

berrian was worth 36/6? probably. not 43/6. if we coulda locked bb and briggs at 36/6 for each of them, i'd say, hella-victory!

way to double post those pictures boy.

Meta4
03-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Im upset, I really wish Briggs would have made his way to GB. Good job on getting the deal done.

regoob2
03-02-2008, 10:18 AM
What do you guys think about Dewayne Robertson? I think he would be a good fit at NT and he's a terrible fit for the jets.

BeerBaron
03-02-2008, 10:24 AM
so we were talking ideal offseason scenarios eh?

call me crazy but i think we can stay right where we are in teh draft, pick up chris williams, grab a speedy one-cut runner in jamal charles in 2 to play single back when we go 2 TE's, and in the 3rd, take andre woodson with the first and one of the following WR's (or possibly another) with the 2nd: adrian arrington, jerome simpson, adarius bowman, jordy nelson, andre caldwell, lavelle hawkins. if somehow none are there, go with the best guard available. or DT.

then, later in teh draft where we are hella good (thanks cartman) at finding defensive talent, reel in a future SS and a big bodied DT to play next to harris.

the DT can start in a rotation with adams and dvorcek before working his way into more full time duty and the S can play behind brown and dan manning as depth and learn.

as for G, if we dont get someone via FA (i think bell might be the only worthwhile one left and i dont think we've even talked to him) i would be ok with taking a rookie late in the draft and letting st. clair go into the season there. he sufficed well enough last year there and would be an improvement over what was there in brown.

and there we would have, in my opinion, one helluva team slung together. our weakest spot would still be WR, but as we've gone over in various threads around here, its probably the least important part of our offense as long as we just throw some field stretchers outside

BeerBaron
03-02-2008, 10:24 AM
What do you guys think about Dewayne Robertson? I think he would be a good fit at NT and he's a terrible fit for the jets.

wouldn't we have to trade for him though? i dont want to give up any picks for him...if he were cut or something, i could see it

regoob2
03-02-2008, 10:26 AM
ya he's still under contract I think he would be a great fit. He has great size and quickness for our scheme and he's still very young. We could probably get him for very cheap.

BeerBaron
03-02-2008, 10:29 AM
ya he's still under contract I think he would be a great fit. He has great size and quickness for our scheme and he's still very young. We could probably get him for very cheap.

idk, teh going rate for DT's lately has been a 3rd and a 5th (jenkins, stround, rogers [sort of])

i think thats more than id give. it doesnt sound bad but we're going to need all of those picks if we dont get off of our asses and start talking to some FAs

awfullyquiet
03-02-2008, 10:46 AM

I say NT isn't an issue this year (barring another hellacious injury to dusty (the greatest man of all time) dvorchek...)

If he is healthy this year. The break out will be dynamic and we will single handedly have the most ferocious D-Line in attacking of this decade. End of Story. (and yes, i'm basing that on the Strahan, Osi, Tuck line last year. Any Carolina D-Line. The 2002-03 Bucs (Yeah, with booger, sapp, spires and rice). Note i use the word attacking. most 3-4 DL's don't attack... nubs)...

Harris is more developed. And healthy. Ogunleye, Brown, Anderson have shown with a little support, they can be hella dangerous. (was 2006 an overachieving year? i don't think so). Dvorchek is the key to taking this to the next level IMO.

regoob2
03-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Thats all well and good but what if Dusty gets hurt again?

bearsfan_51
03-02-2008, 10:49 AM
The problem with Robertston is that he has a 13 million cap charge this season, that's why the Jets haven't been able to trade him yet.

BeerBaron
03-02-2008, 11:59 AM
yeah, like i mentioned above somewhere, im not concerned with the defense. this team has proven again and again that they can find defensive studs in the late rounds. if we fill some needs on offense via FA, maybe we can bump up the rounds in which we look for some defenders, but i dont think the needs there are really big enough to trade for or sign via FA

toonsterwu
03-02-2008, 12:35 PM
The NT position is arguably the key to our entire defense. If the position is well manned, that frees up Harris more, and allows the ends to attack. It protects our LB's as much as a cover 2 team can, and improves the run game.

A healthy Dusty could do this. The question is ... can we go into the year counting on Dusty and Anthony Adams basically? Can we count on Matt Toeaina/Babatunde Oshinowo/Jimmy Kennedy (Of the three, I don't expect Jimmy to be around in all honesty).

That said, my guess at what our draft might look like still loosely goes

1. OL (probably Williams if he's there)
2. QB (mid-2nd, my guess is that the options would be Brohm or Henne)
3a. RB (a ton of options are possible, ranging from Jamaal Charles, to Ray Rice, to Kevin Smith)
3b. WR (Jordy Nelson, Jerome Simpson, Will Franklin are some options)
4. OG (perhaps McGlynn, Thomas, Felton, Rinehart, Radovich, Lichtensteiger, and others as options)
5. S (a long way to go to figure out options, but Caleb Campbell, Tom Zbikowski, David Roach, Darnell Terrell could be some)
6. BPA (my preference would be DT/S/WR, some possibilities, Kurt Hout, Maurice Murray, Teraz McCray, Josh Thompson (mixed reports on where my might go), Richard Clebert (I think he could go much higher, but that's me), Josh Morgan, Marcus Smith, Arman Shields)
7. BPA (my guess is some stiff OL in the mold of Bryan Anderson, Tyler Reed, Aaron Brant; my preference would be DT/S/WR, whichever one was not addressed in the 6th)

Based upon the above expectations, a draft I wouldn't mind would be

1. Chris Williams
2. Chad Henne
3a. Jerome Simpson
3b. Kevin Smith
4. Chad Rinehart
5. Caleb Campbell
6. Arman Shields
7. Richard Clebert/Kurt Hout/Josh Thompson/Maurice Murray

On RB - I could honestly see Angelo decide to wait on RB and target someone like Mike Hart in the 4th/5th as well)

BeerBaron
03-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Based upon the above expectations, a draft I wouldn't mind would be

1. Chris Williams
2. Chad Henne
3a. Jerome Simpson
3b. Kevin Smith
4. Chad Rinehart
5. Caleb Campbell
6. Arman Shields
7. Richard Clebert/Kurt Hout/Josh Thompson/Maurice Murray

On RB - I could honestly see Angelo decide to wait on RB and target someone like Mike Hart in the 4th/5th as well)

i hate teh idea of drafting henne. cant stand it at all. itd be better than matt ryan but damn, ive seen henne play living in big 10 country over the past few years. i just dont like the guy.

he embodies everything thats bad about our current QBs, especially rex. theres no way id touch this guy.

in fact, a few months ago, i saw a segment on some espn show, college football live or countdown or something like that, and the question was "who will have a better pro career, chad henne or mike hart?"

and i, sitting there, was like, oh man its gonna be hart. how can it not be? henne's a decent college QB but the guys got no pro future. plus harts a running back. running backs almost always have better odds of being better pros because theres more niches they can fit into with the right team.

and to my surprise, and i dont remember what analysts were working that day, they each picked henne! i was stunned. and im like alright, that might be more of a hate on hart than a sign of like to henne.

but no! once again, i start seeing henne appearing in the top few rounds of teh draft.....needless to say i remain stunned to this day.

sure he would have good days most of the time against the more awful big ten teams, but nothing spectacular usually. a few times hed beat up penn state....grrrrrr.....but nonetheless. i saw this guy, if he had a pro career, it was as a career backup.

if we draft him, he offers nothing more than what KO can offer us now. in fact less because hes 2 inches shorter and carries with him many of rex's weaknesses.

just look at what scott has for him as weaknesses in his rankings. inconsistency, accuracy issues, struggles when pressured, only an inch taller than the already incredibly short rex, holds onto the ball too long, streaky, mistake prone......thats rex and a half for ya. a little KO too ill admit, but hes certainly no improvement over those guys.

even look at the strengths listed. first, theres a contradiction there. how in the hell can someone have a "quick release" yet "hold onto the football too long?" to quote hank hill, "that is completely asinine!"

secondly, "Has a ton of experience against top competition." HA! losing to it maybe....hed go around and whomp the purdues and northwesterns and indianas of the world and then take it up the hind end when he would play the ohio states of the world.....eff that!

id rather take anthony "deer in the headlights" morelli before id touch henne. and thats coming from someone in penn state country who just watched morelli ruin games for the past 2 years.

dont want henne, dont want matt ryan...i just want nothing to do with either of them

Gay Ork Wang
03-02-2008, 01:49 PM
I think the most important thing is that we need someone who doesnt struggle when pressured. Our Oline isnt that good yet and we dont need someone who basically gives the other team more chances. I think for us a good running back/game would be far more important than a good QB. In our run first offense we basically need someone who can hand the ball over and from now and then execute the PA Pass. Dont let us run twice and then turn the ball over

BeerBaron
03-02-2008, 01:52 PM
I think the most important thing is that we need someone who doesnt struggle when pressured. Our Oline isnt that good yet and we dont need someone who basically gives the other team more chances. I think for us a good running back/game would be far more important than a good QB. In our run first offense we basically need someone who can hand the ball over and from now and then execute the PA Pass. Dont let us run twice and then turn the ball over

lol, im still waiting for BF to come around and tell me how wrong i am on henne. but yeah, your right and i agree. i think KO can do the job if our D is healthy and we get a run game going.

easier said that done kind of stuff, but i think it all revolves around the run game first and foremost

bearsfan_51
03-02-2008, 02:23 PM
No I live in Big Ten country too. I've seen a lot of Henne and as a college quarterback I'd probably give him a B-

But, that Michigan program is ******. They took all kinds of great prospects and did nothing with them. I think Lloyd Carr's last 3-4 years there was one of the worst coaching efforts I've ever seen, so you have to keep that in mind.

In terms of being a prospect, Henne has good tools and you could see glimpses of greatness in college. I don't think he's a sure-fire shot at all, in fact if Brohm is still there at 44 I'd take him over Henne hands down. That said, for where the value is, it would be a good pick.

If you consider that John Beck, Drew Stanton and Kevin Kolb all went before the 44th pick in last year's draft, I would personally put Henne at least on par with those three, and probably a little higher.

As for toonster's mock, mine currently looks stunningly similar.

toonsterwu
03-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Just to be clear, I absolutely hate Henne. I've been on the record for awhile about that. That said, I could Angelo liking him. Certainly, you wish he had more ideal mechanics or delivery, but he's consistent with them and they aren't a big issue. He's got good arm strength and has played at a big program. Dunno, get the feeling that he could be the guy Angelo ends up targeting.

Edit: Didn't read BF's post until now. Random comment, I would probably put Kolb ahead (I was a huge fan), with Beck on the same level, and Henne ahead of Stanton. Personally, I would've put Edwards on the same level with Kolb.

BeerBaron
03-02-2008, 04:06 PM
No I live in Big Ten country too. I've seen a lot of Henne and as a college quarterback I'd probably give him a B-

But, that Michigan program is ******. They took all kinds of great prospects and did nothing with them. I think Lloyd Carr's last 3-4 years there was one of the worst coaching efforts I've ever seen, so you have to keep that in mind.

In terms of being a prospect, Henne has good tools and you could see glimpses of greatness in college. I don't think he's a sure-fire shot at all, in fact if Brohm is still there at 44 I'd take him over Henne hands down. That said, for where the value is, it would be a good pick.

If you consider that John Beck, Drew Stanton and Kevin Kolb all went before the 44th pick in last year's draft, I would personally put Henne at least on par with those three, and probably a little higher.

As for toonster's mock, mine currently looks stunningly similar.

oh i would take brohm over henne hands down ten times over. no question there. i just wouldnt want him in the first round because i dont think he has real stud potential. i could see him being a very good QB that would excel with talent around him.....idk, something like a marc bulger or matt hasselbeck. and i certainly wouldnt complain with either of those guys, but neither are tom brady or peyton manning and i think if you took away the talent those guys have had around them, theyre probably not nearly as good. i see that as about brohms ceiling, and i really wouldnt want someone like that at pick 14 when you could have a woodson or flacco or even someone like josh johnson who all the have the tools at least to become superstars rounds later...

as for the 3 last year, i dont remember enough specifics about them to make a case but in terms of nfl potential, i like at least stanton of that group. there were times he looked like a superstar in the making just to screw around and mess up the next game

anyway, in summation, dont want henne and will be pissed about having him for as long as hes a bear

Brothgar
03-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Hey guys I'm trying to get a mock FA/ Draft goin and the bears are astill open

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18848

DaBears0530
03-02-2008, 08:24 PM
so whats the deal with brendon ayabendejo?? do we have a chance?

Meta4
03-03-2008, 03:44 PM
so whats the deal with brendon ayabendejo?? do we have a chance?

I heard GB has some interest in him. I hope we make a play for him,hes a damn good ST players.

bearsfan_51
03-03-2008, 03:56 PM
I hope he leaves personally. We're already 8 deep at linebacker, and can fill special teams slots like cake.

He's over 30 and has an inflated sense of self-importance.

bearsfan_51
03-03-2008, 03:58 PM
By the way, I can't remember who I said we wouldn't get a draft pick for Brian Griese to, but I was amazingly wrong.

Granted it's a 2009 pick, and it'll probably be a 7th rounder, but still.

I also thought he had more money left on his deal, it's 3 years with about 6 million left. That's very reasonable for a backup QB.

Good luck Brian.

bearsfan_51
03-03-2008, 04:05 PM
I hope he leaves personally. We're already 8 deep at linebacker, and can fill special teams slots like cake.

Speak of the devil:

In other news, the Bears have decided to move forward without special teams standout Brendon Ayanbadejo, an unrestricted free agent who is slated to visit the New York Jets Monday.

WIth Adrian Peterson, Rod Wilson, Israel Idonije, Nick Roach and Jamar Williams all expected to help fill the void on the coverage and return teams, the Bears hope to maintain their ranking as the NFL's No. 1 special teams unit.

Chicago claimed that crown for the second straight year in 2007 after losing three key players in Cameron Worrell, Todd Johnson and Dante Wesley during the offseason. Worrell tied with Ayanbadejo for the team lead with 28 special-teams tackles in 2006, matching the team record set by Peterson in 2004.

That from the Bears website. I think re-signing Briggs pretty much sealed the deal there. Having Jamar Williams and Okwo as full-time special teams guys should cover the gap.

iowatreat54
03-03-2008, 04:09 PM

yea, I read that while also wanting to get a pay raise (granted, he deserves one), he also wants to compete for a starting LB spot...he said this past season that the Bears were at one point unhappy with Hillenmeyer's play and Smith told him he would get an opportunity to take his spot...that, combined with Rosenhaus being his agent, he thinks that he should be starting/competing at LB and worth a lot more than he is...he was a great player, but I'd rather see him go than overpay him

bearsfan_51
03-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Well that should pretty much do it for our own free agents, unless the team is hot on the heels of Antonio Garay.

AlexDown
03-03-2008, 04:41 PM
How potent of an offense do you see the Bears having next year?

bearsfan_51
03-03-2008, 05:35 PM
How potent of an offense do you see the Bears having next year?

What's the opposite of potent?

Hurricane Ditka
03-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Um, Impotent?

regoob2
03-03-2008, 06:12 PM
I was trying to think of something clever to say but I had nothing. Were gonna suck.

BeerBaron
03-03-2008, 06:19 PM
we might be a little potent until defenses figure out how to cover devin hester streaks....after that....ugh, lol

Hurricane Ditka
03-03-2008, 06:20 PM
The Bears need to pick up some ED medication.

iowatreat54
03-03-2008, 09:17 PM
The Bears need to pick up some ED medication.

I thought ED is when you can't get it up, not impotent...either way, if Benson $hits his pants again, our offense is pretty screwed

Smokey Joe
03-03-2008, 09:28 PM
after thinking about, unless we are going to draft Branden Albert and have him as our LG, I think it would be a good idea to bring back Ruben Brown on the cheap. RIght now, it is looking like St. Clair will be our starting LG.

regoob2
03-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Does Brown even wanna play?

bearsfan_51
03-03-2008, 09:32 PM
I'd rather have St. Clair than Brown. Brown was awful last year, worse then Metcalf, worse than St. Clair.

That said, I'd rather go with a guy like Drew Radovich or Roy Schuening in the 3rd round. Let's face it, we're rebuilding on offense so we might as well go the whole nine yards.

5 picks in the first 4 rounds. Offensive Tackle, Quarterback, Runningback, Guard, Wide Receiver. Yep.

BeerBaron
03-03-2008, 09:41 PM
I'd rather have St. Clair than Brown. Brown was awful last year, worse then Metcalf, worse than St. Clair.

That said, I'd rather go with a guy like Drew Radovich or Roy Schuening in the 3rd round. Let's face it, we're rebuilding on offense so we might as well go the whole nine yards.

5 picks in the first 4 rounds. Offensive Tackle, Quarterback, Runningback, Guard, Wide Receiver. Yep.

you know, if thats how its got to be, id prefer to just take the best quarterback available with our last pick in that grouping...

that way we wont have ryan or henne, lol. so tahts good for me.

plus, lets think about this

lets say we are terrible. we end up with a top 5 pick, etc etc. why invest a 2nd rounder in QB this year when we could just grab the best one available next year (and hope its not another overrated as hell matt ryan type) that 2nd rounder investment this year might badly turn us off to that when it might be a neccassary step in rebuilding at that point.

plus it wont be chad henne. cant go wrong with a non-chad henne

regoob2
03-04-2008, 07:58 AM
I like Matt Ryan. He's smart and has great size. I wouldn't want him if I had a top 3-5 pick but he would be an absolute steal at 14.

Gay Ork Wang
03-04-2008, 10:11 AM
That guy next year might be Tim Tebow...

BeerBaron
03-04-2008, 11:47 AM
I like Matt Ryan. He's smart and has great size. I wouldn't want him if I had a top 3-5 pick but he would be an absolute steal at 14.

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

and some more no's. i wouldnt touch matt ryan at all. the guy WILL bust.

go look up either earlier in this thread or in another one where i talked about how bad he is.

the jist of what i said there was that he had 1 good 4 minute period against VT and was average at best everywhere else.

he threw 19 picks in college. 19 picks. in college. YOU CANT DO THAT!?!?!?

how do so many people love this guy? ill never know...but i wouldnt go near a guy who turns it over that much IN COLLEGE.

and the acc is down big time and you dont get to play many wake forests or armys or bowling greens or notre dames to pad the rest of your stats on in an NFL season

i would not go near matt ryan with a draft pick

Gay Ork Wang
03-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Then again, his receiver sucked

BeerBaron
03-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Then again, his receiver sucked

our receivers havent really proven that they can be all that much better.

even if we had a young moss, a young TO, a young jerry rice....i still wouldnt touch matt ryan with a first round pick.

though, admittedly, if we had those guys, my grandma might be able to be a pro bowl QB throwing to them......

SFbear
03-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Do we get any compensation for Jimmy Kennedy from the Jaguars if we don't match the tender offer?

BeerBaron
03-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Do we get any compensation for Jimmy Kennedy from the Jaguars if we don't match the tender offer?

i do not believe so. we just have the right to match i think

regoob2
03-04-2008, 06:55 PM
go look up either earlier in this thread or in another one where i talked about how bad he is.

the jist of what i said there was that he had 1 good 4 minute period against VT and was average at best everywhere else.

he threw 19 picks in college. 19 picks. in college. YOU CANT DO THAT!?!?!?

how do so many people love this guy? ill never know...but i wouldnt go near a guy who turns it over that much IN COLLEGE.

and the acc is down big time and you dont get to play many wake forests or armys or bowling greens or notre dames to pad the rest of your stats on in an NFL season

I understand what your saying but I don't care. lol. I like Matt Ryan and I love his gunslinger attitude. I see it as more of confidence than just stupid grossman-esque chuck up into coverage. Matt Ryan has all the tools you look for in a qb other than elite arm strength. He's got the "IT".

BeerBaron
03-04-2008, 07:13 PM
I understand what your saying but I don't care. lol. I like Matt Ryan and I love his gunslinger attitude. I see it as more of confidence than just stupid grossman-esque chuck up into coverage. Matt Ryan has all the tools you look for in a qb other than elite arm strength. He's got the "IT".

the "it" the "it" the "it"...

tired of hearing that. "it" doesnt mean **** when the ball ends up in the hands of DBs unless "it" is that your a hell of a tackler for a QB (anyone remember phillip rivers rookie preseason powerbomb? that was awesome...)

so matt ryan has "it". alright. nobody short of the most hardcore giants fans would have said eli possessed anything close to "it" until he suddenly found it last postseason. and peyton seemed to be without "it" for years. didnt get get destroyed by the jets in the postseason like 41-0? it was laughable just awful he was in the postseason. then he suddenly found "it", beat the pats and got to a superbowl where he wasnt that good but the colts run game and rex's incompetence won that one for the colts.

my point is, you have to be a good quarterback and have "it". so matt ryan's got "it." he also threw 19 picks, blew off the senior bowl because he was too scared of other qbs showing him up, and, other than 4 minutes vs. VT looked like your everyday average college QB who throws 19 picks.

regoob2
03-04-2008, 07:16 PM
the "it" the "it" the "it"...

tired of hearing that. "it" doesnt mean **** when the ball ends up in the hands of DBs unless "it" is that your a hell of a tackler for a QB (anyone remember phillip rivers rookie preseason powerbomb? that was awesome...)

so matt ryan has "it". alright. nobody short of the most hardcore giants fans would have said eli possessed anything close to "it" until he suddenly found it last postseason. and peyton seemed to be without "it" for years. didnt get get destroyed by the jets in the postseason like 41-0? it was laughable just awful he was in the postseason. then he suddenly found "it", beat the pats and got to a superbowl where he wasnt that good but the colts run game and rex's incompetence won that one for the colts.

my point is, you have to be a good quarterback and have "it". so matt ryan's got "it." he also threw 19 picks, blew off the senior bowl because he was too scared of other qbs showing him up, and, other than 4 minutes vs. VT looked like your everyday average college QB who throws 19 picks.Since your not a fan on Matt Ryan or Peyton Manning then when should we address qb? You wanna wait for the next Elway?

BeerBaron
03-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Since your not a fan on Matt Ryan or Peyton Manning then when should we address qb? You wanna wait for the next Elway?

peyton was always good but he just didnt have that "win in the posteason" kind of it that far lesser QBs turned out to have now and again.

as for ryan, i just dont want ryan. and i dont want henne.

given that theyre available where the value is right, i wouldnt mind most of the other QB's available this year. flacco in the 2nd, sure why not. woodson in the 3rd, ok. other guys later than that? sure....

i just dont like ryan as a pro prospect and dont want to suffer through 4 or so years of watching him crash and burn as we waste the rest of urlachers career as well as our defense in general.

regoob2
03-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Why would you rather have Flacco in the 2nd then Ryan in the 1st?

BeerBaron
03-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Why would you rather have Flacco in the 2nd then Ryan in the 1st?

less investment therefore less risk. still frees us up to use that first rounder on either a guy to protect whoever our QB is or a RB to hand it off to. or possibly in some scenario a WR to throw to or a DT or S to help stop the other team. anyway, the point is we can use that first rounder somewhere else.

plus, not taking a guy in the first round significantly reduces the expectations on him as well as the other QB's who would be playing ahead of him at first. if we took a QB in the first, it would only take one or two bad games by whoever else is playing QB to start the demands for the rookie and often, those demands are very premature. if the rookie gives our team the best chance to win, the coaches would realize that and play him when hes ready. the fans calling for the first qb's head have no idea at what stage of development the rookie would be at.

also, i feel that if you take a QB in the first round, you had better damn well think he is the best thing since sliced bread. if you simply take the guy "whos there," your asking for trouble. and if ryan is there when we pick at 14, he fits the description very very well at that point as a guy who "is just there." quarterbacks arent something you can play around with and constantly be switching around if you want to be a successful team. so if you dont like the guy whos there, as i dont with ryan, then you can't take him. you just can't or its asking for a world of hurt...

regoob2
03-04-2008, 07:48 PM
less investment therefore less risk. still frees us up to use that first rounder on either a guy to protect whoever our QB is or a RB to hand it off to. or possibly in some scenario a WR to throw to or a DT or S to help stop the other team. anyway, the point is we can use that first rounder somewhere else.

plus, not taking a guy in the first round significantly reduces the expectations on him as well as the other QB's who would be playing ahead of him at first. if we took a QB in the first, it would only take one or two bad games by whoever else is playing QB to start the demands for the rookie and often, those demands are very premature. if the rookie gives our team the best chance to win, the coaches would realize that and play him when hes ready. the fans calling for the first qb's head have no idea at what stage of development the rookie would be at.

also, i feel that if you take a QB in the first round, you had better damn well think he is the best thing since sliced bread. if you simply take the guy "whos there," your asking for trouble. and if ryan is there when we pick at 14, he fits the description very very well at that point as a guy who "is just there." quarterbacks arent something you can play around with and constantly be switching around if you want to be a successful team. so if you dont like the guy whos there, as i dont with ryan, then you can't take him. you just can't or its asking for a world of hurt...First thanks for walking me through each position and what they do, I wasn't sure that WR catch and DT and S stop the other team.;)

But what your saying doesn't make any sense to me. You want a guy to give us an impact now while Urlacher and our D is young but you want Flacco or some late rounder that wouldn't sniff the field til 2010? And your talking like stupid fans (not saying you are one) when saying they would call for the rookie qb to soon. Who gives a s**t what the fans call for. Do you honestly believe the coaching staff cares what the fans call for. And by taking a qb in round 1 he doesn't have to be the next best thing since sliced bread especially in Chicago since we've never had a qb and good and non pre-sliced bread. If you want a qb that would play right away then you should want Ryan.

I don't know why were even going back and forth about this like Ryan will even be there when we pick. This is like my argument last year with sweetness about Joe Staley knowing he also wouldn't be there when we pick.

BeerBaron
03-04-2008, 07:55 PM
First thanks for walking me through each position and what they do, I wasn't sure that WR catch and DT and S stop the other team.;)

But what your saying doesn't make any sense to me. You want a guy to give us an impact now while Urlacher and our D is young but you want Flacco or some late rounder that wouldn't sniff the field til 2010? And your talking like stupid fans (not saying you are one) when saying they would call for the rookie qb to soon. Who gives a s**t what the fans call for. Do you honestly believe the coaching staff cares what the fans call for. And by taking a qb in round 1 he doesn't have to be the next best thing since sliced bread especially in Chicago since we've never had a qb and good and non pre-sliced bread. If you want a qb that would play right away then you should want Ryan.

I don't know why were even going back and forth about this like Ryan will even be there when we pick. This is like my argument last year with sweetness about Joe Staley knowing he also wouldn't be there when we pick.

well lets think about this. i dont know why we're arguing either by the way because i know he wont be there either. but for arguments sake...

fans do call for rookie quarterbacks basically from the second the season starts, and often times from the second they are drafted. and your right, who cares about what the fans think. however, its the fans who are buying the tickets and supporting the team. get enough fans pissed off for long enough and suddenly we have a detroit "fire millen" type campaign going . the coaches who arent playing the rookie pay the price with thier jobs....its just a terrible situation.

and your right, i dont want to see our defense and especially urlacher go to waste. thats why i dont want a guy i dont like in ryan. now, if a QB i really did like were available at our first pick and was worth it there, id be all for it. but no one like that is likely to be our first round pick, so id rather just wait until a round or two later, invest less and take a lessened risk, and still get a need filled. ya know?

im not against quarterbacks, just ryan. (and henne, and sometimes other guys too, but who isnt?) i just dont like him as a prospect. im sure theres plenty of prospects in this draft who you dont like and wouldnt want. i have plenty...

i think your confusing my dislike of ryan as a pro QB for me not wanting to go QB at all which really isnt the case. but hes the only one people tell me is worth going that high and i dont want him. simple as taht

regoob2
03-04-2008, 08:08 PM
I think you just hate rookie QBs.

BeerBaron
03-04-2008, 08:38 PM
I think you just hate rookie QBs.

not true. i just dont like ryan.

the other year when KO was a rookie, i was all for him. and craig krenzel before that.

if we were to say, for example, draft an andre woodson in round 3 or so, id be all for that. "fantastic!" you could probably quote me saying on draft day.

i just dont like matt ryan. or henne. or brohm in the first round. or trading back into the first round for someone like flacco. theyre all not worth it to me there...

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Bears signed Marty Booker. 2 years.

Tis a good move. I'd rather have D.J Hackett, but we just needed one reliable receiver.

Smokey Joe
03-04-2008, 08:45 PM
good move, good to have Booker back... we could still use D.J. Hackett however. I think Hackett is more like Berrian more so then Moose.

BeerBaron
03-04-2008, 08:51 PM
booker ill take. he can just be a sure set of hands if nothing else while we develop someone on the other side

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 08:52 PM
I agree with you Smokey, but I think the FA would rather allow Bradley/Hester to try and fill that role.

Hester can certainly do all of the deep ball things Berrian did.

Smokey Joe
03-04-2008, 08:56 PM
my rational behind such a move would be the fact that Booker is old and would be our no. 2 (actually, no. 1) for only a couple of years and Hackett can be our no. 2 for several years.

BeerBaron
03-04-2008, 08:57 PM
I agree with you Smokey, but I think the FA would rather allow Bradley/Hester to try and fill that role.

Hester can certainly do all of the deep ball things Berrian did.

aye yeah, id agree. id rather give that #2 spot to hester and/or bradley. maybe throw in a mid round rookie just for some competition and future development.

i still think using 2 TE's will be by far our best offensive set

BeerBaron
03-04-2008, 08:58 PM
my rational behind such a move would be the fact that Booker is old and would be our no. 2 (actually, no. 1) for only a couple of years and Hackett can be our no. 2 for several years.

the problem with that though is that id rather be giving someone like hester reps as a starter opposite booker. if we get hackett, it becomes a little harder to do that since our 1 and 2 would be set for the time being then

awfullyquiet
03-04-2008, 09:02 PM

as a graduate of BC (and someone who's watched every BC game and has been to two of them). I have to rightfully disagree with you. I don't know how much film you've seen. But he's worked with less than even JR did last year. Andre Callender is sub-par at best, and Ryan put up that.

The reason why Ryan at least i'm okay with ryan is that he has the intangables, he does fit the biscuit in the basket. he does rise to the challenge. his receivers gave up say 8 of those INT's because of their bad route running or dropping it into a defenders hands (vomit, i can't remember which game it was, but it makes me hurt to think of).

He's got presence, He's a more accurate, calmer, better specimen than henne.

but he's not for the bears.

Smokey Joe
You know what, I'm not really all that excited about Hester being a starter until he can prove he can catch, and actually be able to show he knows what the **** he is doing. I'd rather see him get another year to develop and see how it goes.

Bradley, he hasn't shown he can catch since 05 as well.

k0ng
ehhhhhh on Booker. I wanted him when we still had Bernard. Still a decent signing. We might be okay at WR IF(Big If) Bradley can stay healthy. We can probably draft a WR in the 3rd. I just hope it is not before that.

It is our running game and o-line that will make our offense go.

Anyways, anyone know what our cap space is looking like?

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 09:04 PM
How do they prove they can catch if we don't throw them the ball?

k0ng
03-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Btw Bearsfan I'm going to have to jack that sig from you. Me likey.

BeerBaron
03-04-2008, 09:08 PM
as a graduate of BC (and someone who's watched every BC game and has been to two of them). I have to rightfully disagree with you. I don't know how much film you've seen. But he's worked with less than even JR did last year. Andre Callender is sub-par at best, and Ryan put up that.

The reason why Ryan at least i'm okay with ryan is that he has the intangables, he does fit the biscuit in the basket. he does rise to the challenge. his receivers gave up say 8 of those INT's because of their bad route running or dropping it into a defenders hands (vomit, i can't remember which game it was, but it makes me hurt to think of).

He's got presence, He's a more accurate, calmer, better specimen than henne.

but he's not for the bears.

well your just as entitled to your own opinion as anyone is but i still wouldnt touch matt ryan.

youve also somewhat defeated your argument with your own comments. great quarterbacks with top notch intangibles make the players around them better than they really are.

look at the receivers favre has had over the years. they werent the biggest, or fastest, late round pics most of em....yet he tore it up and turned those guys into 1000 yards receivers on more than a few occassions. same goes for marino. a lot of times the offense around him were guys pulled off the streets yet he broke and set all kinds of records despite them.

if ryan were one of the greats, he would have turned the offense he had around him into players better than they really were. instead, as you say, the reverse happened and they made him look worse. thats no good.....

say what you will but my opinion is that i do not want matt ryan. i only hope the phins, falcons or ravens make sure hes not even on the board when we pick....

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 09:10 PM
ehhhhhh on Booker. I wanted him when we still had Bernard. Still a decent signing. We might be okay at WR IF(Big If) Bradley can stay healthy. We can probably draft a WR in the 3rd. I just hope it is not before that.

It is our running game and o-line that will make our offense go.

Anyways, anyone know what our cap space is looking like?
I haven't seen the way Lance's contract is structured, but if it's a pretty standard layout I'm guessing we're at about 17 million under the cap (pre-Booker). Our rookie pool will probably be about 5 million.

BeerBaron
03-04-2008, 09:12 PM
so with one of our starting receiver spots locked down, lets open up the "what receivers should we look at in rounds 3-4?" topic

im going to float the adrian arrington boat again, though id be pretty happy with quite a few guys id suspect will still be available at that point

Smokey Joe
03-04-2008, 09:12 PM
How do they prove they can catch if we don't throw them the ball?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQh5Cx-EuV8

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 09:15 PM
I actually wouldn't lock Booker into a starting spot. I wouldn't be suprised if Bradley-Hester aren't still our top two guys, but this is at least a little bit of a security blanket.

awfullyquiet
03-04-2008, 09:16 PM
well your just as entitled to your own opinion as anyone is but i still wouldnt touch matt ryan.

youve also somewhat defeated your argument with your own comments. great quarterbacks with top notch intangibles make the players around them better than they really are.

look at the receivers favre has had over the years. they werent the biggest, or fastest, late round pics most of em....yet he tore it up and turned those guys into 1000 yards receivers on more than a few occassions. same goes for marino. a lot of times the offense around him were guys pulled off the streets yet he broke and set all kinds of records despite them.

if ryan were one of the greats, he would have turned the offense he had around him into players better than they really were. instead, as you say, the reverse happened and they made him look worse. thats no good.....

say what you will but my opinion is that i do not want matt ryan. i only hope the phins, falcons or ravens make sure hes not even on the board when we pick....

andre callender had 700 yds from the backfield. gunnell had 900. you can't throw for 4300 yards and not make the guys around you look good. he spread the ball out. had the vision element. if he actually had a team, like the dolphins, i wouldn't be surprised to see him ass kicking in 4 years.

k0ng
03-04-2008, 09:17 PM
I haven't seen the way Lance's contract is structured, but if it's a pretty standard layout I'm guessing we're at about 17 million under the cap (pre-Booker). Our rookie pool will probably be about 5 million.

I would say I hope we sign someone. But damn, who's left thats even close to being worth it?

regoob2
03-04-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm glad to see Booker comeback. I think he will be the starter.

regoob2
03-04-2008, 09:27 PM
I would say I hope we sign someone. But damn, who's left thats even close to being worth it?OL Maurice Williams. I'm riding his bandwagon hard right now.

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 09:28 PM
I imagine they are probably going to bulk a lot of them to sign Tommie to his massive extension (or keep it large enough so that they can franchise him).

Robbie Gould should probably get about 2 mil per season.

Hester probably about 4-5.

Tommie probably 9-10.

Of course you can structure and play with those numbers as well.

Smokey Joe
03-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Mo Williams would be a very good fit at RT. I'd then probably take Albert w/ no. 14. either Albert or Williams and have Williams at LG to start out.

regoob2
03-04-2008, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't prefer Albert in the 1st that would be a pretty good sized reach, I'd prefer Gosder over Albert. but yeah I want Williams.

Any word on how much Booker is getting?

BeerBaron
03-04-2008, 09:37 PM
if we did sign maurice, and he played RT, id still be for us taking chris williams and having him start out at LG as was pointed out. he could still be groomed to take over at LT in a few years

regoob2
03-04-2008, 09:46 PM
if we did sign maurice, and he played RT, id still be for us taking chris williams and having him start out at LG as was pointed out. he could still be groomed to take over at LT in a few years
No way, if we signed him I still hope we go Chris Williams in round 1. Maurice would play guard which he did in Jacksonville last year. Maurice also has experience at LT.

Hurricane Ditka
03-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Booker Is Back!

regoob2
03-04-2008, 09:52 PM
^Not trying to bust ur ballz but you know Tank got out right? :)

Hurricane Ditka
03-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Find me a better sig and I'll wear it.

DaBears0530
03-04-2008, 10:00 PM
how about josh beeckman. what do you guys see his role in the future as?

awfullyquiet
03-04-2008, 10:10 PM
how about josh beeckman. what do you guys see his role in the future as?

center. and/or backup guard.

BeerBaron
03-04-2008, 10:30 PM
yeah i hear beek is being groomed as the backup/possibly replacement of kreutz

Smokey Joe
03-05-2008, 11:12 PM
I met Tom Zbikowski today... first impression was that he was jacked, his arms are huge.

He said that the Bears have talked to him and he would love to get drafted by the Bears.

bearsfan_51
03-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Did you talk to him about Joe Flacco?

iowatreat54
03-06-2008, 12:01 AM
I met Tom Zbikowski today... first impression was that he was jacked, his arms are huge.

He said that the Bears have talked to him and he would love to get drafted by the Bears.

oh yea well I ran against him in track in high school...so there!!

I wouldn't mind the Bears taking him on day 2, he's not a great coverage safety but he seems to gravitate to the ball and lay the hammer when he hits

DaBear89
03-06-2008, 12:02 AM

i envy you
<- Notre Dame fan (plz no jokes)

DaBear89
03-06-2008, 12:08 AM
I wouldn't mind the Bears taking him on day 2, he's not a great coverage safety but he seems to gravitate to the ball and lay the hammer when he hits

i think people underrate his coverage skills. i may be a slight homer here but he's def got the ability to be a good S in the NFL. with some better D coaching (no offense to weis) which we seem to have plenty of i think he would be a good replacement to mike brown. he's got a good nose for the ball and hits like a truck. with some coaching to help him learn how to not overreact(PA pass) and things of that nature, which can definitely can be solved in a player, i think he'll be good. i wouldn't mind him in the 4th

dabears10
03-06-2008, 12:34 AM
i think people underrate his coverage skills. i may be a slight homer here but he's def got the ability to be a good S in the NFL. with some better D coaching (no offense to weis) which we seem to have plenty of i think he would be a good replacement to mike brown. he's got a good nose for the ball and hits like a truck. with some coaching to help him learn how to not overreact(PA pass) and things of that nature, which can definitely can be solved in a player, i think he'll be good. i wouldn't mind him in the 4th

I think he is very similar to Adam Archuleta. Both good and bad. Great athletes good size everything. Also with Cover skills. They both get lost when they must cover in space and make bad lines to the football. It would be a younger Archuleta. And this is from an ND fan as well.

VoteLynnSwan
03-06-2008, 12:49 AM
Find me a better sig and I'll wear it.

not possible.

DaBear89
03-06-2008, 03:03 AM
I think he is very similar to Adam Archuleta. Both good and bad. Great athletes good size everything. Also with Cover skills. They both get lost when they must cover in space and make bad lines to the football. It would be a younger Archuleta. And this is from an ND fan as well.

the archy comparison is def there but i think ...well hope, Zbi can be taught out of those bad habits and become a better S. if nothing else he would prolly make a good STer

BeerBaron
03-06-2008, 09:24 AM
well the young archuleta was a monster. i remember seeing him with the rams real early in his career and he was a monster. his coverage was never that good but back then i think he might have just had a little more true speed on his side to make up for it.

though hes still quite the athlete, watching him last year he just seemed a step or two slower and it made him look even worse in coverage...idk.

since hes only being paid the minimum, id like to keep him around as a good locker room presence and for special teams.

and i wouldnt mind zbi as long as it was after the 3rd round. 4th, 5th, sure. he could certaintly be another special teams monster initially while he learns the position and gets some of the best defensive coaching

Gay Ork Wang
03-06-2008, 11:49 AM
According to a league source, the Ravens have agreed to terms with special teams ace Brendon Ayanbadejo.

It's a four-year, $4.9 million deal, with a $1.9 million signing bonus

Why would the Ravens sign an old LB?

regoob2
03-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Cause he's a pro bowl ST player.

BeerBaron
03-06-2008, 12:05 PM
yeah special teams mostly. thats really all hes good for but hes good at it

dabears10
03-06-2008, 01:07 PM
yeah special teams mostly. thats really all hes good for but hes good at it

They have a ST orientated Head Coach. They probably want to start strong in special teams and go from their.

Gay Ork Wang
03-06-2008, 01:10 PM
with Yamon Figurs i guess, the Eagles sucked in ST though last year

bearsfan_51
03-06-2008, 01:12 PM
To play special teams. That's not an unreasonable contract, but I'm still glad we let him go. We've got enough younger linebackers that can run down the field and hit things.

BeerBaron
03-06-2008, 01:14 PM
To play special teams. That's not an unreasonable contract, but I'm still glad we let him go. We've got enough younger linebackers that can run down the field and hit things.

tahts a good way to put that.

add in that we wont need jamar or AP to start so theres 2 good bodies right there....

SFbear
03-06-2008, 03:12 PM
On the topic of ST and Ayanbadejo:

Larry: With Brendon Ayanbadejo signing with the Ravens, who will replace him on special teams?

Harry H.
Thousand Oaks, California

Harry: Safety Kevin Payne and linebacker Nick Roach are two of the top candidates to replace Brendon Ayanbadejo as the speedy and disruptive first-man-down-the-field on the Bears coverage teams. Special teams coordinator Dave Toub is especially high on Payne, believing that the second-year safety possesses the temperament, attitude and speed to excel in that role. Payne is expected to contribute in 2008 missing the final 12 games of his rookie season last year with a broken arm sustained in a loss in Detroit.

bearsfan_51
03-06-2008, 03:14 PM
That's nice that Roach has a real shot to make the roster. I liked him and Toenaia at the end of the season.

BeerBaron
03-06-2008, 03:20 PM
That's nice that Roach has a real shot to make the roster. I liked him and Toenaia at the end of the season.

i liked what little i saw of Toenaia at the end there myself. if we picked up a mid round rookie DT and dusty got healthy, id like to see him kept in there as the 4th DT instead of anthony adams...

prolly not good odds on that though, unless we keep around 5 DTs

bearsfan_51
03-06-2008, 03:54 PM
I like Anthony Adams as a true NT. I thought he did a nice job last year.

LonghornsLegend
03-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Im guessing Mark Bradley is starting for you guys next year, I cant wait to see what he can do is he stays healthy, he would always impress when he got to consistently see the field.

BeerBaron
03-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Im guessing Mark Bradley is starting for you guys next year, I cant wait to see what he can do is he stays healthy, he would always impress when he got to consistently see the field.

well he and hester will likely complete for the starting spot opposite of booker who sort of gets one by default through experience.

but like you said, health is always bradleys concern

skinzzfan25
03-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Brandon Lloyd!@#@$@$

WOOOOO~!!!!!!!!!

Gay Ork Wang
03-07-2008, 03:57 PM
well at least no long term deal. Couldnt be worse than our whole WR Corp

bearsfan_51
03-07-2008, 04:04 PM
I expect really nothing from him. I can understand why he gets so much heat from Redskins fans because they gave up so much from him and got little in return, but for a one year contract with I'm sure little guaranteed, it's fine to bring him in to camp and see if Ron Turner can do anything for his career. Lord knows we need the bodies.

MidwayMonster31
03-07-2008, 04:11 PM
If Lloyd gets his head straight, he could be good. But don't count on it.

Geo
03-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Eh, I guess the Bears can take a flier on him, seeing if he wins a job through TC and the preseason as bf51 said. Maybe the biggest benefit if that it creates more competition/motivation for Bradley, I suppose.

pellepelle_10
03-07-2008, 04:41 PM
If Lloyd gets his head straight, he could be good. But don't count on it.

The only good thing we have going is Lloyd played for Turner in College at Illinois. He's making the minimum so I'm not upset but what the hell happened to bring in Bryant Johnson. The guy hasn't signed yet and we just give up on it? I'm confused on that.

LonghornsLegend
03-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Brandon LLoyd is good for one really sick one handed catch a year at least, but in all seriousness the money probably made him lazy, no reason he cant come in on 4 wr sets and make an impact.

BeerBaron
03-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Brandon LLoyd is good for one really sick one handed catch a year at least, but in all seriousness the money probably made him lazy, no reason he cant come in on 4 wr sets and make an impact.

there is a reason, hes been awful short of 1 catch in his career. im glad hes getting the minimum though....hes not worth a penny more.

bearsfan_51
03-07-2008, 07:08 PM
He wouldn't even make that if they cut him before the season starts.

BeerBaron
03-07-2008, 07:24 PM
He wouldn't even make that if they cut him before the season starts.

yeah, the more ive thought about it the less frustrated i am with it.

if he doesnt make it, then at least his roster spot goes to someone: a.) better without alligator arms and b.) can probably play special teams

regoob2
03-07-2008, 08:24 PM
We really don't have a choice we need to bring in someone. What if Bradley gets hurt again, we got Hester as a full time starter? no thanks. He should be a solid back up and I think he'll make the squad.

Geo
03-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Marty Booker is a starter walking in the door, no?

Smokey Joe
03-07-2008, 08:29 PM
over/under on how many catches Lloyd gets next season... I'll say 5.

bearsfan_51
03-07-2008, 08:33 PM
If he makes the roster it'll be more than 5 since I don't believe he's much of a special teamer.

That said I don't think he does, so I say none.

BeerBaron
03-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Marty Booker is a starter walking in the door, no?

based on experience alone, yes, for now....

bradley's hurt all the time, lloyd sucks, and hester could use another year of work at WR before being a full fledged starter there.....

so i think booker might just accidentally have the #1 spot for now.

and for the lloyd, i hope he doesnt make the roster like 51 says, so under 5 for me.

SFbear
03-07-2008, 09:58 PM
The biggest problem I have with Lloyd is that he refuses to play ST. We don't need to be wasting roster spots on a backups who are afraid to get their hands dirty.

BeerBaron
03-07-2008, 10:00 PM
The biggest problem I have with Lloyd is that he refuses to play ST. We don't need to be wasting roster spots on a backups who are afraid to get their hands dirty.

very true. which im hoping leads to what 51 has been saying and him not even making the roster.

even a rookie drafted in the 7th round would contribute more, even just as a special teamer....

bearfan
03-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Just read an article by Nick Hut in the NW Herald about the Lloyd signing.

Brandon Lloyd, the wide receiver who signed with the Bears on Friday, sounded as though he already knows who will start at quarterback next season.

“Rex Grossman is the starter,” Lloyd said during a conference call.

Lloyd had spoken earlier in the day with offensive coordinator Ron Turner. Did Turner inadvertently leak the outcome of what the Bears say will be a straight-up competition between Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton?

Turner pulled Lloyd off the line for a second to clarify the situation.

“Open competition is what I’m being told right now,” Lloyd came back on and said.

“When I talked to Brandon about the quarterback situation, I talked about Rex Grossman and Kyle,” Turner said to reporters. “We’ve got two guys who can get the ball to all of our receivers.”

http://www.nwherald.com/articles/2008/03/08/sports/nfl/bears/doc47d27bbbd6209973038188.txt

Thoughts?

Another Article more in depth about it:
http://www6.comcast.net/sports/articles/nfl/2008/03/07/Bears-Lloyd/

BeerBaron
03-08-2008, 09:51 AM
rex? no! cmon now....KO should have every oppurtunity heading into next year. i feel that he gives the best chance of winning just because he hangs onto the football a lot better than rex....

but then again its brandon lloyd, what the hell does he know other than being awful?

Gay Ork Wang
03-08-2008, 10:26 AM
then again, uve got to say Grossman made some good throw after being reinstated.

regoob2
03-08-2008, 10:34 AM
I hope Orton "wins" the qb battle. I don't want to give it to either really. I hope one of them actually win it though.

k0ng
03-09-2008, 12:52 PM
So I take it the organization has absolutely no faith in Hass and Rideau.

bearsfan_51
03-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Why would they? What has either play ever done in their NFL careers to be given anything more than an outside chance to make the team?

k0ng
03-09-2008, 01:15 PM
You think at least that they would give them a shot instead of scraping the bottom of the FA barrel. I don't have much faith in them either, was just pointing it out. I wouldn't be surprised if both of them are cut before the season starts.

bearsfan_51
03-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Well that's what training camp is for. You're reading into a 1 year signing a bit too much here, I don't expect any three of them to make the roster.

Gay Ork Wang
03-09-2008, 04:07 PM
still, i wouldve liked 2 see these 2 guys on the field just like beekman. Just to see what we got

bearsfan_51
03-10-2008, 11:12 AM
For those of you concerned with the Lloyd signing....

Wide receiver Brandon Lloyd signed a one-year contract for the minimum-salary benefit. He receives a $40,000 workout bonus and will earn base pay of $605,000, but count only $485,000 vs. the salary cap.

regoob2
03-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Nothing else to talk about so here goes. I assume we all have a bears mock draft that we think about so here's mine.
1. Chris Williams OT
2. Malcolm Kelly WR
3a. Chilo Rachal OG
3b. Andre Woodson QB
4. Kevin Smith RB

Let me know what you think and post yours.

bearsfan_51
03-13-2008, 12:20 AM
Nothing else to talk about so here goes. I assume we all have a bears mock draft that we think about so here's mine.
1. Chris Williams OT
2. Malcolm Kelly WR
3a. Chilo Rachal OG
3b. Andre Woodson QB
4. Kevin Smith RB

Let me know what you think and post yours.

There's about as much chance of me getting a golden toilet as there is of Malcolm Kelly falling to the mid-2nd round.

Doubtful that Rachal or Smith are were you have them either.

Geo
03-13-2008, 12:59 AM
I think Kelly is going to exposed some when he finally tests - unless he pulls a Lendale White, which will also hurt him - but even then he might not reach the Bears' 2nd round pick as bf51 says.

regoob2
03-13-2008, 08:29 AM
I think Dwayne Jarrett was a better prospect than Kelly and Jarrett fell to the mid 2nd. Not only could I see it happen but I think it will. I doubt he goes in the 1st.

Bearsfan123
03-13-2008, 10:18 AM
My actual mock so not what I want to happen per say
1.Chris Williams- Knowing that the O-line needs to be addressed high JA picks the guy with a high ceiling and can step in right away at RT
2.Joe Flacco- Another move to bring in competition and show the public he is trying to address the teams needs.
3a-Roy Scheuing- Needs a Guard, gets the BPA at the position
3b-Andre Caldwell- Heres our WR.

bearsfan_51
03-13-2008, 10:19 AM
I think Dwayne Jarrett was a better prospect than Kelly and Jarrett fell to the mid 2nd. Not only could I see it happen but I think it will. I doubt he goes in the 1st.
Dwayne Jarrett's a bum. Fans liked him. Scouts didn't.

bearsfan_51
03-13-2008, 10:20 AM
My current actual mock has Otah at 14 and Brian Brohm at 44. That's about as far as I've gotten. Still working on it.

Geo
03-13-2008, 11:13 AM
I completely disliked Jarrett and thought he would be a bust/out of the league before the Draft even happened. It doesn't surprise me he's doing nothing in Carolina, nor do I expect him to. Soon enough he'll wear a few more jerseys in the next few years and then be gone from the league sooner rather than later. Amazing that he went ahead of Steve Smith, who can actually play.

Jarrett's one more in a tall bust heap for Southern Cal. I don't think Fred Davis will live up to the hype either, I'd gladly take Dustin Keller of Purdue instead in terms of hybrid WRs (which is what I term guys like Dallas Clark).

To bring it back to the Bears, seems like Chris Brown is going to sign with the Houston Texans. Eh, no big loss I think, the Texans are a better fit for him than Chicago imo. Although they were interested in him last year too, right?

TacticaLion
03-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Bears fans...

There are quite a few of you that are active on NFLDC. And, most of you know what the Bears organization needs to be successful.

Dirty Thirty, ATL and D-Unit started a mock Madden league. Not only will you control the team through the draft and FA, but you'll lead your team through the 2008 season. The rosters are updated, depth charts are submitted and the games are simulated.

The Bears are one of the few teams still available, and that surprises me. If interested, check out the thread: http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19373.

The draft is this Sunday. Sign up.

bearsfan_51
03-13-2008, 02:01 PM
I could give a monkey's nipple about Chris Brown. If we sign him, neat. If we don't, neat. I want our two back system to consist of rookie/Benson, in either order. Peterson and Wolfe can fight for rosters spots on special teams and 3rd down passing situations.

Bearsfan123
03-14-2008, 12:06 AM
now that Kevin Jones has been released I REALLY think we should look into signing him.

Hurricane Ditka
03-14-2008, 01:44 AM
I could give a monkey's nipple about Chris Brown. If we sign him, neat. If we don't, neat. I want our two back system to consist of rookie/Benson, in either order. Peterson and Wolfe can fight for rosters spots on special teams and 3rd down passing situations.
Do you have a monkey's nipple to give?

iowatreat54
03-14-2008, 01:54 AM
now that Kevin Jones has been released I REALLY think we should look into signing him.

no...why would we sign Kevin Jones when we could draft a RB in the 4th-7th that can essentially do the same job...sure, he could come in and compete with Benson, but so will AP/Wolfe/a rookie...there's no reason to overpay for what seems to be a washed up player when we can just hang on to Benson for another year, see how he does, and perhaps draft another RB in 09

Bearsfan123
03-14-2008, 11:47 AM
no...why would we sign Kevin Jones when we could draft a RB in the 4th-7th that can essentially do the same job...sure, he could come in and compete with Benson, but so will AP/Wolfe/a rookie...there's no reason to overpay for what seems to be a washed up player when we can just hang on to Benson for another year, see how he does, and perhaps draft another RB in 09

maybe you don't like him but when Ive gotten a chance to see him, Ive been impressed. Sign him to a 2 year deal and he should push Benson. He can catch, block at least a little better than Benson (thats one thing I did not look at while watching him). He has good strength and speed. My biggest concern is attitude and durability. But if we are platooning him and Benson attitude should be washed by the fact that they both see themselves as starters and want to start and durability by the fact that they are splitting touches.

AP and Wolfe are not competition for Benson and you know it. AP is a solid STer and backup but Benson and everyone else knows hes not a starter. Wolfe is a solid 3rd down back that can somewhat block, but can really catch it again should not be starting because he cant run in between the tackles.

EDIT: Plus it saves a draft slot for more important issues like the trenches.

pellepelle_10
03-14-2008, 12:29 PM
maybe you don't like him but when Ive gotten a chance to see him, Ive been impressed. Sign him to a 2 year deal and he should push Benson. He can catch, block at least a little better than Benson (thats one thing I did not look at while watching him). He has good strength and speed. My biggest concern is attitude and durability. But if we are platooning him and Benson attitude should be washed by the fact that they both see themselves as starters and want to start and durability by the fact that they are splitting touches.

AP and Wolfe are not competition for Benson and you know it. AP is a solid STer and backup but Benson and everyone else knows hes not a starter. Wolfe is a solid 3rd down back that can somewhat block, but can really catch it again should not be starting because he cant run in between the tackles.

EDIT: Plus it saves a draft slot for more important issues like the trenches.

Boy did you hit the nail on the head on that one. These are two categories Benson doesn't stand a chance at. I will say however Jones hasn't been the healthiest and I don't see any difference with him as getting Chris Brown. We're replacing an injury prone player with character issues for another injury prone player with no character isssues. We're running in circles. We need to advance. Start with a player who can carry a load and wants to suceed in the NFL without b_tching and throwing tantrums.

regoob2
03-14-2008, 12:30 PM

EDIT: Plus it saves a draft slot for more important issues like the trenches.Kevin Jones if signed would be the most talented RB on the roster when healthy. He's never healthy though. Everytime I've seen him play he has always played well. I would love the guy if he didn't have all the injury concerns but he obviously does. If we signed him we'd have 4 RBs and none should be a full time starter and it would make it even more complicated to bring in another back through the draft.

bearsfan_51
03-14-2008, 12:32 PM
I've never been impressed with Jones at all. There are runningbacks to be found in the 3rd and 4th round that will surpass his production in their first seasons.

Again, Kevin Jones is the same as Chris Brown. If we sign him, neat, if we don't, I don't care.

The only reason why I could see it, is if we signed Jones to cut Benson, and then drafted another runningback anyway. Benson and Jones would not be sufficient in my mind, because neither player is anything better than average.

Bearsfan123
03-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Does anyone honestly think we will cut Benson? I dont think so, I would be shocked. Im as against Benson as there is, but financially we need to keep him. If we did then I want Mendenhall, hell I might want Mendenhall with the Bears anyway, but I am of the opinion that if we platoon Jones and Benson we can have a solid run game, without using a high round pick.

bearsfan_51
03-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Actually, unless I did the #'s wrong, cutting him wouldn't hurt us much financially at all. The issue is that with all of the bonus money they've already given him, I'm sure they'd like to ride him out for as much as he's worth, and he's shown that he can be a very good #2.

VoteLynnSwan
03-14-2008, 02:00 PM
who knows what we're going to get out of him after that leg injury... all i know is if he's a step slower than he was... he's gonna be complete garbage.

bearsfan_51
03-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Yeah that's certainly a possibility. I could see him being cut in camp. JerBear has pretty strong loyalty to his draft picks though.

Bearsfan123
03-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Actually, unless I did the #'s wrong, cutting him wouldn't hurt us much financially at all. The issue is that with all of the bonus money they've already given him, I'm sure they'd like to ride him out for as much as he's worth, and he's shown that he can be a very good #2.

Really? Then id like us to cut him. I dont even want him on the team. Hes whiny, has no motivation, and doesnt support the team. He should be gone IMO

pellepelle_10
03-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Bryant Johnson signed a 1-yr agreement with San Francisco? wow they came out of nowhere on that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3293318

bearsfan_51
03-14-2008, 05:26 PM
I'm guessing Johnson was probably looking for a 1 year deal to hit the market again next year. That would explain why it took him a little longer to find a team. Makes sense for both sides, if he can prove himself as a legit starter he'll make a lot more money next year.

BeerBaron
03-15-2008, 03:51 PM
hey, its been a while. for some reason my home IP addressed was banned here. i have no idea why since no one there would access the board and it worked fine when i was home a few months ago......weird....

anyway, i had a panic attack when i read the bears were interesting in signing chris brown. im glad the texans took him away from us....we dont need someone like him

regoob2
03-15-2008, 03:54 PM
hey, its been a while. for some reason my home IP addressed was banned here. i have no idea why since no one there would access the board and it worked fine when i was home a few months ago......weird....

anyway, i had a panic attack when i read the bears were interesting in signing chris brown. im glad the texans took him away from us....we dont need someone like himya that IP thing happened to me too.

BeerBaron
03-15-2008, 03:56 PM
ya that IP thing happened to me too.

well im glad im not alone. and i know in my case at least i wouldnt have been banned for doing something wrong while i was at home last.....

i messaged the board "administrator" a few times trying get unbanned but never got a reply

regoob2
03-15-2008, 03:59 PM
well im glad im not alone. and i know in my case at least i wouldnt have been banned for doing something wrong while i was at home last.....

i messaged the board "administrator" a few times trying get unbanned but never got a replyThey never wrote back to me either, lol.

BeerBaron
03-15-2008, 04:01 PM
They never wrote back to me either, lol.

id really like to get mine straightened out because ill be at home for the draft because my grandfathers birthday is that friday.

id really like to be able to post my like/dislike of all the bears picks...

regoob2
03-15-2008, 04:06 PM
When it happened to me it was hot and cold. One day it would work the next it wouldn't. When it would work only some threads would work. Some times I couldn't click directly on the thread title only the last post. stuff like that.

BeerBaron
03-15-2008, 04:09 PM
When it happened to me it was hot and cold. One day it would work the next it wouldn't. When it would work only some threads would work. Some times I couldn't click directly on the thread title only the last post. stuff like that.

thats strange.....mine was just a screen that said something like "your IP has been banned. click here to contact the administrator"

it wouldnt let me on any part of the board

regoob2
03-15-2008, 04:12 PM
It lasted like a couple months like that.

Hurricane Ditka
03-15-2008, 05:10 PM
thats strange.....mine was just a screen that said something like "your IP has been banned. click here to contact the administrator"

it wouldnt let me on any part of the board
Talk to Scott.

bearsfan_51
03-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Scott will just pass it on to someone else, he doesn't mess with any of that stuff. Just keep bugging Ward, Bond, and D-Unit. They'll like that.;)

BeerBaron
03-16-2008, 02:55 PM
the bears are up in the 2nd round in the voting mock

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19402

they had us go chris williams in 1, barely beating out brohm thank god....

round 2 is up and so far theres votes all over the place. i said rachal, and hardy and dre moore have popped up as well.

i think its kind of fun, idk. come vote anyone

BeerBaron
03-26-2008, 10:50 AM
wow. check this out:

URLACHER WAS GOING TO CHANGE POSITIONS
Posted by Mike Florio on March 26, 2008, 11:17 a.m.

We’ve continued over the past couple of days to try to find out what precisely went down between the San Francisco 49ers and the Chicago Bears regarding the whole Lance Briggs thing, which culminated this week in a finding that the Niners must forfeit a fifth-round pick and flip-flop third-round selections with the Bears.

It generally has been difficult to track down information, and much of what we’ve obtained has been on “background” (a term that we still don’t fully understand because we aren’t, you know, actual journalists). But we’ve picked up one interesting nugget from multiple sources regarding the changes that would have been made if Briggs had been shipped to the 49ers.

Specifically, we’re told that middle linebacker Brian Urlacher had been told that he’d be moving to Briggs’ position of weakside linebacker.

The disclosure apparently was made to Urlacher while the trade was still a possibility, before the Bears and the 49ers realized that the failure of Briggs to sign his one-year franchise tender prior to July 15 prevented the 49ers from signing Briggs to a long-term deal.

We’ve also heard from multiple sources that the Bears proceeded with tampering charges not because they hoped to scare the Niners away from pursuing Briggs in free agency, but because the Bears believed that, once Briggs learned of the failed trade, his performance decreased dramatically.

It’s still unclear how Briggs found out about the failed trade. Some presume that his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, told him about it. Others believe that, once coach Lovie Smith told Urlacher that he’d be changing positions, word of the looming transaction inevitably got around the locker room.

Though we’ve accepted the fact that it will be impossible to determine the precise evidence that supported a finding of tampering, we’re still troubled by the fact that the Niners apparently got in trouble for attempting to work out a new contract with Rosenhaus in conjunction with a trade that would have sent a first-round pick to the Bears in exchange for Briggs’ services.

Surely, the Bears didn’t think that the 49ers would give up a first-round draft pick for the ability to rent Briggs for the balance of the 2007 season, with no guarantee that they’d retain his services for 2008. So even is the Bears didn’t formally grant the Niners permission to talk to Rosenhaus, it was at least implied that an effort would be made to get Briggs’ agreement on a new contract, especially if the trade talks were unfolding not long before the deadline for doing a deal.

urlacher would have been the biggest weakside LB....maybe ever

vikes_28
04-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Scary. I could see Urlacher owning every qb that stands opposite of him. Imagine him coming off the weekside as fast as he can, and then killing someone like...Tavaris Jackson?

It makes me scared thinking about it.

BeerBaron
04-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Scary. I could see Urlacher owning every qb that stands opposite of him. Imagine him coming off the weekside as fast as he can, and then killing someone like...Tavaris Jackson?

It makes me scared thinking about it.

lol, well, think of it this way...maybe that would be a good thing for the vikes to have jackson knocked out

vikes_28
04-01-2008, 11:42 PM
ha. yeah, well i give jackson one more year before i give up on him. looks like gus freotte is their backup. wouldnt want him either.

bearsfan_51
04-02-2008, 01:31 AM
ha. yeah, well i give jackson one more year before i give up on him. looks like gus freotte is their backup. wouldnt want him either.

Take it from Bears fans, just give up. He sucks.

vikes_28
04-02-2008, 08:10 AM
well, as long as childress is head coach, Jackson will be there. childress is an idiot.

bearsfan_51
04-02-2008, 07:20 PM
A few notes from Lovie Smith:

*** Smith projected that Mike Brown will be the starting free safety. Presumably, that means Danieal Manning is out of a job and Brandon McGowan and Kevin Payne will battle for the strong safety job.

*** Smith reiterated John Tait could be moved from left tackle to right tackle depending on what kind of personnel is added. He couldn’t name an offensive line, though, or a quarterback. And then there’s the situation at running back. Smith called the position deep in the draft.

*** As expected, Israel Idonije has been moved inside to defensive tackle.

*** Smith said he expects running back Cedric Benson to be ``motivated.’’ No word on what happened in terms of motivation in 2005-2007.

*** No player will ever be taken out of the role they’re best in, so Devin Hester will not disappear as a returner. That doesn’t mean he won’t be spelled at time to time by Manning or maybe Rashied Davis.

*** The quarterback job between Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton will be decided in training camp. Bourbonnais, here we come

-Not suprising about Brown. Brandon McGowan wasn't great last year, but he was better than Manning. Brown will get hurt in training camp either way though, so it doesn't matter.

regoob2
04-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Wow I just mapquested where Bourbonnais is and it's only like an hour from my place. NICE!

BeerBaron
04-02-2008, 07:45 PM
oh cmon, have a little faith in mike brown. maybe hes finally all injured out....hes about due to make it through a full year, lol

regoob2
04-02-2008, 07:57 PM
oh cmon, have a little faith in mike brown. maybe hes finally all injured out....hes about due to make it through a full year, lolIf that was only the case. :(

BeerBaron
04-02-2008, 07:59 PM
If that was only the case. :(

some people think im nuts for thinking this but i think he has a bob sanders-esque affect on our defense.

when hes out, it seems like things just slowly start to go down after that...

SFbear
04-02-2008, 08:50 PM
some people think im nuts for thinking this but i think he has a bob sanders-esque affect on our defense.

when hes out, it seems like things just slowly start to go down after that...

Empirically that does seem to be the case but it may be more that our depth just really sucks rather than Mike Brown being Jesus in pads. Safety has been a problem on this team since 2005 and our attempts to remedy the situation with D. Manning and Archuletta have failed. Its still a weakness but I think its going to go unchecked because of priorities on offense and also giving Payne and McGowan a chance show us their mettle.

Gay Ork Wang
04-03-2008, 05:25 PM
*** No player will ever be taken out of the role they’re best in, so Devin Hester will not disappear as a returner. That doesn’t mean he won’t be spelled at time to time by Manning or maybe Rashied Davis.

Isnt it said that though he will see less reps at Returning?

Smokey Joe
04-03-2008, 05:52 PM
If we are giving up on Manning already, thats a pretty bad draft pick then.

regoob2
04-03-2008, 07:06 PM
I dont think were giving up on him but he shouldn't start over Mike Brown if he's healthy. Manning has definetly been a disappointment so far.

BeerBaron
04-03-2008, 07:09 PM
I dont think were giving up on him but he shouldn't start over Mike Brown if he's healthy. Manning has definetly been a disappointment so far.

i love that thought until like, after the regular season starts...then its no longer true, sigh....

Smokey Joe
04-03-2008, 08:21 PM
start over Mike Brown? When has he ever started over Mike Brown?

Gay Ork Wang
04-03-2008, 08:22 PM
well he starts over Injured Mike Brown/IR Brown

regoob2
04-03-2008, 08:41 PM
start over Mike Brown? When has he ever started over Mike Brown??? I never said he has started over Brown.

Smokey Joe
04-03-2008, 08:47 PM
?? I never said he has started over Brown.
Okay, either I can't read or you didn't get your point of clearly...

You said it right there... and Brown getting IRed doesn't count.

BeerBaron
04-03-2008, 08:49 PM
i would gladly take a healthy mike brown over any other safety the bears have had since ive been following football.

Gay Ork Wang
04-03-2008, 08:51 PM

i think what he means is that in the next season it shouldnt happen without implementing that it happened

regoob2
04-03-2008, 08:52 PM

It says Manning should not start over Mike Brown.

Smokey Joe
04-03-2008, 08:54 PM
okay, but now where do you get this idea that Manning would have even started over Brown in the 1st place? If Manning starts over anyone, it's Arch/McGowan/Payne.

BeerBaron
04-03-2008, 08:57 PM
okay, but now where do you get this idea that Manning would have even started over Brown in the 1st place? If Manning starts over anyone, it's Arch/McGowan/Payne.

in all honesty, reading back through, i dont think anyone said anything close to "manning should start over brown"

the closest was regood saying:

"I dont think were giving up on him but he shouldn't start over Mike Brown if he's healthy. Manning has definetly been a disappointment so far."

regoob2
04-03-2008, 09:07 PM
okay, but now where do you get this idea that Manning would have even started over Brown in the 1st place? If Manning starts over anyone, it's Arch/McGowan/Payne.Why would Manning start over Arch? They dont play the same position. Manning only started due to Mikes injuries. Manning has definetly not lived up to the draft slot. He is a decent starter but I'd prefer him as a backup at this point in his career.

Smokey Joe
04-03-2008, 09:21 PM
In Lovie's system, there is very little difference between SS and FS. Lovie has said this himself.

Gay Ork Wang
04-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Why would Manning start over Arch? They dont play the same position. Manning only started due to Mikes injuries. Manning has definetly not lived up to the draft slot. He is a decent starter but I'd prefer him as a backup at this point in his career.
why would u let arch start though....

regoob2
04-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Manning sucks, Arch sucks, DONE.

Smokey Joe
04-03-2008, 09:36 PM
hey beerbaron, are you seattle's GM in the forum mock?

BeerBaron
04-03-2008, 09:38 PM
hey beerbaron, are you seattle's GM in the forum mock?

not yet, i dont know if i will be or not, havent heard anything from it recently either.

Gay Ork Wang
04-03-2008, 09:39 PM
im so happy a bears fan is the GM

BeerBaron
04-03-2008, 09:41 PM
im so happy a bears fan is the GM

yeah, i heard it didnt go so well for us last time...

regoob2
04-03-2008, 09:43 PM
yeah, i heard it didnt go so well for us last time...lol, thats an understatement. I think he traded all our picks and brought in Mcnabb and Chad Johnson. It was realistic. (sarcasm).

BeerBaron
04-03-2008, 09:45 PM
lol, thats an understatement. I think he traded all our picks and brought in Mcnabb and Chad Johnson. It was realistic. (sarcasm).

i think ill have a complete psychotic breakdown if we draft chad henne in the 2nd round. imagine what id do if we traded our picks for the rest of the decade to get mcnabb...scary

regoob2
04-03-2008, 09:46 PM
i think ill have a complete psychotic breakdown if we draft chad henne in the 2nd round. imagine what id do if we traded our picks for the rest of the decade to get mcnabb...scaryI thought you were a co-gm for the bears?

BeerBaron
04-03-2008, 09:48 PM
I thought you were co-gm for the bears?

for this yeah. i was talking about real life...im not going to be very happy if ryan or henne ends up a bear...

but yeah, right now im on the bears for this draft. scottyboy was looking to get rid of seattle so he could co-gm the giants and i offered to take them. bond said he wanted to make sure the guy who did have the giants was ok with it before it went down and i havent heard about it since then.

so for now, yeah, im on the bears

Smokey Joe
04-03-2008, 11:45 PM
beerbaron, check your pm box.

BeerBaron
04-04-2008, 12:16 AM
beerbaron, check your pm box.

i got it and ill take care of it all best i can

awfullyquiet
04-04-2008, 03:00 PM

you mean overrated?

BeerBaron
04-04-2008, 03:33 PM
you mean overrated?

i do think sanders is overrated and shouldnt have been DMVP but he does have a strong effect on how the colts D performs.

btw, people are looking for you in the forum mock i think

BeerBaron
04-04-2008, 04:38 PM
well this is just fantastic....i think im going to have ryan shoved down my throat in the forum mock. i think i might just let smokey make it because i cant in all good conscience take him after all ive said about him

Gay Ork Wang
04-05-2008, 12:17 AM
hmm i was just thinking and i realized i want mendenhall alot more than Williams right now. The main reason is if we dont pick him, the Lions might grab him. If he pans out and we face mendenhall and AP twice a year its gonna get ugly. with Ryan Grant, all the 3 RBs gonna hunt us for years

then again besides barry Sanders, no lions pick pan out

regoob2
04-07-2008, 10:37 PM
NFL Network just reported that Urlacher will hold out if he doesnt receive a new contract!!!!!! They said he hinted that he wont report to any OTAs until he gets a new deal. Say it aint so Brian.

BeerBaron
04-07-2008, 10:39 PM
NFL Network just reported that Urlacher will hold out if he doesnt receive a new contract!!!!!! They said he hinted that he wont report to any OTAs until he gets a new deal. Say it aint so Brian.

he deserves it. they should just give it to him and tell him to get back out there.

regoob2
04-07-2008, 10:43 PM
he deserves it. they should just give it to him and tell him to get back out there.He's old I say cut him

*sarcasm*

BeerBaron
04-07-2008, 10:55 PM
He's old I say cut him

*sarcasm*

he might be about the only player id give a lifetime contract to. if he can walk, he can be a bear

MidwayMonster31
04-07-2008, 11:55 PM
The back arthritis is definitely a major issue. He has to prove that it won't affect him long-term. Also, Harris is up for an extension and he has to prove that he's healthy next season. Maybe that's a reason they didn't franchise Berrian.

awfullyquiet
04-08-2008, 12:41 PM
he might be about the only player id give a lifetime contract to. if he can walk, he can be a bear

Trade him to the bengals for chad johnson. I'd take that.

BTW. Sorry BB and Smokey about leaving matt ryan to you... I in good faith, couldn't take him at 8 let alone 14... (ergo the Ainge-rnator... god. decent qb's in the 4th? who knew. this was a screwy draft yo...) I HAD to take clady, just as a personal rule of management, not as the ravens FO would do. Gaither probably will be good... and, as pretty much all of iterate, you can't have a great running back without a good line.

Gay Ork Wang
04-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Are u kiddin....

awfullyquiet
04-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Are u kiddin....

no way.

If you ARE talking to me.

I love the idea of trading urlacher to cincy for CJ. please say you're not serious that that'd be such a steal for both of us?

Gay Ork Wang
04-08-2008, 02:02 PM
I really hope ur sarcastic :D

awfullyquiet
04-08-2008, 04:53 PM
I really hope ur sarcastic :D

i'm not.

i think it's great