PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Chicago Bears General Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

regoob2
04-08-2008, 05:43 PM
i'm not.

i think it's greatThe Colts could use a MLB, why not see if we can trade him for Peyton.

BeerBaron
04-08-2008, 06:35 PM
i wouldnt give urlacher for anybody or anything. the guy should play his whole HoF career with the bears.

regoob2
04-08-2008, 09:26 PM
i wouldnt give urlacher for anybody or anything. the guy should play his whole HoF career with the bears.Ya I was being sarcastic, why would we trade him.

Smokey Joe
04-08-2008, 09:55 PM
it hasn't been the same in here without bf51...

Gay Ork Wang
04-09-2008, 09:19 AM
where the hell is he? I miss him ripping on us

awfullyquiet
04-09-2008, 10:50 AM
i think you're all a little too emotional towards urlacher. sure. the bears are a 'good' team. but. when it comes down to it. i'd rather have chad johnson over brian urlacher if the situation came down to it.

the bengals need a defensive leader. and some big veteran. like jason taylor. like brian urlacher. if marvin lewis doesn't get some defensive talent and leaders he's gonna be out of a job. the bengals could get on without CJ. the bears could get along without urlacher. call it sacrilegious. but i still think it's a pretty good trade.

Gay Ork Wang
04-09-2008, 10:52 AM
so who would throw it to CJ? He is crying that he doesnt get the ball, we are a run first team. He would be crying even more

BeerBaron
04-09-2008, 11:00 AM
so who would throw it to CJ? He is crying that he doesnt get the ball, we are a run first team. He would be crying even more

exactly. plus theres no way CJ is worth what urlacher is. the headaches taht would come with him outweigh everything else...

regoob2
04-09-2008, 11:28 AM
i think you're all a little too emotional towards urlacher. sure. the bears are a 'good' team. but. when it comes down to it. i'd rather have chad johnson over brian urlacher if the situation came down to it.

the bengals need a defensive leader. and some big veteran. like jason taylor. like brian urlacher. if marvin lewis doesn't get some defensive talent and leaders he's gonna be out of a job. the bengals could get on without CJ. the bears could get along without urlacher. call it sacrilegious. but i still think it's a pretty good trade.Why would we trade our best player who is a future HOFer and the face of the franchise for Chad who would be gone after a year and half?

regoob2
04-12-2008, 12:07 PM
What kind of scheme do we run with our OL? +rep, thanks.

Gay Ork Wang
04-12-2008, 12:31 PM
What our OL does doesnt need a scheme, its like 5 chickens without heads running around

BeerBaron
04-12-2008, 03:25 PM
well....its not quite aline of of all maulers but its not quite a zone blocking scheme. somewhere in the middle.

the LT needs to have good feet and be a good pass blocker, the LG needs to be able to pull around to the right side a lot for the run game, the center....well kreutz just mauls people......and both of the guys on the right side of the line need to be able to run block like bulldozers.

so i have no idea what youd call that big mess......

regoob2
04-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Bradley talks about being our #1 receiver.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080330-bears-mark-bradley-chicago,1,6035227.story

Not sure if this was posted earlier but it's a good read and I love the way Bradley talks about not getting playing time this year.

BeerBaron
04-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Bradley talks about being our #1 receiver.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080330-bears-mark-bradley-chicago,1,6035227.story

Not sure if this was posted earlier but it's a good read and I love the way Bradley talks about not getting playing time this year.

well, he sure sounds confident at least. i hope he does well, we may need it...

sweetness34
04-13-2008, 03:46 PM
If Bradley is healthy and ready to go, he'll be fine. Kid has some major talent. Just needs a chance to play.

regoob2
04-13-2008, 04:00 PM
well, he sure sounds confident at least. i hope he does well, we may need it...We absolutely need him.

regoob2
04-13-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm watching the Dolphins game on NFLN and Booker looks good. He definetly looks quicker than Moose did last year.

BeerBaron
04-13-2008, 07:45 PM
I'm watching the Dolphins game on NFLN and Booker looks good. He definetly looks quicker than Moose did last year.

he is a bit shorter than moose though...not quite as physical either. its a trade off for sure

regoob2
04-13-2008, 07:58 PM
he is a bit shorter than moose though...not quite as physical either. its a trade off for suremoose had a 12 inch vertical and he would drop every other catch in traffic. Booker is definetly an upgrade over Moose.

BeerBaron
04-13-2008, 08:02 PM
moose had a 12 inch vertical and he would drop every other catch in traffic. Booker is definetly an upgrade over Moose.

that may be but i dont think miami would have let him go if he was really worthwhile. theyve got ginn and nobody there...maybe worse off than even we are...makes me wonder at least

toonsterwu
04-13-2008, 08:10 PM
I think Booker is probably an upgrade over Mushin, although it isn't by much. I wouldn't read too much into what happened in Miami. His contract was high and once their season was toast, they weren't as invested in him. Parcells probably wanted to save the money as well, and they have a similar talent, but younger, in Derek Hagan.

devilwoman
04-15-2008, 10:18 AM
I think Booker is probably an upgrade over Mushin, although it isn't by much. I wouldn't read too much into what happened in Miami. His contract was high and once their season was toast, they weren't as invested in him. Parcells probably wanted to save the money as well, and they have a similar talent, but younger, in Derek Hagan.

What about Hass...is this guy ever gonna get on the field?

Gay Ork Wang
04-15-2008, 10:53 AM
i doubt it, i hope he can flourish

bearsfan_51
04-18-2008, 10:43 PM
The Briggs holdout is an absolute joke. You're holding out because you don't like the deal you just signed a few months ago? **** you. Seriously. Shut the hell up or get off the team. It's not the Bears fault that the market was bad for you. Nobody made you sign that contract.

Another thing worth pointing out, the contract is voidable after two years. Granted the Bears probably won't do that because they will have already paid him most of the money, but nothing would suprise me at this point.

Lance Briggs. Great player. Giant *****.

VoteLynnSwan
04-19-2008, 12:36 AM
Lance Briggs is a serious tool if that's true...

regoob2
04-23-2008, 06:01 PM
I don't know if anyone else heard this but it's news to me.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Au_AXcszwZ4Av0dEBn7tamVDubYF?slug=ap-bears-davis&prov=ap&type=lgns

MidwayMonster31
04-23-2008, 06:02 PM
Meh.
(10 characters)

BeerBaron
04-23-2008, 06:07 PM
aye, i heard about it. i think all it might do is push down the rounds in which wed look for another receiver since we would have booker, hester, bradley and davis as our top 4 WRs. (and that also tells you how far into camp i think lloyd will get....)

The Legend
04-30-2008, 09:12 AM
just wondering what type of contract do you guys thinks Urlacher is going to get?

his contract now is 9yrs 57mill, so whats he shooting for? 7yrs 70 Million

BeerBaron
04-30-2008, 10:04 AM
just wondering what type of contract do you guys thinks Urlacher is going to get?

his contract now is 9yrs 57mill, so whats he shooting for? 7yrs 70 Million

i would really like the team to do what it has to in order to make him happy and get him on the field....but im not sure theyll cave...idk. (unless youve heard different recently)

i think an extension onto his current contract that gives him a nice chunk of bonus money when he signs could do it....

Cerni88
04-30-2008, 10:31 AM
We are really in something here. It isnt trouble and it is probably a good thing, but what is with the excess of defenesive lineman, WR's and CB's. I really dont know how we are going to fit them all in.

I think after TC in looks something like this

DE:
Anderson
Ogun
Brown
Bazuin

DT:
Harris
Dusty
Harrison
Adams
Idoj

WR:
Booker
Bradley
Hester
Davis
Bennet

CB:
Vasher
Tillman
Mcbride
Graham
Bowman

BeerBaron
04-30-2008, 10:33 AM
i honestly think that alex brown starts over mark anderson....i think hes more well rounded and it frees up anderson to come in fresh on passing downs.

and i dont think bennett does that badly at reciever...i think he could see the field a lot even if hes not starting.

and i heard that bowman would be a FS

Gay Ork Wang
04-30-2008, 10:58 AM
who would be cut?

regoob2
04-30-2008, 12:47 PM
i honestly think that alex brown starts over mark anderson....i think hes more well rounded and it frees up anderson to come in fresh on passing downs.

and i dont think bennett does that badly at reciever...i think he could see the field a lot even if hes not starting.

and i heard that bowman would be a FSI don't think he'll be put at FS but I think they'll give him a look there and see how he performs. Alex Brown should definetly be starting.

AaronGrayisKing
04-30-2008, 12:58 PM
I can't see Adams sticking around.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a trade before the season starts with Anderson....

BeerBaron
04-30-2008, 02:05 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a trade before the season starts with Anderson....

i think we hang onto to all of our DEs. the giants showed you need a bunch of good pass rushers to win and we have that right now.

no reason to get rid of any of htem...

regoob2
04-30-2008, 05:41 PM

So you think we're gonna cut Anthony Adams and trade Mark Anderson? Why?

k0ng
04-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Adams and Anderson will be bears next season.

I can see guys like Manning Jr. and Archuleta getting the axe though.

regoob2
04-30-2008, 06:12 PM
You think we could get anything for any of these guys? Benson, Manning jr.

BeerBaron
04-30-2008, 06:28 PM
why cut manning jr? hes a great nickel back imo. and if we have injuries again, id trust him to step in a little more than say mcbride. dont get me wrong, i liked what i saw in him to but i dont see a reason to dump manning....

same with arch. i think it was 51 who posted a while back that he would be making the veteran minimum. he can still be a great special teams player and i think hes a good presence to have around for the younger players at his position. i think a guy like craig steltz could learn a lot from him personally....

SFbear
04-30-2008, 07:06 PM
why cut manning jr? hes a great nickel back imo. and if we have injuries again, id trust him to step in a little more than say mcbride. dont get me wrong, i liked what i saw in him to but i dont see a reason to dump manning....

Everytime Ricky Manning Jr. starts in place of one of the two starters he gives up a huge touchdown. Happened in the Broncos game last year and the two games he started the year before that. Great nickelback but terrible backup. McBride did back up Vasher this year and played well and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bears dump him since McBride is playing for a much smaller contract. Also we have Bowman to develop who has huge upside.

BeerBaron
04-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Everytime Ricky Manning Jr. starts in place of one of the two starters he gives up a huge touchdown. Happened in the Broncos game last year and the two games he started the year before that. Great nickelback but terrible backup. McBride did back up Vasher this year and played well and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bears dump him since McBride is playing for a much smaller contract. Also we have Bowman to develop who has huge upside.

we could easily take 5 CBs (or more) if need be into the season since thats a position where guys can play special teams too. let RMJ be the nickel back and have mcbride be the true backup to our starters.

I personally don't expect to see too much of bowman as a rookie but with a little development in a few years, he could be an impact layer

regoob2
04-30-2008, 07:45 PM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4652

Rookie jersey numbers.

Draft picks: OT Chris Williams (74)
RB Matt Forte (22)
WR Earl Bennett (85)
DT Marcus Harrison (94)
S Craig Steltz (27)
CB Zackary Bowman (35)
TE Kellen Davis (87)
DE Ervin Baldwin (99)
G Chester Adams (72o)
LB Joey LaRocque (90)
OT Kirk Barton (69)
WR Marcus Monk (19)

Undrafted free agents:
PK Shane Longest (2)
QB Caleb Hanie (12)
WR Curtis Hamilton (14)
QB Nick Hill (17)
CB Leslie Majors (46)
DB Trey Brown (49)
DE Nick Osborn (67)
DE Joe Clermond (72d)
OT Cody Balogh (79o)
DT David Faaeteete (79d)

SFbear
04-30-2008, 08:02 PM
we could easily take 5 CBs (or more) if need be into the season since thats a position where guys can play special teams too. let RMJ be the nickel back and have mcbride be the true backup to our starters.

I personally don't expect to see too much of bowman as a rookie but with a little development in a few years, he could be an impact layer

We also have Corey Graham who we drafted last year but I have no idea what his deal is.

sweetness34
05-01-2008, 01:27 AM
Basically everyone of our draft picks outside of Wolfe and Olsen last year got injured and missed significant time. Which is why it's hard to put a grade on the class.

Olsen will make it look good though no doubt, and I think guys like Payne, Okwo, and Graham will be solid NFL players. Bazuin and Wolfe are question marks but given a chance who knows.

DaBears9654
05-01-2008, 06:31 PM
I agree. Trumaine McBride had a decent rookie year, but that's not always indicative of a player's career prospects. Case in point: Matthew (as his mother insists he be called) Hasselbeck. I remember his first year in Seattle (and therefore first as a starter; he was, after all a Packer beforehand), he was like Tim freaking Couch he played so badly. Holmgren stuck with him, though and the next year -- and on -- he has played pretty darn well.

I hope McBride continues to play well and even better than his rookie year, but I know there is only somewhat of a chance of it. I hope a very high chance. W/ Olsen too.

regoob2
05-01-2008, 07:43 PM
The Bears maybe interested in trading for Chris Simms QB.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d806a3052&template=with-video&confirm=true

I think it would be a real good idea. Kid has talent.

Race for the Heisman
05-01-2008, 08:53 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d806a3052&template=with-video&confirm=true

Doesn't mention what the pick might potentially be but if it came to fruition I would hope for a 6th.

SFbear
05-01-2008, 09:38 PM

The original article doesn't say anything about us being interested in Simms. It makes the observation that Tampa has to cut someone, and then declares that Chris Simms would be who the writer would prefer to take the third QB spot. You got to be careful with the rumor mills. They'll latch onto anything and blow it up.

bearsfan_51
05-01-2008, 10:40 PM
If we actually gave up a draft pick for Chris Simms......

I'm ok with picking him up once he gets cut, but giving up a draft pick for a QB with a 70 quarterback ranking and injury concerns would be stupid. I don't buy it.

Then again the Bucs gave us a pick for Brian Griese.

AaronGrayisKing
05-02-2008, 06:48 AM
So you think we're gonna cut Anthony Adams and trade Mark Anderson? Why?

Honestly, I've got no other reason than a feeling...

Adams will be odd man out with Izzy playing both DE and DT... I think he's gonna play more DT this year.

Anderson is a heck of a situational pass rusher. I think Brown and Wale are gonna start. My feeling is Anderson is gonna call for a trade thinking he'll start somewhere else. He'll rock the boat and we'll send him off for a draft pick..

BeerBaron
05-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Honestly, I've got no other reason than a feeling...

Adams will be odd man out with Izzy playing both DE and DT... I think he's gonna play more DT this year.

Anderson is a heck of a situational pass rusher. I think Brown and Wale are gonna start. My feeling is Anderson is gonna call for a trade thinking he'll start somewhere else. He'll rock the boat and we'll send him off for a draft pick..

i dont think so with anderson. As a rookie, his best role was as a situational pass rusher and last year when he started, he just wasn't as effective and was easier to run on than brown would have been.

I think he'll try and continue to develop in a situation here where he can get sacks as a pass rusher and when his contract is up in another 2 year (1 year plus RFA i think) go somehwere else for big money or something....

You just don't see many 2nd or 3rd year guys demanding trades....

awfullyquiet
05-02-2008, 03:19 PM
but i do think we ditch either him or bazuin in the next year or two.

please, someones gonna want one of them pretty badly next year... a second or third really wouldn't be unlikely to ask for anderson...

BeerBaron
05-02-2008, 03:20 PM
idk...the giants showed that you can win with a dominant d-line and we're pretty set at end with all of those guys...

plus wale isn't the youngest pup anymore. it may be him after another year or two that goes

sweetness34
05-02-2008, 05:40 PM
First day of mini-camp news tidbit....Forte already looks better than Benson from the Bear Report.

Can't wait to hear how the boys did in their first day.

SFbear
05-02-2008, 06:11 PM
I didn't realize Marcus Monk ran a 4.4 40 on his pro day. How the hell did this guy fall to the 7th round?

k0ng
05-02-2008, 07:35 PM
I didn't realize Marcus Monk ran a 4.4 40 on his pro day. How the hell did this guy fall to the 7th round?

Injury concerns I think.

regoob2
05-02-2008, 07:37 PM
I never seen him catch a ball in the couple games I've seen. I hope he develops but I doubt he actually does.

sweetness34
05-02-2008, 09:05 PM
I never seen him catch a ball in the couple games I've seen. I hope he develops but I doubt he actually does.

What games were you watching? Pre-injury he was a stud. He was bogged down his senior year with his knee. Monk has some very nice ability.

BeerBaron
05-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Aye, Monk could be the big target we need a few years down the line. He just has to make the team and I'm pulling for him to do it...

regoob2
05-02-2008, 09:14 PM
What games were you watching? Pre-injury he was a stud. He was bogged down his senior year with his knee. Monk has some very nice ability.Don't remember but he dropped a couple balls in the games I saw. Wasn't really impressed.

Smokey Joe
05-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Adawale isn't a young man anymore, and I think he only has a year or two left in him to be an above average starter.

BeerBaron
05-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Adawale isn't a young man anymore, and I think he only has a year or two left in him to be an above average starter.

like what this brilliant football genius said earlier today:

idk...the giants showed that you can win with a dominant d-line and we're pretty set at end with all of those guys...

plus wale isn't the youngest pup anymore. it may be him after another year or two that goes

lol...just messing with ya man

Smokey Joe
05-02-2008, 10:06 PM
like what this brilliant football genius said earlier today:

lol...just messing with ya man
lol, I didn't see that. All I saw was that guy talking about how we have "too much" DE depth.

Also, Adams ain't getting cut, unless he shows up at camp out of shape and preforms terribly. As of this moment, Adams is our 3rd best DT. Hell, maybe even no. 2. Harrison and Dvoracek, while I like them, haven't proven ****. And forgive me if I don't have a crazy man crush on Toeanna (sp?) because of 2 plays like everyone else.

regoob2
05-02-2008, 10:25 PM
I want to go to the Bears practices does anyone have any info about where it is, when and such? will +rep. thanks.

AaronGrayisKing
05-03-2008, 07:06 AM
Only time will tell, but out of both predictions I'm very confident that Adams is gone by season start.

Anderson was a little bit more of a flyer, but I think one of our DE's will be traded.

SFbear
05-06-2008, 06:28 PM
We cut Archuletta. That is all.

bearfan
05-06-2008, 06:44 PM
I want to go to the Bears practices does anyone have any info about where it is, when and such? will +rep. thanks.

I dont know about now, but once the summer starts and training camp goes down they are at Olivette Nazarine in Bourbonnais,IL which is right near..well nothing really. Bourbonnais and Kankakee and Bradley all kinda conjoin into one area, but its cool. I dont know if that is what you are looking for, but thats TC info.

awfullyquiet
05-06-2008, 07:35 PM
We cut Archuletta. That is all.

I was just gonna say that.

sweetness34
05-07-2008, 01:38 AM
Training Camp is awesome at Bourbonnais, went there like 5 years ago and had a blast. I highly recommend making the trip, as I hope to do sometime when they start up.

sweetness34
05-07-2008, 01:40 AM
And good news for Marcus Monk supporters, according to Meyer and Christ, two Bears writers they believed he made the most improvement in camp from Friday to Sunday. Really made an effort to catch the ball with his hands, worked on his route running, picked up the plays quickly, caught the ball well, and displayed highlight reel ability. We got ourselves a gem fellas. And Bennett wasn't too shabby either. ;)

bearfan
05-07-2008, 06:30 AM
Training Camp is awesome at Bourbonnais, went there like 5 years ago and had a blast. I highly recommend making the trip, as I hope to do sometime when they start up.

Yeah, my dad grew up there so he was more than willing to make the trip lol. We went I think 2 years in a row, but because of my job last year, and again this year we will miss it. If anyone goes down there, I would reccomend a little resturant called JR's. Anyone wanting any info on it, just hit me w/ a PM

Number 10
05-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Alright guys it's been delayed but here are my thoughts on your draft-

The Bears graded higher than any other team in my book and this is the 3rd year in a row I have had the Bears in the top 3. It just seems like Angelo and I look for the same thing in players.

Chris Williams has the highest upside of any LT in this draft and the lack of power concerns are overblown. The games I watched on Vandy, they ran behind him every time the tough yards were needed and not once did he get overpowered. Is he Jake Long in that department? No, but you don't need him to be. You need a better pass protector on the blind side because a lot of Grossman's inconsistency comes from that lack of confidence in the pocket. He'll be a nice player for you guys and has Walter Jones type strengths.

Wasn't the biggest fan of the Forte pick but if you want a power back, he's your guy in that spot. I think Ray Rice would have been better value but he'll struggle to be an every down back I think, although you could say the same thing about Forte.

The two 3rd round picks were the main reason I loved this draft class for you guys. I had Bennett as my #3 WR and and Harrison as my #3 DT and to grab both in the 3rd was outstanding value. Bennett is a sure thing at WR that won't be the deep threat Berrian was, but you talk about a reliable catch everything receiver Grossman needs to lean on, you have it in Bennett. I'm telling you right now, there is a lot about this kid that makes me think Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison. Will he have their careers? Probably not but you guys will love him. Harrison is a physical marvel that moved liked a 310 pound DE this past year despite being less than a year removed from a torn ACL. If he stays at that weight and does not lose his ability to shoot the gaps, that DT tandem is going to elevate your defense to 2006 status. His ceiling is that high.

Not sure Steltz will fit in with the lack of range as I see him having the same issues Arch had in your defense. However he plays fast on the field and he is a smart kid who can help a team in a ton of ways if coached properly. Bowman's deal is commonly known....it all resides on his legs. If healthy, he'll prove to be a physical nickel back that can make a play on the ball. This is about where I expected him to go...another high ceiling here.

I'lll end with Kellen Davis and Kirk Barton. I am one of the few that bought into Davis because of the physicall tools he has and launched him into the top 3 ranking of the TE in my book. Sure he is huge, fast, physical...but the thing he does the best is catch the ball with his hands. That is something a lot of young TEs take too long to grasp and he has it. Have to love the attitude he brings to the table and the potential is sky high for you guys to have a nasty 2 TE set. Barton went a lot lower than I thought he would and while I don't think he can be a starter early on, he has the versatility you want in that 6th lineman. He was never dominant in college but he was as reliable as they come and ask Wells at Ohio State who his favorite lineman was. They always ran behind Barton when the tough yards were needed and if he can add some strength to his lower body, you could have yourself a solid starter a couple years down the line.

Very solid draft here by Angelo and you guys should be ecstatic.

BeerBaron
05-12-2008, 04:47 PM
good read number 10, im glad to see someone appreciate what JA has been able to do.

and im also glad you could overlook the fact we didnt take a QB when giving us a ranking. so many people get lost in that fact that they dont realize we got 4 potential starters with our first 4 picks. (maybe even steltz too so that # could jump to our first 5 picks) Williams has franchise LT potential, Forte is a powerful inside runner the bears always like (and thought they had in benson but no dice), bennett is a very polished reciever and my never be great but he should certainly be good and harrison is just the big body we need next to tommie harris.

im kind of curious as to what scott will say about the draft....i hear it get praise from the people who overlook not taking a QB and i hear it get bashed all to hell for those that cant.

Number 10
05-12-2008, 06:06 PM
good read number 10, im glad to see someone appreciate what JA has been able to do.

and im also glad you could overlook the fact we didnt take a QB when giving us a ranking. so many people get lost in that fact that they dont realize we got 4 potential starters with our first 4 picks. (maybe even steltz too so that # could jump to our first 5 picks) Williams has franchise LT potential, Forte is a powerful inside runner the bears always like (and thought they had in benson but no dice), bennett is a very polished reciever and my never be great but he should certainly be good and harrison is just the big body we need next to tommie harris.

im kind of curious as to what scott will say about the draft....i hear it get praise from the people who overlook not taking a QB and i hear it get bashed all to hell for those that cant.

I remember telling you guys after the Giants-Bears game in December that priority #1 is without a doubt the offensive line. Your aging in the trenches and the guys you have there are mediocre anyway...not a good situation. We can joke about Grossman non-stop but when all is said and done, he can win games. He is not a franchise type, not a Pro-Bowl type, but he can get the job done. That line has not helped his cause and there have been some other factors that have not gone his way.

Honestly, can anyone really get upset about passing on guys like Henne or Brohm? Neither of those two have shown me they will be anything better than what you've got other than the unknown factor. I'm not saying Grossman is the future but by no means should Angelo have gone after one hard and overpayed.

BeerBaron
05-12-2008, 06:09 PM
I remember telling you guys after the Giants-Bears game in December that priority #1 is without a doubt the offensive line. Your aging in the trenches and the guys you have there are mediocre anyway...not a good situation. We can joke about Grossman non-stop but when all is said and done, he can win games. He is not a franchise type, not a Pro-Bowl type, but he can get the job done. That line has not helped his cause and there have been some other factors that have not gone his way.

Honestly, can anyone really get upset about passing on guys like Henne or Brohm? Neither of those two have shown me they will be anything better than what you've got other than the unknown factor. I'm not saying Grossman is the future but by no means should Angelo have gone after one hard and overpayed.

right, i don't mind passing on brohm or henne. like i had said earlier, we might have gotten 4 or 5 starters with our first 4 or 5 picks in that draft. this year might be pushing it (though most may be) but down the line, i expect for all of first 4 picks to be starting on this team. Had we taken a QB with any one of those, I couldn't say that. Grossman or KO will be our starter next year and they both proven that they can win with the talent around them. A healthy D and a better o-line will do wonders if one of them can just protect the football

MidwayMonster31
05-12-2008, 06:17 PM
They did get good value with their picks. Hopefully, Williams turns into a franchise LT. They thought running back was a bigger problem than quarterback, so Forte can come in and play right away. The coaches said Forte was the most impressive player they had at the rookie mini-camp.
Harrison's a gamble, but if he can stay healthy and out of trouble, he can be a quality DT. Steltz is a very smart player, even though he isn't as fast, but is a playmaker. Bowman would've been the first defensive back taken in the draft if it wasn't for injuries, so it's a calculated risk. He could be a great free safety if he stays healthy. Monk and Barton were good value in the 7th round, but they aren't expected to do much.
Other than Ryan, the quarterbacks would not have solved much. Flacco was picked way too early for a relative unknown.
The thing that bothered me the most about Brohm is obviously the injuries, especially the torn ligaments in his throwing thumb in 2006. That's the kind of injury that lingers. He used to make deep throws until that injury happened, then he didn't make those throws anymore.
Henne looked good at the workouts when it was not a game situation, but like Grossman, had problems when under pressure.
Even though I liked Woodson, he wouldn't have solved anything this year or possibly next year. So it could work, but we'll have to wait.
Edit: Bennett looks like the safe pick, even though he is nothing spectacular physically. Monk can make an impact for moving the chains.

SFbear
05-12-2008, 06:37 PM
I find it funny, that if we would have drafted Caleb Hanie with one of our 5-7th round picks rather than sign him as a UDFA, the experts would have liked our draft much more.

BeerBaron
05-12-2008, 06:39 PM
I find it funny, that if we would have drafted Caleb Hanie with one of our 5-7th round picks rather than sign him as a UDFA, the experts would have liked our draft much more.

i know right? i was thinking that myself earlier today... how messed up is that?

Bearsfan123
05-12-2008, 10:49 PM
i just didnt like the TE pick. At that spot especially, I liked Josh Johnson or Andre Woodson. Beyond that I got over not getting Brohm (who i really liked). Forte has a good attitude and thats what I like. Character.

We had a very good, but unspectacular draft. I would have preferred to see a little aggression by the front office but ill wait til next year for that.

BeerBaron
05-30-2008, 09:45 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/05/30/bears-ink-a-rookie/

woot. lets hope we just keep signing em up. the quicker they get under contract, the quicker they can start practicing and all that...

AaronGrayisKing
05-30-2008, 01:47 PM
I really like the tools of Kellen Davis and the value we get for a 5th round pick.

Nice Job, JA!

Bearsfan123
05-31-2008, 10:02 AM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4746

Kellen Davis and all the 7th rd guys as well.

BeerBaron
05-31-2008, 10:17 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/05/31/bears-battle-lastng-deep-into-august/

well, we're not going to know whether its rexy or KO for a while now.

im hoping for KO honestly. hes safer imo....and we just need someone whos going to not turn it over right away because with our team, even a 3 and out on offense can be considered a bit of a success just because it gives the D more of a break than theyd get with rexy throwing a pick right away.

eaglesfan_45
06-01-2008, 08:54 PM
I found a site with the ratings for all the teams, heres the bears

Defense
http://www.pastapadre.com/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/madden-09-player-ratings/bearsd.jpg

Offense
http://www.pastapadre.com/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/madden-09-player-ratings/bearso.jpg

Gay Ork Wang
06-02-2008, 06:34 AM
Grossman should be at least 101 in THP and 3 in THA

bearfan
06-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Im surprised that Grossman is that low, same w/ Orton. I would have expected around an 82 for Grossman and maybe a 79 for Orton. Hell Seneca Wallace had an 81 rating in 08. Runningbacks, Im surprised that Forte is that high for a 2nd rounder, and Williams is that low for a 1st. On defense, Hunter gets no love. Briggs should be 97.

BeerBaron
06-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Im surprised that Grossman is that low, same w/ Orton. I would have expected around an 82 for Grossman and maybe a 79 for Orton. Hell Seneca Wallace had an 81 rating in 08. Runningbacks, Im surprised that Forte is that high for a 2nd rounder, and Williams is that low for a 1st. On defense, Hunter gets no love. Briggs should be 97.

i didnt even look..... if/when i get the next madden, i usually take a day or two before i start up franchise mode and recreate the roster wtih a little more realism to it....

im very, very weird with my madden playing ways, lol

Race for the Heisman
06-02-2008, 07:18 PM
During the Bears’ first batch of OTAs, the consensus among observers was that beleaguered starting RB Cedric Benson did indeed look quicker after having dropped 10 pounds, the result of a healthier diet.

As per Pro Football Weekly;

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2008/whispers053108.htm

It's encouraging at least. I know I'm probably in the minority but I'm still pulling for Benson to breakout and win the job.

BeerBaron
06-02-2008, 07:27 PM
As per Pro Football Weekly;

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2008/whispers053108.htm

It's encouraging at least. I know I'm probably in the minority but I'm still pulling for Benson to breakout and win the job.

yeah, minority alright, lol.

i would just like to see some running back break out.....and im not sure benson's problem last year was so much his quickness as the fact that as soon as he hit the line of scrimmage, he would go down....

BeerBaron
06-02-2008, 08:34 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/02/bears-bag-another-rookie/

and steltz is officially a bear.

keep up that pace JA

awfullyquiet
06-05-2008, 11:09 AM

Agreed. Overall stats are nothing though. What i'm really irked about is that Brown is only one point higher than Anderson.

Madden just irks me since they took out the accelerated clock function.

BeerBaron
06-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Agreed. Overall stats are nothing though. What i'm really irked about is that Brown is only one point higher than Anderson.

Madden just irks me since they took out the accelerated clock function.

stuff like that really doesnt bother me because I don't think ive actualy played the games in quite a few madden generations.....

i sort of play GM of the whole thing and sim everything. I know it sounds boring as hell as that is most peoples least favorite part but i enjoy the hell out ofit

Gay Ork Wang
06-05-2008, 11:51 AM
i enjoy the Draft and offseason decisions the most...id like the HC thing....

BeerBaron
06-05-2008, 06:36 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/05/rams-claim-gradkowski/

looks like we tried to claim Bruce Gradkowski off of waivers but St. Louis beat us to him.

MidwayMonster31
06-07-2008, 10:28 AM
St. Louis had to do something. No one knows how long Bulger will last behind that line with his broken ribs.

BeerBaron
06-07-2008, 10:31 AM
St. Louis had to do something. No one knows how long Bulger will last behind that line with his broken ribs.

yeah, he could quite possibly be their QB of the future there. He'll have to beat out Brock Berlin for the 3rd string job this year (shouldn't be hard) behind Bulger and Trent Green. Then if Green retires or something after this year, he can be an experienced backup to Bulger with a year in the system. Works well for them I think.

bearsfan_51
06-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Benson is a sorry sack of poop. I hope that we never select a runningback in the top 10 ever again.

MidwayMonster31
06-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Totally agree. With the way the two-back system is being used, I don't think it's necessary to pick feature backs early. Plus, runningback is the one position that has the most turnover. You can still find good runningbacks in the mid-rounds of the draft. Top-10 runningbacks should be out of date soon.

Geo
06-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Yeah, he's done in Chi-town, it sounds like. I can't fault the Bears for drafting Benson, I really thought it would be a perfect fit.

The Bears can move on with Forte, Peterson, and Wolfe. That trio can do good things, hoping we see Wolfe more on third downs.

BeerBaron
06-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Yeah, he's done in Chi-town, it sounds like. I can't fault the Bears for drafting Benson, I really thought it would be a perfect fit.

The Bears can move on with Forte, Peterson, and Wolfe. That trio can do good things, hoping we see Wolfe more on third downs.

ive been championing that approach for a little while now actually.

forte on first and 2nd, AP giving him a breather every few series, and wolfe in on the passing downs.......could work.

i think we got by with worse at points last year and still came away 7-9

Gay Ork Wang
06-09-2008, 04:14 PM
great thing: We dont have to see his sorry ass for the first couple of weeks

MidwayMonster31
06-09-2008, 04:22 PM
great thing: We dont have to see his sorry ass for the first couple of weeksOr ever again (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3434053).
Make that 0 for the last 3 1st round running backs.

Smokey Joe
06-09-2008, 08:12 PM
I don't think any of us should be glad, but rather disappointed. Disappointed that once such a good, as close as you can get to a can't miss prospect, is now gone after 3 years. I was one of his biggest backers, but he was a person of horrible judgment. I personally would have given him more time depending on how the charges fell into place and such, but I have no problem with him being cut now for being a freakin dumbass. He wasn't as bad as Tank though, as Tank was a thug more or less. Benson is like his idol Ricky Williams and likes to get hosed up, which isn't a good thing, but it's not as bad as having 100 guns and getting into gun fights at bars.

Oh well, I just wish this happened before the draft so we could have gotten someone like Hillis, Hester (Jacob that is), or Schmitt in the draft. I don't think even if we did cut Benson before the draft, we would have done anything different with the 1st two picks.

BeerBaron
06-09-2008, 08:15 PM
I don't think any of us should be glad, but rather disappointed. Disappointed that once such a good, as close as you can get to a can't miss prospect, is now gone after 3 years. I was one of his biggest backers, but he was a person of horrible judgment. I personally would have given him more time depending on how the charges fell into place and such, but I have no problem with him being cut now for being a freakin dumbass. He wasn't as bad as Tank though, as Tank was a thug more or less. Benson is like his idol Ricky Williams and likes to get hosed up, which isn't a good thing, but it's not as bad as having 100 guns and getting into gun fights at bars.

Oh well, I just wish this happened before the draft so we could have gotten someone like Hillis, Hester (Jacob that is), or Schmitt in the draft. I don't think even if we did cut Benson before the draft, we would have done anything different with the 1st two picks.

well ive been saying i think forte one 1st and 2nd downs, AP spelling him now and then, and Wolfe on passing situations could work out.

problem is now, i keep hearing how we should go after shaun alexander or travis henry...blah blah blah.....

no thanks...

Geo
06-09-2008, 09:09 PM
The thing about getting Alexander or Henry is, in my opinion, they're not the vets you want teaching your young guys. They won't set the right tone, I think.

But I think Henry can still play. Alexander on Soldier Field isn't a fit imo.

There will be some RBs cut after training camp to keep an eye on, as well.

BeerBaron
06-09-2008, 09:12 PM
The thing about getting Alexander or Henry is, in my opinion, they're not the vets you want teaching your young guys. They won't set the right tone, I think.

But I think Henry can still play. Alexander on Soldier Field isn't a fit imo.

There will be some RBs cut after training camp to keep an eye on, as well.

deuce mccallister? i know your not talking about the great kenton keith right? lol

Geo
06-09-2008, 09:16 PM
You've just triggered:
I hate Kenton Keith for all eternity and never want to see him in a Colts uniform ever again.

Maybe Marcel Shipp in Arizona? Philly has to cut at least one back, likely Ryan Moats, but he's not really a guy who could start if need be for the Bears. Remember I've always liked the idea of LaMont Jordan in Chicago, even though he's awful at conditioning himself.

Are the Bears going to carry 4 backs anyways? They already have a fullback, and there's only so many players you can keep. Especially when the Bears need depth at OL, DL, LB, CB, and S.

Smokey Joe
06-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Is Kevin Jones still available?

Smokey Joe
06-09-2008, 09:57 PM
well ive been saying i think forte one 1st and 2nd downs, AP spelling him now and then, and Wolfe on passing situations could work out.

problem is now, i keep hearing how we should go after shaun alexander or travis henry...blah blah blah.....

no thanks...

I hate that idea of using Wolfe on passing situations only because you are pretty much telling the other team "Okay, we're gonna pass now." Forte is an every down back, and he has the receiving and blocking ability to be one. Wolfe and Peterson should be backups, plain and simple.

BeerBaron
06-09-2008, 10:03 PM
I hate that idea of using Wolfe on passing situations only because you are pretty much telling the other team "Okay, we're gonna pass now." Forte is an every down back, and he has the receiving and blocking ability to be one. Wolfe and Peterson should be backups, plain and simple.

ok, its not quite that blatently obvious......but its in a similar way to....idk....how the pats use kevin faulk.

Bearsfan123
06-10-2008, 12:34 AM
ok, its not quite that blatently obvious......but its in a similar way to....idk....how the pats use kevin faulk.

yeah i like that, and if things dont start out to well, vets ARE available. Kevin Jones is my pick, but hell we might be a better team with these three sharing the load.

bearsfan_51
06-10-2008, 12:47 AM
Has anyone ever left the Lions and done well elsewhere? (We can debate how many players actually do well in Detroit but that's another story)

I just have the feeling that if Detroit cut him, and nobody else picked up him, he's probably not going to play this year. He's been sitting for too long for somebody to not want to give him a chance.

I'd just bring in another UDFA or two. Let competition sort it out, it's not like we're strong in any other area on offense, unless you count tight end.

diabsoule
06-10-2008, 01:13 AM
Aaron Stecker could be an option if a deal could be struck to trade w/ the Saints to trade for him.

I still think Travis Henry is probably the best option for you guys that is available right now.

BeerBaron
06-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Aaron Stecker could be an option if a deal could be struck to trade w/ the Saints to trade for him.

I still think Travis Henry is probably the best option for you guys that is available right now.

i really kind of doubt we'd dump one trouble making RB who is possibly teetering on the edge of suspension for another...

Geo
06-10-2008, 10:56 AM
The Bears can still run the ball with Wolfe imo, especially with draw plays, and you're right in saying he shouldn't just come in on third downs only. Granted he probably won't see many 3rd and 1s, you know, but he can do some things on the ground and in the air. Rookie Matt Forte might get the most touches, but Peterson and Wolfe are capable backs experienced in the offense and could carry most of the load for this season really.

BeerBaron
06-10-2008, 10:59 AM
The Bears can still run the ball with Wolfe imo, especially with draw plays, and you're right in saying he shouldn't just come in on third downs only. Granted he probably won't see many 3rd and 1s, you know, but he can do some things on the ground and in the air. Rookie Matt Forte might get the most touches, but Peterson and Wolfe are capable backs experienced in the offense and could carry most of the load for this season really.

i think AP serves the team the best working all of the aspects of special teams like he does and just giving the main back a breather from time to time....i think our team was hurting towards the end last year with him getting most of the work.

Geo
06-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Peterson might also be the best pass protector right now, Forte's got some learning to do and Wolfe is better served chipping a guy (on a route). He was a good draft pick for the Bears, definitely.

BeerBaron
06-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Peterson might also be the best pass protector right now, Forte's got some learning to do and Wolfe is better served chipping a guy (on a route).

i understand that though if you had to play a rookie at one spot on your team, i think just about everyone would pick for it to be at RB.

I'm willing to bet with Benson cut now, AP will move to #1 on the depth chart but like i said, his best value to us imo is playing all of the aspects of special teams and subbing from time to time. i think forte will have every chance to supplant him as the starter if things stay as they are now.

Geo
06-10-2008, 11:18 AM
The most important offseason goal for the Bears hasn't changed: get the offensive line back to being consistently good. That will set up both the passing game and the running game for a chance at success, because there was little chance for either with the swiss cheese penalty-fest OL play we saw last season. But I think the Bears are very much focused on that goal, which is great for them imo. Seems there's healthy competition at LT between John St. Clair and Chris Williams, which is good to see.

Getting Kirk Barton at the end of the Draft was a really good pick btw, really good pick. As was Marcus Monk, stellar pick there. Bears cleaned up in the 7th round.

awfullyquiet
06-10-2008, 12:21 PM
i understand that though if you had to play a rookie at one spot on your team, i think just about everyone would pick for it to be at RB.

I'm willing to bet with Benson cut now, AP will move to #1 on the depth chart but like i said, his best value to us imo is playing all of the aspects of special teams and subbing from time to time. i think forte will have every chance to supplant him as the starter if things stay as they are now.

if he is a #1, it'd be a #1 in name only. "starting" is an overrated concept when touches will probably be 50 forte, 35 AP, 15 Wolfe (percentages).

I do disagree about the pats and kevin faulk though. More like the packers pre-ryan grant i think would be the more analogous situation (although, forte > morancey)

BeerBaron
06-10-2008, 02:00 PM
if he is a #1, it'd be a #1 in name only. "starting" is an overrated concept when touches will probably be 50 forte, 35 AP, 15 Wolfe (percentages).

I do disagree about the pats and kevin faulk though. More like the packers pre-ryan grant i think would be the more analogous situation (although, forte > morancey)

ok....#1 in name only then. the guy who starts out the game and gets the most touches. however we need to say that for it to make sense to everyone else.

i was just saying about forte "being #1" because lovie had said that it was bensons job and all rookies need to work their way up or some such thing.

well, i think forte will work past AP

awfullyquiet
06-10-2008, 05:27 PM
ok....#1 in name only then. the guy who starts out the game and gets the most touches. however we need to say that for it to make sense to everyone else.

i was just saying about forte "being #1" because lovie had said that it was bensons job and all rookies need to work their way up or some such thing.

well, i think forte will work past AP

i'm saying forte won't get #1 touches. i think no one will get more than 50% of the touches this year (if no on gets more than 50%, imo they're not a #1). jason mckie also will probably get more IMO.

i agree forte will work his way and be the de facto #1 on the depth chart. but he's far from it

Smokey Joe
06-11-2008, 03:59 PM
If he'd be willing to play guard... we should really make a play for LeCharles Bentley.

BeerBaron
06-11-2008, 04:23 PM
If he'd be willing to play guard... we should really make a play for LeCharles Bentley.

couldn't hurt just as an extra body to work with. he'd have to be willing to sign for cheap though because his injuries bother me

Smokey Joe
06-11-2008, 08:33 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_NFL.aspx

Bentley wants to play guard... but he was timed in the 7's. I still think Bentley would be worth the risk, pending on his asking price.

I also read that Kevin Jones hopes the Bears contact him. I hope so to.

BeerBaron
06-11-2008, 08:35 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_NFL.aspx

Bentley wants to play guard... but he was timed in the 7's. I still think Bentley would be worth the risk, pending on his asking price.

I also read that Kevin Jones hopes the Bears contact him. I hope so to.

7's.....as in....in took him over 7 seconds to run a 40? cause that would be not just bad, but terrible.....yes he's coming off injury but ouch

for the right price i guess. like...veteran minimum right price.....

Smokey Joe
06-11-2008, 08:37 PM
I'd offer him up or close to 1 million guaranteed, with incentives that can make it raise a few million. I'd also tell him that the LG spot is his to lose.

BeerBaron
06-11-2008, 08:38 PM
I'd offer him up or close to 1 million guaranteed, with incentives that can make it raise a few million. I'd also tell him that the LG spot is his to lose.

as long as we're in a good cap situation, which i think we are, i suppose it couldn't hurt too bad. worst case is he just gets cut in TC

regoob2
06-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Woooooooo Happy B-day BeerBaron!!!!!! Get your ass of the computer and go party!!!!

BeerBaron
06-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Woooooooo Happy B-day BeerBaron!!!!!! Get your ass of the computer and go party!!!!

I had to work! Put a damper on my partying ability a bit......

Don't worry though, I'll have a makeup birthday celebration when I'm back at school and not working...and I'll have money then from all the working.

a vicious, vicious cycle

BeerBaron
06-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Doesn't look like we're going to add a FA RB of any kind:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d808e8a5d&template=with-video&confirm=true

MidwayMonster31
06-18-2008, 10:29 PM
I don't really see what Kevin Jones coming off lisfranc surgery, and also hasn't done a whole lot, Travis Henry coming off of injuries and other issues, or a has-been like Shaun Alexander would've solved. I'd feel more comfortable going with a younger guy and see what he can do. Hopefully Wolfe develops well enough to earn the #2 spot.

Bearsfan123
06-19-2008, 09:49 AM
well since the forum is dead here. Lets talk the future. Since we most likely will be a losing team next year, what are our options? The supposed "top" qbs are Matt Stafford Georgia
Sam Bradford Oklahoma
Tim Tebow Florida
and the senior Curtis Painter Purdue

The only way any of these guys get in the top 10 is if they have an amazing year. But as for now, their stocks are mid first earliest. Our other option is to trade for a vet, Anderson might be available if he has a year not quite as good as last year but close, McNabb, Sage Rosenfels. You get the point. Only Anderson is young out of that group. McNabb is injury prone. Rosenfels is untested.
The third option is to offer the sun and moon for potential. If Anderson repeats his great year, the Browns get closer to competing, and we offer enough, I'm not sure the Browns would say no to trading Quinn.

Anyway its just some food to start some discussion.

BeerBaron
06-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Well lets not be so negative here.

We managed 7-9 last year with spotty QB play, a ****** run game, piss poor o-line blocking and a defense plagued with injuries.

And I think we improved the o-line by drafting Chris Williams and switching Tait to the right side, helping out 2 spots with 1 move. If we can find a worthwhile LG, I think our o-line will have improved.

Then the run game, we don't have that lazy p-word Benson in there anymore. If Forte can just be a little tougher in there and do just a little better, that should improve. We managed to end the season on a good 2-1 note with AP running behind a bad o-line with an injured defense....

And then of course, the defense will be healthy. That should be the biggest thing. If it stays healthy, that should be worth another 7-9 season alone IMO.

Plus its hardly like our division is stacked. Theres no question that the Packers will take at least 1 step back going from a hall of fame QB to Rodgers who is essentially a rookie in terms of actual playing experience. So they might be somewhat vulnerable.

And the Vikings scare me quite a bit and should still have a dominant run game and run stopping defense. Allen will help their pass rush as well...but their AP has already shown some signs of being a little brittle last year so theres no guarantee he holds up and yeah, they do have Chester Taylor but I don't believe he's quite as dynamic...Plus, the biggest point with them, is that lousy QB play can derail even the greatest run games and defenses. We should all know that for fact as Bears fans eh?

And the Lions....I'm not even going to go there. I'll think they have a chance of anything when they go out and prove they do.

I don't think we're as bad off as some people who are giving us top 5 picks in their mocks think we are. If our defense is healthy, that alone is worth enough wins to keep us out of the top 10 in the draft. I forsee another season around .500 with a draft pick in the teens.

And at that point, if it looks like we need a QB, I would be willing to just send that first rounder straight up for Anderson if he has another worthwhile year in Cleveland.

If we end up there and thats not an option, I wouldn't mind bringing in a top WR. Looks like there should be some good ones next year with Crabtree, Heyward-Bey, Harvin...that guy from Missouri who's name escapes me.....all available. I would think that would probably be our 2nd greatest need.

I also wouldn't rule out more o-line help if there was a good RT or fantastic OG available. Hell even a stud RB could be possible to split time with Forte. Maybe find some lightning to Forte's thunder.

Bearsfan123
06-19-2008, 10:31 AM
See Im not as positive as you are. (in this case anyway). I dont see us winning more than 7 games tops, and I believe 4-5 more realistic. Yes we have a relatively weak division, but our Defense is brittle. We have the talent but not much of it stays healthy. Qb play is bad most likely, and at RB we have an unknown plus two backups. Our O-line pass blocking should be improved, but run blocking? Kreutz and Tait are a year older, it really isn't Williams strength, and our Guards are a mess.

I see us in the top 10 probably near the 7-8 range. My dream is if Cleveland makes a leap forward but just doesnt get over the hump in the playoffs. We could offer our 1st, 3rd, Daniel Graham (or McBride) and maybe a future 3rd for Quinn. I think he has the tools to perform in Chicago. Realistically though, Id just trade down and draft one of the first round guys.

BeerBaron
06-19-2008, 10:53 AM
See Im not as positive as you are. (in this case anyway). I dont see us winning more than 7 games tops, and I believe 4-5 more realistic. Yes we have a relatively weak division, but our Defense is brittle. We have the talent but not much of it stays healthy. Qb play is bad most likely, and at RB we have an unknown plus two backups. Our O-line pass blocking should be improved, but run blocking? Kreutz and Tait are a year older, it really isn't Williams strength, and our Guards are a mess.

I see us in the top 10 probably near the 7-8 range. My dream is if Cleveland makes a leap forward but just doesnt get over the hump in the playoffs. We could offer our 1st, 3rd, Daniel Graham (or McBride) and maybe a future 3rd for Quinn. I think he has the tools to perform in Chicago. Realistically though, Id just trade down and draft one of the first round guys.

thats way too much to give up for anderson, especially if we're in the top 10. I be we could have had him last year straight up for a first had we wanted to.

And I don't see why you call our defense "brittle." Only Mike Brown really fits that bill as last year, there were quite a few guys experience injuries who don't normally.

And this is teh same defensive group that absolutely crushed the Chargers high powered offense in game one before grossmans terrible play forced our defense to be out there too much and they got tired and started getting hurt. (i believe we lost both brown and dvoracek in that game alone) it was all downhill from there.

If our offense can just play more mistake free, something KO is better at that grossman, it at the very least allows our defense to rest a little more between drives and can help to avoid some of the recurring injuries we face.

Bearsfan123
06-20-2008, 12:54 AM
Brown, Dvoracek. Brown is the KEY cog to our D. Dvoracek is gonna be labled a bust if he gets hurt for a third straight year. Urlacher has a cronic back problem, most likely. Harris hasnt been 100% in about a year. Vasher will hopefully come back at full strength. Our D is brittle. Too many guys injured. And I said for Quinn. A first, third, and Daniel Graham? Id say thats about what they gave up for him right?

awfullyquiet
06-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Then again, we dont' realllly know what this years QB class will be like.

I mean, we all know tebow will be tebow, and the bears wouldn't pick him nor get him. Painter is the only option, in my eyes.

bearsfan_51
06-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Brown, Dvoracek. Brown is the KEY cog to our D. Dvoracek is gonna be labled a bust if he gets hurt for a third straight year. Urlacher has a cronic back problem, most likely. Harris hasnt been 100% in about a year. Vasher will hopefully come back at full strength. Our D is brittle. Too many guys injured. And I said for Quinn. A first, third, and Daniel Graham? Id say thats about what they gave up for him right?
I'm not sure a 3rd round pick can be a bust.

I'm a bit Painter fan too, although it's awfully early. I also like Cullen Harper.

SFbear
06-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Bears | Lloyd likely to start
Thu, 26 Jun 2008 14:29:00 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of ESPN.com, reports Chicago Bears WR Brandon Lloyd is likely to start at wide receiver.

Either Lloyd finally has his head on straight and is unlocking his potential or we really do have the worst wide reciever group in the NFL.

Gay Ork Wang
06-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Id say prolly both

BeerBaron
06-27-2008, 02:26 PM
indeed....could be both, lol.

i guess the prediction many of us had when we signed lloyd that he would be cut in TC isn't going to happen......

SFbear
06-27-2008, 05:07 PM
indeed....could be both, lol.

i guess the prediction many of us had when we signed lloyd that he would be cut in TC isn't going to happen......

I think Bradley is going to get the boot.

MidwayMonster31
06-27-2008, 05:20 PM
I would definitely say 'both' to answer SFBear. He has played better under Ron Turner and could do well. At the same time, only a team with a WR corps as crappy as ours would've given him a chance in the first place.
I think Hass and Bradley are gone and Monk goes on IR.

Bearsfan123
06-27-2008, 10:53 PM
why Monk on IR???

bearfan
06-27-2008, 11:20 PM
why Monk on IR???

Isnt that JA's sort of redshirt type thing? Put a young guy on IR, that way no team can touch him if he is on practice squad.

MidwayMonster31
06-27-2008, 11:20 PM
In case his knees are still causing him problems, or if there's no room for him on the roster.

Bearsfan123
06-28-2008, 10:16 AM
oh for a second I thought he was injured again. Im actually thinking he might be a big contributor this year if Booker doesnt cut it and Lloyd is himself.

diabsoule
07-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Zach Bowman, Earl Bennett, and Marcus Harrison have all signed 4 year deals.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3469390

Gay Ork Wang
07-02-2008, 03:17 AM
Zach Bowman, Earl Bennett, and Marcus Harrison have all signed 4 year deals.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3469390
check the 2008 draft thread ;)

SFbear
07-25-2008, 12:24 PM
So Olin is out with an ankle injury and Chris Williams is out with back spasms. Also from what Ive heard Terrence Metcalf looks terrible at left guard.

Championship.

BeerBaron
07-25-2008, 12:27 PM
So Olin is out with an ankle injury and Chris Williams is out with back spasms. Also from what Ive heard Terrence Metcalf looks terrible at left guard.

Championship.

injuries ftw....they will be the bane of our existence if we are to fail miserably again this year....

awfullyquiet
07-25-2008, 12:41 PM
In the remote possibility that Brett Favre comes to the Bears, do you think they would consider moving Brian Urlacher to wide receiver since Favre has had such great success throwing to him the past few years?

Mike J.
Davenport, Iowa

Love your question, Mike. It sounds like a good idea, but don’t forget that Lance Briggs, Alex Brown, Danieal Manning and Brandon McGowan also have picked off Brett Favre passes in recent seasons. That could cause a glut at wide receiver!

Gay Ork Wang
07-25-2008, 06:33 PM
haha yea i loved that one when i read it, i put it into my sig

regoob2
07-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Terry Glenn anyone??

BeerBaron
07-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Terry Glenn anyone??

eh...no thanks. I don't see him as much of an upgrade and he wouldn't help for more than a year or two anyway. Let some of the young guys see if they can prove themselves across from Booker this year. If they do, fantastic, if not, well at least we know for next year

Gay Ork Wang
07-25-2008, 07:26 PM
we need to get some of the young guys some experience. Terry Glenn would prolly just be injured after week 2

Gay Ork Wang
07-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Seems like beekman is playing for the injured Olin. I like him, i hope he can emerge and be our Guard or C eventually

SFbear
07-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Seems like beekman is playing for the injured Olin. I like him, i hope he can emerge and be our Guard or C eventually

Bearreport is saying that Beekman and Metcalf are getting mandhandled by the backup DTs (Harrison and Toeina). Of course this could all mean that our DTs are going to wreak havoc on the NFL but I'm still not optimistic about our line this year even with Kreutz healthy.

bearsfan_51
07-28-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm pretty sure that St. Clair will be our starting left guard. It'd be nice if Beekman stepped it up, but we're really basing that off of nothing other than what he did in college.

SFbear
07-28-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm pretty sure that St. Clair will be our starting left guard. It'd be nice if Beekman stepped it up, but we're really basing that off of nothing other than what he did in college.

That would leave us thin at tackle especially with Williams having back problems, but I really would prefer that to giving it to Metcalf. Ideal scenario right now would be a Ricky Manning jr. trade for a vet interior guy. We really can't afford to put someone shaky next to Chris Williams. This does make our complete lack of interest in LeCharles Bentley puzzling.

Gay Ork Wang
07-28-2008, 06:16 PM
seems like we will play Graham in the nickle, he seems to play great

awfullyquiet
07-28-2008, 08:36 PM
That would leave us thin at tackle especially with Williams having back problems, but I really would prefer that to giving it to Metcalf. Ideal scenario right now would be a Ricky Manning jr. trade for a vet interior guy. We really can't afford to put someone shaky next to Chris Williams. This does make our complete lack of interest in LeCharles Bentley puzzling.

Worst case scenario, you move him back outside if need be... switch tait back to the left... there's still some flexibility in our line...

regoob2
07-29-2008, 05:38 PM
edit delete

bearsfan_51
07-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Danieal Manning is the nickle, unless you're reading something I'm not.

SFbear
07-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Danieal Manning is the nickle, unless you're reading something I'm not.

Yeah thats what I heard. Also Ricky Manning Jr. is getting the Mark Bradley treatment and is all the way at the bottom of the depth chart. They're even starting Bowman over him in place of Tillman. I think his release or trade is imminent.

Ive read the line also looks a lot better with Kreutz back in which should be expected. Metcalf is still getting beat by everybody he lines up against though. Williams is still out and "coincidently" the organization is now touting how hard St. Clair is working to hold the LT spot. Im worried about Grossman finishing the preseason in one piece.

Forte, Bennet, Harrison, Bowman, K.Davis have all looked promising. Haven't heard a lot about Steltz or Monk.

bearsfan_51
07-30-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm pretty concered about Williams. There were rumors of him being a little soft and having some medical issues, the main reason why I prefered Otah.

If he was a defensive player I'd have more faith, but the odds are stacked against him to accomplish anything being an offensive Jerry Angelo pick.

SFbear
07-31-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm pretty concered about Williams. There were rumors of him being a little soft and having some medical issues, the main reason why I prefered Otah.

If he was a defensive player I'd have more faith, but the odds are stacked against him to accomplish anything being an offensive Jerry Angelo pick.

Otah's mowing people down in the running game and I hear Albert will pan out at LT. If Williams busts, this may be the worst pick in Angelo's career. Especially when this was a pick that we really couldn't afford to mess up if we wanted to stay competitive.

Its still too early to tell though...*sigh*

MidwayMonster31
07-31-2008, 03:40 PM
Forte has been getting some rave reviews according to the team site (http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4931).
I agree with everyone, if Williams busts, that would be one of the worst things to happen to the team.

ChezPower4
08-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Otah's mowing people down in the running game and I hear Albert will pan out at LT. If Williams busts, this may be the worst pick in Angelo's career. Especially when this was a pick that we really couldn't afford to mess up if we wanted to stay competitive.

If Williams does bust (which only time will tell and he has a lot of time to improve) then I still don't see this as a worse pick than taking Benson 4th overall in 2005

Bearsfan123
08-01-2008, 12:22 PM
If Williams does bust (which only time will tell and he has a lot of time to improve) then I still don't see this as a worse pick than taking Benson 4th overall in 2005

No the reason it could possibly be worse, is because that there are others who play the same position that look like they will turn out better. And for the 05 draft there really wasnt anyone worth the selection that we needed at the time.

regoob2
08-01-2008, 12:27 PM
No the reason it could possibly be worse, is because that there are others who play the same position that look like they will turn out better. And for the 05 draft there really wasnt anyone worth the selection that we needed at the time.
Guys the pre-season hasnt happened yet lets give the kid a yr or 2 before we start talking bust. He was the best pure LT prospect available. Otah will likely never play LT, and Albert will likely struggle for some time. Williams upgraded our line immediately (barring he doesnt get hurt again) and is a real smart football player. Yes he needs to bulk up and play with a mean streak but only time will tell.

bearsfan_51
08-01-2008, 01:23 PM
If he has a chronic injury problem none of that will matter. Hence it's not premature to discuss.

regoob2
08-03-2008, 09:38 AM
I didnt even realize that we wont have to go against Steve Smith in week 2 now after the suspension!

Smokey Joe
08-03-2008, 09:54 AM

during camp, everyone's a superstar...

Gay Ork Wang
08-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Albert is prolly out until week 1

sweetness34
08-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Some news and things from Bears TC;

- Rumors from a close friend of Jason McKie's that the Bears are pushing hard for Favre, just keeping it close to their vest. And yes, this guy is legit because Jason came over after practice and talked to him. Don't know how legit the info is though

- Hester had ice on his hamstring and foot and was liming a little bit. I got a media pass to go to Training Camp and was able to talk to him after practice at the dining hall. Didn't seem too serious but you never want to see the Windy City Flyer limping

- The backup PR guys are horrible. Graham, Bennett, and I believe McBride were taking kicks and they looked very uncomfortable. Lets just say we are struck if Hester gets hurt, ha

- OL did a nice job in pass blocking but got overpowered in run blocking. Forte didn't have a lot of room to run. Tommie Harris is a man amongst boys out there, they can't handle him, even with double teams

- I love watching Mike Brown play, always talking and coaching on and off the field. Hopefully he can stay healthy. Running joke among the camera guys and writers was that it's Day 12 and he's still on the field

- Devin Hester really is ridiculous. If the guy keeps refining his route running and gets adjusted to playing WR, he's going to be a monster IMO. Tillman was extremely frustrated trying to cover him. He got burned time and time again, but I can't really say anything bad about Peanut, Devin is one of the fastest and quickest players in the NFL. He made 3 or 4 incredible plays today

- Heard Orton outplayed Grossman on Friday Night at Soldier Field. Well I guess you could call today the Sexy Rexy Show. He outplayed Orton substantially, even with media guys who didn't like Rex were pretty amazed at his play. Rex was on point with pretty much all his throws except for one or two, both were pressured by the DL though. He still throws one of the best deep balls I've seen in person when he sets his feet. Made good decisions (no INT's or fumbles today), checked down when need be, and stepped up in the pocket. Orton was solid as well but some of his passes were flat out terrible, like 10 yards from it's target down field. His medium and short passes were perfect but his long ones down the field were terrible. I guess you can chalk one up for Rexy today in the QB Derby.

- Really like Harrison at DT. Coaches were getting on him about giving more effort but he stuffed the run 3 or 4 straight plays and got some good pass rush. I think he's going to be a load in a year or two

- Olsen made the catch of the day, a one-handed twisting 180 degree catch on the sideline that brought the crowd to its feet. He's so smooth for a guy his size, looked really good

- Booker had a nice day as well, which is good to see since he's been pretty absent in TC so far

- Really like Bennett...Again like Harrison in a year or two he'll be an impact WR. Very quick off the line, can get passed the jam, runs good routes, has great hands, and can go up and get it. Plus he's got some nice speed as well.

- You have to see Forte in person to see how smooth he is. Nice and quick with his cuts, north and south type runner who doesn't hesitate. Runs great routes and has great hands out of the backfield. And has a nice burst to get passed defenders.

- Funniest part from today was Tommie Harris during a water break lining up in front of a pad on the ground. He took off out of his 3 point stance and swan dived right onto the pad, it gave everyone a good chuckle.

More later, gotta go eat.

BeerBaron
08-03-2008, 05:41 PM
All interesting stuff there. Not sure what that says about our defense though when we can't make Rexy mess up......ugh.....I'm just so sick of that guy and all the "WTF!" moments that come with watching him play.

Gay Ork Wang
08-03-2008, 06:06 PM
I like that Hester shows great play against our Secondary which is imo one of the best in the league.

Any bad news?

SFbear
08-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Some news and things from Bears TC;

- OL did a nice job in pass blocking but got overpowered in run blocking. Forte didn't have a lot of room to run. Tommie Harris is a man amongst boys out there, they can't handle him, even with double teams

-

With Chris Williams and Metcalf sidelined, who was on the first string oline? Did St. Clair play guard or tackle?

Its good to see Grossman persevere after getting booed by Bear fans on family night. I heard he got booed for throwing it away in the endzone when no one was open. I really hate Chicago fans sometimes.

sweetness34
08-03-2008, 07:08 PM
With Chris Williams and Metcalf sidelined, who was on the first string oline? Did St. Clair play guard or tackle?

Its good to see Grossman persevere after getting booed by Bear fans on family night. I heard he got booed for throwing it away in the endzone when no one was open. I really hate Chicago fans sometimes.

To be honest I really didn't get a chance to see, didn't have my contacts in so seeing the other side of the field was tough but I believe St. Clair was at LT.

Grossman was lights out today. No other way around it. He was locked in. As people have said, when Rexy is on, he's really good. It's just that he's not consistent. But if he plays like he did today Orton won't touch him and we're in for a good season.

Also, don't put too much stock into the defense and how they perform right now because there is no contact and they can't go all out. The offense has an advantage every play because the D has to lay off a bit. They'll be fine. As long as Brown stays healthy and we can get DD back we'll be good to go.

Oh and we got to interview Olsen, Peanut, and Forte. That was awesome. With the media passes I was about 5 feet from some of the players and really close to the action, it was so freakin' sweet.

blkwdw13
08-04-2008, 08:32 PM
I think it was Beekman and Oakley rotating in the LG position.

BeerBaron
08-04-2008, 08:32 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-2-22/Smith-to-the-Cowboys-.html

While not exactly true Bears news, I have to say that if the Panthers were to trade Smith, I would want him on the Bears...one of the few "troublemakers" I would want.

regoob2
08-04-2008, 10:16 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-2-22/Smith-to-the-Cowboys-.html

While not exactly true Bears news, I have to say that if the Panthers were to trade Smith, I would want him on the Bears...one of the few "troublemakers" I would want.We'll have a top 10 pick possible top 5 so I wouldnt give up a 1st but Id be all for it otherwise. Maybe a 1st round swap and a 2nd. I think he would really motivate our O.

SFbear
08-04-2008, 11:11 PM
We'll have a top 10 pick possible top 5 so I wouldnt give up a 1st but Id be all for it otherwise. Maybe a 1st round swap and a 2nd. I think he would really motivate our O.

How long before he punches Grossman/Orton/Turner in the face?

BeerBaron
08-04-2008, 11:13 PM
How long before he punches Grossman/Orton/Turner in the face?

I think someone might NEED to punch Grossman or Turner in the face, heh....

plus, would you rather have KO throwing to Marty Booker or KO throwing to Steve Smith? One option there is um....clearly superior, lol

Gay Ork Wang
08-05-2008, 08:54 AM
We'll have a top 10 pick possible top 5 so I wouldnt give up a 1st but Id be all for it otherwise. Maybe a 1st round swap and a 2nd. I think he would really motivate our O.
The Panthers dont have a first rounder next year

Smokey Joe
08-05-2008, 09:12 AM
DEPTH CHART!@$#%@!&%$!!!!!!!

Offense

WR--Rashied Davis/Devin Hester, Mike Hass, Brandon Rideau, Ryan Grice-Mullen
LT--John St. Clair, Cody Balogh, (Chris Williams)
LG--Terrence Metcalf, Anthony Oakley, Ryan Poles
C--Olin Kreutz, Josh Beekman, Anthony Oakley
RG--Roberto Garza, Tyler Reed, Chester Adams
RT--John Tait, Kirk Barton
TE--Desmond Clark, Greg Olsen, Kellen Davis, Fontel Mines, Marcus Stone
WR--Marty Booker/Brandon Lloyd, Mark Bradley, Earl Bennett, Marcus Monk
QB--Rex Grossman/Kyle Orton, Caleb Hanie
RB--Matt Forte, Adrian Peterson, Garrett Wolfe, P.J. Pope, (Kevin Jones)
FB--Jason McKie, Lousaka Polite

Defense

LE--Adewale Ogunleye, Dan Bazuin, Joe Clermond, Nick Osborn
DT--Tommie Harris, Israel Idonije, Marcus Harrison
NT--Anthony Adams, Matt Toeaina, (Dusty Dvoracek)
RE--Alex Brown, Mark Anderson, Ervin Baldwin
WLB--Lance Briggs, Jamar Williams, Joey LaRocque
MLB--Brian Urlacher, Nick Roach, Rod Wilson
SLB--Hunter Hillenmeyer, Darrell McClover, Michael Okwo
LCB--Charles Tillman, Corey Graham, Zack Bowman, Leslie Majors
RCB--Nathan Vasher, Trumaine McBride, Ricky Manning Jr., Trey Brown
SS--Brandon McGowan, Kevin Payne, Leonard Peters
FS--Mike Brown, Danieal Manning, Craig Steltz, Josh Gattis

regoob2
08-05-2008, 09:52 AM
The Panthers dont have a first rounder next year
that would be a crappy swap then huh. :)

BeerBaron
08-05-2008, 12:04 PM
that would be a crappy swap then huh. :)

plus the swap would assume that we did worse than them and um...... yeah. I'm not going to admit that, heh

MidwayMonster31
08-05-2008, 06:19 PM
I doubt that Smith gets traded this year. If it happens next year, that would make more sense. The Bears would not contend for a wide receiver who is approaching 30 with the position that they are in.
Also BeerBaron, ice your jaws. It will slow down the blood, but make sure that you have something to cover the skin so you don't get frostbite.

BeerBaron
08-05-2008, 06:48 PM
I doubt that Smith gets traded this year. If it happens next year, that would make more sense. The Bears would not contend for a wide receiver who is approaching 30 with the position that they are in.
Also BeerBaron, ice your jaws. It will slow down the blood, but make sure that you have something to cover the skin so you don't get frostbite.

I think I'm beyond the point of normal post-surgery problems, lol though thanks for trying. I'm going back in tomorrow to see just wtf is wrong with me

MidwayMonster31
08-06-2008, 12:22 AM
Kyle Orton will get the first crack at starting on Thursday.
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4962

sweetness34
08-06-2008, 01:15 PM
And Rex will start in Seattle.

I can only comment on what I've seen but Rex blew Kyle away when I went to TC on Sunday, and it wasn't even close.

Now I understand both have had their share of great practices and both have struggled but if Rex plays to the best of his ability, he's the better option than Orton is. There is a risk with the reward which I understand is why people want Orton to start because he is a more conservative QB, but that's my stance.

MidwayMonster31
08-06-2008, 02:18 PM
I think that quarterback will be a carousal all year. Grossman is a better pure passer, but has problems under pressure and makes more mistakes. Orton does not have as much upside, but he also makes less mistakes and has better pocket presence. It will probably come down to who sucks less.

BeerBaron
08-06-2008, 02:43 PM
I think that quarterback will be a carousal all year. Grossman is a better pure passer, but has problems under pressure and makes more mistakes. Orton does not have as much upside, but he also makes less mistakes and has better pocket presence. It will probably come down to who sucks less.

I think thats Orton to be honest...

And I really don't think the carousel is a good idea. (It usually never is, but specifically here.) Whichever guy wins it really needs to just be left to run with it imo. Just staying consistent with who's behind center might do more for this team that constantly switching them out trying to figure out who sucks less......

I'm also of the mindset that I think it should be Orton's job. He doesn't have nearly as many "WTF!?" moments as Grossman does and I honestly think theres some more games we could have won when Rexy starts if we just had someone in there who would protect the ball a little better. Even just a 3 and out and a punt would help get our defense some more rest and let them come onto the field in a less terrible situation than Rexy often puts them in with his turnover/mistake prone style of play.

Prolly not explaining that to the best of my ability but I think I got my point out at least, lol.....I'm pulling for Orton.

MidwayMonster31
08-06-2008, 03:06 PM
I agree that carousals are never a good idea, but I think that it will happen. Hopefully, Lovie does not want to do that. I think that most fans would rather see Orton as the starter, including me.
BTW, how did the doctor visit go? Eating rice carried me when I had my wisdom teeth removed. Just make sure you use something to soften it up, like yogurt.

BeerBaron
08-06-2008, 03:28 PM
I agree that carousals are never a good idea, but I think that it will happen. Hopefully, Lovie does not want to do that. I think that most fans would rather see Orton as the starter, including me.
BTW, how did the doctor visit go? Eating rice carried me when I had my wisdom teeth removed. Just make sure you use something to soften it up, like yogurt.

I got into see the surgeon today and he took some stitches out of the top that could have been causing the bleeding because they hadn't dissolved yet.

As for the bottom ones that are causing me the most problems, he says that they're still pretty inflamed which is unusual this long after, but they don't look infected. Just to be safe, he gave me another weeks worth of antibiotic and some special mouth rinse to use. Hopefully I heal soon, lol. I have some mashed potatoes for supper tonight, so I'll live....

As for the QBs, yeah, I'm hoping Lovie goes against switching them out every 5 seconds. KO has a 66% career winning percentage that everyone chalks up to having good defense and special teams plays those games but......he had to not **** up in those games to make the win still happen, unlike Rexy most of the time....

Gay Ork Wang
08-07-2008, 07:05 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d809cb2d3

SFbear
08-07-2008, 06:33 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2008/08/fred-miller-bac.html

Son of a *****

BeerBaron
08-07-2008, 06:35 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2008/08/fred-miller-bac.html

Son of a *****

F*****************************************K.

That guy was a god damn sieve last year. I could have gotten sacks against him....thats the last thing we need right now. Keep Tait on the right side and let St. Clair go at LT until Chris Williams gets healthy again which I hope is soon......

Next we'll be hearing that we're bringing back Reuben

Gay Ork Wang
08-07-2008, 07:49 PM
awesome!!! more false starts!

BeerBaron
08-07-2008, 07:51 PM
awesome!!! more false starts!

Nothing like a 1st and 15 on every freaking drive when you have Rexy under center...god thats annoying....

bearfan
08-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Well, I thought our Qbs looked good tonight. I would say that Orton had better stats, and better completion, and made a few good throws, but Grossman had one throw that just wowed me *pressure in his face, beautiful pass to sideline guy*. Still, Orton won the passing %, and had some of his own nice throws.

Caleb Hanie ftw.

iowatreat54
08-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Calab Hanie = Bear's opening day starter!

seriously though, he looked good and will be a good backup...showed good presence and I really liked his mobility especially to avoid the rush, something Sexy and Neckbeard don't really do ever

BeerBaron
08-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Calab Hanie = Bear's opening day starter!

seriously though, he looked good and will be a good backup...showed good presence and I really liked his mobility especially to avoid the rush, something Sexy and Neckbeard don't really do ever

OY! don't be joking around about that....wasn't that long ago when another rookie who had a great preseason ended up our opening day starter......lol

regoob2
08-07-2008, 11:08 PM
I just got back from the game and we're gonna suck this year. I hope there's a QB worth the #1 pick cause that is a definitive possibility.

BeerBaron
08-07-2008, 11:48 PM
I just got back from the game and we're gonna suck this year. I hope there's a QB worth the #1 pick cause that is a definitive possibility.

Like I said, our defense won't let us do Dolphins terrible.......prolly 5 wins and a pick just outside the top 5. My hopes for this season are pretty well crushed by now because if losing Williams wasn't bad enough, we might bring back Fred Miller (toilet flush noise)

sigh

MidwayMonster31
08-08-2008, 12:00 AM
I just got back from the game and we're gonna suck this year. I hope there's a QB worth the #1 pick cause that is a definitive possibility.Stafford in your sig would work just fine, even though I'm more on Cullen Harper's side. Cantwell would also work if he can prove himself this year. I doubt that we're worse than KC, Miami or Atlanta. I think that our defense and special teams are too good to have the worst record in the league.
Seriously though, both Grossman and Orton had their ups and downs. No one really separated themselves. After hearing about Williams having surgery and Miller coming back...****.
Forte looks like he will be a solid player, although he probably can't do much with this line. Marcus Harrison also had a decent game.

Gay Ork Wang
08-08-2008, 09:14 AM
hmm i hope we could see more Caleb Hanie Action. I want to see him against first defenses. Maybe we can get our self a romo :/

BeerBaron
08-08-2008, 09:43 AM
hmm i hope we could see more Caleb Hanie Action. I want to see him against first defenses. Maybe we can get our self a romo :/

Mel Kiper sure seemed to like him coming out. I normally disagree with most things about Kiper but this is one I'm hoping he's right on....

Leave it to the Bears to figure out a way in which an undrafted rookie QB could be their best option at QB.....ugh

iowatreat54
08-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Like I said, our defense won't let us do Dolphins terrible.......prolly 5 wins and a pick just outside the top 5. My hopes for this season are pretty well crushed by now because if losing Williams wasn't bad enough, we might bring back Fred Miller (toilet flush noise)

sigh

I don't think we are 1-15 terrible, but if our D played like they did last night we are definitely a 5 win team at most...outside of the CBs sticking with their guys and DEs getting good penetration, they looked terrible...safeties were constantly out of place, LBs didn't really do anything, DL was solid but kept getting pushed and there were way too many gaping holes to run through, and not to mention our whole team couldn't tackle to save their lives...I just really hope it was everyone being a little rusty (I think it was) because if that's what the Chiefs offense can do to us, it'll be a very very long season and I'll be looking forward to a top 5 pick

sweetness34
08-08-2008, 04:27 PM
It's ******* preseason.

BeerBaron
08-08-2008, 04:32 PM
It's ******* preseason.

I wasn't talking about the game. The fact that Williams is hurt and we're desperate enough to bring back Fred Miller scares the bejeesus out of me.....

MidwayMonster31
08-08-2008, 04:44 PM
I wasn't talking about the game. The fact that Williams is hurt and we're desperate enough to bring back Fred Miller scares the bejeesus out of me.....Ditto. I couldn't care less about the outcome of the games. I'm more concerned about not getting hurt.

sweetness34
08-08-2008, 05:25 PM
I was referencing those saying were are going to be absolutely terrible this season.

If our defense is healthy we will be around a .500 team at least. Forte is an upgrade over Benson, IMO our QB play will be better, and our ST's are one of the best in the league. The only concern I have for this team is the OL, yes the Williams injury does suck and it hurts our team but I still have confidence we can win some games this season.

I hated Moose and Berrian was a bust last season...Do we have a #1 WR? No but Hester and Davis are improved, I liken Booker to Moose and if Lloyd has his head screwed on straight he can be a decent WR. Add in Bennett and Bradley and I like our WR corps. Are they great? No, but they're solid.

But as long as we avoid injuries on defense I like the upside of this team.

BeerBaron
08-08-2008, 05:27 PM
I know we weren't going to be SB contenders or anything even with Williams but I was really looking forward to this season. I felt like we could stick around .500, stay competative in the division, and get guys like Williams, Forte, Hester and Bennett some much needed experience to move our offense along.

Losing Williams until November is a tough blow in my mind. Maybe it won't change much for this particular season but I was hoping to be back in contention teh season after this with another new crop of rookies to help out and maybe some FA's.

k0ng
08-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Dvoracek and KJ are going to practice tonight.

Gay Ork Wang
08-09-2008, 02:15 PM
I am happy to hear that about Dusty

btw how did Wolfe do in the Match?

bearsfan_51
08-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Hey Sweetness,

We're going to be ******* terrible this season.

The only concern you have on our team is the offensive line? Seriously? You aren't concerned that we have a ******* ****** and a guy that fumbles the ball when nobody touches him leading the offense?

I predicted six wins pre-Williams injury. Now I'm thinking three or four. Hopefully Tim Tebow comes out, he's about the only player I think is worth top pick money.

sweetness34
08-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Hey '51,

I disagree. But that's my opinion. I do agree losing Williams is going to hurt a lot but if, if, if our defense can stay healthy in this weak division, we can win some games.

Btw, enough of the Hanie love fest. He looked good, against 3rd string players. Orton looked awesome in preseason his rookie year too and look where it got him. I like Hanie but this "we found our starter" garbage after one game against practice squad players doesn't mean jack ****.

BeerBaron
08-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Hey '51,

I disagree. But that's my opinion. I do agree losing Williams is going to hurt a lot but if, if, if our defense can stay healthy in this weak division, we can win some games.

Btw, enough of the Hanie love fest. He looked good, against 3rd string players. Orton looked awesome in preseason his rookie year too and look where it got him. I like Hanie but this "we found our starter" garbage after one game against practice squad players doesn't mean jack ****.

it got him all the way to starting week 1 and going 10-5 that year as a starter..... it's the exception and not the rule obviously but bad example for this, lol

bearsfan_51
08-10-2008, 04:05 PM
I really doubt anyone is being serious about Hanie. I sure hope not anyway.

MidwayMonster31
08-10-2008, 05:07 PM
It took Grossman getting hurt and Hutchinson *shudder* playing himself out of the roster for Orton to get his shot in 2005. I would pray like hell that doesn't happen this year. Hanie has a nice arm but needs a lot of work. He could be the starting quarterback eventually, just not now.

BeerBaron
08-10-2008, 05:09 PM
It took Grossman getting hurt and Hutchinson *shudder* playing himself out of the roster for Orton to get his shot in 2005. I would pray like hell that doesn't happen this year. Hanie has a nice arm but needs a lot of work. He could be the starting quarterback eventually, just not now.

We still did well that year.... I doubt we ever luck out like that again but who knows. The funny part of it is that it was our defense getting blown away by Steve Smith that lost us the playoff game too. I remember that day....terrible feeling...

Smokey Joe
08-10-2008, 07:37 PM
I really doubt anyone is being serious about Hanie. I sure hope not anyway.
Don't underestimate the greatness of Caleb Hanie!

bearfan
08-10-2008, 11:31 PM
I will be serious about Hanie within the next 2 years. If he can improve, I think he has the talent, and mechanics to be better than what we have had. I saw a mix of Grossman and Orton, the pocket awareness of Orton, and stepping up, and the quicker release and throws og Grossman. Plus he is decently mobile which is a plus. Tony Romo 2.0!

Smokey Joe
08-11-2008, 01:18 AM
Hanie showed the most pocket presence of any Bears QB in the past 5+ years...

SFbear
08-11-2008, 01:44 AM
Don't worry. Fred Miller will do his best to make sure Hanie sees the field at some point this year.

Gay Ork Wang
08-11-2008, 06:26 AM
As of now i think Grossman looks better

Smokey Joe
08-11-2008, 09:11 AM
As of now i think Grossman looks better
I don't know how you can say that... he looked no better then he did previous years, still making a lot of the same mistakes.

Smokey Joe
08-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Hey Sweetness,

We're going to be ******* terrible this season.

The only concern you have on our team is the offensive line? Seriously? You aren't concerned that we have a ******* ****** and a guy that fumbles the ball when nobody touches him leading the offense?

I predicted six wins pre-Williams injury. Now I'm thinking three or four. Hopefully Tim Tebow comes out, he's about the only player I think is worth top pick money.
I'm not very excited about this season either, but I believe our D will be top 10 again, and if that's the case, we should probably get around 6-8 wins.

bearsfan_51
08-11-2008, 12:16 PM
I saw the same problems against the Chiefs that I saw all last year, inability to stop the run and stop teams from converting on 3rd down. Until that changes I'm not terribly excited about the defense either.

Gay Ork Wang
08-11-2008, 12:34 PM
I don't know how you can say that... he looked no better then he did previous years, still making a lot of the same mistakes.
I meant better than Orton, at least thats what i get from the Blogs.

sweetness34
08-12-2008, 01:24 AM
Orton was ******* horrible as a rookie. Anyone who argues otherwise is a jag. The defense, ST's, and running game won us games.

The only thing Orton did to help that team was hand the ball off to TJ and not turn the ball over. I like Hanie but he has a long way to go.

BeerBaron
08-12-2008, 10:24 AM
The only thing Orton did to help that team was hand the ball off to TJ and not turn the ball over.

I'm going to turn that statement into something that would help us greatly this year, ready?

To win this year, all we need Orton to do to help this team is to hand the ball off to Forte and not turn the ball over.

Gay Ork Wang
08-12-2008, 10:32 AM
how about some blocking?

sweetness34
08-12-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm going to turn that statement into something that would help us greatly this year, ready?

To win this year, all we need Orton to do to help this team is to hand the ball off to Forte and not turn the ball over.

No, Orton needs to make plays this year for us to win if he's the starter b/c...

A) Our defense isn't what it was 3 years ago, while still very good it's not as dominant

B) Hester won't be kicked to hardly at all, that nullifies the chance of him putting points on the board in the return game

C) Our OL isn't near as good as it was 3 years ago

D) We have a rookie RB who while I think will end up being a helluva player for us, is still in his first year and might take some time to get going

Orton needs to do more than manage the game for us to win. Hence why I'd rather have Rex in there.

bearsfan_51
08-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Not to mention we actually have some good teams in the division now.

BeerBaron
08-12-2008, 01:49 PM
The problem with Rex is that yes, he might be able to go out and "win" us games, but more often than not he goes right out and "loses" them for us. Orton might not win us the game, but he doesn't directly lose them for us either....

Plus our division isn't that horrible. The Packers are guaranteed to take at least one step back if not multiple and the Lions are the Lions. The Vikings do scare me but I think we all know that poor QB play can sabotage a team thats very good elsewhere.

I even admitted that with the way our offensive line looks, I've dropped my estimate from maybe .500 to 5 wins. This is going to be a pretty miserable year but I still think Orton not losing us games gives us a better chance of winning a few than allowing Rex to....ugh.....try and "win" them.

Smokey Joe
08-12-2008, 10:05 PM
I don't care anymore. Choosing between Rex and Kyle is like choosing between Tuberculosis and Malaria... you don't want either, but you're ****** either way.

MidwayMonster31
08-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Too true. Pick your poison.

BeerBaron
08-12-2008, 10:31 PM
I don't care anymore. Choosing between Rex and Kyle is like choosing between Tuberculosis and Malaria... you don't want either, but you're ****** either way.

and Caleb Hanie is the radical new treatment eh? lol

Gay Ork Wang
08-13-2008, 11:18 AM
no he is HIV Positiv which seems better but in the long run could be a lot worse

Hurricane Ditka
08-15-2008, 12:18 AM
We're gonna suck.

Bad.

Gay Ork Wang
08-17-2008, 07:23 AM
Is it just me? or is it frustrating that i only see the offense on the highlights if they throw an Interception or our 3rd stringer comes in?

Average OT LB
08-17-2008, 09:31 PM
what do you guys think about matt forte from a fantasy standpoint? worth trading for?

Bearsfan123
08-17-2008, 10:23 PM
what do you guys think about matt forte from a fantasy standpoint? worth trading for?

no, definately not. Our O-line is too bad.

Number 10
08-18-2008, 06:51 AM
Can I get some thoughts on Earl Bennett?