PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Chicago Bears General Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Gay Ork Wang
08-18-2008, 07:25 AM
Can I get some thoughts on Earl Bennett?
He seems to be fine, it def hurts with that Offense but he seems to have the best TC of any WR so far.

Average OT LB
08-18-2008, 07:29 AM
no, definately not. Our O-line is too bad.

I take it this is somewhat of a consensus.. I'd like to specify.. would forte be appealing to a 12 team league that starts 2 rb's and a w/r flex position? My amateur guess as to how he will preform is that he will get alot of touches and score because hes the best (and only?) goal line option.. is that not so?

Bearsfan123
08-18-2008, 09:17 AM
I take it this is somewhat of a consensus.. I'd like to specify.. would forte be appealing to a 12 team league that starts 2 rb's and a w/r flex position? My amateur guess as to how he will preform is that he will get alot of touches and score because hes the best (and only?) goal line option.. is that not so?

That is correct, but the mistake you made is that our RB situation is most likely going to be by committee. Forte will probably start games, but Kevin Jones will steal alot of touches, and Garret Wolfe will be used sometimes. The committee approach and our bad o-line will definately limit him.

xspikex
08-18-2008, 11:55 AM
After two games I'd say it looks like we'll be able to win maybe 5 or 6 games.
Our oline is terrible, our two QB's too, btw don't they just look really really bad fundamentally? Maybe it's because of the constant pressure they are under.
There is a couple of talented players at the RB and WR position, but I think the offensive playcalling is really holding them back.
The seahawks just started jumping that quick out route, because it was called every other pass play. This probably has something to do with our terrible oline play aswell.

On defense there is speed and talent, but a ton of missed tackles.
There is depth at a lot of positions - DE, CB etc..

But in the end, the offense is going to really hold us back this year..
Change is needed - Tebow in the first maybe?

MidwayMonster31
08-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Kyle Orton has been named the starter for week one.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/NFC/NFC+North/Chicago/Features/2008/arkush081808.htm
This really should not be a surprise to anyone.

SFbear
08-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Kyle Orton has been named the starter for week one.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/NFC/NFC+North/Chicago/Features/2008/arkush081808.htm
This really should not be a surprise to anyone.

So how many games until Chicago fans start booing Orton despite terrible Oline play and start calling for Rex(or Hanie) to start. I'll say 5.

MidwayMonster31
08-18-2008, 07:02 PM
I'll go with 4, they will call for Hanie.

BeerBaron
08-18-2008, 09:07 PM
you'll never...ever....see me calling for rex grossman to start at QB. I'd rather start at QB...

awfullyquiet
08-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Our oline is terrible, our two QB's too, btw don't they just look really really bad fundamentally? Maybe it's because of the constant pressure they are under.
There is a couple of talented players at the RB and WR position, but I think the offensive playcalling is really holding them back.

I agree. Grossman looks better than last year. He's getting a little better presence, but, he's just not having enough time with the playcalling we get. Orton doesn't look much better in that regard. Positive to orton is that he's harder to knock down and doesn't look for the play.

I expect turner to be out at the end of year.

bearsfan_51
08-19-2008, 01:25 PM
So how many games until Chicago fans start booing Orton despite terrible Oline play and start calling for Rex(or Hanie) to start. I'll say 5.
Fan reaction will be interesting this year. I think most people expect us to be bad, but I'm not sure that will pacify the masses.

Orton will get a much longer leash than Grossman would have however. Especially among the Rex-haters that will be happy to just have anyone else.

VoteLynnSwan
08-19-2008, 01:56 PM
Kyle Orton will certainly be worse than Rex Grossman would have... not because of what he'll do, but because of what he won't do.

Kyle Orton will add nothing to this offense... at least when Grossman was in the offense was watchable for a few minutes every game.

sweetness34
08-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Kyle Orton will certainly be worse than Rex Grossman would have... not because of what he'll do, but because of what he won't do.

Kyle Orton will add nothing to this offense... at least when Grossman was in the offense was watchable for a few minutes every game.

This is pretty much my thought process. Orton is a good QB for a team with a dominant OL, good run game, good defense, and good ST's. He's a game manager.

If our team wants to win we have to have more than a game manager. We have a guy who can put up some points. Now granted Rex isn't by any means an All-Pro QB but he gives our offense a dimension Orton doesn't. No one is going to respect our passing game with Orton in at QB. At least wth Rex they might play back a bit to give us some running room lol.

I know Rex is inconsistent but since the majority on here think we aren't going anywhere this year anyway, why not unleash the dragons for another season? What have we got to lose? Instead we go with the conservative decision on a guy who probably won't average 200 yards a game in the air. Awesome.

I'd rather have Hanie in there than Orton.

awfullyquiet
08-19-2008, 02:38 PM
i'm with both of you. grossman, if he can figure out how to pull it out, will give us more wins. not because of what he won't do (turn the ball over), but because what he will do (**** it, go deep).

i like him. i'd give him 1/2 of the season, i'd give hanie the second half.

sweetness34
08-19-2008, 03:09 PM
I just don't see how you can really grade out QB's with our POS offensive line. Orton got great protection in his debut against Kansas City. Rex got smacked against Seattle. In fact I don't think Orton was touched in the first game.

Neither one really asserted themselves but in the 2 preseason games, Orton recieved more protection from the first unit.

Bearsfan123
08-19-2008, 04:24 PM
i'm with both of you. grossman, if he can figure out how to pull it out, will give us more wins. not because of what he won't do (turn the ball over), but because what he will do (**** it, go deep).

i like him. i'd give him 1/2 of the season, i'd give hanie the second half.

Yeah IF he could figure it out. Isn't that what we've been saying for about two years now?
No, Grossman is the worse choice. He will not give us more wins because he gives the ball up too much. He fumbles snaps, he randomly falls down, he throws into double or triple coverage. At least I can count on Orton to NOT hand the ball over to the other team at our 40.

Grossman has had his chance to improve and he has never done it. We saw Orton as a rookie, and in a couple of games last year. I want to give him his chance.

awfullyquiet
08-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Neither one really asserted themselves but in the 2 preseason games, Orton recieved more protection from the first unit.

Sounds like Oline vs. Ced Benson, part two.

VoteLynnSwan
08-19-2008, 05:03 PM
here's the problem... This offense is going NOWHERE with Orton at the helm... We won't be able to run because every team will have 8 or maybe even 9 guys in the box against us, making our already awful OL look even worse, and eliminating any holes the runningbacks may be able to exploit.

Our best offensive weapon right now is obviously Devin Hester... the only thing we're gonna be able to do with Hester and Orton is run WR screens, which will never work since defenses will be keying on Hester every time he's out there. If you've got a guy like Rex who can throw a good deep ball, then at least you may be able to split the safeties and find Hester deep every once in a while.

princefielder28
08-19-2008, 05:06 PM
How has Matt Forte looked thus far?

sweetness34
08-19-2008, 05:13 PM
How has Matt Forte looked thus far?

Good, considering how bad our OL is. He runs hard, has good vision, good speed, can catch it out of the backfield, etc...He'll be a good player but when you have no one to block for you, no RB in the history of the NFL would look very good.

Orton turned the ball over more than Grossman did in camp as well, so this notion that Kyle won't be giving it up as much as Rex is a load of crap as well. He is just as prone to TO's as Rex was, if not more. Orton is garbage, and while Rex may not be an elite QB he in my opinion was the best option for this team. I like our WR corps but they have yet to prove much with this team, I love Forte but he's a rookie, I love our TE's, but it's the OL that pretty much brings us down so much. We need a QB who poses a deep threat down the field, Orton doesn't do that. He's got the arm capability, but he has no accuracy at all. Say what you want about Rex but his deep ball is gorgeous and he can stretch the field.

We need a QB who has the ability to win us games, and I just don't see Orton as that guy. Our team isn't what it was 2 years ago where we could rely on the defefense, kicking, and return game to win every week. We need a QB capable of moving this offense and I believe Rex has a better chance at doing that than Orton does.

bearsfan_51
08-19-2008, 05:59 PM
It's not a load of crap, statistically Orton throws less interceptions per pass attempt, fumbles less, and takes less sacks. I believe he has a better YPA as well. Those are facts backed up by statistics. The decision to start Orton was a total no-brainer. I've never believed that it was 50/50.

bearsfan_51
08-19-2008, 06:00 PM
I'll give you this though, Grossman's deep ball looks great before the defenders catch it.

Geo
08-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Reximus Prime's habit of fumbling the exchange from center is no good.

sweetness34
08-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Reximus Prime's habit of fumbling the exchange from center is no good.

Orton fumbled 4 times under center in TC this year as well.

People on here are saying "lets see what Orton can give us." We already know what he gives us, we watched him his rookie year and we watched him last season. He's a game manager.

I've a believer that we can surprise some people this year but if the rest of you believe this season is going to be really bad, then why not have some fun with it? Throw Rex in there and see how we do because our offense isn't going to do jack **** with Orton at the helm.

MidwayMonster31
08-19-2008, 07:00 PM
The biggest difference I see is how panicky Grossman gets when the rush is coming. Orton has better pocket presence. Hopefully, Orton is just warming the seat for one of the 2009 guys this year.

awfullyquiet
08-19-2008, 07:31 PM
here's the problem... This offense is going NOWHERE with Orton at the helm... We won't be able to run because every team will have 8 or maybe even 9 guys in the box against us, making our already awful OL look even worse, and eliminating any holes the runningbacks may be able to exploit.

Our best offensive weapon right now is obviously Devin Hester... the only thing we're gonna be able to do with Hester and Orton is run WR screens, which will never work since defenses will be keying on Hester every time he's out there. If you've got a guy like Rex who can throw a good deep ball, then at least you may be able to split the safeties and find Hester deep every once in a while.

this is what happens when you let the bears have an offense.

but, most of what you say VLS, is directly attributed to the lack of planning by said offensive coaches. they don't adapt to the players, they want players to adapt to their system. right now, we don't. at all.

bearsfan_51
08-19-2008, 08:01 PM
God damn it. I wrote up a huge statistical analysis and forgot to log in. ****.

Anyway, using Orton's stats from his rookie season is a really false way of going about it. Any rookie is going to do poorly.

Grossman didn't get his first full season until his 4th year in the league. If you take Orton's last 3 games last year (which was his 3rd year in the league) it compares very nicely to what Grossman has done in the last year in a half (ignoring the fact that it is tremendously boosted by Grossman's hot start in 2006).

The fact is that Grossman has been absolutely disgusting since mid-2006 and has very clearly regressed as a quarterback. He had a unbelievable ratio of 1 sack for every 9 attempts he took last year. That's gotta be damn near a record.

Sweetness, your boner for Grossman has once again gotten the best of you. You've always looked at him like he's something that he's not and I'm not sure why. He's terrible. The show is over. Move on. He commits more turnovers, he takes more sacks, and he only throws for minimally more YPA. And, to top it off, he appears to be getting worse over time.

Sorry...I had lots of stats to back it up the first time, but I'm lazy now, do it yo selves.

Cribbs>Hester
08-19-2008, 08:08 PM
You guys can always trade for Derek Anderson...how about Nathan Vasher and a 4th???

bearsfan_51
08-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Derek Anderson sucks monkey balls. The shine is already coming off that golden turd.

Brady Quinn on the other hand...

VoteLynnSwan
08-19-2008, 09:30 PM
to think that Derek Anderson would even be a mediocre quarterback behind our offensive line is just insane. He'd probably be worse than Rex or Orton because he's used to playing in Cleveland.

Cribbs>Hester
08-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Derek Anderson sucks monkey balls. The shine is already coming off that golden turd.

Brady Quinn on the other hand...

Shhh don't tell the rest of the Browns fans that they may **** a brick. I've been saying it since last year that he's not worth a lick. He's a very good backup QB thats it. Oh don't tell other teams either. I'd like to at least get a very good special teams linebacker and a pick from someone out there...please...anyone???

Bearsfan123
08-19-2008, 11:56 PM
Shhh don't tell the rest of the Browns fans that they may **** a brick. I've been saying it since last year that he's not worth a lick. He's a very good backup QB thats it. Oh don't tell other teams either. I'd like to at least get a very good special teams linebacker and a pick from someone out there...please...anyone???

lol i dont think hes that bad, but yeah I agree he looks hella-good only cause he has the weapons. Though Brady did nothing to make me support him the other night either.

SFbear
08-20-2008, 03:27 PM
So I feel it is kind of assumed that if the offense sucks again this year, Ron Turner is gone. Despite the fact that I feel his termintation is overdue Im not sure what he can expected to do with an offense that needs a complete overhaul of the offensive line and has virtually no talent at the skill positions other than TE.

I also get the impression that unless the defense massively dissapoints this year Lovie and Angelo will get another year with a new offensive coordinator to try and turn things around on offense.

Anybody disagree? Does anybody think the Bears organization would put up enough money for a credible and established OC that could actually compensate for Lovie and Angelo's deficiencies on the offensive side of the ball? Ron Turner deserves to be fired but at the same time I don't see him leaving changing much. It seems like were in a catch 22 basically because our head coach is a glorified defensive coordinator and the organization is thrifty when it comes to coaching.

Just throwing some thoughts out there. Again the season hasn't started yet and maybe the offensive line will get their act together and the Ron Turner offense led by Kyle Orton will take care of business, but I'm just not feeling optimistic about the future of the Lovie Smith era in Chicago.

MidwayMonster31
08-20-2008, 03:49 PM
All of us were calling for Turner's head last year. If the offense stinks again, which it probably will, I would have to think that's it for him. I'm already holding out for Lane Kiffin. I figure Al Davis will successfully get rid of him this year. He should be able to do better.

Gay Ork Wang
08-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Trade 2 first rounders for jason peters :D

awfullyquiet
08-20-2008, 04:20 PM
All of us were calling for Turner's head last year. If the offense stinks again, which it probably will, I would have to think that's it for him. I'm already holding out for Lane Kiffin. I figure Al Davis will successfully get rid of him this year. He should be able to do better.

We were. I really wonder what happened two years ago, and what has actually gone on in the organization that has caused such a decline. Age? Hardly. Personnel turnover? Possibly.

I think the primary cause of this HAS to be Ron Turner above grossman and orton, the o-line... His lack of preparation and adaptation kinda makes me want to puke.

sweetness34
08-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Turner just has absolutely no clue how to keep a defense off balance. My dad and I can call a run play from a mile away, and when it gets stuffed they run the same play again. We run some of the worst screen plays I've ever seen, or well we can't execute them at all.

Turner has a decent offensive package, he just doesn't know what the **** he's doing. Granted he doesn't have much of an OL or much of a QB to work with but still.

SFbear
08-20-2008, 06:24 PM
I agree with all the criticisms of Turner but I'm just not optimistic that things will get drastically better if/when he's fired.

MidwayMonster31
08-20-2008, 08:01 PM
We were. I really wonder what happened two years ago, and what has actually gone on in the organization that has caused such a decline. Age? Hardly. Personnel turnover? Possibly.

I think the primary cause of this HAS to be Ron Turner above grossman and orton, the o-line... His lack of preparation and adaptation kinda makes me want to puke.Winning cures everything. Three years ago, when he first came in, we gave him a pass because he had a rookie quarterback and a hold-out runningback who didn't know the offense.
Two years ago, they went to the super bowl. Grossman caught a ton of the blame for the offense scuffling.
Last year, since we weren't winning, and Grossman got benched, everyone who originally thought that Grossman was the problem, finally figured out that the whole offense was the problem, starting with Turner.
No!

See... Griese throws picks because Ron Turner is a bad coordinator.

Rex threw picks because he wanted to and he was the anti-christ.
I also agree with Sweetness, that Turner has a good set of offensive plays, he just doesn't know how to use it. They've had good 4th quarter drives (Eagles / Packers) but they were never able to put everything together. I also think that part of that is on Lovie Smith. If he plans more aggressively and makes more adjustments, every part of the offense should be better.

bearsfan_51
08-20-2008, 08:33 PM
I still want ex-Alabama coach Mike Shula, I think he's the Jaguars quarterback coach now.

I actually disagree with the need to pay assistants top dollar. I think an exception could be made for offensive coordinator, since that's an area we obviously need a lot of help in, but I think for most assistant jobs you want someone up-and-coming and that is hungry, and those guys are usually cheap anyway. The ownership gave Lovie the big bucks, more than he deserves arguably, so I'm happy on that front.

I'm also not a big Ron Turner fan, but I can't really blame him either. He's an average coach with an awful set of players. I don't think Bill Walsh could save our offense.

Race for the Heisman
08-21-2008, 07:23 AM
Winning cures everything. Three years ago, when he first came in, we gave him a pass because he had a rookie quarterback and a hold-out runningback who didn't know the offense.
Two years ago, they went to the super bowl. Grossman caught a ton of the blame for the offense scuffling.
Last year, since we weren't winning, and Grossman got benched, everyone who originally thought that Grossman was the problem, finally figured out that the whole offense was the problem, starting with Turner.

I also agree with Sweetness, that Turner has a good set of offensive plays, he just doesn't know how to use it. They've had good 4th quarter drives (Eagles / Packers) but they were never able to put everything together. I also think that part of that is on Lovie Smith. If he plans more aggressively and makes more adjustments, every part of the offense should be better.

Wasn't that the game where Griese's helmet mike failed and so he just called the plays himself?

MidwayMonster31
08-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Wasn't that the game where Griese's helmet mike failed and so he just called the plays himself?Yes it was. That showed that Turner's offense has the stuff, when Griese called plays it worked. The biggest problem is a total lack of urgency. They had next to no offense before that. In the first Green Bay game, they didn't have a first down until somewhere in the second quarter.

awfullyquiet
08-21-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm also not a big Ron Turner fan, but I can't really blame him either. He's an average coach with an awful set of players. I don't think Bill Walsh could save our offense.

How dare you disrespect Walsh like that.

What was so awful two years ago 51? Essentially the same group of players, only an over the hill o-line. We have the same quarterback(s), types of recievers (old, slow, route runners, a few fast ones, oh, and mark bradley), new running backs... and still, our offense is anemic? do you say last year was all ortons fault? grossmans? ceds? was it really our offensive line that was so terrible? or was it the predictibility, the unwavering commitment to dumb down the playbook and limit the plays so that defenses (and us non-initiated folk), could easily counter with proper adjustments... yummy.

If limiting the plays hasn't worked, why continue with it?

bearsfan_51
08-21-2008, 04:45 PM
The difference between Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson is night and day I'm sorry to say.

The offensive line fell off drastically. The same names doesn't mean the same players.

We actually passed the ball pretty well last year, barring the all-too-common interceptions. I actually thought the passing plays Turner set up were pretty smart given what he had to work with, the problem is that we couldn't hold a pocket to save our life and nobody respected our running game so they could tee off on us.

As for how dumbed down the playbook was, I actually think it was a total 180. I don't think it was dumbed down at all, it was simply too cute. But again, when you can't do the basics you try to see what else will work.

I would put last year's offensive failure at about 95% personel. A lot of that is just my general feeling that coaching is very overrated in the NFL, but some of it is just watching our teams inability to do even the most basic things last year.

Bearsfan123
08-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Alright here is my review of the 3rd preseason game.

Offense: O-line looked decent in pass protection but it was against the lowly 49ers D-line so I expected as much. Run blocking is still an issue, the line doesnt seem to get a consistent push.

Quarterback seems set. Orton looked like a solid QB, again against a pourous 49er defense, yet it was still impressive. He made some good plays. I really can't remember any bad ones. On a side note Grossman just looked terrible again. Maybe the O-line hates him? They didnt seem to block for him at all.

Runningback: Forte looked very solid, again I still see TJ version 2 in him and thats a good thing. Jones looked explosive and if he can run that hard all year we should have a solid one-two punch. Hell, he might even be worth retaining.

Wide Receivers: Hester dropped a ball early and never really got into the game, Davis, a guy I thought we should have cut, came up big. He and Orton seemed to be on the same page throughout the first half, and he nearly had 3tds. Mark Bradley showed his flash for the pre-season. I didnt even see Booker, except for the one pass Grossman threw at him (nearly picked). Lloyd had a good ST play but I wouldnt expect it from him in the regular season. I would have liked to see the chemistry come back again from last week with Lloyd and Orton but Davis stole it, it seems. I didnt re-watch more than 2 minutes into the 4th so i didnt see many of the maybes.

Tight End: Blocking is definately not their best attribute, but they have good receiving ability. Olsen had a couple of plays wiped out from penalties. If they become more serviceable blockers our TE corps could be the best in the league IMO. And I usually don't like to overstate stuff like that.

Defense: Im just gonna go with an overall approach to this. They were terrible, all day to throw, wide open receivers, running lanes up the wazoo, missed tackles galore, just an all around terrible outing. I am hoping it is more due to lack of intensity, but we looked terrible yesterday.

Special Teams: Missed tackles plagued us, but a blocked FG and blocked punt is a damn good start.We took too many chances with the reverse inside the 5 with Daniel Manning, Hester coming out of the endzone then getting tackled in the endzone for what should have been a safety, Manning's fumble on the return. We got lucky with those. Wolfe's fumble we did not get so lucky. Missed blocking assignments. These need to be corrected. Otherwise our special teams might not be so great this year. Although it should still be a good unit.

BeerBaron
08-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Quarterback seems set. Orton looked like a solid QB, again against a pourous 49er defense, yet it was still impressive. He made some good plays. I really can't remember any bad ones. On a side note Grossman just looked terrible again. Maybe the O-line hates him? They didnt seem to block for him at all.

i hope they do. they've gotta be just as sick of his **** as I am, if not moreso.... you block and block and block and that midget hocks up a interception 35 yards down the field and suddenly you have to go try and tackle the guy who made the pick...

I'd hate him too as an o-lineman

xspikex
08-23-2008, 06:10 AM
I'm REALLY worried about our defense.
Looks like we haven't improved on anything that was bad last year.

Constantly looking for the big play has us missing tackles all over the field.
On a WR screen the corner is suppose to break down and make a sure tackle, not lunge himself forward trying to make a play behind the LOS only to miss the tackle and let the WR pick up ten yards.
And the same goes for every position on defense!
Break down, make the tackle!!
Yes we're fast and atlethic on that side of the ball, but having guys throwing themself at the ballcarrier trying to tackle him with one arm just isn't going to work.
There is alot of overpursuiting and really poor block shedding going on as well..
There's so much talent but so many mental mistakes.

awfullyquiet
08-23-2008, 05:02 PM
i hope they do. they've gotta be just as sick of his **** as I am, if not moreso.... you block and block and block and that midget hocks up a interception 35 yards down the field and suddenly you have to go try and tackle the guy who made the pick...

I'd hate him too as an o-lineman

You'd be paid to block. If you're not blocking (which they're not), they should be riding the pine.

They're clearly pulling the same **** with grossman as they did with benson.

BeerBaron
08-23-2008, 05:10 PM
You'd be paid to block. If you're not blocking (which they're not), they should be riding the pine.

They're clearly pulling the same **** with grossman as they did with benson.

For some reason I can't bring myself to actually mind it...

Smokey Joe
08-23-2008, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Grossman getting cut and bringing in someone like Simms to be the backup. I think at this point, Grossman is more of distraction then anything else.

BeerBaron
08-23-2008, 07:39 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Grossman getting cut and bringing in someone like Simms to be the backup. I think at this point, Grossman is more of distraction then anything else.

dude.....that would be amazing. I don't even really want there to be a remote chance of Rex playing this year and I think you know as well as I do that if he's on the roster and KO struggles for more than about 1 game in a row, the temptation to let Rex go and pray for "good Rex" to show up will be there.....

I kind of wanted Pennington for at least that reason when he was still a FA. Simms would be adequate too

MidwayMonster31
08-23-2008, 07:42 PM
I think Smokey Joe has a good point. Grossman does not have any chance of succeeding here. For three straight games, Orton gets much better protection than Grossman did. Eventually, that becomes a trend instead of an anamoly. Fans also can't wait to boo Grossman every chance they get. If everybody doesn't want him that badly, just get rid of him.

bearsfan_51
08-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Simms ******* sucks. I'd rather just have Hanie.

BeerBaron
08-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Simms ******* sucks. I'd rather just have Hanie.

******* suck more than Grossman though? thats really really hard to do....

Geo
08-23-2008, 07:50 PM
I've never ever liked Simms, either in college or in the pros.

Give me Sexy Rexy any day of the week and twice on Sundays instead.

BeerBaron
08-23-2008, 07:56 PM
I've never ever liked Simms, either in college or in the pros.

Give me Sexy Rexy any day of the week and twice on Sundays instead.

only if you get to put him on the other team.....

awfullyquiet
08-23-2008, 08:55 PM
For some reason I can't bring myself to actually mind it...

I can. If you cant control the whims of your offensive line. You are a ****** coach. If i was JA and i could tell my o-line wasn't blocking for one of my players, i'd trade them all to the lions and chiefs.

if you want to say someone sucks, and your own team is out against you. Dude. I don't care how much you may hate grossman, that is piss poor ethics.

bearsfan_51
08-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Yes, Simms is worse than Grossman. Besides being Phil Simms' son what has he ever done?

Geo
08-23-2008, 09:53 PM
He has another man's initials tattoed on his ankle.

Yeah, he's a winner.

Bearsfan123
08-24-2008, 01:38 AM
What about bringing in a guy like Andrew Walter or John Beck? Two younger guys who have lost favor in their respective clubs. Im all for cutting Grossman but not with just Hanie sitting there. Beck or Walter would be a good pr move, they bring in a young guy to sit behind KO.

bearsfan_51
08-24-2008, 01:43 AM
Personally I think Walter is garbage and would killed behind our line.

Beck would make some sense.

Race for the Heisman
08-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Personally I think Walter is garbage and would killed behind our line.

Beck would make some sense.

As I said before, I liked Beck coming out, but if he is as bad as he has reportedly been in Miami, I want no part in him. There's an incredibly slim chance he could do better here than there but given the two teams respective situations, I sincerely doubt it.

BeerBaron
08-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Hmm....I wouldn't be against giving Beck a shot. Problem with that is I've read that the Cowboys are fairly interested in him and might even give up a late round pick to trade for him. The Dolphins are just waiting for the end of the preseason to make sure none of their other QB's get hurt or in case any other teams come at them with a better offer.

bearfan
08-24-2008, 11:12 AM
I would take Walter over Beck. I think Walter has a better long term potential if we were to try and develop him, and he has been in the NFL longer. Beck was a 26 year old rookie...thats older than Kyle right now.

Smokey Joe
08-24-2008, 12:27 PM
It's not a matter if the backup we bring in is better or worse then Rex. It's a matter of having a guy who we will know for sure will not cause any distractions, and someone the whole team has not soiled on. Call me crazy, but I think the whole Bears team is sick of Grossman and won't be sad to see him gone at all... similar to the way they felt about Benson.

bearsfan_51
08-24-2008, 12:49 PM
It's not a matter if the backup we bring in is better or worse then Rex. It's a matter of having a guy who we will know for sure will not cause any distractions, and someone the whole team has not soiled on. Call me crazy, but I think the whole Bears team is sick of Grossman and won't be sad to see him gone at all... similar to the way they felt about Benson.
You really have nothing to base that on. I don't think you're crazy, you're just baselessly speculating.

Publicly most players have showed an unjustifiable loyalty to Grossman. You really can't say that about Benson, who some players had no problem publicly bashing.

Not to mention that it's a terrible policy in general to allow players to make personel decisions.

bearsfan_51
08-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Wow...Marcus Monk got cut today. I expected him to get cut of course, but I thought he would at least make the final 75.

Geo
08-24-2008, 03:28 PM
I was bummed to read that. Did he show any promise?

BeerBaron
08-24-2008, 04:10 PM
hopefully no one else wants him and we get him back on the practice squad...

bearsfan_51
08-24-2008, 04:46 PM
I was bummed to read that. Did he show any promise?
From everything I've read no. The fact that he was below Brandon Rideau and Mike Hass throughout camp says something too.

I'm sure if we wanted him on the practice squad we wouldn't have already cut him.

Smokey Joe
08-24-2008, 05:23 PM
You really have nothing to base that on. I don't think you're crazy, you're just baselessly speculating.

Publicly most players have showed an unjustifiable loyalty to Grossman. You really can't say that about Benson, who some players had no problem publicly bashing.

Not to mention that it's a terrible policy in general to allow players to make personel decisions.
Michael Haynes said in an article a couple months ago that no one in the locker room actually liked Grossman, or something along those lines. And what to do want the players on the team to publicly say? We hate Grossman? Come on now.

And while it might be a bad policy to allow players make personel decisions, you have to keep the majority of your players happy.

It's no secret Grossman is unhappy about being benched, and while he might not be a distraction yet, he has potential to be one. I say just get rid of him now and finally cut ties with him. It's not like he has any upside left with this team. And if Orton sucks and gets benched, we're ****** anyway no matter who the backup is.

bearsfan_51
08-24-2008, 05:32 PM
I can't imagine that Grossman will be a distraction given that nobody cares what he thinks. It doesn't really matter either way, I just think Grossman is a little better than the alternative.

MidwayMonster31
08-25-2008, 09:29 PM
I don't see Grossman as a distraction. If anything, he would be an even bigger distraction if he was starting. Nobody is ever happy over getting benched. At least he decided to deal with it by saying he would do his best as a backup.

Geo
08-26-2008, 02:51 PM
http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2008/08/miller_to_pick_between_bears_a.html

Miller to pick between Bears and Bucs; Manning Jr. headed out
By Brad Biggson
August 26, 2008

The agent for veteran offensive tackle Fred Miller said he expects him to make a decision today between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Bears.

Harold Lewis said the Bears have offered Miller a one-year contract for the minimum of $830,000, and the Bucs have an offer on the table that is believed to be richer. Miller's family lives in the area and he has business interests here.

The Bears are also expected to part ways with cornerback Ricky Manning Jr. later today, one way or another. Manning was told to leave Halas Hall after he was removed from a meeting before practice. The Bears will grant him his release or trade him.

Check back later for more information.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRn5-LQCg2s

BeerBaron
08-26-2008, 02:58 PM
yeah...pretty much. Fred Miller allowing anyone with a body to roar past him and make sacks.....

Sucks for RMJ I think....as long as he didn't have to start, he seemed to excel in the nickel role...

SFbear
08-26-2008, 04:22 PM
What the hell are we doing competing with another team for Fred ***** Miller?

This really drives home why drafting tackles is so important. Otherwise you're left scraping the bottom of the barrel. In the future perhaps Angelo can pick one without a herniated disc in his spine.

Ugh. I just had a terrible thought. What if we end up paying Miller a larger salary than last year.

awfullyquiet
08-26-2008, 05:31 PM
hey.

don't overreact. he won't be starting. maybe just providing depth... incase we have people dying.

BeerBaron
08-26-2008, 05:34 PM
hey.

don't overreact. he won't be starting. maybe just providing depth... incase we have people dying.

Heh, its part of the NFL's new "Mentally Challenged Senior Citizen Offensive Tackle Program."

I'd rather keep some UDFA RT around over Fred.....

awfullyquiet
08-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Heh, its part of the NFL's new "Mentally Challenged Senior Citizen Offensive Tackle Program."

I'd rather keep some UDFA RT around over Fred.....

I personally prefer the ipecac

Splat
08-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Bears release Ricky Manning Jr (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bears-manning&prov=ap&type=lgns)

blkwdw13
08-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Marcus monk claimed on waivers by the giants.

3 minutes ago from txt

Giants | Monk claimed off waivers
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 14:36:25 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the New York Giants have claimed WR Marcus Monk (Bears) off waivers.

For those that wanted Monk on the practice squad.

BeerBaron
08-26-2008, 08:04 PM
oh well....the cutting of Manning was to be expected and like was already said, if we wanted Monk on the PS we probably would have held him through the next wave of cuts

diabsoule
08-26-2008, 08:36 PM
oh well....the cutting of Manning was to be expected and like was already said, if we wanted Monk on the PS we probably would have held him through the next wave of cuts

I hope the Saints grab RMJ. We could use him as our nickel.

BeerBaron
08-26-2008, 08:42 PM
I hope the Saints grab RMJ. We could use him as our nickel.

I think your a little stuffed with guys who would be best off as nickel backs already, lol.

G ay and David would probably be best off there already I'd think

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
08-26-2008, 11:21 PM
How has Kirk Barton looked thus far? Is there potential for him being a servicable guy on the o-line down the road? Or will he be nothing more than a training camp casulty?

Race for the Heisman
08-27-2008, 12:15 AM
How has Kirk Barton looked thus far? Is there potential for him being a servicable guy on the o-line down the road? Or will he be nothing more than a training camp casulty?

PFW gave the impression that he would at least be that (serviceable).

bearsfan_51
08-27-2008, 01:07 AM
I personally have Cody Balogh beating him out for a roster spot, simply because he's more capable of playing left tackle.

Number 10
08-27-2008, 10:44 AM
So what went wrong with Manning in Chicago? I never saw the Tampa 2 fit with him.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that the Giants will be after him pretty aggressively and I must admit, I'd love to see him back in a man based cover scheme where the corners are relied upon to play a physical style. He would not start here, but I'd prefer him in the nickel/dime packages over Madison and Dockery right now.

BeerBaron
08-27-2008, 12:00 PM
So what went wrong with Manning in Chicago? I never saw the Tampa 2 fit with him.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that the Giants will be after him pretty aggressively and I must admit, I'd love to see him back in a man based cover scheme where the corners are relied upon to play a physical style. He would not start here, but I'd prefer him in the nickel/dime packages over Madison and Dockery right now.

Manning struggled as a starter whenever Vasher/Tillman were missing time. Seemed like he gave up a big play quite a bit....

But I did like him as a nickel back. Could be pretty feisty in the thick of things there but if he couldn't help as a starter when needed, I guess he was expendable.

Number 10
08-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Would you agree with me that his release had more to do with the fact he and the coaching staff did not exactly get along than his actual play?

SFbear
08-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Would you agree with me that his release had more to do with the fact he and the coaching staff did not exactly get along than his actual play?

He had a pretty large contract while being unable to back up Tillman or Vasher competently. Meanwhile Trumain McBride, a 7th round pick, was a servicable nickel and looked decent at CB when Vasher went down last year. McBride has kind of regressed right now but I believe last year, cutting or trading RMJ seemed like the logical conclusion.

On the other hand the team has really bent over backwards to keep Danieal Manning on the team despite him looking sub par wherever we put him. And with D. Manning taking over the nickel spot it does look like Lovie is playing favorites.

Edit:
And here's an article that contradicts a lot of what I just said.
http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2008/08/tuesday_night_wrapup_rmj_didnt.html#comments

Oops. I guess money wasn't an issue for RMJ since he had built in incentives that he didn't reach.
FA:
"Manning was well-liked by teammates but got into the doghouse early last season for his practice habits."

This the first I heard of it.

Smokey Joe
08-28-2008, 05:52 AM
I personally have Cody Balogh beating him out for a roster spot, simply because he's more capable of playing left tackle.
I don't know what you have been watching, but Cody Balogh has been one of, if not the worst, OLineman we have had all preseason. He might be playing at LT for preseason and all, but he is garbage there. If he ever faced a 1st team DE, Balogh would be liable to get the QB completely murdered (even though it seems like the 1st team OLine is already capable of that).

Barton has actually played pretty damn good this preseason, and I'd say he's been the 6th best lineman I have seen us put out there. If you think we should keep ****** ass Balogh because he can "play LT', then your ******* nuts.

bearsfan_51
08-28-2008, 11:28 AM
I don't know what you have been watching, but Cody Balogh has been one of, if not the worst, OLineman we have had all preseason. He might be playing at LT for preseason and all, but he is garbage there. If he ever faced a 1st team DE, Balogh would be liable to get the QB completely murdered (even though it seems like the 1st team OLine is already capable of that).

Barton has actually played pretty damn good this preseason, and I'd say he's been the 6th best lineman I have seen us put out there. If you think we should keep ****** ass Balogh because he can "play LT', then your ******* nuts.
Smokey......shut the **** up.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
08-28-2008, 05:40 PM

Smokey this is not 'Nam - there are rules.

bearfan
08-28-2008, 06:30 PM
I hope we keep Barton, he seems like he could be a good player. Dont ask me why, I just like the guy

Gay Ork Wang
08-28-2008, 07:17 PM
This is going to be a loooooooooooong year

sweetness34
08-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Grossman makes it look so so easy. ;)

Orton you ******* suck.

BeerBaron
08-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Well, you don't have to worry about Balogh Smokey:

cuts:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/29/bazuin-among-bears-cuts/

"Players on the way out in Chicago include fullback Lousaka Polite, receiver Mike Hass, defensive end Nick Osborn, running back P.J. Pope and offensive linemen Cody Balogh, Tyler Reed and Ryan Poles."

bearsfan_51
08-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Nick Osborn? Was that Ozzie's son?

Bearsfan123
08-30-2008, 12:52 AM
I dont remember seeing Tyler Reed. How did he perform? Has he improved?

BeerBaron
08-30-2008, 12:54 AM
I dont remember seeing Tyler Reed. How did he perform? Has he improved?

must have performed badly enough to get cut.....probably wasn't any real improvement.

BeerBaron
08-30-2008, 12:38 PM
The Saints just cut Andy Alleman, a G they took in the 3rd round last year. Wonder if he's worth a look at all for us.....can't be that much worse than Metcalf, lol

bearsfan_51
08-30-2008, 12:40 PM
I know Andy, went to school with him.

He was drafted based primarily on his workout numbers, as he played against below average talent at Akron.

Can't say I've seen enough of him in the pros to make a judgement.

Gay Ork Wang
08-30-2008, 01:41 PM
so Andre Woodson was cut by the giants...

If i think back to the times when people predicted the bears to pick him first round lol

Hines
08-30-2008, 01:53 PM
There have been talks between the Steelers and Bears about Max Starks. Have you guys heard of anything?

regoob2
08-30-2008, 01:58 PM
There have been talks between the Steelers and Bears about Max Starks. Have you guys heard of anything?
Where did you hear that? I dont know much about Starks but we could use a OT this year to replace Williams and Tait contract is expensive and nearing its end so I would be all for that.

bearsfan_51
08-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Starks is on contract for 7 million this year, we aren't going to trade for him. We couldn't afford it even if we wanted to. Stop making **** up Hines, you do this for all of your teams.

Hines
08-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Where did you hear that? I dont know much about Starks but we could use a OT this year to replace Williams and Tait contract is expensive and nearing its end so I would be all for that.

The Pittsburgh blog that I read. The Insider on Pittsburgh Sports said that the Steelers and Bears had conversations on a trade. Who knows with that blog though, sometimes they have ******** rumors.

Geo
08-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Seven mil for Max Starks, egad.

bearsfan_51
08-30-2008, 02:04 PM
To think they could have kept Faneca for 7.5

Just stupid is what that is.

Hines
08-30-2008, 02:05 PM
It was stupid, I would rather have franchised Faneca, but what can we do now?

regoob2
08-30-2008, 02:05 PM
I assume if we are talking with them that it would involve restructuring his contract.

bearsfan_51
08-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Jonathan Scott was cut by the Lions. I can't believe I'm advocating taking someone that got cut by the Lions (though I guess we already did that with Kevin Jones), but I think he'd be worth a roster spot.

Smokey Joe
08-30-2008, 07:24 PM
I would have preferred to see us keep Bazuin over TOenia, but either way, it's a waste of a 2nd round pick.

Gay Ork Wang
08-31-2008, 03:48 AM
Willie Anderson got cut. He is old but is there any chance we take a look?

BeerBaron
08-31-2008, 10:26 AM
Willie Anderson got cut. He is old but is there any chance we take a look?

If theres a small chance he's better than Fred Miller, and if we're still looking to sign Fred Miller, I say yes.

I would just really like to avoid bringing back Miller......

pellepelle_10
08-31-2008, 05:33 PM
If theres a small chance he's better than Fred Miller, and if we're still looking to sign Fred Miller, I say yes.

I would just really like to avoid bringing back Miller......

At this point I don't think we have too many options. I agree with you Beer but with the state of our remaining lineman offering him the vet min doesn't sound as bad. I hope we can make a push for old man Anderson.

Gay Ork Wang
09-01-2008, 01:38 AM
We signed both Tyler Reed and Cody Balogh with Joey LaRoque, Erwin baldwin and Fontel Mines to our PS

bearsfan_51
09-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Apparently we are interested in Willie Anderson along with the Ravens and the Chargers.

Be sensible Willie, go to the Chargers.

regoob2
09-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Apparently we are interested in Willie Anderson along with the Ravens and the Chargers.

Be sensible Willie, go to the Chargers.
It would be better than starting St Clair at LT. I think we should move Tait back to LT.

bearsfan_51
09-01-2008, 06:47 PM
I imagine we would sign him to be a backup.

I think we should leave things as they are, if Williams is healthy enough by mid-season great, if he's not we're probably going to be awful either way.

I'm not in favor of adding veterans to a team that has a very small chance of making the playoffs.

regoob2
09-01-2008, 09:19 PM
I think with his size and experience he could be looked at as an OG, he would likely be an upgrade at LG.

awfullyquiet
09-02-2008, 02:47 PM
I would have preferred to see us keep Bazuin over TOenia, but either way, it's a waste of a 2nd round pick.

Either way, They'd still be behind Idonije and Anderson.

Gay Ork Wang
09-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Idonije is a ST monster and if he could get that pure strenght to push through the line and use it at the DT position it would be great

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
09-02-2008, 07:02 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2008/09/bears-add-offen.html

Bears dealt a 2009 draft pick to Tampa Bay for OG Dan Buenning. To make room on the roster they cut Zackary Bowman.

sweetness34
09-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Solid move if he's healthy. He was very good in Tampa from what I've heard, good run blocker.

I hope we can get Bowman on the PS, kid has some tools to be a good player in this league IMO.

awfullyquiet
09-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Idonije is a ST monster and if he could get that pure strenght to push through the line and use it at the DT position it would be great

he's versatile, and is at worst, a backup. not good, but a backup (thus far).

Bearsfan123
09-02-2008, 07:36 PM
I like that the guard is young. Gives us a young guy to replace the failure in Metcalf.

regoob2
09-02-2008, 08:05 PM
I didnt know that Chad Jackson got released from the Pats. I really liked him coming out of college. I should at least look at him he have the worst WRs in all of football.

MidwayMonster31
09-02-2008, 08:14 PM
I didnt know that Chad Jackson got released from the Pats. I really liked him coming out of college. I should at least look at him he have the worst WRs in all of football.Might as well, even though I didn't think much of him when he came out. He looked like a workout warrior. That being said, he is probably a better athlete than any of the Bears WRs. If they can get him on the practice squad while he learns the offense, that would work well.

regoob2
09-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Might as well, even though I didn't think much of him when he came out. He looked like a workout warrior. That being said, he is probably a better athlete than any of the Bears WRs. If they can get him on the practice squad while he learns the offense, that would work well.
We run the most vanilla offense in all of football how hard would it be to learn?

awfullyquiet
09-02-2008, 08:27 PM
We run the most vanilla offense in all of football how hard would it be to learn?

can you say, we need chocolate chip?

Bruce Banner
09-03-2008, 01:32 AM
Solid move if he's healthy. He was very good in Tampa from what I've heard, good run blocker.

Came into camp overweight and was tested at multiple positions...didn't really work out.
He hasn't looked the same since the knee injury.

He still does have a lot of potential if he can, as you said, stay healthy.

Bearsfan123
09-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Here is a short list of players I think will/should be gone after the season:

Rex Grossman:Actually if we could Id trade him to Carolina for like a 5th or 6th rder. They have no one behind Delhomme and he hasnt stayed healthy in awhile. BUT in the most likely case, he will just get released at the end of the year. Which is good, because he isn't welcome here anymore.

Terrence Metcalf: If i spelled his name wrong who gives a damn. He sucks and we all know it. Time to move on. Buening fits the bill of moving on IMO.

Marty Booker: Lets just move on. His glory days are behind him, and frankly I think Bradley, and Lloyd are better than him.

Daniel Manning: If there are any teams who need a KR/backup DB hes a perfect fit. The Giants might work, or Oakland if Higgins continues to be inconsistent with protecting the ball. But basically, he has value as a return man.

BeerBaron
09-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Here is a short list of players I think will/should be gone after the season:

Rex Grossman:Actually if we could Id trade him to Carolina for like a 5th or 6th rder. They have no one behind Delhomme and he hasnt stayed healthy in awhile. BUT in the most likely case, he will just get released at the end of the year. Which is good, because he isn't welcome here anymore.

Terrence Metcalf: If i spelled his name wrong who gives a damn. He sucks and we all know it. Time to move on. Buening fits the bill of moving on IMO.

Marty Booker: Lets just move on. His glory days are behind him, and frankly I think Bradley, and Lloyd are better than him.

Daniel Manning: If there are any teams who need a KR/backup DB hes a perfect fit. The Giants might work, or Oakland if Higgins continues to be inconsistent with protecting the ball. But basically, he has value as a return man.

issues:

Grossman is gone after this season. Thats all the longer his deal runs and he lost the starting job already this season. 1 season as the backup (which is still too much imo) is what I'm hoping ends up happening to him.

Booker is also only on a 1 year deal iirc....maybe im wrong, i forget, but i doubt he has any significant role if hes on the team after this year.

Manning looks like he's going to be our nickel back this year, and we don't need him as a returner really.....i'd be all for trading him sooner if we could. We have halfway decent depth in the secondary anyway

Bearsfan123
09-03-2008, 08:01 PM
I dont think you quite understood. When I said the trade thing with Carolina, I meant now. And for the release, I said at the end of the season.

I thought McGowan was stealing that job from Manning?

Thanks for the input though

BeerBaron
09-03-2008, 08:24 PM
I dont think you quite understood. When I said the trade thing with Carolina, I meant now. And for the release, I said at the end of the season.

I thought McGowan was stealing that job from Manning?

Thanks for the input though

well the Panthers already traded for Josh McCown with Moore out, so they don't really need a backup anymore.

And isn't McGowan competing for the starting safety roll next to Mike Brown? I know Manning lost out the safety battle but I thought he was going for the nickel back job.

Bearsfan123
09-03-2008, 08:45 PM
My understanding is the Payne will be next to Brown and McGowan was gonna man the nickel. ill brb with proof from the bears website.

EDIT: I couldnt find the article i read it off of. Sorry. But im pretty sure thats whats being looked at right now.

blkwdw13
09-04-2008, 07:16 PM
My understanding is the Payne will be next to Brown and McGowan was gonna man the nickel. ill brb with proof from the bears website.

EDIT: I couldnt find the article i read it off of. Sorry. But im pretty sure thats whats being looked at right now.

The only place I remember seeing that was either PFW or KFFL, and that was before the Browns game where Manning played all of the first team nickel plays.

Geo
09-05-2008, 01:25 AM
If I was Lovie Smith and/or Bob Babich (Bears' defensive coordinator), I would blitz the Colts like crazy this Sunday night.

The Colts will have three new starters on the interior of the offensive line, with two rookies at left guard and center. Peyton Manning will only have seen game action in practice for part of last week and all of this week before the game. Bring additional pressure from a corner or linebacker as much as possible imo, try to create some confusion, negative plays, and turnovers.

It's definitely risky, we know the Colts can make a team pay when they blitz (see the 2004 season), but personally I'd rather go down with a gung-ho effort. And I've seen the Colts struggle a bit in recent years with the blitz, the last notable example being the Thanksgiving game at Atlanta.

Then again that could be the completely wrong thing to do, maybe it's better to not give Manning and the Colts any big plays at all and force them to execute sustained drives in their first game of the season together.

Gay Ork Wang
09-05-2008, 01:29 AM
I want the bears to run at those DTs.

Geo
09-05-2008, 01:34 AM
Don't be surprised if the Colts' defensive line holds its own against the Bears, I think. Might even give them some fits with their speed at home.

Coach Dungy might want to be brave again and kick to Hester.

Don't do it.

Gay Ork Wang
09-05-2008, 01:42 AM
well thats prolly more because the bears line sucks

regoob2
09-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Briggs' not a fan of Benson.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/05/briggs-doesnt-get-why-bears-traded-jones/

SFbear
09-07-2008, 02:14 AM
Briggs' not a fan of Benson.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/05/briggs-doesnt-get-why-bears-traded-jones/

I approved of the Thomas Jones trade when it happened but I think I really underestimated how much the team hated Benson and really loved Jones. I also underestimated how much of a bust Benson would become. In retrospect that trade looks like the catalyst for the decline of this team into putridity.

Gay Ork Wang
09-10-2008, 12:09 PM
seriously they gotta be kidding me. They signed Fred Miller to a one year deal and waived Kirk Barton

BeerBaron
09-10-2008, 12:10 PM
seriously they gotta be kidding me. They signed Fred Miller to a one year deal and waived Kirk Barton

******* **** **** ****. How are we ever going to get younger (and better) on the o-line. Seriously.

bearsfan_51
09-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Barton will get signed to the practice squad. I know we all hate Miller, but it's really not that big of a deal. You're ******** bricks over nothing.

I was not in favor of signing Miller a week ago, but that was when I thought we were going to suck and were better off starting rookies anyway. If someone gets injured we're better off not throwing Barton in there, even if the alternative is Miller.

Gay Ork Wang
09-10-2008, 12:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZhD0nvX0ZM

look at urlachers face when she said: This is an upset

Cribbs>Hester
09-10-2008, 02:02 PM

Manning looks like he's going to be our nickel back this year, and we don't need him as a returner really.....i'd be all for trading him sooner if we could. We have halfway decent depth in the secondary anyway

Why do you guys want to trade Danieal Manning so badly? He's was solid when he had to start. Not every player can be a pro bowl stud you know? Its not like he was chopped liver.

How about you trade him and a 3rd to Cleveland for Derek Anderson? :)

bearsfan_51
09-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Why do you guys want to trade Danieal Manning so badly? He's was solid when he had to start. Not every player can be a pro bowl stud you know? Its not like he was chopped liver.

How about you trade him and a 3rd to Cleveland for Derek Anderson? :)

He can't tackle and he has marginal ball skills. He can cover a lot of ground, which is essentially for our scheme and why he was drafted in the first place, but unfortunately playing at a D2 college never prepped him for the physical realities of the NFL.

That's a very proper way of saying that he's a pansy.

Cribbs>Hester
09-10-2008, 03:28 PM
He can't tackle and he has marginal ball skills. He can cover a lot of ground, which is essentially for our scheme and why he was drafted in the first place, but unfortunately playing at a D2 college never prepped him for the physical realities of the NFL.

That's a very proper way of saying that he's a pansy.

Well Cleveland needs a guy with some range. We have three good hitters and tacklers in Sean Jones, Brodney Pool and Nick Sorenson. Mike Adams is okay too, but we need someone who can cover some freaking ground and possibly stick with a TE every once in a while.

Gay Ork Wang
09-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Well Cleveland needs a guy with some range. We have three good hitters and tacklers in Sean Jones, Brodney Pool and Nick Sorenson. Mike Adams is okay too, but we need someone who can cover some freaking ground and possibly stick with a TE every once in a while.
give us Joe Thomas

Cribbs>Hester
09-10-2008, 03:39 PM
give us Joe Thomas

Yeah because Phil Savage would be that stupid to make such and uneven trade. I was thinking more realistic options for getting a FS in Cleveland.

sweetness34
09-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Yeah because Phil Savage would be that stupid to make such and uneven trade. I was thinking more realistic options for getting a FS in Cleveland.

If you couldn't sense sarcasm in that post then I don't know what to tell you.

awfullyquiet
09-10-2008, 05:12 PM
If you couldn't sense sarcasm in that post then I don't know what to tell you.

well. cribbs > hester.

Bearsfan123
09-10-2008, 05:54 PM

See the problem with trading him to you guys is that your team already has a great returner so we wouldnt get the value that a team that doesnt have one would give up. His value is highest as a returner.

BeerBaron
09-10-2008, 05:54 PM

giving us pretty much anything for Dan Manning is a "stupid and uneven trade." He's likely nothing better than a backup and special teamer. Guy shys away from contact a bit too much for my liking.

The guy can cover ground.....and can return a bit.....but you already have a returner in Cribbs, who by your logic is better than Hester and since Manning can't beat out Hester........yeah.

ShutDwn
09-10-2008, 11:53 PM
Will there be a 7th floor reunion in sundays game haha?

Hope for a good game. Looks like we are going to miss one of our guards, maybe Rosario too.

awfullyquiet
09-11-2008, 12:01 PM
See the problem with trading him to you guys is that your team already has a great returner so we wouldnt get the value that a team that doesnt have one would give up. His value is highest as a returner.

Which means we should probably trade him to the patriots...

Bearsfan123
09-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Patriots, Raiders, Indianapolis. All teams without guys with his ability.

Smokey Joe
09-11-2008, 08:40 PM
giving us pretty much anything for Dan Manning is a "stupid and uneven trade." He's likely nothing better than a backup and special teamer. Guy shys away from contact a bit too much for my liking.

The guy can cover ground.....and can return a bit.....but you already have a returner in Cribbs, who by your logic is better than Hester and since Manning can't beat out Hester........yeah.
Even though he hasn't lived up to his potential with us, he is still a valuable asset to the team, IMO. He is an excellent athlete, has shown he is an excellent returner, and is a viable option as a backup and is a decent FS. I'd take someone like Manning on my team anyday of the week.

Bearsfan123
09-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Even though he hasn't lived up to his potential with us, he is still a valuable asset to the team, IMO. He is an excellent athlete, has shown he is an excellent returner, and is a viable option as a backup and is a decent FS. I'd take someone like Manning on my team anyday of the week.

He's a guy who needs some work, with a good positional coach and some time, he could be a good starter for someone. But he will never be physical, and that is something we demand from our safeties. I still think his main value is to a franchise that doesnt have a good returner, but a team in need of a backup S would also be ideal.

His value IMO is 4th round pick highest. 5th is the most likely case.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
09-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Patriots, Raiders, Indianapolis. All teams without guys with his ability.

Uh, Johnnie Lee Higgins is an excellent return man. Much better than Danieal Manning.

Bearsfan123
09-13-2008, 12:29 AM
From what little ive seen he cant hold onto the ball. In pre-season he fumbled twice in the same game if I remember correctly. I dunno, I didnt think he looked that good, while Manning has looked good in the preseason at least in consecutive years.

bearsfan_51
09-14-2008, 08:33 PM
It's likely due to being double teamed, but Tommie Harris has been almost nonexistant in the first two games this year.

bearsfan_51
09-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Also, for those jumping on Olsen after today, he didn't fumble once last year, so this doesn't appear to be a longterm issue at all.

Smokey Joe
09-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Also, for those jumping on Olsen after today, he didn't fumble once last year, so this doesn't appear to be a longterm issue at all.
I overreacted... I was just pissed as hell that we somehow lost today.

Smokey Joe
09-14-2008, 09:05 PM
It's likely due to being double teamed, but Tommie Harris has been almost nonexistant in the first two games this year.
He might not be making plays, but because he is always doubled allows the other linemen to make plays.

bearsfan_51
09-14-2008, 09:07 PM
I'm really not suprised we lost. I think we and the Panthers are basically in the same league. I predicted them to get the win at home.

We started off hot early, they ended up hot late. Somebody had to win, they took advantage of more opportunities.

Both teams will probably end up with 7-10 wins this year. The Panthers actually have better upside with a Smith coming back.

Smokey Joe
09-14-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm really not suprised we lost. I think we and the Panthers are basically in the same league. I predicted them to get the win at home.

We started off hot early, they ended up hot late. Somebody had to win, they took advantage of more opportunities.

Both teams will probably end up with 7-10 wins this year. The Panthers actually have better upside with a Smith coming back.
It's not the fact that they won, but rather how they won. They had no business even being within a score of us, but because of a couple of fumbles, way too many penalties, and dumb play calling late, we lost. We pretty much handed the ball to them and said, we don't want to win.

bearsfan_51
09-14-2008, 09:16 PM
But, the whole reason we got the lead is because of a blocked punt, an interception, and penalties.

Our lead was no different than how they took the lead.

bearfan
09-14-2008, 09:28 PM
I love you guys. So rational.

Smokey Joe
09-14-2008, 09:52 PM
But, the whole reason we got the lead is because of a blocked punt, an interception, and penalties.

Our lead was no different than how they took the lead.
so what if it was "no different." that doesn't mean we should give it right back.

bearsfan_51
09-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Ok, but to say we "somehow" lost today, as if it is some indescribable event, indicates that we were much more deserving of the win than they were, which simply isn't true.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
09-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Jonathan Stewart is simply awesome. I liked him as a prospect out of Oregon, but I honestly thought Mendenhall would be a better NFL back. I would love to take that back now and say I think the exact opposite is true. (I know it is way too early to come to these conclusions, but Stewart is going to be a super star)

Was there any doubt we were going to lose with how flat we looked in the second half?

Not to sound irrational, but does anyone have faith in this coaching staff? It seems like we never make any adjustments at half time and that is usually where you can tell the difference between an average coach and a good one. I like Lovie, but he is what he is and that is a rather ordinary head coach.

No one should be jumping off the ledge. I thought this team was going to be a lot worse than they have shown these first two weeks.

Honestly, the best we could have hoped for was a split these first two rough road games. The defense looks good and Forte is really solid especially considering what he is working with.

Jeff Otah is a monster in the run game.. my god.. When he locked onto Briggs it got ugly for him awfully quick. I was interested in seeing how Otah played considering the Bears were really low on him even though he looked like a nice fit for the offense. I guess it's safe to say the scouting department will stop throwing out the George Foster comparisons.. Also, the commentator pointed out that Carolina would have selected Otah ahead of Chris Williams at #13 if Stewart was gone. Not that it means much since they are locked in at LT and Otah was a much better fit. It was just an interesting comment.

The next two weeks should give us a real good indication of where this team is.. Tampa looks like a solid team and the Eagles looked good in week one.

I really have no idea how good this team is. I could see 7-9 wins or I could see 4-5.

bearsfan_51
09-14-2008, 10:43 PM
I'd be shocked if we only win 4-5 games now, barring major injuries.

We play the Lions twice, the Falcons, and the Rams. Let alone other wins along the way.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
09-14-2008, 10:47 PM
The only team on this schedule you can pencil in for a win is the Rams, imo.

I can see this team losing to the Lions.. Their defense is bad, but our offense isn't far behind, imo.

Not to mention I don't think there is a defensive scheme that can tame Calvin Johnson.

bearsfan_51
09-14-2008, 10:53 PM
The Lions are worse at quarterback than us. Their defense can't stop anyone on the ground. They are good at receiver, that's it.

Bearsfan123
09-14-2008, 11:37 PM
The Lions are worse at quarterback than us.

No, unfortunately not. They have a guy who is like Rexy, on a good day, he can make plays, on a bad day, not so much. Except his bad days arent as bad as Rexy's were. Orton is more consistent, he doesnt throw the long ball well, and his accuracy is not great. But everything about him is consistent. Im hoping for improvements as the weeks continue but right now, Kitna is a better playmaker at QB.

bearsfan_51
09-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Kitna wouldn't be **** without Calvin and Roy. Even without Martz he's already starting to show how bad he is. He chokes in crunch time, he takes too many sacks and throws too many picks, he sucks.

Bearsfan123
09-14-2008, 11:52 PM
Kitna wouldn't be **** without Calvin and Roy. Even without Martz he's already starting to show how bad he is. He chokes in crunch time, he takes too many sacks and throws too many picks, he sucks.

You are probably right, but he does have them. So he can make plays. As much as Id like to agree Kitna is better than Orton, for now.

Bearsfan123
09-17-2008, 06:14 PM
McGowan lost for the season.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=5147

Great! Now our safety position is even more vulnerable.

bearsfan_51
09-17-2008, 07:15 PM
McGowan is likely done for the Bears, since this was the last year of his contract.

As long as Hester is healthy I don't really care. I think Kevin Payne is an upgrade.

Now when/if Mike Brown gets hurt....

BeerBaron
09-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Payne is acceptable enough for now as a starter but the thought of say.......Payne and Steltz starting side by side if Brown goes down again.....ugh. That'd be our season right there

bearsfan_51
09-17-2008, 07:24 PM
I think that's a little dramatic, but whatevs.

BeerBaron
09-17-2008, 07:27 PM
I think that's a little dramatic, but whatevs.

well anytime we lose Brown our D seems to go into the tank. like I said while watching the Colts game, it just seems like the rest of the D plays a little more loose and aggressive knowing he's got their back.

so losing him is painful enough on its own...knowing a rookie like Steltz or a pansie like Manning would take his place only puts salt into that wound

Gay Ork Wang
09-18-2008, 08:25 AM
i always get confused with McBride and McGowan...
anyways, what do u think about Beekman?

BeerBaron
09-18-2008, 09:36 AM
i always get confused with McBride and McGowan...
anyways, what do u think about Beekman?

he's doing alright as a stop gap i suppose. I think we can do better given an offseason though.....

MidwayMonster31
09-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Beekman is doing what we asked him to, but we could do better. If the Bears can get their hands on Herman Johnson in the second round or Duke Robinson in the first, that would work out. Personally, I think Beekman is better off at center. In a few years, he could step in for Kreutz.

awfullyquiet
09-18-2008, 06:15 PM
see, i think beekman still has a better upside... and yes, is the future at center, but every day he plays at guard, i think he'll be that much better. I'm glad he's playing...

BeerBaron
09-18-2008, 06:39 PM
see, i think beekman still has a better upside... and yes, is the future at center, but every day he plays at guard, i think he'll be that much better. I'm glad he's playing...

oh yeah, he's the best of any of the LG options we have. But he's still just a stop-gap there imo. If he does well there, then I hope it adds to his future at C but there will be better options come the offseason (I hope...)

regoob2
09-18-2008, 08:15 PM
I havent seen Beekman really do good or bad. I dont think he's gonna be in the long term plans at LG. Hopefully Buenning can come in soon and see some action, any word on him yet?

bearfan
09-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Would Buenning be a huge improvement over Beekman? Dont fix what aint broken. While it would help now, you guys talking about beekman at center, it would be beneficial to have a guy with the experience that Beekman will have if he starts all season.

regoob2
09-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Would Buenning be a huge improvement over Beekman? Dont fix what aint broken. While it would help now, you guys talking about beekman at center, it would be beneficial to have a guy with the experience that Beekman will have if he starts all season.
I think it would be a huge improvement. Beekman is not a starting caliber OG at least now he isnt he could eventually I guess. Buenning is a good run blocking OG and probably better is pass protection as well.

Gay Ork Wang
09-19-2008, 06:30 AM
I was so happy to see him starting over Metcalf

awfullyquiet
09-19-2008, 03:20 PM
I havent seen Beekman really do good or bad. I dont think he's gonna be in the long term plans at LG. Hopefully Buenning can come in soon and see some action, any word on him yet?

I don't seem him as the long term LG yet, but i don't think he can't be marginal starter...

Hurricane Ditka
09-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Buh-bye Mark Bradley

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=5169

BeerBaron
09-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Buh-bye Mark Bradley

well that sucks.....first injuries then the coaches doghouse.....

wonder why the wait until 3 weeks into the season to do it. could have kept someone useful right after camp while letting bradley go.

SFbear
09-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Buh-bye Mark Bradley

A lot of first day picks getting cut. Looks like Orton is the only one left from the 2005 draft class. Awesome.

BeerBaron
09-25-2008, 09:29 AM
what would anyones thoughts on Marc Bulger be?

Since Carson isn't bloody likely and theres no way I'd want DA, Bulger I think is a possibility...

He's already been benched this year and if the Rams want to do a total sweep of the roster and the staff, he could be sent packing. If we could have him for a 4th rounder or later, I'd think about it...

The guys played real well at a pro bowl level when he gets adequate protection and if we get Chris Williams back and invest in a LG in the draft (Duke) we might be able to keep him upright long enough to help us win football games.

I don't think theres a question that if we want to win now, we need to find someone at QB who can go out and win us a game if needed, but will mostly just move the ball enough to let the defense rest. (ala anti-Rexy)

regoob2
09-25-2008, 09:45 AM
what would anyones thoughts on Marc Bulger be?

Since Carson isn't bloody likely and theres no way I'd want DA, Bulger I think is a possibility...

He's already been benched this year and if the Rams want to do a total sweep of the roster and the staff, he could be sent packing. If we could have him for a 4th rounder or later, I'd think about it...

The guys played real well at a pro bowl level when he gets adequate protection and if we get Chris Williams back and invest in a LG in the draft (Duke) we might be able to keep him upright long enough to help us win football games.

I don't think theres a question that if we want to win now, we need to find someone at QB who can go out and win us a game if needed, but will mostly just move the ball enough to let the defense rest. (ala anti-Rexy)I've always liked Bulger but he just got a $60 mil deal and if we trade for him we'd have to take on that. He's a bit to old for my liking, if we went after a QB I would want some long term potential.

BeerBaron
09-25-2008, 10:23 AM
I've always liked Bulger but he just got a $60 mil deal and if we trade for him we'd have to take on that. He's a bit to old for my liking, if we went after a QB I would want some long term potential.

eh....QB is one spot where I don't mind someone being over 30.

His deal would need reworked for sure if we traded for him, or we could wait and hope he gets cut, but then we might have to compete with other teams and we always seem like conservative spenders so I don't like those odds....

I'm just saying, a quick look around the league finds very, very few QBs who could be pried from their current teams easily and still give us an upgrade at the spot.

awfullyquiet
09-25-2008, 02:17 PM
eh....QB is one spot where I don't mind someone being over 30.

His deal would need reworked for sure if we traded for him, or we could wait and hope he gets cut, but then we might have to compete with other teams and we always seem like conservative spenders so I don't like those odds....

I'm just saying, a quick look around the league finds very, very few QBs who could be pried from their current teams easily and still give us an upgrade at the spot.

Agreed.

If he lasts 5-6 years and ends up with pennington-noodle-arm... i'm okay if we can rework his deal... we need a WR though...

i like this though. i like it alot... the problem is... what is he worth?

Race for the Heisman
09-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Bulger? From what I've heard our of St. Louis, I'd take a pass, even for Orton. As for his value, maybe a fourth?

BeerBaron
09-25-2008, 02:46 PM
yeah, i would say no more than a 4th and only if he reworks his deal.

like i said in my first post about it, he has been a pro bowl caliber player when protected and if we continue to rework our o-line a bit, maybe we can get something out of him.

bearsfan_51
09-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Bulger is a system player. If we brought him in we'd have to switch over to the Air Coryell offense, which makes no sense considering we play in Chicago (remember Terry Shea?)

SFbear
09-25-2008, 04:14 PM
I haven't seen any of the Rams games this year but what I have heard is that Bulger has been playing scared and can't psychologically handle taking hits anymore. Kind of like David Carr after years behind Houston's line.

The one good thing about Orton is that he has proven to be durable and getting sacked doesn't seem to affect his composure. We'll need a QB like that while our Oline develops.

regoob2
09-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Quick question for those who live here in Chicago, why do these loser ass bicycle riders decide to block off an entire ******* intersection and plays the drums in the middle of rush hour when people are trying to get home from work. We get it you wear tight pants and work at the clothing store or the pizza place and you want to show society that you wont conform. We get it. Your parents hugged you, you have no excuses for being a freak now get the **** out of the street. sorry.

SFbear
09-27-2008, 05:36 AM
Quick question for those who live here in Chicago, why do these loser ass bicycle riders decide to block off an entire ******* intersection and plays the drums in the middle of rush hour when people are trying to get home from work. We get it you wear tight pants and work at the clothing store or the pizza place and you want to show society that you wont conform. We get it. Your parents hugged you, you have no excuses for being a freak now get the **** out of the street. sorry.

If those kind of things upset you, I'd recommend staying away from San Francisco.

Smokey Joe
09-27-2008, 08:30 AM
If those kind of things upset you, I'd recommend staying away from San Francisco.
You mean San Fran-freako

bearsfan_51
09-27-2008, 11:51 AM
We do it in Minneapolis. It's because 99.9% of the time people in cars treat bikers like ****, even though bikers have as much legal right to the road as anyone else. It's not an anti-conformity (whatever the hell that means) protest, it's a political protest, and it's usually sanctioned by the local government.

It's supposed to piss you off. And a lot of people that bike make a lot of money and are socially responsible, just ask awfullyquiet, or me.

regoob2
09-27-2008, 07:14 PM
What drivers treat bicyclists like ****? These people who ride bikes think they own the road.

bearfan
09-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Lets talk about senior citizen drivers! I HATE THEM. You think Biciclists think they own the road? Meet the suburban old guy. I almost got hit the other day turning because an old man ran a red light. 'nuff said.

bearsfan_51
09-27-2008, 07:58 PM
What drivers treat bicyclists like ****? These people who ride bikes think they own the road.

Perhaps things are different in Chicago, I really can't say.

Did you know, for example, that a biker is allowed the entire lane to themselves just like a car? That means if a car wants to pass, they have to enter another lane just like anyone else. Can you imagine that actually going through in practice? Most cars would (and do) run bikes off the road. Even when bikes are considerate and try to hug the side of the road, there are still a lot of drivers that will try to push them off to the side.

If you don't believe me, try riding your bike down any busy city street during the day. At a time when gas prices are out of hand, pollution is more of an issue than ever, and traffic and parking are a huge issue in the cities, people should be thinking of new ways to support public and non-vehicular transportation.

regoob2
09-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Perhaps things are different in Chicago, I really can't say.

Did you know, for example, that a biker is allowed the entire lane to themselves just like a car? That means if a car wants to pass, they have to enter another lane just like anyone else. Can you imagine that actually going through in practice? Most cars would (and do) run bikes off the road. Even when bikes are considerate and try to hug the side of the road, there are still a lot of drivers that will try to push them off to the side.

If you don't believe me, try riding your bike down any busy city street during the day. At a time when gas prices are out of hand, pollution is more of an issue than ever, and traffic and parking are a huge issue in the cities, people should be thinking of new ways to support public and non-vehicular transportation.
I completely agree but here every major street has a bicycle lane. I just dont understand sitting in the middle of a very busy intersection in Chicago for an HOUR to make a point and I have no idea what that point would be. Im from the burbs so I just to get the whole bicyclist life style.

blkwdw13
09-28-2008, 01:29 AM
I agree with regoob2 about the bikers in Chicago, I just wish the cops would enforce the laws like they said they would earlier this year.

TitleTown088
09-28-2008, 11:12 PM
What the hell do bikes have to do with Da bears?

Anyways, I was taking a gander at Da bears schedual right meow, and it's starting to look like a bit of cupcake for them from here on out. Not gimmies, but manageable.
Detroit atlanta minny bye, detroit, tenn,GB, rams, minny, Jags, NO,GB, Texans. I know it's entirely premature to talk about playoffs, but if they keep it up they could be representing the north in the playoffs. Then again anyone in the north ( besides detoit) probably could because everyone sucks in their own manner as of now.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
09-28-2008, 11:17 PM
What the hell do bikes have to do with Da bears?

Anyways, I was taking a gander at Da bears schedual right meow, and it's starting to look like a bit of cupcake for them from here on out. Not gimmies, but manageable.
Detroit atlanta minny bye, detroit, tenn,GB, rams, minny, Jags, NO,GB, Texans. I know it's entirely premature to talk about playoffs, but if they keep it up they could be representing the north in the playoffs. Then again anyone in the north ( besides detoit) probably could because everyone sucks in their own manner as of now.

Aaron Rodgers sucks

bearsfan_51
09-29-2008, 12:10 AM
I think we may have found our starting strong safety in Kevin Payne. He is still out of position at times, but he's got good ball skills and is a solid tackler. He's not going to lay the lumber like McGowan, but he isn't going to miss as many tackles or give up as many big plays either.

bearsfan_51
09-29-2008, 12:11 AM
Also, we REALLY need to get more pass rush from our defensive line. O-Gun, Tommie, Alex, and Mark Anderson have a combined 2.5 sacks between them. That's awful.

BeerBaron
09-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Also, we REALLY need to get more pass rush from our defensive line. O-Gun, Tommie, Alex, and Mark Anderson have a combined 2.5 sacks between them. That's awful.

watching them last night I couldn't quite figure out what was wrong with them. whenever we weren't bringing a blitz, they just did nothing but make a nice little circle around McNabb giving him all day to throw.

Smokey Joe
09-29-2008, 10:59 AM
I think we may have found our starting strong safety in Kevin Payne. He is still out of position at times, but he's got good ball skills and is a solid tackler. He's not going to lay the lumber like McGowan, but he isn't going to miss as many tackles or give up as many big plays either.
He's played pretty good so far, but I still think we could use an upgrade, or at the very least, some more depth.

dabears10
09-29-2008, 11:38 AM
On ESPN 1000 Waddle and Silvy talked about offering a trade to St. Louis for Torry Holt. What do you guys think about a 2nd for Holt?

bearsfan_51
09-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Depends on his contract numbers. From a talent/need standpoint I'd strongly consider it.

dabears10
09-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Depends on his contract numbers. From a talent/need standpoint I'd strongly consider it.

Yeah, also i think it is less likely now that Linehan was fired. I think it's good, but would it be patchwork and now very successful.

BeerBaron
09-29-2008, 01:52 PM
hmm yeah....given our o-line situation (and possibly DE and QB...and WR and maybe another RB and S.......) we could use that 2nd a little more come next draft than we could now. I don't think Holt would exactly put us over the top or anything right now anyway.

awfullyquiet
09-29-2008, 02:25 PM
hmm yeah....given our o-line situation (and possibly DE and QB...and WR and maybe another RB and S.......) we could use that 2nd a little more come next draft than we could now. I don't think Holt would exactly put us over the top or anything right now anyway.

agreed. holt we should pass on.

boldin on the other hand, once he recovers. if he's available, probably not.

BeerBaron
09-29-2008, 03:53 PM
agreed. holt we should pass on.

boldin on the other hand, once he recovers. if he's available, probably not.

might take a wee bit more than a 2nd rounder. Cincy passed on a late first rounder for Chad Johnson, and I happen to like Boldin quite a bit more....plus the Cards are a little more stingy of a team. Might be hard to pry him away.

If we had to give up a first for anyone, I'd like it to be Carson if the Bengals decided to be done with him. Might be even easier if he's actually hurt and the Bengals don't rebound

awfullyquiet
09-29-2008, 06:03 PM
might take a wee bit more than a 2nd rounder. Cincy passed on a late first rounder for Chad Johnson, and I happen to like Boldin quite a bit more....plus the Cards are a little more stingy of a team. Might be hard to pry him away.

If we had to give up a first for anyone, I'd like it to be Carson if the Bengals decided to be done with him. Might be even easier if he's actually hurt and the Bengals don't rebound

yeah. isn't torry holt like damn near 34?

regoob2
09-29-2008, 07:51 PM
On ESPN 1000 Waddle and Silvy talked about offering a trade to St. Louis for Torry Holt. What do you guys think about a 2nd for Holt?A 2nd is a lot for an older WR. It depends if JA thinks we can compete for a championship in the next couple years.

Smokey Joe
09-30-2008, 07:49 AM
I'd do a third for Holt, but not a 2nd.

awfullyquiet
09-30-2008, 12:59 PM
I'd do a third for Holt, but not a 2nd.

Mmmhmm.

The more i think about it, finishing in the middle of the pack would be fantastic from a drafting perspective.

BeerBaron
09-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Mmmhmm.

The more i think about it, finishing in the middle of the pack would be fantastic from a drafting perspective.

well...see....this is where it get ****** for me.

if we do crappy, have a top 10 pick, we could get a potential franchise QB if we really wanted. If we do well, end up with a pick in the late teens, early 20's, we can take a top rate OG to play LG.

but if we finish middle of the pack....what do we do? take a RT who won't play right away? take a DE who won't start right away?

idk.....middle of the pack scares me for the first round.

bearsfan_51
09-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Middle of the pack might actually not be a bad place to take a WR, since that's about the time when taking a 1st round receiver makes sense (I'm really not a fan of top 10 receivers in most years).

Or we could cross our fingers and hope a QB, OT, or DE falls.

Or maybe an elite safety.

sweetness34
09-30-2008, 05:47 PM
DHB would be a nice pickup. Or maybe find a way to get Benn out of his 3rd year at Illinois. ;)

We still need OL, and lots of it. Kruetz is old, Tait is old, Garza is old, and Beekman is still inexperienced. Plus we don't know how Williams will respond. QB and OL are my two priorties next year. Then Safety and WR.

regoob2
09-30-2008, 07:52 PM
DHB would be great. Duke Robinson also. If Matt Stafford falls its a no brainer imo. DE if one falls. I dont think safety should be considered in round 1 or 2 unless an elite is there in round 2 (Mays or Moore).

MidwayMonster31
09-30-2008, 10:27 PM
I am still on the Duke Robinson bandwagon. It just makes the most sense.
Somehow, I think that this safety class is one of the most overrated classes in the draft. Mays has the stuff of a franchise player, but he plays like an average player. Moore has slowed down after a great start and that Mizzou defense isn't that good. Chancellor hasn't been playing great either. C.J Spillman from Marshall could be a classic Jerry Angelo defensive sleeper.

BeerBaron
09-30-2008, 11:39 PM
I am still on the Duke Robinson bandwagon. It just makes the most sense.
Somehow, I think that this safety class is one of the most overrated classes in the draft. Mays has the stuff of a franchise player, but he plays like an average player. Moore has slowed down after a great start and that Mizzou defense isn't that good. Chancellor hasn't been playing great either. C.J Spillman from Marshall could be a classic Jerry Angelo defensive sleeper.

those have panned out pretty miserably though lately....Manning, Bazuin, Okwo...ugh.

I don't think any have become studs since....Tillman? wow. not doing so hot anymore...

MidwayMonster31
09-30-2008, 11:51 PM
those have panned out pretty miserably though lately....Manning, Bazuin, Okwo...ugh.

I don't think any have become studs since....Tillman? wow. not doing so hot anymore...You win some, you lose some. The past few years have been a bad stretch for Angelo. He has to rebound in 2009.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
10-01-2008, 01:32 AM
Dream mock: (subject to change daily)

1st - Duke Robinson - OG - Oklahoma
2nd - Percy Harvin - WR - Florida
3rd - Maurice Evans - DE - Penn State

Reasoning:

Duke - We need an upgrade our interior OL & Robinson could solidify the left side of the OL assuming Williams back holds up.

Percy - Could fall due to character/durability issues.

Evans - Talented guy - who will definitely fall due to character concerns. He likes to smoke pot. No harm in that. Get him on board.

Smokey Joe
10-01-2008, 07:36 AM
Lane Kiffin is officially no more a Raider... I would not mind him as our OC come 2009/2010.

Gay Ork Wang
10-01-2008, 07:53 AM
I dont mind him as our OC in 08

BeerBaron
10-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Evans - Talented guy - who will definitely fall due to character concerns. He likes to smoke pot. No harm in that. Get him on board.

see, thats awesome and all, but as long as theres that damn drug testing thing, there is harm in that.

test for steroids all you want but i really don't care whether my players smoke in their free time....crazy nfl.

BeerBaron
10-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Btw, the better John Harbaugh does in Baltimore, the more and more I think we'll lose Toub. Guys made our special teams one of the best in the league recently and if Harbaugh does well, other teams might want to emulate the success of promoting a ST coach to HC. could get interesting...

awfullyquiet
10-01-2008, 12:15 PM
I dont mind him as our OC in 08

Lol. we still might make the playoffs.
Maybe.
If we don't. i wouldn't mind canning turner before the end of the season. the man cannot make offensive adjustments for the life of him.

ChezPower4
10-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Btw, the better John Harbaugh does in Baltimore, the more and more I think we'll lose Toub. Guys made our special teams one of the best in the league recently and if Harbaugh does well, other teams might want to emulate the success of promoting a ST coach to HC. could get interesting...

I think your on to something there. ST coaches deal with almost all of the the players on the team. So they are great when it comes to dealing with players and you would have to believe because they were a special teams coach that they would push even harder to make the special teams better. I've been amazed at how many games the bears have won the last two years because their STs are so good.

BeerBaron
10-01-2008, 08:36 PM
I think your on to something there. ST coaches deal with almost all of the the players on the team. So they are great when it comes to dealing with players and you would have to believe because they were a special teams coach that they would push even harder to make the special teams better. I've been amazed at how many games the bears have won the last two years because their STs are so good.

aye, that last sentence is very true. If you look at a lot of Hester's returns, yeah, he's fast and finds holes really well, but theres 10 other guys on the field (most of whom will never see the light of day in the starting lineup) out making those holes.

Toub does a great job with that. If I were in Detroit or Cincy or somewhere like that who might need to totally rebuild come season's end, a guy like Toub who works with all the players he does would be pretty high up on my list of possible HC candidates.

regoob2
10-02-2008, 11:07 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1197765,CST-SPT-bear02.article
Vasher is likely out against the Lions.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/10/01/kansas_city_agrees_to_terms_with_wr_mark_bradley/
Chiefs sign Mark Bradley

BeerBaron
10-02-2008, 11:18 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1197765,CST-SPT-bear02.article
Vasher is likely out against the Lions.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/10/01/kansas_city_agrees_to_terms_with_wr_mark_bradley/
Chiefs sign Mark Bradley

hopefully Tillman will work on Calvin's side, get a safety back there too.....thats the only real aspect of their offense that scares me. If we can muster any kind of pass rush (hopefully with just our front 4) we can shut them down.

It does look like a bit of a trap game though...they're easily the weakest defense by far that we've faced but if we get lax after playing Philly tough, they could topple us.

regoob2
10-02-2008, 11:25 AM
hopefully Tillman will work on Calvin's side, get a safety back there too.....thats the only real aspect of their offense that scares me. If we can muster any kind of pass rush (hopefully with just our front 4) we can shut them down.

It does look like a bit of a trap game though...they're easily the weakest defense by far that we've faced but if we get lax after playing Philly tough, they could topple us.
Who knows if Tillman will even play.