PDA

View Full Version : Sophomore DEs

draftguru151
11-05-2007, 11:43 PM
I was just looking at some of the sack numbers and not only are the top 3 guys sophomores, but there are a ridiculous amount of monster sophomore DEs.

George Selvie USF
Everrette Brown FSU
Jeffrey Fitzgerald Virginia
Maurice Evans Penn State
Greg Middleton Indiana
Eric Norwood South Carolina
Brandon Graham Michigan
Ricky Sapp Clemson
Willie Young NC State
Auston English Oklahoma
Antonio Coleman Auburn
Greg Hardy Ole Miss

And I'm sure there are some I'm missing.

Mr. Stiller
11-06-2007, 12:38 AM
I know he's not a Freshman, but USC's Everson Griffen is a monster.. 6'3 262lbs 4.58 40' coming into USC.

He could be a Ware/Merriman type.

As for names your missing.

Doug Worthington, Ohio State
Michael Jordan, Michigan State
Jermaine Cunningham, Florida
Corey Wootton, Northwestern
Peanut Whitehead, Lousville (Rough year this year, but very impressive Fr. Year)
Jeremy Jarmon, Kentucky
Justin Mincy, FSU (Will be a great DE/OLB prospect by draft time. 6'5 270 4.64 40')

KCJ58
11-06-2007, 12:40 AM
Brandon Graham is monster too

Michigan
11-06-2007, 05:54 AM
Brandon Graham = LaMarr Woodley v2 but faster.

draftguru151
11-06-2007, 08:24 AM

He's a bit bigger and more powerful too. He lined up at DT a lot against Minnesota.

RyanLeaf#1
11-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Maurice Evans is a beast.

Solomon
11-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Right now the top three sack leaders in the country are sophomores. Who do people think is the best pro prospect out of the group?

USF's George Selvie seems to be a dynamic pass rusher, but is under sized and doesn't face top competition. PSU's Maurice Evans is my favourite but he doesn't seem to have top end speed and is shorter than what most scouts look for. And Indiana's Greg Middleton has put up terrific numbers but I have only been able to watch one hoosier game this year. What do people think about these 3 soph DE's? Any of them possibly first round material?

BucSappy
11-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Mr. Stiller already mentioned Jeremy Jarmon. He was leading the SEC in sacks for the first half of the season. Needs to get a little stronger, but he has great instincts.

Hines
11-06-2007, 11:04 AM
mo evans is my favorite..beast is one word...i like graham and everson is a frosh at usc

i went against him in a passing tourny and let me tell you, i was so scared when i saw him running at me

P-L
11-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Yeah, he didn't do crap in the first two games but he's been DOMINANT since.

marks01234
11-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Ricky Sapp, Willie Young and Everrette Brown are going to be fun to watch in the future. Jeff Fitzgerald is a plan all-around beast.

Gchu83
11-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Lamarr Houston-Texas

51 Tackles 10 TFL 4 Sacks 18 QBH

Michigan
11-06-2007, 04:19 PM

because he didn't play... (doghouse)

scottyboy
11-06-2007, 04:27 PM
go ahead, call me a homer, but George Johnson out of Rutgers. He is an athletic freak. Has all the ability and make up to be playing on Sundays.

Solomon
11-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Lamarr Houston-Texas

51 Tackles 10 TFL 4 Sacks 18 QBH

Oh yeah, I'm a big fan of Houston, he's about 275 lbs right now and he played RB and LB in high school so you know he can run.

mqtirishfan
11-06-2007, 06:13 PM
I know he's not a Freshman, but USC's Everson Griffen is a monster.. 6'3 262lbs 4.58 40' coming into USC.

He could be a Ware/Merriman type.

Agreed. I've been saying he'll bethe next Merriman since last year.

etk
11-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Who do people think is the best pro prospect out of the group?

Eric Norwood is one of the best Cover 2 LDE prospects I've ever seen.

Jonny
11-06-2007, 07:27 PM
George Johnson is a good player. You don't see a lot of him because we like to rotate players a lot.

Why do people think Selvie doesn't play good competition? He made King Dunlap look silly.

Pedro Sosa completely dominated Selvie though.

BucSappy
11-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Eric Norwood is one of the best Cover 2 LDE prospects I've ever seen.

He's absolutely horrible when teams run at him. He's much more like a 3-4 OLB taking advantage of his talent in pursuit and rushing the passer.

ncst8fan83
11-06-2007, 10:28 PM
why is everyone so ga-ga over willie young? don't get me wrong, I think he's alright...but he's 230lbs on a good day. Manny Lawson he is not!! I guess I could see him in a Shaun Phillips sort of role, but even then Phillips still has a good 30lbs on him!!!

draftguru151
11-06-2007, 10:53 PM
He's only a sophomore, he has time to gain weight. That and the fact that the past 2 weeks he's been dominating.

ncst8fan83
11-07-2007, 07:55 AM
He's only a sophomore, he has time to gain weight. That and the fact that the past 2 weeks he's been dominating.

He's a redshirt sophomore and came in at 230. His body type is lean like Manny, but I just doubt he can put on THAT much weight. Maybe 240. Believe me, I'm a huge homer, but Willie will not be a DE in the NFL and isn't fast enough(from what i've seen) to drop into coverage as an OLB. A situational pass rusher maybe, but a starter he will not be. Might just be my opinion though. He'll be a beast in college, but I don't think he'll transition well to the next level.

Sniper
11-07-2007, 08:18 AM

He's been a fixture in the backfield, for sure. He's all over the place. It's tough for teams to double team him too, especially on third down when Michigan rushes Crable, Taylor and Graham along with Johnson.

reigle9
11-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Mo Evans is three sacks short of PSU's all-time record.

Sniper
11-07-2007, 08:23 AM
Mo Evans is three sacks short of PSU's all-time record.

Yeah I read that. He's been ******* amazing.

RyanLeaf#1
11-07-2007, 08:26 AM
Yeah I read that. He's been ******* amazing.

As much as I dont like Penn State I cant say enough about him.

M.O.T.H.
11-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Norwood may have middle linebacker in his future actually, there has been some talk about that. As for Norwood, the defensive end...He has an Elvis Dumervil esque body and a similar motor...he wont rack up 20+ sacks but, he'll never quit and give consistant pressure week after week. All he does is make plays.

While were talking about Super Sophomores... Yall need to keep an eye on the Gamecocks...S, Emanuel Cook and CB, Captain Munnerlyn. They have been fantastic, and both will be day one picks in the future. Cook has 1st round written all over him.

draftguru151
11-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Norwood may have middle linebacker in his future actually, there has been some talk about that. As for Norwood, the defensive end...He has an Elvis Dumervil esque body and a similar motor...he wont rack up 20+ sacks but, he'll never quit and give consistant pressure week after week. All he does is make plays.

While were talking about Super Sophomores... Yall need to keep an eye on the Gamecocks...S, Emanuel Cook and CB, Captain Munnerlyn. They have been fantastic, and both will be day one picks in the future. Cook has 1st round written all over him.

Darian Stewart isn't bad either. If they all stay for their seniors years. :eek:

wiscbadgerfootball
11-07-2007, 05:55 PM
while we are on the topic of sophomores

PJ Hill for Heisman 09!!

M.O.T.H.
11-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Darian Stewart isn't bad either. If they all stay for their seniors years. :eek:

Yes sir...Stewart has really grown as a player. Our secondary is stacked...only one we we left out is Carlos Thomas who is a great talent as well...and they're all coming back next year...beautiful.

etk
11-07-2007, 07:23 PM

Emanuel Cook is disgusting. Sometimes I turn on an SC game and he makes every tackle, knockdown, FF, FR, etc. He's all over the field, and he has the combination of tackling technique and hit power.

draftguru151
11-07-2007, 07:54 PM
He creamed Darren McFadden. That hit was NASTY.