PDA

View Full Version : Eagles 2008 Offseason (+ Draft) Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

bsaza2358
11-06-2007, 07:52 AM
Since we're over halfway through this season, it's never a bad time to start discussing 2008. Let's go!

jefepowhnzer
11-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Does anyone else get the feeling I do that this is going to be one of the more active offseasons in Eagles history? The team is looking at a very realistic possibility of entering next season without the coach and QB who led them to one of the greatest 5-6 year periods in team history. The speculation surrounding Reid and McNabb will probably be off the charts. Add to that key positions are aging, and it's hard to ignore the fact that the team needs to find a playmaker at WR.

There are just so many questions in my head right now it's hard to sort everything out. Reid has more than a reasonable excuse to retire at the end of the season, but will he? If the team continues to struggle how much of a chance exists for McNabb to be traded? Do the two situations depend on each other? For instance, if McNabb were to continue to struggle and end up being traded, can Reid commit to the rebuilding process that would ensue? Or, if Reid announced his resignation at seasons end would McNabb even want to stick around? These are just a few of the questions I have about Reid/McNabb. I could probably write a doctorate with the questions I have about the rest of the team. I'm sure you guys could too.

Of course, the easy answer is that the team could always turn around and go 7-1 or 8-0 and make it back to the playoffs. That would be easy at least!

brat316
12-10-2007, 04:28 PM
play Kolb, might as well see what you have. Nabb, people know he is average because he gets injured and can reuin your season. But if he is healthy he can take you far, just make sure you have a good backup.

Teams to take him:
Miami
Atl
SF
Chi
KC
Minn

I wonder who the eagles would pick up in the FA, for Nabb they probably get a 2nd and 3rd for next year and a player maybe

Qb-backup maybe Pennington, Culpepper, Byron,
Rb-where good, i want to see how Hunt, is before we resign Buck
WR- we need a gamebreaker, D. Jackson, maybe a late round guy on purely numbers like his 40.
OL- T, pickup someone in FA and Draft have some competition. Ruyan is going to be leaving, Thomas i think would come a bit cheaper, and still is pretty good. Had less injuries then Runyan
DE- get rid of Kearse, maybe Thomas keep him for depth though.
DT-we are good here
OLB- hmm I got no idea here, Gocong and Spikes, and we drafted Bradley.
MLB-Gaither is doing good, draft someone if we want to bump him back outside after Spikes leaves.
Cb-Get a 6'1 or 6'2 corner that can play press coverage a really physical corner, that can play 1 on 1. We need to cover Burgess and T.O., somehow.
S- Mikel fit in good, but isn't a solution, We need to get Kenny Phillips, loosing Dawk on D made a huge difference.

RyanLeaf#1
12-11-2007, 09:27 AM
They will be lucky to get a 3rd or 4th, and no player. Thats why he will probably end up staying in Philadelphia. No one is going to give you a 2nd round pick for McNabb. If I were the Eagles I would let Kolb start the rest of the games. If he looks good then you can have McNabb and Kolb going after the starting job next year. I dont know if McNabb would like to be a backup, but he has shown nothing this year to prove that he is going to bring the Eagles franchise anywhere. Get Kolbs feet wet even if they have a 6-10 season next year, and get a good pick. Then the following year when Kolb has a year under him is the year you can really grade him. If I were the Eagles I would really try to draft Desean Jackson. He could fill the spot for PR and KR and really be a threat at the WR position.

bsaza2358
12-11-2007, 11:27 AM
The Eagles are too loyal to McNabb and to their future to let Kolb get his snaps in. Their loyalty helps them in a lot of cases, but they will also be hindered by not knowing what Kolb can do. Another possible scenario here is that Kolb is just not ready yet. The transition from a spread system offense to Andy Reid's WCO is difficult. Kolb has a lot of work to do. Maybe not ideal to get him embarrassed and lacking confidence...

Sniper
12-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Biggest off-season needs?

DE- I'm assuming Kearse and Howard are both let go as they should.
Possible replacements: Calais Campbell, Terrell Suggs, Justin Smith

OT- Thomas and Runyan are both getting old. I think Justice will be fine at RT, leaving us with a need for a young LT.
Possible replacements: Sam Baker, Phil Loadholt, Jeff Otah, Jordan Gross

TE- LJ Smith is gone, and Brent Celek is probably a better #2 as a blocking TE.
Possible replacements: Fred Davis, John Carlson, Martellus Bennett, Eric Johnson

WR- For the love of God, get someone decent.
Possible replacements: Randy Moss, Bernard Berrian, DeSean Jackson, Patrick Crayton

Could use depth at DT and CB as well.

RyanLeaf#1
12-11-2007, 11:40 AM
The Eagles are too loyal to McNabb and to their future to let Kolb get his snaps in. Their loyalty helps them in a lot of cases, but they will also be hindered by not knowing what Kolb can do. Another possible scenario here is that Kolb is just not ready yet. The transition from a spread system offense to Andy Reid's WCO is difficult. Kolb has a lot of work to do. Maybe not ideal to get him embarrassed and lacking confidence...

Preseason Week 1 Kolb 11-20, 77 yards, 0 TD's, 0 Ints
Preseason Week 2 Kolb 11-16, 78 yards, 0 TD's, 0 Ints
Preseason Week 3 Kolb 25-37, 248 yards, 1TD, 0 Ints
Preseason Week 4 Kolb 22-33, 220 yards, 1TD, 0 Ints

I would say if he could go a combined 69-106, 623 yards, 2 TD's, and 0 Int's in the preseason by now if he didnt before he has Andy Reids system down. What else can you ask from a rookie QB in the preseason other then what he did? I dont think Kolb would get embarrassed at all if you put him out there for the next 3 games. Being loyal to McNabb is just plain stupid IMO because you and I both know if the right deal comes up for McNabb then hes gone. So what happens next year? Are you just going to throw Kolb out there without getting any starts this season because you want to be loyal to somebody that didnt lead you to the playoffs the previous season?

bsaza2358
12-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Andy Reid doesn't gameplan or make real adjustments in the preseason. He just calls plays and lets his guys go do their thing. For the most part, Kolb went against second and third (sometimes 4th) stringers. Kolb is still adjusting, and he has limited rapport with the first string WR's and Westbrook. Making that kind of shift is incredibly difficult.

It also drives down Donovan's value significantly. It tells everyone that McNabb is finished in Philly, so they'll get absolutely nothing for him. Also, McNabb is a bit of a baby about status. If he got benched for Kolb now, he'd destroy the lockerroom. Also would affect his value and could carry over to 2008.

RyanLeaf#1
12-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Andy Reid doesn't gameplan or make real adjustments in the preseason. He just calls plays and lets his guys go do their thing. For the most part, Kolb went against second and third (sometimes 4th) stringers. Kolb is still adjusting, and he has limited rapport with the first string WR's and Westbrook. Making that kind of shift is incredibly difficult.

It also drives down Donovan's value significantly. It tells everyone that McNabb is finished in Philly, so they'll get absolutely nothing for him. Also, McNabb is a bit of a baby about status. If he got benched for Kolb now, he'd destroy the lockerroom. Also would affect his value and could carry over to 2008.

Well if keeping McNabb quiet in the locker room means that much to the team then he shouldnt be on the team. Someone should slap him in the mouth, and tell him hes stealing money. Its no secret the offense has scored 2 or fewer touchdowns in 9 of Mcnabbs 11 starts, but scored 7 touchdowns in Feelys 2 starts. His value is already terrible. They are only going to get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. Its not like if they start him the rest of the season they might get a 1 or 2 because thats not happening. Reid should stop worrying about loyality, and start thinking about his own future and the teams future instead of making someone on his team happy.

Sniper
12-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Something I never understood...why, on a team that throws 35-40 times per game, is there not a single good receiver? And why doesn't this team put a premium on wideouts?

brat316
12-11-2007, 01:30 PM
yeah, fine throw all game, but at least throw to some good WRs, what the hell are you thinking.

I would love to get Crayton in, but then we would have a surplus of WR, Reggie should he could be good with accurate throws from feeley. DeSaun Jackson is another WR the eagless should get, they need a speed guy, a game change and game breaker. Or at least use him for STs. If we were to get both WRs, i think Lewis and Brown would be out. Hank Baskett I don't wat would happen with him or Avant.

Sniper
12-11-2007, 01:36 PM
yeah, fine throw all game, but at least throw to some good WRs, what the hell are you thinking.

I would love to get Crayton in, but then we would have a surplus of WR, Reggie should he could be good with accurate throws from feeley. DeSaun Jackson is another WR the eagless should get, they need a speed guy, a game change and game breaker. Or at least use him for STs. If we were to get both WRs, i think Lewis and Brown would be out. Hank Baskett I don't wat would happen with him or Avant.

No chance Brown is out. He signed a lengthy contract extension.

jefepowhnzer
12-11-2007, 02:48 PM
After all the dicussion about loyalty and McNabb does anyone else get the strong feeling that he will be returning in 2008 with job in hand? It doesn't look like Kolb will get in any snaps during the final 3 games which, to me, means the team is leaning toward McNabb's return in 2008. It wouldn't be hard for them to justify his return. All they have to say is something along the lines of, "It's only just been a little over a year since his injury and it wouldn't be fair to him or the team if he weren't the QB next year." That and the possibilities of a good deal for him seem to be drying up. About 3 weeks ago you could confidently say that Atlanta, Chicago, Minnesota, KC, Miami and SF were possible suitors and may offer something good. But now it looks like Rex Grossman has won himself another year of play, and Tarvaris Jackson(and Croyle to a lesser degree) are showing signs of their potential. That only leaves Miami, Atlanta and San Francisco. Assuming the FO is looking for a deal that includes a 1st rounder for the 08 draft then I think it's safe to remove both Miami and SF from contention; we all know SF #1 pick goes to NE, and Miami will have the #1 overall and there's no way they trade the #1 overall for McNabb(not to mention Beck is already there). Out of the "obvious" teams, with the exception of Atlanta, there is 0 to little chance of the FO getting a deal they want. Possible dark horses, just to throw names around(and still VERY VERY unlikely), are Baltimore, Carolina and Detroit.

Just some thoughts.

eaglesfan_45
12-11-2007, 05:02 PM
^^
Baltomore is actually sensable Steve McNair was injured and before that he was having a very underwelming season and Kyle Boller's contract is going to expire if I am not mistaken.
Carolina is also having similar problems with David Carr and Jake Delohmme
Lions could for sure be a contender if Jon Kitna retires

however there is a strong possibility that even if we want to rid our selves of Mcnabb that we will get stuck with him because of the amount of goof QBs in the draft

cunningham06
12-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Kenny Phillips. 'Nuff said

Incinerator
12-16-2007, 08:07 PM
do you guys think that there is any chance that the Eagles trade for Chad Johnson or Roy Williams since they both seem to be availabel this offseason? I don't really think it will happen, but I would give anything for us to be able to get a really great #1 receiver.

In my opinion the biggest problem with our offense is the WRs, if we got either of them and got Kenny Phillips in the draft I would think we would be one of the top teams in the NFC again. Especially with another offseason of rehab/training for McNabb. (Assuming he stays with the Eagles, which I also hope happens because I'm not a big fan of Kolb's)

brat316
12-16-2007, 10:26 PM
ahhhh the Lions give up one of their play makers and same with the Bungles, Carson to Chad, who knows what they have with Henry and his problems.

Kenny would be amazing would it solve all our problems, no but it helps give a good future starter and depth.

WR a play making speed guy is needed, the eagles can see that, they have westbrook but even he needs help, when he gets double covered or is having a off day. And they know they need help are the return position, but with the eagles you have no idea what the hell they are going to do. Hell we might end up with Campbell somehow.

bsaza2358
12-17-2007, 08:47 AM
^^
Baltomore is actually sensable Steve McNair was injured and before that he was having a very underwelming season and Kyle Boller's contract is going to expire if I am not mistaken.
Carolina is also having similar problems with David Carr and Jake Delohmme
Lions could for sure be a contender if Jon Kitna retires

however there is a strong possibility that even if we want to rid our selves of Mcnabb that we will get stuck with him because of the amount of goof QBs in the draft

Boller signed a 1 year extension. Looks like he'll get a chance to compete with Troy Smith for the starting job next year.

bsaza2358
12-17-2007, 08:50 AM
do you guys think that there is any chance that the Eagles trade for Chad Johnson or Roy Williams since they both seem to be availabel this offseason? I don't really think it will happen, but I would give anything for us to be able to get a really great #1 receiver.

In my opinion the biggest problem with our offense is the WRs, if we got either of them and got Kenny Phillips in the draft I would think we would be one of the top teams in the NFC again. Especially with another offseason of rehab/training for McNabb. (Assuming he stays with the Eagles, which I also hope happens because I'm not a big fan of Kolb's)

I would say there is little chance that the Eagles will get either of those WR's because of the cost involved (high draft picks) and the money already invested in the WR core (Curtis was a big money FA, and Brown is on a long extension). It is possible that one of these guys is available, but don't you think the Redskins or many other teams would make that move before the Eagles would? I'd say so. Heck, I wouldn't be upset with a Roy or Chad on our team, but I just don't see it happening.

That being said, Kenny Phillips is probably gone before the Eagles draft, unless they manage to trade up. If the Eagles went out and traded for a big time WR, that would cost a first rounder at least. Don't count on them getting either of these options.

camp_eagles
12-28-2007, 10:16 AM
If LJ leaves I believe the eagles should go after John Carlson he is a stud i have seen him practice live and he was very impressive.

bsaza2358
12-28-2007, 10:26 AM
I am 98% certain that LJ Smith will be on another NFL franchise in 2008. The Eagles tend to lock up their core guys before their contract year. LJ is also coming off injuries (as we know). I think he's a bit overrated by other teams, so the Eagles probably won't have the best offer for him. They also seem to really like Celek in their offense. McNabb went to him in some really key spots the last few weeks. I would be perfectly fine having Celek and Schobel next year as our TE's, but I do agree that another TE would be needed.

bsaza2358
12-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Given the Eagles issues with depth and age at DB and at OT, they probably will spend their first round pick on a player in that area. Perhaps DE because I expect Howard and Kearse out the door.

camp_eagles
12-28-2007, 12:00 PM
I have seen a few mocks where the eagles get Calais Campbell do you think the eagles will take a shot on a project like him?

bsaza2358
12-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Campbell is a monster prospect with unreal skills. The Eagles have a potential hole at DE. I think that the team does an excellent job at being aggressive and going after the guys they want. If they like him best, they will get him if they can for a reasonable price. Past cases: McDougle, Andrews. Also traded Al Harris, which resulted in the Sheldon Brown pick.

camp_eagles
12-28-2007, 01:39 PM
I would love to see Campbell in Philly but i have to remind myself that the draft is still very far away and he could easily move back up draft boards.

brat316
12-28-2007, 01:53 PM
I would love Kenny Phillips

Eaglez.Fan
12-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Hasn't Calais Campbell had a bad senior season?

Even though he has loads of talent, he's not a safe pick.I'd rather see the eagles taking a DE in the 3rd round, so it could start up a rotation with Abiamiri, Juqua Thomas and this new guy. 2nd round I'd live either OT or DB, then in the 1st IMO we need a playmaker so someone like DeSean Jackson or even trade for a WR like CJ or Roy Williams. But if in the 1st round Kenny Philips is there, I'd love to take him also. Even Nic Harris if he comes out maybe we could trade down 5-10 picks and grab him.

bsaza2358
12-30-2007, 01:30 AM
There is no way the Eagles take an offensive playmaker in the first round. I think they're looking at the lines or maybe CB/safety. I think they like their current WR's, and I'm pretty sure they're comfortable with Schobel and Celek at TE next season. I guess they could take a guy like Carlson, but that is unlikely.

bsaza2358
12-30-2007, 01:31 AM
I agree that Campbell is a very risky potential pick, but the Eagles are pretty good at finding gems in the draft at DE. Cole and Thomas with later round or UDFA finds. Abriamiri looks like a solid run stuffer.

bsaza2358
12-30-2007, 01:33 AM
Again, I see OLine as the weakest position, with safety and CB depth also a need. The Eagles have generally played it safer with their first rounders under Reid/Banner/Heckert. That has led to minimal first round busts. Only Mitchell and McDougle busted since 1999, with McNabb, Simon, Sheppard, Andrews, Patterson, and Bunkley at least solid for a period of time.

jonbrodo17
12-30-2007, 08:37 AM
so you think that the eagles would consider trading for Deangelo Hall? I heard some guy call in 610 WIP and ask that and they said no, but I think him and Lito would be worth all the off feild stuff.

bsaza2358
12-30-2007, 11:37 AM
I don't think that the Eagles would pay the price for him. I think the Falcons would want more than just the Eagles first rounder. I also doubt that he's even available...

eaglesalltheway
12-31-2007, 08:24 AM
Plus what would we do with Sheldon Brown? He has had a solid season and had a great one last year. I don't know if you are suggesting moving him to safety, but I would disagree with that move. Plus, I am not a big fan of DeAnglo Hall, he is overrated becuase of his speed if you ask me.

jonbrodo17
12-31-2007, 08:42 AM
I have heard of moving him to safety later in his career, I dunno, i just thought for the right price he would be a good addition

heres my short wishlist, NOTE: some of the guys below may not even be available.

-Jared Allen-UFA who was mentioned as a possible pick-up in the Inquirer http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20071230_Reid_says_team_got_good__but_it_came_a_li ttle_late.html

-Lee Evans- guy who can stretch the feild and who would fit in well (hasn't been mentioned at all but i like this guy)

-Chad Johnson-everyone has heard the talk of this one but this is all talk and hes probably not going anywhere

If the Eagles could get Allen and a #1 WR, it would be a great offseason, kind off like '04

bsaza2358
12-31-2007, 08:51 AM
I don't foresee Allen going anywhere. I think the Chiefs really like the Hali-Allen combo. I also believe that the team would have to overpay for a guy with a spotty off-field history. He is talented to be sure, but I just don't see it.

bsaza2358
12-31-2007, 08:52 AM
I think the Bills like Evans as their #1 WR. If you look at him, he's probably their only offensive weapon in the passing game right now. Teams that think of themselves "on the rise" don't believe in giving up former first round picks with explosive play potential. I doubt he goes anywhere.

bsaza2358
12-31-2007, 08:52 AM
Chad Johnson is an interesting idea, but he's too costly and too expensive right now. I'm not certain that the Bengals will move him. He's a bit of a distraction, but he's never gotten into trouble off the field. I think they need that on their team.

Eaglez.Fan
12-31-2007, 09:09 AM
Well how much money are the eagles looking to have after this year? Maybe a release of Kearse (I know we'd get an extra 4.4 mil if he was released) and Howard would give us abit more money to take on Chad's contract.

Here is other philly fans talking about this move. (http://www.philaphans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65340&page=3)

eaglesalltheway
12-31-2007, 09:14 AM
I heard Bernard Berrian mentioned on Comcast last night, would that be a worthwhile FA aquisition? I don't really see it. The only way I see the Eagles getting a WR is if they can get a top-notch one cheap, and lets face it, how often does that happen? I also heard something about Dallas Clark. If Indy would let him reach FA, which will most likely not happen, he would be the one FA I would want the Eagles to pursue the hardest. He would be costly, but he has the perfect tools to excell in our system, and he would help the West-Coast system that Reid uses immensely. If he were to come to Philly, I would expect a highly explosive offense for the next few years. What are some other FAs that could be good fits in Philly? I have been occupied with other things for a long time, so I will have some refreshing to do.

Eaglez.Fan
12-31-2007, 09:20 AM
I can't stand Dallas Clark. He leads the league in drops and Brent Celek will be better than him in a couple years.

bsaza2358
12-31-2007, 09:29 AM
There is no need to spend a ton of money bringing Dallas Clark in. He's a good target, but his blocking is spotty. I think he will get overpaid to stay in Indy or overpaid to play somewhere else. I think the Eagles need to bolster their defensive front more than they need TE help.

bsaza2358
12-31-2007, 09:30 AM
Berrian is an interesting possibility. He has significant deep speed, but he also runs quality routes. I don't personally believe in paying #2 WR's #1 WR money, but he might be worth a look at a Curtis-like contract. The problem becomes that his presence would push Reggie Brown and/or Curtis back to the #3 role, and it would marginalize guys like Baskett and Avant, who are pretty solid. Truth be told, I kind of like the WR's the Eagles have right now.

bsaza2358
12-31-2007, 09:31 AM
If you guys recall, I have been saying that McNabb should be back next season pretty much all of 2007. Are you guys still on board with this kind of plan?

brat316
12-31-2007, 12:38 PM
Seriously though if we don't draft a good safety then there are going to be problems. Unless the Eagles are looking to do something crazy like move Sheldon to Safety and draft a corner in round 1 or 2. But then we would have 2 safeties that are similar to each other, in Brown and Considine. Both could play the pass well, but no sure on the run, or blitzing.

I am still on the Kenney Phillips boat, I don't know if that is going to happen, now that we are 8-8, but we will see.

DE-we cut Jevon, and give Howard one more chance, we still draft a DE.

Draft in order of importance

S, secondary depth, KR/PR/WR-playmaker, O-line, DE,

bsaza2358
12-31-2007, 12:40 PM
I think OLine and DE are #2 and #3 on the list. If you need bodies to play a full season, it takes priority over depth in the secondary. I think KR is a priority, but they could address that in FA.

Go_Eagles77
12-31-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm pretty content with the WRs we have now, but I definitely wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a top FA.

bsaza2358
12-31-2007, 12:51 PM
I don't want to bring in FA's or big time veterans at the cost of cap flexibility and high draft picks. If they can do it reasonably, fine by me.

brat316
12-31-2007, 01:11 PM
why not bring in a FA, and stop being stingy with the cap get some talent at the WR level. Eagles always have a huge amount of extra cap left, and then to add to that the cap goes up every year.

bsaza2358
12-31-2007, 02:57 PM
The cap is going up, but the team also has to lock some guys up. Westbrook only has 2 years left on his deal. Runyan and Thomas are getting up there, but still command a lot of coin. You could make the argument to give an extension to Omar Gaither. There are players who we know and love who have to be locked up. I'd rather do before I go shopping.

Eaglez.Fan
12-31-2007, 03:48 PM
Well we are expected to be picking from the 16-19 range.So how about Sam Baker, "Tra" Thomas and Runyan are getting up in age like you said, so how about drafting a LT in the 1st round. I tried to pay close attention to Winston Justice last game at RT and other than penalties he didn't play to bad, with another year of coaching he could be pretty solid, and the penalties will ease out with experience. I'm looking at Scott's list for LTs now and the guys we'll have a chance on would be Jeff Otah, Goster Cherilus, Sam Baker and Chris Williams. Otah could play both tackle spots, and has alot of upside, I don't like Cherilus, and Baker seems like he has a high floor.

bsaza2358
12-31-2007, 03:54 PM
Don't forget that there could be junior LT's entering the draft that could complicate the picture. Also, junior position players could really mess with the draft and complicate matters. I am highly confident that the Eagles could stay where they are in rounds 1 and 2 and get 2 impact players.

Eaglez.Fan
12-31-2007, 04:07 PM
Michael Oher seems like an intriguing prospect at LT. After reading about him some sites even think he could start as a rookie which he won't need to do. So he'd definatly be ready in his 2nd year when we don't have Tra.

Go_Eagles77
12-31-2007, 04:20 PM
I hate to say it but I also think it may be time for a new kicker. I have very little confidence in David Akers anymore. It is very important to be able to kick it deep on kickoffs and make field goals past 40 yards and he just isn't making the cut anymore.

jonbrodo17
12-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Akers has totally flew under the radar of someone to consider replacing, i am not sure what other kickers are out there on the FA market but that is something they should be thinking about.

According to profootballtalk we are picking 19 in the draft, a little later than wat i would have hoped.....

brat316
01-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Finding a good kicker is a hard thing. Maybe we could take a flyer on a kicking in round 6 or 7.

Sniper
01-02-2008, 07:26 AM
Howard better be gone. He's been even more useless than Kearse. By the way, isn't Larry Fitzgerald a UFA?

brat316
01-02-2008, 07:56 AM
i don;t think so if Larry was a FA then it would be big news all over and signing Carlos dansby for the Cards, would not be their number 1 goal

brat316
01-02-2008, 08:12 AM
How about Javon Walker

bsaza2358
01-02-2008, 08:21 AM
I definitely think Akers is gone. Akers, LJ, Kearse, Howard, maybe Spikes. Runyan could go due to cost. Greg Lewis as well, but who knows there? I don't expect a ton of turnover.

brat316
01-02-2008, 08:26 AM
i havn't found anything saying that this is Runyan's contract year, or its up.

Spikes i think stays for 1 more year, and then he is out, with Bradely taking over

bsaza2358
01-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Spikes could be gone this offseason if they really like Bradley and Akeem Jordan (I think that's his name). I love Spikes in this defense for sure, but if the young and cheap guys fit as well or better, why not?

I'm not certain that Bradley will start for the Eagles ever. He's a standard SAM type, and his weakness is coverage. I think part of the Eagles' success this year stemmed out of the greater range and skills of Gaither + Spikes' ability to cover out of the backfield.

bsaza2358
01-02-2008, 08:28 AM
I never said it was Runyan's contract year. I said he would maybe be gone due to cost.

camp_eagles
01-02-2008, 10:14 AM
I think Kimo and Reagor are both gone as well leaving the eagles looking for depth at DT for another season

eaglesalltheway
01-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Kimo von Oelhoefen is gone if you ask me (Reagor may be gone too, not sure). LaJuan Ramsey hasn't done much either, he may not make it to next year. Kearse and/or Howard may be gone as well. If we are looking for a better WR corp, Lewis may be gone, and maybe another of the lower CBs on the depth chart, but otherwise, I think everyone else will stay.

jonbrodo17
01-02-2008, 04:51 PM
i would'nt say that akers is definitely gone. the only one who i think is definitely gone is kearse

eaglesalltheway
01-03-2008, 10:39 AM
I think Akers stays, he had an off year two years ago, but he was injured. I think he will stick around for at least next year yet.

brat316
01-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Akers stays 1 year, but we still draft a kicker just to put pressure on Akers and to see if the new kicker can take over eventually

bsaza2358
01-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Akers will be with the Eagles in training camp, but I guarantee there will be competition. He might not make the final team. He is aging, and he has a large cap #. Could be a decline + money issue.

Eaglez.Fan
01-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Does anyone have any interest in Michael Oher? I know I mentioned him before but I'm reading The Blind Side by Michael Lewis and Oher is the main topic of the book. He had a rough childhood but seems to have excellent character now, and is a beast at LT.

bsaza2358
01-03-2008, 11:24 AM
If you look at pure ability, he could be a top 10 pick. I'm unsure about his intangibles and actual football IQ, though. He has the kind of body the Eagles look for. Could be considered, but we don't know if he'll come out for the draft, right?

Eaglez.Fan
01-03-2008, 12:12 PM
I forget where but I thought I heard that he will be declaring. He has made great strides in his general intelligence I know that, football IQ I'm not to sure about that. I think if he comes out he will be a definite possibility for the Eagles.

bsaza2358
01-03-2008, 01:03 PM
There are other draft sites that predict underclassmen. Some of them have the guy as a top 20 pick if he comes out. I don't have any real solid info, though. When he declares, we can discuss as an option.

brat316
01-03-2008, 01:15 PM
we need another run blocker like Andrews how about Williams from Vandy or Oath from Pitt

bsaza2358
01-03-2008, 01:27 PM
How about Max Jean-Gilles, who played excellently in limited time? The guy is a baller.

brat316
01-03-2008, 01:29 PM
o yeha Max, also though we need to get a good 2 headed running back, hopefully Hunt gets some more time and doesn't end up like Moats

bsaza2358
01-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Hunt and Moats have different games. Hunt has the pedigree to do more, though. I like our RB's as they are. Would rather get depth on the OLine, DLine, and secondary.

Eaglez.Fan
01-03-2008, 02:24 PM
How about Max Jean-Gilles, who played excellently in limited time? The guy is a baller.

Haha, I remember you hated him when I brought up the option of drafting him in the 2nd round a couple years ago. I like him also but if he starts at LG, then Herremans has to move to RT which means Justice has to play LT. If the Eagles could make that work I'd be great so we wouldn't have to use an early pick on an o-linemen.

bsaza2358
01-03-2008, 03:11 PM
If I recall correctly, I didn't think he was worth a second rounder. I had questions about his willingness to work and keep in shape and his actual game speed. He has worked hard and lost some weight, and now he's ready. I was fine with the gamble in the 4th, for the record.

eaglesfan_45
01-03-2008, 03:28 PM
There is no way the Eagles take an offensive playmaker in the first round. I think they're looking at the lines or maybe CB/safety. I think they like their current WR's, and I'm pretty sure they're comfortable with Schobel and Celek at TE next season. I guess they could take a guy like Carlson, but that is unlikely.

If you look at the NFC east there is a common weakness and that weakness is pass defence none of them really have great DB that are good at pass Defense and if they do there isn't any depth so the Eagles should take advantage of the weakness and draft a big time Offensive playmaker like DeSean Jackson.

bsaza2358
01-03-2008, 03:58 PM
I don't see it happening. Our defense had the fewest turnovers in the league. That is a question of playmakers in the secondary. Our OLine gave up 50 sacks in 16 games. That is abysmal. The team can get better pass rush and more big plays on D, and they have to protect the QB better. I see those as the priorities.

brat316
01-03-2008, 04:01 PM
pass D comes with a great D line and pressure on the qb.

bsaza2358
01-03-2008, 04:45 PM
It also comes from great players on the field. You need to have talent and the pass rush.

eaglesfan_45
01-03-2008, 05:01 PM
I don't see it happening. Our defense had the fewest turnovers in the league. That is a question of playmakers in the secondary. Our OLine gave up 50 sacks in 16 games. That is abysmal. The team can get better pass rush and more big plays on D, and they have to protect the QB better. I see those as the priorities.

The O-line was somewhat plagued by injury throughout the season and a big amount of thise sacks came from the Giants game when we were really injured. I think the o-line's year could be chalked up as just a bad year they have alot more talent than the stats would suggest. Plus with the addition of some one like DeSean jackson the defenses would have to back off and play the pass more rather than blitz. Also McNabb is not as fast as he used to be but he can still create time if needed and with the speed of Jackson and Westbrook he wouldn't need as much time.
The defense was above average they helped us stay in games and they were good enough to almost beat the Patriots and good enough to beat the Cowboys. They could definitely make it 1 more year.

brat316
01-03-2008, 05:59 PM
As far as offensive playmaker your talking about the D play pass and backing off the blitz, I would rather than draft a more complete WR with speed or just get better WR in the FA rather than Jackson. Jackson as a return man would be worth a third and he is a WR so a second. But no D would play him honestly because he is not that great of a WR. Another playmaker is need on the O other than West. I see it as a more complete WR that McNabb could throw to, a big target a possession guy. Mainly to compliment the speed of Curtis.

Bowman or Nelson not sold on Sweed maybe Rivers from Hawaii, Keenana Burton

camp_eagles
01-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Cant Herremans slide out to left tackle like his rookie year and have max play left guard?
so the line could be:
LT= Herremans LG= Max C= Jackson RG= Andrews RT= Runyan or Justice

this is assuming that William Thomas leaves.

eaglesfan_45
01-03-2008, 10:27 PM
It also comes from great players on the field. You need to have talent and the pass rush.

Dawkins, Sheppard, Brown how much more talent do we need really the eagles had a rough, injury riddled year, and if they would have been completely healthy with McNabb back to his normal self like in the final three games we would have fought for the NFC east title. However DE is a need as is the need for a dynamic playmaker to 1. take pressure off of Westbrook 2. Give McNabb a fast explosive target 3. wreak havoc on the weak pass defenses of the NFC east

bsaza2358
01-04-2008, 08:36 AM
I don't see it happening round 1. I would see a DE in Round 1, but I wouldn't count out a TE or maybe a WR in round 2. There is a ton of talent in this draft, especially if all these juniors come out. Lots to be had.

jonbrodo17
01-04-2008, 02:29 PM
i definitely think that a big time DE would be huge to our defense, to compliment Cole and to help our DB's create more turnovers. Does anybody know the top DE FA's? (besides Jared Allen)

camp_eagles
01-04-2008, 02:30 PM
I heard a rumor on PFT that the eagles will hire Brian Billick as an offensive consultant.

http://beta.profootballtalk.com/2008/01/04/friday-morning-one-per-club-one-liners-4/

jonbrodo17
01-04-2008, 04:52 PM
I saw that, I don't know a lot about Billick and his offensive mindset but It would definitely create tension with Morningweg, so I don't know if this is the best move unless they fire Morningweg

Go_Eagles77
01-04-2008, 05:02 PM
And its not like there is any proof that he is gonna even visit with the team, it just basically says don't be surprised if he gets a job here because he and Andy are friends.... that's not enough proof to make me think anything's gonna happen.

toddmlazarchick
01-07-2008, 04:27 PM
If you look at the NFC east there is a common weakness and that weakness is pass defence none of them really have great DB that are good at pass Defense and if they do there isn't any depth so the Eagles should take advantage of the weakness and draft a big time Offensive playmaker like DeSean Jackson.

I dont think u watch enough NFC East football to say that. Dallas has Newman and Hamlin who are going to the probowl. Washington has Landry and Springs, Rogers, Smoot, and Macklin. All which have been starters either with Redskins or their previous teams. Also Leigh Torrence has emerged as great depth.

bsaza2358
01-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Newman is very good, and Hamlin is decent (not an amazing talent, but a good player and fringe pro bowler). Landry is a future star. Springs is over the hill, Rogers is coming off an ACL surgery, Smoot is okay, and Macklin is good as a nickel or dime CB. I'm also going to say that I think Aaron Ross is an excellent talent.

There is some good talent in the NFC East, but there are holes that can be exploited. Playmakers on the offensive side of the ball are always needed. You can usually never have too many.

eaglesfan_45
01-07-2008, 06:18 PM
I dont think u watch enough NFC East football to say that. Dallas has Newman and Hamlin who are going to the probowl. Washington has Landry and Springs, Rogers, Smoot, and Macklin. All which have been starters either with Redskins or their previous teams. Also Leigh Torrence has emerged as great depth.

Dallas- Newman and thats all at CB, #2 or a #3 reciever could easily rip them to shreds
Safeties(sp?)- Hard hitting guys who are a liability in coverage

Redskins- Landry- future star who is bound to improve but now he is on the same level as Hamlin or Williams, Seattle game is going to make him overrated
CB's- Springs is older and bites on play action and pump fakes, Rogers injured and is not really that fast, Smoot he is decent but is sort of an underachiever but he has really picked it up when Rogers went out and they lost Sean Taylor, Macklin is a ? to me haven't really seen him play.

Giants- Aarron Ross is a future star but right now he is nothing more than a Young CB still learning the tricks of NFL. Behind him they have a very very weak pass D that relies on Madison who is really a #2 or #3 CB

bsaza2358
01-08-2008, 10:27 AM
It has been rumored that Tom Heckert will be hired away by Atlanta to be their GM and head of football operations. Thoughts on losing our top scout?

jonbrodo17
01-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Like a lot of people I do not think that its a big deal because Andy Reid gets the final decision anyway. I am more concerned if we lose John Harbaugh to the Ravens. He was our special teams coordinator turned secondary coach and he is a very good coach

bsaza2358
01-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Harbaugh was decent as a secondary coach, and I'm glad he got an opportunity. He will be missed, but his loss isn't as big a deal as you might think. I was more upset to lose Spagnuolo last year.

bsaza2358
01-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Heckert is a big deal because of his scouting knowledge. He put together the information that Reid used to help make personnel decisions. He deserves a lot of credit for signing Curtis instead of Stallworth, getting Cole, Juqua Thomas, Herremens, MJG, Westbrook, Gaither, and other later round steals as part of the scouting department. I would much rather keep the team intact...

brat316
01-08-2008, 03:35 PM
I think the eagles might be agrasive in this draft, or during FA, currently the eagles have 12 picks and also compensation for a qb that lead a team to the playoffs in Garcia and a WR that helped for 16-0 in Stallworth, even though Curtis is better. Curtis did have 1,000 yrds on the season.

We could end up with 14 picks, though isn't there a limit on the number u can have like 10 or something.

bsaza2358
01-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Don't forget that the Eagles did sign Curtis to a deal, which should limit the compensatory picks they get. The team has a few big needs and can always refresh depth. I'm not sure there will be big movement in the first round, but I could definitely see some trades in rounds 2 and beyond.

Sniper
01-08-2008, 04:24 PM
I think the eagles might be agrasive in this draft, or during FA, currently the eagles have 12 picks and also compensation for a qb that lead a team to the playoffs in Garcia and a WR that helped for 16-0 in Stallworth, even though Curtis is better. Curtis did have 1,000 yrds on the season.

We could end up with 14 picks, though isn't there a limit on the number u can have like 10 or something.

Curtis is not better than Stallworth. Stallworth was the #3 or #4 target for the Pats.

eaglesfan_45
01-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Curtis is not better than Stallworth. Stallworth was the #3 or #4 target for the Pats.

so

he wasn't all that great greatly benifited from the prescence of Moss and Welker plus he is injury prone

Sniper
01-08-2008, 04:50 PM
so

he wasn't all that great greatly benifited from the prescence of Moss and Welker plus he is injury prone

He's still better than Curtis.

brat316
01-08-2008, 04:53 PM
i dont know, Stallworth averages like 2 catches a game

Sniper
01-08-2008, 04:56 PM
i dont know, Stallworth averages like 2 catches a game

2.875 as the #3/#4 option in a spread offense. Stallworth averaged 19 ypc as the #1 in Philly.

bsaza2358
01-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Doesn't matter. Curtis came in for less money and caught 80 balls for 1000 yards. I'd rather have Curtis and his reliability and less injury issues than Stallworth's slight explosiveness upgrade.

Stallworth in the Curtis role would have missed 3-4 games and wouldn't have gotten 1000 yards.

RyanLeaf#1
01-09-2008, 10:45 AM
McNabb asking for playmakers on his blog. He's got alot of balls in my opinion considering he isnt such the playmaker anymore himself. Wake up McNabb this is not 02, and the team will not listen to you anymore. You are the past not the future. They signed Kevin Curtis to a 32 million dollar contract last year. Does he really think they are going to go out and spend big money on another WR? The Eagles best chances in my opinion are if they go out and draft Desean Jackson if he is still available, but I dont see them doing that at all.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3187772

RyanLeaf#1
01-09-2008, 10:47 AM

I agree with you that Stallworth is better then Curtis. But dont you owe me a sig for the Eagles not getting to 10 wins?

Sniper
01-09-2008, 11:31 AM
I agree with you that Stallworth is better then Curtis. But dont you owe me a sig for the Eagles not getting to 10 wins?

Yeah what do you want it to say?

bsaza2358
01-09-2008, 11:41 AM
McNabb asking for playmakers on his blog. He's got alot of balls in my opinion considering he isnt such the playmaker anymore himself. Wake up McNabb this is not 02, and the team will not listen to you anymore. You are the past not the future. They signed Kevin Curtis to a 32 million dollar contract last year. Does he really think they are going to go out and spend big money on another WR? The Eagles best chances in my opinion are if they go out and draft Desean Jackson if he is still available, but I dont see them doing that at all.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3187772

Yeah, that whole blog thing pisses me off. There are people getting paid millions to evaluate talent and go out and build teams. The Eagles know they have needs, and they don't need their franchise player lecturing them. BAH!

bsaza2358
01-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Almost zero chance that the Eagles take a WR in the first round this year. They could make a move in FA, but not in the first round of the draft.

RyanLeaf#1
01-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Almost zero chance that the Eagles take a WR in the first round this year. They could make a move in FA, but not in the first round of the draft.

I agree that they arent going to go WR in the first round, but what move free agent wise do you think they are going to make. I'll be honest with you I dont see them going out and signing a big time name.

RyanLeaf#1
01-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Yeah, that whole blog thing pisses me off. There are people getting paid millions to evaluate talent and go out and build teams. The Eagles know they have needs, and they don't need their franchise player lecturing them. BAH!

I wouldnt even call McNabb their franchise player anymore. I think Westbrook deserves that title now.

bsaza2358
01-09-2008, 12:38 PM
McNabb is the face of the franchise because he is the QB. Westbrook is the best player, but McNabb is the guy who will make the headlines. Just the way it is. You know exactly how Philly goes...

bsaza2358
01-09-2008, 12:39 PM
I agree that they arent going to go WR in the first round, but what move free agent wise do you think they are going to make. I'll be honest with you I dont see them going out and signing a big time name.

I keep hearing Javon Walker if he's available. That would be an interesting impact kind of move. Not sure how much he costs, but he has some injury concerns and is starting to get a little older. Still, good WCO background, and he can be an amazing playmaker when healthy.

If Chad Johnson is available, it will be interesting to hear what Cinci wants. If it's a second round pick, I'd do that in a second.

RyanLeaf#1
01-09-2008, 12:57 PM
McNabb is the face of the franchise because he is the QB. Westbrook is the best player, but McNabb is the guy who will make the headlines. Just the way it is. You know exactly how Philly goes...

I keep hearing Javon Walker if he's available. That would be an interesting impact kind of move. Not sure how much he costs, but he has some injury concerns and is starting to get a little older. Still, good WCO background, and he can be an amazing playmaker when healthy.

If Chad Johnson is available, it will be interesting to hear what Cinci wants. If it's a second round pick, I'd do that in a second.

Yea I know how Philly goes. On Javon Walker I dont think it looks to good for Philly since he is backing down from his trade talks. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3187735

Personally I just dont see the Eagles going after a WR like Johnson. Hes the closest thing to what T.O. was a couple of years ago, and I dont know if Reid and company want to go that route.

One question I think Dawkins gets cut. Do you agree with me Bsaza?

bsaza2358
01-09-2008, 01:52 PM
I am unsure if I agree with you on Dawkins, but I could see it. On the other hand, he's not too expensive, and his presence in the locker room is amazingly valuable. He is the heart and soul of the D.

I might be blinded because he is my favorite Eagle ever...

Sniper
01-09-2008, 04:05 PM
You could see a couple old Eagles cut this off-season. Dawkins, Akers, McNabb.... among others

Re the receiver situation...Isn't Fitzgerald on the block? I'd love to have him. But Chad Johnson will do :)

brat316
01-09-2008, 04:25 PM
if Fitz is on the block I would think the Cards would lock up Bryant Johnson. Chad Johnson I think is a better person than T.O. sure he has pranks and anticks but he doesn't go around say give me the ball, and go after his qb. Look at this season, not to good, but u didn't hear much from him.

bsaza2358
01-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Why would Fitzgerald be on the block? He is a Pro Bowler and may get even better over time. That would be idiotic. Roy Williams wants out of Detroit, and there could be a Chad Johnson trade out of Cinci. There's still a possibility of Javon Walker as well.

Sniper
01-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Why would Fitzgerald be on the block? He is a Pro Bowler and may get even better over time. That would be idiotic. Roy Williams wants out of Detroit, and there could be a Chad Johnson trade out of Cinci. There's still a possibility of Javon Walker as well.

Just what I heard. Rumor has it he's not a fan of Whisenhunt's O.

brat316
01-09-2008, 04:48 PM
How about Roy in Philiadelphia, I do love him, he is a beastly WR.

bsaza2358
01-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Whisenhunt's O got him to the Pro Bowl and several All-Pro votes. There is no way the Cards will give him up. The offense can be tweaked. Finding a talent like Fitz cannot be replicated...

bsaza2358
01-09-2008, 04:49 PM
How about Roy in Philiadelphia, I do love him, he is a beastly WR.

For the right price, I would take Roy Williams as an explosive #1 type WR. He has the right kind of attitude, and he is an enthusiastic blocker. Explosive playmaker and all that, too. Again, we're talking about for the right price, though. I'm not a fan of passing up first round picks for players.

Sniper
01-09-2008, 04:54 PM
For the right price, I would take Roy Williams as an explosive #1 type WR. He has the right kind of attitude, and he is an enthusiastic blocker. Explosive playmaker and all that, too. Again, we're talking about for the right price, though. I'm not a fan of passing up first round picks for players.

Why? Odds are the proven commodity will be better than the prospect.

brat316
01-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Yeah, is Jared Allen a FA, or RFA, He probably will be costly but if we do cut Kearse and Howard that frees up a lot of cap. But then we probably won't be signing another big name guy.

brat316
01-09-2008, 09:16 PM
I was thinking of safties the eagles might take no one in the first 2 rounds well not right now, unless its Phillips.

How about Demps from UTEP or Woodyard from Kentucky

mpt117
01-10-2008, 01:47 PM
the only safeties im a fan of in this draft are kenny phillips and craig steltz. but i also wanna see what quintin demps and jamar adams can do in the workouts and combine

bsaza2358
01-10-2008, 03:11 PM
HECKERT, DIMITROFF ARE BELIEVED TO BE FALCONS' FINALISTS
We're told that the finalists for the "G.M. Lite" job in Atlanta are believed to be Eagles G.M. Tom Heckert and Pats Director of College Scouting Tom Dimitroff.
If/when a hire is made, it essentially slams the door on any possibility of USC coach Pete Carroll getting the coach job, since he'd most likely want G.M. powers if/when he returns to the NFL.
We're also told that, if Heckert gets the G.M. job, he'll pursue Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo for the head-coaching position.
Finally, though many league observers believe that the successor to Heckert in Philly will be V.P. of player personnel Jason Licht, look for V.P. of football administration Howie Roseman to get the nod as G.M., even though Roseman isn't a "football guy."

Per PFT.

Thanks to Shiver for posting this.

brat316
01-10-2008, 04:37 PM
i think Demps will go crazy in the combine, well in the 40 at least i am saying around 4.48

jonbrodo17
01-10-2008, 06:31 PM
I still don't believe losing Heckertt will be that big of a deal because Andy still makes all the decisions, I haven't even heard of these other two guys.

bsaza2358
01-11-2008, 08:35 AM
Andy has final say, but Heckert is the one leading the scouts and doing the scouting. He was highly touted when the Eagles pulled him from Miami to replace Modrak, and he's helped lead the draft since 2002. That means all but one of his first round picks (McDougle) have been successful. He brought in Lito, Sheldon, Westbrook, Andrews, Reggie Brown, Gaither, Cole, Bunkley, Patterson, Considine, Herremens, Hunt, Gocong, Avant, Celek, and Tapeh. His scouting also led to UDFA's in Jamaal Jackson and Reno Mahe.

Losing him would definitely be a blow. Reid's job is to run the team and have significant input on draft and personnel. Heckert currently runs our scouting department that has helped create the longstanding string of competitiveness since 2000.

DragonMekha
01-13-2008, 05:29 AM
Its been awhile since i've been here(like I havent been here since last offseason).But I thought I would give some opinions and get some discussion going.First i'll go over each position and what I feel needs to be done,then a mock draft.

QB- I find it funny that I still see people about there (like some Bears fans) that think McNabb is on the trade block and is gone from the Eagles.I think otherwise.There will be those that argue he wasnt having a good season before he was injured once again.Or those that say he is now way too injury prone.And of course McNabb has the habit of opening his mouth and getting himself in hot water.But despite that,with all the injuries and media maelstorm involving Reid,we still almost had a chance to get into the playoffs.McNabb is the face of our team and maybe he does need a little more around him.As questionable as it was not getting Kolb any playing time,it was important the last few games to show McNabb can win and lead us.With A.J. and Kolb,I dont see much for any moves in the QB department.

RB-Brian Westbrook still continues to be underrated to an extent,yet I believe he's just one tier lower than LT as one of the best all purpose backs.And he really is starting to prove he can carry the load.Although McNabb is the face of the team,Westbrook is the best player.I believe this year we should treat him as a full load back and see what he can do.We still have Tony Hunt as id still like to see more of what he can do as a short yardage back.The question mark with the RB is Buckhalter.He'll stil show flashes but I feel it may be time to bring in someone to challenge him as a change of pace to Westbrook.But if we didnt,it wouldnt be a tradegy.

FB-Not alot to say,but I feel comfortable enough with Tapeh still.

WR-Ah the tabbo position with the eagles.No matter what we do,every year theres questions and arguements over the wr position.I've heard people calling Reggie Brown a bust.He's not I assure you.Is he elite? Not by any means .Kevin Curtis did well,now with another year hopefully he will be consistent.Avant is learning.Greg Lewis will look like a superstar one game and disappear for the rest of the season.And Baskett *crickets*. What to do.The Eagles rarely seem to win when it comes to drafting a WR.And theres very few this year in the draft that could be *great*.What wont happen that I wish would,would be for the Eagles to take a legit shot at Chad Johnson.After what TO did to us,Cowboys took a shot and he's been stellar.After what Moss did to the Vikes,Pats took a shot and he's been stellar.At this point if a solid effort can be made for Chad Johnson,id be all for taking the risk.But we all know its unlikely,sad but true.

TE-I feel will be a position of need.Its a forgone conclusion that LJ Smith is gone.I like Brent Celek alot,but i dont feel all that comfortable with Schobel.This might be somewhere to look for a FA pickup.In the draft,theres some decent talent at the top but no one I like in the mid-late rounds.So unless we spend a high pick on a Fred Davis/Martin Rucker or Martellus Bennett/Jermichael Finley fall a little,I dont see a decent draft option.

OL-Either this year or definetly next year,its time for the changing of the guards(or tackles).I definetly see a draft pick here with either a Guard or Tackle.It all depends on where we put some of the guys we have.Do Andrews or Herremans shift out to tackle?Will Winston Justice learn and get better after some nightmare playing time this year? So it depends on who is shifted where but something will be done.This MAY be part of McNabb's problem.From what i've seen,once McNabb starts getting hit a few times,he develops a case of jitters.That is when he starts forcing throws that are picks and throwing his famous dirt balls.Reinforce the line and give him time,and we may see the old McNabb.

DE-Trent Cole is a star.Juqua Thomas always does well in his role.We have Victor Abiamiri for the future.But Kearse and Howard are all but done.Either FA or draft will be here. Problem with the draft is like the TE prospects,theres great talent at the top,then the prospect talent flatlines outside a few later rounders I like.We definetly need someone on the opposite side of Cole.

DT-I think we are set with our starters.It is a possability we need some depth as our depth didnt look too good.I say either late round or FA.

LB-I've seen some mocks having us draft a Linebacker early in the draft.But I dont see it.Maybe one on day 2 or a FA pickup IF Takeo Spikes leaves.But I think he stays.We have alot of young guys already and I just dont see a whole lot being invested here.

CB-We have a great tandem in Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown when they are fully healthy.Problem is,they seemingly cant both stay healthy at the same time.I think we need an earlier draft pick here.For both depth and someone to step in when one of our starters get hurt.

S-Unfortunatly we have to start planning for life after Brian Dawkins.We dont have the best depth either.Whats worse is this draft isnt the best for safety prospects.If we have a shot at Kenny Phillips in the 1st,I say we definetly jump on it.

K-Akers has become more and more inconsistant.Do I think he majorly needs to be replaced? No.But we need some decent competition this year.Maybe even a 6th-7th rounder.

P-I think we are ok here for now.

An Eagles Mock-

1.Kenny Phillips-S-Miami(FL)-If we are gonna plan for life after Dawkins,this will make it a little easier.Its very likely he wont be available by our pick.I wouldnt mind Calais Campbell here either.If both are gone other options could be Ryan Clady(T-Boise St.),Desean Jackson(WR-Cal),Jeff Otah(T-Pitt),or maybe a CB like Mike Jenkins(USF) or Leodis McKelvin(Troy) or Antoine Cason(Arizona).

2.James Hardy-WR-Indiana-Since we are most likely not going to get Chad Johnson.I say we give one last shot at drafting a WR to try and break the mold.Hardy has been consistent and he's a big guy.He should be able to compliment our current core and if he can be taught to fight jams off the line,he could grow to be a prime player.If we dont go WR,possibly a TE here if a Fred Davis(USC) or Martin Rucker(Mizz) is still there.Also with knowing Reid,OL is always an early possability.As well as CB.

3.Aqib Talib-CB-Kansas-This is weighing that he even falls here.He's a bigger corner and he also values at something else we always need,a return man.Some say he is a bit overrated but there is one thing for sure he is,a playmaker.Depending on what happens at 2,if a TE such as Martellus Bennett(texas a&m) or Jermichael Finley(Texas) slips here,they could be an option.Also again like #2,an OL pick could be made as well.

4.Anthony Collins-OT-Kansas-Since I dont know how we will arrange our current guys,I didnt know whether to go with a guard or tackle.Collins would be estatic to be drafted to the same team as his good friend Aqib Talib.Again does he even fall to this pick? Right now its hard to determine with the underclassmen.But we all know its likely somewhere between rounds 1-4 a OL will be drafted.But we do seem to have a good track record of developing later round OL.

5.Yvenson Bernard-RB-Oregon St-An interesting pick but with two 5th's,we can gamble on taking someone to challenge Buckhalter.And with the massive amount of potential star underclassmen RB coming out this year,some decent senior's will be pushed down the draft boards.Yvenson isnt Stephen Jackson but he's adequate.I've watched a few games to see him run and he does have potential to challenge Buckhalter.

5.(Extra 5th gained from Hank Fraley trade to cleveland).
Wesley Woodyard-OLB-Kentucky-I just like this guy.I watched some Kentucky games this year to watch Andre Woodson and I liked Woodyard on defense.he makes plays.he wont be elite but we never seem to put too much worry into our Lbers being elite.

6.Bruce Davis-DE-UCLA-Many say he is overrated.But after watching this guy,i cant help but like him.he plays with a nasty demeanor.And he can hit.I think he's gonna fall because of just how inconsistent UCLA was this year.But id like to see what this guy can do.other possible late round DE I like are Kenny Iwebema(Iowa) and Louis Holmes(Arizona).Holmes has tremendous potential if he can play up to it which he didnt at Arizona.

7.(Our pick is gone in the buffalo trade for spikes but we should gets a 7th from seattle for the josh parry trade since he didnt make the team)
Jeremy Ito-K-Rutgers-He'll only be here if very few kickers are taken.But for a 7th,id take a shot at some competition for Akers.

Eaglez.Fan
01-13-2008, 11:36 AM
I think your being very optimistic. Talib will go in the 1st 2 rounds, Philips most likely won't last that long. And I'm not sure Hardy does either.

CW99
01-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Chad is more like Moss than he is TO. Moss wasn't a cancer what he wants to do is win.
Heckert gone doesn't mean anything Andy will hire someone to replace him andy has an eye for personell
Don't like what McNabb says about weapons fine but the truth is the playcalling with the talent we have is horrendous. people say oh look at curtis well lets look big games vs
Lions
Seahawks
jets
Vikes
and Saints
come on these guys have the weakest secondaries in the league we need a number 1 Curtis is and should only be a #2 or slot receiver

brat316
01-13-2008, 03:02 PM
I don't think Chad is a cancer, he is probably the prefect player. Sure he does goof as things when playing, but thats just having fun. Also he doesn't get arrested or says he smokes weed once in a blue moon, or go after his qb or team. I think having Chad here would be amazing.

DragonMekha
01-13-2008, 03:27 PM
I know the view is optimistic.But this year is the best year for the draft to be highly unpredictable as we are gonna have the most underclassmen talent coming out ever.So its very possible someone like Aqib Talib could fall a little bit.I even said its very likely Phillips is gone by our pick.But again,sometimes when your team has a bad year,it can drop you a little bit in the draft(theres some saying Calais Campbell is dropping a little too).

Well alot of people like to compare Chad Johnson to Moss and Owens.But I believe he is a better person than both of them as well.Sure he has his antics but most of them are harmless or not really a big deal.Since he's outspoken,its easier for Cincinatti and the media to make him the scapegoat for the Bengals constantly choking.So all he is saying is if he's really the problem,then get rid of him.Trust me I really wish we would take a shot at him.

For those of you who agree on Chad Johnson,what would you fofer for him? I'd give a second round pick in a heartbeat.maybe a 3rd and a player.

Sniper
01-13-2008, 03:29 PM
I know the view is optimistic.But this year is the best year for the draft to be highly unpredictable as we are gonna have the most underclassmen talent coming out ever.So its very possible someone like Aqib Talib could fall a little bit.I even said its very likely Phillips is gone by our pick.But again,sometimes when your team has a bad year,it can drop you a little bit in the draft(theres some saying Calais Campbell is dropping a little too).

Well alot of people like to compare Chad Johnson to Moss and Owens.But I believe he is a better person than both of them as well.Sure he has his antics but most of them are harmless or not really a big deal.Since he's outspoken,its easier for Cincinatti and the media to make him the scapegoat for the Bengals constantly choking.So all he is saying is if he's really the problem,then get rid of him.Trust me I really wish we would take a shot at him.

For those of you who agree on Chad Johnson,what would you fofer for him? I'd give a second round pick in a heartbeat.maybe a 3rd and a player.

If you're going to keep McNabb, it means you're trying to win now. So unless you can get an instant playmaker that will have the same type of impact as Johnson would next year, I say you give up the one. There's no way there's 19 better players than Chad Johnson in the draft.

Put it this way...the 19 is potential, but CJ is proven.

brat316
01-13-2008, 03:51 PM
No way a second round pick for him, thats just not enough, if they did that would be amazing. Realisticly a first and probably a 4th or 5th maybe a player.

jonbrodo17
01-13-2008, 04:48 PM
I actually think that they will make a push at Chad Johnson, I hope that they realize that the window of opportunity is basically closed unless they get another big-time playmaker on offense.

Eagles trade: 1st round, 3rd round, 5th round, Juqua Thomas
Bengals trade: Chad Johnson

is it too much?

Sniper
01-13-2008, 05:11 PM
I actually think that they will make a push at Chad Johnson, I hope that they realize that the window of opportunity is basically closed unless they get another big-time playmaker on offense.

Eagles trade: 1st round, 3rd round, 5th round, Juqua Thomas
Bengals trade: Chad Johnson

is it too much?

That's a little much there.

brat316
01-13-2008, 05:17 PM
either 3rd or J. Thomas

eaglesfan_45
01-13-2008, 06:01 PM
In alot of mocks people say that the Eagles need help at the tackle posistion but I thin kthey are wrong because we have Justice and Herramens(sp?).
Justice is still learning the game and is judged solely on his game against the giants that he was unprepared for, he was playing a posistion he was still learning and he went up against a premier pass rushing force in the NFL. He could really develop alot this offseason, he has just about the perfect amount of mentors on the team. Thomas & Runyan could teach him the tricks of the trade, he could talk to Kearse and Howard to find out what good DEs like to do and how to stop it, and he could go one on one with cole alot so he can improve on blocking finesse pass rushers which is one of his weaknesses as proven by his performance against Osi.
Herramens is a true tackle if I remember correctly and he can easily be replace at G by Jean-Giles.

I think our real weaknesses are LB opposite of Spikes, S to learn from Dawk and eventually replace him, WR to give McNabb a playmaker, TE to back up Celek who I think should be our starter next year.

Am I wrong or Right?

Sniper
01-13-2008, 06:07 PM
In alot of mocks people say that the Eagles need help at the tackle posistion but I thin kthey are wrong because we have Justice and Herramens(sp?). Justice is still learning the game and is judged solely on his game against the giants that he was unprepared for, he was playing a posistion he was still learning and he went up against a premier pass rushing force in the NFL. Herramens is a true tackle if I remember correctly and he can easily be replace at G by Jean-Giles. I think our real weaknesses are LB opposite of Spikes, S to learn from Dawk and eventually replace him, WR to give McNabb a playmaker, TE to back up Celek who I think should be our starter next year.

Am I wrong or Right?

I've said that about Justice ever since the Giants game, but they still need another OL because Thomas and Runyan are both old. Rumor has it the Eagles aren't necessarily too enamored with Herremans' play this year.

For the LBs, I think Gaither was our best backer this year. Spikes was a little overrated and looked slow and out of position at times. I'd drop Gocong down to the DE spot and try Bradley at OLB and see how he does.

S is a definite need.

Celek is a good #2 TE, but we need a playmaking TE at the #1 spot.

An experienced WR is needed STAT.

DragonMekha
01-13-2008, 06:25 PM
If we cant get Chad Johnson,who is even a possible FA wr option? Jerry Porter from Oakland? Anyone else?

As for those saying a 1st for Chad Johnson.Its not a lock that they will only take a 1st for him.In recent history,WR havent netted much in trades.Although its also very possible it will have to be a 1st because of one recent WR trade and what it netted (Chris Chambers to San Diego). With all that said.if Kenny Phillips and Calais Campbell were gone by our 1st pick,I would give up our 1st for Chad Johnson.About trading Juqua Thomas,wouldnt that leave our DE line a little bare.Or are you thinking we atleast keep one of Kearse/Howard?

jonbrodo17
01-13-2008, 08:04 PM
about the Juqua involvement in trade: either keep Howard or Kearse, but I was thinking FA (Jared Allen) or draft.

I don't think that LB is a weakness anymore, everybody for the most part played pretty well this year. A safety is a definite need, I liked the play of Quentin Mikell but you still need depth at that position. I think a TE is also a need, but I would rather have a veteran to have for a year or 2 rather than drafting Fred Davis so Brent Celek can develop more. I still wouldn't mind signing LJ for a year, he will hopefully not be injured and play really hard so he can get his paycheck.

Here is a link to FA WR's:

http://www.theredzone.org/2008/freeagents/showposition.asp?Position=WR

DragonMekha
01-13-2008, 08:33 PM
On the Free Agent WR list,no one would help us outside of possibly Jerry Porter.I say this because I highly doubt Randy Moss even touches free agency.Anyone else would be adding marginal talent which we already have.

brat316
01-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Yeah I was thinking Bernard, but sometimes he is amazing sometimes he dissapears. Then again the qb position is crazy for the bears. Also Bryant Johnson at 6'3 he is a big target former 1st round pick but stuck behind Fitz, and Boldin.

I see Jerome Mathis on the list he was a good returner untill his injury filled 2 seasons.

bsaza2358
01-14-2008, 08:16 AM
I threw this idea out to some Eagles fan friends this weekend and was not met with any complaints: Sign Dallas Clark as the lead receiving TE/slot WR. He's an absolute beast and would be great as a playmaker to move around. Clark, Celek, Westbrook, Brown, and Curtis out on the field gives McNabb plenty to throw to. Clark's biggest deficiency is that he can't block, though. Kind of messes up the screen game, but he's such a weapon in space...

JackieDan
01-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Dallas Clark would be a great pickup for the O, but I doubt the Colts let him go.

I feel that the Eagles will keep McNabb for one more season. He was moving a lot better in the last couple of games and looked like he will be productive in '08. I also feel that Kobb will benefit from another year holding the clipboard.

However at the end of next season I can see potentially quite a few changes. I think McNabb will go to make way for Kobb. Both Thomas and Runyan will be candidates for retirement, or upgrading, depending on the situation. Dawkins might be looking at retirement as well.
With this in mind '09 and possibly '10 will be rebuilding seasons, with a new QB and a new look O line.

If this is similar to what the team think will Andy Reids position by discussed at the end of next season? I am not saying that people will be looking to sack him, but I think they will be asking for a commitment to stay through the rebuilding phase, and beyond.

DragonMekha
01-14-2008, 04:58 PM
I have a hard time seeing Dallas Clark being let go by the Colts.I dont know what thier current money situation is after what they gave Bob Sanders is though.I think alot rides on what mindset we take this season. Do we see the window closing and andy reid possibly last gasp effort? If thats the case then we will hope McNabb can stay healthy,try to get someone like Chad Johnson and maybe another quality FA and go full throttle.And this could be what happens.With grumblings of Andy not being around too much longer and his personal life and the feeling from some that McNabb is just damaged goods.

Or do we just see if McNabb can stay healthy while at the same time building for the future.Rebuild the O-Line and D-Line and just worry about WR,CB,S later.

I think the best solution is a mixture of both.I would see if theres any chance to get Chad Johnson without breaking the bank. Then focus on S,OL,De,CB,TE in the draft.Regardless id like to atleast see one impact FA/Trade in the offseason as the average talent approach isnt working.

brat316
01-15-2008, 01:17 AM
Yeah, also I think we need to do a little bit better game planning/ using our players we have in a better manner / way. Like putting west and buck or hunt on the field together. Or maybe putting Curtis in the slot, using Basket more. i think hiring someone else as the O-coordinator would help. Going after at least one big FA/Trade would be nice, but that might not happen unless the Eagles get a good deal. Like the T.O deal, maybe they might when they went after Kearse.

bsaza2358
01-15-2008, 08:21 AM
I saw nothing really wrong with the playcalling this year as opposed to other years. I think there were plenty of good playcalls, but McNabb wasn't 100% and couldn't execute a lot of the time. The OLine's inability to protect well enough also caused some issues. Get a healthy McNabb and more solid OLine play, and a lot changes.

Sniper
01-15-2008, 09:03 AM
I saw nothing really wrong with the playcalling this year as opposed to other years. I think there were plenty of good playcalls, but McNabb wasn't 100% and couldn't execute a lot of the time. The OLine's inability to protect well enough also caused some issues. Get a healthy McNabb and more solid OLine play, and a lot changes.

But that kind of ties into the playcalling issue. Why are you throwing the ball 40-45 times a game with a QB coming off major knee surgery and you have one of the best backs in football? Even in close games, the pass took over.

Let's say the Eagles run 60 offensive plays per game. Usually it's 40 passes from McNabb and 20 carries from Westbrook. Instead of being so predictable and chucking the ball 40 times a game to mediocre receivers, let's use our backs more.

Examples...

Not counting the Buffalo game where he had 7 carries (because it was the last game and he didn't play much), Westbrook averaged the following.

19.36 carries per game, 6.14 catches per game. Roughly 25 touches. That's cool with me.

Meanwhile, Buckhalter averaged 5.0 ypc on 62 carries. That's about 4.43 carries per game, a number grossly inflated by his 17 carries against the Giants when Westbrook was injured. Take out the Giants game and his carries per game dwindles down to 3.2.

Hunt got 10 carries all year, but we saw the reason why in Dallas.

But next season , instead of being married to the pass so damn much, why don't we run the ball more? You've got the most versatile back in the league, a backup who can run the ball well and a promising second year player. So instead of 40/20, why wouldn't we do something like 30/20/7/3?

bsaza2358
01-15-2008, 09:08 AM
You are very much correct about the mix, Sniper. When the Eagles established the running game with Westbrook, McNabb was able to work the PA pass and also got more 1 on 1 opportunities down the field. By running first to set up the pass (novel concept), the Eagles were a better offense. I agree that they did not use Buck enough. He can be a great weapon to wear down defenses, and he is quite capable out of the backfield. He and BWest in a pro set as pass blockers and outlets works fine for me. You could even run a fake screen to BWest and screen for Buck as a really explosive play.

Hunt wasn't ready to see the field much. He's not strong enough to push the pile, and his pass blocking is horrendous.

DragonMekha
01-15-2008, 12:29 PM
I really do believe this year we should really see how Westbrook can do carrying the load.We have some road graders so its time to use that as an advantage.Plus the obvious,the more we run,the less McNabb gets hit.

Although not everyone enjoys seeing O-Line as our 1st pick,if we do go that way,who do you see? Oher or Clady or Otah? Im really not too impressed with the guard prospects this year so I think Tackle may be better to select from.

bsaza2358
01-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Well, assuming that Jake Long is gone (likely the case) and that Sam Baker will fall, I would like any of these guys out there. I like Oher and Otah best. If Phillip Loadholt came out, I'd also like to give him a look.

The Eagles could go anywhere on the OLine or DLine, and I would be happy.

DragonMekha
01-15-2008, 02:32 PM
If we didnt go O-Line in the first,if he's there,what do you think about selecting Calais Campbell? I really Like Oher and it seems to me he'd be a great fit for Philly if we do go O-Line in the first.

bsaza2358
01-15-2008, 02:55 PM
I like Campbell as an option for sure. He has a ton of talent, but his technique is definitely not up to snuff. If he can improve technique and get a little bigger, he could be a beast.

eaglesfan_45
01-15-2008, 04:46 PM
The more I think about the more I think we don't need a speed reciever, we need a posession reciever we shoul dsign Bryant Johnson if he becomes a free agent. Also I think we should make a run at Vilmam who is likely to be on the trading block because he doesn't fit with the Jets 3-4 scheme and move gaither to OLB.

eaglesfan_45
01-15-2008, 04:48 PM
I like Campbell as an option for sure. He has a ton of talent, but his technique is definitely not up to snuff. If he can improve technique and get a little bigger, he could be a beast.

Calais(sp?) campell? becasue hes already pretty big

camp_eagles
01-15-2008, 05:41 PM
The more I think about the more I think we don't need a speed reciever, we need a posession reciever we shoul dsign Bryant Johnson if he becomes a free agent. Also I think we should make a run at Vilmam who is likely to be on the trading block because he doesn't fit with the Jets 3-4 scheme and move gaither to OLB.

I would love Vilma and if they move Gaither back to the WILL then Spikes moves to SAM and Gocong goes to DE. The odds of this happening are slim but i can always dream

DragonMekha
01-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Calais(sp?) campell? becasue hes already pretty big

By bigger im sure he means a little more weight to his frame.We definetly need one big FA move,whether its Chad Johnson,Jared Allen,Jonathan Vilma,Dallas Clark.Any of those movies would really help.Plus it would give us a better idea of where to go with the draft.

As for a speed reciever,yes we really dont need one,unless its one who can also be a star returner.If most the top tackles are gone,and Kenny Phillips/Calais Campbell and the top corners are gone by our pick.I wouldnt mind Desean Jackson.If he somehow fell to our 2nd rounder I would definetly.But I agree that we more need a big posession reciever as a atrget for McNabb.Whether it be at WR or TE.

What posessions on the Eagles do you feel should be left alone or dont need any movement? I feel QB,RB (unless we draft someone to challenge Buckhlater/Hunt),DT (unless way late round pick for depth).And FB and Punter. I dont think LBer is a major need. Do you think we should draft someone late to put some pressure on Akers?

camp_eagles
01-15-2008, 07:11 PM
A Receiver I am personally in love with is James Hardy from Indiana 6-7 220 now that is a possession receiver that we could draft with our second round pick.

eaglesfan_45
01-15-2008, 07:13 PM
A Receiver I am personally in love with is James Hardy from Indiana 6-7 220 now that is a possession receiver that we could draft with our second round pick.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sniper
01-15-2008, 07:16 PM
And FB and Punter.Do you think we should draft someone late to put some pressure on Akers?

FB is a major need. I want a big badass FB like Ritchie was, or at least someone who does something useful. I'd love either Owen Schmitt or Peyton Hillis.

Yes on the kicker.

DragonMekha
01-15-2008, 07:26 PM
FB is a major need. I want a big badass FB like Ritchie was, or at least someone who does something useful. I'd love either Owen Schmitt or Peyton Hillis.

Yes on the kicker.

Do you think FB is enough of a major need to take a pick away from other positions we need as in TE,OL,DE,CB,S and possibly WR?

Oh and Sniper,your a Michigan fan right? I thought I was about the only Philly and Michigan fan haha

As for James Hardy,in my mock that started alot of this discussion,I had us taking him in the 2nd.If we dont make a trade for Chad Johnson.Id take a shot at Hardy for a big target.He was consistent,just needs to learn how to beat the jam (from what i saw he had issues in Indiana's bowl game).

Sniper
01-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Do you think FB is enough of a major need to take a pick away from other positions we need as in TE,OL,DE,CB,S and possibly WR?

Oh and Sniper,your a Michigan fan right? I thought I was about the only Philly and Michigan fan haha

As for James Hardy,in my mock that started alot of this discussion,I had us taking him in the 2nd.If we dont make a trade for Chad Johnson.Id take a shot at Hardy for a big target.He was consistent,just needs to learn how to beat the jam (from what i saw he had issues in Indiana's bowl game).

Depends on the value of the pick and who's on the board. This is an incredibly weak safety class, for one. The OL class concerns me sometimes. Receiver is very hit or miss. Like I said, it depends who's on the board.

Yep I'm a Philly and UM fan. We're a dying breed around here.

Love James Hardy. Wouldn't mind him.

bsaza2358
01-16-2008, 08:51 AM
I am also a big Hardy fan. I love how he uses his body, and he has excellent control. I am a Penn St. fan, so I watch a lot of Big 10 football. His route-running and agility are impressive for a tall guy.

Sniper
01-16-2008, 08:54 AM
I am also a big Hardy fan. I love how he uses his body, and he has excellent control. I am a Penn St. fan, so I watch a lot of Big 10 football. His route-running and agility are impressive for a tall guy.

Yeah he just completely abused Justin King this year in the PSU game. At worst he could be a great red zone threat. Coincidentally, our red zone offense sucked this year. Seems like a match made in heaven

bsaza2358
01-16-2008, 08:58 AM
The Eagles have never invested more than a 5th round pick in the FB position. Tapeh could be brought back on the cheap at the worst case, or this Davis (?) kid could step in, also on the cheap. I don't consider the position a true need area.

bsaza2358
01-16-2008, 08:59 AM
Yeah he just completely abused Justin King this year in the PSU game. At worst he could be a great red zone threat. Coincidentally, our red zone offense sucked this year. Seems like a match made in heaven

Yes, and Justin King is a very good college CB who should be a #2 CB in the NFL someday.

Sniper
01-16-2008, 09:01 AM
The Eagles have never invested more than a 5th round pick in the FB position. Tapeh could be brought back on the cheap at the worst case, or this Davis (?) kid could step in, also on the cheap. I don't consider the position a true need area.

It wouldn't hurt though.

And is King really 185 pounds? He plays like he's 150.

bsaza2358
01-16-2008, 09:06 AM
I'm not in favor of anything better than a 4th rounder on a FB. As we all can agree, there are depth issues in the secondary and future concerns on the OLine and DLine to deal with, plus more weapons for the offense. Considering the Eagles are not afraid to roll with 3 and 4 WR sets, it doesn't make sense to use an earlier pick on a player who may only be on the field for 25 offensive snaps a week.

bsaza2358
01-16-2008, 09:07 AM
King is listed at 185, but my sources at PSU say he's probably 175 or so. He does tend to play soft, but if he gets in the right defense with the right coaches, he'll be fine. The guy does need to add some bulk to his frame.

Sniper
01-16-2008, 09:09 AM
I'm not in favor of anything better than a 4th rounder on a FB. As we all can agree, there are depth issues in the secondary and future concerns on the OLine and DLine to deal with, plus more weapons for the offense. Considering the Eagles are not afraid to roll with 3 and 4 WR sets, it doesn't make sense to use an earlier pick on a player who may only be on the field for 25 offensive snaps a week.

Oh yeah I'm not saying blow a pick 1-3 for the guy, but I'm sure Schmitt, Hillis or Hester could be had around rounds 4-5 maybe.

bsaza2358
01-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Not against the idea, but it's very low on my priority levels for the team. As I have been saying for a month now, we need to focus on the trenches and secondary first, then more offensive weapons.

machoking6
01-16-2008, 03:34 PM
I was reading Dave Spadaro on the Eagles website and he listed some tidbits regarding Eagles free agents for this year and next year. It got me curious so I'm going to throw out some quick hits regarding the free agents and the draft.

Tapeh is an unrestricted free agent, as noted in previous posts. FB isn't exactly a vital position for the Eagles. Tapeh was solid enough. But let me tell you how much I like Peyton Hillis from Arkansas. If anybody watched Arkansas upset LSU the Friday after Thanksgiving then they saw the performance Hillis put up. Hillis cleared holes for McFadden, he had a 60+ yard TD run (against a fast LSU defense mind you), and he caught a McFadden pass for a TD. The guy did everything in this game and I would love to see the Eagles pick him up with a 4th or 5th round draft pick.

Runyan and William Thomas are both unrestricted free agents after the 08 season. The Eagles have Winston Justice ready to take over one of the tackle positions, but the heir to the other OT position is unknown at this time. I wouldn't be surprised if the Eagles picked up Jeff Otah from Pitt to groom for a year, and start him after the 08 season. It's not a flashy pick, and it's certainly not an immediate contributing pick, but it's a smart pick.

Takeo Spikes is also an unrestricted free agent after the 08 season. How much emphasis will the Eagles place on selecting his successor? Probably little, if any. I like Erin Henderson from Maryland a lot. If he's anything like his brother, EJ Henderson, then he'll have a definite nose for the football. I also like Gino Hayes from FSU, but I believe he's got some issues. I remember watching him against Miami 2 years ago and this guy flying all around the field and racking up about 10 tackles.

The secondary is going to need some work done. Will James is an unrestricted free agent. Pardon me if I offend anybody, but I say good riddens. Joselio Hanson is a restricted free agent, and I'm positive the Eagles will re-sign him. I heard nothing but praise regarding Hanson, and I assume the Eagles will look to him to be the nickel. I still believe that the Eagles will definitely need a CB though, considering Lito's injury troubles. I don't have any clear cut favorites, but the position definitely needs depth whether it's in the draft or in free agency.

In addition to CB, the S position is going to have to be thought about. Dawkins and Considine are both unrestricted free agents after the 08 season. Who knows what the Eagles are gonna get with Dawkins. One season he comes out and plays like a man possessed. The next season he comes out and is banged up with all types of injuries. The Eagles are fortunate enough that Quentin Mikell played extremely well this season. But after this season, will the Eagles let Dawkins go and move Considine (assuming he's re-signed) over to FS? Does Mikell have starter potential? Does Considine stay at SS? As I said, a lot of questions about this position. Unfortunately, I'm positive that Kenny Phillips won't fall to the Eagles. Someone like Reggie Smith from Oklahoma could be a versatile pick for the Eagles. He has played both CB and S at Oklahoma. The Eagles could bring him along much like the Titans brought Michael Griffin along. They can start him off at CB before shifting him over to a S position.

Those are my thoughts. One last thing. The Eagles should pay Brian Westbrook however much money he wants.

DragonMekha
01-16-2008, 04:17 PM
@Sniper26- I didnt know there were enough Philly/Michigan fans out there to even be a dying breed lol.
I live in Arizona and for college,everyone is fans of pac 10 teams or Nebraska/Notre Dame/Ohio St/Texas.And for NFL everyone is either Dallas/Green Bay/Oakland/Indy fans.

I guess it wouldnt be a tradegy to select a fullback late,IF we have filled our more important needs before then.What worries me is at two positions of need for us DE/S,there is little depth at those positions in the draft.Thats why I would love if Kenny Phillips or Calais Campbell fell to us.But even if they did,we still might go OT with Otah/Oher.At CB there is some depth and even someone like Antoine Cason(Arizona) may be around in the 2nd/3rd with all the underclassmen that came in that seemed to have pushed him down the board.

What should we do as in trying to get a KR/PR? Should we look at a WR with those skills (Desean Jackson) or a CB with those skills (Aqib Talib)?

bsaza2358
01-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Based on what the ESPN draft guys are saying, both Jackson and Talib are projecting as top 15 picks. If you trust their initial assessment, that means the Eagles would need to trade up to get either of these players.

Sniper
01-16-2008, 05:17 PM
I will punch someone in the face if we draft DeSean Jackson.

jonbrodo17
01-16-2008, 08:36 PM
I doubt that they would draft him, so lucky for the guy ur gonna punch in the face. I actually loved how Thomas Tapeh played this year, I sometimes watched real close and he was definitely better than last year. the one surprise position i think that they will look to upgrade is Kicker, David Akers had another bad year (to his standards) and i wouldn't be surprised if they brought in some competition

Go_Eagles77
01-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Right now I would really like a CB in the 1st round, but there isn't too much mid 1st round talent at the position. Also I really don't think McKelvin should even be an option that early, he's a mid-late 2nd rounder to me.

brat316
01-16-2008, 11:59 PM
Yeah I am no longer big on Jackson any more. A cb, that can be had in the mid round is Reggie Smith, though he is safety, would be a nice nickle. Mike Jenkins, McKelvin would be a good pick there, after his combine I think he will go up. To bad Malcom Jenkins is not coming out.

eaglesfan_45
01-17-2008, 12:01 AM
I will punch someone in the face if we draft DeSean Jackson.

ooooookkkkkk, anyway

Sniper
01-17-2008, 12:13 AM
Yeah I am no longer big on Jackson any more. A cb, that can be had in the mid round is Reggie Smith, though he is safety, would be a nice nickle. Mike Jenkins, McKelvin would be a good pick there, after his combine I think he will go up. To bad Malcom Jenkins is not coming out.

Malcolm Jenkins would not have lasted until 19. Smith might though. He can play some corner, some safety, return punts and kicks in a pinch. I love his versatility.

mpt117
01-17-2008, 01:36 AM
here could be some help with our offseason plans...its the eagles salary cap chart for the 2008 season. http://eaglescap.com/Charts/2008Chart.html

we have 51 players signed and only 2 free agents (FB Thomas Tapeh and TE LJ Smith) we obv gonna have some other changes as people will get cut and with new free agents and players we draft. according to this website, we have $19,115,190 under the cap. so, we can definetly make some moves in the offseason...

brat316
01-17-2008, 02:27 AM
where is Hanson. Also doesn't the cap go up, so we actually should have more. and we have to have like 80 players by camp.

Also the eagle like to have at least like 20 mill every year.

mpt117
01-17-2008, 02:51 AM
yeah but the past 2 yrs i know that the eagles have had around 10-15 million in cap room, now its almost 20 mill. and i have no idea where hanson is

mpt117
01-17-2008, 02:54 AM
well they have archives of the past 3 years of the eagles salary cap too and we have had under 10 mill in cap room all 3 yrs. but idk if that is before or after the offseason has started

machoking6
01-18-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm sure most people are furious over the DeSean Jackson pick in the newest mock draft. I gotta admit that I like the pick. For starters, Jackson can provide an immediate upgrade at special teams. For once the Eagles won't be settling for somebody who is reliable in just catching a punt. Jackson will be able to come in on 3 wide sets and spread the field. This will allow Curtis to line up in the slot where he is most comfortable. If the coaches are clever enough, Jackson could be used in a lot of different ways. His presence on the field will command attention because of his speed. This presence can allow other players to thrive.

I don't think Jackson will even be available to us because of how much potential he brings to the table. If he's gone, and Otah is off the board as well, I've got myself in a mindset of really liking Reggie Smith from Oklahoma. I love his versatility in playing CB or S, and that could be of immediate use to the Eagles.

mpt117
01-18-2008, 10:17 AM
yeah i used to like Pitt OT Jeff Otah but i have read is that he is very raw and has huge upside, so it could take a couple years for him to step in and contribute and we pretty much have one year before Tre or should i say William is gone or retired. Also, there is a member on that posts here on NFLDC and said he has talked to players on Pitt and they said that while Otah is good they are shocked he has a 1st round grade

brat316
01-18-2008, 10:54 AM
I would rather have a corner who could return, that give depth and and ST. WR is over loaded, Lewis is going to be around 1 more season then cut. We just need to put avant and Baskett on the feild more

machoking6
01-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Otah isn't my first choice by any means, but if he were the guy I certainly wouldn't mind it. The Eagles will consider the OT position knowing that Runyan and Thomas are both free agents after the following season. We all know Andy Reid pays special attention to the offensive and defensive lines, so I know whatever happens he'll put the Eagles in a good position for the future.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a CB with return skills that would be worth the 19th pick. If DeSean Jackson isn't the guy at 19 then who is?

bsaza2358
01-18-2008, 11:42 AM
With both Runyan and Thomas under contract for another season, the Eagles have the flexibility to draft Otah (in theory) and sit him a year for him to work on technique and such. However, I think the team needs their first rounder to be on the field from Day 1. I'd prefer an immediate starter at any position over anything. I think they're going to go DLine or DB. Just a hunch.

Of course, a lot of these hunches can change based on what happens in FA.

mpt117
01-18-2008, 11:51 AM
yeah there is a lot of depth at WR this year in the draft so we could wait till round 2-3 or maybe 4 to find a gem. also the depth in this years draft and free agency class at DE is strong. so my guess is we will try to go DB early since its weaker this year than in years past and i would love reggie smith...he can play CB and safety and would play right away at nickel

bsaza2358
01-18-2008, 11:57 AM
I think the WR class has a lot of strength at the top, but not a lot of depth. There are some intriguing players, but I don't see a lot of gems after Round 2. If the Eagles can go 1-2 with an offensive pass rusher or DB and a WR or receiving TE, I'd be ecstatic.

mpt117
01-18-2008, 11:58 AM
i have also read that Virginia Tech OT Duane Brown has looked like a legit NFL LT according to reports and notes from the east west shrine game and he could be had in the later rounds if that helps id say rounds 3-5

bsaza2358
01-18-2008, 12:03 PM
If the Eagles do one thing consistently well, it's finding OLine talent later in the draft. In addition, recent drafts have yielded some defensive gems in Bradley, Gocong, Gaither, Cole, and (to a lesser extent) Considine. You also have to consider guys like Mikell and Jamaal Jackson, who were UDFA's.

The team remains young in a lot of places, but more depth and future talent is needed. This is a very interesting offseason.

Sniper
01-18-2008, 12:07 PM
bsaza, what are your thoughts on USC TE Fred Davis? Personally I think he's an absolute stud. Converted HS wideout, he's a big target and he's great after the catch. 2nd round pick maybe to replace Smith?

bsaza2358
01-18-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm not as sure about Davis as you seem to be, Snipe. He looks to run very well in space and has excellent hands (harkening to his WR background). He also seems to block decently. However, he wasn't outright dominant in college at any point. He couldn't get past Dominique Byrd (who is a marginal NFL player), and he didn't make more of an impact. He looks to have excellent agility and route-running, but he also looks small compared to college DE's, which means his listing of 6'4" isn't really accurate. I think he could be a weapon in the pass game. I'd consider him in the late second round, I guess. I like Carlson better, but I'm more a fan of the "traditional" style TE for the WCO.

mpt117
01-18-2008, 12:55 PM
For TE im am fans of Davis, as already mentioned, Jermichael Finley, Martin Rucker, and Martellus Bennett. Im not really a fan of Carlson but Rucker could go in rounds 2-3, like Davis. Bennett could go from rounds 1-3 and Finley could go from rounds 2-4

bsaza2358
01-18-2008, 01:25 PM
It is possible that no TE's go in the first round this year. Not definite, but probable. QB's will still go in Round 1, but there are premium talents at other positions that should push these guys down. It is possible that one could even fall to round 3. There is a lot of talent to be had.

machoking6
01-18-2008, 01:43 PM
I love depth at DE, but I don't think the position warrants the 1st round selection. Trent Cole has claimed the RE position while Juqua Thomas and Victor Abiamiri will be able to hold down the LE position. Depth could be found in later rounds or through free agency.

I like Fred Davis and John Carlson a lot. I'm a bigger Notre Dame fan than I am an Eagles fan, so I'm prepared to defend Carlson in any way possible. A lot of people feel that he's not that good because of how bad ND was this season. He was their only weapon and was getting double teamed every which way. When the ball comes his way though, Carlson makes the catch. Fred Davis is a WR playing TE, but aren't all the great TEs like that? Gates, Gonzalez, and Winslow Jr can all line up in the WR slot. I don't care what kind of a blocker he is, Davis makes plays. I would be thrilled if the Eagles were lucky enough to pluck 1 of the 2 in the 2nd round.

eaglesfan_45
01-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Ummmmmmmmm Machoking, why are you named after a Pokemon?
http://www.pokexperto.net/nds/artwork/67.jpg

anyway, over in the cowboys discussion some of them are saying that they should get Pacman Jones but I was wondering what would happen if we got him not in a trade of course that way we won't lose anything if he screws up, which is a definite possibility, but say we sign him to a 1 year contract, would it be good? I think he could solve the nickel back problem and the special teams problem but the real question is

do the eagles have enough leadership to put him in his place, or does he screw with the team like TO did?

brat316
01-18-2008, 04:31 PM
no way to much ego then, also brown would probably be shifted to nickle and safety.

McLevin can return, after his combine I think he can be picked at 19.

I don;t real see any stand out TE in this year, kind of like last year, except Olsen came out. I don't see any TE running around 4.4, or around 4.5 maybe high 4.5

machoking6
01-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Ummmmmmmmm Machoking, why are you named after a Pokemon?
http://www.pokexperto.net/nds/artwork/67.jpg

anyway, over in the cowboys discussion some of them are saying that they should get Pacman Jones but I was wondering what would happen if we got him not in a trade of course that way we won't lose anything if he screws up, which is a definite possibility, but say we sign him to a 1 year contract, would it be good? I think he could solve the nickel back problem and the special teams problem but the real question is

do the eagles have enough leadership to put him in his place, or does he screw with the team like TO did?

I don't know what's gayer - the fact that my SN is based off of the Macho Man Randy Savage, who is apparently named after a Pokemon, or the fact that you know which Pokemon characters are which.

No way the Eagles get Pacman. Too much baggage.

eaglesfan_45
01-18-2008, 04:36 PM
I don't know what's gayer - the fact that my SN is based off of the Macho Man Randy Savage, who is apparently named after a Pokemon, or the fact that you know which Pokemon characters are which.

No way the Eagles get Pacman. Too much baggage.

Do not lie you used to play with those silly little cards and gameboys like the rest of the world. I admit I used to play when I was about 5 or 7 Pokemon was the shiite back then.

bsaza2358
01-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Wait, Pokeman is a sub-group of the Muslim religion? haha. Not trying to get political or religious. You just spelled it weird.

eaglesfan_45
01-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Wait, Pokeman is a sub-group of the Muslim religion? haha. Not trying to get political or religious. You just spelled it weird.

my bad

John Harbaugh is the new Ravens coach kinda sucks but don't know how much it will affect the Eagles
Is this a big deal or a small deal?

brat316
01-19-2008, 12:50 AM
i don't know maybe drafting a rookie corner, we might think twice about it and rather take a vet.

machoking6
01-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Do not lie you used to play with those silly little cards and gameboys like the rest of the world. I admit I used to play when I was about 5 or 7 Pokemon was the shiite back then.

No, I was cool.

jefepowhnzer
01-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Dang I hadn't read this page in a while, I had some real catching up to do.

IMO, I don't think they should draft a receiver before round 3. Obviously, McNabb was not at 100% the entire year and I don't feel this year is a fair assessment of his skills at this point in his career. Mid-season I was ready for change at QB. But my mind was quickly changed during the solid final stretch he had. I think those last few games we were finally seeing as close to 100% as he has been all season. I'm all for the idea of keeping McNabb for 08 and going from there.

As far as the WR position I don't think any major upgrade is needed. The WR corps is not anywhere near great, nor are they a bunch of scrubs. Each receiver brings a different skill to the table that can be utilized. A slightly bigger focus on the running game is needed as well. When the play calling was at its most balanced this year it seemed the team moved the ball much better. Hopefully next season the play calling can be slightly more balanced using Buck and Hunt. I liked the idea that someone had a few pages back of a 30 pass/20 Westbrook/7 Buck/3 Hunt play distribution. The only real problem I had with the play calling this season (and I must admit I was only able to watch/listen to about 7 or 8 games this season) was when the team got into the red zone, and more specifically inside the 15. I don't know if it was just a coincidence that the team's worst execution came in the red zone or if it was play calling. The Eagles had 51 possessions in the RZ, which is almost in the top third of RZ opportunities, and only scored 23 TD's, which if I remember correctly put them in the lower quarter of RZ TD efficiency. Heck, a bump in the RZ TD efficiency from bottom quarter to third quarter would probably mean a playoff berth. So in a sense, moving the ball isn't really a problem, it's just punching it in for 6 that seems to be the biggest issue.

As far as draft talk goes I would really like to see an Olineman who can contribute immediately, a DB who can be groomed for the future or a LB in the first 3 rounds, in no particular order. To be honest I would be really happy if the first 3 picks looked something like this: Highsmith/Cason/Carl Nicks. It may be a stretch to say Nicks would be there in the 3rd but it's going to be close. After that it's kind of a free for all and I need to do some more research before I go deeper in the draft.

DragonMekha
01-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Dang I hadn't read this page in a while, I had some real catching up to do.

IMO, I don't think they should draft a receiver before round 3. Obviously, McNabb was not at 100% the entire year and I don't feel this year is a fair assessment of his skills at this point in his career. Mid-season I was ready for change at QB. But my mind was quickly changed during the solid final stretch he had. I think those last few games we were finally seeing as close to 100% as he has been all season. I'm all for the idea of keeping McNabb for 08 and going from there.

As far as the WR position I don't think any major upgrade is needed. The WR corps is not anywhere near great, nor are they a bunch of scrubs. Each receiver brings a different skill to the table that can be utilized. A slightly bigger focus on the running game is needed as well. When the play calling was at its most balanced this year it seemed the team moved the ball much better. Hopefully next season the play calling can be slightly more balanced using Buck and Hunt. I liked the idea that someone had a few pages back of a 30 pass/20 Westbrook/7 Buck/3 Hunt play distribution. The only real problem I had with the play calling this season (and I must admit I was only able to watch/listen to about 7 or 8 games this season) was when the team got into the red zone, and more specifically inside the 15. I don't know if it was just a coincidence that the team's worst execution came in the red zone or if it was play calling. The Eagles had 51 possessions in the RZ, which is almost in the top third of RZ opportunities, and only scored 23 TD's, which if I remember correctly put them in the lower quarter of RZ TD efficiency. Heck, a bump in the RZ TD efficiency from bottom quarter to third quarter would probably mean a playoff berth. So in a sense, moving the ball isn't really a problem, it's just punching it in for 6 that seems to be the biggest issue.

As far as draft talk goes I would really like to see an Olineman who can contribute immediately, a DB who can be groomed for the future or a LB in the first 3 rounds, in no particular order. To be honest I would be really happy if the first 3 picks looked something like this: Highsmith/Cason/Carl Nicks. It may be a stretch to say Nicks would be there in the 3rd but it's going to be close. After that it's kind of a free for all and I need to do some more research before I go deeper in the draft.

I definetly agree that we should and will keep McNabb.Honestly if we were really going to jettison McNabb like some think,we would of gave Kolb some playing time at the end.

Thats just the thing about our WR core,they are decent talent but none of them are elite.We need that elite target in the WR core.Even if it comes at TE.Maybe someone like Martellus Bennett from Texas A&M.I'd love to see a possible of either Bennett or James Hardy from Indiana in the second if either last there.

As for your draft.Ali Highsmith is not a 1st rounder.Cason more than likely wont last to our 2nd rounder (he should be late 1st/early 2nd).And I dont much about Nicks.

Our thing our 1st round pick either goes OT/DE/CB with an outside chance at WR/LB/S.Safety wont be the selection unless Phillips is available or the eagles love Reggie Smith from Oklahoma.I still hold hopes the Eagles might make an effort at Chad Johnson.

Incinerator
01-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Our thing our 1st round pick either goes OT/DE/CB with an outside chance at WR/LB/S

I agree with you somewhat here. I doubt we pick any OL in the first round, I really believe it will be a DE or DB. I also hope that 2 of our first 3 picks go Defense, hopefully DE and DB, LB doubtful.

Does anyone other than me think that Mario Urrutia is better than the 32nd best WR in this class? Last year I really liked him but Louisville blew this year, so was it his fault? Last year I thought he was a lot like Hardy but am I just way off base? IMO he would be a great pickup in the 5th-6th round(since Scott says he's the 32nd best WR he'll probably go around there or lower) if he but tell me if I'm just really stupid.

brat316
01-21-2008, 01:55 AM
I think that guy from Hawaii is good, one who decided to come out early. Sure he has high numbers, but clearly he had to have the hands to catch all those balls thrown his way.

OL in the first only if its like the only guy left or does amazing in the combine, after Feb 29 when the new season start we will know. I still think it might be McLevin, cb that is big and physical, for the Plax, and T.Os and can return.

mpt117
01-21-2008, 05:56 PM
there were 2 WR that came out early from Hawaii: Davone Bess and Ryan Grice-Mullen, but i assume you meant Bess

brat316
01-21-2008, 06:34 PM
yeah I think he could be a mid round steal or around third, if we don't attempt to get a trade for a good playmaker. Also if we do go WR/KR/PR then it could be Moore from Wake Forest.

Does Bess return kicks? If not then Moore,

camp_eagles
01-21-2008, 08:42 PM
what do you guys think about Eddie Royal as a returner?

bsaza2358
01-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Royal has a lot of skills and could be a nice late round pick. He should fly under the radar, but he has good burst and is a solid route runner. If nothing else, he can return kicks.

Go_Eagles77
01-22-2008, 01:48 PM
I think Donnie Avery is an interesting prospect as a mid-round receiver/ return guy, he's really quick/fast and he was also one of Kevin Kolb's favorite targets in college.

brat316
01-22-2008, 02:13 PM
how about moore from Wake, 87 receptions and played wr/KR/RB

also Chris Johnson i think would be a good first round pick or second round steal

Go_Eagles77
01-22-2008, 02:27 PM
I think the only way we draft Chris Johnson is if he is there somehow in the 3rd round, I really don't see us taking a RB in the 1st 2 rounds, it's just not a need.

jonbrodo17
01-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Obviously it depends on who the guy is, but would you rather have a returner/WR or a returner/CB, personally i think CB because i think its a bigger need

*on Chris Johnson, I think that they like like Tony Hunt and we just don't need a RB

brat316
01-22-2008, 03:54 PM
cj can play WR

Go_Eagles77
01-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Obviously it depends on who the guy is, but would you rather have a returner/WR or a returner/CB, personally i think CB because i think its a bigger need

*on Chris Johnson, I think that they like like Tony Hunt and we just don't need a RB

You could always get a WR/returner and a CB, but the idea of McKelvin is actually kinda growing on me, he's actually a much better cover corner than I thought he was, and he's also a good return guy. lol all this talk about returners I bet the eagles are gonna just stick with Mahe and Reed.

bsaza2358
01-22-2008, 04:12 PM
There is a possibility that Reed would be back as a returner and reserve S, but I doubt Mahe has any real chance. The team needs explosiveness across the board, and that's never been Mahe. He will not be back.

camp_eagles
01-22-2008, 05:42 PM
The only reason Mahe was on the team this year is because he does not muff punts. his average was only an 8 which ranked him 16th in the league for punt return average for players with at least 20 returns.

bsaza2358
01-23-2008, 08:21 AM
Exactly my point. Mahe does not have a place on the field for the Eagles. Perhaps he can be a coach down the line.

brat316
01-23-2008, 06:16 PM
I think the Eagles go Cb, first round or second, but either way I say they end up with McKlevin or Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

camp_eagles
01-23-2008, 07:52 PM
I wouldn't mind a corner first but I would rather have a safety. Also why do I constantly see mocks giving us a linebacker in the first round? I view linebacker as a strength of the defense.

bsaza2358
01-24-2008, 08:58 AM
The mocks giving the Eagles a WR or LB are just flat ridiculous. WR has rarely been such a need for the team (in its own eyes) that they would take a WR over other available players.

I agree completely that LB is a strength.

brat316
01-24-2008, 12:39 PM
If we do draft a Wr, which we will, I think it will be on day 2, in the third or fourth, a speed guy, that can just stretch the field.

Yeah I don't see why people think the Eagles need a Lb, even if Spikes leaves that is not till next season, and if he leaves now the worst we need are 1 or 2 backups.

DE is more of a concern then LB.

cunningham06
01-28-2008, 12:26 AM
Reggie Smith is the man. I'd love to get him he's a great player who would be a good Dawkins replacement. I DESPISE drafting WR's in round 1 they bust so often and I don't trust the Eagles picking of WR's. Safety is a much safer pick.

brat316
01-28-2008, 12:05 PM
I think its D.R.C in the first and safety like DeCloud in the second, or we move up to grab someone that falls from round 1 like Reggie. We do have success grabing linemen late, so I don't see that changing much, unless we have like the guy from Boston or Williams at our pick with D.R.C gone.

Only reason D.R.C, i like better than McKelvin is that hands and a little more return ability. D.R.C i think has much better hands then McKelvin, looking at the stat line, McKelvin reminds me of Ike Taylor of Steelers, good cover guy and tackler, horrible hands even if it hits him in the chest, its a bounce off.

Go_Eagles77
01-28-2008, 02:07 PM
I think they are gonna pick the best available DB, whether it be S or CB, but Reggie Smith definitely is a favorite of mine because of his versatility. McKelvin is my #1 though. Rodgers-Cromartie looked excellent in the Senior Bowl, but I think he's more of a playmaker type player like a Lito Sheppard, I really want a true shut-down corner and that's McKelvin.

camp_eagles
01-28-2008, 03:02 PM
I love Rodgers-Cromartie's size espically because of the problems that Burress and Owens give us I wouldnt mind either as long as they could stay healthy for a whole year

Go_Eagles77
01-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Very good point, I forgot about all the tall receivers in the division, that could be a huge advantage because going up against Plax it will only be a 3 or 4 inch difference and not 7.

jonbrodo17
01-28-2008, 05:14 PM
Its a good point but I don't believe in drafting a particular guy just because of another teams strength. If that tall CB happens to be the best CB available, great but if there's a better overall CB I think they should just take the better overall player. For all we know in 5 years T.O. could be retired, Plax traded etc.

Sniper
01-28-2008, 06:39 PM
I really would love to see Kenny Phillips in Philly...

camp_eagles
01-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Kenny would be my first choice over any of other players who are projected to be available when pick #19 comes

bsaza2358
01-29-2008, 08:17 AM
Kenny Phillips appears to be the best player at his position. I could see plenty of other teams making a move to get him before the Eagles could.

brat316
01-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Kenny will most likely be gone, I think after combine he becomes top 10, or 5. Last year Landry people were questioning him after combine, no one said anything. I think D.R.C is the best Cb its him and Jenkins and I am not a fan of Jenkins also I see him dropping after D.R.C does pretty amazing at the combine.

bsaza2358
01-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Don't overlook Chris Williams, the OT from Vandy. He was dominant at the Senior Bowl, and he's looking like a potential front line OT. He is a sleeper.

camp_eagles
01-29-2008, 03:49 PM
I have nothing against drafting an OL in round one but I want to see some production in the first year from our first round pick. And unless Thomas or Runyan are traded odds are an OL would have no impact. And I'm not against grooming a linemen but I just feel Philly needs an immediate impact at other positions like DE or secondary. So I feel like a 2nd or 3rd round OL would have the same impact as one in the first round would this year anyways.

bsaza2358
01-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Thomas or Runyan could be cut or nontendered in theory. I agree that there are some defensive positions that need work, but a bookend OT could be great as well. Heck, if you could draft another William (Tra) Thomas to play LT the next 12 years, wouldn't you forego a DE or CB for that opportunity?

brat316
01-29-2008, 04:04 PM
If the first round pick is a D player then don't expect impact from that player right away. Johnson doesn't real play rookies right away, and it usually take the rookies time to learn the D. Players drafted for D usually make more of an impact in their second year.

Gaithers, Patterson, Bunkley, Gong(though he was injured).

bsaza2358
01-29-2008, 04:10 PM
The Eagles have about a 60/40 split on offense vs. defense in the first round. They have multiple needs and could literally make a move either way, from moving up to dropping back, from OLine or DLine or secondary or even WR or TE.

Sniper
01-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Thomas or Runyan could be cut or nontendered in theory. I agree that there are some defensive positions that need work, but a bookend OT could be great as well. Heck, if you could draft another William (Tra) Thomas to play LT the next 12 years, wouldn't you forego a DE or CB for that opportunity?

Jake Long, come on down!

bsaza2358
01-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Long won't be on the board when the Eagles pick. Think Chris Williams or someone of his ilk when you're predicting. I don't think the Eagles have enough ammo to move up into the top 5.