PDA

View Full Version : Mos Mock Draft Nov/6/07

Man_Of_Steel
11-06-2007, 01:24 PM
MOS Mock Nov/6/2007

Heres my Nov/6/2007 Mock Draft, haven’t done one since Oct/19 so here it is.

Round 1

DT, Frank Okam, Texas
6’5 320

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/specials/preview/2006/scout.report/photos/texas.jpg

Obviously the offensive line is the biggest concern however with Jake Long, Sam Baker, Ryan Clady and Gosder Cherilous presumably off the board there is not another O-lineman worthy of the pick, some will say Loadholt or even Williams but I don’t see the reach. We then turn our attention to the aging/depleted D-line and see that not only is Okam in a position of need but also quite possibly the best player available. It was all that long ago Okam was considered an elite prospect. He’s a big space eater who constantly penetrates.

Round 2

OT, Barry Richardson, Clemson
6’7 330

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/clem/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/82106.jpeg

While Richardson doesn’t get the public’s praise of Hills or marvel of Loadholt don’t be fooled, Richardson is solid and can be Marcus McNeil. With the big 4 all gone, Williams presumably taken by this point the remaining lineman of interest are Hills, Richardson, Loadholt and Benedict. Hills likely will be gone by this point, as for Benedict he is again injured and to the same leg, that reoccurring injury will hurt him badly and many see him and his injury troubled past to be at best a 5th rounder at the moment. Loadholt is an interesting case. He has proven little but his skill set and size is undeniable. Loadholt perhaps has the largest window this draft. The Steelers decide to go the safer route, Richardson is the pick.

Round 3

OT, Jeff Otah, Pitt
6’6 340

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/pitt/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/577015.jpeg

The Steelers reshape their o-line. With our future LT in place the Steelers take the RT of their future Otah. Otah will get the experience he needs while waiting behind Smith. This is an ideal pick as Otah has played phenomenal this season and while his draft stock will range from late 2nd-early 4th he is the pick if here.

Round 4

RB, Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois
6’0 226

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper736/stills/yh9qcca8.jpg

The year of the RB really helps the Steelers out here. Take a look at what the RB class could be…
Darren McFadden, Arkansas
Jonathan Stewart, Oregon
Mike Hart, Michigan
Allen Patrick, Oklahoma
Felix Jones, Arkansas
Steve Slaton, WVU
Ray Rice, Rutgers
Ryan Torain, Arizona St.
Tashard Choice, Georgia Tech
Dontrell Savage
Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois
Jamaal Charles, Texas
Keven Smith, CF
James Davis, Clemson
Ian Johnson, Boise St.

That’s immense. Mendenhall has been a favorite of mine for quite sometime and with rumour’s of him declaring I’m pretty stoked. Mendy is big, strong, physical and fast. He can imediatley split carries with Parker and add consistency to the rushing attack. The value here is great thanks to the strength of the RB class. I know Mendenhall is somewhat of a unknown prospect to some so here’s your chance to give him a grade yourself, this Saturday Illinois goes up against the toughest defense in college football, Ohio State. The game will be shown nationally at 3:30 on ABC. Watch the game as how he performs with a porous O-line against the toughest D in the nation should be a big indicator of what kind of back he is.

Round 5

DE, Chris Harrington, Texas A&M
6’5 265

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper657/stills/l31zcc89.jpg

Smith and Keisel are built from the Steelers mold and Harrington appears to be cut from the same cloth. Nothing about Harrington stands out but he plays with great instincs, a great motor, great passion and great production. Not much to say about Harrington on paper but watching him play will tell you what he’s all about.

Round 6

WR, Mark Bradford, Stanford
6’2 215

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/pac10/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/601768.jpeg

While I still love Amarri Jackson hes not the mold of WR we are looking for. Jackson is too similar to Washington, what we need is a Ward like player. Do I see one? No. However I think Bradley could be a developemental guy who can be groomed for the position. He has a thick frame for a WR and is a solid route runner.

Mr. Stiller
11-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Okam is not a good DE, if you want a DT/DE grab Kentwan Balmer of North Carolina.

Richardson is a 4th to 5th rounder, 3rd at best, no way is he a 2nd. He's slow and lazy.

Mendenhall on day 2 is just no plausible. Even if he comes out, he's likely a 3rd rounder at worst. He's better than a lot of guy you listed him behind.

Smooth Criminal
11-06-2007, 05:51 PM
I don't like the Okam pick at all. I don't think he would be able to be a 3-4 end and We have Hampton and Hoke both locked up for a few more years.

I really think the only spot we need to adress in round 1 is O-line. I'm sure there will be a guard worthy of a late round pick similar to Grubbs for the Ravens this year. Hopefully we can pick up a guy capable of coming in an starting.

Man_Of_Steel
11-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Okam is not a good DE, if you want a DT/DE grab Kentwan Balmer of North Carolina.

Richardson is a 4th to 5th rounder, 3rd at best, no way is he a 2nd. He's slow and lazy.

Mendenhall on day 2 is just no plausible. Even if he comes out, he's likely a 3rd rounder at worst. He's better than a lot of guy you listed him behind.

First off stiller this was expected so Im not really gonna bother but for a few points.

Exactly where did I say defensive end? Not once. He would spell Hampton and play in the 4-3 we mix in every game. Also with the schemes we play having two DT in too space eat and take in blockers allows the LBs to get to the QB far easier.

4th to 5th round????? Get off the booger sugar.

First off the runningback list wasnt in order of my rankings it was just simply a list. He may not be there it is dependent on the number of backs who declare.

TerribleEd
11-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Frank Okam does offer excellent value where the Steelers will presumably be selecting, however he is only a good selection if the team seeks to implement the 4-3 permanently to semi-permanently. I prefer the flexibility of Dre Moore at the end of the round, even if a reach as a first-rounder.

Barry Richardson is the one LT prospect I hope we avoid. He has been called out publically by his own college coach for not living up to expectations and for not working hard to meet expectations.

Jeff Otah in the third would be great if he falls there.

Would like to see a FB like Owen Schmidt in there somewhere.

Hines
11-06-2007, 08:18 PM
honestly, the only pick i like is mendenhall and otah

Mr. Stiller
11-06-2007, 09:25 PM
First off stiller this was expected so Im not really gonna bother but for a few points.

Exactly where did I say defensive end? Not once. He would spell Hampton and play in the 4-3 we mix in every game. Also with the schemes we play having two DT in too space eat and take in blockers allows the LBs to get to the QB far easier.

4th to 5th round????? Get off the booger sugar.

First off the runningback list wasnt in order of my rankings it was just simply a list. He may not be there it is dependent on the number of backs who declare.

Okam ~ I too hope we draft a backup with our first overall pick. If we go 4-3 full-time, I still wouldn't want Okam with more dedicated players out there (Moore, Balmer).

Richardson ~ As Ed stated, he's been called out by his coach for being lazy and not leading this team. If thats what you want to use a 2nd rounder on, be my guest.

Mendenhall ~ Mendenhall is like a 230lb RB in a 210 frame. He's going to run in the low 4.4's and he's a great receiver from the backfield. Not to mention he's a complete RB (Blocker, Runner (Between and outside) and receiver). Not many of those go round 4.