PDA

View Full Version : Pats Draft 08

DWilliams2IndyColts
11-06-2007, 02:11 PM
If the Pats ended up with the #1 pick who would they take. I say they would trade down and possibly get Laurinaitis, Maualuga, and Long.

damasta13
11-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Wow, I don't think they will get all three! :P
Although they are the pats! I dread to think who they will pick! Would they take mcfadden? how scary would they be with someone like him as a backfield threat

DWilliams2IndyColts
11-06-2007, 02:20 PM
I think it's possible though. Trade to ateam with two firsts and a 2nd and trade the two 2nds and a third for a first.

brat316
11-06-2007, 02:21 PM
ahahhah that actually maybe a possibilty of top 5 they way SF is playing. If they get top 5 i think they go CB, or move merrieweather to CB and draft Phillips which would be crazy

fischbowl
11-06-2007, 02:31 PM
I would say Long.

Addict
11-06-2007, 02:33 PM
the patriots' selection will be a defensive one probably.... they could use a talented youth at Corner (to replace samuel who will probably bail out after this season) Safety (Harisson isn't getting any younger) and Linebacker (since Seau, Bruschi and Vrabel aren't spring chickens either.

D-Unit
11-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Would the Pats pass on McFadden? They don't seem to like Maroney as a full time back.

Don Vito
11-06-2007, 03:14 PM
If we had the chance to take Jake Long I think we should. Either that or trade down for DE/OLB and secondary depth, McFadden is also a possibility. He and Maroney would be a scary tandem for the future.

no love
11-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Luckily for the rest of the league, the strength of the Niners schedule is not that strong in the final stretch. The last thing this league needs is a stocked Patriots team with a top 5 draft selection.

They have some very winnable games, along with 3 of their last 4 games at home. Plus they seem to play much better at the end of the year.

4 of their 7 wins last year came after week 9 against some good teams.

Oh and I don't see the Laurinitis pick. He seems a little small compared to the rest of their LBs and their LB's aren't built around speed anyways. They are built around being technically sound, playing their assignment and being strong at the point of attack (not exactly Laurinitis' strength). If they pick up a LB I would think that they trade down and pick up someone like Crable, Gholston, Groves etc), as all 4 of the current starters were ends in college.

Addict
11-06-2007, 03:30 PM
if he falls a bit and the 49ers keep up their current suckage, they could have a look at Kenny Phillips.

Borat
11-06-2007, 03:53 PM
I think trade back is most likely. They'd be so scary with McFadden, but I think a team is more likely to trade up with them if McFadden were there. They might opt to stock up in next years draft since they already have the Raiders' 3rd this year. But, if Jake Long is there, they may have to grab him. I've seen peoples mocks with them taking Chris Long, but I don't see them going DL in the first.

D-Unit
11-06-2007, 04:01 PM
if he falls a bit and the 49ers keep up their current suckage, they could have a look at Kenny Phillips.
Depends what they do with Brandon Merriweather...

fenikz
11-06-2007, 04:10 PM
They would probably trade down, i don't think they would want to be stuck with paying a rookie that much money

BroadwayJoe10
11-06-2007, 04:29 PM
It depresses me everytime i think about this haha. Like fenikz said, as good as Mcfadden is, I dont think they sink all that money into an unproven player (even if he could be amazing) when they are unwilling to put money into a proven player already on there team. My guesses would be (1) trade down if possible, (2) long, (3) take a long hard look at kenny phillips (3b) i think top 5 would be too high for him, but quentin groves depending on how he plays. I would hate to see him two times every year.

That having been said, they certainly threw me a curve ball this year when they got moss, stalworth etc. So I'm not gonna rule out anything anymore and just say that it's an unfortunate scenario for the rest of the league, especially afc east.

ChiFan24
11-06-2007, 04:39 PM
It would be McFadden, no question in my mind. They'd have no trouble finding carries for DMC and Maroney. Of course, if this WERE to happen, we could just cancel the next couple seasons, because there would be absolutely no stopping them.

DChess
11-06-2007, 04:41 PM
why jake long? that o-line might be the best in the league and not because of talent but they have the most chemistry in the league. i wouldnt be suprised if they would take mcfadden, seeing as teams love the 2 back system now a days and maroney getting injured this year. i think they will end up with a linebacker though

DWilliams2IndyColts
11-06-2007, 04:47 PM
why jake long? that o-line might be the best in the league and not because of talent but they have the most chemistry in the league. i wouldnt be suprised if they would take mcfadden, seeing as teams love the 2 back system now a days and maroney getting injured this year. i think they will end up with a linebacker thoughWe mean Chris.

Borat
11-06-2007, 05:07 PM
No, I said Jake Long and I meant Jake Long. Keeping Brady healthy and giving him time to throw is the key to their team. Matt Light is good, but it wouldn't hurt having a franchise LT to groom. But trade down is more likely to happen. Maybe to Dallas for both their firsts.

BucSappy
11-06-2007, 06:26 PM
I don't think they will trade down. I just don't see the point of acquiring more picks with an already stacked roster, and I don't think any team will want to trade up that high in the draft.

Assuming if the draft was tomorrow this is how the top 5 would go down:

1. STL: Jake Long T Michigan
2. MIA: Chris Long DE Virginia
3. NYJ: Darren McFadden RB Arkansas
4. ATL: Matt Ryan/Andre' Woodson/Brian Brohm
5. NE (f/SF): Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State

Scotty D
11-06-2007, 06:30 PM
I don't think they will trade down. I just don't see the point of acquiring more picks with an already stacked roster, and I don't think any team will want to trade up that high in the draft.

Assuming if the draft was tomorrow this is how the top 5 would go down:

1. STL: Jake Long T Michigan
2. MIA: Chris Long DE Virginia
3. NYJ: Darren McFadden RB Arkansas
4. ATL: Matt Ryan/Andre' Woodson/Brian Brohm
5. NE (f/SF): Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State

Patriots will get a 2009 first rounder from someone, its how they roll.

bored of education
11-06-2007, 06:31 PM
laurinitis. he is able to shed blocks know, is stronger, smarter than last year. He could play inside or outside in that system

no love
11-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Patriots will get a 2009 first rounder from someone, its how they roll.

Yah, if they can get someone else's 09 first rounder then they can go back to stealing the other teams signals and not worry about missing a 1st rounder.

And Laurinitis cannot play OLB in the Pats system. He just isn't that type of player. OTs will wash him out of the run game on every play and I don't think he will be a great rush backer compared to a former DE. Besides, they are a team so full of good OLB's that they are sticking their prize FA acquisition at ILB because they have Colvin and Vrabel on the outside.

Babylon
11-06-2007, 06:40 PM
laurinitis. he is able to shed blocks know, is stronger, smarter than last year. He could play inside or outside in that system

To me he would fit in there the most, and Teddy and Seau are getting old and are starting to show it. They can probably get a corner or an OL in the second round but i dont see an inside backer in round 2 that would make me pass on Lauranaitis.

soybean
11-06-2007, 06:58 PM
if they did that, that'd be the ultimate F*** YOU! to the league.

brat316
11-06-2007, 07:47 PM
No the ulitmate F*** U would be taking Campbell or Long, long is in the model of DE/OLB, he is a great fit, able to do mulitple things. Either Guy from Miami would be amazing for them, Phillips moves Meriweather down to corner. Campbell would allow Bill to Scheme like crazy wit that mosnter of a man.

Geo
11-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Copy/paste of part of my recent post in the Falcons' Draft Thread (err, it made sense at the time):

It's hard to peg who the Patriots will go for, as of current standings they have the fourth overall pick (Krafty bastards, *grumble*). Far too high for a linebacker or cornerback, I think ... Kenny Phillips is a consideration, although he seems a tad high too ... I just recently penciled in Jake Long for them. He strengthens their talented offensive line even further, giving their offense a boost in both run blocking and pass blocking. Which could prove important as Randy Moss is signed to a one-year deal, purposefully using this year with the Patriots to land another big-dollar contract (which unfortunately the idiot media doesn't even talk about at all).

Granted, Matt Light is only 29 years old and a top-notch left tackle in this league. He has/does occassionally struggle with pass rushers, but I don't think that's been much of the case this year. Still, right tackle Nick Kazcur isn't as effective in either the pass or the run, adding Jake Long would give the Patriots the best offensive line since the glory days of the Kansas City Chiefs' line of a few years ago.

*Note* Using the current draft order, I have Chris Long penciled in to the St,. Louis Rams at #1, Glenn Dorsey to the Miami Dolphins #2, and Darren McFadden to the New York Jets at #3. Hence Jake Long reaching the Patriots' pick.

Babylon
11-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Copy/paste of part of my recent post in the Falcons' Draft Thread (err, it made sense at the time):

It's hard to peg who the Patriots will go for, as of current standings they have the fourth overall pick (Krafty bastards, *grumble*). Far too high for a linebacker or cornerback, I think ... Kenny Phillips is a consideration, although he seems a tad high too ... I just recently penciled in Jake Long for them. He strengthens their talented offensive line even further, giving their offense a boost in both run blocking and pass blocking. Which could prove important as Randy Moss is signed to a one-year deal, purposefully using this year with the Patriots to land another big-dollar contract (which unfortunately the idiot media doesn't even talk about at all).

Granted, Matt Light is only 29 years old and a top-notch left tackle in this league. He has/does occassionally struggle with pass rushers, but I don't think that's been much of the case this year. Still, right tackle Nick Kazcur isn't as effective in either the pass or the run, adding Jake Long would give the Patriots the best offensive line since the glory days of the Kansas City Chiefs' line of a few years ago.

*Note* Using the current draft order, I have Chris Long penciled in to the St,. Louis Rams at #1, Glenn Dorsey to the Miami Dolphins #2, and Darren McFadden to the New York Jets at #3. Hence Jake Long reaching the Patriots' pick.

I cant argue with that logic.

P-L
11-06-2007, 08:25 PM
I think they'd try first and foremost to trade down. The Pats would love to get a second 1st Round pick back, or a 2009 1st Round pick.

However, trading down from #1 overall is almost impossible. I think that they would either opt for Darren McFadden or Jake Long. I think Jake Long makes more sense, but he isn't quite a #1 overall caliber player. Then again, I personally don't see Darren McFadden as a #1 overall caliber player either. It's really a tough call. I'd probably lean towards Jake Long, because Matt Light is solid, but not spectacular and Nick Kaczur is very inconsistant. Also, they seem to like Sammy Morris who has 3 years left on his contract.

Geo
11-06-2007, 08:32 PM
If I may offer a snipet of Football Outsiders' great Pro Football Prospectus 2007:

The Patriots' dramatic split in effectiveness running to the left side as opposed to the right side has a bit to do with injuries and a bit to do with talent. Most of New England's running plays go behind left tackle Matt Light and left guard Logan Mankins, but the performance on the right side has deteriorated since 2004. While Nick Kazcur is penciled in as the starting right tackle, he's been pretty average so far in his career, while injury replacement Ryan O'Callaghan is a project that wasn't ready when he entered the starting lineup last year. O'Callaghan will be pushed by former Alabama tackle Wesley Britt, who looked better than either O'Callaghan or Kazcur in his one start against the Bengals last year. Right guard Stephen Neal missed time with a shoulder injury, and took a step back from his 2005 form.
We have clearly seen the damage Tom Brady can do with time in the pocket, with or without Randy Moss at his disposal.

Shiver
11-06-2007, 08:52 PM
They need a young LB in the worst way.

BamaFalcon59
11-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Quentin Groves in the 3-5 range.

NYGibril28
11-07-2007, 07:34 AM
Would the Pats pass on McFadden? They don't seem to like Maroney as a full time back.

I agree. McFadden would be tough to pass on.

theogt
11-07-2007, 11:29 AM
I think trade back is most likely. They'd be so scary with McFadden, but I think a team is more likely to trade up with them if McFadden were there. They might opt to stock up in next years draft since they already have the Raiders' 3rd this year. But, if Jake Long is there, they may have to grab him. I've seen peoples mocks with them taking Chris Long, but I don't see them going DL in the first.This seems likely. The Cowboys covet McFadden and they have two firsts this season.