PDA

View Full Version : Is College football in trouble???

Iamcanadian
11-07-2007, 10:37 AM
I think it is pretty safe to say that most of the top teams today can beat anybody on any given day. The strength of conferences vary from year to year based on how many QB's graduated from their teams and how many starters are returning.
The SEC has 2 factors which favour them in the casual and even the die heart fan's mind.
1) They are on National TV practically every weekend on CBS and ABC which generates a tremendous amount of hype about their games. Most of the other conferences play on regional cable systems and simply aren't seen a whole lot by out of region fans. Even the Big 10 went this route this past season and that means only Big 10 fans get to see their games if they pay for them. I think this gives the SEC an absolute huge edge in publicity for their games.
2) The second factor that favours the SEC is the fact that a large # of SEC football teams have great histories so even if they are weak in any one season, beating them still carries a lot of prestige even if it is no longer deserved. The names of LSU, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Arkansas and Tennessee simply have earned over the years a reputation for greatness and that is far deeper than any other conference. It doesn't matter if one or more of them is weak this season, the games carry a lot of hype.
As a result of these 2 factors, the SEC has in essence become America's conference since they dominate National TV. I'm a Big 10 fan but I watched all of LSU's big games this season as well as a large # of Florida's and other SEC teams, certainly way more than I saw Big 10 games. I think if this trend continues, the SEC is going to get a huge boost in recruiting and could indeed start to dominate college sports.
However, sticking with this season, The SEC's top preseason teams LSU and Florida both lost their starting QB's so I knew that they would not be dominating college teams. Florida also lost 90% of their defense. It is actually exceptionally rare that a college team that loses its starting QB ever gets to compete for the NCG. It has happened but it is very rare. That is why the Pac 10 looked strong this year, Booty, Longshore, Carpenter, Dixon, Olson, Tuitama, and Brink were all returning as starters for their Pac 10 teams. What made this season so weird is the fact that the top teams with solid returning QB's all came out of the chute with their QB's faltering. Michigan and USC, preseason top 5 teams, didn't get the QB play they expected and have suffered the consequences. This has opened the doors for the Ohio St.'s and LSU's to stay higher ranked than you might expect considering what they had at QB. What bothers me is that the national exposure that LSU has received is making the BCS look biased toward say an Oregon who gets very little national exposure. When I saw Georgia jump from #20 to #10 then barely survive against Troy and still stay at #10, I have to wonder just what the long term effects of the SEC's national exposure is going to mean for college football.
I really don't have a clue to who should be in the NCG this year. The odds now favour Ohio St. and LSU but in my mind any of 5 or 6 teams are quite capable of winning the NC if a playoff system was in place and whoever the BCS screws in leaving them out of the NCG is going to have a very legit claim to calling the current system totally unfair. I think whoever wins this year's NC is going to leave a bad taste in many people's minds about whether or not they deserved to be called NC's.

BNad
11-07-2007, 11:30 AM
This thread probably could have been called "I really hate the SEC." I find it really hard to believe that recruits would shy away from going to USC, Michigan, OSU, Texas, Oklahoma, etc because they see these (apparently) overrated teams beating up on each other on CBS.

I'm not sure the Georgia/Troy game was on TV, but as I was at the game, and going into halftime I don't think I was even worried about the game as a UGA fan. The score might lead you to believe it was more of a game than (at least I believe) it was. Oh, and we're definitely not the 10th best team in the country, I know this.

BuddyCHRIST
11-07-2007, 11:35 AM
It all comes and goes in trends, theres wayyy to many good players for any conference to hoard them all. While we say this, the Pac 10 is as strong as its ever been. The SEC will always get good recruits just because in the south area there is so many kids they play football.

gstock05
11-07-2007, 01:31 PM
My personal view about SEC teams is that they look so much faster and "better" because at least half of their games are night games.

In the big 10, OSU refuses to play night games after Texas 2005, and just in general, teams dont like games at night.

Believe it or not, night games have a big impact on how people view the game, from the stands, tv, and even the players on the field.

Secondly, it's not secret the SEC has virtually no academic standards, which allows SEC teams to take many borderline athletes, JUCO stars, and such.

Third, SEC fans love drinking their own coolaid. But to answer the question implied in this thread, no, college football is not in trouble.

kwilk103
11-07-2007, 02:49 PM
i didnt know that about osu and night games; i know wvu players and coaches would love to play more night games

LonghornsLegend
11-07-2007, 04:44 PM
There is a limit on scholarships you know, colleges just cant get everyone that is interested in the school...Also Location, there are athletes down south and on the west that dont want to travel far away from home, especially when you have colleges like Oklahoma, Texas, USC, Cal, etc, especially up north with Penn St, Ohio St, there are good athletes and coaches everywhere, SEC isnt going to stop other colleges from getting dominant players

brat316
11-07-2007, 05:04 PM
blah blah blah, just fix the BCS rating system, make it better, so you dont have teams in the top 10 that don't belong. Shouldn't the Ducks be ranked higher than LSU for beating Arizona st.

Yeah, there are good athletes everywhere, also from school reputation players want to go there, give some kid a chance to go to da U, he would jump at it. And you also some of those big time recruits can turn out to be bust, while the guys not recrutied much will become stars, you never know.

Yeah the SEC does get a lot of exposer, but they do play a majority of the night games, so people looking to watch football at night get to see these games, unlike where other colleges that play during the day.

Sniper
11-07-2007, 05:16 PM
It also helps the SEC that their academic standards are slightly lower than the National School for the Retards....

diabsoule
11-07-2007, 05:19 PM
The only reason I would say college football is in trouble is because of the current BCS format for determining a national championship. I'm for conference realignment and a playoff format which would be the only way to determine a true national champion and which would also increase the parity.

Just my thoughts as I don't see college football in any trouble other than what I just mentioned.

brat316
11-07-2007, 05:21 PM
yeah some conferences are just garbage, MAC, and others while others are dominating SEC, ACC, PAC 10, maybe a sake up is needed

Green Bay Scat
11-07-2007, 08:04 PM
the only team that has a lower standard on academics in the SEC is USC

jballa838
11-07-2007, 08:10 PM
blah blah blah, just fix the BCS rating system, make it better, so you dont have teams in the top 10 that don't belong. Shouldn't the Ducks be ranked higher than LSU for beating Arizona st.

Yeah, there are good athletes everywhere, also from school reputation players want to go there, give some kid a chance to go to da U, he would jump at it. And you also some of those big time recruits can turn out to be bust, while the guys not recrutied much will become stars, you never know.

Yeah the SEC does get a lot of exposer, but they do play a majority of the night games, so people looking to watch football at night get to see these games, unlike where other colleges that play during the day.
my friend got a letter from Miami(FL) and he immediately ruled them out.
his joke for it was: "i cant meet the admission standards, i have a 4.0 and i havent stabbed anybody."

BNad
11-07-2007, 08:12 PM

I would think Auburn is right there with them.

draftguru151
11-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Auburn has higher academic standards than most schools, as done Miami.

soybean
11-07-2007, 08:48 PM
EDIT: nevermind.

soybean
11-07-2007, 08:50 PM
auburn had about 8-9 of their players academically inelligible.

Im_a_Romosexual
11-07-2007, 09:29 PM

Not Vandy? or am I reading it wrong

BuddyCHRIST
11-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Vandy is one of the best schools in the country...

Im_a_Romosexual
11-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Vandy is one of the best schools in the country...

so i was reading it wrong. I thought it was schools w/ good educational stuff

fenikz
11-08-2007, 04:34 PM
As a guy whose favorite team is in the ACC and lives in Pac-10 country I'm never afraid to admit that a regular SEC football game is far more entertaining than any other regular football game.

srv fan
11-09-2007, 02:46 AM
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1natudoc_brief.php

Big 10 schools in the top 50 academic rankings- 5
SEC schools in the top 50 rankings- 2

Big 10 schools in the bottom 50- 0
SEC schools in the bottom 50- 6

Yeah, the academics of the two conferences are really comparable...