PDA

View Full Version : Future 3-4 NT Prospects

bored of education
11-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Help me out I'm trying to figure out who is a solid prospect for NT's in the 3-4. From who I have seen I'd say Antonio Dixon from the U. The little I saw of this kid, he is a truck.

Anyone else I should keep an out out for?

PACKmanN
11-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Frank Okam
Dre Moore
BJ Raji - The best one in the draft, IMO-
Frank Morton
Henry Smith

What do you guys think of Andrew Bain, Miami being moved from OG to NT? he has the size, height and speed(6'3 344 5.15) with the right coaching staff he could become solid at that position.

2009/2010

Al Woods
Myron Pryor?
DeMarcus Granger?
Terrance Taylor
Ernest Mitchell?
Jeff Owens? Heard this guy can bench more then 525 pounds

furiousgod
11-07-2007, 01:56 PM
is bj still gonna come out even with not playing pretty much the whole second half of the season due to academics?

M.O.T.H.
11-07-2007, 02:00 PM
If we're talking future NT's.

Keep an eye on the Gamecocks RS freshman DT, Kenrick Ellis. Shouldnt have a problem fitting into multiple schemes at 6'5 335 lbs.

Don Vito
11-07-2007, 03:35 PM
If by future you mean beyond the 2008 draft, Boston College DT Ron Brace is a junior now and he has loads of 3-4 NT potential. He gets overshadowed by BJ Raji, but since BJ has been out Brace has stepped up. He is about 6-3 and has before last season officially weighed in a 360+ (BC scale only went up to 360 pounds). He is down to about 340 and is moving around a lot better this season. He is a great run stopper who has shown the ability to rush the passer, and he certainly has everything you look for in a 3-4 NT.

If Raji comes back to BC next season, Brace and Raji could be an elite college DT tandem,

BucSappy
11-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Frank Okam
Dre Moore
BJ Raji - The best one in the draft, IMO-
Frank Morton
Henry Smith

What do you guys think of Andrew Bain, Miami being moved from OG to NT? he has the size, height and speed(6'3 344 5.15) with the right coaching staff he could become solid at that position.

2009/2010

Al Woods
Myron Pryor?
DeMarcus Granger?
Terrance Taylor
Ernest Mitchell?
Jeff Owens? Heard this guy can bench more then 525 pounds

I think Dre Moore is an UT. So is Myron Pryor. I don't think Granger or Taylor could play NT in a 3-4 scheme.

Mr. Stiller
11-07-2007, 11:00 PM
2008:

Sedrick Ellis
Nick Hayden
Frank Morton
Richard Clebert
Viliami Akoteu
Yaniv Barnett

2009:

Terrance Taylor
Jeff Owens
B.J. Raji
Myron Pryor
Peria Jerry
Antonio Dixon
Tonga Tea
Ron Brace
Jessie Bowman

2010:

Ekom Udofia
Al Woods
Ben Alexander
Boo Robinson
Wallace Pendleton
Phillip Taylor
Sione Fua

2011: (potential)

Marvin Austin
Simi Fili
Mike Constanzo
Chris Perry
Darius Savage

YAYareaRB
11-07-2007, 11:59 PM
2011: (potential)

Marvin Austin
Simi Fili
Mike Constanzo
Chris Perry
Darius Savage

I like your eye.. I'm pretty sure Marvin Austin is athletic enough to play in any scheme though. Simi Fili is definitely a monster. One of the strongest kids I have even known. I met him at a football camp about two summers ago and he's just a beast!

SenorGato
11-08-2007, 04:00 PM
Out of Boo Robinson, Phillip Taylor, and Terrence Taylor...which would rank highest?

Phillip Taylor strikes me as one of those Ngata/Wilfork guys who could play any position on the 3-4 DL.

Mr. Stiller
11-09-2007, 12:13 AM
I like your eye.. I'm pretty sure Marvin Austin is athletic enough to play in any scheme though. Simi Fili is definitely a monster. One of the strongest kids I have even known. I met him at a football camp about two summers ago and he's just a beast!

:) Thanks. I need to get out and do more than watch college and pro football.

Mr. Stiller
11-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Out of Boo Robinson, Phillip Taylor, and Terrence Taylor...which would rank highest?

Phillip Taylor strikes me as one of those Ngata/Wilfork guys who could play any position on the 3-4 DL.

I think it's too early to make that kind of call especially with Taylor having 1 more season and the others atleast 2.

Right now I take Terrence.. because he's the most polished.. but Phil and Boo could push to change my mind with some more time.

Crow
11-09-2007, 12:27 AM
*snickers at the idea of Okam or Ellis playing nose in a 34*

Mr. Stiller
11-09-2007, 01:16 AM
*snickers at the idea of Okam or Ellis playing nose in a 34*

I think Ellis could do it.. I don't think it'd be his best fit per-se, but he could be a dominant force inside a 3-4 with his athleticism.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-09-2007, 01:25 AM
I think Ellis could do it.. I don't think it'd be his best fit per-se, but he could be a dominant force inside a 3-4 with his athleticism.

I guess it depends on the sort of 34 defense, but I've always seen Ellis look most comfortable when given free reign to chase the passer, and putting him in a role where he'd have to gain a considerable amount of weight and would limit him to clogging holes seems like a bit like reaching for a nose tackle.

SenorGato
11-09-2007, 02:31 AM
I guess it depends on the sort of 34 defense, but I've always seen Ellis look most comfortable when given free reign to chase the passer, and putting him in a role where he'd have to gain a considerable amount of weight and would limit him to clogging holes seems like a bit like reaching for a nose tackle.

If you want to see Ellis in a 3-4, look no further than Dwayne Robertson, a very mediocre NT.

Mr. Stiller
11-09-2007, 02:36 AM
If you want to see Ellis in a 3-4, look no further than Dwayne Robertson, a very mediocre NT.

I think Robertson is more like Dorsey.. Ellis can hold his own against 1-2 OL from what I've seen thus far this season.

SenorGato
11-09-2007, 02:44 AM
I think Robertson is more like Dorsey.. Ellis can hold his own against 1-2 OL from what I've seen thus far this season.

True. Ellis has actually handled the NT position, even if it was just at college level.

Plus, I think he's way stronger than Dwayne was coming out...hell he's probably stronger than DRob is now.

Mr. Stiller
11-09-2007, 03:20 AM
True. Ellis has actually handled the NT position, even if it was just at college level.

Plus, I think he's way stronger than Dwayne was coming out...hell he's probably stronger than DRob is now.

Exactly.. I think he can do it. He's probably better "suited" for a 4-3 NT or UT position, but I think he could play 3-4 NT and do it at a high level.

Crow
11-10-2007, 02:16 AM
He'd officially be the smallest 34 NT in 20 years or more. I just can't see it.

Mr. Stiller
11-10-2007, 11:30 AM
He'd officially be the smallest 34 NT in 20 years or more. I just can't see it.

He's 6'1 315 right now.. Hampton is 6' 0 3/8" and 330. Came out at 305.

SenorGato
11-10-2007, 11:31 AM
He's 6'1 315 right now.. Hampton is 6' 0 3/8" and 330. Came out at 305.

Hampton came out at 325.

Big_Pete
11-26-2007, 08:23 PM
What about Trevor Laws as a possible NT?

I know he is playing DE for Notre Dame right now, but he is a three time all american heavyweight wrestler. So he should have ample strength, have very good leverage and use his hands well.

Scott has him listed at 6-1, 295, 5.00

He has enough size for his height, and could probably add a little size without hurting his speed and athleticism.

[for the record Dallas has Jay Ratliff (6'4",305) and Tank Johnson (6'3", 300) at NT]

FinChase
11-26-2007, 08:38 PM
Red Bryant, Texas A&M

Ward
11-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Red Bryant, Texas A&M

Winner! He's my fav NT prospect currently.

bored of education
11-26-2007, 08:44 PM
I like him alot. he is a frigging truck

dabears10
11-26-2007, 11:02 PM

I know he is playing DE for Notre Dame right now, but he is a three time all american heavyweight wrestler. So he should have ample strength, have very good leverage and use his hands well.

He has enough size for his height, and could probably add a little size without hurting his speed and athleticism.

[for the record Dallas has Jay Ratliff (6'4",305) and Tank Johnson (6'3", 300) at NT]

He can play nose tackle, but his skills are better suited for 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT. He has played some NT for ND this year, mostly on passing downs, and has excelled. However, he is an absolute force at 3-4 DE and I believe would be best for that in the pro's.

rainbeaukid2
11-26-2007, 11:47 PM
who are the major names for this year that the niners can look at cuz they definitely need some help with their dline?

nobodyinparticular
11-26-2007, 11:59 PM

As a wrestler, like you said, he likely has very good leverage and use of hands. However, at 295 lbs, that is not even close to the amount of bulk you want to have from a 3-4 NT. You want at least 320 lbs in a NT if not 330 lbs. Looking at the best 3-4 NTs in the game, Pitt NT Casey Hampton is 6-1 325 lbs, SD NT Jamal Williams is 6-3 348 lbs and NE NT Vince Wilfork is listed at 6-2 625 lbs. Looking at Hampton, he's like closer to 335lbs than 325 too. It's not just a matter of leverage, but a need to just to have mass out there to go along with the leverage and technique. At 295 lbs, he's right around 3-4 DE size.

D-Unit
11-27-2007, 12:42 AM
Laws would be a good 4-3 DT as well. He's guy I've kept my eye on as a possible 4th rounder. Is that too low? My guess is probably. He is a major tackling machine.

BroadwayJoe10
11-27-2007, 12:43 AM
I havn't seen enough of Red Bryant to really see what type of leverage he plays with and his hand work, but isn't 6'5 a little too tall? Normally I would think so, but I havn't seen him play enough to say so. What are the things that people like about him?

draftguru151
11-27-2007, 09:08 AM
I think it would be an awful decision to put him at nose.

mikedoobie
11-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Kelly gregg is 6'0 310lbs and is and has been an extremely good NT for the ravens for a good 6 years..Ellis is a player i could think may be able to be a good NT in a certain 3-4 scheme

BucSappy
11-27-2007, 12:01 PM
I think Frank Morton is a quality NT mid round prospect.

Big_Pete
11-29-2007, 02:16 AM
what about NT Richard Clebert, South Florida?

he is listed at 6-0, 312 and probably has around a 5.25 40 time

He reportedly can bench-press 540 lbs and also bench-press 225 pounds for 43 reps

He has been very producive this season: in his 12 games this season he has 32 tackles (17 solo, 15 assist), 8.0 TFL (25 yards), 2.0 sacks (13 yards), 15 QBH, 1 FF, 1 Safety

Noone is talking about him at all, but he could be a very good day 2 pick for a
3-4 team.

Is Clebert a major factor in Ben Moffit having such a good season??

Big_Pete
11-29-2007, 02:23 AM
NE NT Vince Wilfork is listed at 6-2 625 lbs.

I think you may have his weight a little wrong.....

In any event all college linemen usually need to get bigger and stonger in the NFL. (or they need to lose weight/get into shape and get stronger)

People get overly focussed on size for NTs; while that certainly does help. Stength, speed, leverage and technique can be just as (if not more) important.

Don't underestimate the importance of a lower centre of gravity either, it makes players much harder to block.

Many NFL centres (and Guards) are 295 - 305 lbs?

I wouldn't be surprised if Laws could add 20lbs or so of muscle before the combine without losing any speed or athleticism.

SenorGato
11-29-2007, 02:06 PM
what about NT Richard Clebert, South Florida?

he is listed at 6-0, 312 and probably has around a 5.25 40 time

He reportedly can bench-press 540 lbs and also bench-press 225 pounds for 43 reps

He has been very producive this season: in his 12 games this season he has 32 tackles (17 solo, 15 assist), 8.0 TFL (25 yards), 2.0 sacks (13 yards), 15 QBH, 1 FF, 1 Safety

Noone is talking about him at all, but he could be a very good day 2 pick for a
3-4 team.

Is Clebert a major factor in Ben Moffit having such a good season??

Someone pointed him out on another forum and I decided to pay close attention to Clebert.

He was pushed around like a ragdoll against WVU and Rutgers. He even tripped over himself once.

Maybe I just caught him in an off week, but he didn't impress me much at all.

genom
11-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Someone pointed him out on another forum and I decided to pay close attention to Clebert.

He was pushed around like a ragdoll against WVU and Rutgers. He even tripped over himself once.

Maybe I just caught him in an off week, but he didn't impress me much at all.

I don't think Clebert is bad, but he looked to get very tired from the times i've seen him. Also, he may have the body type for a 3-4 NT but I don't think he plays like it. He doesn't get enough leverage, and when i've seen him he looks to explode into the back field rather than hold up blocks, even when its a running play. Perhaps this can be coached at the next level if he were to be drafted by a 3-4 team.

BroadwayJoe10
12-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Has anybody heard BJ raji actually say that he won't be entering this years draft? I know they gave him an academic redshirt, but with Matt Ryan, Gosder Cherilus, DeJuan Tribble and the other seniors leaving BC won't be the contender they are this year. If Raji handed in his papers in order to see where he would be drafted I think he would realize he is a definate day 1 pick, especially with a 3-4 team reaching early for him. I just am not 100% convinced that he will be staying for his 5th year. I mean he isn't getting any younger, teams know what hes capable of and the threat of injury is always possible especially for a 5th year senior.

Mr. Stiller
12-01-2007, 08:20 PM
Has anybody heard BJ raji actually say that he won't be entering this years draft? I know they gave him an academic redshirt, but with Matt Ryan, Gosder Cherilus, DeJuan Tribble and the other seniors leaving BC won't be the contender they are this year. If Raji handed in his papers in order to see where he would be drafted I think he would realize he is a definate day 1 pick, especially with a 3-4 team reaching early for him. I just am not 100% convinced that he will be staying for his 5th year. I mean he isn't getting any younger, teams know what hes capable of and the threat of injury is always possible especially for a 5th year senior.

I doubt After a year of not playing that Raji is a day 1 lock. If anything I could see round 4-5 at best.

Was he allowed working out with the team or was he banned from all team activities.

BroadwayJoe10
12-07-2007, 04:39 PM
I doubt After a year of not playing that Raji is a day 1 lock. If anything I could see round 4-5 at best.

Was he allowed working out with the team or was he banned from all team activities.

That's true, but I wouldn't put it past a 3-4 team in desperate need of a NT to take him earlier than expected. I still am eager to see if he comes out or not. And i was wondering if there was any presedence for this; has any other player taken a redshirt for their senior year and then enter the nfl draft?

Tampa 2 4 life
12-09-2007, 09:35 AM
I don't think Clebert is bad, but he looked to get very tired from the times i've seen him. Also, he may have the body type for a 3-4 NT but I don't think he plays like it. He doesn't get enough leverage, and when i've seen him he looks to explode into the back field rather than hold up blocks, even when its a running play. Perhaps this can be coached at the next level if he were to be drafted by a 3-4 team.

Once he gets into an NFL weight room where he can work on his legs he'll be fine. Stamina will be a problem though.