PDA

View Full Version : Maualuga and Cushing to stay for senior year

soybean
11-07-2007, 05:30 PM
per espn radio. No link yet.

EDIT: http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/11/07/cushing-maualuga-to-stay-in-school/
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Nov/07/br/br0914527386.html

Babylon
11-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Saw that today on the Trojan board, probably a good move for both, Rey Rey needs to get his act together and play more like he did last year, his numbers are good this year but he needs to cover better and keep his nose clean. I was suprised Cush is coming back, with the injury causing him to miss time this year i thought he would want to leave. I think it's safe to say he would be in someones top 10 for the 09 draft(he's in mine i know that).

Don Vito
11-07-2007, 06:00 PM
It's a good move for them but LB, but I hate seeing because LB is a need for my favorite team and this just makes a strong class a weaker. There is still a lot of talent though, many good LBs will be available come April.

11-07-2007, 06:06 PM
too bad i wanted maualuga to come out..i guess another year will help him put together a solid complete season this time. should be a first rounder come the '09 draft.

badgerbacker
11-07-2007, 06:08 PM
It's still really early. I'm not saying either of them are lying, but people have come out before after claiming they were staying.

P-L
11-07-2007, 06:08 PM
It's ridiculously early. I'd never trust anything a prospect says this early. Granted, I expect that they both stay anyway. However, this doesn't mean there is no chance either come out.

Babylon
11-07-2007, 06:09 PM
It's a good move for them but LB, but I hate seeing because LB is a need for my favorite team and this just makes a strong class a weaker. There is still a lot of talent though, many good LBs will be available come April.

I doubt either would have been going to the Pats but certainly would have added depth to the draft. Cushing is an outside guy and i think NE would probably like to eventually move Thomas out there and Mauluuga isnt very good in pass coverage, something the Pats wouldnt go for.

etk
11-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Didn't Vince Young say he was coming back...and a week later declared for the draft?

A lot of things factor into this kind of decision. There's no way they can make up their minds this fast, so expect them to reconsider. It's not a done deal.

BaLLiN
11-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Didn't Vince Young say he was coming back...and a week later declared for the draft?

A lot of things factor into this kind of decision. There's no way they can make up their minds this fast, so expect them to reconsider. It's not a done deal.

Well after singlehandedly winning the BCS Championship against a team that was considered to be in the top 10 or 15 teams in NCAA history, i think you'd declare, its hard to top that.

soybean
11-07-2007, 10:17 PM
Well after singlehandedly winning the BCS Championship against a team that was considered to be in the top 10 or 15 teams in NCAA history, i think you'd declare, its hard to top that.

yeah, plus he was a guarantee top 10 pick.

both maualuga and cushing aren't even guaranteed first rounders.

toonsterwu
11-08-2007, 04:08 AM
As P-L noted, it is way too early to take a player at his word.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if this turned out to be the case (that both stayed). For all the hype, I'm not sure either one is a first round pick right now.

Hines
11-08-2007, 06:46 AM
i think that rey will come out, but cushing will stay...i believe rey will figure out taht he will be a first round talent and would leave early to get his money

WMD
11-08-2007, 06:57 AM
I don't buy it.. at this point in the year; pretty much every junior is staying for their senior year.

Scott Wright
11-09-2007, 03:43 AM
That's what they ALL say this time of the year!

For those two it would be a good decision though.

Don Vito
11-09-2007, 04:18 AM
I doubt either would have been going to the Pats but certainly would have added depth to the draft. Cushing is an outside guy and i think NE would probably like to eventually move Thomas out there and Mauluuga isnt very good in pass coverage, something the Pats wouldnt go for.

I meant that with the more talented LBs available in the draft, the better chance you have at getting a higher caliber player later in the draft.

BucSappy
11-09-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm not buying this just yet. They are in school together. Once they play their bowl game, scouts will start talking to Rey. Then he starts thinking about money. He might stay in school, but I'm not buying it.

thebow305
11-09-2007, 08:52 PM
It's still really early. I'm not saying either of them are lying, but people have come out before after claiming they were staying.

Lawrence Timmons did it.

I saw this coming for Cushing, especially after that injury. Not from Rey though!

art vandelay
11-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Is Lawrence Timmons still at FSU?

Way too early to take their word.

bruschis4all
11-10-2007, 06:43 AM
Something else to factor in with the SC guys. What is the NCAA going to do about the Bush shenanigans? A heavy handed punishment or Carroll departure(I don't see it but SD maybe) could change their minds. I wouldn't put them on my 08 depth chart yet if I'm USC.

Babylon
11-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Something else to factor in with the SC guys. What is the NCAA going to do about the Bush shenanigans? A heavy handed punishment or Carroll departure(I don't see it but SD maybe) could change their minds. I wouldn't put them on my 08 depth chart yet if I'm USC.

Same here, thing is that investigation could drag on for awhile and the early entry deadline comes up first part of the year i believe. I dont know that Rey coming back would improve his draft stock, to me he's a late 1st early 2nd but his flaws are well documented and i dont see them changing. Cushing would probably fill the void of Connor and those guys and would probably go much higher next year, although i think somone would get a steal and take him later in round one.

soybean
01-11-2008, 12:36 PM
hopefully this means he'll stay but im not so sure.

Staying in school: Trip to Eureka brings clarity for Maualuga
Sean Quincey/The Times-Standard
Article Launched: 01/10/2008 01:24:22 AM PST

After the Rose Bowl, Rey Maualuga sounded like a man whose mind was made up; he was going back to USC for his senior year instead of opting for the NFL draft.

Then he was surrounded by an air of uncertainty when he told the Times-Standard last week he believed he was staying, “but that could change.”

He flew back home to Eureka over the weekend to visit family and discuss the matter with his mother.

And now it appears now that his mind is clear again. Maualuga will return to the Trojans.

”I'm just gonna stay. I'm not in a rush. I'm gonna take it slow,” said Maualuga, who played for Eureka High, class of 2005. “I just wanted to explore the thought of leaving.”

And he arrived back at the same thought he had before getting on the plane. The NFL will still be there next year, but the chance to claim a national championship won't.

”I've still got a lot of growing up to do on the football field,” Maualuga said. “I thought about it hard and prayed on it. The answer was right in front of my face on whether I wanted to take that step. Hopefully we can make a run at the national championship.”

It's a conviction Maualuga has about the decision.

After all, by the accounts of most NFL “experts,” he's rated as one of the top handful of linebackers in college and would likely be chosen in the first or second round of the draft, which takes place in April.
He's passing up millions by staying. Everyone, including Maualuga, knows that. In his mind, though, he's simply delaying payment in exchange for something priceless.

”If it's all about the money, it would be easy to make the decision,” he said. “There's something about playing the game because you like to play it. Plus, it's only a year away. It's not like I can't wait.”

This all amid speculation that USC head coach Pete Carroll is reportedly being courted by the NFL's Atlanta Falcons to take over the same job. For Maualuga, though, it's a moot point because, while he values Carroll tremendously, there is still much that USC has to offer.

”He's a good coach and will probably want to explore his options,” Maualuga said. “He's done so much in the NFL, but he'll probably only take the job if he takes full control of it.

”If he decides to go, I'll still stay at USC. They'll have the same system and I'm comfortable with everything there already.”

As intent as Maualuga seems on returning, he still has time to change his mind. The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the NFL draft is Tuesday.

http://www.times-standard.com/sports/ci_7930113

diabsoule
01-11-2008, 02:22 PM
It'd be a good decision for him to stay for his senior year. He's still a bit raw.

Thunder&Lightning
01-11-2008, 02:53 PM
this hurts the LB class a lil but USC is going to be stacked next year and now this just gives them more talent for there road to the national championship next year.

Turtlepower
01-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Cushing will be a top-5 pick next year if he stays healthy. I really can't knock him for anything else besides injuries. Maybe another negative is that he is too good to be on a football field. He could scare away the opposing offenses and thus ruin football games. =D

Seasonticketholder
01-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Malcolm Jenkins is also returning to Ohio State per ESPN and the Buckeyes website.