PDA

View Full Version : Head Coaches that will lose their job?

49ersfan_87
11-07-2007, 09:23 PM
What are some Head Coaches that you think will lose their job, and why? Some of my picks..

High probability firings

Marvin Lewis, Bengals

He came from Baltimore having been DC for one of the best defenses of all time. Unfortunately the Bengals defense has been anything but good. Their D continues to be terrible year after year. He's gone for sure in my book.

Brian Billick, Ravens

Opposite of Lewis, he came to Baltimore having been OC for one of the best offenses of all time in Minnesota. His offense has sputtered ever since he came to Baltimore. He took over the reins of play-calling from Jim Fassel last year and he has made some questionable decisions with his play-calling, as well as starting the obviously washed-up Mcnair over a much better option in Boller. No way he stays next year.

Scott Linehan, Rams

The team has had a ton of injuries. Orlando Pace, Richie Incognito, Steven Jackson, and Marc Bulger have all missed tons of time, with Pace even being on IR. It's hard to win when you have so many injuries. That being said, fans are going to want changes to this team. Not to mention this is his 2nd year and his team has regressed, which doesn't speak well for him.

Coaches who might be fired

Mike Nolan, 49ers

He progressed his team from the 1st season to the 2nd season. He came into this year with high expectations. The team has been playing terrible however. Even in their 2 wins the 49ers played lackluster. Although first year OC Jim Hostler deserves a lot of the blame, this team is ultimately Nolan's responsibilty. He doesn't seem to have lost the locker room, but his team isn't producing and if they keep this up don't be surprised if owner John York cans him for an offensive coach.

Tom Coughlin, Giants

This is where it gets interesting. He has had a great first half where the giants have looked like one of the top teams in the NFL, let alone the NFC. But his teams have been known for 2nd half collapses. The giants last year were 6-2 and looked like a top NFC team, and then it came crashing down. They backed into the playoffs and lost in the 1st round to the eagles. Interesting to see if history repeats itself here.

Brad Childress, Vikings

I'm not a fan of childress at all. But this team is actually pretty solid. They lack an consistent edge rush which is quintessential to the cover 2 they run. That's obviously killing them. What's also killing them is the fact they decided to try out a few CFL-level QB's on their roster. My guess is it depends on how much Childress is willing to stick with Jackson and how he uses Adrian Peterson.

Norv Turner, Chargers

He took a team that lost 2 games last season and has already lost 4. He was supposed to help develop Rivers even further but Rivers has looked average all season save a couple of games such as @ Denver. If turner is smart and keeps feeding LT and gates the ball, and wins a playoff game, he might save his job for an extra year.

Those are the coaches i think that should be, or might be fired. Some popular candidates to replace them might be..

Jason Garrett, OC, Cowboys
Norm Chow, OC, Titans
Mike Singletary, Asst. HC, 49ers
Jim Schwartz, DC, Titans
Mike Martz, OC, Lions

Thoughts?

Vikes99ej
11-07-2007, 09:28 PM
1 game... our team is not that solid.

GB12
11-07-2007, 09:31 PM
I think that if the Vikings get to at least 6 wins it buys Childress another season.

Vikes99ej
11-07-2007, 10:24 PM
I think that if the Vikings get to at least 6 wins it buys Childress another season.

I knows it's true, but it's ****. I live in a state that continues to be content with mediocrity when it comes to sports.

Iamcanadian
11-07-2007, 10:53 PM
What are some Head Coaches that you think will lose their job, and why? Some of my picks..

High probability firings

Marvin Lewis, Bengals

He came from Baltimore having been DC for one of the best defenses of all time. Unfortunately the Bengals defense has been anything but good. Their D continues to be terrible year after year. He's gone for sure in my book.

Brian Billick, Ravens

Opposite of Lewis, he came to Baltimore having been OC for one of the best offenses of all time in Minnesota. His offense has sputtered ever since he came to Baltimore. He took over the reins of play-calling from Jim Fassel last year and he has made some questionable decisions with his play-calling, as well as starting the obviously washed-up Mcnair over a much better option in Boller. No way he stays next year.

Scott Linehan, Rams

The team has had a ton of injuries. Orlando Pace, Richie Incognito, Steven Jackson, and Marc Bulger have all missed tons of time, with Pace even being on IR. It's hard to win when you have so many injuries. That being said, fans are going to want changes to this team. Not to mention this is his 2nd year and his team has regressed, which doesn't speak well for him.

Coaches who might be fired

Mike Nolan, 49ers

He progressed his team from the 1st season to the 2nd season. He came into this year with high expectations. The team has been playing terrible however. Even in their 2 wins the 49ers played lackluster. Although first year OC Jim Hostler deserves a lot of the blame, this team is ultimately Nolan's responsibilty. He doesn't seem to have lost the locker room, but his team isn't producing and if they keep this up don't be surprised if owner John York cans him for an offensive coach.

Tom Coughlin, Giants

This is where it gets interesting. He has had a great first half where the giants have looked like one of the top teams in the NFL, let alone the NFC. But his teams have been known for 2nd half collapses. The giants last year were 6-2 and looked like a top NFC team, and then it came crashing down. They backed into the playoffs and lost in the 1st round to the eagles. Interesting to see if history repeats itself here.

Brad Childress, Vikings

I'm not a fan of childress at all. But this team is actually pretty solid. They lack an consistent edge rush which is quintessential to the cover 2 they run. That's obviously killing them. What's also killing them is the fact they decided to try out a few CFL-level QB's on their roster. My guess is it depends on how much Childress is willing to stick with Jackson and how he uses Adrian Peterson.

Norv Turner, Chargers

He took a team that lost 2 games last season and has already lost 4. He was supposed to help develop Rivers even further but Rivers has looked average all season save a couple of games such as @ Denver. If turner is smart and keeps feeding LT and gates the ball, and wins a playoff game, he might save his job for an extra year.

Those are the coaches i think that should be, or might be fired. Some popular candidates to replace them might be..

Norm Chow, OC, Titans
Jim Schwartz, DC, Titans
Mike Martz, OC, Lions

Thoughts?

I think Lewis, Linehan, Nolan, Childress and Turner should be fired. Some may get 1 more year but I think it is 1 year too many. I could see all but Lewis and Lineham getting an extra year.
Nolan - I'd fire him, he's had his shot and probably convinced the team to draft Smith.
Childress - I don't like him but Jackson isn't the first NFL QB to have a terrible 1st season as a starter. They might give Childress 1 more year to prove whether or not He's right about Jackson developing.
Turner - ridiculous hire in the 1st place and it will only get worse if they don't fire him.
I believe Billick and Coughlin are safe for the time being.
Billick - has shown more than once that he can produce a winner if he has enough talent.
Coughlin - I thought he would be fired for sure after last year. I don't think the Giants will slip this year. Eli is much more experienced and Jones is a solid replacement for Barber. He's safe IMO.
I really like your list of perspective HC's. I might add Ron Rivera, Chicago's defense sure got a lot worse in a hurry after he left. Chow will probably face a lot of racism in advancing. It may also be interesting to see how many current HC's retire.

fenikz
11-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Russ Grimm could also be a possibility for a HC job, although it would kill my Cardinals

Smooth Criminal
11-07-2007, 10:59 PM
linehan and nolan will both be given more time. I think childress could buy another year aswell. Only ones I think for sure are gone are Lewis and Billick who have both been awful. I think everyone else has earned more time. Only other one i think is likely is Andy Reid.

angelsdontkill
11-07-2007, 11:06 PM
I pray Carolina finally rids of John Fox and Turdovac.

Poor coaching has ruined any and all talent on this team.

swagger
11-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Childress deserves to be fired. His decision-making when it comes to the quarterbacks on the roster has been atrocious... and the sad thing is, quarterbacks are supposed to be his specialty. He is awful at pretty much everything. It is very difficult to find positives with this guy.

Adrian Peterson might be saving his job. And he's doing it, by himself, with one of the worst passing games in the entire league. It's definitely not a reflection of Childress. If anything, Childress is making it more difficult on the kid by not putting together a competent passing game.

no love
11-08-2007, 12:08 AM
I would actually love for the Niners to pick up Martz and fix our offense. We are currently running a version of the Air Coryell so it would be a nice fit for continuity sake. Plus he could have a shot to get back at the Rams twice a year.

He would come into a situation to fix an offense with a team with a solid defense. He has a great back, gifted te, and a couple of speedy wr's (lelie and hill) sitting on the bench - favored by slow possession receivers who can't catch the ball.

yourfavestoner
11-08-2007, 01:10 AM
I think Del Rio will get fired if the Jags don't make the playoffs.

I would actually love for the Niners to pick up Martz and fix our offense. We are currently running a version of the Air Coryell so it would be a nice fit for continuity sake. Plus he could have a shot to get back at the Rams twice a year.

He would come into a situation to fix an offense with a team with a solid defense. He has a great back, gifted te, and a couple of speedy wr's (lelie and hill) sitting on the bench - favored by slow possession receivers who can't catch the ball.

LOL. If you think there's anything similar with the Niners' offensive system and Martz's then you're kidding yourself. Every single offense in the NFL runs either a "version" of the Air Coryell or the West Coast Offense.

Mike Martz is a bona fide offensive guru. Jeff Hostler is an unqualified, first year offensive coordinator. Their offenses share no similarity whatsoever.

brat316
11-08-2007, 05:49 AM
i think Mike Nolan ends up staying a year, as does Lewis injuries to the D thats why.

Norv should fire him, but they don't want to look stupid, by hiring a coach for only 1 year so they give him another year.

Brad and Bilick are in the same boat, 50/50 chance of getting fired, Billick has the D, brad has Peterson.

Coughlin screws up and they just fire his ass, as should Norv be fired, Scott L goes back to what he knew offensive coordinator for the....49ers.

Bill Cowher comes back and takes over a NFC team and makes them into a power running team, and kills all in the NFC.

Jack-del Rio, realizes he needs competent WR and so decides to give the ball to MJD.

Anyone see Jon Fox getting canned, every year they are a SuperBowl team or playoff team, and then well it goes downhill.

keylime_5
11-08-2007, 09:03 AM
IMO John Fox is gone for sure barring a big run in the second half. Jeff Fischer should be coach of the year, but both his coordinators might be head coaches this time next year.

bearsfan_51
11-08-2007, 09:11 AM
I knows it's true, but it's ****. I live in a state that continues to be content with mediocrity when it comes to sports.

I don't think the state of Minnesota has much to do with it, unless you're implying that Governor Pawlenty has control over coach hirings.

Jughead10
11-08-2007, 09:44 AM
I think Coughlin stays. I obviously don't predict a breakdown like last year, but regardless Jerry Reese has come out and supported Coughlin in the media which Ernie Accorsi never did. Also it seems from his new book that Ernie and Tom never really saw eye to eye, and Accorsi was the one who probably wanted him out.

bsaza2358
11-08-2007, 10:26 AM
There's no real reason for Childress to get fired yet. He took over a team with a decent D, no QB, no legit offense, and not a ton of hope, and he has built it up into a team that is performing well and playing hard. He has a star in ADP, and his WR's are coming along. The D is helping to carry the team, and that's good. If Childress can get one of his QB's to step forward or can trade for a QB to run his offense, you'll see what he can do as a coach. I think the Vikings are better now than they were 2 years ago, which is why he should stay.

sodar21
11-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Marvin Lewis? Really?

bsaza2358
11-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Lewis an absolute no-brainer. I don't think the team has played to its talent much under his guidance, and the disciplinary issues have to fall at least partially with ML. I could see a Bill Cowher return there. That would be sick...

no love
11-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Lewis an absolute no-brainer. I don't think the team has played to its talent much under his guidance, and the disciplinary issues have to fall at least partially with ML. I could see a Bill Cowher return there. That would be sick...

Not to mention, for the guy who is given a lot of credit for the defensive play in Balt during their superbowl year his defense has been horrendous. You would think for a defensive guy they would be able to slow down JP Losman of all people.

One thing I don't get about the whole system in Cinn is the whole no-huddle offense. They have a very up-tempo offense but for their terrible defenses sake, they should be running down the clock ala Manning.

bsaza2358
11-08-2007, 12:44 PM
That is a good point. I'm not certain what the strategy really is there. With all of the injuries at LB, it would behoove the Bengals to make these clock management adjusments. Bravo.

bigbluedefense
11-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Marvin Lewis and Brian Billick have got to go in my eyes. Both frauds if you ask me. Both are "gurus" at their respective side of the ball, and both haven't done jack since having all world talent's to hang their hats on.

Ravens1991
11-08-2007, 02:07 PM
get Billick out of here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shiver
11-08-2007, 02:36 PM
John Fox
Marvin Lewis
Brian Billick
Norv Turner

Those are the four that need to go.

Cashmoney
11-08-2007, 03:09 PM
i highly doubt either of the titans two coordinators getting a head coaching job, and im not totally sure either of them deserve to be mentioned.

ShutDwn
11-08-2007, 03:36 PM
http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2007/11/04/21/76-PANTHERS_TITANS_48.slideshow_main.prod_affiliate.5 7.JPG

Reason enough for Fox to be fired.

We have lost our last 5 home games since last year by almost 100 points.

diabsoule
11-08-2007, 03:37 PM
John Fox
Marvin Lewis
Brian Billick
Norv Turner

Those are the four that need to go.

Those are the four that need to go and will probably go in my opinion.

Stash
11-08-2007, 03:41 PM
If Fox gets fired, maybe Cowher takes over. Doesn't he live in Carolina?

cowboysforever
11-08-2007, 03:43 PM

Norm Chow, OC, Titans
Jim Schwartz, DC, Titans
Mike Martz, OC, Lions

Thoughts?

How can you not include the Pats OC and DC??

GB12
11-08-2007, 03:43 PM
If Fox gets fired, maybe Cowher takes over. Doesn't he live in Carolina?
Cowher to Carolina has been a rumor since he retired.

Brodeur
11-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Only other one i think is likely is Andy Reid.

I also think Captain Drug Emporium should be gone.

SchizophrenicBatman
11-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Marty Schottenheimer lives closer to Charlotte than Cowher does

either way I dont see Fox getting fired. Richardson is just as blindly loyal to his staff as Fox is with respect to his players

Smooth Criminal
11-08-2007, 03:55 PM
I also think Captain Drug Emporium should be gone.

I can't believe he isn't getting more of a mention in this thread. I think he'll resign before he gets fired but either way he won't be the coach next season.

AkiliSmith
11-08-2007, 04:46 PM
While I'm upset with what Marvin Lewis has done so far this season, this is by far the worst season he has ever had here. The owner Mike Brown was loyal to all the coaches in the 90's when they were only winning 2-3 games every season, so there is no way he dumps Marvin 2 seasons removed from the playoffs.

Also I think I read that they have lost something like 16 starters for at least 1 game this season. Not to mention about 10 backups and the Thurrman/Henry suspensions. That's just a ridiculous amount of lost players.

bigbluedefense
11-08-2007, 05:12 PM
My main beef with Lewis is that he has absolutely no direction with his defense. He's just mixing and matching parts, and his defense stinks because of it. Pick a scheme, draft players for that scheme, and rebuild.

Don't get a run thumper MIKE, and then draft a Cover 2 CB etc. He has no direction with his defense.

JK17
11-08-2007, 05:14 PM
At this point I'm wondering not if Norv will go, but who takes over. Rivera's been a strong HC candidate, and he's our LB coach right now. The rumor I heard when he became LB coach was that it was to get him experience in the 3-4, and he could be HC in a backup plan if Norv failed. That could be a possibility...but who knows.

Geo
11-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Re: Cowher, I'm steadfast in my saying that he'll be coaching the Washington Redskins next year (I'll be surprised if he and Snyder haven't already got general contract details worked out), to take over for the departing Joe Gibbs. And the Redskins will be a much better team and more serious contender for it, I would add.

Shiver
11-08-2007, 05:50 PM
At this point I'm wondering not if Norv will go, but who takes over. Rivera's been a strong HC candidate, and he's our LB coach right now. The rumor I heard when he became LB coach was that it was to get him experience in the 3-4, and he could be HC in a backup plan if Norv failed. That could be a possibility...but who knows.

While that offense is still in tact I think they need to make a move for a proven winner. I've suggested in the past that Bill Cowher (more so than Carolina, Cinncinnati, or Washington) would be perfect for San Diego.

Ewing
11-08-2007, 05:57 PM
If the Dolphins go 0-16 then Cameron needs to be fired. I don't care if it's first season. It's inexcusable to go winless in the NFL.

Shiver
11-08-2007, 05:59 PM
If the Dolphins go 0-16 then Cameron needs to be fired. I don't care if it's first season. It's unexcusable to go winless in the NFL, take Ted Ginn Jr. with the 9th pick, giving Joey Porter a massive contract.

Just thought I would like to add a few things.

scottyboy
11-08-2007, 06:00 PM
coughlin should get fired cuz lyke the giants are awful with lyke no left tackle or running game and they're gonna have a top 5 pick fo' sho LOLZ

Ewing
11-08-2007, 06:00 PM
i highly doubt either of the titans two coordinators getting a head coaching job, and im not totally sure either of them deserve to be mentioned.

Good, I don't want either to leave.

Ewing
11-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Just thought I would like to add a few things.

Who do you think pushed for Ginn to be drafted with the ninth pick? Cam has a mancrush on him.

EDIT: I read your post wrong. I thought you meant that was an excuse for the poor start.

Geo
11-08-2007, 06:01 PM
I hope the Pete Carroll in San Diego mulling proves true. Nothing better than to see AFC rivals like Baltimore and San Diego continue to cripple themselves from serious championship contention with their head coaches. Keep the winless playoff streaks alive, pls.

Thankfully Bill Cowher is no longer in Pittsburgh. That's a talented squad they have.

Also, re: Marvin Lewis, he needs a general manager more than anything imo. And more money to be invested in their scouting department.

brat316
11-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Kind of Funny, Lewis was really good at D, as a head coach he was amazing at the offense, but sucks at D. Same use to hold true of Dungy, but he fixed his D.

Billick used to be amazing as a O-coordinator. Now his D is amazing, yet the offense just plain sucks. who else

Geo
11-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Re: Cam Cameron and the questionable decisions the Dolphins have made: no blame for general manager Randy Mueller? Mueller's the GM, he passed the okay on every decision made.

At least Cameron is a rookie head coach, Mueller has experience in the league. Granted, two year's worth of GM experience at New Orleans (2000-2001) until he got canned and worked for ESPN from 2002-2005.

That is until Nick Saban hired him in 2005, except Mueller didn't have final say on player personnel. Saban had final say on all roster moves.

Yet now we're blaming Cameron for inheriting a team with an old defense, an offense in need of rebuilding (hence the hire), and the work of the general manager.

That sure makes sense.

Ewing
11-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Yet now we're blaming Cameron for inheriting a team with an old defense, an offense in need of rebuilding (hence the hire), and the work of the general manager.

That sure makes sense.

We're blaming him for the drafting of Ted Ginn and having a team without a win. I'm sorry but if you can't win one game you don't deserve to be a coach in the NFL.

GB12
11-08-2007, 06:21 PM
coughlin should get fired cuz lyke the giants are awful with lyke no left tackle or running game and they're gonna have a top 5 pick fo' sho LOLZ
I don't understand why people do this. It just makes you look dumb.

Geo
11-08-2007, 06:21 PM
The Dolphins are arguably the worst team in the league. Losing the veteran quarterback Trent Green hurt (which wasn't the fault of Cameron at all), but then Green was turning the ball over too much anyways. So having the worst record in the league isn't all that surprising.

As for Ginn, the team needs another playmaker on offense other than Ronnie Brown in the worst way. If Cameron can get Ginn to live up to his potential with his God-given talent (give it three years, he's a wide receiver for crying out loud), then it's a good pick. Heck, we just saw Ginn give the Dolphins their only touchdown in a 13-10 loss to the Giants, on a horrible field in Wembley Stadium.

Same deal with John Beck too, although the 'phins need to start Beck soon. I wouldn't waste valuable time. Then again, we're not seeing what Cameron is seeing every day in practice.

GB12
11-08-2007, 06:25 PM
The Dolphins are arguably the worst team in the league. Losing the veteran quarterback Trent Green hurt (which wasn't the fault of Cameron at all), but then Green was turning the ball over too much anyways. So having the worst record in the league isn't all that surprising.

As for Ginn, the team needs another playmaker on offense other than Ronnie Brown in the worst way. If Cameron can get Ginn to live up to his potential with his God-given talent (give it three years, he's a wide receiver for crying out loud), then it's a good pick. Heck, we just saw Ginn give the Dolphins their only touchdown in a 13-10 loss to the Giants, on a horrible field in Wembley Stadium.

Same deal with John Beck too, although the 'phins need to start Beck soon. I wouldn't waste valuable time. Then again, we're not seeing what Cameron is seeing every day in practice.
Especially since he's already 26. There is no reason not to have him in.

Scotty D
11-08-2007, 06:27 PM
I don't understand why people do this. It just makes you look dumb.

He can't help it.

Ewing

If they win a game I'll keep him around but there's no way I'd keep him around if he went 0-16. He would have to go undefeated in 2008 just to get to .500 for crying out loud. There's no doubt the Dolphins have a crappy team but if the Raiders from last year could win two games then any team can win at least one game.

JK17
While that offense is still in tact I think they need to make a move for a proven winner. I've suggested in the past that Bill Cowher (more so than Carolina, Cinncinnati, or Washington) would be perfect for San Diego.

Yeah, it was just something I've heard. I'd love for Cowher, I just don't think he would coach in San Diego, being as, at least he says he wants to remain close to his family...

But hell, I'd kill to get Cowher, your right, I think he would be perfect.

Scotty D
11-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Especially since he's already 26. There is no reason not to have him in.

Ugh if anything I see his old age as a plus. He is going to hit free agency later and have less of a pay day due to his age.

brat316
11-08-2007, 06:29 PM
power run with the 3-4, but i don't want to see him to to a AFC team, why not a NFC as a power run team, that dominates on D.

swagger
11-14-2007, 03:20 PM
There's no real reason for Childress to get fired yet. He took over a team with a decent D, no QB, no legit offense, and not a ton of hope, and he has built it up into a team that is performing well and playing hard. He has a star in ADP, and his WR's are coming along. The D is helping to carry the team, and that's good. If Childress can get one of his QB's to step forward or can trade for a QB to run his offense, you'll see what he can do as a coach. I think the Vikings are better now than they were 2 years ago, which is why he should stay.Really?

There's literally no single reason to keep him around.

bsaza2358
11-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Swagger, you lack patience. Give the man another year to turn this thing around. Think about where Minnesota was when he took over and think about where they are now. I believe they are close to a major playoff run.

swagger
11-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Swagger, you lack patience. Give the man another year to turn this thing around. Think about where Minnesota was when he took over and think about where they are now. I believe they are close to a major playoff run.One of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. Lack patience? The guy is terrible at everything. Patience is not going to cure being incompetent at every facet of coaching.

When Childress took over the Vikings, Mike Tice had just finished 3 seasons at 9-7, 8-8, and 9-7, respectively. And this was under tightwad, penny-pinching ownership. What were you saying about when Childress took over?

Are you related to Childress, or something?

Geo
11-14-2007, 06:54 PM
I'm not sure I would label Brad Childress as a bad head coach, but I'm probably more sure I wouldn't label him as good head coach. I hope that makes sense to everyone. I guess you could say Childress is JAG in the coaching ranks.

Should he get the axe after only two seasons? I tend to think two seasons isn't a fair amount of time, but there are supporting examples (take your pick of Raiders head coaches post-Gruden/pre-Kiffin).

And who to replace him? Two guys who come immediately to mind, right or wrong, are Russ Grimm and Brian Schottenheimer. I'm sure Jason Garrett's name will come up also, given the success of the Dallas Cowboys offense. I wouldn't rule out the elder Schottenheimer in Marty, he's a great (regular season) head coach and a proven winner, if age permits him to keep coaching.

I also think Mike Singletary should be considered, as weird as it would be to see Samurai Mike coaching against the Bears twice a year. I think Singletary has the leadership potential (which maybe Childress lacks) to be a head coach.

swagger
11-14-2007, 07:10 PM
Anybody who isn't ready to label Brad Childress a bad head coach is probably pretty uneducated on the topic of Minnesota Vikings football.

crazyisme
11-14-2007, 11:08 PM
Ive been on the fence with chilly, telling people like swagger to be patient and get off him and lets see how he pans out

however, week in and week out this team continues to make the same mistakes in their game plan, he never learns and never adjusts, thats my biggest beef with him and i was hoping to see improvement from him in that regard this year, and it just hasn't happened....i had hope after the SD game, it looked like things had changed, our gameplan had adjusted, and i was thinking, maybe childress finally has it figured out, maybe childress made the right adjustments....then, the GB came, and we went back to everything that we did wrong and bailed on the things we improved upon in the SD game...that was the last straw for me...

childress must go!!!! i want the Schwartz in minnesota!

The Dynasty
11-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Swagger, you lack patience. Give the man another year to turn this thing around. Think about where Minnesota was when he took over and think about where they are now. I believe they are close to a major playoff run.

We will never be close to a playoff run unless we get a veteran QB in there. When i say Veteran i mean a guy who is around the age of 30 not 36 or 37. I like Tarvaris but he still is lost out there and he seems to get injuries every other week that are minor but force us to use Holcomb or Bollinger.

Then we still need help in Pass Defense.

Childress hasn't helped us at all.

osi+ap=allshallperish
11-14-2007, 11:51 PM
Last year the Giants collapsed due to injuries, tiki barber, Tim Lewis and the only co-ordinator in the history of football who was worse than Tim Lewis, I dare not speak his name for fear of angering the football gods.

Tiki's gone, Tim Lewis has been replaced by a competent young co-ordinator and our OC from last year has been replaced by a less terrible OC. So i don't think we'll collapse like last year.

Having said all that, I still think Coughlin's on the Hot Seat and I personally would rather we fire him and bring in one of the Ryans as HC, keep Spags as DC and replace Killdrive at OC.

osi+ap=allshallperish
11-15-2007, 12:04 AM
Kind of Funny, Lewis was really good at D, as a head coach he was amazing at the offense, but sucks at D. Same use to hold true of Dungy, but he fixed his D.

Billick used to be amazing as a O-coordinator. Now his D is amazing, yet the offense just plain sucks. who else

That's because those situations are teams that are great on one side of the ball and aweful on the other, so the tema hires a "guru" to instantly fix their weakness with his coaching when the talent is just not there.

Marvin Lewis is slowly assembling pieces, but the cincy scouting department is insufficient for them to actually build a contender.

Billick maybe a offensive genius, but the oline isn't playing very well, there isn't a competent QB on the roster, the WR aren't playing as well as they should be and McGahee isn't a back who'll win games for his team.

EvilMonkey
11-15-2007, 12:09 AM
too many people on here are making a stupid arguement about why many of these coaches shouldn't fired. Injuries and suspensions to players is not a reason to keep a coach. I can see keeping a GM for that reason but a coach's job is to take his players and get them to perform as best he can.

Marvin Lewis has done a terrible job coaching his players imo; the defense overall, CJ distractions that completely undermine his authority and he wont do anything about that crap, and all the criminal stuff.

Yet people think he should get another year because he didnt get a chance to do a terrible job coaching 15 guys who were hurt/suspended????

Let's bring you back so you can do a terrible job of coaching ALL our players....

themaninblack
11-15-2007, 08:13 AM
marvin isnt going anywhere and not because he shouldn't but because our owner will not eat his contract.

another thing people need to stop believing the whole espn induced CHAD JOHNSON problem in cincinnati. chad has never been in any trouble and is not undermining coach lewis at all.

bsaza2358
11-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Marvin Lewis is slowly assembling pieces, but the cincy scouting department is insufficient for them to actually build a contender.

After 4 years, your D should be getting better. I don't see players developing, and I don't see the D improving. In fact, I see a team-wide lack of discipline on the Bengals. It does not bode well.

EvilMonkey
11-15-2007, 11:37 AM
marvin isnt going anywhere and not because he shouldn't but because our owner will not eat his contract.

another thing people need to stop believing the whole espn induced CHAD JOHNSON problem in cincinnati. chad has never been in any trouble and is not undermining coach lewis at all.

yeah, when CJ and Lewis got into a fight at halftime once and Lewis does nothing to punish him and other times when Lewis says he doesnt want him to talk about the opposing CBs and that and CJ just keeps on doing it, that is no problem at all.

bsaza2358
11-15-2007, 12:12 PM
I think that the Bengals are not playing as a team. When that happens, especially with that much talent, it is the fault of everyone involved. Wholesale player changes are too costly and risky, so moving along with the coach is often the second-best solution. Lewis has not impressed me that much in his tenure. I think he is expendable.

Geo
11-15-2007, 12:55 PM
I don't buy that Dick LeBeau can't coach or that Marvin Lewis can't coach.

The two biggest problems with the Cincinnati Bengals imo are:

(1) they need a legit general manager
(2) they need to invest more money in an underfunded scouting department.

Both are correctable if the owner can pony up the cash. I'm not holding my breath though.

PS. To be fair, that had very bad luck with 2005 1st round pick David Pollack. He's a pass-rusher/linebacker they would love to have right now.

asmitty45
11-15-2007, 01:09 PM
What about Norm Chow? Am I the only one who thinks he should get a shot as a head coach? Probably.

BigDawg819
11-15-2007, 01:13 PM
The Billick firing rumors are mainly media driven as well as angry fan driven. He's a good and successful head coach but refuses to give up control of the offense which is definitely a detriment. Honestly the Ravens are their own victims since he's been here. They have had no real offensive identity and have placated themselves to be a defense oriented team. Even with 1st rounders on the offensive side of the ball, they don't surround themselves with enough talent on offense to be successful. Examples:

1. They select Kyle Boller in 2003 but refuse to get him a veteran QB to learn from until 2006 and rush his development and any legitimate chance at him becoming a franchise-esque QB.

2. They select Mark Clayton in 2005 and although he was the right pick, they never got him a true #1 WR to allow him to be successful as a #2. Instead they bring in Derrick Mason which he and Clayton are basically the same type of receiver.

3. Just look at the offensive line; JO, Jason Brown, Mike Flynn, Ben Grubbs, and Adam Terry. Thats a 1st Rounder, 4th Rounder, UDFA, 1st Rounder, and 2nd Rounder. JO is a perpetual injury concern, Brown is progressing nicely, Flynn is beyond past his prime, Grubbs is a rookie 1st Rounder, and Terry is a 2nd Rounder starting for the first time. The upgrade of Grubbs over Keydrick Vincent was a no brainer, but installing Terry over Tony Pashos has hurt this team. We had a top tier offensive line last year and they up and ripped it apart.

3. They trade and sign Willis McGahee to a big contract and he barely gets 20 touches a game?

4. They made Todd Heap a top tier paid TE and yet I believe 2004 was his last healthy season and coincidentally his last Pro Bowl appearance.

5. They refused to pull the trigger on a deal for Randy Moss, when Brian Billick knows his capabilities better then anyone in the league.

I could go on but its depressing. The Ravens, while decimated with injuries, are victims of their lack of depth and a quick aging defense. Thats not all on Billick. Not to mention this past offseason the owner mandated that he change his personality and its definitely taken a toll on how he runs the team. The brash, arrogant, and cocky Brian Billick of old would have this team playing much better whereas the new demure Billick has an average at best team. While I agree that come this offseason he has to step away from the offense side of the ball, I in know way endorse his firing. All that does is signal a rebuilding process and frankly I'm not sure the fanbase can handle it. All we have to do is get a new offensively philosophy on board, draft some playmakers, and get the "old" Coach back and come next year the Ravens will be a playoff caliber team again.

themaninblack
11-15-2007, 03:21 PM
yeah, when CJ and Lewis got into a fight at halftime once and Lewis does nothing to punish him and other times when Lewis says he doesnt want him to talk about the opposing CBs and that and CJ just keeps on doing it, that is no problem at all.

that fight was a rumor that was never confirmed at it wasnt even confirmed cj fought with marvin. from what i heard it was between players. marvin doesn't rly care if CJ does that kind of stuff about the CBs he doesnt like it but he doesnt ask him to stop and never has from what ive seen. if anything chads attitude helps this team in a lot of ways. hes not a problem in the likes of TO or Moss or Keyshawn. The problem with this team is a defense that lacks attitude and players getting into REAL trouble.

themaninblack
11-15-2007, 03:24 PM

Both are correctable if the owner can pony up the cash. I'm not holding my breath though.

PS. To be fair, that had very bad luck with 2005 1st round pick David Pollack. He's a pass-rusher/linebacker they would love to have right now.

This i do agree with. We dont rly have a GM and our scouting department is underfunded big time. not to say we haven't gotten a good amount of talent out of the draft, but we should be getting more impact defensive players. we have also been screwed with david pollack getting hurt and odell not only getting in trouble, but not being reinstated when he should be. Also ahmad brooks(our only impact defensive player) being hurt since week one doesnt help.

bsaza2358
11-16-2007, 09:58 AM

I agree with everything you said here. However, other coaches are having more success with less raw talent. At some point, you need to go a different direction.