PDA

View Full Version : Lombardi Finalists

draftguru151
11-08-2007, 08:26 AM
Finalists for the award were announced.

Jake Long, OL, Michigan
Glenn Dorsey, DL, LSU
James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State
Chris Long, DL, VirginiaSo who's the winner? Pretty good year for the award, the fact that Laurinaitis is on there bugs me though. Both Long's and Dorsey are definitely worthy of the award and an argument can be made for all three. I think I Michigan player is going to win for the 2nd year in a row, Woodley got it last year and Jake Long will this year.

keylime_5
11-08-2007, 09:00 AM
AJ Hawk won the Lombardi a couple years ago, JL is having a similar season though from a little different position at MLB instead of WLB, and has 5 sacks and a couple picks thus far, not to mention 85 tackles and being the leader of the best defense in the country doesn't hurt. They usually split the awards up, it should be:
Outland-J.Long
Lombardi-C.Long
Butkus-JL
Nagurski-Dorsey
Bednarik-JL or Long or Dorsey

...if they split them up. I think it's either C.Long or Laurinaitis

RyanLeaf#1
11-08-2007, 09:01 AM
I think Chris Long wins it.

RoyHall#1
11-08-2007, 09:21 AM
I voted Dorsey.

Geo
11-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Chris Long gets my vote. I'm disappointed George Selvie isn't a finalist.

draftguru151
11-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Chris Long gets my vote. I'm disappointed Georgie Selvie isn't a finalist.

That's kinda why it bugs me that Laurinaitis is on it. I don't think Selvie should have one it partly because he's a sophomore but he still deserved to be on the list.

Also now that I thought about it more I do think Chris Long is gonna get it. Jake will get the Outland so I doubt he gets both.

ironman4579
11-08-2007, 01:43 PM
I voted for Jake, but I don't think he'll win it. He hasn't given up a sack(although you were right 2 weeks ago Guru, if Mallett hadn't fallen forward he would have) or been flagged for a penalty all year.

Michigan
11-08-2007, 03:19 PM
(although you were right 2 weeks ago Guru, if Mallett hadn't fallen forward he would have)

If I'm right about the play you were referring to, that "close sack" was completely the fault of either the recievers or Mallet. Mallet held onto the ball way too long on that play and the DE got to him only after Long had already pushed him back on the speed rush.

It's a shame that Laurenaitis is a candidate over actual linemen like George Selvie and Vernon Gholston.

ironman4579
11-08-2007, 03:23 PM
If I'm right about the play you were referring to, that "close sack" was completely the fault of either the recievers or Mallet. Mallet held onto the ball way too long on that play and the DE got to him only after Long had already pushed him back on the speed rush.

It's a shame that Laurenaitis is a candidate over actual linemen like George Selvie and Vernon Gholston.

No question there, but when does Mallett ever really not hold onto the ball too long unless he's throwing one up to Manningham? I was just saying that Guru was right in the sense that it could have been a sack. Not saying it would have been Jake's fault though.

Shane P. Hallam
11-08-2007, 03:50 PM
That's kinda why it bugs me that Laurinaitis is on it. I don't think Selvie should have one it partly because he's a sophomore but he still deserved to be on the list.

Also now that I thought about it more I do think Chris Long is gonna get it. Jake will get the Outland so I doubt he gets both.

Eh, when you're being slightly mentioned for the Heisman as a D player, you'll be on all the finalist lists. Laurinaitis deserves to be on it.

Jake Long should win it, but Chris Long likely will.

OhioState
11-08-2007, 04:57 PM
James deserves it, he is having a monster season and is one of the best d playmakers in the nation.

ironman4579
11-08-2007, 05:58 PM
James deserves it, he is having a monster season and is one of the best d playmakers in the nation.

Really? I mean 85 tackles is good sure. But 7.5 TFL's, 5 sacks, 2 INT's, 1 FR and 3 BrUp's? I wouldn't really say that was a monster season. I'd say it was a good season, not a monster one. And he has alot of tackles, but those numbers don't really show me one of the best defensive playmakers in the nation. I could name at least 2 other linebackers just in the big 10 that have been bigger playmakers this year.

James Laurinaitis
85 tackles, 7.5 TFL's, 5 sacks, 2 INT's, 3 BrUp's, 1 FR

Dan Connor
105 tackles, 12.0 TFL's, 5 sacks, 1 INT, 7 BrUp's, 1 FR

Shawn Crable
67 tackles, 22.5 TFL's, 7.5 sacks, 1 BrUp, 1 FR, 3 FF's

Personally, I'd say the guy with more tackles, more TFL's, the same amount of sacks, 1 less INT, 4 more BrUp's, and the same amount of fumble recoveries, or the guy with over 3 times the TFL's, more sacks, 2 less INT's, 2 less BrUp's, the same amount of fumble recoveries and 3 more FF's have been bigger playmakers than Laurinaitis.

Michigan
11-08-2007, 06:15 PM

u'd have an argument for the Butkus or Nagurski, but that's a joke.

OhioState
11-08-2007, 06:35 PM
u'd have an argument for the Butkus or Nagurski, but that's a joke.

i can agree with that

Scotty D
11-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Mark May trashing everyone who didn't put Selvie up there right now.

draftguru151
11-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Mark May trashing everyone who didn't put Selvie up there right now.

I think Jessie Palmer was trashing it on ESPNU too.