PDA

View Full Version : 2007 NFL Draft, Redone

GB12
11-08-2007, 03:54 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=3098817&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

MaxV
11-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Call me a homer, but I think Tony Ugoh would've been a top 15 (maybe even top 10) pick, if teams knew he would play this good in this rookie season.

TimD
11-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Whose to say the Jets wouldn't move up to take Harris like they did in april?

Turtlepower
11-08-2007, 04:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=3098817&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

He barely changed the first round at all. I don't see the point for him even to write that article.

bigbluedefense
11-08-2007, 04:11 PM
yup, we'd take Aaron Ross all over again, no questions asked. Couldn't have asked for a better pick.

I still wouldn't mind Reggie Nelson though. But right here right now, Ross looks like the better pick.

Vikes99ej
11-08-2007, 04:11 PM
These things are so stupid and pointless. I remember one of these was made last year and Marcus McNeil was a top 10 pick.

ironman4579
11-08-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm not really sure how well he matched up the player(especially defensive players) with the system played. for example David Harris is much more suited to a 3-4 than a 4-3 IMO, and Marcus McCauley IMO would not be as good as a Cover 2 CB for the Lions.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-08-2007, 04:20 PM
If only we could redo things in life. Haha Dolphins you must live with Ted Gin Jr., no way back machine for you.

kmartin575
11-08-2007, 04:23 PM
These things are so stupid and pointless. I remember one of these was made last year and Marcus McNeil was a top 10 pick.

Why are they stupid? They just go to show how some of the picks have turned out so far.

d34ng3l021
11-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Pretty dumb article. Falcons would have easily gone with Willis at 8 if he were still there. And AD not at number 1? Eh?

GB12
11-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Marcus McCauley IMO would not be as good as a Cover 2 CB for the Lions.
The Vikings run a cover 2...

Of course they don't mean anything, kind of interesting to look at though. I didn't think this one was that bad with moving players up. Only a couple of players were moved more than a round.

Ravens1991
11-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Adrian Peterson on CLE is spooky glad that didnt happen.

Shiver
11-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Pretty dumb article. Falcons would have easily gone with Willis at 8 if he were still there. And AD not at number 1? Eh?

Brady Quinn?

bigbluedefense
11-08-2007, 04:33 PM
How's Jamal Anderson doing anyway? I haven't heard much about him.

Shiver
11-08-2007, 04:34 PM
How's Jamal Anderson doing anyway? I haven't heard much about him.

That's kind of the problem.

bigbluedefense
11-08-2007, 04:36 PM
That's kind of the problem.

i see....

What about Chris Houston?

Shiver
11-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Houston has been coming around nicely. The Giants picked on him a bit, but when you are a rookie playing opposite Hall (who is having his best season) that is to be expected. I think Houston, Blalock and Robinson are keepers. Unfortunately I am worried about Jamaal Anderson. No DE playing opposite John Abraham should be sack-less.

T-RICH49
11-08-2007, 04:38 PM
with Bowe gone then I would have had KC take Grubbs or Staley

bigbluedefense
11-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Houston has been coming around. The Giants picked on him a bit, but when you are a rookie playing opposite Hall (who is having his best season) that is to be expected.

Yeah, its sad that no one recognizes how good Hall has actually been playing, because he's acting like a royal douche off the field (and on it sometimes too).

As well as he's playing though, I think he has to go. You can't have that in a lockerroom.

JK17
11-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Normally I wouldn't complain, but its kind of stupid commentary for re-doing the Chargers first round pick. To say that they would be much better suited with Anthony Gonzalez then Craig Davis I feel is an odd statement. Yes, he has 6 more catches, and 200 yards as compared to Davis 84, but he also plays in a much more productive passing offense, on a team that gets the ball to their receivers much more frequently then the Chargers do. I've said it before talking about WRs on the Chargers, ideally you want Rivers completing 15-18 of about 20-25 passes a game. If 6 go to gates, 4 go to LT, that leaves 5-8 catches to spread between the WRs. None of them are going to have huge catch numbers, especially a guy drafted to play the slot.

But even that said, I could understand that Gonzalez may be a bit more productive then Davis. But then to say we would not have had to trade for Chambers had we gone with Gonzalez? That's just ignorant considering Gonzalez or Davis, we still would only have a slot WR with them, as was intended. Gonzalez would not have come in and been the #1 WR that Chambers is. I can understand saying Gonzalez might have been a better pick; but to say it would have given us a #1? That's dumb.

PoopSandwich
11-08-2007, 04:52 PM
That article sucks.

Not to mention the Browns wouldn't pass on Joe Thomas (unless they were to get Ugoh, but how would they know that would happen...)

The concept in general is stupid, he says things like "The Eagles wanted Kolb here bad in April so I don't see why they pass on him now."

Then he doesn't have the Dolphins pass on Ginn?

I don't get what the was trying to do, he should have just made the picks on how he thinks they should go based on what happened... The Browns wouldn't pass on Joe Thomas I guarantee it.

PoopSandwich
11-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Brady Quinn?

Another stupid thing, bull **** that many teams pass on Quinn this time around with all of the QB problems in the league right now.

BucSappy
11-08-2007, 04:54 PM
No way the Rams pass up on Gaines Adams for Adam Carriker. Doesn't make sense.

BucSappy
11-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Todd McShay is writing a fun, intriguing article. You all need to stop hating. He isn't hurting anyone. It's no big deal.

Just like in mock drafts, people get so personal when they don't like a pick. It's not real. ****

TitanHope
11-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Todd McShay may have knowledge on the draft, but as far as the NFL itself and the teams in it, he's no more than lamen.

11-08-2007, 05:05 PM
if the draft were redone i cant see any team passing on AD..but we havent seen how good russell can be just yet

Shiver
11-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Yeah, its sad that no one recognizes how good Hall has actually been playing, because he's acting like a royal douche off the field (and on it sometimes too).

As well as he's playing though, I think he has to go. You can't have that in a lockerroom.

He has started to act more professionally lately. After his interception he handed the ball to Arthur Blank, who congratulated him. So hopefully this will all be water under the bridge.

Another stupid thing, bull **** that many teams pass on Quinn this time around with all of the QB problems in the league right now.

At the time Atlanta didn't have "QB problems." No one could have imagined Vick would be going to prison for orchestrating a dog fighting operation at the time.

TitanHope
11-08-2007, 05:09 PM
It's my understanding that this draft is a re-draft using the information that we know now. If we know that Adrian Peterson is a monstrous force at RB, then I think its safe to assume that we know Michael Vick is facing jail time.

Shiver
11-08-2007, 05:10 PM
It's my understanding that this draft is a re-draft using the information that we know now. If we know that Adrian Peterson is a monstrous force at RB, then I think its safe to assume that we know Michael Vick is facing jail time.

Hence why I said that Atlanta would take Quinn in a "re-do."

PoopSandwich
11-08-2007, 05:19 PM
At the time Atlanta didn't have "QB problems." No one could have imagined Vick would be going to prison for orchestrating a dog fighting operation at the time.

Exactly. Not many teams had QB problems, then McShay does this knowing the problems that the teams have, yet McShay redid this, and had Quinn fall all of the way down to 25!!!!!!!!

ironman4579
11-08-2007, 05:25 PM
The Vikings run a cover 2...

Of course they don't mean anything, kind of interesting to look at though. I didn't think this one was that bad with moving players up. Only a couple of players were moved more than a round.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I don't think the Vikings run the same type Cover 2 as the Lions. I'm probably wrong of course, it just seems like in the Vikings games I've seen, McCauley has been in man coverage quite a bit.

GB12
11-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I don't think the Vikings run the same type Cover 2 as the Lions. I'm probably wrong of course, it just seems like in the Vikings games I've seen, McCauley has been in man coverage quite a bit.
I'm almost certain they are the same. With both Marinelli and Tomlin coming from Tampa that would make sense too.

ironman4579
11-08-2007, 05:40 PM
I'm almost certain they are the same. With both Marinelli and Tomlin coming from Tampa that would make sense too.

Tomlin? I'm pretty sure Leslie Frazier is the D coordinator for the Vikings, and I'm pretty sure he came from the Colts. Still, I'm sure you're right, it's probably just me.

Ewing
11-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Here's my redraft of the top ten picks based on what we know now and my thoughts on players are prospects.

1. Raiders - JaMarcus Russell
2. Lions - Joe Thomas
3. Browns - Adrian Peterson
4. Bucs - Calvin Johnson
5. Cardinals - Patrick Willis
6. Redskins - LaRon Landry
7. Vikings - Marshawn Lynch
8. Falcons - Brady Quinn
9. Dolphins - Darrelle Revis
10. Texans - Amobi Okoye

Also, McShay is nuts if he thinks Okoye would succeed in the 3-4 Miami defense.

GB12
11-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Tomlin? I'm pretty sure Leslie Frazier is the D coordinator for the Vikings, and I'm pretty sure he came from the Colts. Still, I'm sure you're right, it's probably just me.
Tomlin was there last year before he went to Pitt. I don't think they really changed anything from his system.

Shiver
11-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Here's my redraft of the top ten picks based on what we know now and my thoughts on players are prospects.

2. Lions - Joe Thomas
4. Bucs - Calvin Johnson
8. Falcons - Gaines Adams
9. Dolphins - Brady Quinn
10. Texans - Amobi Okoye

Atlanta would take Quinn. Even if they didn't they wouldn't take Adams. The team needed a strong side DE, they already have John Abraham at weak side.

Ewing
11-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Atlanta would take Quinn. Even if they didn't they wouldn't take Adams. The team needed a strong side DE, they already have John Abraham at weak side.

You're right. I changed it.

ironman4579
11-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Tomlin was there last year before he went to Pitt. I don't think they really changed anything from his system.

I see what you were saying. I thought you meant this year, since McCauley is a rookie. Like I said, I'm not arguing you're wrong.

ironman4579
11-08-2007, 06:02 PM

2. Lions - Joe Thomas
4. Bucs - Calvin Johnson
8. Falcons - Brady Quinn
10. Texans - Amobi Okoye

That was another one I was thinking. Where would Okoye play in the 3-4 and be successful?

B-Dawk
11-08-2007, 06:02 PM
McShay was not a fan of Quinn at the time of the draft, i think he said he was a 2-3 rounder. So since he has not seen anything form Quinn on the field probably feels the same and used some of that feeling in not putting him higher.

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-08-2007, 06:06 PM
McShay was talking with Kiper and he said that he thought that Quinn was a 2nd to 3rd rounder and then Kiper asked him if that was so why he had Quinn as #6 on his overall rankings.Pretty funny.

Scotty D
11-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Gerald Alexander! Hah I remember all the flack Millen got for that pick.

keylime_5
11-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Call me a homer, but I think Tony Ugoh would've been a top 15 (maybe even top 10) pick, if teams knew he would play this good in this rookie season.

Maybe, but from what I've seen most of it is Peyton Manning getting rid of the ball so quick that teams don't blitz. Put him on the Raiders and he'll still be good, but not as good as he look on the Colts offense.

marks01234
11-08-2007, 06:40 PM
McShay was talking with Kiper and he said that he thought that Quinn was a 2nd to 3rd rounder and then Kiper asked him if that was so why he had Quinn as #6 on his overall rankings.Pretty funny.

I'm suprised McShay can dress himself in the morning.

Honestly, where does ESPN find these guys?

MaxV
11-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Maybe, but from what I've seen most of it is Peyton Manning getting rid of the ball so quick that teams don't blitz. Put him on the Raiders and he'll still be good, but not as good as he look on the Colts offense.

Perhaps, but Ugoh is showing athleticism that is very rarely seen from an O-Lineman. The reason he fell to 2nd round is because he came from a run-oriented offense and teams weren't sure how he would do in pass-blocking. He has proved so far that his pass-protecting skills are pretty good (though his run-blocking skills are still ahead).

If you can guarantee NFL teams that a guy will be a franchise LT, that guy won't last past 15th overall pick.

It may be a bit early in his career, but I think it's fairly certain that Ugoh is a franchise LT for Indy.

no love
11-08-2007, 06:53 PM

2. Lions - Joe Thomas
4. Bucs - Calvin Johnson
8. Falcons - Brady Quinn
10. Texans - Amobi Okoye

Wow on second glance, I am so glad that Patrick Willis fell to us!

MaxV
11-08-2007, 06:56 PM
I honestly don't believe that Adrian Peterson would fall past 2nd overall pick if teams knew he would be doing what he is doing right now.

Joe Thomas is great, but talents like Peterson don't come around often.

Splat
11-08-2007, 07:00 PM
D-Bo from 23 up to 7 talk about a pay rise.

mqtirishfan
11-08-2007, 07:09 PM
With Peterson off the board, I can't see how the Queens could pass on Quinn at this point in the season. The Minnesota QBs are a step away from regular day jobs.

draftguru151
11-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Perhaps, but Ugoh is showing athleticism that is very rarely seen from an O-Lineman. The reason he fell to 2nd round is because he came from a run-oriented offense and teams weren't sure how he would do in pass-blocking. He has proved so far that his pass-protecting skills are pretty good (though his run-blocking skills are still ahead).

If you can guarantee NFL teams that a guy will be a franchise LT, that guy won't last past 15th overall pick.

It may be a bit early in his career, but I think it's fairly certain that Ugoh is a franchise LT for Indy.

While Ugoh is miles ahead of Charlie Johnson you're overrating what he's done so far. He is a great athlete, but everyone knew that before the draft, he still isn't a great pass blocker. He's been pretty good, but he hasn't shown the elite LT skills that you're hyping him up to have.

bigbluedefense
11-08-2007, 07:28 PM
While Ugoh is miles ahead of Charlie Johnson you're overrating what he's done so far. He is a great athlete, but everyone knew that before the draft, he still isn't a great pass blocker. He's been pretty good, but he hasn't shown the elite LT skills that you're hyping him up to have.

I think having Peyton Manning as his qb masks some of his issues, since Peyton is so great at getting rid of the ball in time.

But Ugoh does have potential to develop into a great LT. He has exceeded my expectations thus far. I'll give him that.

MaxV
11-08-2007, 07:30 PM

I aknowledged that his pass-blocking skills are still behind his run-blocking skills (which ARE on elite level btw), but he shows a lot of upside in that area as well.

He does a very good job against speed rushers.

All that is left for him to improve in is the technique of leveraging himself better against the bull-rush. He still, at times, plays straight up in those situations.

neko4
11-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Ya Green Bay really needed another DT. It was a bad pick in the first, woulda been a bad pick in the 2nd and woulda been a bad pick in any Round. GB has proven this year and were on their way to proving last year that Dline is not a need

d34ng3l021
11-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Brady Quinn?

Oh crap. Completely forgot about him.

...Yeah. He would pretty much be the pick in the redo.

San Diego Chicken
11-08-2007, 09:52 PM
I think McShay is just being stubborn. Minnesota, Atlanta and Miami should all have selected a QB (Quinn) in this redraft. You could even argue that Washington would consider it, since Jason Campbell is nothing special.

Mr. Stiller
11-09-2007, 12:58 AM

I remember the 2005 draft remake by someone at ESPN.. they had Heath Miller #3 to the lions..

Crickett
11-09-2007, 01:01 AM
I remember the 2005 draft remake by someone at ESPN.. they had Heath Miller #3 to the lions..

I remember one (forgot from who) that had Kyle Orton in the first round.

Mr. Stiller
11-09-2007, 01:13 AM

2. Lions - Joe Thomas
4. Bucs - Calvin Johnson
8. Falcons - Brady Quinn
10. Texans - Amobi Okoye

Isn't McShay the one saying "Glenn Dorsey to Miami"?

and I think it's too pre-mature to make this list as well.

I'm not sure who all got playing time.. but frankly these kids haven't been exposed to enough game time to really show anything...

Ginn, Timmons, Carriker, Harrell, Moss, Griffin, Nelson, Meriweather, Meachem, Branch, etc.

It's too early..

Who knows, Ginn could turn it on and be the best WR in the league..

Carriker could throw up 27 sacks and who would pass on a DT capable of 27 sacks in a year? Not the Raih-duz.

Timmons could be an All-Pro ILB...

Harrell could make a huge mark..

As for the "sure things" Jamarcus and Quinn could bomb. AP could break his leg and never play again (knock on wood so it doesn't happen).. I mean, like I said.. it's a little premature when half the first and 2nd rounders have barely played.

Crazy_Chris
11-09-2007, 01:22 AM
I love how there are 4 Viking Rookies in his re-draft.

elcapitan
11-09-2007, 04:29 AM
No way the Rams pass up on Gaines Adams for Adam Carriker. Doesn't make sense.

Todd McShay is writing a fun, intriguing article. You all need to stop hating. He isn't hurting anyone. It's no big deal.

Just like in mock drafts, people get so personal when they don't like a pick. It's not real. ****

Do you have DID or schizophrenia

draftguru151
11-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Do you have DID or schizophrenia

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed that.