PDA

View Full Version : oregon vs lsu?

foozball
11-08-2007, 08:47 PM
could it happen? can we put the pac 10 against the SEC and let it be a battle of the powerhouse conferences? this is the game i want to watch in the championship game. the big 10 had its shot last year against the SEC and fell flat on its face. i really hope OSU loses.

soybean
11-08-2007, 08:49 PM
could it happen? can we put the pac 10 against the SEC and let it be a battle of the powerhouse conferences? this is the game i want to watch in the championship game. the big 10 had its shot last year against the SEC and fell flat on its face. i really hope OSU loses.

not gonna happen. We all hope/expect/want OSU to lose but that just means they're most likely going to win out... sigh.

Turtlepower
11-08-2007, 08:49 PM

Completely agree with you on that one. This really would be a great match-up with LSU's terrific front-7 against Oregon's sick rushing attack. I wish PAC-10 commissioner Tom Hansen will finally agree on a +1 game after this season.

TigerBait45
11-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Would definitely be a hell of a game. I think it'd come down to whether or not LSU's offense played like they've done at times this year (Virginia Tech and Alabama, for example), because I don't think they could hold Oregon under 30.

Sniper
11-08-2007, 11:12 PM

Your logic doesn't make sense. The Big 10 had its shot? So what, teams from the Big 10 never get another chance ever? ******* stupid logic.

But OSU won't make it to the NC after their loss on 11/17

foozball
11-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Your logic doesn't make sense. The Big 10 had its shot? So what, teams from the Big 10 never get another chance ever? ******* stupid logic.

But OSU won't make it to the NC after their loss on 11/17

my logic is that theyre not a better team than last year, who played an SEC team and got crushed. if theyre #1, why isnt kansas #2? where's the logic in that? both have identical records. i want to see the 2 best teams play each other, and i think oregon and lsu are the top 2 teams.

Sniper
11-09-2007, 07:38 AM
my logic is that theyre not a better team than last year, who played an SEC team and got crushed. if theyre #1, why isnt kansas #2? where's the logic in that? both have identical records. i want to see the 2 best teams play each other, and i think oregon and lsu are the top 2 teams.

How do you know they're not a better team than last year? Their defense is #1 in the country and their offense merely plays a different style to last year's. Todd Boeckman has very similar numbers to what Troy Smith put up last year during his Heisman campaign and Chris Wells is tearing defenses a new asshole. And this is coming from a UM fan.

Why is LSU looked upon so favorably? They haven't looked very good of late. Flynn isn't a great QB, their running game is meh, and their wideouts are very inconsistent. Their defense is the only thing keeping them afloat.

keylime_5
11-09-2007, 09:50 AM
This is all gonna be hilarious after Ohio State goes into the Superdome next January and wins the title again while all the critics go "boo-hoo, they still haven't played anybody" after we're champs. LSU doesn't scare me, in fact I'm more scared of Oregon (who look a LOT like the 2006 Buckeyes btw...dynamic dual threat QB heisman leader, great runnning game and receivers, suspect defense and vulnerable OTs)

Sniper
11-09-2007, 11:07 AM
This is all gonna be hilarious after Ohio State goes into the Superdome next January and wins the title again while all the critics go "boo-hoo, they still haven't played anybody" after we're champs. LSU doesn't scare me, in fact I'm more scared of Oregon (who look a LOT like the 2006 Buckeyes btw...dynamic dual threat QB heisman leader, great runnning game and receivers, suspect defense and vulnerable OTs)

You're not going to the Superdome since Oregon and LSU are...It's kind of hard to make the NC when you lose to Michigan in your last game ;)

P-L
11-09-2007, 11:45 AM
The original poster asked if it could happen. He didn't suggest it would happen. Way to overreact.

BucSappy
11-09-2007, 12:48 PM
If OSu loses considering their SOS we might see this game in the National Championship.

Namy
11-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Here's how I see the situation turning out:

OSU WILL go undefeated. What's Tressel's record against Carr? Enough said. Tressel is GREAT at preparing teams week by week for the big games. They wilL NOT lose to Michigan with the NC on the line.

So who will OSU face? This is where I think it gets interesting. If LSU wins out and wins the SEC championship, then they fully deserve to go given Florida's dominance last year. HOWEVER, LSU is incredibly overrated. Especially on offense. I see Florida knocking them off.

In addition, I do NOT see Oregan playing the NC game for this reason: I see OU WOMPING an undefeated Kansas which will catapult them over Oregan.

Sniper
11-09-2007, 02:39 PM

OSU WILL go undefeated. What's Tressel's record against Carr? Enough said.

Yes, because all games are played on paper like that.

keylime_5
11-09-2007, 02:53 PM
The original poster asked if it could happen. He didn't suggest it would happen. Way to overreact.

I wasn't replying to the original poster was I, I was replying to about a half dozen posts about OSU losing.

Namy
11-09-2007, 04:01 PM
Yes, because all games are played on paper like that.

What I said is a better basis for my argument than any counter argument for why Michigan will beat tOSU =/

Sniper
11-09-2007, 05:08 PM
What I said is a better basis for my argument than any counter argument for why Michigan will beat tOSU =/

You mean besides the fact that Michigan is on an eight game winning streak, this is Hart, Henne, Long, Crable and possibly Manningham's last OSU game, it'd be perfect karma for us to lose to Appalachian State and beat OSU, Hart will go for 150+ and 3 TD and once again James Laurinaitis will be a non factor in The Game? If you say so...

soybean
11-09-2007, 05:36 PM
You mean besides the fact that Michigan is on an eight game winning streak, this is Hart, Henne, Long, Crable and possibly Manningham's last OSU game, it'd be perfect karma for us to lose to Appalachian State and beat OSU, Hart will go for 150+ and 3 TD and once again James Laurinaitis will be a non factor in The Game? If you say so...

dude, you got me pumped. I hope we don't see a let down.

LSUALUM99
11-09-2007, 07:37 PM

So who will OSU face? This is where I think it gets interesting. If LSU wins out and wins the SEC championship, then they fully deserve to go given Florida's dominance last year. HOWEVER, LSU is incredibly overrated. Especially on offense. I see Florida knocking them off.

Nice to see you know anything about what you are talking about. LSU has already beaten Florida and Florida lost to Georgia last week so they aren't winning the SEC East. LSU won't play Florida again this season.

LSU may be overrated by some, but they are 5-1 against Top 25 teams this season. They have the most wins against top 25 teams in the country. Conversely, tOSU's schedule strength is in the bottom half of DIV I-A football programs.

Sniper
11-10-2007, 09:57 AM
LSU may be overrated by some, but they are 5-1 against Top 25 teams this season. They have the most wins against top 25 teams in the country. Conversely, tOSU's schedule strength is in the bottom half of DIV I-A football programs.

Part of 6 teams being in the top 25 (that LSU played) also comes from the massive media overrating of the SEC, so don't put too much stock into that.

duckseason
11-10-2007, 04:37 PM
In addition, I do NOT see Oregan playing the NC game for this reason: I see OU WOMPING an undefeated Kansas which will catapult them over Oregan.

Which would be ridiculous as hell, considering the fact that we just beat an equally if not more impressive undefeated team in ASU. Also, our loss isn't nearly as bad as that of Oklahoma's, imo. It was about as close as you get to a win without actually winning, and it was against one of the best teams in the country at the time. No question in my mind that our schedule is tougher than Oklahoma's. But, I agree that the scenario you describe would definitely become a reality if Kansas manages to beat both Oklahoma St and Missouri. I just think that one of those teams will knock them off before Oklahoma gets their chance at it.

Who knows though, we may end up seeing Oregon play Oklahoma if they both win out and both tOSU and LSU stumble. I actually think there's a pretty good chance of that happening if the Illini can hang on and pull out this victory.

Komp
11-10-2007, 05:36 PM
I think Oregon-LSU would pit the best defense in the country against the best QB-RB combo in college football. It would be a very interesting game to watch. If Oregon can compete with LSU at the line of scrimmage I think they would have a good chance at the upset.

soybean
11-10-2007, 05:40 PM
I think Oregon-LSU would pit the best defense in the country against the best QB-RB combo in college football. It would be a very interesting game to watch. If Oregon can compete with LSU at the line of scrimmage I think they would have a good chance at the upset.

i don't think they can lay claim to that title any more.

foozball
11-10-2007, 05:43 PM
well, with OSU gone, let's hope this game can happen. if not, i wouldnt mind seeing an OU vs OSU game because of the botched calls from last year's game between the two. however, i really wanna see a battle between the two powerhouse conferences in the SEC and PAC 10

soily
11-10-2007, 07:31 PM
How do you know they're not a better team than last year? Their defense is #1 in the country and their offense merely plays a different style to last year's. Todd Boeckman has very similar numbers to what Troy Smith put up last year during his Heisman campaign and Chris Wells is tearing defenses a new asshole. And this is coming from a UM fan.

Why is LSU looked upon so favorably? They haven't looked very good of late. Flynn isn't a great QB, their running game is meh, and their wideouts are very inconsistent. Their defense is the only thing keeping them afloat.

LOL at this entire post

LSUALUM99
11-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Part of 6 teams being in the top 25 (that LSU played) also comes from the massive media overrating of the SEC, so don't put too much stock into that.

The SEC isn't overrated by the Media. Going into this weekend, the SEC was 32-5 against non-SEC opponents. The best by far of any conference.

As much as you'd like to believe the SEC is overrated, the facts are that the SEC dominates it's non-conference opponents in both the regular season and in the bowl games.

Namy
11-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Which would be ridiculous as hell, considering the fact that we just beat an equally if not more impressive undefeated team in ASU. Also, our loss isn't nearly as bad as that of Oklahoma's, imo. It was about as close as you get to a win without actually winning, and it was against one of the best teams in the country at the time. No question in my mind that our schedule is tougher than Oklahoma's. But, I agree that the scenario you describe would definitely become a reality if Kansas manages to beat both Oklahoma St and Missouri. I just think that one of those teams will knock them off before Oklahoma gets their chance at it.

Who knows though, we may end up seeing Oregon play Oklahoma if they both win out and both tOSU and LSU stumble. I actually think there's a pretty good chance of that happening if the Illini can hang on and pull out this victory.

With OSU inexplicably losing, I think your scenario is probably what will happen. I still see LSU losing to Georgia (my bad LSUALUM99, for some mistakened reason I thought UF had a better record lol) and I see OU giving Kansas it's first loss in the Big 12 Championship.

Sniper
11-12-2007, 02:01 PM
The SEC isn't overrated by the Media. Going into this weekend, the SEC was 32-5 against non-SEC opponents. The best by far of any conference.

As much as you'd like to believe the SEC is overrated, the facts are that the SEC dominates it's non-conference opponents in both the regular season and in the bowl games.

Yeah, but the vast majority of the SEC's non-con schedule is a bunch of patsies. Most good teams they've played have beaten them. FSU beat Bama and California beat Tennessee off the top of my head. The Big 10 was 2-1 against the SEC last year in bowl games. People seem to conveniently forget this little tidbit

Sniper
11-12-2007, 02:04 PM
By the way, Illinois beats Ohio State and it's " LOLZ OMGZ BIG TEN BLOWZ!!!!11!!". Meanwhile, Kentucky beats LSU and it's "Oh man the SEC is so tough". Double standard much?

TigerBait45
11-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Just for the record, LSU is 2nd in the SEC in rushing (behind Arkansas).

They don't have huge numbers because 6 guys carry the ball every game, but they run the ball really well. Thats pretty much their bread and butter since Flynn is..garbage.

someone447
11-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Yeah, but the vast majority of the SEC's non-con schedule is a bunch of patsies. Most good teams they've played have beaten them. FSU beat Bama and California beat Tennessee off the top of my head. The Big 10 was 2-1 against the SEC last year in bowl games. People seem to conveniently forget this little tidbit

I will admit the SEC is better than the big 10, but not by much. When the Big 10 teams beat up on each other, the media takes it as a sign that the Big 10 is no good. When the SEC teams beat up on each other, the media takes it as a sign the SEC is deep.

How exactly is that not a bias?

soily
11-12-2007, 09:06 PM
By the way, Illinois beats Ohio State and it's " LOLZ OMGZ BIG TEN BLOWZ!!!!11!!". Meanwhile, Kentucky beats LSU and it's "Oh man the SEC is so tough". Double standard much?

Because Kentucky is a good team. Illinois is not! LOLZ OMGZ BIG TEN BLOWZ!!!

soily
11-12-2007, 09:07 PM

LOL at Big 10 fan talking about non-conference schedules.

Sniper
11-12-2007, 10:06 PM
LOL at Big 10 fan talking about non-conference schedules.

Do you ever post anything remotely close to intelligent?

Sniper
11-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Because Kentucky is a good team. Illinois is not! LOLZ OMGZ BIG TEN BLOWZ!!!

Your lack of intelligence continuously amazes me.

Turtlepower
11-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Playing Louisiana Tech in week 12 gave LSU such a sweat. I can't believe they pulled that game out.

Sniper
11-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Playing Louisiana Tech in week 12 gave LSU such a sweat. I can't believe they pulled that game out.

It was a toughie.