PDA

View Full Version : DPOY???

TACKLE
11-08-2007, 11:24 PM
It's half through the season and no one has really seperated themselves as the top defender this year. Ed Reed and Sean Taylor are both playing great with 5 INT's a piece. Albert Haynesworth is an absolute beast and has been unstoppable up the middle. Mike Vrable has 8.5 sacks and 4 Forced Fumble and has been the key for the Pats on D. Jared Allen and Aaron Kampman have been standouts. Also have to throw P-Willie's name in there as he leads the NFL in tackles with 83. There may be some I missed. Who do think will be the Defensive Player of the Year???

d34ng3l021
11-08-2007, 11:46 PM
So far, IMO...

1. Albert Haynesworth
2. Jared Allen

3. Everyone else

BuddyCHRIST
11-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Everyone seems to mention Bob Sanders

Scotty D
11-08-2007, 11:58 PM
Shaun Rogers, he needs to get some more sacks but his disruption of the pocket isn't really a stat you can keep track of. I think he will continue his strong play and make a late push for the award. I'm not saying he is leading right now but in a sad truth he is just getting into shape.

Shiver
11-09-2007, 12:24 AM
The best defensive player in the league this year is Albert Haynesworth, in a landslide at that.

Ewing
11-09-2007, 12:25 AM
The best defensive player in the league this year is Albert Haynesworth, in a landslide at that.

I'd love it if he won DPOY but I suspect it goes to Bob Sanders. The media has been hyping him up to win it since around week four.

Jensen
11-09-2007, 12:27 AM
The homer in me says Darnell Dockett should be mentioned in this discussion.

San Diego Chicken
11-09-2007, 12:37 AM
My pick would be Jared Allen, but isn't he ineligible because of the "Merriman Rule"?

Turtlepower
11-09-2007, 12:38 AM
My pick would be Jared Allen, but isn't he ineligible because of the "Merriman Rule"?

Merriman was steroids, Allen was DUI. Differnce, but I feel DUI is worse. Another time on that argument though...

I could be homerish and pick Osi, but I will go with DeAngelo Hall who has been a shutdown corner all year and by far the best player on the Dirty Birds.

ImBrotherCain
11-09-2007, 12:43 AM
Come on guys Kampman still gets no love. Sats wise Kampy is having a better year .5 more of a sack and 10 more tackles.... COME ON give him some love!

Woody56
11-09-2007, 12:47 AM
Come on guys Kampman still gets no love sats wise Kampy is having a better year... .5 more of a sack and 10 more tackles.... COME ON give him some love!

Kampman has also played 2 more games

VoteLynnSwan
11-09-2007, 12:56 AM
plus if you can't even form a coherent thought, then i'm definitely not going to side with you.

Mr. Stiller
11-09-2007, 12:56 AM
The homer in me says Darnell Dockett should be mentioned in this discussion.

I would be completely fine with that Argument..

He beat Alan Faneca once and the double team of Alan Faneca and Sean Mahan twice to sack Ben Roethlisberger in the Az v. Steelers game..

#2 or #3 in sacks as a DT is impressive.

San Diego Chicken
11-09-2007, 01:00 AM
Merriman was steroids, Allen was DUI. Differnce, but I feel DUI is worse. Another time on that argument though...

I could be homerish and pick Osi, but I will go with DeAngelo Hall who has been a shutdown corner all year and by far the best player on the Dirty Birds.

You're right, I thought the rule affected any player with a suspension for conduct, but it only deals with performance enhancing drugs. So Allen could win the DPOY.

ImBrotherCain
11-09-2007, 01:05 AM
plus if you can't even form a coherent thought, then i'm definitely not going to side with you.

If you were talking about me... it was a coherent thought

Mr. Stiller
11-09-2007, 01:14 AM
If Harrison has 2-3 more games even relatively close to his MNF performance, he could be in consideration.. but With..

Browns, Jets, Rams, Miami, Cincy and Baltimore again.. he could certainly do it.

Especially if he has a remotely close game against NE.

Mr. Stiller
11-09-2007, 01:15 AM
If you were talking about me... it was a coherent thought

Yes, seperated by incoherencies.

B-Dawk
11-09-2007, 01:29 AM

i dont see a cb winning, not after the year champ had last year and didnt win

Turtlepower
11-09-2007, 01:30 AM
i dont see a cb winning, not after the year champ had last year and didnt win

The truth is all football awards are about stats and it is so much easier to pick them up as a LB or DE. That is why you'll rarely see someone from any other position on the defensive side get the nod.

Mr. Stiller
11-09-2007, 01:35 AM
The truth is all football awards are about stats and it is so much easier to pick them up as a LB or DE. That is why you'll rarely see someone from any other position on the defensive side get the nod.

Same for QB/RB on offense.

Turtlepower
11-09-2007, 01:36 AM
Same for QB/RB on offense.

Exactly. Marcus McNeil should have won OROY last year, but you give it to Vince Young.

Mr. Stiller
11-09-2007, 01:47 AM
Exactly. Marcus McNeil should have won OROY last year, but you give it to Vince Young.

I'm sorry, I'll take the trophy back and give it to McNeil.

d34ng3l021
11-09-2007, 02:27 AM

Wow. I dont think I have seen a non-Falcons fan give credit to DeAngelo Hall for the season he is having. Forget DPOTY, I hope Hall can at least get a bit of recognition for his play by maybe a Pro Bowl or All-Pro, because he does deserve it.

I actually change my mind to what Shiver says. Haynesworth is in the lead by alot right now. He is a dominant player on a dominant defense, which is leading the Titans to a great record. Allen has had great individual success, but I think Haynesworth defense gives him the edge. Dockett doesnt deserve it over Haynesworth, but could be included in the discussion.

If Farrior has another couple games like his MNF one in which he played possessed, then he could make a great case for DPOTY, especially considering the dominance of the Steelers defense.

Turtlepower
11-09-2007, 02:29 AM
Wow. I dont think I have seen a non-Falcons fan give credit to DeAngelo Hall for the season he is having. Forget DPOTY, I hope Hall can at least get a bit of recognition for his play by maybe a Pro Bowl or All-Pro, because he does deserve it.

I actually change my mind to what Shiver says. Haynesworth is in the lead by alot right now. He is a dominant player on a dominant defense, which is leading the Titans to a great record. Allen has had great individual success, but I think Haynesworth defense gives him the edge. Dockett doesnt deserve it over Haynesworth, but could be included in the discussion.

If Farrior has another couple games like his MNF one in which he played possessed, then he could make a great case for DPOTY, especially considering the dominance of the Steelers defense.

I just want to see Hall in a Giants Uni next year. =D

The Legend
11-09-2007, 05:09 AM
Thomas Howard - 4 Interceptions, 55 Tackles, 2 Touchdowns, 170 Yards, 1 Sack

bearfan
11-09-2007, 06:25 AM
Im surprised that no Bucs fans have mentioned Barrett Ruud. I havent seen Haynesworth play, but I know what Bob Sanders means to his defense so I hope that Sanders wins it

Jakey
11-09-2007, 06:32 AM
Haynesworth is playing out of this world...IMHO he deserves to win it

TitanHope
11-09-2007, 07:14 AM
Haynesworth is the DPOTY so far. The guy is the definition of unblockable, and Byron Leftwich is still having nightmares of Fat Al jumping over the line and pulling him down with one arm.

After Haynesworth, I gotta go with Bob Sanders. I love the was he plays, and he makes that Colts defense as good as it is.

Hmmm, odd that both of these players are Free Agents this year...

NIN1984
11-09-2007, 07:20 AM
I agree with Albert Haynesworth he is playing his best football, he is gonna get paid!

A Perfect Score
11-09-2007, 07:39 AM
I agree with Albert Haynesworth he is playing his best football, he is gonna get paid!

and next year whoever gives him hgue money is gunna get the fat, unmotivated player the titans have been dealing with for the past few years. He is only playing like this so he cna cash in in FA. wait until someone gives him huge money then his play drops off dramatically.

but then again maybe he is actually motivated this year and a hgue contrct wont affect the way he plays, in which case, i hope baltimore signs him.

as far as DPOY goes, its haynesworth by a mile, then bob sanders because of what he beings to his defense. That defense is vanilla without him.

OzTitan
11-09-2007, 07:52 AM
It will be hard for a DT like Haynesworth who isn't a sack artist like Sapp was to win DPOY (although he does have, what, 5 sacks?), but there is one stat that will work well for him if he and the Titans keep it up - from 30th last year to 1st in run D, and he is clearly a huge reason why.

It is a contract year however AH does have a legitimate counter to that argument, or two really - firstly, that stomping incident may have just turned him around as a player. When he came back last year he was better - not this good, but better. Secondly, in the time he was suspended he outsourced the help of an ex-All Pro DE (forgot who) to train him in technique. I recall at the time this trainer was astonished at Albert's lack of technique. Apparently he was taught how to use his hands over brute force like he was trying to do before, which Albert has credited on numerous occasions recently for most of his success right now. Oh, and he is also playing a different position right now I believe - switched sides on the DL (every little bit helps, right?).

Maybe he was instructed by his agent to over play the technique stuff he supposedly learned whilst suspended to down play the contract year stuff, but I definitely recall at the time a big deal was made about his lack of technique before his private sessions.

Splat
11-09-2007, 08:40 AM
I want to say Jared Allen but I don't think he will get it he is on a bad team I think it will go to Bob Sanders like someone else said the media has his back.

TitanHope
11-09-2007, 09:19 AM
I do believe Haynesworth has 5 sacks, and plenty more TFL. Him finally being healthy is major. Like OzTitans said, he trained with a retired All Pro DLineman in Atlanta over the offseason and bettered his technique. Plus, he's next to Kyle Vanden Bosch, who is our best DE. So he has a Pro Bowl DE next to him to take pressure off of him. Then you have the head stomping incident, and Haynesworth has stated many times that he's changed because of it and was deeply upset with himself because he had to explain to his young children what he did. Factor in incentive that he must play well this season, and you have the monster that's leading the 1# run defense in the league.

In the end, he may not win it. But if the season ended today, he should.

Don Vito
11-09-2007, 09:21 AM
Yea Thomas Howard has had a hell of a year, as have Albert Haynesworth and Sean Taylor. I would give it to Haynesworth just because he has the stats and has been the most disruptive DL in the NFL this year.

Nitschke-Hawk
11-09-2007, 01:33 PM
1. Albert Haynesworth -monster, no way he'll get the votes though.
2. Nick Barnett - again won't get the votes, he doesn't dominate, but I feel his stats as a MLB are as good as anybody's and makes several clutch plays a game.
3. Sean Taylor - Really is playing smart and mistake free. It's so fun to watch him run around with aggression on every play but apparently he's even better when he holds back, then saves it for the right situation.
4. Mike Vrabel - His stats were pretty padded in that Washington game but they're letting him move around a lot more it seems, because they have so much depth at LB. It's wierd to have him on the outside and a freak athlete Adalius Thomas on the inside. I've always wondered why they don't have him in the middle. They defenitely should when Bruschi and Seau are gone. I've had that opinion for a while but never said it on here.

I was gonna put Keith Bullock in there, but only 37 tackles? That's wierd.

HoopsDemon12
11-09-2007, 01:37 PM
I really think that Sean taylor and Albert will be the front runners this year.. if P-Willy though makes some more plays and gets a couple interceptions and sacks .. he will be in the running awsell

The Great Jonathan Vilma
11-09-2007, 02:40 PM

you mean Harrison, not Farrior....

Moses
11-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Bob Sanders is the media darling right now. Sean Taylor and Albert Haynesworth obviously are front runners as well.

Smooth Criminal
11-09-2007, 03:58 PM
If I had to vote now I would give it to Albert Haynesworth. He has been a dominant player for Tennesse and is a big reason their defense is as good as it is.

MaxV
11-09-2007, 03:59 PM
All this talk of Bob Sanders winning the DPOY is making me nervous.

I mean, I would be happy if he won it, but he is a FA at season's end and his price would go up significantly.

d34ng3l021

Yeah. My bad.

Smooth Criminal

Either way no one is going to have a defensive game that dominant for a long time. He was everywhere. You don't get performances like the one Harrison put up very often.

Smooth Criminal
11-09-2007, 04:01 PM

I mean, I would be happy if he won it, but he is a FA at season's end and his price would go up significantly.

I didn't know he was a FA. Thats definately a huge possibility because the Colts probably can't afford another huge deal with the ones Manning, Harrison, Wayne, and Freeney have. I'd love to see Sanders get out of Indy. I think he'll be a huge letdown if he plays in any system other than a Cover 2.

OSUGiants17
11-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Chief Osi for DPOY

fenikz
11-09-2007, 04:02 PM
No offense to Willis but most of his tackles are about 4 yards down field, he has no chance to win it

remix 6
11-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Sean Taylor imo

Mr. Stiller
11-09-2007, 07:22 PM

After watching 3-4 Colts games I honestly think if anyone were to win DPOY on the Colts it should be Antoine Bethea, that kid is just unreal.

neko4
11-09-2007, 07:26 PM
I really wanna see sean taylor win it, just basing it off how well hes been playing in comparison to previous years

BrownsTown
11-09-2007, 07:30 PM
I want to be a homer about this, but the Browns defense sucks balls.

Beans
11-09-2007, 10:19 PM
The homer in me says Barrett Ruud.

Scarface
11-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Champ Bailey

neko4
11-10-2007, 12:12 AM
Champ Bailey
First Play:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=R-8Qr56KnGY

He isnt having a good year at all in comparison to last

Shiver
11-10-2007, 02:12 AM
Bob Sanders is a great in the box safety, but can a defensive back really win D.P.O.T.Y without a bevy of interceptions? Sanders is great at what he does, don't get me wrong, he just isn't the complete package. The only reason Ed Reed won it was because he had 9 interceptions, two sacks, two defensive touchdowns.

49ersfan_87
11-10-2007, 02:18 AM
How could you guys forget the dominance of Tully Banta Cain? 16 tackles and 1.5 sacks in only 8 games. The definition of DPOY!

In all seriousness, i think it should go to haynesworth or jared allen.

Wyndham
11-10-2007, 06:14 AM
Any one of the better players mentioned over Umenyiora.

sodar21
11-10-2007, 09:47 AM
No love for Julian Peterson?

Scarface
11-10-2007, 10:34 AM
First Play:

well anyone gets destroyed by brett farve he is the best qb ever. I know cause john madden said it

Hands
11-10-2007, 02:06 PM
First Play:

I think that play shows how good Champ really is. Sure he got beat but that's going to happen in man. Had the rush gotten there a bit earlier things might've been different too.

That coverage is just sick. He misjudged the deep ball and that's a mistake, but I mean what other CB plays man up with no help, gives no cushion, and plays inside keeping the WR behind him. There was no other route he possibly could've ran but straight up the sideline and Favre made a great toss.

Anywas DPOY goes to Sanders right now. I think Haynesworth has been better but as people said, Sanders is the media darling now. Another media darling that is getting plenty of love now is Charles Woodson. If he gets a couple more INTs and especially if he takes another one to the house and the pack win the division look out for him.

JetMan
11-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Uhmm, after monday night, i'm going with the steelers harrison. He had more stats in one half than the Jets D all year.

d34ng3l021
11-11-2007, 03:33 AM
No love for Julian Peterson?

He was beasting it a bit earlier in the season, but I havent heard much from his recently...

Cashmoney
11-11-2007, 08:03 PM
i think todays game proved albert haynesworth should be dpoy. the titans defense wasnt the same without him.

The Legend
11-11-2007, 08:04 PM
well anyone gets destroyed by brett farve he is the best qb ever. I know cause john madden said it

hes been doing not so great all year theres a good 5 cb doing better then him this year

Scotty D
11-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Cromartie.

The Legend
11-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Cromartie.

your watch the game too lol
and i agree with you

The Legend
11-11-2007, 08:15 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH 3 INT Antonio Cromartie ON MANNING WOW

d34ng3l021
11-11-2007, 08:28 PM
DeAngelo Hall has yet to give up an NFL recieving TD against him (if you count Toomer's TD on Demorrio Williams' zone. Which I do)

bored of education
11-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Jarred Allen
Cromartie
Haynesworth
Cole
Umineyora

skinzzfan25
11-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Well, Sean Taylor got hurt today...

So pretty much most of his chances are gone (he had a very slim one at that), he could be out for a week or more.

TitanHope
11-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Cashmoneydrew has a point. Albert sat out a game for the first time this season, and the Titans defense gave up 166 rushing yards. The Titans' average throughout the season before today, with Albert Haynesworth playing, is exactly 66 yards a game. So basically you could say Haynesworth's presence on the field will prevent 100 rushing yards. Normally that would seem illogical, but with the way he's been playing, I wouldn't doubt it.

neko4
11-11-2007, 09:09 PM
I think that play shows how good Champ really is. Sure he got beat but that's going to happen in man. Had the rush gotten there a bit earlier things might've been different too.

That coverage is just sick. He misjudged the deep ball and that's a mistake, but I mean what other CB plays man up with no help, gives no cushion, and plays inside keeping the WR behind him. There was no other route he possibly could've ran but straight up the sideline and Favre made a great toss.

Im just saying this isnt his best year. But he is still the best CB in the league IMO

ShutDwn
11-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Bob Sanders is a great in the box safety, but can a defensive back really win D.P.O.T.Y without a bevy of interceptions? Sanders is great at what he does, don't get me wrong, he just isn't the complete package. The only reason Ed Reed won it was because he had 9 interceptions, two sacks, two defensive touchdowns.

But it isn't the interception numbers, it was the returns. They were flashy and top plays on sports center all the time.

You really need the help of the media to win it, and you got to be somewhat flashy to do it. Some would argue that Haynesworth being a DT isn't flashy, but he is flashy in a way that he just mauls interior lineman, RBs and QBs.

TitanAddict
11-11-2007, 10:49 PM
After today's game against the Jags, it's apparant that no one is more important to his team than Albert Haynesworth. We couldn't stop the run with him out. Our #1 rush defense can be directly attributed to Big Al. Too bad we won't be #1 after this week, but maybe we'll claim that spot back.

d34ng3l021
11-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Im just saying this isnt his best year. But he is still the best CB in the league IMO

He is not playing like one THIS YEAR. If the award was Defensive Player of the past few years, then maybe Bailey...but its DPOTY.

Ike Taylor and DeAngelo Hall are outperforming him this year alone.

CC.SD
11-11-2007, 10:56 PM
for the record

Cromartie:

6 Ints (league leading?)
1 Fumble Recovery
2 Defensive Touchdowns
1 Return Touchdown

Not to mention very very pretty picks.

LonghornsLegend
11-11-2007, 11:28 PM
I think its Haynesworth and its not very close IMHO right now, he has been playing out of his mind, and its obvious how much they missed him 2day

CC.SD
11-11-2007, 11:29 PM
I think its Haynesworth and its not very close IMHO right now, he has been playing out of his mind, and its obvious how much they missed him 2day

Hey if he keeps missing games, and they keep doing poorly, he should be a lock!

edit: CROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Moses
11-11-2007, 11:30 PM

I think it will be tough for Haynesworth to win it, although he could very well deserve it. Just doesn't have the stats and visibility which is important for these awards.

Nitschke-Hawk
11-12-2007, 12:25 AM
I wanna throw in Cromartie... But I didn't watch much after the 1st quarter. Did Reggie Wayne ever toast him?

bolts2388
11-12-2007, 03:18 AM
I wanna throw in Cromartie... But I didn't watch much after the 1st quarter. Did Reggie Wayne ever toast him?

Nope only when Drayton Florence was on him.

Addict
11-12-2007, 06:47 AM
Hey if he keeps missing games, and they keep doing poorly, he should be a lock!

edit: CROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

...martie?

P-L
11-12-2007, 07:37 AM

No, they didn't really go against each other. Ted Cottrell made sure that none of his defensive players got within 15 yards of Reggie Wayne.

CC.SD
11-12-2007, 12:25 PM
No, they didn't really go against each other. Ted Cottrell made sure that none of his defensive players got within 15 yards of Reggie Wayne.

Well he was their only legitimate receiving threat after all. Why not let him run free the entire night? It's amazing just how awful Norv and Cottrell turned out to be. It's almost miraculous.