PDA

View Full Version : Rick Gosselin hearts Aqib Talib

slats7
11-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Matthew: Rick, have you seen CB Aqib Talib at Kansas play ball? The Richardson product would be a perfect replacement for Anthony Henry. He's 6-2 and about two times as athletic. He's expected to be a late first rounder, where the Cowboys will have two picks. Any thoughts on Talib?

Rick Gosselin: The Cowboys better hope the Browns collapse and finish 5-11 for them to have a shot at Talib. He's one of the top cornerbacks on the draft board. He's stock has skyrocketed this season to coincide with the emergence of Kansas as a national power. I'm not sure two first-rounders in the 20s would be enough to land a Top 10 pick in trade. And if the Cowboys do attempt to move up to those heights, I think it would be for Darren McFadden.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-09-2007, 12:27 AM
I was never convinced that Talib had the kind of 40-time in him to propel himself into the top 10, especially with both Phillips and Jenkins already having top 10 grades (early in the process as it is).

thule
11-09-2007, 01:13 AM
This is scary because although Gosselin isn't exactly a talent evaluator he is one of the best in the biz at understand what teams around the league feel. His top 100 is always about right on....this scares me.

Mr. Stiller
11-09-2007, 01:20 AM
Talib is amazing me as well.

he has 5 TD's total this year..

4 on Offense
1 on Defense.

I've flirted with the idea of Drafting him to replace Ward.

He's a guy that isn't afraid to make or be part of contact. With his hands, and some tutelage, I think he could be a more physicall dominant version of Hines. Similar builds and speed (Talib: 6'2 205 4.52 Ward: 6'0 205 4.55)

And at worst you could always move him back to corner if he doesn't get WR down.

thule
11-09-2007, 02:22 AM
Talib is amazing me as well.

he has 5 TD's total this year..

4 on Offense
1 on Defense.

I've flirted with the idea of Drafting him to replace Ward.

He's a guy that isn't afraid to make or be part of contact. With his hands, and some tutelage, I think he could be a more physicall dominant version of Hines. Similar builds and speed (Talib: 6'2 205 4.52 Ward: 6'0 205 4.55)

And at worst you could always move him back to corner if he doesn't get WR down.

His stock as a CB is so much higher than at WR...find it hard to believe he would switch...not to mention how much highly reguarded CB's are in todays NFL. Talib is a lock to play CB in the NFL. It's not like he is Champ Bailey coming out playing both sides exclusively...he just has a couple formations he gets in. Also as of late he is seeing less and less snaps on offense...I'm pretty sure he didn't see one against Nebraska.

bored of education
11-09-2007, 10:04 AM
I think he is the number 2 CB worthy of a top 15 pick

Smokey Joe
11-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Hell, in his first year we can develop as a nickel back and even line up at wideout every once in a while. But I think he won't be drafted until the 20-31 range.

vatech=accdomination
11-09-2007, 11:19 AM
if dallas drafts him i will be pissed. i think he is overated and i would rather spend it on offense.

thule
11-09-2007, 02:46 PM
if dallas drafts him i will be pissed. i think he is overated and i would rather spend it on offense.

ya who would want to upgrade our 17th overall pass defense when we could upgrade our #2 rated offense....!!!

thule
11-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Hell, in his first year we can develop as a nickel back and even line up at wideout every once in a while. But I think he won't be drafted until the 20-31 range.

That's what Charles Woodson and Champ Bailey said coming out....look at them both....their is so much a CB needs to know before he can start adding that into his game. Neither player got one snap on offense his rookie year...it's not like Grueden or Kubiak didn't understand...it's just that CB is a big learning curve and don't want to slow the progression by bringing on too much.

If Talib runs in that 4.40-4.44 range he'll have every chance to go top 15...but if he is closer to that 4.5 I think that 25-35 range is more likely.

Travis 24
11-09-2007, 03:50 PM
No one can throw on him..regardless of what his 40 time says, he knows how to cover anyone..and is a great athlete.

thule
11-09-2007, 04:17 PM
No one can throw on him..regardless of what his 40 time says, he knows how to cover anyone..and is a great athlete.

Well I'm pretty sure that he got thrown on multiple times in the Nebraska game. Don't get me wrong I love the kid...but to say noone can throw on him is a straight homer statement.

Babylon
11-09-2007, 05:45 PM
That's what Charles Woodson and Champ Bailey said coming out....look at them both....their is so much a CB needs to know before he can start adding that into his game. Neither player got one snap on offense his rookie year...it's not like Grueden or Kubiak didn't understand...it's just that CB is a big learning curve and don't want to slow the progression by bringing on too much.

If Talib runs in that 4.40-4.44 range he'll have every chance to go top 15...but if he is closer to that 4.5 I think that 25-35 range is more likely.

He's just a football player, speed isnt exactly one of his strong suits, he covers and he hits hard. If he runs better than a 4.55 at the combine i'll be shocked. I'd take him anyways.

JhawkFitness
11-11-2007, 05:42 PM
He's just a football player, speed isnt exactly one of his strong suits, he covers and he hits hard. If he runs better than a 4.55 at the combine i'll be shocked. I'd take him anyways.

http://www.bonnersprings.com/section/sports/story/11013

But he had to slow himself for a moment. It was 2006 when Talib ran the team's fastest 40-yard dash. This year during the spring season, he was the silver medalist to senior receiver Marcus Henry.

"Actually, this year ‘Mute' (Henry) ran the fastest 40. Mute ran the 4.39 or something like that, I ran the 4.41 or something like that," Talib said. "But last spring, I ran the 4.39 and Mute ran the 4.44 or something like that.

"But if we raced in the 40, I'd get him."

Babylon
11-11-2007, 06:07 PM

Sorry if i'm a little skeptical of self annointed 40 times, Talib got torched by Jordy Nelson when they played KSU(look it up on youtube), if he runs anything near a 4.3 then Nelson is the worlds fastest human and i dont think that's the case.

JhawkFitness
11-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Sorry if i'm a little skeptical of self annointed 40 times, Talib got torched by Jordy Nelson when they played KSU(look it up on youtube), if he runs anything near a 4.3 then Nelson is the worlds fastest human and i dont think that's the case.
OK lets consider a few things;

1) Nelson was reported to have run a 4.37 his sophomore season.
2) That you appear to seriously be comparing a play that occured during the game of football to a straight ahead sprint event? Go take a look on Youtube (I saw the game live) and tell me if Talib has his balance at the point that Jordy catches the ball and starts running.

adschofield
11-11-2007, 10:46 PM
I believe that Talib said he was staying for his senior year, right?

JhawkFitness
11-11-2007, 10:48 PM
I believe that Talib said he was staying for his senior year, right?
He and AC both mentioned coming back but keep in mind AT has a kid to support and the money for a Day 1 pick is very good. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him leave.

adschofield
11-11-2007, 10:51 PM
He and AC both mentioned coming back but keep in mind AT has a kid to support and the money for a Day 1 pick is very good. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him leave.

Wow...if both AC and AT stay...we could be a lot better next year...I heard incoming freshman Kale Pick might graduate in December and go to Lawrence early...any truth to this?

JhawkFitness
11-12-2007, 12:21 AM
Wow...if both AC and AT stay...we could be a lot better next year...I heard incoming freshman Kale Pick might graduate in December and go to Lawrence early...any truth to this?

I believe Jayhawkslant.com had an interview with him recently where he mentioned that he was undecided about graduating early.

Babylon
11-12-2007, 08:17 PM
OK lets consider a few things;

1) Nelson was reported to have run a 4.37 his sophomore season.
2) That you appear to seriously be comparing a play that occured during the game of football to a straight ahead sprint event? Go take a look on Youtube (I saw the game live) and tell me if Talib has his balance at the point that Jordy catches the ball and starts running.

I was just pointing out the youtube clip for anyone that wanted to check it out, I think if you go back and read my responses you'll see i like the guy, just doesnt appear we're talking a burner. I'll stay with my mid 4.5 times for the combine, time will tell.

bigboiajhawk
11-14-2007, 04:02 AM
All i know is that when he read the jailbreak screen play and took Adarius Bowman out for the game and the rest of the year he showed me why he was getting all the hype he is, he has amazing size too

KaneMarko
11-14-2007, 08:37 AM
I think he is the number 2 CB worthy of a top 15 pick

Being a Mizzou fan I am contractually obligated to dislike everything KU. But even I have to admit, Talib is pretty impressive. He doesn’t look as good as Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson did when they came out. But the kid has major game. I hate to admit it but I think he’d look real good playing for the Chiefs. Course, my Chiefs better be going O-Line in the 1st round if at all possible.

osi+ap=allshallperish
11-14-2007, 09:16 AM
a slower and bigger Aaron Ross?

VoteLynnSwan
11-14-2007, 09:36 AM

yea, he ran like a 4.41 or somethin like that.

kennyb
11-14-2007, 09:49 AM
a slower and bigger Aaron Ross?

I thought the knock on Ross was that he had no experience/ instincts etc.

Is Talib good at man on man, good ball skills, etc? I would think he would know what's going on if he plays WR too.