PDA

View Full Version : ESPN 2007 NFL Re-Draft

Bootland27
11-08-2007, 11:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=3098817&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos2

Don't know if anyone caught this, but looking at how things might change if the slate were wiped clean and the NFL held a re-draft today.

Russell still the #1 for Oakland

McShay thinks taking CJ is still the right move for us (not AP like some others in the media think).

But the similarities end there. He's got AP goin to cleveland. Can you guys imagine, that passing offense + the NFL's leading rusher???? How sick would that have been??????

But more on us, in the 2nd round (43rd), instead of Stanton, he thinks that Trent edwards would've been the better pick (so do I).

Instead of IAF (58th), he has us taking McCauley, and by the final 2nd round pick where we had selected Alexander, he has us taking Martrez Milner with the 61st pick (TE) as Alexander has already gone to the Rams at 52.

WMD
11-09-2007, 02:38 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=3098817&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos2

Don't know if anyone caught this, but looking at how things might change if the slate were wiped clean and the NFL held a re-draft today.

Russell still the #1 for Oakland

McShay thinks taking CJ is still the right move for us (not AP like some others in the media think).

But the similarities end there. He's got AP goin to cleveland. Can you guys imagine, that passing offense + the NFL's leading rusher???? How sick would that have been??????

But more on us, in the 2nd round (43rd), instead of Stanton, he thinks that Trent edwards would've been the better pick (so do I).

Instead of IAF (58th), he has us taking McCauley, and by the final 2nd round pick where we had selected Alexander, he has us taking Martrez Milner with the 61st pick (TE) as Alexander has already gone to the Rams at 52.

Well, who knows if Cleveland would have the offense that they have without Joe Thomas.. and I agree, Trent Edwards would've been a much, much better pick than Stanton..

Addict
11-09-2007, 04:58 AM
Trent Edwards does look a lot better. But really we haven't seen Stanton play, so I'm holding out on judging him.

TacticaLion
11-09-2007, 07:17 AM
and I agree, Trent Edwards would've been a much, much better pick than Stanton..We don't know that yet. Considering how deep Martz's offense is, I'd rather have our rookie QB on the bench anyway.

The coaches love Stanton, so I'm ready to give him a chance.

(I'd much rather have IAF/Alexander than McCauley/Milner... especially with how our defense has played this year.)

asmitty45
11-09-2007, 10:30 AM
I like the McCauley swap if we cant get Gerald, but im not sold on milner we dont use the TE anyways

P-L
11-09-2007, 12:46 PM
I love CJ, but I'd probably rather have Joe Thomas. Except for the first game, Thomas has been excellent. Put him at LT and move Backus over to RT (where he'd probably be more effective) and our run blocking and pass blocking improve. We'd still have Roy Williams, Mike Furrey, and Shaun McDonald as our receivers and likely a running game that is better than it is now.

ironman4579
11-09-2007, 01:15 PM
I think I'd probably prefer Thomas as well. He's been a stud so far(outside of the first game). Hell, Cleveland even moves him over to the right side sometimes when they want to run that way. I'm not that big on the Milner pick, since as has been stated, I don't think we use the TE enough to justify it anyway.

TacticaLion
11-09-2007, 01:16 PM
I love CJ, but I'd probably rather have Joe Thomas. Except for the first game, Thomas has been excellent. Put him at LT and move Backus over to RT (where he'd probably be more effective) and our run blocking and pass blocking improve. We'd still have Roy Williams, Mike Furrey, and Shaun McDonald as our receivers and likely a running game that is better than it is now.

True... but, imagine what CJ will be like when he actually understands the offense.

Roy and CJ... to completely dominant WRs... McD and Furrey in the slot. Just crazy.

LionSmack
11-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Hindsight is 20/20, but hindsight after 8 weeks is more like 20/60.

BrownsTown
11-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Ugh...why don't people realize how good Thomas has been this year? He means too much to the team to take AD over him.

ironman4579
11-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Ugh...why don't people realize how good Thomas has been this year? He means too much to the team to take AD over him.

I've been thinking that myself. Joe Thomas has been amazing, and even without a truly great running game, the Browns have still had an explosive offense. Without Thomas and with AD, yes the running game would likely be better because of a better back(but the run blocking would have been worse. Who would have been playing LT for the Browns anyway?) but I can't see the passing game being nearly as good simply because of the loss of a guy that's been great in protection. Personally, if I'm saying I'd like to have Thomas, I can't imagine the Browns passing on him.

We've also got to think, one reason AD slid a bit was because of injury concerns. Yes, he hasn't been hurt, but after half a season, I don't think you can dismiss those concerns just yet. He was relatively healthy his freshman year in college as well.

BrownsTown
11-09-2007, 02:26 PM
I've been thinking that myself. Joe Thomas has been amazing, and even without a truly great running game, the Browns have still had an explosive offense. Without Thomas and with AD, yes the running game would likely be better because of a better back(but the run blocking would have been worse. Who would have been playing LT for the Browns anyway?) but I can't see the passing game being nearly as good simply because of the loss of a guy that's been great in protection. Personally, if I'm saying I'd like to have Thomas, I can't imagine the Browns passing on him.

We've also got to think, one reason AD slid a bit was because of injury concerns. Yes, he hasn't been hurt, but after half a season, I don't think you can dismiss those concerns just yet. He was relatively healthy his freshman year in college as well.

Exactly, I've seen so many people say that they should pick AD since paired with the passing game it'd be amazing. First of all, he would have no place to run. Shaffer at LT is not good at all. And 2nd, that passing game is also not the same. Thomas apparantly hasn't given up a sack all year (I thought I remembered him giving one up to the Steelers, but w/e), and you can bet whoever played LT instead of him would give up more than 0.

Bootland27
11-09-2007, 09:27 PM

Well, how does Tony Ugoh sound, instead of Brady Quinn? Thats what it was in the re-draft.

Xiomera
11-09-2007, 09:31 PM
CJ is great. No doubt about it.

It's hard to say now that we should have taken Thomas though. No one here could have expected Shaun McDonald to be such a good contributor. Nor did we expect Backus to struggle so much.

Barbecue Bob
11-10-2007, 08:38 PM
In my opinion the Lions really screwed up once again by drafting a wide receiver in the first round. As stated Joe Thomas and AD are already studs in the league, and sure CJ has been hurt but still, any WR can succeed in Martz's offense. As evidence by Shaun McDonald who always had success in his system. You just need a lot of speed guys to run Martz's system. The Lions should of taken Thomas and signed someone like Kevin Curtis is the offseason.

Xiomera
11-10-2007, 10:10 PM
In my opinion the Lions really screwed up once again by drafting a wide receiver in the first round. As stated Joe Thomas and AD are already studs in the league, and sure CJ has been hurt but still, any WR can succeed in Martz's offense. As evidence by Shaun McDonald who always had success in his system. You just need a lot of speed guys to run Martz's system. The Lions should of taken Thomas and signed someone like Kevin Curtis is the offseason.

The Lions tried like hell to sign Curtis. Philly gave him a better chance to win, so he chose them over us, despite the fact that Martz's system suited him perfectly.

It's easy to sit here now and say the Lions screwed up, but CJ was the unanimous choice for best player in the draft, and we were praised by all in taking him.

TacticaLion
11-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Martz wont be here forever... and might not be here for another season. We can't build our team on the hopes that one coach decides to stay.

AD is a stud in this league... we know this... the concern with him wasn't his talent, but his upright running style (which leads to injuries) and his previous injury history. He's 8 games into his professional career... i'll need to see years, not games, before I question the decision. (We also already have KJones... WR was much more of a need at the time.)

Drafting OT was a tough decision in the draft. We already had (have) Backus signed to a long, expensive deal and traded for Foster in the offseason. Sure, hindsight tells you that Thomas is a huge upgrade over Foster... but getting a dominant 4 WR set was more important than adding players to a crowded position.

Although it wasn't my first choice, CJ has changed my mind about everything. He's a smart, hard working kid with incredible talent and character... and he'll be here for a while. It doesn't matter which coaches leave the team... he'll be a stud regardless.

CJ was the right choice.