PDA

View Full Version : Could Chris Long play ILB in 3-4?

kennyb
11-09-2007, 08:18 AM
Maybe a dumb question, but most MLBs are too small to play in the 3-4.

6'4" 260 would work. OF course there's a learning curve but if you can take on blockers and have intelligence, it would be a good start. He's listed as 280, but I don't know if that's exaggerated or even if so, it might be easy to lose 20 pounds.

Smokey Joe
11-09-2007, 08:31 AM
OLB in a 3-4, perhaps. ILB in a 3-4, I highly doubt it.

D-Rod
11-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Well, he possibly could, so it's not a totally ridiculous suggestion... but why take the risk when he could be an elite 4-3 DE or even a 3-4 OLB?

Don Vito
11-09-2007, 09:33 AM
He is a devastating pass rusher and putting him at 3-4 ILB would take that aspect of the game almost entirely away. He is a 4-3 LE to me and that is really it, he has good size, strength, and athleticism and is also strong against the run and can get at the QB better than almost everyone in the country.

I do not see him anywhere in the 3-4, whether it be DE, OLB, or ILB. He is a great pass rusher who can stop the run, but putting him at 3-4 DE would take away from his major strength-getting to the QB. He can play the run well but I do not see him as a 3-4 ILB, plus he wouldn't be able to get to the QB too much. We don't even know if he can play man or zone coverage consistently either. His best shot in the 3-4 imo is at OLB, but still I like him best at 4-3 LE. He is a balanced DE who can do it all, no matter where you put him in a 3-4 in the NFL you will take away from one of his strengths.

D-Rod
11-09-2007, 10:59 AM
I'd actually quite like Long at RDE. He's not got elite speed, but as you say, he still excels at getting to the QB. Add to that his strength against the run, and you've got a two-way RDE which is fairly rare in the NFL.

Having a well-balanced front four is essential, and Long would be the ultimate balanced RDE. You could even shift him over to LDE on passing downs to bring in a pure pass rusher at RDE.

senormysterioso
11-09-2007, 12:08 PM
didn't he play DE in virginia's 3-4?

HoopsDemon12
11-09-2007, 12:17 PM
He is a devastating pass rusher and putting him at 3-4 ILB would take that aspect of the game almost entirely away. He is a 4-3 LE to me and that is really it, he has good size, strength, and athleticism and is also strong against the run and can get at the QB better than almost everyone in the country.

I do not see him anywhere in the 3-4, whether it be DE, OLB, or ILB. He is a great pass rusher who can stop the run, but putting him at 3-4 DE would take away from his major strength-getting to the QB. He can play the run well but I do not see him as a 3-4 ILB, plus he wouldn't be able to get to the QB too much. We don't even know if he can play man or zone coverage consistently either. His best shot in the 3-4 imo is at OLB, but still I like him best at 4-3 LE. He is a balanced DE who can do it all, no matter where you put him in a 3-4 in the NFL you will take away from one of his strengths.

This hit hte nail on the head, i agree with this.. i think he is to small to be a 3-4 DE in the pro's. Some places have him listed at 260... thats 4-3 end all the way brah

kennyb
11-09-2007, 12:54 PM

Very good answer.

I wonder who the Pats will get, if anyone, to play ILB next year. Wish they drafted Harris last year.

no love
11-09-2007, 01:49 PM

First, there are no dumb questions... unless they involve crazy trade scenarios that only happen in madden.

There have been players like Bruschi (i think) and Vrabel who have had success in moving from end in college to ILB in the 3-4. But Don Vito makes a great point that this takes away from what he does best.

Plus, in the 3-4 most ilb are required to be able to cover a TE or a back in the flat. I don't think he has the speed to beat a back to the edge.

Don Vito
11-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Yea our 4 starting LBs played DE in college (Vrabel, Colvin, Bruschi, and Adailus) but I don't really see Long fitting into the DE/OLB/ILB mold. He is too good with his hand down to risk it.

Babylon
11-09-2007, 05:50 PM
The Cowboys tried to move Randy White, who was a great DE in college, to mlb and he bombed, when they moved him to a tackle position he went on to be one of the great tackles in NFL history. Dont be trying to mess with guys position too much. And yes i do see a little bit of Randy White in Chris Long.

TACKLE
11-09-2007, 05:53 PM
For some reason everybody has this idea that if you can rush the QB and you play DE, you can play OLB in a 3-4. He's 6'4 285 and plays DE/DT. He can take on double teams and rush the passer. No way he would ever play ILB in a 3-4!!! The only thing he'd be in a 3-4 is a DE which is what he is now. 285 pound players don't play Linebacker.

Babylon
11-09-2007, 05:57 PM
For some reason everybody has this idea that if you can rush the QB and you play DE, you can play OLB in a 3-4. He's 6'4 285 and plays DE/DT. He can take on double teams and rush the passer. No way he would ever play ILB in a 3-4!!! The only thing he'd be in a 3-4 is a DE which is what he is now. 285 pound players don't play Linebacker.

I think it was just a topic of converation, nobody is moving Chris Long to linebacker.

On a somewhat unrelated note i was reading his younger brother might be a better athlete but he is going to play baseball next year at FSU, at 6-7 and 280. Howie seems to know what he's doing there down on the farm.

Mr. Stiller
11-09-2007, 09:34 PM
3 guys that play DL that might be solid ILB/OLB's in the 3-4..

Titus Brown, DE, Mississippi State ~ Reminds me a lot of Kirkland

Eric Foster, DT, Rutgers ~ his motor and explosion, along with 2 years beating OL on the line.. he could make a solid buck if he still has his MLB skills from the 6 years prior to him being a DT.

Jason Jones, DE/DT, Eastern Michigan ~ I don't think he's too tall (Vrabel?) at 6'5 but he's nearly impossible to stop as a NT in a 4-3 at 6'5 272lbs. Just imagining OL not being used to his strength at the second level makes me wonder.

11-09-2007, 09:44 PM
u dont wanna screw around with a talent like this one...he should remain on the D-Line where teams could use his versatility to create matchup problems. future perennial pro bowler.

Joeyjr09
11-09-2007, 09:56 PM

couldn't agree more. Great post. I think Long is perfect as a 3-4 DE. He has good size althought putting on 6-8 pounds wouldn't hurt and he has such a well rounded game for that spot. He is excellent at taking on blockers and would do great against the run but I think what makes him devastating is his ability to get after the passer. 3-4 DE generally do not get much pass rush, they take up blockers for the LBs to make the sacks. I think Long could be one of the rare few who could get to the QB while also taking on the block, he is that good a pass rusher.

You'd have to pick your poison if your a LT. Either you block Long and pray your RB or TE is able to pick up the blitzing LB or you force Long inside to your LG while you pick up the Backer and pray that the LG can handle Long who is solid enough to get good push from inside if forced in that direction. He is a mismatch nightmare for the OL to block and generates alot of options as for blitzing 3-4 teams simply because there's very few people his size that can get off the edge the way he can.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-10-2007, 09:33 AM
I wouldn't experiment on him at all unless maybe 3 years into his career and he isn't doing like we expect at DE, then maybe you can try but right now you don't change him at all.

TimD
11-10-2007, 09:43 AM
If you take a 6'5'' 250 lbs who excels as a DE and move him to ILB in the 3-4, if he's athletic enough can he make the transition? I'm talking about in general not specifically Long...

nvot9
11-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Here's a more important, realistic question...Can Chris Long play a 3-4 DE in the NFL? This is really the only reason why he would not be the first player on every Jets fans to draft list, noone's sure if he's big enough. I know he plays it, and plays it damn well in college, but you have to remember he's not necessarily playing at 280, it's prolly closer to 260 if anything, and that's not gunna cut it in the NFl.

TimD
11-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Here's a more important, realistic question...Can Chris Long play a 3-4 DE in the NFL? This is really the only reason why he would not be the first player on every Jets fans to draft list, noone's sure if he's big enough. I know he plays it, and plays it damn well in college, but you have to remember he's not necessarily playing at 280, it's prolly closer to 260 if anything, and that's not gunna cut it in the NFl.

To tell you the truth I don't think the Jets should draft him because there are questions about where he'd fit in the 3-4. Right now we should only be looking at guys that we definitely KNOW fit the 3-4...

Smokey Joe
11-10-2007, 09:57 AM
I think Chris Long can play 3-4 DE in the NFL.

Also, speaking of 3-4 ILB, I think J Leman is a pretty good fit.