PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye to a football Landmark

Finsfan79
11-09-2007, 08:41 AM
I have walked into Yankee Stadium durring a world series. I have walked into Fenway durring a yankees vs red sox game. I have walked into the Icy Tundra for Green Bay and stepped into Cowboys stadium when Miami was there years ago.

There are few places though which hold the memories and traditions of the Orange Bowl. Be it from actions within college football (multiple National championship games for around 14 of them, around 20s in NFL future HoF played there often). To pro football and some of the biggest Moments ever seen in the history of our great sport. All were done within the old OB.

Perhaps this is not a concern or even remembered by a lot of folk here. a lot werent born when the last great NFL game was played there. But it is the same as the Rose Bowl or other great stadiums of the past that are now going by the wayside.

The Orange Bowl this weekend hosts it's last game ever. It will be the last time that smoke will fill the corridor and teams shall charge out onto the field. That the small section for the canes (which is very close to the field will be filled up). It will be the last time that the Metal stands will rattle as feet pound and the whole place Echos in a terrifying fashion.

Just sorta a sad moment imo and figured it deserved some notice for the giant place that held many of our greatest memories in pro and college football.

RIP Orange Bowl

Here is an article about the OB and the future demolishing for those that might wish a read.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking_news/story/300837.html

clip of the article:

No venue in South Florida -- or in the entire Southeast -- has played host to more big games, big names and memorable moments than the Orange Bowl.

It was within the hallowed confines of the OB where Dan Marino shattered NFL single-season passing records, where the Hurricanes claimed the first, second and fourth of their national titles, where Joe Namath quarterbacked the greatest upset in Super Bowl history, where Lynn Swann secured maybe the greatest catch in Super Bowl history, where errant attempts befell hard-luck Florida State kickers, and where Satchell Paige drew the largest crowd ever to witness a minor-league baseball game.

Five Super Bowls have been played there -- tied with the Rose Bowl for second-most behind the Superdome in New Orleans. The includes Super Bowl III -- the New York Jets' 16-7 win against Baltimore -- which is considered the most famous upset in the game's history.

The Dolphins played their first 21 years at the OB, including the only undefeated season in NFL history (1972) and Dan Marino's record-breaking 48-touchdown masterpiece in 1984, before the team relocated to Dolphin Stadium in 1987.

But so much of the Orange Bowl's history is linked to college football, not only the Canes, but also the Orange Bowl Classic. Fourteen national champions were crowned at the OB before the game relocated to Dolphin Stadium in 1996.

For Hurricanes fans, none of the games at the OB was more meaningful than UM's 31-30 victory against heavily-favored Nebraska in the Jan. 1, 1984 game -- a win that gave the Hurricanes their first national title.

None were more jaw-dropping than Doug Flutie's 46-yard ''Hail Flutie'' pass that landed in the arms of Gerard Phelan and gave Boston College a 47-45 win over the Hurricanes on Nov. 23, 1984, in the most replayed ending in college football history.

Not sure if this is the right place but I felt it deserved some notice and I doubted the National Press would say anything for most folks.

B-Dawk
11-09-2007, 08:46 AM
it will be missed but i dont think its up there with the rest of those stadiums

BigDawg819
11-11-2007, 06:50 PM
The Orange Bowl holds no significance to me so I really don't care that its getting tore down.

EdReedUnstoppable
11-11-2007, 06:53 PM
The Orange Bowl holds no significance to me so I really don't care that its getting tore down.

Um excuse me sir, Maryland's comeback win over Miami is legendary!!!!

Babylon
11-11-2007, 06:54 PM
The Hurricanes and the Dolphins closed it out in style, must be the curse of Ray Finkel.

BigDawg819
11-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Um excuse me sir, Maryland's comeback win over Miami is legendary!!!!

You're excused. Besides if I were to recall a memory from the Orange Bowl it would be a Florida State win over Miami, certainly not a Maryland one.

TimD
11-11-2007, 07:11 PM

As a football fan, you should respect it. If you're a fan of football you should respect its history and the OB has held a ton of football history like FinsFan said. Its wrong to say "i don't care"

KILLERSANTA
11-11-2007, 07:16 PM
There are 3 times in your life when you are allow to cry............

Orange Bowl getting tore down......
Kobe Bryant retires
When Jessica Simpsons remarry

SeanTaylorRIP
11-12-2007, 02:28 PM
I will always remember the Orange Bowl, not for the Dolphins, or the U, but for UVA beating them 48-0 in it's last game of existence!!!

KILLERSANTA
11-12-2007, 08:30 PM
I will always remember the Orange Bowl, not for the Dolphins, or the U, but for UVA beating them 48-0 in it's last game of existence!!!

If someone kills you in your sleep. It wasn't me.....

litlharsh
11-12-2007, 08:33 PM
There are 3 times in your life when you are allow to cry............

Orange Bowl getting tore down......
Kobe Bryant retires
When Jessica Simpsons remarry

And Adrian Peterson suffering a season ending injury.

KILLERSANTA
11-12-2007, 08:50 PM
And Adrian Peterson suffering a season ending injury.

Good point, I forgot that one......Good thing he's only out for a few weeks. Or I would of cried 2 times in 1 week......

brat316
11-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Orange Bowl was fall apart to crap. One thing I don't like is college teams moving to nfl stadiums. I think college stadiums are built for a college atmosphere for students and comradrie. Look at the difference of how NFL stadiums are built and college, yes more techonlogy, but you know...