PDA

View Full Version : Best players 23 and under.

Jakey
11-09-2007, 06:16 PM
I've seen this done just for top 10 defence, so i thought i'd give it a go for both...there was far too many offensive players to narrow it down to 10...so i'm gonna do top 20. Players are elligable if they are under 24...I am only going to include players that have actually made an impact already i.e not Jamarcus Russel etc...Here goes:

DEFENCE:

20- Marlin Jackson: Probably the most fishy pick ;)
19- Justin Tuck: Underrated DE, is a monster...and should eventually take Michael Strahans throne in New York.
18- LaRon Landry: Great physical attributes...tons of upside.
17- Mathias Kiwanuka: Better suited as a DE, but still a great passrusher.
16- Elvis Dumervill: Passrushing machine...but not much upside.
15- Barrett Ruud: Tackling Machine...should only improve.
14- Paul Posluzny: Was playing great before he got injured...tough, blue-coller player...should be solid for years to come.
13- Omar Gaither: Vastly underrated player...deserves some props.
12- AJ Hawk: All round good player, should be a pro-bowler for years.
11- Tommie Harris: Great DT, could be higher than this..but AD's trashing of the Bears has lowered my rating of them.
10- Luis Castillo: Prototypical 3-4 DE, solid against the run, and a good lane plugger.
9- DeAngelo Hall: Great corner, great returner...not such a great team player.
8- Amobi Okoye: A 19 year old pro...with great physical tools, miles of upside.
7- Thomas Howard: Underrated linebacker...i don't know how much upside he's got...but he is more proven than some of the other 'backers
6- Patrick Willis: Biggest playmaker for poor San Fran team...front runner for DPOY.
5- Sean Taylor: Finally living up to expectations, great hitter...finally grew a pair of hands!
4- Haloti Ngata: Tough, mean player...great in both the 3-4 and 4-3.
3- Shawne Merriman: Elite Passrusher...not so good against the run or pass...but he is improving. He could easily be No1...but the 'roids put me off.
2- Ernie Simms- Human torpedo...as fast as that crazy bit at the end of a washing cycle, tackles everything.
1-Drum roll please........DEMECO RYANS!!!: One of the smartest players i have seen, diagnoses plays quicker than a greased shitsu...tackles everything, and he is still improving.

Honerable mentions: David Harris, Anthony Smith, Antoine Bathea, Antonio Cromartie, Jon Beason. I missed of Kamerion Wimbley...he would be on that list somewhere.

OFFENCE:

20- Derek Anderson: A player on target for 40 TD's can't be left off.
19- Nick Mangold: Regardless of the Jets struggles, Mangold should be a great centre for years to come.
18- Marques Colston: Was great last year, and is still good this year.
17- Matt Leinart: Has all the tools to be a franchise QB, and with abit more coaching he could be great.
16- Santonio Holmes: Has been solid for his first 2 seasons, and will only get better.
15- Mo Jo Drew: Runs like a bowling ball, and is allways a threat to score.
14- Marion Barber: Touchdown machine, runs with good power.
13- Vince Young: Reigning OROY, great running threat...not proven as a passing QB.
12- Reggie Bush: The prospect of the Millenium!...erm, i'm not concvinced.
11- Vernon Davis: Could be the best TE prospect i've ever seen, physical beaster...allways injured :rolleyes:
10- Jay Cutler: Might be abit high...but i believe he has the oppertunity to be the next elite gunslinger.
9- Frank Gore: Was a beast last year, thread running and recieving...but also injured.
8- Calvin Johnson: The best WR prospect in the last decade, but still hasn't made much of an impact...Injured.
7- Kellen Winslow: One of the best recieving tight ends in the league, will only get better.
6- Larry Fitzgerald: Awsome reciever, one of the best in the league.
5- Joseph Addai: Great young runner, good reciever aswell.
4- Joe Thomas: Successfull teams start in the trenches, and Joe Thomas should be a pro-bowler for years to come.
3- Steven Jackson: Physical specimen, when he's healthy...and got an O-Line, he is one of the best playmakers in the game.
2- Braylon Edwards: As much as i don't like putting all these Brownies in here, i cant deny that Braylon is the next big thing at WR.
1- Drum roll please...........ADRIAN PETERSON!!!: Awsome player, has allready taken LT's place as the most respected RB in the game... and is on pace to smash rookie running records. If he can stay healthy he will be one of the best backs in the league...if not the best.

Honerable mentions: Tony Ugoh, Lendale White, Dwayne Bowe, Greg Jennings. I missed of Marshawn Lynch...he would definately fit in there somwhere.

If your dissapointed that your team hasn't got many players on the list...dont worry it probably just means you've got better veterans :)

p.s It took me ages to do this...so please dont be hating if i missed some1 off...i really didnt mean to.

Michigan
11-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Marlin, Harris, and Braylon makin me proud =)

neko4
11-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Shouldnt Anderson be top 5?

Moses
11-09-2007, 06:28 PM
A lot of those guys are 24 or older...

Jakey
11-09-2007, 06:29 PM
A lot of those guys are 24 or older...

Who? (10 Char')

Moses
11-09-2007, 06:33 PM
Who? (10 Char')

Braylon Edwards
Sean Taylor
Steven Jackson
Marion Barber
Frank Gore
Kellen Winslow

off the top of my head...

Moses
11-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Tommie Harris is too. Hell, I would be surprised if even half those guys are 23 or under.

SuperMcGee
11-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Who? (10 Char')

All the Cleveland guys, Fitz, Harris, plenty more

Born in 83 = most likely over 23

scottyboy
11-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Brian Leonard is the best player ever, and he's 23 and under

Eaglez.Fan
11-09-2007, 06:35 PM
AJ Hawk>Omar Gaither

Jakey
11-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Dang! Thats the last time i use fox sports as a reference...i looked through every teams rosters individually aswell. ****

GB12
11-09-2007, 06:38 PM
AJ Hawk>Omar Gaither
Definitely.

am only going to include players that have actually made an impact already i.e not Jamarcus Russel etc...
Then why is Posluzny at 14?

Moses
11-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Your rankings are pretty wonky as well. Sean Taylor is easily the best defender on that list. Tommie Harris is way too low as well. Quite a bit I disagree with.

Ewing
11-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Did you seriously put Omar Gaither over A.J. Hawk?

Jakey
11-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Did you seriously put Omar Gaither over A.J. Hawk?

...........No :D

Bills2083
11-09-2007, 07:29 PM
You should put Lynch on there somewhere.

LonghornsLegend
11-09-2007, 07:33 PM
The first name that popped into my head when I read the name of the thread was Antonio Cromartie, surprised his name wasnt mentioned more

BrownsTown
11-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Not to sound homerish, but Matt Leinart and Vince Young are both struggling mightily where Derek Anderson is on pace for 40 TDs, as you mentioned. I don't see how you could put Leinart ahead of him at all, and put Vince ahead of him because Vince has a good defense. Just my opinion.

zoinks
11-09-2007, 08:43 PM
My homer pick: Titans' CB Cortland Finnegan. Plays like Rodney Harrison, but runs like DeAngelo Hall.

BlindSite
11-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Pouz is a bum compared to Jon Beason. Who should be high on that list.

Man_Of_Steel
11-09-2007, 10:08 PM
No Wimbley????????????

Chucky
11-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Barret Ruud> Omar Gaither without a doubt

NYGibril28
11-09-2007, 10:18 PM
diagnoses plays quicker than a greased shitsu

Whaaaat???

Joeyjr09
11-09-2007, 10:21 PM
My homer pick: Titans' CB Cortland Finnegan. Plays like Rodney Harrison, but runs like DeAngelo Hall.

Damn, must be the next Deion Sanders.

Pit Bull #53
11-09-2007, 10:24 PM

More like Blaine Bishop with corner skills

Caddy
11-09-2007, 11:16 PM
Omar Gaither ahead of Barrett Ruud?

Aftermath
11-09-2007, 11:17 PM
No offense, but this list is bad.

Ewing
11-10-2007, 02:23 AM
Not to sound homerish, but Matt Leinart and Vince Young are both struggling mightily where Derek Anderson is on pace for 40 TDs, as you mentioned. I don't see how you could put Leinart ahead of him at all, and put Vince ahead of him because Vince has a good defense. Just my opinion.

Vince and Leinart aren't even under 23.

Wyndham
11-10-2007, 06:19 AM
Horrible defensive list. Thomas Howard at #6? One of the worst LBs in the NFL against the run. Guys like AJ Hawk, Castillo and Tommie Harris are FAR superior to him.

Jakey
11-10-2007, 07:14 AM
These are the players that i chose from...if any1 else would like to give it a try...i'd be interested what you thought. I looked at the rosters on 'fox sports.com' and it said all of these players were 23 or younger...but looking on other websites, i can safely say that Fox is wrong...but hell. I also missed Kamerion Wimbley+Marshawn Lynch, they would definately be on that list aswell.

OFENCE:

Larry Fitzgerald
Trent Edwards
Samson Satele
Laurence Maroney
Kellen Clemens
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Nick Mangold
Braylon Edwards
Kellen Winslow
Derek Anderson
Joe Thomas
Santonio Holmes
Joseph Addai
Tony Ugoh
Mo Jo Drew
Vince Young
Lendale White
Jay Cutler
Brandon Marshall
Dwayne Bowe
Vincent Jackson
Marcus McNiel
Marion Barber
Winston Justice
Greg Olsen
Calvin Johnson
Greg Jennings
Adrian Peterson
Joe Staley
Vernon Davis
Frank Gore
Steven Jackson
Jerious Norwood
DeAngelo Williams
Reggie Bush
Marques Colston
Matt Leinart
Levi Brown
Marshawn Lynch- Missed off by mistake

Jakey
11-10-2007, 07:17 AM
DEFENCE:

Paul Posluzny
Ellis Hobbs
Brandon Merriweather
Davis Harris
Haloti Ngata
Robert Gaethers
Anthony Smith
DeMeco Ryans
Amobi Okoye
Antoine Bathea
Marlin Jackson
Elvis Dumervil
Thomas Howard
Shawne Merriman
Antonio Cromartie
Luis Castillo
Mathias Kiwanuka
Justin Tuck
Omar Gaither
Sean Taylor
Laron Landry
Tommie Harris
Ernie Simms
AJ Hawk
DeAngleo Hall
Jon Beason
Barrett Ruud
Patrick Willis
Kamerion Wimbley-missed off by mistake

Sveen
11-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Derek Anderson:
Born: 6/15/1983 (Age: 24)

Jakey
11-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Derek Anderson:
Born: 6/15/1983 (Age: 24)

haha i know...on fox sports it said all of these players are under 24...they need to update thier website! :o

PoopSandwich
11-10-2007, 10:27 AM
I think Kellen is 24 but I could be wrong.

Scarface
11-10-2007, 10:36 AM
I think Kellen is 24 but I could be wrong.

No they cancelled his birthday when he crashed his motorcycle. He is 23.

Geo
11-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Cold.

Joseph Addai is also 24. (http://www.nfl.com/players/josephaddai/profile?id=ADD152616) (He was a redshirt senior at LSU).

kmartin575
11-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Bowe should easily be on that list. Who cares what Calvin Johnson COULD potentially do. The fact is, Bowe is outproducing him this year despite the fact he is in one of the worst offenses in the league.

BrownsTown
11-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Bowe should easily be on that list. Who cares what Calvin Johnson COULD potentially do. The fact is, Bowe is outproducing him this year despite the fact he is in one of the worst offenses in the league.

Hasn't Johnson been fighting injuries this year?

SuperMcGee
11-10-2007, 10:43 PM
DEFENCE:

Paul Posluzny
Ellis Hobbs
Brandon Merriweather
Davis Harris
Haloti Ngata
Robert Gaethers
Anthony Smith
DeMeco Ryans
Amobi Okoye
Antoine Bathea
Marlin Jackson
Elvis Dumervil
Thomas Howard
Shawne Merriman
Antonio Cromartie
Luis Castillo
Mathias Kiwanuka
Justin Tuck
Omar Gaither
Sean Taylor
Laron Landry
Tommie Harris
Ernie Simms
AJ Hawk
DeAngleo Hall
Jon Beason
Barrett Ruud
Patrick Willis
Kamerion Wimbley-missed off by mistake

Come on man, Donte Whitner.

DaBears9654
11-10-2007, 11:08 PM
No Wimbley????????????
I just looked on the Browns' site and he just barely doesn't qualify, having turned 24 on Oct. 13.

Born: 11/4/1982 Riviera Beach , FL
That right there is the only reason Devin Hester isn't on this list. Like the Bears' radio play-by-play announcer said, "Devin Hester, you are ridiculous!"

11-10-2007, 11:13 PM
whoa dwayne bowe nowhere to be seen on the offensive list

kmartin575
11-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Hasn't Johnson been fighting injuries this year?

And Bowe missed most of our last game with a hamstring injury that held him to zero catches.

I just don't think that really matters. So far Calvin Johnson has really proven nothing. Bowe has been by far the most impressive rookie wide receiver IMO and he deserves to be on the list.

Just a matter of opinion though.

bearsfan_51
11-11-2007, 11:03 AM
You have Tommie Harris at 11 (which is a joke by the way) because of the way AD shredded our defense. Yet you have Luis Castillo and Shawn Merriman ahead of him, despite the fact that AD made the Chargers defense look even worse.

Thinking before you speak/spell might help next time.

Geo
11-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Amazing that Steven Jackson is in his fourth year in the league yet only 24 years old (http://www.nfl.com/players/stevenjackson/profile?id=JAC560875). I still don't understand how he fell to the 24th overall pick in 2004.

S-Jax is signed through 2008 on his rookie contract, the Rams will extend him soon enough after having taken care of Bulger.

ncst8fan83
11-11-2007, 11:25 AM
coughcoughmariowilliamscoughcough

Geo
11-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Funny how those who ran their darn mouths about Mario Williams/Reggie Bush after Week 1 aren't saying squat now. Yeah, better to keep your mouths shut.

ncst8fan83
11-11-2007, 12:20 PM
what is there to say? they're both good. end of story.

Jakey
11-11-2007, 03:53 PM
You have Tommie Harris at 11 (which is a joke by the way) because of the way AD shredded our defense. Yet you have Luis Castillo and Shawn Merriman ahead of him, despite the fact that AD made the Chargers defense look even worse.

Thinking before you speak/spell might help next time.

Good point...but it was pretty hard to pick from all of those players, they are all great...but i wouldnt complain about being in the top 11 out of how many players???

nobodyinparticular
11-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Horrible defensive list. Thomas Howard at #6? One of the worst LBs in the NFL against the run. Guys like AJ Hawk, Castillo and Tommie Harris are FAR superior to him.

You're on crack. Howard is one of the better young LBs in the league.

osi+ap=allshallperish
11-11-2007, 05:07 PM

He may be on crack but the fact remains, Thomas Howard is "One of the worst LBs in the NFL against the run"

mqtirishfan
11-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Funny how those who ran their darn mouths about Mario Williams/Reggie Bush after Week 1 aren't saying squat now. Yeah, better to keep your mouths shut.

Bush certainly hasn't proved Houston wrong. Mario plays very well against the run, and has 4 sacks in 8/9 games. Bush has made about a similar impact.

kmartin575
11-11-2007, 11:17 PM

Sure he is.

LonghornsLegend
11-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Once again Cromartie stepped up, he's breaking out right before our eyes

kmartin575
11-12-2007, 12:22 AM
Once again Cromartie stepped up, he's breaking out right before our eyes

Maybe.

But even an average safety like Greg Wesley has had a 3 interception game before. San Diego's defense still blows as a whole.

kmartin575
11-12-2007, 12:23 AM
Dwayne Bowe just proved why he should be on the list. He had his second 100+ yard game of the season and is now at 604 yards. He is easily outperforming Calvin Johnson despite being on just about the worst offense in the league.

ks_perfection
11-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Instead of doing best 23 and unders it would be simplier and less confusing to have best 2nd year and rookies.

Shiver
11-12-2007, 12:33 PM

Because Mario Williams is still better than Reggie Bush so why keep beating the same horse?

Ewing
11-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Because Mario Williams is still better than Reggie Bush so why keep beating the same horse?

I'm done arguing for Reggie Bush. He's taking too damn long. Eventually I think he'll be a good player but right now he's average. I still think Houston should have gone with Young, though. I know they signed Carr to that extension but how long did that last? A year?

JK17
11-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Maybe.

But even an average safety like Greg Wesley has had a 3 interception game before. San Diego's defense still blows as a whole.

San Diego's defense has played well in four of the last five games, and is the reason they won last night in combination with the special teams...they let up 14 points, to an admitedly depleted, but still Indy offense, with Addai, Wayne and Peyton Manning still in place, not to mention 6 interceptions...they don't "blow". They aren't spectacular, but its not like they are terrible.

Cromartie has also played well in the past 3 games, not just this one, although had an admittedly slow start, seems to be well on his way to becoming a great corner. He is getting a bit overhyped, but as far as players 23 and under go, he's breaking out just as much as anyone else...

Nitschke-Hawk
11-12-2007, 02:25 PM
How about this. Just do it 24 and under, re do it all nice and stuff and include our input. It could be a sort of group project, official NFLDC 24 and under roster.

kmartin575
11-12-2007, 03:45 PM
San Diego's defense has played well in four of the last five games, and is the reason they won last night in combination with the special teams...they let up 14 points, to an admitedly depleted, but still Indy offense, with Addai, Wayne and Peyton Manning still in place, not to mention 6 interceptions...they don't "blow". They aren't spectacular, but its not like they are terrible.

Cromartie has also played well in the past 3 games, not just this one, although had an admittedly slow start, seems to be well on his way to becoming a great corner. He is getting a bit overhyped, but as far as players 23 and under go, he's breaking out just as much as anyone else...

You argued your point well and you convinced me. Well done.

marks01234
11-13-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm done arguing for Reggie Bush. He's taking too damn long. Eventually I think he'll be a good player but right now he's average. I still think Houston should have gone with Young, though. I know they signed Carr to that extension but how long did that last? A year?

Right now Bush is somewhere in between the Brian Westbrook of a few years ago and Larry Centers. I'm not sure that he will ever be a top 10 back.

Vince Young looks pretty bad too. He is really proving my orginal thought - that he was the second coming of Vick, minus the off the field problems. Opposing defenses have done a much better job schemeing against him and his arm is being exposed. I'm not sure that he will ever be a top 10 QB. I'd take Matt Schuab over VY without hesitation.

Right now, I firmly believe the Texans made the right choice with Mario. In time, the only guy I really think they may regret not selecting is D'Brickshaw.

For the draft that was supposed to be the best in ages - it's actually been pretty medicore. I would only say Hawk and Whitner have lived up to their top ten expectations with close consideration to Sims.

mchesnu
11-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Ernie Sims has been a man-beast this year. Much better year than Hawks, IMO.

Scotty D
11-13-2007, 12:02 PM
He may be older but Tony Scheffler is impressive this year. Why did they sign Graham to the highest paid TE contract? I knew Scheffler was going to be good.

bored of education
11-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Brodie Croyle

d34ng3l021
11-13-2007, 01:12 PM
I think Hall might need to be a bit higher. He is still 23 (turns 24 in 6 days) and already has 2 pro bowls under his belt, is in his 4th season, and is having his best year by far.

kmartin575
11-13-2007, 02:52 PM
He may be older but Tony Scheffler is impressive this year. Why did they sign Graham to the highest paid TE contract? I knew Scheffler was going to be good.

He doesn't even have 200 yards. That isn't exactly impressive IMO.

Splat
11-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Brodie Croyle

Just stop...

:)

mqtirishfan
11-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Ernie Sims has been a man-beast this year. Much better year than Hawks, IMO.

Much better is a stretch.

Scotty D
11-13-2007, 04:43 PM
He doesn't even have 200 yards. That isn't exactly impressive IMO.

Box scores = best way to judge talent.

The Legend
11-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Antonio Cromartie

11-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Antonio Cromartie

maybe at this time next year he can be on this list. hes got one career start under his belt in both college and the NFL. no doubt hes a physical specimen like ive never seen before at that position tho.