PDA

View Full Version : HinesWardJr Mock Draft

Hines
11-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Round 1: Reggie Smith CB Oklahoma
While cornerback isnt a real glaring need, I think Smith is too good to pass up. He brings saftey size (6-0 195) and corner speed and coverage. He's a ballhawk and can support the run. He's also a threat to score everytime he touches the ball.

Round 2: Chris Williams OT Vanderbilt
With all the tackles that could declare, I believe that Williams will be around in the second round. He has seen his stock sky rocket up since last year when he shuts down SEC ends. He could sit behind Marvel for a year and then take his spot.

Round 3: Jerome Simpson WR Costal Carolina
He is a real sleep this year that could see his stock rise a lot if he gets invited to the combine. From what I have read, he has 11-inch hands with a 43 inch vertical with a 6-2, 185 pound body. Its also rumored that he runs a sub to mid 4.4. Those are some impressive numbers and he would make a great redzone target his rookie season as well as developing as a number 2 behind Holmes.

Round 4: Trevor Laws DE Notre Dame
The only true player on that Irish defence. He lacks in size to play 3-4 tackle, so he will move to the end where i believe he is better then Mcbean, who we drafted last year in this spot. Laws is great against the run, as he is a terror in the backfield (9.5 tackles behind los last year). Possibly have him on the practice squad for a year and he will be better then Eason and Kirchke.

Round 5: Wallace Gilberry OLB Alabama
While there isnt much value here for a outside backer, I believe Gilberry could suprise some people. He doesnt have great speed, but he gets in the backfield effectively and disrupts the run. He has the same build as Woodley and I belive he could be a good pass rusher in time.

Round 6: Josh Johnson QB San Diego
Batch isnt going to play forever, so it will be good to develop a quarterback behind Ben. Johnson has a good arm and put up solid numbers at San Diego. He doesnt have great size, but I dont think he will ever be a starter in the NFL. Will take the Saints job as a rookie.

Some UDFA's we could look at possibly:

Brian Witherspoon CB Stillman-great speed, can return kicks and punts and use his speed effectively

Rudy Burgess WR/KR/PR Asu- he is very versitile as he moved around a lot as a Sun Devil. I think his main position is reciever and he can return kicks. He does have a injury history though.

Man_Of_Steel
11-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Only one o-lineman taken is troublesome. Simpson in the third is way to fragile a WR for us. I dont see the point of developing a rookie QB into a backup when we only need vet QBs behind Big Ben.

Smooth Criminal
11-10-2007, 01:37 PM
We have Starks and Faneca leaving and Essex needs to be replaced. More than 1 OL is needed for that.

I really don't like corner in the first round. At this point since we don't even know where we will actually be picking I think it is more appropriate to draft for need than draft for value.

OL in the first round is an absolute must. We need a guy to come in and start at one of the guards immediately.

neko4
11-10-2007, 01:42 PM
yall seem so sure that faneca is leaving

Smooth Criminal
11-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Faneca is gone. If they were planning on keeping him they would have gotten a deal done before this year started. They don't typically resign big name players once they hit the market.

Plus at this point I don't even want Faneca back for the kind of money he's gonna demand. He has been inconsitent all year and doesn't deserve the amount of money he is going to make by what he used to be.

I.e. - Joey Porter

Hines
11-10-2007, 01:46 PM
what we need is depth...

we have kemo and simmons who i believe can start
and we have after this mock, williams and colon
with mahan at center

we need depth and backups which we can sign cheap fa's or sign with udfas

we have some backups, but i think we go for the huge lineman next year

Man_Of_Steel
11-10-2007, 01:50 PM
what we need is depth...

we have kemo and simmons who i believe can start
and we have after this mock, williams and colon
with mahan at center

we need depth and backups which we can sign cheap fa's or sign with udfas

we have some backups, but i think we go for the huge lineman next year

Whys that exactly?

Smooth Criminal
11-10-2007, 09:20 PM
We will need lineman to replace Starks, Faneca, and Essex on the line. We typically don't sign many fas so these players will most likely come from the draft.

I think Smith-Kemoeatu- Mahan- Simmons- Colon will be our starting line next season but after that Smith and Kemo will be FAs and we relaly don't have any depth behind these players. Anywhere. Only place we even have a backup is at center after we lose Faneca, Starks, and Essex. I want a first round tackle or guard to replace Smith or Faneca/Kemoeatu.

TerribleEd
11-10-2007, 09:50 PM
We will need lineman to replace Starks, Faneca, and Essex on the line. We typically don't sign many fas so these players will most likely come from the draft.

I think Smith-Kemoeatu- Mahan- Simmons- Colon will be our starting line next season but after that Smith and Kemo will be FAs and we relaly don't have any depth behind these players. Anywhere. Only place we even have a backup is at center after we lose Faneca, Starks, and Essex. I want a first round tackle or guard to replace Smith or Faneca/Kemoeatu.

Those could be the starters on the o-line, but I think you have the guards mized up. The more mobile Simmons would take over Faneca's spot at LG, while Kemo would move into the RG spot which requires more straight ahead blocking.

I understand why the Steelers did not want to risk going into next season with no returning starters at OG, but man do I wish we had not resigned Simmons the way he's been playing. If Colon's ultimate position is at Guard like many of us believe, then I am not sure if we resign Kemo or not. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

And also, Kemo is a RFA this coming offseason.

Mr. Stiller
11-10-2007, 09:53 PM
I was talking to Ian Whetstone (SCI Steelers Capologist) says..

we have enough money to sign Ben to a Contract similar to Romo (even if we gave him about 5-8M More).. Sign 2-3 BIG NAME FA's( or some mid-teir and top tier FA's), and the rookies.

So we could potentially .. .draft 5-7 Rookies, sign a couple guys (Albert Haynesworth? Imagine him as a 3-4 DE)...

I'm looking at
Randy Starks(TEN),
Keyaron Fox(KC),
Karlos Dansby(ARI),
Darryl Blackstock(ARI~RFA)
Jerome Mathis (HOU~RFA)
Michael Boley (ATL ~ RFA) ~ ILB.
Stacy Andrews (CIN)
Justin Smith..

Imagine if We had Justin Smith as a 3-4 DE.

Mr. Stiller
11-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Those could be the starters on the o-line, but I think you have the guards mized up. The more mobile Simmons would take over Faneca's spot at LG, while Kemo would move into the RG spot which requires more straight ahead blocking.

I understand why the Steelers did not want to risk going into next season with no returning starters at OG, but man do I wish we had not resigned Simmons the way he's been playing. If Colon's ultimate position is at Guard like many of us believe, then I am not sure if we resign Kemo or not. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

It's a double edged-sword..

Kemo will get a 1 year RFA tender.. if he plays great, he could bolt in UFA.. if he doesn't, why re-sign him.

Man_Of_Steel
11-10-2007, 09:56 PM

we have enough money to sign Ben to a Contract similar to Romo (even if we gave him about 5-8M More).. Sign 2-3 BIG NAME FA's( or some mid-teir and top tier FA's), and the rookies.

So we could potentially .. .draft 5-7 Rookies, sign a couple guys (Albert Haynesworth? Imagine him as a 3-4 DE)...

I'm looking at
Randy Starks(TEN),
Keyaron Fox(KC),
Karlos Dansby(ARI),
Jerome Mathis (HOU~RFA)
Stacy Andrews (CIN)
Justin Smith..

Lotta othersd to retain first though. Haynesworth would be lights out.

Smooth Criminal
11-10-2007, 10:00 PM
I'd love to land a big name fa lineman but we won't. We have alot of money to work with but we typically just don't get into bidding wars for the top FAs.

I'd like to see us sign a new slot reciever and a top tier guard. Other than that I say save the money. I wouldn't want a RFA cause we'd lose picks. One of the guys you listed I could see us going for is Stacey Andrews if he isn't extended in Cincy.

Smooth Criminal
11-10-2007, 10:03 PM

Thats why I said he'd be a FA with Smith who has this year plus one more left. Thats the same Kemo has after we offer him the 1 year deal RFAs get.

Simmons has looked pretty weak this year. I wouldn't mind seeing him slide over to LG like you said, start Colon at RG, and either draft or sign a RT.

Smooth Criminal
11-10-2007, 10:06 PM

We really don't have that many people that need to be locked up. Obviously Ben. I'd like to see Colon get extended but probably not until after next season. McFadden is RFA this year I think so I'd love to see him get extended aswell. Other than that we have everyone I want to keep on this team for alot of years. I think Haggans and Marvel Smith are our next big names with contracts up and I'm expecting them to both get let go when their contracts are gone.

Mr. Stiller
11-10-2007, 10:07 PM

Like Who?

Brian St. Pierre
Dan Kreider
Alan Faneca
Chris Kemoeatu ~ RFA
Trai Essex ~ RFA
Max Starks
Nick Eason..

Who of those do you really think we need to retain?

I mean, I'd take Kreider and Faneca back.. but I don't think it'll happen.

Same with Starks, Eason and and Pierre.

Kemo and Essex seems like the only ones back. I'd love to see Starks at LG and Kemo at RG.

Then in 2009:

Charlie Batch
Najeh Davenport
Cedrick Wilson
Willie Colon ~ RFA
Marvel Smith
Clint Kreidwaldt
Allen Rossum.
Trai Essex
Chris Kemoeatu

So it looks like..

Backup QB
#2 RB
#4/#5 WR
RT
LT
Backup Buck
KR/PR

over the next 2 years.

I see:

Marvel, Willie, Kemo coming back.

That can be handled with a few moderate signings..

Kreidwaldt for Keyaron Fox
Faneca for Stacy Andrews
Najeh Davenport for 2009 Rookie
Trai Essex for Marvel Smith/2008 LT
Cedrick Wilson for 2008/2009 rookie/Bernard Berrian/Patrick Crayton/Brandon Stokley
Charlie Batch for Kelly Holcomb.

And we can work Aaron Smith into a reserve role with the addition of Albert Haynesworth.

Man_Of_Steel
11-10-2007, 10:09 PM
We really don't have that many people that need to be locked up. Obviously Ben. I'd like to see Colon get extended but probably not until after next season. McFadden is RFA this year I think so I'd love to see him get extended aswell. Other than that we have everyone I want to keep on this team for alot of years. I think Haggans and Marvel Smith are our next big names with contracts up and I'm expecting them to both get let go when their contracts are gone.

I was mistaken my bad. Could this be the year the Steelers make a FA splash?????????

Mr. Stiller
11-10-2007, 10:10 PM

Marvel will be 30 when his contracts up, I see him being re-signed for another 2-3 years to train a rookie.

Mr. Stiller
11-10-2007, 10:19 PM
I was mistaken my bad. Could this be the year the Steelers make a FA splash?????????

I still don't see them doing it.

I see us getting guys like..

Randy Starks, NT, Tennessee
Keyaron Fox, LILB, Kansas City
Stacy Andrews, OT/OG, Cincinnati

I think it would leave still enough room for a awesome signing or 2.. say..

Justin Smith of Cincy (Who I think would make a solid 3-4 DE, or a 4-3 DE when/if we switch)
Terrell Suggs of Baltimore

or one of the Colts guards ( I do think Lilja is very good.)

Hines
11-10-2007, 10:31 PM
why dont we franchise faneca

Smooth Criminal
11-10-2007, 10:40 PM
The Steelers really don't like to do that. They sign deals and either let players hit the market or extend them. Last one I can think of is Gildon.

Smooth Criminal
11-10-2007, 10:43 PM
I still don't see them doing it.

I see us getting guys like..

Randy Starks, NT, Tennessee
Keyaron Fox, LILB, Kansas City
Stacy Andrews, OT/OG, Cincinnati

I think it would leave still enough room for a awesome signing or 2.. say..

Justin Smith of Cincy (Who I think would make a solid 3-4 DE, or a 4-3 DE when/if we switch)
Terrell Suggs of Baltimore

or one of the Colts guards ( I do think Lilja is very good.)

I don't think Suggs is worth it. Woodley and Harrison can handle OLB and Suggs really has dropped off since his rookie year.

I don't think we'll make any huge FA signing. Its just not how the Steelers do business. We'll get a few low key guys that will come in and help like Wilson, Clark, and Mahan over the past few years but the core of our team is built through the draft.

I'm sticking with that I want to sign a reciever and one OL. I think the draft can handle everything else.

Mr. Stiller
11-10-2007, 10:56 PM
I don't think Suggs is worth it. Woodley and Harrison can handle OLB and Suggs really has dropped off since his rookie year.

I don't think we'll make any huge FA signing. Its just not how the Steelers do business. We'll get a few low key guys that will come in and help like Wilson, Clark, and Mahan over the past few years but the core of our team is built through the draft.

I'm sticking with that I want to sign a reciever and one OL. I think the draft can handle everything else.

thers no good WR's.. i want Starks, Fox & Andrews.. unless they realize Arnold Harrison could be an awesome Buck

TheWood56
11-11-2007, 12:16 AM
why dont we franchise faneca

I don't think that would be such a good idea. Remember Faneca earlier in the season, how angry he was at the Steelers because they couldn't work out a deal together. He also said that this was his last year in Pittsburgh. Now, unless Faneca has calmed down some, and would like to play under Tomlin for the next few years of his career, I really think it would be best to just let him go via FA. I'd imagine Faneca would be quite annoyed if he got the franchise tag and couldn't get his last huge contract on the open market, and I just can't see the Steelers doing that to him anyway.

DeathbyStat
11-11-2007, 06:55 AM

I'm looking at
Randy Starks(TEN),
Keyaron Fox(KC),
Karlos Dansby(ARI),
Jerome Mathis (HOU~RFA)
Stacy Andrews (CIN)
Justin Smith..

I'd say pick one of those guys because we only seem to spend on one free agent a year. I think Mathis would be a good pick because Rossum hasn't been very good on kick returns.

DeathbyStat
11-11-2007, 07:04 AM
Like Who?

Brian St. Pierre
Dan Kreider
Alan Faneca
Chris Kemoeatu ~ RFA
Trai Essex ~ RFA
Max Starks
Nick Eason..

Who of those do you really think we need to retain?

I mean, I'd take Kreider and Faneca back.. but I don't think it'll happen.

Same with Starks, Eason and and Pierre.

Kemo and Essex seems like the only ones back. I'd love to see Starks at LG and Kemo at RG.

Then in 2009:

Charlie Batch
Najeh Davenport
Cedrick Wilson
Willie Colon ~ RFA
Marvel Smith
Clint Kreidwaldt
Allen Rossum.
Trai Essex
Chris Kemoeatu

So it looks like..

Backup QB
#2 RB
#4/#5 WR
RT
LT
Backup Buck
KR/PR

over the next 2 years.

I see:

Marvel, Willie, Kemo coming back.

That can be handled with a few moderate signings..

Kreidwaldt for Keyaron Fox
Faneca for Stacy Andrews
Najeh Davenport for 2009 Rookie
Trai Essex for Marvel Smith/2008 LT
Cedrick Wilson for 2008/2009 rookie/Bernard Berrian/Patrick Crayton/Brandon Stokley
Charlie Batch for Kelly Holcomb.

And we can work Aaron Smith into a reserve role with the addition of Albert Haynesworth.

Sorry but none of this will likely happen it not the steelers way of doing things. And i'm not saying there bad moves.

DeathbyStat
11-11-2007, 07:09 AM
Is haggans contract up after this year?

He will surely be cut when his contract is up

Smooth Criminal
11-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Haggans is gone after this year and will be replaced by Woodley.

I think we only need two fas. We need at OL with Faneda, Starks, and hopefully Essex leaving we will need 3 OL man. 1 fa and 2 from the draft.

The next needs to be a reciever. We need better depth behind Ward and Holmes.

Well get two low key fas that will play key roles. The draft is where the Steelers get their stars.

skarocksoi
11-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Haggans is gone after this year and will be replaced by Woodley.

I think we only need two fas. We need at OL with Faneda, Starks, and hopefully Essex leaving we will need 3 OL man. 1 fa and 2 from the draft.

The next needs to be a reciever. We need better depth behind Ward and Holmes.

Well get two low key fas that will play key roles. The draft is where the Steelers get their stars.

The sound you hear is a nail being hit on its head. I could easily see us doing exactly what was described there. I doubt we could pick up haynesworth, the market would be way to big for him. Maybe Justin Smith, but I doubt he'd want to take a backup or split time role with anyone else on the D-line. If we are going to shell out cash for a FA, let it be someone to bolster the O-line.

Also, does anybody think we could maybe resign Faneca? I know we dont normally sign people at the end of their contracts and I know he said he wasnt going to come back. But with the way we are playing now, I wonder if we go far in the playoffs, will Faneca reconsider? Throw in the fact that his play isnt up to its normal standards in a contract year, you have to wonder if people will be throwing rediculous money at an aging lineman.

Smooth Criminal
11-11-2007, 07:41 PM
I don't think Faneca wants to hear it from the Steelers at all. I think he just wants to be out of here after this season. He feels he was mistreated not getting offered a huge extension.

Only other FA I could see us going after is a backup DE. Definately not someone the calibur of Justin Smith or Haynesworth though. I'm think more of Tommey Kelly or Randy Starks.

skarocksoi
11-11-2007, 07:45 PM
I know he said he doesnt want to come back, but I can't help but think that time with Tomlin and a strong playoff run could change his mind. Plus, the front office said they offered him a good contract, and I think he wanted a steve hutchison kind of contract, which is why he was upset. If the market isnt there, maybe he backpedals and takes what we offered. This is all probably wishful thinking, but why would you want to leave a good team that needs you for a crappy team that offers you a couple million more?

Mr. Stiller
11-12-2007, 10:10 AM
I know he said he doesnt want to come back, but I can't help but think that time with Tomlin and a strong playoff run could change his mind. Plus, the front office said they offered him a good contract, and I think he wanted a steve hutchison kind of contract, which is why he was upset. If the market isnt there, maybe he backpedals and takes what we offered. This is all probably wishful thinking, but why would you want to leave a good team that needs you for a crappy team that offers you a couple million more?

FO offered 3 yr - 21M about 10 Guaranteed..

He wanted 3 yr - 28 M about 15 Guaranteed.

Theres a bit of discrepency there.