PDA

View Full Version : Jack Ikegwuonu

Go Cowboys
11-10-2007, 02:19 PM
What does everyone think of Jack Ikewonnu CB, Wisconsin? He seems to be a lockdown corner from what I ahve seen, and looks to rival Malcom Jenkins as the top Junior. I was just wanting some others opinions on him.

sodar21
11-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Perhaps the best CB in the nation.

And its Jack not Jake.

thule
11-10-2007, 02:59 PM
If he can run a sub 4.45 this year if he is to declare...he should be a top 20 pick. He does have stupid character concerns which could make him a sketchy first round pick...but I think his timed speed is the biggest question.

PACKmanN
11-10-2007, 03:01 PM
doesn't he play in a cover 2? so how would he fit a 4-3 CB? he should be moved to Safety.

remix 6
11-10-2007, 05:46 PM
If he can run a sub 4.45 this year if he is to declare...he should be a top 20 pick. He does have stupid character concerns which could make him a sketchy first round pick...but I think his timed speed is the biggest question.

they were talking about it during the game..asked about his 40 and he pointed at a wall or something and it said 4.28 timed by coaches.

wiscbadgerfootball
11-10-2007, 05:59 PM
well I can tell you this much.. Jonathan Casillas was said to be clocked at 4.38 which was said to be the second fastest on the team, behind Ike

remix 6
11-10-2007, 06:03 PM
well I can tell you this much.. Jonathan Casillas was said to be clocked at 4.38 which was said to be the second fastest on the team, behind Ike

u sure it was 4.38 and not 4.28?

i thought i heard 28

wiscbadgerfootball
11-10-2007, 06:04 PM
no way Casillas ran a 4.28 or did you not read what I said?

GB12
11-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Being a Wisconsin fan I've liked him for a long time, but I've recently come to the conclusion that I want him on the Packers. If we want to continue with this coverage after Harris is done Ike is a great fit to replace him. After shutting down Hardy and Manningham(the 97 yard TD was hardly his fault) I'm sure he's getting interst from many teams.

Also you butchered his name: Jack Ikegwuonu

remix 6
11-10-2007, 06:15 PM
no way Casillas ran a 4.28 or did you not read what I said?

wups i mean Jack was 4.28...or were they talking about Castillas being a 4.38 ?

Race for the Heisman
11-10-2007, 07:22 PM
During the game it was intimated that the Wisconsin coaches had times Ikegwuono at 4.28. As for the legitimacy of such, I don't know, but I do know he has impressed my greatly every time I've seen him and he's definitely, without question a first rounder. Whether or not he is the best in his class I'm not sure because while he shuts everything down when thrown at, Jenkins hardly even seems to be thrown at, so I'm not sure who's better at this point, but JI has been more visibly impressive, at least to me.

BerninWI
11-10-2007, 08:09 PM
A few comments:

1. I've heard lower 4.3's as far as speed is concerned. It really doesn't matter at a certain point (low 4.4's maybe). He's never had an issue getting burned deep by receivers. He has fluid hips, superb anticipation, and exceptional strength.

2. The Badgers usually play man to man coverage, rather than cover 2. They showed why on that 97 yard reception by Manningham.......

3. Therefore that play wasn't primarily Ikegwuonu's fault. That was safety Shane Carter's responsibility when he got behind Jack, but he reacted very poorly.

4. He was beaten by Manningham on one of the TD's when he fell down trying to make the tackle. The same occurred against Robiskie last week. But those are uncharacteristic. He's a great tackler.

5. He absolutely owned receivers last season, so it's ironic he's getting more credit this season. Not that he still hasn't been excellent, and isn't deserving of being selected in the first couple rounds, but here are his thoughts on the season.......

6.http://blogs.jsonline.com/badgers/archive/2007/11/07/a-glimpse-into-ikegwuonu-s-future.aspx "I'll be the first one to say the year hasn't gone as well as I've wanted it to. But that's football. You've got to get up and play the next play and play the next game.

"I don't want to shed too much light on what's going to happen at the end of the season but obviously things didn't go my way.

"I wish I could go back to a few games this year and do some things differently. But you've just got to be mature about it."

"If I can play well against Michigan and we can win these last three games it will be a 10-win season. I think about things like that. It would easy to forget about the bad things that happened this year."

7. Jeff Potrykus of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel predicts that Ikegwuonu will return to Wisconsin for his senior season. However, he's been wrong frequently.

He's been distracted I believe by his legal problems at times. There have been a plethora of other little issues like: cramping, sicknesses, minor injuries, etc. He began this season 12 pounds lighter than last, but has added some of the weight back. IMO, if he stays another year, he has as good of a chance as any to win the Thorpe.

Woody56
11-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Manningham got TD's off him today

GB12
11-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Manningham got TD's off him today
One was a two yard catch that he missed the tackle, then Manningham went ten into the endzone with no one challenging him. The other he was in cover two and more of the safeties fault. Ike didn't get a good jam on him, but Carter definitely should have at least taken him down.

CARDIAC CAT 7
11-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Ikegwuonu could play in either a Cover 2 or a normal set, he is at his best at the line of scrimmage jamming wideouts, but when asked to play off he has a great knack for playing the ball when thrown at. Hes 40 time isnt going to be below a 4.35, he doesnt seem that fast, but he has that competitive speed where if someone is running hes right with him ever time.

GB12
11-11-2007, 01:19 AM
Ikegwuonu could play in either a Cover 2 or a normal set, he is at his best at the line of scrimmage jamming wideouts, but when asked to play off he has a great knack for playing the ball when thrown at. Hes 40 time isnt going to be below a 4.35, he doesnt seem that fast, but he has that competitive speed where if someone is running hes right with him ever time.
He's definitely man coverage. His talent would be wasted in a cover 2.

bigboiajhawk
11-14-2007, 03:55 AM
If I am not mistaken wasnt it Jack who ran down Darren McFadden, pretty much saving the bowl game last year, so there is definetly no question about his speed, everyone is so concerned with the 40 yard dash, its a good range about a players speed if any player runs in the low 4.4's they are fast enough to play in the nfl, too much hype on the 40, look at ahmad carroll a few years back, i think he was the fastest corner in the draft now hes not even playing in the league at all

Sniper
11-14-2007, 11:04 AM
One was a two yard catch that he missed the tackle, then Manningham went ten into the endzone with no one challenging him. The other he was in cover two and more of the safeties fault. Ike didn't get a good jam on him, but Carter definitely should have at least taken him down.

I was just going to say that Ikegwuonu got a terrible jam on Manningham, who isn't exactly Terrell Owens' size.

T.Smith
11-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Iky(yes I call him Iky, I have no idea why) is a Great CB. Him and Malcolm Jenkins are the #1 and #2 CB's easily imo(that is unless either have horrible combines). I have a feeling think that Both Cb's are going to be in the NFL elite.

BroadwayJoe10
11-16-2007, 09:54 PM
He is definately at the top of a very deep CB class this year. And he did poorly jam manningham on that one play, but that happens every once in a while and for the most part he excells at jamming the reciever and being able to run with him. Seems to have ridiculous closing speed, as previously mentioned by running down dmac.

I am not sure of the legal matters. Is it somethin insignificant or something much more serious like domestic abuse?

GB12
11-16-2007, 10:20 PM
He is definately at the top of a very deep CB class this year. And he did poorly jam manningham on that one play, but that happens every once in a while and for the most part he excells at jamming the reciever and being able to run with him. Seems to have ridiculous closing speed, as previously mentioned by running down dmac.

I am not sure of the legal matters. Is it somethin insignificant or something much more serious like domestic abuse?
He stole an Xbox from someone's house with his brother. That is the only thing he has done in his 4 years at Wisconsin and I'm pretty sure he was clean through highschool aswell. People keep saying that he has character concerns, but I really don't see it as a problem.

T.Smith
11-16-2007, 10:25 PM
He stole an Xbox from someone's house with his brother. That is the only thing he has done in his 4 years at Wisconsin and I'm pretty sure he was clean through highschool aswell. People keep saying that he has character concerns, but I really don't see it as a problem.

Isn't it clear? He is stupid. Why would you steal an X-box? Playstation is where it's at. :)

zjstratton
11-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Ikegwuonu can be a first round pick if he can run a good 40. he will probably be one of the top three corners taken in the first round.

Sniper
11-16-2007, 11:16 PM
Ikegwuonu can be a first round pick if he can run a good 40. he will probably be one of the top three corners taken in the first round.

Well he's been timed at 4.28. If he runs that, he could be the first corner off the board.

toonsterwu
11-16-2007, 11:26 PM
I've got him as a late first/early 2nd, but if he does run this superb time people are expecting, then he'll rocket up ... provided that he can convince folks his arrest last year was a one time mistake.

TACKLE
11-17-2007, 02:20 AM
Ikegwuonu 4.3 speed is legit. Watch him catch DMac from behind at 1:25 in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhItkOUYa5c

BadgerMike
11-19-2007, 07:10 PM
I've got him as a late first/early 2nd, but if he does run this superb time people are expecting, then he'll rocket up ... provided that he can convince folks his arrest last year was a one time mistake.

Wisconsin is nortorious for having a very fast track (indoors) where the players run. 4.35 is more like his actual time.

Ike had his worst day at Minnesota ( Although he did take a punch to the groin from a Minn WR early in the game). I will say it is 50/50 chance he comes out. I know he is not happy with his play this season.

bored of education
11-19-2007, 08:04 PM
How about him on the Chiefs? lol

princefielder28
11-19-2007, 08:32 PM
Wisconsin is nortorious for having a very fast track (indoors) where the players run. 4.35 is more like his actual time.

Ike had his worst day at Minnesota ( Although he did take a punch to the groin from a Minn WR early in the game). I will say it is 50/50 chance he comes out. I know he is not happy with his play this season.

As a person that sat above and watched the game, he didn't play bad at all. The Badgers played alot of zone coverage and Ike wasn't put up on the line against Decker too much

dcarey20
11-19-2007, 09:10 PM
You certainly have to like the way he's been playing this year. I like him as a late first right now, but as has been mentioned, if he runs well it will really help.

kennyb
11-20-2007, 09:30 AM
What a terrible mistake he made....breaking into someone's house? What?

Sounds "minor" but I could see some teams not wanting to draft him the 1st round for that...bad publicity, hard to explain that....people hate thieves.

BadgerMike
11-20-2007, 08:17 PM
He was visiting his brother who attends (NIU). The brother wanted retrieve a friends XBox and knew the guy had borrowed it. Thus they entered without permision. His brother is claiming he went into the apartment and Jack never entered the premises. But the owner states he saw Jack inside. Not quite sure what to make out of this. It has been 1 year already and no charges filed. Jack has a clean record at this time with no history of trouble.

BadgerMike
11-20-2007, 08:20 PM
As a person that sat above and watched the game, he didn't play bad at all. The Badgers played alot of zone coverage and Ike wasn't put up on the line against Decker too much

Well your giving a totally different point of view than what is being discussed on the Wisconsin Scout and Rival boards.