PDA

View Full Version : NFL wants officials to eject players for illegal hits ...LINK

Bills2083
11-10-2007, 04:23 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7430214?MSNHPHMA

Helmet-to-helmet hits to draw ejections
Associated Press, Updated 3 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) - The NFL has told its officiating crews to start ejecting players for flagrant helmet-to-helmet hits.

The new policy was outlined Saturday in a memo from supervisor of officials Mike Pereira, which was obtained by The Associated Press. It followed two fines last weekend for what the officiating department had determined were hits against players in defenseless positions.

One fine was against Washington Redskins (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/67062) safety LaRon Landry (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/469517), who will forfeit a game check of $16,764 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on New York Jets (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/67057) quarterback Kellen Clemens (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/401319). The other was against Philadelphia defensive tackle LeJuan Ramsey, who was fined his game check of $21,176 for spearing Dallas' Julius Jones (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/200271).

Two weeks ago, San Diego cornerback Drayton Florence (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/140493) was fined $15,000 for a helmet-to-helmet hit that gave Houston quarterback Matt Schaub (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/200237) a concussion.

"Officials will be reminded this week to pay strict attention to these rules and disqualify the fouling player if the action is judged to be flagrant," Pereira wrote in the memo sent to the 32 NFL teams. "Actions that involve flagrant helmet to helmet contact are the likely acts that will include disqualification. Our commissioner and this office remain very focused on the safety of our players."

In the memo fining Landry and Ramsey, NFL director of football operations Gene Washington said emphasis would be on hits against players in defenseless positions.

Landry previously was fined $7,500 for two unnecessary roughness violations on Oct. 21 against Arizona. Ramsey was fined $5,000 on Oct. 14 for roughing the passer against the Jets (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/67057).

After Florence was fined, the Texans (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/67071) complained that the punishment wasn't severe enough.

"We are disappointed in the sense that we have lost our starting quarterback for at least one game after the player took the crown of his helmet and delivered an illegal blow to Matt's jaw and the fine levied is only a small fraction of the player's weekly pay," general manager Rick Smith said.

"Is that equitable? The punishment doesn't appear to fit the crime when all factors are considered."

neko4
11-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Well I think they should, atleast for a quarter or so

The Unseen
11-10-2007, 04:39 PM
This could get out of hand if the hits are wussy calls on QBs.

The Dynasty
11-10-2007, 04:42 PM
I guess if the player had a chance to tackle the QB without the helmet and he hits helmet to helmet i guess thats alright but if he didnt then let them play.

Its football ffs, Big hits are apart of Football. Players know this, i know they are trying to protect the players but anyone can injuried on any hit not just helmet t o helmet.

Shahin
11-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Does anyone else hate how football is continually pussifying?*

*Pussifying - The act of becoming more *****-like.

Crazy_Chris
11-10-2007, 05:30 PM
I would agree with this rule on the Drayton Florence hit... When i saw that i was surprised he didn't get fined more it was an obvious blatant Dirty Hit.

Jakey
11-10-2007, 05:48 PM
This is a bull **** idea

Splat
11-10-2007, 05:48 PM
If you even look at Brady,Manning or Farve wrong out comes the flag it is such a joke.

Ewing
11-10-2007, 05:51 PM

Yeah, I'm so sick of the pampering of quarterbacks in this era. These guys wouldn't last a ****ing game during the 50's and 60's.

Forenci
11-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Sigh, typical No Fun League strikes again.

It's not like these guys are some schlubs who come off the streets only to discover that, 'Hey, man, we can get hurt doing this!'.

Seriously. If you don't want to take some hits then go play flag football, sheesh.

I suppose that's one of the reasons I really love Adrian Peterson. He doesn't just step out of bounds and accept the yardage the defense gives him. He clashes heads and bowls through defenders. Rare to find that quality in a RB these days.

Splat
11-10-2007, 06:07 PM
I suppose that's one of the reasons I really love Adrian Peterson. He doesn't just step out of bounds and accept the yardage the defense gives him. He clashes heads and bowls through defenders. Rare to find that quality in a RB these days.

Yep I guess LJ has 19 million reasons not to do that any more.:(

Komp
11-10-2007, 06:15 PM
I think players who blatantly attempt to injure should be ejected. I don't think a lot of helmet to helmet hits are intentional. In the NFL guys are flying around out of control all the time trying to make plays, penalizing for accidental helmet to helmet hits is not the answer.

TacticaLion
11-10-2007, 06:52 PM
I think players who blatantly attempt to injure should be ejected. I don't think a lot of helmet to helmet hits are intentional. In the NFL guys are flying around out of control all the time trying to make plays, penalizing for accidental helmet to helmet hits is not the answer.

Agreed.

If it's a blatant attempt to injure (ehm - Wilfork on Losman), it should be an ejection (and suspension). But, I'd hate to see a star player get thrown out late in a tie game for some ******** call. As Komp said, it happens... players are flying around and someone is bound to get hit by a helmet.

This will eventually backfire, though. The ******** flag will be thrown when the first game-changing ejection (on a bad call) is made.

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-10-2007, 08:11 PM
lame.Football is a collision sport.

Crickett
11-10-2007, 08:48 PM
My first reaction is this is a good idea. Especially when Laron Landry decided he needed to headbutt Kellen Clemons going full speed. No helmet collision while Landry was trying to sack him, just a heatbutt going full speed after the ball was thrown.

But........

Unseen's right. Over the past two years I've seen some of the biggest bull**** roughing the passer calls ever and I remember Osi Umenyiora letting Vince Young go because he was afraid he was next.

Bills2083
11-10-2007, 09:14 PM
My first reaction is this is a good idea. Especially when Laron Landry decided he needed to headbutt Kellen Clemons going full speed. No helmet collision while Landry was trying to sack him, just a heatbutt going full speed after the ball was thrown.

But........

Unseen's right. Over the past two years I've seen some of the biggest bull**** roughing the passer calls ever and I remember Osi Umenyiora letting Vince Young go because he was afraid he was next.

They need to change the rule on hitting QBs. I agree with not allowing a player to hit the QB below the waist, but if you're in the process of hitting the QB when he throws it, you should be able to finish tackling him. Just like the Umenyiora example. Osi let up, and Young ended up making a play (I think).

Boston
11-10-2007, 09:22 PM
If you even look at Brady,Manning or Farve wrong out comes the flag it is such a joke.

Maybe Manning and Brady, but not Favre.

TitanHope
11-10-2007, 09:53 PM
It wasn't Osi Umenyiora who let Vince go. It was Mathias Kiwanuka. That was more of a rookie mistake than anything. He wrapped Vince up and drove him back as few steps, but Vince didn't go down. For whatever reason, Kiwi thought Vince threw the ball away or to someone and just let him go. He stood straight up and clapped his hands in frustration. Then Vince took off and ran for a 1st down. If it was Osi or Strahan, though, they would have likely taken him to the ground. There wouldn't have been anything late or dirty about it.

Anyway, this sucks. Albert Haynesworth gets a personal foul penalty just about every other game for hits that wouldn't be considered foul worthy if performed by another player. I'm gonna be ticked if he gets ejected for a questionable personal foul. And since he has a reputation, any personal foul can be seen as intentional.

Mr. Stiller
11-10-2007, 10:25 PM
They need to change the rule on hitting QBs. I agree with not allowing a player to hit the QB below the waist, but if you're in the process of hitting the QB when he throws it, you should be able to finish tackling him. Just like the Umenyiora example. Osi let up, and Young ended up making a play (I think).

It was Kiwi, and that was the week after the Justin Smith sack that turned from the game winning sack to the game losing Roughing the passer..

Not to mention the RTP on Aaron smith for falling near Drew Brees. Even Drew was like WTF.

Mr. Stiller
11-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Agreed.

If it's a blatant attempt to injure (ehm - Wilfork on Losman), it should be an ejection (and suspension). But, I'd hate to see a star player get thrown out late in a tie game for some ******** call. As Komp said, it happens... players are flying around and someone is bound to get hit by a helmet.

This will eventually backfire, though. The ******** flag will be thrown when the first game-changing ejection (on a bad call) is made.

what was that Bball coach that was betting on games and determining their outcome by using fouls and penalties?

Could a ref eject a player to influence the game?

Scarface
11-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Qbs just need to stop being wusses and take a hit. Thats why mike vick was so fun to watch cause he was a power runner and plowed people over.

TacticaLion
11-10-2007, 11:06 PM
what was that Bball coach that was betting on games and determining their outcome by using fouls and penalties?

Could a ref eject a player to influence the game?Of course he could. But, a ref can also call fouls to influence a game.

If a ref wanted to influence a game, he could... regardless if ejections are added or not.

ks_perfection
11-10-2007, 11:06 PM
I wouldn't say Vick had Power, unless your referring to Marcus stomping on a defender.

steelersfan43
11-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Look what just happened to jake locker, jake is wrapped up, #9 comes in and helmet to helmet cheap shots him and he cant move and is being brought to the hospital. **** yea make this a rule and do it in college aswell.

Mr. Stiller
11-10-2007, 11:46 PM
Of course he could. But, a ref can also call fouls to influence a game.

If a ref wanted to influence a game, he could... regardless if ejections are added or not.

Agreed, but now theres a 1 Technical foul then knockout.

yodabear
11-11-2007, 12:29 AM
As everyone else said, this is a good idea as long as it doesn't get out of hand. In Landry's and Ramsey's case, they shoulda been gone. If they start ejecting the guys for tapping the QBs helmet, it would be outta hand, and that rule is stupid too.