PDA

View Full Version : Is Brady Quinn worth a 1st

Babylon
11-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Derek Anderson more than establishing himself there in Cleveland. My question is do you try to get a number one for Quinn, or maybe the same for Anderson and lastly where does Quinn rank along with Brohm/Woodson/Ryan.

Crow
11-11-2007, 01:26 PM
I seriously doubt Quinn is in any danger of being traded this year. That's a helluva lot of cap for Cleveland to just eat.

A Perfect Score
11-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Brady Quinn will absolutely not be traded. There is no way. Cleveland will put a high tender on Anderson and will most likely recieved a 2nd round pick for him. Quinn will take over next year once anderson is gone and will prove he was worth being traded for. Ill take quinn over brohm/woodson/ryan anyday of the week. Quinn is better then all three of them.

HoopsDemon12
11-11-2007, 01:39 PM
After all the stuff that they traded for him.. no way in hell he leaves...

To me they put i high tender on him. get the best pick available .. or if noeon goes on it.. tis the drew brees/ phillip rivers thing again

truth393
11-11-2007, 01:42 PM
If Brady Quinn was in the 08 draft. He will easily be the number overall pick. So my answer is yes.

Xiomera
11-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Brady Quinn will absolutely not be traded. There is no way. Cleveland will put a high tender on Anderson and will most likely recieved a 2nd round pick for him. Quinn will take over next year once anderson is gone and will prove he was worth being traded for. Ill take quinn over brohm/woodson/ryan anyday of the week. Quinn is better then all three of them.

Anderson isn't going anywhere.

A Perfect Score
11-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Anderson isn't going anywhere.

Why keep him? Quinn was the most NFL rready QB in this class. He will be ready to play next year, and there will be pressure to play him because of wat they gave up for him. Its exactly like the rivers/brees situation. Except the browns wont be stupid and wait for anderson to hit FA. It makes sense to trade him now, his value wont be any higher then it is this year. He isnt the QB of the future, and some team will give up a 2nd rounder for him on draft day. It makes no sense to keep Anderson.

soybean
11-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Why keep him? Quinn was the most NFL rready QB in this class. He will be ready to play next year, and there will be pressure to play him because of wat they gave up for him. Its exactly like the rivers/brees situation. Except the browns wont be stupid and wait for anderson to hit FA. It makes sense to trade him now, his value wont be any higher then it is this year. He isnt the QB of the future, and some team will give up a 2nd rounder for him on draft day. It makes no sense to keep Anderson.

because you're taking a huge step back. the browns aren't the chargers with already established players. It'll be a while before brady quinn beats the steelers.

BucSappy
11-11-2007, 02:08 PM

I disagree I think Cleveland needs to stick with DA, and I said San Diego should go with Phillip Rivers I just feel like this is a different situation.

If you can get an early 2nd rounder for Quinn than do it. Atlanta would be able to not have to draft a QB with their first rounder and they could take a player like Glenn Dorsey if available in round 1 (as opposed to having to take the best QB, which they will do).

neko4
11-11-2007, 02:09 PM
The Browns should trade Anderson for a good RB, if possible.

Travis 24
11-11-2007, 02:51 PM
I'd trade Brady Quinn...Anderson has that team rolling, why even attempt to disrupt that because you drafted Quinn??

Crickett
11-11-2007, 02:58 PM
I seriously doubt Quinn is in any danger of being traded this year. That's a helluva lot of cap for Cleveland to just eat.

No its not. Quinn's contract has 7.75 million in garuntees over five years. Some of which I'm sure are included in the current year's cap. Now consider how much of that would be included in next year's cap anyway and it really isn't that much.

T.Smith
11-11-2007, 03:05 PM
In Clevelands new history, they havn't had any qb that can win.. now that you have one in DA..why trade him for a rookie.

Also I would have quinn ranked behind all of them QB's.

bearsfan_51
11-11-2007, 03:09 PM
There is no chance in hell they trade Brady Quinn. Anyone that even suggests it shows a utter lack of knowledge of how the NFL works.

Vikes99ej
11-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Rivers/Brees pt. 2?

Crickett
11-11-2007, 03:15 PM
There is no chance in hell they trade Brady Quinn. Anyone that even suggests it shows a utter lack of knowledge of how the NFL works.

Well, since I have an utter lack of knowledge of how the NFL works, could you please do me the favor of explaining it? Thanks.

Addict
11-11-2007, 03:43 PM
The Browns should trade Anderson for a good RB, if possible.

hey... that's one stone kicking the hell out of two birds right there...

MaxV
11-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Yes, I think he was worth a 1st round pick.

I don't understand why so many people are bashing Quinn on this board, he's a talent young QB.

I don't think he'll be a star, but I fully expect for him to be a good NFL QB.

j05son
11-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Anderson will get a high tender and Cleveland is going to hope like hell they get a first rounder back and more...

We aren't in a position to keep two QB's and pick in the second round when we still have holes on both sides of the ball; RB, WR depth, DL, SOLB [McGinest isn't getting any younger, and Peek might just be a blitzing option, we need a big run stopper]...

Quinn was drafted to be the starting QB and he will be. Anderson surprised a lot of people, and hopefully his performance can get him a starter job elsewhere while helping the Browns get some picks back for this years draft.

Quinn isn't going anywhere. Anderson has value right now, and theres teams that need a QB. It's a win-win for Anderson to leave...

asmitty45
11-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Possible Suitors:

Baltimore, Chicago...

keylime_5
11-11-2007, 06:06 PM
If Quinn is traded it will be after the 2008 season. He is definitely worth a first round pick to be given up, I mean he was drafted in the first round, looked great in the preseason, has a skyhigh value, and teams would give up more than just a first round pick for a good QB. So he's worth at least a first rounder, definitely more of a value than Schaub was and he got 2 seconds, a third, and a first round pick swap. Add to that the fact that the 2009 draft has ZERO first round or maybe even second round QBs.

In the end if Anderson play great like he has been all through this year and next, we'll pull a reverse-San Diego and keep him and trade Quinn for a 1st rounder and more. Keep the more experienced QB who is only 1 year older and already proven. If Anderson doesn't do well and say Quinn looks amazing in what little PT he might get between now and then, or if he is incredible in practices, then they might do what SD did and keep the young/unproven guy and not pay the experienced vet. Win-WIn situation in Cleveland, Phil Savage is gonna get a first rounder back and probably a little extra out of the Brady/Derek ordeal.

mqtirishfan
11-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Also I would have quinn ranked behind all of them QB's.

Well, you're the only one.

yo123
11-11-2007, 06:41 PM
I dont see why he wouldnt be. He was worth one last year and what has he done to make himself worth any less?

BrownsTown
11-11-2007, 06:43 PM
If you're asking for this draft, hell yea, he's better than any QB in this draft. I don't even think it's that close. But no way he's traded. Anderson will be gone this offseason or the following.

benchod
11-11-2007, 06:44 PM
As a low first round pick, Quinn's cap number comes out to be fairly low, ~2 million. Considering the QB situations that are occurring around the league nowadays, its smart to keep both Quinn and Anderson. Another example that demonstrates why Quinn will be kept is the Aaron Rodgers/Packers situation. The Packers have no problem paying him that money because its a minor cap hit for a team that young.

The most likely scenario is Cleveland demanding a 1st and 3rd if someone else signs Anderson, which is a win win for Cleveland if they keep him or lose him.

And Bearsfan was right, anyone who suggests they trade Quinn is a fool. No matter how you work it out, Quinn is going to be cheaper than Anderson next year, so you keep Quinn no matter what happens to Anderson.

BrownsTown
11-11-2007, 06:50 PM
As a low first round pick, Quinn's cap number comes out to be fairly low, ~2 million. Considering the QB situations that are occurring around the league nowadays, its smart to keep both Quinn and Anderson. Another example that demonstrates why Quinn will be kept is the Aaron Rodgers/Packers situation. The Packers have no problem paying him that money because its a minor cap hit for a team that young.

The most likely scenario is Cleveland demanding a 1st and 3rd if someone else signs Anderson, which is a win win for Cleveland if they keep him or lose him.

And Bearsfan was right, anyone who suggests they trade Quinn is a fool. No matter how you work it out, Quinn is going to be cheaper than Anderson next year, so you keep Quinn no matter what happens to Anderson.

Anderson is a RFA, then UFA in this year and next, respectively. With Quinn waiting and sure to be ready by then, I think there's almost no chance they'd resign Anderson if it gets to the point where he's a UFA. It'd show a complete lack of faith in Quinn.

Apriori
11-11-2007, 07:25 PM
What I don't understand:
Brady had supporters and haters last year. Some people in the scouting community, like Kiper, were supporters of him and thought that he was a great talent. Other people thought that he was overrated.
When the draft rolled around, nobody was willing to take him with a top-20 pick--even Miami, who was as desperate for a quarterback as a team can get.

Why do people continue to talk about how Quinn is better than Brohm/Woodson/Ryan, then, if the people with the most money potentially invested in him (the teams) don't want him?

Remember Mike Williams? He was supposed to be a great talent, but a bunch of teams passed him up (hell, Minnesota took Troy Williamson over him) before the Lions snatched him up. (And the Lions didn't even scout him extensively...I remember reading an interview with Millen where he said that they hadn't run a single pre-draft scenario where Williams fell to them) Do you think it's a coincidence that he fell in the draft like that? Why aren't people talking about how Mike Williams is better than Desean Jackson & co.?

Guys, the vast majority of us are fans and all we do is watch them play and read about them in the news. Something tells me that NFL teams, who invest thousands if not millions of dollars into scouting, know more about Brady Quinn as a passer than any of us do.

A Perfect Score
11-11-2007, 07:49 PM
i honestly cant believe there are people on here who think quinn will be traded...this isnt madden. There is no way brady quinn goes anywhere, i dont care whether derek anderson has chemistry with the recievers or not. honestly. Why did the bears trade thomas jones when he was better then benson? why did the chargers trade drew brees when philip rivers was untested? its simple. POLITICS. The browns gave up to much last year to move up and get brady quinn to simply admit they were wrong because anderson has stepped up. In fact, it looks worse on htem if they give up on quinn because tehy already had this gem sitting right in their laps. Who knows, maybe anderson is a fluke. Quinn has a way higher ceiling and is the future of that franchise. Dont be naive people. Anderson will get traded, and quinn will take over next year. Again, this isnt madden.

BrownsTown
11-11-2007, 07:50 PM
What I don't understand:
Brady had supporters and haters last year. Some people in the scouting community, like Kiper, were supporters of him and thought that he was a great talent. Other people thought that he was overrated.
When the draft rolled around, nobody was willing to take him with a top-20 pick--even Miami, who was as desperate for a quarterback as a team can get.

Why do people continue to talk about how Quinn is better than Brohm/Woodson/Ryan, then, if the people with the most money potentially invested in him (the teams) don't want him?

Remember Mike Williams? He was supposed to be a great talent, but a bunch of teams passed him up (hell, Minnesota took Troy Williamson over him) before the Lions snatched him up. (And the Lions didn't even scout him extensively...I remember reading an interview with Millen where he said that they hadn't run a single pre-draft scenario where Williams fell to them) Do you think it's a coincidence that he fell in the draft like that? Why aren't people talking about how Mike Williams is better than Desean Jackson & co.?

Guys, the vast majority of us are fans and all we do is watch them play and read about them in the news. Something tells me that NFL teams, who invest thousands if not millions of dollars into scouting, know more about Brady Quinn as a passer than any of us do.

Past Miami there was a complete lack of need at the QB position. His value was probably around 5 to 10, in a much stronger draft than this year. The QB crop this year is also pretty awful. Miami didn't take him, and they should have. Most people agree on that. Cam Cameron is just not a good head coach.

superfly69
11-11-2007, 08:24 PM
In the end Quinn will be this teams starting QB. Anderson is having a good season, but I compare him to a Kelly Holcomb. He'll give you a few big games and maybe a solid season or two. But in the end he is a back-up QB. I would put a 2nd round tender on Anderson. If some team gives Cleveland a 2nd round pick for him, given they don't have a 1st...I think they would take it.

Crickett
11-11-2007, 08:49 PM
i honestly cant believe there are people on here who think quinn will be traded...this isnt madden. There is no way brady quinn goes anywhere, i dont care whether derek anderson has chemistry with the recievers or not. honestly.

So, just because 24 year old Derek Anderson is having a pro bowl year doesn't mean they should they should keep him over the 22nd overall pick?

Why did the bears trade thomas jones when he was better then benson?
Because they had a 50+ million dollar contract invested in Benson and couldn't afford to trade him?

why did the chargers trade drew brees when philip rivers was untested?
Because they had a 50+ million dollar contract invested in Rivers and couldn't afford to trade him?

its simple. POLITICS.
Oh.

The browns gave up to much last year to move up and get brady quinn to simply admit they were wrong because anderson has stepped up.

The Browns traded their 2007 second round pick and a 2008 first for Brady Quinn. If the Browns traded Quinn for a first round pick, well.... how many teams in the NFL right now that need a QB will be picking after the Browns would have this year?

In fact, it looks worse on htem if they give up on quinn because tehy already had this gem sitting right in their laps. Who knows, maybe anderson is a fluke. Quinn has a way higher ceiling and is the future of that franchise. Dont be naive people. Anderson will get traded, and quinn will take over next year. Again, this isnt madden.

This sounds an awful lot like the arguments being made before this season from people who wanted the Cowboys to replace Tony Romo. Maybe Anderson's a fluke? Maybe Quinn's a bust. I'll go with the one that is third in the league in touchdowns over the one who hasn't played a regular season game.

As for having a higher ceiling? Based on what? Certainly not arm strength (or height).

Travis 24
11-11-2007, 09:05 PM

Shut up please..

No one is saying to trade Quinn THIS off-season...You don't know how the NFL works.

Travis 24
11-11-2007, 09:08 PM
You guys say the Browns would look stupid for trading Quinn away, and keeping Anderson...Now what happens if they trade Anderson, keep Quinn..then Quinn proceeds to be a total flop, while Anderson continues to have success on another team...

I wouldn't even PRETEND to take my chances with that...Unless Quinn just absolutey tears it up next year in pre-season, etc...they need to go with Anderson. No team can be stupid enough to buy into the "we must keep him because he was drafted higher" theory.

BrownsTown
11-11-2007, 09:37 PM
I think the reason they wouldn't try to resign him if he was a UFA, is just the Quinn has the possibility to succeed more, and the fact that they'd have to shell out a lot of money to keep Anderson.

Brent
11-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Isn't it a bit early for this talk? I would hope the Browns would wait until next season to see if Anderson can keep this up for more than a few games.

WCH
11-12-2007, 07:41 AM
Did you guys catch this on Fox yesterday?

As per Jay Glazer, Cleveland wants to give Derek Anderson a long-term contract and Brady Quinn "is basically Matt Schaub."

And honestly, you don't let go of a 24 year old QB who is on pace to throw 36 TDs. Guys like that are few and far between.

kennyb
11-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Why would they get rid of a proven winner, Andersen and replace him with an unproven guy, Quinn?

Suppose Quinn fails completely...doesn't that make the front office look more stupid than if they trade him? They were smart to trade to get him, doesn't mean it isn't smart to trade to get rid of him.

Maybe they keep him for another year or so as insurance in case they can't sign DA as an UFA to an extension. And Brees in SD isn't exactly the same as he was asking for big money and coming off injury. Plus SD had so much money in Rivers they didn't want him to sit.

I can't imagine they'd just 'trade DA' and give the job to an unproven guy. Many high round QBs have fallen on their faces.

Now if Quinn gives them something to think that maybe he is the real deal....then it makes signing DA to a high contract less likely.

2nd round tender to a guy playing that well? He'd be gone for sure.

CLong4Heisman
11-12-2007, 03:31 PM
For Cleveland it is actually a great situation. They could pick up a first and third rounder for Anderson. For Quinn it could be the same or even more.

Man_Of_Steel
11-12-2007, 05:52 PM
It'll be a while before brady quinn beats the steelers.

Its gonna be awhile before any Browns QB beats the Steelers.

BrownsTown
11-12-2007, 05:58 PM
This is so similar to the Drew Brees situation, and to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened and both teams benifit from it, whatever team gets Anderson.

The thing about Anderson that is gonna eventually drive him out, is his inconsistensy and his mistake proneness. He's been getting better, but eventually he's gonna have a few bad games in a row and people will start calling for Quinn.

Keep in mind that Anderson also has a dynamite Oline, and what is right now a top 5 reciever and probably a top 3 TE. He also benifits a lot from that, nothing against him though, he's done a great job.

But if Schaub can get a 2nd without ever winning a start, a 24 year old QB who throws 30-40 TD passes could definately get a 1st.

j05son
11-12-2007, 06:24 PM
This is so similar to the Drew Brees situation, and to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened and both teams benifit from it, whatever team gets Anderson.

The thing about Anderson that is gonna eventually drive him out, is his inconsistensy and his mistake proneness. He's been getting better, but eventually he's gonna have a few bad games in a row and people will start calling for Quinn.

Keep in mind that Anderson also has a dynamite Oline, and what is right now a top 5 reciever and probably a top 3 TE. He also benifits a lot from that, nothing against him though, he's done a great job.

But if Schaub can get a 2nd without ever winning a start, a 24 year old QB who throws 30-40 TD passes could definately get a 1st.

Agreed.

I think most people are just going off this year and have no clue about how he did last year, in practices, college, etc.

Last season, he played well, won the KC game, played great against Pitt even though everyone else did badly, and then there was Tampa Bay where he threw 4 INT's and I wanted to hang myself from the second story of the Dawg Pound. The entire stadium was chanting for Ken Dorsey. It was bad.

The guy is everything you want physically in a QB. What made him a 6th round pick was his inconsistency and high turnover rate. He has been doing considerably better but who says if this will last or it's a fluke. Everyone is so quick to say what if Quinn busts, well what if Anderson's a fluke. He couldn't win this starting job outright in training camp. He couldn't beat out a bad Charlie Frye, that the organization went with who was doing the best and gave them the best chance to win. Since then Anderson has been what the Browns front office was hoping for.

Either way, Cleveland needs 1 QB, not 2. It's nice to have 2, but we don't have that luxury. We are a team that needs players on both sides of the ball. There's to many holes to be filled that we need to be aggressive in FA and have some draft picks.

D-Unit
11-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Cleveland doesn't eat cap if they trade Quinn.

I do think he's worth a first rounder.

BucSappy
11-12-2007, 07:12 PM
It's kinda funny. If Quinn wasn't a total loser and he got into TC on time he probably would be the starter and DA wouldn't have progressed to the QB he is today.

So Quinn not getting to camp on time could result in him being traded. What a loser.

keylime_5
11-12-2007, 07:15 PM
In the end Quinn will be this teams starting QB. Anderson is having a good season, but I compare him to a Kelly Holcomb. He'll give you a few big games and maybe a solid season or two. But in the end he is a back-up QB. I would put a 2nd round tender on Anderson. If some team gives Cleveland a 2nd round pick for him, given they don't have a 1st...I think they would take it.

Actually he's more like Drew Brees than Holcomb. In the end he's a young franchise pro bowl QB who sucked the year before so a QB was drafted in the first round. The Browns are ecstatic over the situation, not bummed. They got DA for nothing (street FA) and Brady for a 1st and 2nd round pick. Before DA becomes an UFA in 2009 they will trade one of their two QBs. Savage and co. will learn from the San Diego situation where they got nothing...the Browns will get that first round pick back and likely a little extra for one of their two stud young franchise QBs. I would not be sore at the Browns if we got rid of DA just as long as Quinn was as good at least, but it seems a LOT more likely that we trade Quinn and keep DA (understatement). DA has 20 Tds and 9 Ints and 2100+ yds just a week past midseason and we don't play 1 more team with a winning record the rest of the season, so those stats will only get better!

keylime_5
11-12-2007, 07:17 PM
It's kinda funny. If Quinn wasn't a total loser and he got into TC on time he probably would be the starter and DA wouldn't have progressed to the QB he is today.

So Quinn not getting to camp on time could result in him being traded. What a loser.

100% correct. Derek Anderson was horrible in training camp and preseason. He was basically what we saw in the 2nd half of the Pittsburgh game during the whole offseason. Brady would have certainly be the starting QB if he was in camp from day 1 based on how freakin' awesome QUinn looked in his preseason games. He and Condon screwed themselves (he could've gotten a lot more money this year too if he started so many games which would've unleashed a few contract incentives, so he cost himself PT, money, and likely a chance to play in Cleveland and start right away).

RoyHall#1
11-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Brady Quinn not getting to camp on time is helping the Browns out a lot...

draftguru151
11-12-2007, 07:46 PM
It's kinda funny. If Rivers wasn't a total loser and he got into TC on time he probably would be the starter and DB wouldn't have progressed to the QB he is today.

So Rivers not getting to camp on time could result in him being traded. What a loser.

Well this sounds familiar.

Babylon
11-12-2007, 08:02 PM
So all guys that are late reporting to training camp are losers?, or just Quinn.

neko4
11-12-2007, 08:29 PM
I think the Browns should clean Anderson and Quinn's slate next TC and just say, best man gets the job, then trade the loser. Anderson is in his 2nd year right now I think so its not out of the scope of reason that Quinn could get good next year. Hopefully by week 4 of the preseason they can pick one and then trade the loser for a Runningback, draft pick, or a DB

Losing QB to CHI for Cedric Benson and a 3rd and pickup Faneca from FA.

BrownsTown
11-12-2007, 09:32 PM
I think the Browns should clean Anderson and Quinn's slate next TC and just say, best man gets the job, then trade the loser. Anderson is in his 2nd year right now I think so its not out of the scope of reason that Quinn could get good next year. Hopefully by week 4 of the preseason they can pick one and then trade the loser for a Runningback, draft pick, or a DB

Losing QB to CHI for Cedric Benson and a 3rd and pickup Faneca from FA.

3rd year actually. But whatever.

They wouldn't do that because Cedric Benson is awful.

WCH
11-12-2007, 10:21 PM
So here's what I've been trying to figure out: how the hell does a team have a franchise QB on their roster and not even notice? Like not even suspect it, to the point where they trade up to draft a guy in round one, and then when the rookie holds out, fail to start their franchise QB when their only other option is Charlie Frye?

We're talking about a guy who's both third in the NFL in touchdown passes, and who has been a top 5 QB in terms of defense-adjusted points-above-replacement (source: www.footballoutsiders.com)

How does a team have a franchise QB and remain 100% oblivious to it? When Atlanta got rid of Brett Favre, their GM at least understood that he was getting rid of a very talented player. How did Cleveland not realize that they had a guy who was poised for a breakout year?

And Phil Savage seemed to like this guy since he drafted Anderson when he was in Baltimore and then picked him up off the waiver wire when he moved to Cleveland. I don't get how a team -- especially one with Phil Savage as their top talent evaluator -- could have a guy like this right under their noses and not even realize it?

I'm almost hoping that DA has a complete meltdown during the second half of the season, just so that the world will make sense again...

neko4
11-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Favre kinda changed his life style when he went to GB, he basically quit drinking and lost weight. ATL's GM also got a first out of Favre after drafting him w/ a 2nd.
Dont you people watch the in their own words, Brett Favre special on NFLN when it comes on?

neko4
11-12-2007, 11:02 PM

Awful behind an awful line

Maybe to Carolina for Deshaun and a first?

EDIT- Better yet, to Minny for Chester and a 2nd

Scotty D
11-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Maybe these QB scouts don't really know to much?

BrownsTown
11-12-2007, 11:06 PM
So here's what I've been trying to figure out: how the hell does a team have a franchise QB on their roster and not even notice? Like not even suspect it, to the point where they trade up to draft a guy in round one, and then when the rookie holds out, fail to start their franchise QB when their only other option is Charlie Frye?

We're talking about a guy who's both third in the NFL in touchdown passes, and who has been a top 5 QB in terms of defense-adjusted points-above-replacement (source: www.footballoutsiders.com)

How does a team have a franchise QB and remain 100% oblivious to it? When Atlanta got rid of Brett Favre, their GM at least understood that he was getting rid of a very talented player. How did Cleveland not realize that they had a guy who was poised for a breakout year?

And Phil Savage seemed to like this guy since he drafted Anderson when he was in Baltimore and then picked him up off the waiver wire when he moved to Cleveland. I don't get how a team -- especially one with Phil Savage as their top talent evaluator -- could have a guy like this right under their noses and not even realize it?

I'm almost hoping that DA has a complete meltdown during the second half of the season, just so that the world will make sense again...

How did they not realize? He looked absolutely awful in pretty much everything in the preseason. Against 2nd stringers. Ken Dorsey looked better than him. This came completely out of nowhere. And part of that, as I always try to tell people, is that in the preseason, and last season, he didn't have a franchise LT protecting his blind side.

j05son
11-12-2007, 11:10 PM

Plus theres so much money in our o-line that adding Faneca would make our line the top paid...Has to be...

Don't get me wrong, I would love to sign Faneca, but I don't see it happening.

Crickett
11-12-2007, 11:18 PM

Maybe it is because not everyone works in every system. Kyle Vanden Bosch sucked in Arizona. So did Thomas Jones. How well did Randy freakin Moss do in Oakland? Jonathan Vilma was a pro bowler in the 4-3. DeWayne Robertson was at least decent as a 4-3 under tackle. Not the case in the 3-4. Brian Griese looked a hell of a lot better in Tampa and Chicago than he did in Miami. Don't forget the QB factory that was Green Bay under Favre. They sent pro bowl/MVP quarterbacks to Seattle and St. Louis in Matt Hasselbeck and Kurt Warner.

Another thing is, did any of us suspect that Derek Anderson was a franchise QB? Certainly not watching him during the carousel of inferiority (mediocrity is too nice a term) at QB during the Browns preseason.

Maybe we all just don't expect the late round guys to succeed. Not at that level. As much we've heard the story of Tom Brady getting drafted #199, every time someone like Marques Colston or Antonio Pierce comes along, it surprises the heck out of everyone. How many people thought the Cowboys should replace Tony Romo on this very forum after last season? HE WAS A FREAKIN PRO BOWLER!!!!!

WCH
11-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Favre kinda changed his life style when he went to GB, he basically quit drinking and lost weight. ATL's GM also got a first out of Favre after drafting him w/ a 2nd.
Dont you people watch the in their own words, Brett Favre special on NFLN when it comes on?
Yes, I know. :)

The story of how that trade came to be is interesting, IMO. ATL's GM, Ken Herock, was even reluctant to trade Favre for a first, but their coach made it clear that he wanted Favre off the team, and the owner sided with the coach. Herock grew up in Pittsburgh and he couldn't fathom the fact that the Steelers let go of Johnny Unitas, and he didn't want to make the same mistake with Favre. He went into trade negotiations asking for more than a first round pick, figuring that nobody in their right mind would give up such a gross amount for a guy who had been a second round pick one year before. The idea was that he could tell ownership that nobody was willing to trade for Favre, when really he was just asking far too much. But, feeling pressure from the coaching staff and ownership, he told the owner that he would try to trade Favre for a first-round pick. When he finally made this offer to Ron Wolf, after months of negotiations, Wolf jumped on it (he had actually planned on eventually trading the second of their two first round picks for Favre anyway, and probably would have given up slightly more than that, but he was playing hardball with Herock).

no love
11-13-2007, 01:27 AM
i honestly cant believe there are people on here who think quinn will be traded...this isnt madden. There is no way brady quinn goes anywhere, i dont care whether derek anderson has chemistry with the recievers or not. honestly. Why did the bears trade thomas jones when he was better then benson? why did the chargers trade drew brees when philip rivers was untested? its simple. POLITICS. The browns gave up to much last year to move up and get brady quinn to simply admit they were wrong because anderson has stepped up. In fact, it looks worse on htem if they give up on quinn because tehy already had this gem sitting right in their laps. Who knows, maybe anderson is a fluke. Quinn has a way higher ceiling and is the future of that franchise. Dont be naive people. Anderson will get traded, and quinn will take over next year. Again, this isnt madden.

It's rather bad management for a team to trade the better qb for politics. If the Browns coaches feel that Anderson is the better qb after what they have seen from him, you better believe that they won't trade him unless someone throw A LOT at them.

I think the smartest move for them is to make the qb position an open competition next year. The guy who plays better wins the job.

You are right, this isn't Madden, you can't make just any qb in a hofer. Some guys have it, some guys get it eventually, some guys never do. Right now, it looks as if Anderson has that "it" you look for in a great qb. If you think that just because Brady Quinn will be the better qb because he was picked higher you are ignoring all of the busts at the qb position over the years.

Sometimes it takes 3 years for a qb to start playing at a high level, you trade Anderson (who is already playing at a very high level might I add) and you might have to wait another 2 years minimum to see the same kind of production you are getting out of Anderson now.

One thing I think people are ignoring about Anderson. He has really good physical abilities. Anderson is 6'6" and 230 lbs with a rocket for an arm and he has good pocket presence. If you are thinking that Brady Quinn's physical abilities are that much better than Anderson, you are kidding yourself. The biggest knock on him coming out of college was his propensity to throw boneheaded interceptions, but it's one of those things where a lot like other big armed qbs he thought he could force balls into tight spaces. He can learn to overcome this deficiency in his game.

Scott Wright
11-13-2007, 01:56 AM
If someone will give Cleveland what they invested in Quinn (i.e. essentially two #1 picks) then I think they would deal him but I don't see that happening so Anderson will likely be the odd man out, whether it be this offseason or next.

BucSappy
11-13-2007, 02:55 AM
If someone will give Cleveland what they invested in Quinn (i.e. essentially two #1 picks) then I think they would deal him but I don't see that happening so Anderson will likely be the odd man out, whether it be this offseason or next.

I thought they only lost the 2008 first rounder. I just look at it like that...their 2007 2nd rounder was traded for the player (Brady Quinn), and then the 2008 pick was used as compensation for the Cowboys trading down into the 2nd round.

But I don't understand getting rid of Derek Anderson...if Brady Quinn busts they will look very foolish. This is different from Brees/Rivers because DA is 2 years younger than Brees was at the time (correct me if I am wrong)

PoopSandwich
11-13-2007, 07:28 AM
Besides trading DA for draft picks, I wouldn't be too upset if we got D Hall and a pick or just D Hall for him.

neko4
11-13-2007, 08:39 AM
I think Quinn will be everybit as good and better than Anderson. I think he showed that in Preseason too

afftbl10
11-13-2007, 03:50 PM
quinn is obviously worth the pick. he is an unquestioned top 10 talent in a draft class far better than this one. anderson is doing great but quinn is the man of the future.

afftbl10
11-13-2007, 04:46 PM
he is an unquestioned top 10 talent in a draft class far better than this one.

if you read closely i said TALENT not PICK. if you looked at any pre draft rankings last year you would have seen quinn in the top ten in every one. i believe he was top 3 rank on this website.

no love
11-13-2007, 07:02 PM
if you read closely i said TALENT not PICK. if you looked at any pre draft rankings last year you would have seen quinn in the top ten in every one. i believe he was top 3 rank on this website.

Obviously Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Miami, Buffalo, or Jacksonville didn't think so. Granted they all have some sort of developmental QB, but if he was a OBVIOUS top 3 talent I don't think those teams would have passed up on him.

I am not saying that it might not be true, but you made it seem like it was so obvious, which it isn't. There are obvious flaws in his game, he has spats of inaccuracy and he has a major breakdown in mechanics when he faces pressure, he does not look smooth evading pressures in the pocket.

BrownsTown
11-13-2007, 08:53 PM
Obviously Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Miami, Buffalo, or Jacksonville didn't think so. Granted they all have some sort of developmental QB, but if he was a OBVIOUS top 3 talent I don't think those teams would have passed up on him.

I am not saying that it might not be true, but you made it seem like it was so obvious, which it isn't. There are obvious flaws in his game, he has spats of inaccuracy and he has a major breakdown in mechanics when he faces pressure, he does not look smooth evading pressures in the pocket.

Are you serious? From what I've seen of him, a few games at ND and preseason games, that's one of his biggest strengths. He was great at rolling out, buying time and finding that 3rd or 4th option.

People are always going to find flaws in a game. People just seem to focus on Quinn's and ignore Russell's.

Travis 24
11-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Trading proven player for unproven player = stupid.

Thats all I'm gonna say..

Turtlepower
11-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Trading proven player for unproven player = stupid.

Thats all I'm gonna say..

I really think Derek Anderson is having a great season, so don't get me wrong. But how is one good season in the NFL equate to a proven player?

Crickett
11-13-2007, 11:07 PM
I really think Derek Anderson is having a great season, so don't get me wrong. But how is one good season in the NFL equate to a proven player?

Ask Tony Romo.

Apriori
11-13-2007, 11:10 PM

I think 1 good season counts as "proven" when the alternative hasn't taken a meaningful NFL snap yet (or any in the regular season?)

VoteLynnSwan
11-13-2007, 11:19 PM
the only reason Derek Anderson has been able to do anything is because of that offensive line. You put any decent NFL quarterback behind that line and they would be successful. Rex Grossman would dominate behind that offensive line.

Turtlepower
11-13-2007, 11:20 PM
I think 1 good season counts as "proven" when the alternative hasn't taken a meaningful NFL snap yet (or any in the regular season?)

Except that Getting rid of Derek Anderson can get a lot more than Brady Quinn. The Browns have a pro bowl WR, TE, and O-line. Anyone take those into account when talking about how great Derek Anderson has been this year. I see Brady Quinn as a downgrade in the short-run, but the players/picks they can get in return for Anderson are much more beneficial than he is. The Browns are at their peak right now and won't improve that much next year unless they trade Derek Anderson when he is at his highest market value. He will merit a first (and possibly a second) from a team in the bottom-15 needing a QB.

Crickett
11-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Except that Getting rid of Derek Anderson can get a lot more than Brady Quinn. The Browns have a pro bowl WR, TE, and O-line. Anyone take those into account when talking about how great Derek Anderson has been this year.

No not really. If you put Peyton Manning in Miami he is going to struggle. Heck, if you put Peyton Manning in the Colts offense without Marvin Harrison, Anthony Gonzalez, Dallas Clark and Tony Ugoh and put him against a team like the Chargers, why I bet you he'll throw six INT's. Holding it against Derek Anderson that he is in an offense that doesn't completely suck (like the Browns offense of years past) doesn't make much sense to me. Nobody holds it against any other QB who does well in a good offense, why should they hold it against Derek Anderson?

I see Brady Quinn as a downgrade in the short-run, but the players/picks they can get in return for Anderson are much more beneficial than he is. The Browns are at their peak right now and won't improve that much next year unless they trade Derek Anderson when he is at his highest market value. He will merit a first (and possibly a second) from a team in the bottom-15 needing a QB.

And what about the players/picks they can get in return for Quinn? Who says they can get more for Anderson? A mid to late first round pick for a young possible pro bowl QB seems like underpaying to me and if that's all they can get for him, I don't see why he'd be the one they'd trade.

Turtlepower
11-14-2007, 12:47 AM
No not really. If you put Peyton Manning in Miami he is going to struggle. Heck, if you put Peyton Manning in the Colts offense without Marvin Harrison, Anthony Gonzalez, Dallas Clark and Tony Ugoh and put him against a team like the Chargers, why I bet you he'll throw six INT's. Holding it against Derek Anderson that he is in an offense that doesn't completely suck (like the Browns offense of years past) doesn't make much sense to me. Nobody holds it against any other QB who does well in a good offense, why should they hold it against Derek Anderson?

I actually really like Derek Anderson and feel he has the potential to be a consistent Pro Bowl QB, but with that being said, I just feel that as an organization they can get a lot more with Anderson than Quinn. Quinn not only has a price tag that many teams will baulk at, but since he is unproven, he will fetch no more than a 2nd (which would be the best case). Anderson could completely slump next year (I don't think he will) and then they would get nothing. From a franchise standpoint, you gotta do what's best for your team and if that is letting go of Derek Anderson (a franchise QB) for defensive help, which they truly need, then I would do it. I understand completely the other side's view, but I feel that if I was the GM for the Browns I would shop Anderson because there is no way they are resigning him for the pricetag he will be worth in a couple years when they could get a lot for him now when he is still a cheap, hot commodity.

Crickett
11-14-2007, 08:03 AM
I actually really like Derek Anderson and feel he has the potential to be a consistent Pro Bowl QB, but with that being said, I just feel that as an organization they can get a lot more with Anderson than Quinn. Quinn not only has a price tag that many teams will baulk at, but since he is unproven, he will fetch no more than a 2nd (which would be the best case). Anderson could completely slump next year (I don't think he will) and then they would get nothing. From a franchise standpoint, you gotta do what's best for your team and if that is letting go of Derek Anderson (a franchise QB) for defensive help, which they truly need, then I would do it. I understand completely the other side's view, but I feel that if I was the GM for the Browns I would shop Anderson because there is no way they are resigning him for the pricetag he will be worth in a couple years when they could get a lot for him now when he is still a cheap, hot commodity.

1. If you remove the garuntees which IIRC would stay with the Browns should Quinn be traded, he has a 5 year 12.25 million dollar contract with 10 million more in escalators. 5 years 22 million is a price tag teams will balk at?

2. Unproven? By definition, he is no more unproven than any quarterback actually in the draft. Less if you consider that he at the very least did well in an NFL preseason.

3. Matt Schaub fetched two second rounders after one good game where he barely completed 50% of his passes and lost.

Apriori
11-14-2007, 10:00 AM
If Quinn is actually as good as people think is he, then why don't the Browns trade him because there's obviously a market for him if he's so good?

BrownsTown
11-14-2007, 03:34 PM
If Quinn is actually as good as people think is he, then why don't the Browns trade him because there's obviously a market for him if he's so good?

That's some of the dumbest logic I've ever seen. THEY DON'T WANT TO TRADE HIM. They aren't trading him because noone wants him...that's hilarious.

afftbl10
11-14-2007, 04:30 PM
hey njx, how many qbs do you think are going in the first round this year?

BrownsTown
11-14-2007, 04:43 PM
who cares what i think? if i say 7 and mel kiper agrees with me, does that make it "unquestioned knowledge that 7 qbs will go in the first round," even after they don't? given that that's exactly what you're suggesting, i'd hope you can see why you're comment struck me as particularly mindless.

Ok I don't like you but that made me laugh.

afftbl10
11-14-2007, 07:41 PM
njx i see youve posted on this website 16000 times....wow impressive. im asking you bc you seem to be more of an expert(16000 posts) than me. by the way i was just wondering not really trying to go anywhere with this. i learned my mistake, you made me cry by correcting my grammer.http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

Apriori
11-14-2007, 08:19 PM
That's some of the dumbest logic I've ever seen. THEY DON'T WANT TO TRADE HIM. They aren't trading him because noone wants him...that's hilarious.

What are you talking about? What you're saying has nothing to do with what I said.

BrownsTown
11-14-2007, 09:03 PM
What are you talking about? What you're saying has nothing to do with what I said.

It sure did seem like you were saying that they weren't trading Quinn because he wasn't good enough to get anything.

A Perfect Score
11-14-2007, 09:15 PM
i still cant believe this is even a discussion...quinn will not be traded. Anderson will be gone either this offseason or next offseason. People fail to raelize this is a business, and that there is more on the line then fantasy leagues. People's jobs and careers are put on the line here. Cleveland did not trade their first rounder this year and second rounder last year so that they could trade quinn. It just doesnt make sense. Dont get me wrong, i loved Anderson from the moment the Ravens drafted him, was upset when they cut him, and i hate them for doing it now. But it just isnt feasible for him to have a future in cleveland. I just dont see it. You are right, quinn is unproven, but he is still the future in cleveland. I cant see them signing anderson to a long term contract, and they would be better to trade him now for some picks or serious defensive help, which they clearly need. Like I understand where some of you are coming from, but plain and simple, brady is the future in cleveland, derek isnt.

Crickett
11-14-2007, 09:45 PM
i still cant believe this is even a discussion...quinn will not be traded. Anderson will be gone either this offseason or next offseason. People fail to raelize this is a business, and that there is more on the line then fantasy leagues.

And what business lets a top performer (like a pro bowl quarterback) leave for someone with little to no real world (read: NFL regular season) experience? Thats basic human resources management.

People's jobs and careers are put on the line here. Cleveland did not trade their first rounder this year and second rounder last year so that they could trade quinn.

No, they drafted him to be their franchise quarterback. But then Derek Anderson won the starting job and showed himself to be just that.

You are right, quinn is unproven, but he is still the future in cleveland. I cant see them signing anderson to a long term contract, and they would be better to trade him now for some picks or serious defensive help, which they clearly need. Like I understand where some of you are coming from, but plain and simple, brady is the future in cleveland, derek isnt.

Here is another business term for you. "Sunk cost".

A sunk cost is a cost that has already been incurred and that cannot be changed by any decision made now or in the future. Because sunk costs cannot be changed by any decision they are not differential costs. And because only differntial costs are relevant in a decision, sunk costs can and should be ignored.

The Browns drafted Brady Quinn. They can't un draft him. but they shouldn't let that hold them back .

Apriori
11-14-2007, 10:15 PM
It sure did seem like you were saying that they weren't trading Quinn because he wasn't good enough to get anything.

Nah, I wasn't being sarcastic.

kennyb
11-15-2007, 07:54 AM
And what business lets a top performer (like a pro bowl quarterback) leave for someone with little to no real world (read: NFL regular season) experience? Thats basic human resources management.

No, they drafted him to be their franchise quarterback. But then Derek Anderson won the starting job and showed himself to be just that.

Here is another business term for you. "Sunk cost".

The Browns drafted Brady Quinn. They can't un draft him. but they shouldn't let that hold them back .

I agree with your logic 100%. What would be worse than trading for Quinn, drafting him and then dumping him in another trade? Well, how about trading a proven QB, Andersen, for a guy who looked good but in the end didn't work out, Quinn, all because of the ego you sunk into him.

brat316
11-15-2007, 08:02 AM
You know you have a proven Qb, in Anderson so why not stick with him. Leave Quinn on the bench, he can fill in as an back up. Then right before he contract ends, trade him. Do what ATL did, with Schuab, but makes sure before you do Anderson isn't into dog fighting. Now after Quinn is gone you have a whole lot of draft picks to do as you please. How long is Quinns deal 4-5 years trade him in 4 years. somewhere along the way Anderson might get hurt and Quinn will have to step and then we will see how good he really is.

Remeber 10 weeks back we where talking about how Quinn would be starting by how, but then Anderson proved he could win games and that Quinn would just have to keep the bench warm.

NYGibril28
11-15-2007, 08:05 AM
You know you have a proven Qb, in Anderson so why not stick with him. Leave Quinn on the bench, he can fill in as an back up. Then right before he contract ends, trade him. Do what ATL did, with Schuab, but makes sure before you do Anderson isn't into dog fighting. Now after Quinn is gone you have a whole lot of draft picks to do as you please. How long is Quinns deal 4-5 years trade him in 4 years. somewhere along the way Anderson might get hurt and Quinn will have to step and then we will see how good he really is.

Remeber 10 weeks back we where talking about how Quinn would be starting by how, but then Anderson proved he could win games and that Quinn would just have to keep the bench warm.

There's a lot more money invested in Quinn than there was in Schaub.

Jughead10
11-15-2007, 08:06 AM
You do realize that the Browns basically used two first round picks for Quinn. The one they selected him with and the one they are missing in the draft this year. I can't see them trading Quinn for all that much less than two first round picks, which I doubt anyone would offer anyway.

brat316
11-15-2007, 08:14 AM
You do realize that the Browns basically used two first round picks for Quinn. The one they selected him with and the one they are missing in the draft this year. I can't see them trading Quinn for all that much less than two first round picks, which I doubt anyone would offer anyway.

Ya never know, this years draft class ain't that amazing its like when Alex Smith came out, but at that time Smith was still taken 1 over all. Teams would give up a draft pick or 2 maybe not to 1st but a 1st and future 2nd. For a qb, who has been in the nfl. Even if there is no real starting exerpince, Schaub.

drowe
11-15-2007, 09:53 AM
yeah, trading a first rounder before they had a chance to play is unheard of....and it'd be really surprising to see it happen here. but, i think it SHOULD happen.

yes, the browns gave up a lot to get Quinn...but, they also have a lot of vested interest in Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow and Joe Thomas...who are all playing very well behind Anderson and are living up to their lofty draft status. so, why upset the apple cart and risk putting in a new guy who may not bring out the best in Cleveland's young offense? The Browns have a lot to feel good about right now and youth is definetly on their side. but, i don't see how any good can come from starting over with a virtual rookie. at best, it sets the organization back a year or two. at worst, Brady Quinn is a bust and they're back to being perennial losers on account of pride.

Iamcanadian
11-15-2007, 10:30 AM
If Quinn is traded it will be after the 2008 season. He is definitely worth a first round pick to be given up, I mean he was drafted in the first round, looked great in the preseason, has a skyhigh value, and teams would give up more than just a first round pick for a good QB. So he's worth at least a first rounder, definitely more of a value than Schaub was and he got 2 seconds, a third, and a first round pick swap. Add to that the fact that the 2009 draft has ZERO first round or maybe even second round QBs.

In the end if Anderson play great like he has been all through this year and next, we'll pull a reverse-San Diego and keep him and trade Quinn for a 1st rounder and more. Keep the more experienced QB who is only 1 year older and already proven. If Anderson doesn't do well and say Quinn looks amazing in what little PT he might get between now and then, or if he is incredible in practices, then they might do what SD did and keep the young/unproven guy and not pay the experienced vet. Win-WIn situation in Cleveland, Phil Savage is gonna get a first rounder back and probably a little extra out of the Brady/Derek ordeal.

I agree, I don't think the Browns will decide until after the 2008 season when they know for sure if Anderson is the real deal. They aren't going to trade Anderson right away and go with Quinn, just too big of a risk. 1st round drafted QB's are NOT A CINCH TO BECOME GOOD NFL STARTING QB'S and Quinn is going to have to show them that he is very solid before they will risk a trade.
The Brees/Rivers comparison is weak as Brees was coming off a seriuos injury when they cut him and Rivers was a top 5 draft pick, rated far higher than Quinn. San Diego had to make a decision when they just weren't sure how well Brees had recovered.
I also agree that it is a win, win situation for Cleveland as QB's are always in demand in the NFL and some team will pay a 1st rounder for either of them if Anderson continues to shine.

LonghornsLegend
11-15-2007, 02:49 PM
What im curious about is, has anyone here wondered what if Quinn ends up being a bust, and Anderson ends up being a very servicable qb/solid starter in the league, most here should know nfl qbs that havent played are not a sure thing, if Quinn ends up horrible thats wasting Edwards and Winslow talents, and it could set the franchise back...

I know thats the way you typically go, is stick with the young 1st rd draft pick, but its still a gamble

T.Smith
11-15-2007, 04:22 PM
For Cleveland it is actually a great situation. They could pick up a first and third rounder for Anderson. For Quinn it could be the same or even more.

Why? They traded a first round and a 2nd round pick(with first round talent still lingering) for Quinn, plus getting rid of a young pro-bowler winner.
I see no logic in what you said.

BucSappy
11-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Why? They traded a first round and a 2nd round pick(with first round talent still lingering) for Quinn, plus getting rid of a young pro-bowler winner.
I see no logic in what you said.

But if they trade Anderson to a team with a higher first round pick than what they have in the 2008 draft then it makes up for the lost points.

Race for the Heisman
11-15-2007, 04:29 PM
And what business lets a top performer (like a pro bowl quarterback) leave for someone with little to no real world (read: NFL regular season) experience?

The Indianapolis Colts. But I understand the point you're trying to get across. Still, if the organization is like that of the Colts, then maybe they trust their ability to judge talent (ie. Quinn) enough to let Anderson go. I know quarterbacks are different, and I know Quinn's situation is different because they traded up when he fell, which sometimes means a team jumps on a prospect without extensive scouting, but considering where they were picking, I think they explored the possibility of Quinn at number 3 is Thomas and Russell went 1, 2. If they were willing to trade up, they probably believed he was worthy of being a first-round pick, even if he wasn't top 10 material. You asked the question, I just felt it necessary to note that it was not an unheard of practice.

LonghornsLegend
11-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Derek Anderson-QB-Browns Nov. 15 - 7:22 pm et

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Browns could slap the franchise tag on impending restricted free agent Derek Anderson after the season.

Apparently, you still can do this, although it has not been done since 1999 when Terrell Owens was a restricted free agent after three years with San Francisco. The natural assumption was that Anderson would be tendered highly with the first- and third-round tags, but the franchise tender brings back two first-round choices if another team signs Anderson to an offer sheet.

it doesnt sound like they are so ready 2 give up on him after one year, and i dont understand the argument "they gave up so much for Quinn, they have to play him", makes no sense to me, who cares what you gave up, it makes you look even worse if you go with him and he's a bust, why not stick with Anderson, yea you invested alot into Quinn, but at the same time your also guaranteed to have a proven winner at qb, i dont think it makes much sense to put all your eggs into brady quinn and give up the guy who has proven he can lead this team and get the ball to their weapons

LonghornsLegend
11-16-2007, 01:46 PM

Brady Quinn-QB-Browns Nov. 16 - 1:45 pm et

Brady Quinn could reportedly be shopped by Cleveland in the offseason.

Browns fans would love this. Atlanta, Chicago, Carolina, Minnesota, and Baltimore are named as possible landing spots for the former Notre Dame star. The Panthers and Bucs were known to be interested in Quinn before last April's draft. This is all assuming Cleveland extends Derek Anderson.

so much for everyone that said its 0% chance this happens, I had a feeling the Browns might go against the norm, it seems too crazy to have a qb playing as well as Anderson is, with how young he is, to give up and go with the unproven player you know nothing about...yes they gave up alot for quinn, but they can also get something in return for him, worst case they take a cap hit, but im sure they can get something high in value...some people on here act as if they know how things work around the league

Panthers seem like the obvious choice here

A Perfect Score
11-16-2007, 02:26 PM
so much for everyone that said its 0% chance this happens, I had a feeling the Browns might go against the norm, it seems too crazy to have a qb playing as well as Anderson is, with how young he is, to give up and go with the unproven player you know nothing about...yes they gave up alot for quinn, but they can also get something in return for him, worst case they take a cap hit, but im sure they can get something high in value...some people on here act as if they know how things work around the league

Panthers seem like the obvious choice here

if this happens i will be truly schocked. However, i will eat my words and admit i was wrong. If the browns are shopping him, i will glady trade baltimores first rounder for him as i believe he is better then any QB in this draft. It still doesnt make sense to me, because i think Quinn would do just as good if not better then anderson. But again, ill eat my words if im wrong and ill pray for ozzie to trade our first rounder for brady.

toonsterwu
11-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Source is actually the Denver Post. Most people on other sites have used the rotoworld link, though (but rotoworld thinks to DP). In many respects, this seems a case of rotoworld taking things a step further than the article suggests.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_7477172?source=rss

The actual quote in the DP seems mroe speculative than what rotoworld said.

"Some have speculated that Brady Quinn will be playing elsewhere next year. ... Expect Quinn to be shopped in the offseason, possibly garnering a first-round pick. There will be plenty of teams interested, perhaps including Minnesota, Baltimore, Atlanta, Chicago and Carolina."

All that being said, I don't know their cap situation, but I could see them be ballsy and make this move. Now, I don't think they'd get any more than a first, and I'm not sure they'd get anything more than a mid-first.

LonghornsLegend
11-16-2007, 02:46 PM
it's always fun to cite unsourced quotes to "prove" a point. either source your links or stop making things up.

what point do i have 2 prove, i really could care less about the topic at hand, i just thought it was funny for people to call people "idiots" and say they know nothing about the nfl if they think quinn will be traded or shopped, when that very thing may happen...but heres your links for you because im obviously trying 2 prove some kind of point...

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_previousnews.aspx?sport=Nfl&id=4149

Brady Quinn could reportedly be shopped by Cleveland in the offseason.

Browns fans would love this. Atlanta, Chicago, Carolina, Minnesota, and Baltimore are named as possible landing spots for the former Notre Dame star. The Panthers and Bucs were known to be interested in Quinn before last April's draft. This is all assuming Cleveland extends Derek Anderson.
Source: Denver Post

heres the one about the Browns franchising Anderson

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/11/16/franchise-tag-despite-drafting-brady-quinn-browns-cant-let-de/

now what makes you think I would make up a random assumption or a fake quote from an nfl insider like it couldnt be easily proven wrong, what would be the point in that ??

bored of education
11-16-2007, 02:46 PM
I think a team might give up a late 1st, or mayb even a 2nd or 3rd this year and the same the next or something. Brady Quinn is no longer the savior.

LonghornsLegend
11-16-2007, 02:49 PM
if this happens i will be truly schocked. However, i will eat my words and admit i was wrong. If the browns are shopping him, i will glady trade baltimores first rounder for him as i believe he is better then any QB in this draft. It still doesnt make sense to me, because i think Quinn would do just as good if not better then anderson. But again, ill eat my words if im wrong and ill pray for ozzie to trade our first rounder for brady.

well I mean Anderson isnt really old, and he has been getting the ball to their weapons and winning games, isnt it kind of bold letting him go and putting all your eggs into Quinns basket, seeing how some of these other young qbs have struggled, it would be an even bigger risk going with the guy who hasnt played a real nfl game...

wont they be able 2 end up with a 1st rd pick right back if they shop either qb though?? they probably take a larger cap hit trading quinn, but at least they would be able 2 get some draft picks back in return, but if Anderson takes them 2 the playoffs, it would be bold 2 let him go

LonghornsLegend
11-16-2007, 02:58 PM
if you're unwilling to provide sources, what else is it supposed to look like? i don't realistically care if this rumor is true or not, but unsourced material is not only obnoxious, but also against the site rules (check 4a). for the record, anyone posting anything similar would have gotten the same reaction (and has before).

thats understandable, but I guess it was too hard to just ask for the sources, or ask to post links, instead it was much easier and made you look cooler by saying I was trying to prove a point and making things up...