PDA

View Full Version : Is Dennis Dixon a 1st rounder?

TACKLE
11-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Do you think that he can go in the 1st round. He is the Heisman favorite and is one of the most talented players on college football. He has the size at 6'4 200. He could probably afford to put on some weight. He has proven the critics wrong by being an effective passer this year. He is still a great runner but this year he's proven he's also a winner. Has a unique physical tools. If a team that is drafting in mid to late first round like the Ravens, who need a new QB and a playmaker on offense, or a team like Carolina would they consider taking him?

Babylon
11-11-2007, 01:45 PM
First off he isnt Vince young, he doesnt have that size and strength. I think lack of arm strength and the potential to get hurt if he were to run too often would scare a lot of people off. Winning the heisman has nothing to do with being an NFL prospect.

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-11-2007, 01:59 PM
People like to ignore the fact that this is his only good year of his college career.

fischbowl
11-11-2007, 02:02 PM
I could see him as a 3rd round flier at most.

truth393
11-11-2007, 02:03 PM
No, but he'll won't go any futher than the 3rd round.

soybean
11-11-2007, 02:10 PM
I like that for a team that likes to air it out a lot he only has 3 INTs, one from a hail mary to end the half and the other two to one team, CAL.

I doubt he goes in the 1st, he doesn't have touch that most qbs have and his throwing motion is a little weird.

I think he'll go 2nd-3rd round and I think the falcons should pick him up there.

P-L
11-11-2007, 02:32 PM
I don't think he's a 1st Round pick, but I could definitely see him going in the 2nd Round.

fischbowl
11-11-2007, 02:35 PM
I like that for a team that likes to air it out a lot he only has 3 INTs, one from a hail mary to end the half and the other two to one team, CAL.

I doubt he goes in the 1st, he doesn't have touch that most qbs have and his throwing motion is a little weird.

I think he'll go 2nd-3rd round and I think the falcons should pick him up there.

He had 9 INTs before being benched for Leaf last year.

soybean
11-11-2007, 02:42 PM
that just shows his maturity.

asmitty45
11-11-2007, 05:52 PM
No, he's not a first rounder. He's a 3rd as of now.

If he tests well i think he could move up but there are a lot of good QB's in this class and Dixon's inconsistency throughout his career could be a red flag.

Tampa 2 4 life
11-11-2007, 05:54 PM
The Senior Bowl will be huge for Dixon. If he does well there, he'll move up to the mid-early second round.

wvfan14
11-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Did Oregon run the spread last year? I don't remember them running it with Leaf.

princefielder28
11-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Did Oregon run the spread last year? I don't remember them running it with Leaf.

Ths cause Leaf was at WSU

BuddyCHRIST
11-11-2007, 10:10 PM
I still don't really like him even as a QB at the next level, he works perfect in Oregon's masterfully planned spread offense where he can run the zone read and always have a reciever pretty much wide open on every play. Now he is a football player and could prove me wrong, but add in that he's only had one good year I just don't see him translating. And imo it would be a shame if he gets picked higher than Troy Smith did.

Yung Flippa
11-11-2007, 10:31 PM
He's not a first rounder because of the whole possible baseball situation. But even if the situation wasn't there, he would probably be a late 2nd or early 3rd round pick at the highest.

Cashmoney
11-11-2007, 10:49 PM
no, he cant go any higher than the third or my titans wont be able to snatch him up.

rfc17
11-12-2007, 08:59 PM
agree with those who dont see him as a first rounder. late first day pick at best right now. who knows for sure where he'll go. no one thought Tarvaris Jackson would go as high as he did.

But I personally wouldnt touch Dixon until the 6th or 7th round. Not very big. Doesnt have a GREAT arm. plays in a non-pro style offense. throwing motion could use some work. has only been good for one season. way too many question marks for my liking.

11-12-2007, 09:14 PM
dennis dixon = akili smith v2..dont fall for this again

brat316
11-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Dixon is i think second day pick, he might be travis Jackson/Troy Smith

skiinginNJ
11-12-2007, 09:23 PM
He's not a first rounder because of the whole possible baseball situation. But even if the situation wasn't there, he would probably be a late 2nd or early 3rd round pick at the highest.

he isnt much of a baseball prospect. he is intruiging because of his size/athleticism, but he should focus on football becuase he will be drafted higher and has a better chance at playing in the pros

soily
11-12-2007, 09:23 PM

LOL, he's nothing like Akili Smith skill wise.

toonsterwu
11-12-2007, 10:01 PM
I think Dixon is, right now, in the mix to be the 4th QB off the board, with guys like Joe Flacco, Josh Johnson, and Colt Brennan. I could see him go anywhere from the 2nd-4th.

VoteLynnSwan
11-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Ths cause Leaf was at WSU

Brady Leaf.

thebow305
11-13-2007, 06:31 PM
I would love to have him as a Wide Reciever. But I think that is exactly why we won't even see him go to the NFL. He almost quit Football for Baseball in the offseason, where he was drafted. If he is forced to play WR, which I think he will be because he is way too slight to play QB in the NFL, he will go back to baseball.

Thoughts??

11-13-2007, 06:34 PM
I would love to have him as a Wide Reciever. But I think that is exactly why we won't even see him go to the NFL. He almost quit Football for Baseball in the offseason, where he was drafted. If he is forced to play WR, which I think he will be because he is way too slight to play QB in the NFL, he will go back to baseball.

Thoughts??

yea they might do what the jets did to brad smith who is of a very similar size and build and convert him to receiver..too bad

no love
11-13-2007, 07:06 PM

Thoughts??

I don't think its a matter of his frame, because he can workout and get bigger. He has great height which is the big factor in knocking a qb's size. 10-15 pounds for a guy with a 6'4" frame is not unreasonable.

Baseball is always a possibility because of how lucrative it can be, ultimately it's a matter of whether he thinks he can etch out a career as a baseball player, bc he is not an amazing player from what I have heard.

VoteLynnSwan
11-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Dennis Dixon CF

.176AVG 28G 74AB 8runs 13hits 12B 13B 0HR 7RBI 16TB 15BB 22SO 5SB 0CS .322OBP .216SLG .538OPS

obviously you can't judge a guy from one year in minor league ball... but Dixon's career in baseball doesn't look all that promising, obviously if he likes baseball better then he should definitely pursue it, but his future is in football.

San Diego Chicken
11-14-2007, 04:11 AM
I think his stock is going to come down to the NC game, if Oregon wins out and the BCS lets them in. Say he plays an LSU or Oklahoma, if he leads his team to a win, or at least a close loss but he has a great individual performance, it will probably impress the scouts enough to give him a big bump. Look at what it did for Vince Young. He went from being a mid first, maybe late first rounder to the top QB, and a top 3 pick. Dixon probably won't have a Vince Young performance but if he plays well, he could get into the first round (it will also depend on where the scouts eventually rate the QB's that are ahead of him at the moment). You could also go the opposite route, and say that if he has a Troy Smith performance, his stock could go that way too.

Cashmoney
11-14-2007, 09:16 AM
I think Dixon is, right now, in the mix to be the 4th QB off the board, with guys like Joe Flacco, Josh Johnson, and Colt Brennan. I could see him go anywhere from the 2nd-4th.

what? no henne or ainge?

lod01
11-15-2007, 06:29 PM

Best post of thread. The guy will be a zero in the NFL.

Babylon
11-15-2007, 06:58 PM
I think his stock is going to come down to the NC game, if Oregon wins out and the BCS lets them in. Say he plays an LSU or Oklahoma, if he leads his team to a win, or at least a close loss but he has a great individual performance, it will probably impress the scouts enough to give him a big bump. Look at what it did for Vince Young. He went from being a mid first, maybe late first rounder to the top QB, and a top 3 pick. Dixon probably won't have a Vince Young performance but if he plays well, he could get into the first round (it will also depend on where the scouts eventually rate the QB's that are ahead of him at the moment). You could also go the opposite route, and say that if he has a Troy Smith performance, his stock could go that way too.

Chris Leak had a real good championship game too. I just think he's not going to get that much attention in the draft, probably mid rounder but i dont see much higher than that.

Tampa 2 4 life
11-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Any chance he had just went up in flames tonight. No team will draft him in the first with injury concerns.

bored of education
11-15-2007, 09:29 PM
I wouldn't even draft Dixon.

Cason on the other hand definatly top 3 corner in the draft. Even plays in which he has no impact, he sticks to his guy like glue. Also returns are solid, great open field tackling. Wow. I have seen him play a few times figured maybe 1st rounder...I actually just watched him every time he is on the field, he is going to be very good.

Scott Wright
11-15-2007, 09:31 PM
Even without the knee injury lingering he isn't a 1st rounder. In my mind he's a 3rd or 4th.

tylerb929
11-15-2007, 10:26 PM
For a 3rd or a 4th rounder he may be the next Randle El, he's got the size and the legs to play WR. Hell, the Jaguars spent a 1st rounder on a QB to convert to a WR, so I guess it all depends on his combine/pro day results.

11-15-2007, 10:38 PM
honestly i think hes gonna fall and end up being a late round pick no earlier then a 5th as a QB. however if he decides to switch to WR he can be an intriguing 2nd or 3rd rounder for sure.

IrishBrowns
11-15-2007, 10:39 PM
I think this post was supposed to say "Is Dennis Dixon a 4th Rounder?"

no disrespect

BucSappy
11-15-2007, 11:35 PM
For a 3rd or a 4th rounder he may be the next Randle El, he's got the size and the legs to play WR. Hell, the Jaguars spent a 1st rounder on a QB to convert to a WR, so I guess it all depends on his combine/pro day results.

Since when was Randle El a good player? He is a garbage WR.

lod01
11-16-2007, 10:29 AM
It's too bad so many of these 'running' QB's get to play at the college level as they never are anything longterm in the NFL. Just a flash in the pan. It wins you games in college but the NFL suffers because there is a lack of development. Now with the loss of the NFLE, we lose even more potential NFL caliber QB's like K. Warner was. I really have no idea why any NFL team would even consider players like Dixon or Tebow as a QB. Their track record is horrid. Tebow still has a year + to learn and his last few games have shown progress.

San Diego Chicken
11-16-2007, 04:44 PM
It's too bad so many of these 'running' QB's get to play at the college level as they never are anything longterm in the NFL. Just a flash in the pan. It wins you games in college but the NFL suffers because there is a lack of development. Now with the loss of the NFLE, we lose even more potential NFL caliber QB's like K. Warner was. I really have no idea why any NFL team would even consider players like Dixon or Tebow as a QB. Their track record is horrid. Tebow still has a year + to learn and his last few games have shown progress.

How do you figure? Randall Cunningham, Steve Young, John Elway, Donovan McNabb, all successful QB's in the last 15 or so years who could really run. How many "dual threat" guys with NFL skills that were given a chance actually washed out? And please don't say Michael Vick.

Being able to run as a QB is still a valuable skill, as long as you can pass it too. You convert many third downs when there's nothing downfield. How can it be a drawback, really? I would say only if a QB is completely one dimensional and takes off before going through his progressions. Also, being able to move around and buy time inside of the pocket, while keeping eyes downfield, is easily one of the most important attributes to have as a QB.

Geo
11-16-2007, 05:01 PM
In evaluating Dixon as a pro prospect, he's got a great deal of talent from the neck down, but my main area of interest/analysis would be from the neck up. Pure talent can succeed in college, but the pro game is a different beast altogether.

geaux tigers
11-17-2007, 04:07 AM
torn ACL with about half a season of good play. i think Dixon will go UDFA.

duckseason
11-17-2007, 05:34 AM
In evaluating Dixon as a pro prospect, he's got a great deal of talent from the neck down, but my main area of interest/analysis would be from the neck up. Pure talent can succeed in college, but the pro game is a different beast altogether.

I agree. No matter how gifted a guy is athletically, he needs to be sharp upstairs in order to succeed in the NFL. There's just no way around that.

When Dixon first started seeing playing time at Oregon, I was very critical of his decision making and his intelligence in general. But after watching his progress over the last few years and listening to Chip Kelly and Mike Bellotti rave about his maturity and intelligence, I'm sold on him as a legit NFL prospect. It's not easy to graduate early while playing football at the same time. That's got to tell us something about his work ethic, at least. I forget the exact stat, but Bellotti was talking about how they look back at the tape of every game and grade the QB on their decision making. He said Dixon was consistently up in the 90% range, higher than any QB he's coached. I forget the exact number he said though. 90 something.

My main concern at this point is obviously that knee. After that, I'd be concerned about his ability to assimilate to a pro-style offense. I'm sure he could adapt and learn with the right coaches, but NFL teams just don't do anything close to what we've been doing with our offensive scheme here at Oregon. I think he's a project QB who could end up being something special if he maintains that work ethic and lands in the right situation. I think a place like Detroit might be a great fit for him. He really would be the ideal backup for Vince Young, but I don't see that happening for some reason.

osi+ap=allshallperish
11-17-2007, 10:26 AM
agree with those who dont see him as a first rounder. late first day pick at best right now. who knows for sure where he'll go. no one thought Tarvaris Jackson would go as high as he did.

I thought TJ would be a first day pick with a shot at the second round. Still think he'll be a good one if he gets an oline that can protect him while dropping back, i'm looking at that right side, some receivers who aren't terrible and a coaching staff that can actually call a good game.

Addict
11-17-2007, 12:30 PM
torn ACL with about half a season of good play. i think Dixon will go UDFA.

I just love your optimism

MaxV
11-17-2007, 12:56 PM
He won't go undrafted, but I don't think the injury may cost him money.

IndyColtScout
11-17-2007, 01:24 PM
He won't go undrafted, but I don't think the injury may cost him money.

The problem is his knee will not be healed to the point of doing combine/workout drills maybe until right before the draft, maybe not at all. I think he is a day 2 prospect for sure. Dixon isn't McGahee or that calibur. I never really thought he was a 1st rounder at all. I'de say 5th rounder.

Geo
11-17-2007, 01:43 PM
I too think he'll go mid/late Day Two, with his team likely stashing him on PUP for his rookie season (he doesn't have much business playing as a rookie anyways, really).

KCJ58
11-17-2007, 01:44 PM
to answer your 1st question...

...NO!

CARDIAC CAT 7
11-17-2007, 05:01 PM
First of hes really like 6'2" , 190 lbs.. The one concern I had about him was his size and would his frame be able to handle a NFL style of play. Him getting hurt I think hurts his stock atleast a round's worth. I think hes a 4-5th rounder who some might try to make a wideout. Wouldnt be suprised if he wanted to try to just play baseball either.

lod01
11-17-2007, 06:49 PM
How do you figure? Randall Cunningham, Steve Young, John Elway, Donovan McNabb, all successful QB's in the last 15 or so years who could really run. How many "dual threat" guys with NFL skills that were given a chance actually washed out? And please don't say Michael Vick.

Being able to run as a QB is still a valuable skill, as long as you can pass it too. You convert many third downs when there's nothing downfield. How can it be a drawback, really? I would say only if a QB is completely one dimensional and takes off before going through his progressions. Also, being able to move around and buy time inside of the pocket, while keeping eyes downfield, is easily one of the most important attributes to have as a QB.

They could also throw the football, thus not a 'running' QB. Of course McNabb throws 1 good pass and then a pass that maks you go 'wtf was that?' Guys like V. Young, Vick, Garrard, etc. is what I am talking about. They have no ability whatsoever to read a defense. Hence it's 1st read, then run.

lod01
11-17-2007, 06:51 PM

But I personally wouldnt touch Dixon until the 6th or 7th round. Not very big. Doesnt have a GREAT arm. plays in a non-pro style offense. throwing motion could use some work. has only been good for one season. way too many question marks for my liking.

But we can see how well that is working out. That guy is worthless. He gets to be punished again this weekend.