PDA

View Full Version : RBs that run too hard for their own good

sweetness=G.O.A.T.
11-11-2007, 07:51 PM
The injury today to Adrian Peterson,of which I hope is not serious, has me thinking about some of the great RBs that had their carrers cut short due to injury or illness. Here are a few that I can think of (I'm sure there are many more from each team that nobody realizes, even college greats, who could be told about):

1. Earl Campbell- I don't think it was one specific injury that ended his carrer, but the constant pounding he delivered and recieved had a huge effect on the span of his carrer. I believe he is one of the greatest RBs of all-time, top ten. The size and speed was the likes no one had seen before him except for maybe Jim Brown.

2. Bo Jackson- To witness this guy run the ball was a site to behold. A rader fan would probably want him to touch the ball every snap. As a Charger fan I hated seeing him in the game, he was the most feared back I have ever seen. Like Campbell, but with more speed, was an incredible blend of speed and power. He was ferocious, he was faster in pads than anyone I've ever seen.

3.Gayle Sayers- I can't do this man justice with my attempts to justify his position on my list, I can only say that I was a witness to the two great backs ahead of him on this meaningless list. He was what everybody thought Reggie Bush would be. Sometimes he is forgotten when the great RBs subject comes up, but I bet he would have held the the record for yards from line of scrimmage for quite some time.

4.Terrell Davis- Davis had some incredible years with the Broncos, he helped Elway get his deserved SB rings. He rushed for over 2,000 years in a season and won a superbowl MVP award, both of which none of the above can claim. I think his terrible migraines and the unrealistic views of the Broncos O-line have diminished his efforts.

I hope you all can remind us of the many I didn't include.

d34ng3l021
11-11-2007, 08:25 PM
In todays game:

Frank Gore

Average OT LB
11-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Adrain peterson is prolly a better version of fred taylor.. a good back who gets hurt alot.

Vince Lombardi
11-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Eddie George was a great back who just took too much of a pounding to sustain a long career.

bored of education
11-11-2007, 08:45 PM
marion barber
marshawn lynch
larry johnson

skinzzfan25
11-11-2007, 08:54 PM
marion barber
marshawn lynch
larry johnson

I agree with these 3 the most.

When Marshawn runs, it looks like he's pissed at somebody, tryna take off some heads. I like that though lol.

osi+ap=allshallperish
11-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Brandon Jacobs anyone? When he runs it's like a cement block being smashed through walls of defenders until the block cracks.

neko4
11-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Bo had pre-existing injuries didnt he? I ussually associate speed with him though.

osi+ap=allshallperish
11-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Bo had pre-existing injuries didnt he? I ussually associate speed with him though.

He may have had great speed but he ran like a bull.

sweetness34
11-11-2007, 09:33 PM
WTF? You stole my username....

KILLERSANTA
11-11-2007, 09:37 PM
marion barber
marshawn lynch
larry johnson

Barber will suck in about 2 more years.......But boy do I love watching him now!

The Unseen
11-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Maurice Drew kinda fits here. He just barrels into defenders on about every openfield run.

bernbabybern820
11-11-2007, 10:04 PM
WTF? You stole my username....

He's saying you're the greatest of all time. DUH.

Bills2083
11-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Marshawn Lynch for sure. He NEVER gives up on a play. He's always fighting for that extra yard. I just hope that he doesn't get injured because of it.

SenorGato
11-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Adrain peterson is prolly a better version of fred taylor.. a good back who gets hurt alot.

Fred Taylor might seriously be the most underrated RB of his or any generation...well he would be if he'd stay healthy.

art vandelay
11-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Michael Turner.

Yung Flippa
11-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Past: Jamal Lewis, Only 28 years old, but barely has anything left in the tank.
Present: Marion Barber & Marshawn Lynch

jballa838
11-11-2007, 10:49 PM
I agree with these 3 the most.

When Marshawn runs, it looks like he's pissed at somebody, tryna take off some heads. I like that though lol.
thats called beastmode

d34ng3l021
11-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Michael Turner.

Nah. He is a backup. He needs to run that hard to get a starting job. Maybe if he was a franchise back, and ran that hard...that could be more of a problem.

Man_Of_Steel
11-11-2007, 10:57 PM
For the most part every back except Shawn Alexander.

PACKmanN
11-11-2007, 10:58 PM
don't know but what about Brandon Jackson? anyone can help me out.

Stash
11-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Justin Fargas runs too hard for his own good. He's not very big but he just runs straight north-south right into people. He may not be the best back in the world but he runs with passion.

no love
11-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Justin Fargas runs too hard for his own good. He's not very big but he just runs straight north-south right into people. He may not be the best back in the world but he runs with passion.

He runs with passion but he definitely needs to learn to run smarter. He could probably actually gain more yards and break more tackles if he got low and dropped his shoulder.

Frank Gore runs too hard for his own good. Evident by 2 reconstructed knees and shoulder surgery on both shoulders after his first year (he played the whole year injured).

GB12
11-11-2007, 11:59 PM
don't know but what about Brandon Jackson? anyone can help me out.
Brandon Jackson runs like a girl.

BroadwayJoe10
11-12-2007, 12:00 AM
For the most part every back except Shawn Alexander.

halarious haha...out of all that have been mentioned i definately agree, but the most fun to watch is marion barber. that one run where he was in the endzone and somehow managed to get out was just unreal.

Green Bay Scat
11-12-2007, 12:15 AM
i think they should ban corners to tackle at the legs. Only reason he went down is cause Harris went low. If corners would stop being bitches and actually tackle someone people wouldnt be getting hurt like this.

Empire
11-12-2007, 12:36 AM
i think they should ban corners to tackle at the legs. Only reason he went down is cause Harris went low. If corners would stop being bitches and actually tackle someone people wouldnt be getting hurt like this.

Yeah lets 'pussify' this league even more. Don't know why they even wear pads anymore in the NFL, might as well just make it a flag football league.

Moses
11-12-2007, 01:01 AM

That's an excellent post. Please continue sharing your eye-opening opinions with us.

jsagan77
11-12-2007, 02:08 AM
Clinton Portis anyone? He plays every play lights out, not just when he is running the ball. He is what, 25 and only has a couple years left...

fenikz
11-12-2007, 04:32 AM
who ever the bucs new starting rb is, he seems like he is trying to run over his line as they try to open a hole

BufFan71
11-12-2007, 07:33 AM
Chris Brown

cowboyz
11-12-2007, 08:03 AM
Maurice Drew kinda fits here. He just barrels into defenders on about every openfield run.

he runs hard but doesn't take many big hits. he's just too short for defenders to get a good shot at him.

and he's always giving guys shots to their gut. really amazing guy.

stl9erfan
11-12-2007, 04:01 PM
In todays game:

Frank Gore

You know, last year you would have definitely been right. This year, I think Gore has placed more of an emphasis on being faster and quicker, though, than running over people. I'm totally fine with that, because maybe he'll last a little longer in the league that way, and given the way SF's OL has performed this year it probably wouldn't matter if Gore became Earl Campbell Part II, he still wouldn't be getting very far.

skinzzfan25
11-12-2007, 04:08 PM
thats called beastmode

hahaha lil boosie

good song btw

BufFan71
11-12-2007, 04:33 PM
i think Lynch runs to hard, i hope he isnt completely worn out by his 2nd year

scottyboy
11-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Brandon Jacobs anyone? When he runs it's like a cement block being smashed through walls of defenders until the block cracks.

that's running TOO hard? i think not.

people thought he'd be "too big" or "not fast enough" to be a starting full time back in the NFL. boy, were they wrong. I think it's impossible for any non Rutgers player/grad defender to take Brandon Jacobs down one on one

11-12-2007, 05:12 PM
ronnie brown for sure fits this list

SeanTaylorRIP
11-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Portis has to be at the top of the list, he crushes defenders, but in return hurts himself. He is 225 but delivers blows like he's 500.

11-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Portis has to be at the top of the list, he crushes defenders, but in return hurts himself. He is 225 but delivers blows like he's 500.

i dunno but ive seen other RBs out there hit harder then portis. MBIII is clearly atop this list followed by everyone else.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-12-2007, 05:21 PM
i dunno but ive seen other RBs out there hit harder then portis. MBIII is clearly atop this list followed by everyone else.

Yeah sorry I mean near the top of the list, yeah Barber is nasty.

neko4
11-12-2007, 05:25 PM
he runs hard but doesn't take many big hits. he's just too short for defenders to get a good shot at him.

and he's always giving guys shots to their gut. really amazing guy.
Thats what I love about Mojo!
Hes just to hard to catch

11-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Thats what I love about Mojo!
Hes just to hard to catch

more like a pinball than anything :D