PDA

View Full Version : Sacrificial offering to the Pats

ny10804
11-11-2007, 11:59 PM
... or in other words, the NFC's representative in Super Bowl XLII.

Who will it be?

Nitschke-Hawk
11-12-2007, 12:31 AM
The Packers are definitely the best equipped defense to cover their receivers. It would be a question of how the young players on offense would perform in that situation, and then how frustrated Favre would get by mistakes. Probably not that well because Belichick would show them things they've never seen, ever.

You would need the Packers Defense and Cowboys Offense to beat them. Whoever gets homefield advantage will probably make it. There's an easy answer. Of course I picked the Packers though.

thule
11-12-2007, 01:16 AM
What makes Charles Woodson and Al Harris better bets to stop NE's passing attack than Terrence Newman and Anthony Henry?

VoteLynnSwan
11-12-2007, 01:22 AM
What makes Charles Woodson and Al Harris better bets to stop NE's passing attack than Terrence Newman and Anthony Henry?

absolutely nothing...

Shiver
11-12-2007, 02:00 AM
Dallas is by far the best of the NFC, and I wouldn't rule them out in a rematch with New England. They would be underdogs, sure, but they didn't have Henry and Newman was still hurt when they played them the first time. If they played the Patriots with those two are full strength I think they would give them a great game.

Moses
11-12-2007, 02:02 AM
Dallas is by far the best of the NFC, and I wouldn't rule them out in a rematch with New England. They would be underdogs, sure, but they didn't have Henry and Newman was still hurt when they played them the first time. If they played the Patriots with those two are full strength I think they would give them a great game.

How is Dallas "by far" the best of the NFC? What have they done that the Packers haven't?

thule
11-12-2007, 02:05 AM
How is Dallas "by far" the best of the NFC? What have they done that the Packers haven't?

Dominated a competitive division....beat two teams above .500 in at their respected homes.

I dont' want to get into a who is better...because that day is coming...but that is something that they have done.

Shiver
11-12-2007, 02:06 AM

Their lone loss was too New England, without Anthony Henry. The Packers lost to the Bears. Dallas has dominated more while Green Bay has won a few games in the last moment. Not to mention they have more balance between the run and pass.

Moses
11-12-2007, 02:08 AM
Dominated a competitive division....beat two teams above .500 in at their respected homes.

I dont' want to get into a who is better...because that day is coming...but that is something that they have done.

The Packers have already been every team in the NFC East (minus the Cowboys who they have yet to play) so that argument is moot.

To say that the Cowboys are "by far" the best team in the NFC is ridiculous.

thule
11-12-2007, 02:09 AM

Underdogs for sure....Newman on Welker in the slot would be huge in this game...not to mention Henry's size on Moss. Reeves is a mismatch against Stallworth...but what team can match up talent for talent with the Pats. Reeves is a speed guy...so it would be a competitive matchup with the obvious edge to Stallworth. Another couple of things worth noting...Ellis is playing as good as he ever has...something that didn't factor in a lot in the NE game...I believe he is just now 1 year complete from his ACL surgery.

Like you said Newman and Henry both on the field healthy would be a big help.

Last but not least...Tank Johnson will help spell Ratliff...which in turn will keep Raliff more disruptive over the course of the game.

This is a cowboys team that is only getting more healthy at this point...barring any injuries they match-up as good as anyone in the NFL to the pats.

Also another thing that could impact the game is a Terry Glenn. Now obviously he won't be the same as last year...but if he can get back on the field he could add yet another dimension to this offense.

Moses
11-12-2007, 02:10 AM
Their lone loss was too New England, without Anthony Henry. The Packers lost to the Bears. Dallas has dominated more while Green Bay has won a few games in the last moment. Not to mention they have more balance between the run and pass.

Sort of like the Buffalo game where they barely scrapped out a victory in the closing seconds? The Packers have the better defence and passing offence. Yes, the Cowboys have a better rushing attack.

Explain how that equates to a team that is "by far" the best in the NFC.

thule
11-12-2007, 02:13 AM
The Packers have already been every team in the NFC East (minus the Cowboys who they have yet to play) so that argument is moot.

To say that the Cowboys are "by far" the best team in the NFC is ridiculous.

A eagles team in W1 with a gimpy McNabb isn't that impressive. Let alone in your house by 3 pts.
The Giants were still a mess in W2 defensively.
Then barely beat the redskins once again in your house.

Now you guys have some good wins...In MN and beating SD is impressive...but that loss to Chicago at home hurts.

thule
11-12-2007, 02:18 AM
Sort of like the Buffalo game where they barely scrapped out a victory in the closing seconds? The Packers have the better defence and passing offence. Yes, the Cowboys have a better rushing attack.

Dallas is better across the board offensively except for passing offense...which is a 24 yard difference...however ypc is a difference of a yard per attempt which is probably the more telling stat. When Farve has 60 more attempts than Romo yet only averages 24 more yards per game I think it's pretty telling tale.

For the record...Buffalo isn't a team to be overlooked this year...they are playing great football for the past 5-6 weeks.

Moses
11-12-2007, 02:19 AM
A eagles team in W1 with a gimpy McNabb isn't that impressive. Let alone in your house by 3 pts.
The Giants were still a mess in W2 defensively.
Then barely beat the redskins once again in your house.

Now you guys have some good wins...In MN and beating SD is impressive...but that loss to Chicago at home hurts.

I guess we can just ignore New England pumping the Cowboys by 21 in their own stadium. And the Cowboys BARELY scraping a win together in Buffalo, by a whole point. Or the 10 point victory at home against the Giants, who "were a mess defensively".

Arguments can be made both ways. Maybe the Cowboys are a better team right now. My point is that it's too close to call and saying they are "by far" the best team in the NFC is ridiculous.

Moses
11-12-2007, 02:24 AM
Dallas is better across the board offensively except for passing offense...which is a 24 yard difference...however ypc is a difference of a yard per attempt which is probably the more telling stat. When Farve has 60 more attempts than Romo yet only averages 24 more yards per game I think it's pretty telling tale.

For the record...Buffalo isn't a team to be overlooked this year...they are playing great football for the past 5-6 weeks.

I would love to hear how Dallas' defence is better than Green Bay's.

Also, if you seriously believe the Cowboys have a better passing attack than Green Bay you are sorely mistaken based on what has happened this year. The Packers have one of the worst rushing attacks in the league. Yet, they still somehow manage to put up the 4th most yards in the league. Why? It must have something to do with their league best passing attack, above even the mighty Patriots. Romo also turns the ball over more often.

thule
11-12-2007, 02:30 AM
I would love to hear how Dallas' defence is better than Green Bay's.

Also, if you seriously believe the Cowboys have a better passing attack than Green Bay you are sorely mistaken based on what has happened this year. The Packers have one of the worst rushing attacks in the league. Yet, they still somehow manage to put up the 4th most yards in the league. Why? It must have something to do with their league best passing attack, above even the mighty Patriots. Romo also turns the ball over more often.

I don't recall saying Dallas Defense is better...although I think it is debatable both ways.

Romo also throws more TDs...

fenikz
11-12-2007, 04:19 AM
The Arizona Cardinals.

yodabear
11-12-2007, 09:21 AM
The St. Louis Rams will return from the depths of the unknown and come back strong and sneak into the playoffs and go on a Colorado Rockie like run. Winning 10 of their last 11 only losing to the Steelers, and unlike the Rockies, the Rams will finish it off with a ring baby.

In all seriousness, I think it will be the Cowboys, and I don't think they are the sacraficial lamb. I believe in a thing called Tony Romo and a thing called Nick Folk. This is gonna be super bowl 36 all over again except roles will be reversed and the Cowboys will be the Pats and the Pats will be the Rams. And Nick Folk will come in and kick a game winning, 48 yard field goal to win the game 23-20, it was 20-17 in 36, but this will be a bit different. The Cowboys are happy, Jerry Jones french kisses Michael Irvin, Wade Phillips dies choking on the gatorade bath, Belicheck knees TO in the nuts, and last of all and most importantly, yodachu become administrator of NFLDC because Ward promised me when the Cowboys won the super bowl, I would become admin, and that is happening this year. The end on a story book season.

yodabear
11-12-2007, 09:30 AM
But yodachu, the Patriots already beat the Cowboys this year. So what, in super bowl 36 year, the Rams won 24-17 in Foxborough, but the Pats won in the super bowl. And the year the Rams beat the Titans, the Titans beat the Rams 24-21 in the regular season. It is happening baby. Cowboys 23, Patriots 20

keylime_5
11-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Dallas is quite good, but Green Bay is awesome. Ryan Grant has been a beast since they started using him a few weeks ago vs the Broncos. I remember him at Notre Dame, but never knew he was in the NFL at all. If Green Bay can continue the balance on both sides of the ball they have I don't think even Dallas will stop them this year.

PoopSandwich
11-12-2007, 09:48 AM
But yodachu, the Patriots already beat the Cowboys this year. So what, in super bowl 36 year, the Rams won 24-17 in Foxborough, but the Pats won in the super bowl. And the year the Rams beat the Titans, the Titans beat the Rams 24-21 in the regular season. It is happening baby. Cowboys 23, Patriots 20

Now youre talking to yourself?

Haha ;)

BigDawg819
11-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Screw the Pats opponent, sacrifice Steve McNair instead!

bsaza2358
11-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Steve McNair would only anger the football gods...

bsaza2358
11-12-2007, 10:23 AM
I think Dallas and Green Bay look like the best teams in the NFC right now. However, there are still 7 games left, and now all teams are off their byes. Plenty of time for a team to get red hot and roll through.

BigDawg819
11-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Steve McNair would only anger the football gods...

True but he already angers the fans of Baltimore so I ask where are the football gods when you need them?

bsaza2358
11-12-2007, 10:40 AM
In Baltimore, there is no god anyway... At least not football gods. I think those guys stayed in Cleveland.

BigDawg819
11-12-2007, 10:58 AM
In Baltimore, there is no god anyway... At least not football gods. I think those guys stayed in Cleveland.

No there is just no sports gods whatsoever. Look at the plight of the Orioles.....

Shiver
11-12-2007, 11:09 AM
The Packers have the better defence and passing offence. Yes, the Cowboys have a better rushing attack.

That is funny how you would consider a team that has a whole yard advantage in yards per pass and seven more passing touchdowns inferior. Yardage (or "Total") statistics are almost worthless. Green Bay is the number one yardage offense. Why? Because they throw it more than any other team in the NFL. In regards to yards per attempt or touchdowns New England and Dallas are much better, they just don't pass it 40 times per game because they have a thing called "running" the football. I haven't even mentioned the scoring differential.

yodabear
11-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Now youre talking to yourself?

Haha ;)

Yodachu do what Yodachu do.

TitleTown088
11-12-2007, 11:51 AM
I actually think it's ok for Dallas to be considered better as of now. I couild care less. I don't think anyone will accept the Packers as elite in the NFC until Favre tosses for 400 on them in two weeks and they shut down the Dallas rushing attack as well.

ny10804
11-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Packers' opponents' are 34-29 in games not against the Packers.

Dallas' opponents' are 31-32 in games not against the Cowboys.

Green Bay is +9.5 in points differential.

Dallas is +11.2 in points differential.

The teams are pretty equal.

ny10804
11-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Green Bay is the number one yardage offense. Why? Because they throw it more than any other team in the NFL. In regards to yards per attempt or touchdowns New England and Dallas are much better, they just don't pass it 40 times per game because they have a thing called "running" the football.

The Packers are 3rd in the league in yards per play (5.8), behind only NE's 6.4 and Dallas' 6.5. In addition to being 1st in PAs, they're 30th in rushing attempts. It just so happens that throwing the ball has given them the best chance to win, and they've capitalized on that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Green Bay's per game rushing average up to around 90 by the end of the season (about 106 yards per game from this point on).

One last thing: a lot of Brett's completions have come off screens, dumpoffs, and slant patterns designed as extensions of the running game. 66 passes have gone to RBs/FBs this year (random examples: NYG backs have 38; Dallas backs have 43). A lot of times he'll tell a WR to run a quick slant and throw him the ball, all while the o-line is run blocking. This can partially explain the high passing, low rushing attempt averages.

etk
11-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Any Given Sunday

That's all I have to say.

neko4
11-12-2007, 09:09 PM

Johnny Unitas? Oh wait, he left and went to indy.

That is funny how you would consider a team that has a whole yard advantage in yards per pass and seven more passing touchdowns inferior. Yardage (or "Total") statistics are almost worthless. Green Bay is the number one yardage offense. Why? Because they throw it more than any other team in the NFL. In regards to yards per attempt or touchdowns New England and Dallas are much better, they just don't pass it 40 times per game because they have a thing called "running" the football. I haven't even mentioned the scoring differential.
Ryan Grant will bring change! The Ghost of Lombardi Said So!
Well hopefuly, he put up 100 on Minny, but 30 of that came on one run, still impressive

yodabear
11-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Any Given Sunday

That's all I have to say.

I didn't get laid, so that saying is so false.

Boston
11-12-2007, 09:39 PM

Are you kidding me? The Packers passing offense is like AD, but just the opposite. Until yesterday, teams didn't have to worry about the running game, at all. So that leaves you with passing the ball as your only option. Obviously teams know/knew this, but weren't able to stop them. You really can't measure this in "statistics." If Favre, and the passing offense in general, was having a poor season, you would have in arguement.

I kind of like this underdog montra that the Packers have had ALL year. It's nice. Though I'm kind of wondering when the "experts" will realize 8-1 isn't luck, believe it or not. But, yeah, we've definately had an easy schedule, right...

P-L
11-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Let me get this straight. You Packers fans seriously think you have a better passing offense than the Patriots?

Boston
11-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Let me get this straight. You Packers fans seriously think you have a better passing offense than the Patriots?

Cowboys...and Patriots. ;)

I think we have the potential, if you will, to be on par with the Patriots, but as of right now, we're not yet at that level.

And...just a random factoid...

There's no question the Packers are going to be a passing team the rest of the season, but their ability to run the ball might determine whether they can get better. Since Grant took over the halfback job in the second quarter against Denver three weeks ago, the Packers have topped 400 yards total each game.

The impact can be seen as well in Favre's performance over the past 11 quarters.

He has completed 75 of 103 passes (72.3%) for 958 yards and six touchdowns with two interceptions in that time for a passer rating of 112.8. Before that, he had completed 163 of 251 passes (64.9%) for 1,799 yards and 10 touchdowns with six interceptions for a passer rating of 89.4.

Favre passed for 331 yards against Denver, 360 yards against Kansas City and 351 yards against Minnesota. The total yards gained were 430, 432 and 488 in those games.

BigDawg819
11-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Johnny Unitas? Oh wait, he left and went to indy.

Is that an attempt at humor or are you just that ignorant?

Jvig43
11-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Im going with Dallas until Green bay proves their better by beating them in a couple weeks. i think Dallas has too much firepower for Green bay to handle, even with a defense as good as theirs.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
11-12-2007, 10:19 PM
I have to disagree on them being better than the Patriots.

QB- NE
WRs- NE by a longshot
TE-NE
OL-NE

DWilliams2IndyColts
11-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Lions will go to the Super Bowl and lose to the Pats 98-2 with 7 td passes by Tom Brady in the 4th. The saftey came in the 1st quarter when Matt Cassel muffed the first snap and dove on it.