PDA

View Full Version : AD torn knee ligament

soybean
11-12-2007, 01:36 PM
damn...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3106749

Shiver
11-12-2007, 01:37 PM
The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports Adrian Peterson (torn lateral knee ligament) is expected to be out for up to three weeks.

The guy just cannot avoid the random injuries.

Ewing
11-12-2007, 01:38 PM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f130/Ewing21403/4chan/crazyarnold.gif

[Insert Obscenities]

Giantsfan1080
11-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Hopefully they let him heal up and don't rush him back out there if he's not fully healthy.

djp
11-12-2007, 01:43 PM
At least it's not the ACL, the LCL is the least important ligament in the knee. He should be fine next year, the Vikings are absolutely ******** if they put Peterson back in this season. It's best to just make sure he is ready for next season.

Geo
11-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Best wishes to AD for a quick and full recovery.

LonghornsLegend
11-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Anyone who knows anything about this type of injury, will it stop him from being as explosive as he was before or once it heals will he be the same?

HoopsDemon12
11-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Well there goes teh stability of my fantasy runningbacks.... @#$#@$%$%@#$%$#@%@#$%@#$%@#$%#@$%@#$%@#$%@#%@#$#@# $%@#$%#$&&&%$^@#^@#$%&#$%$@%

Kiss my shot at the title good bye:(

But anyway i hope they dont rush him back... they have a good proven back in taylor.. and its not liek your winning the superbowl this year.. give him the time he needs... dam him and his random injuries

Nitschke-Hawk
11-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Hah, I've never even heard of the LCL. But I always thought he had freak injuries, this one kinda is too. But I think for a RB with such power and speed his frame is pretty slim. The shorter backs, with more compacted muscle really avoid injuries. I remember at the combine, he was definitely the skinniest RB there. You can see why he gets these injuries. And believe me I wasn't one to downgrade him because of it. But now, it's becoming more obvious that with the fierceness he runs with and his body type it's hard for him to absorb hits. He's also lucky he hasn't had more bone fractures because he's more open to that than anything without significant muscle build.

Flyboy
11-12-2007, 01:53 PM
The guy just cannot avoid the random injuries.

Which, as we all know, was his biggest knock as a prospect.

Sniper
11-12-2007, 02:17 PM
He should be fine next year, the Vikings are absolutely ******** if they put Peterson back in this season.

Never underestimate the stupidity of Brad Childress.

ny10804
11-12-2007, 02:21 PM
DeShawn Foster and DeAngelo Williams better be careful this week vs. the Packers (Larry Johnson last week [AJ Hawk], Adrian Peterson this week [Al Harris]).

Sucks for Minny. If they could get a QB next year they'd be really, really good.

Nitschke-Hawk
11-12-2007, 02:24 PM
DeShawn Foster and DeAngelo Williams better be careful this week vs. the Packers (Larry Johnson last week [AJ Hawk], Adrian Peterson this week [Al Harris]).

Sucks for Minny. If they could get a QB next year they'd be really, really good.

That's a good point, didn't realize it was two weeks in a row. Luckily they seem to mild to medium severity and not year long stuff.

bsaza2358
11-12-2007, 02:27 PM
It is fortunate for anyone who is a fan of football that ADP will have to miss at least one week. I'm not sure ADP can win the rushing title if he misses more than 1 game. Likely that Minnesota will baby him back. No point in hurting him worse in a lost season...

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Ive always liked AD.Its a bummer hes injured again.But on the other hand the Raiders get to play Minnesota this week.

Mr. Stiller
11-12-2007, 02:46 PM
I hate to see this happen..

On a brighter note, Willie Parker may win the rushing crown this year..

umphrey
11-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Does this make Lynch the frontrunner for OROY?

soybean
11-12-2007, 02:56 PM

if he won it over AD it'd be like vince young winning it last year.

kmartin575
11-12-2007, 03:42 PM

Probably simply because he is a runningback and a runningback is more likely to win it than any other position.

However, I think Dwayne Bowe's 38 receptions for 604 yards and 3 touchdowns is more impressive. A rookie WR coming in and making that kind of impact is very rare. I may just be a homer but I find that to be more impressive than Lynch.

no love
11-12-2007, 03:44 PM

You mean like leading his team to an 8-3 record over the final 12 games?

11-12-2007, 03:49 PM

yea over reggie :mad:

CC.SD
11-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Guess they'll have to revoke his invitation to Canton. For now.

yo123
11-12-2007, 03:51 PM

More like over MJD.

jballa838
11-12-2007, 03:55 PM
At least it's not the ACL, the LCL is the least important ligament in the knee. He should be fine next year, the Vikings are absolutely ******** if they put Peterson back in this season. It's best to just make sure he is ready for next season.
it isnt the least important...
he'll require surgury, and for him being able to cut without it is impossible.
Anyone who knows anything about this type of injury, will it stop him from being as explosive as he was before or once it heals will he be the same?
it doesnt heal actually, the only way he'll play this season is if he rehabs it and braces it. it he doesnt rehab it, he could hurt a lot more ligaments worse and he won't be able to cut very well with a brace on.

soybean

was that sarcasm? because RB wouldn't have won it regardless. I was thinking more along the lines of marques colston, and for arguement's sake, maurice drew.

Hawk

Don't mess with us

SchizophrenicBatman
11-12-2007, 04:07 PM

The Panthers issue out their fair share of injuries too. Foster is due to miss some time anyway and if it happens Favre's consecutive games streak might be in danger

not even joking

look up the laundry list of QBs the Panthers have injured the last 3 years

Vikes99ej
11-12-2007, 04:16 PM
At least it's not the ACL. That concerned me the most. I'm just happy he rushed for over 1,000 yards this year. That's way more than I was expecting coming into the season.

Moses
11-12-2007, 04:47 PM

it doesnt heal actually, the only way he'll play this season is if he rehabs it and braces it. it he doesnt rehab it, he could hurt a lot more ligaments worse and he won't be able to cut very well with a brace on.

Huh? He doesn't require surgery.

BroadwayJoe10
11-12-2007, 05:00 PM

Im not exactly sure what you mean by this?? The lateral collateral ligament definately does heal, however it doesn't heal as well as if you had an MCL tear. Generally the only LCL tears that require surgery are grade 3, and it was already said that he had a 2+ not a 3. This is significant, becuase all it means is that he'll have to wear a brace (generally 3 days, but because he is a pro athlete they might opt on the side of caution and gor for a week or two and just start rehab). If he has any type of pain or discomfort just pop some advil.

I have seen numerous LCL tears working in the hospital and rehab center, and best case scenario is that if the swellling and discomfort is low they can generally start rehabbing in a couple of days. Now i wont lie, depending on how the person heals, age and genetics, it could take up to 2 months for a full recovery, however becuase he is a pro athlete with superior genetic makeup and recieving the best treatment money can buy, im sure he could be back in a couple of weeks. However, I dont see why they would rush him back when they have a more than capable backup in chester taylor.

I am gonna go ahead and beleive them when they said its not a grade 3, because if so the surgery is pretty invasive. It cannot be done arthroscopically, which means that it is an "open-knee" procedure. It requires screws or stitches in order to secure the tendon from the fibula to the thigh bone. THat however, is worst case scenario. Thus viking and football fans, I wouldn't be too worried about petersons health for the future. The only thing I would be worried about, is if he can somehow manage to avoid these injuries.

11-12-2007, 05:03 PM
was that sarcasm? because RB wouldn't have won it regardless. I was thinking more along the lines of marques colston, and for arguement's sake, maurice drew.

ur rite MJD was an all around beast last year with all those TDs :D

jballa838
11-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Im not exactly sure what you mean by this?? The lateral collateral ligament definately does heal, however it doesn't heal as well as if you had an MCL tear. Generally the only LCL tears that require surgery are grade 3, and it was already said that he had a 2+ not a 3. This is significant, becuase all it means is that he'll have to wear a brace (generally 3 days, but because he is a pro athlete they might opt on the side of caution and gor for a week or two and just start rehab). If he has any type of pain or discomfort just pop some advil.

I have seen numerous LCL tears working in the hospital and rehab center, and best case scenario is that if the swellling and discomfort is low they can generally start rehabbing in a couple of days. Now i wont lie, depending on how the person heals, age and genetics, it could take up to 2 months for a full recovery, however becuase he is a pro athlete with superior genetic makeup and recieving the best treatment money can buy, im sure he could be back in a couple of weeks. However, I dont see why they would rush him back when they have a more than capable backup in chester taylor.

I am gonna go ahead and beleive them when they said its not a grade 3, because if so the surgery is pretty invasive. It cannot be done arthroscopically, which means that it is an "open-knee" procedure. It requires screws or stitches in order to secure the tendon from the fibula to the thigh bone. THat however, is worst case scenario.
i asked the athletic trainer at my high school and she said it will never heal completely without surgery on its own.

Moses
11-12-2007, 05:09 PM
i asked the athletic trainer at my high school and she said it will never heal completely without surgery on its own.

I would put more stock into the collection of doctors who are going to examine AD than your "high school athletic trainer". Obviously they're going to do what is best for his career in the long-term because they have a lot invested in him. They said he doesn't need surgery (and he also hasn't been placed on IR, indicating a possible return) therefore I would conclude that...he doesn't need surgery.

someone447
11-12-2007, 05:33 PM

There is a reason she is at a high school, it is either she is young and just getting started(ie she doesn't have experience) or she is just plain not very good. Either way I would trust what the NFL doctors say over what she says.

keylime_5
11-12-2007, 07:55 PM
This certainly helps Joe Thomas a little bit in the OROY sweepstakes. Anybody watch Joe? the guy's a beast, best rookie left tackle since Walter Jones they say.

Moses
11-12-2007, 08:00 PM
This certainly helps Joe Thomas a little bit in the OROY sweepstakes. Anybody watch Joe? the guy's a beast, best rookie left tackle since Walter Jones they say.

Is it even possible for an offensive linemen to win an award?

Vikes99ej
11-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Dammnit. AD was running away with the OROY award. I hope he'll still make the Pro Bowl. I guess he'll just have to wait for the MVP award next year.

BroadwayJoe10
11-12-2007, 08:08 PM

I am not gonna put down your athletic trainer, becuase a lot of the ones I have worked with know their stuff in and out. But, being in med-school and having worked in a physical therapy clinic and orthopdeic facility for over a year I have seen a few LCL tears and they do heal with rehab. Maybe she mistook the question or was possibly told the wrong thing. (i can say on numerous times i have been corrected by fellows or doctors becuase something i thought i knew 100% i had misread or was mistold. with the vast amount of info in the medical world its pretty easy to get things confused. I wouldnt doubt if she just heard torn LCL and generally when u tear an LCL it usually is combined with other ligament damage, so she probably was just going by the info she knows. that would be my guess.)

Many times there is a torn LCL there are generally a problem in one of the other 4 ligaments in the knee. THe thing that is most surprising is you generally do not see this injury in football players, it actually is the hardest and least likely knee ligament to be sprained. This is because in order to injur it the force has to come from the inside of the knee, which is generally protected by the placement of the opposite leg. That is the part that is just kinda freakish.

Moses
11-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Dammnit. AD was running away with the OROY award. I hope he'll still make the Pro Bowl. I guess he'll just have to wait for the MVP award next year.

Adrian Peterson 2008/2009 Season Projection (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVchNFaUiVc)

In all seriousness, I hope he manages to kick the injury bug. The NFC North is on the rise and the Vikings need AD to produce for them if they want to become competitive.

neko4
11-12-2007, 08:11 PM
OOOOO That was scary!

BroadwayJoe10
11-12-2007, 08:13 PM

hah i wouldnt put it past him to miss 3 weeks and then rush for 200 yards in 5 straight games and then win it. Although being 3-6 I would hope that they act on the side of caution and just shut him down for the season.

Ward
11-12-2007, 11:28 PM

Post of the week.

TitleTown088
11-13-2007, 03:43 AM
This is how I would look at it if I were an optimistic Viking fan.If the injury heals 100% this could be a blessing in disguise for the Vikings. With AD out, they will likely lose the majority of their games, which will enable them to get another elite prospect for next year.... Bye bye Jackson?

Green Bay Scat
11-13-2007, 03:48 AM
This is why cornerns shouldnt go low on anyone. Corners need to stop being bitches and actually "tackle" someone, not try and end their careers

Green Bay Scat
11-13-2007, 03:57 AM
Is it even possible for an offensive linemen to win an award?

you do know that McNeil had more votes for Rookie of the Year than Reggie Bush right? but as for the award, thats probably impossible, no one cares about us lineman other than the QB's and RB's

Vikes99ej
11-13-2007, 11:52 AM
This is how I would look at it if I were an optimistic Viking fan.If the injury heals 100% this could be a blessing in disguise for the Vikings. With AD out, they will likely lose the majority of their games, which will enable them to get another elite prospect for next year.... Bye bye Jackson?

Yes.... bye bye Jackson indeed. However none of these QBs really strike me as "elite", although I'm still favoring Andre Woodson.

Sniper
11-13-2007, 12:33 PM
This is why cornerns shouldnt go low on anyone. Corners need to stop being bitches and actually "tackle" someone, not try and end their careers

Send em to Michigan. Sometimes they can't cover, but damned if some of them aren't some of the best tacklers.

Moses
11-13-2007, 12:36 PM
you do know that McNeil had more votes for Rookie of the Year than Reggie Bush right? but as for the award, thats probably impossible, no one cares about us lineman other than the QB's and RB's

He came like 4th with 6 votes. Not even close to winning.

Green Bay Scat
11-13-2007, 12:46 PM
He came like 4th with 6 votes. Not even close to winning.

i was merly stating that someone said Reggie should have won the award yet McNeil had more votes, that is all. OLineman will never win the award for 2 main reasons, 1 we dont have stats and even if we did, it wouldnt really make sense. 2 is it takes 5 to be good, while all u need is one good wr/rb/qb u know